Spoiler Alert! The Best Comedy Emmy Goes to…

Get More: Spoilers, Video

Modern Family Emmys 2012In this special “Emmy Comedy Preview” episode of Spoiler Alert!, Matt Mitovich and I lead off by tackling the following provocative question: Can any show beat the kudos juggernaut that is Modern Family?

As Community demonstrated Monday night at the Critics’ Choice Television Awards, the answer is yes. But the Greendale Gang faces an uphill battle knocking off the back-to-back winning ABC smash. First off, it has to land a best comedy series nomination — something it has yet to do.

A liklier scenario has NBC’s Parks and Recreation (which did score a nod last year) or HBO‘s freshman critical darling Girls scoring the upset of all upsets.

We also handicap the major comedy acting categories, including the hotly-contested lead actress derby which, according to our crystal ball, will likely come down to a face-off between an Emmy vet and a long overdue/much-beloved funny lady.

Comments (74)

• parks and rec deserves to win this year.

Comment by Joana Aleixo – June 20, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The whole campaign theme was brilliant. I think it was the best season of Parks & Rec.

Comment by Lee – June 20, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Parks and Rec is simply perfect every single week! It gets better and better!

Comment by meg – June 20, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! THIS! If MF has to win for best comedy, at least give Amy the win…she was genius this season.

Comment by rachelleet – June 20, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Parks only gets better and better!

Comment by Leah – June 20, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GIRLS.

Plain and simple. that show is a stroke of genius.

Community, Parks & Rec, Veep, Happy Endings, Archer – all five are a close second for me.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – June 20, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Crap, forgot about Louie.

That’s the sixth no.2 for me. u.u

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – June 20, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Girls is a huge pile of crap. It’s not genius. It’s not even anything new. If it were to win the best comedy Emmy it would be poof that the voters are morons.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Girls is extremely overrated.

Comment by JenInChicago – July 3, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is proof that Emmy voters are already morons. They didn’t nominate HUGH LAURIE for
        [H]OUSE.

Comment by Gigi – September 7, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve got good taste, though Archer can’t compete for best comedy series, since it is animated. Animated shows not being able to compete for best comedy is apparently becoming quite a hot issue with the Emmys this year.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 20, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thats not the issue animated shows can be submitted for best comedy, family guy was nominated in 2009, its that community submitted the 8 bit episode for writing in the animated category

Comment by chris – June 20, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’ve got a great taste! great list of shows. But sadly some are not going to make that :(

Comment by duke – June 20, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if parks and rec doesn’t win this year, then I will cry and Amy deserves to win above everyone, it is her year!

Comment by L – June 20, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings is an infinitely funnier show than Modern Family … however it’s highly doubtful anyone but the Pritchett/Dunphies will be running up onstage this year.

Comment by Dave – June 20, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Happy Endings is much more funny than Modern Family.

Comment by Pat – June 20, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most shows are funnier than Modern Family. The Walking Dead is funnier than Modern Family.

Comment by RichieOnTV – June 20, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hahahahahahahahahaha. That dis made me snarf, yo.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 20, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You´re so right in this, Modern Family is so overrated. It never makes me laugh, I simply don´t get all the love to MF.

Comment by Jean – August 22, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many great possible nominations! I would to see any kind of love thrown to Happy Endings, Community, Parks & Rec, Cougar Town, etc

Comment by tvaddict – June 20, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so tired of Community getting constantly snubbed, if it happens again this year I’m so done with the Emmy’s. I think Amy Poehler should win but I would also like to see Dani Pudi get at least nominated, and maybe Joel too?

Comment by Adriana – June 20, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’d be great. I hope “Community” gets some recognition at the Emmys, too.

Also, scrolling down the comments a bit, geez, is there a chance we could go through a thread where people AREN’T insulting other people for their TV tastes? If you don’t like a show, fine, but there’s no need to tell people they’re stupid for watching this or that. Grow up.

Comment by Angela – June 20, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I’d like to see Michael boot (ban) posters for being rude, especially the consistently offensive ones.

Comment by Cheri – June 29, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree! anyway i’m rooting for amy poehler! Everyone has personal opinions about it but there’s no need to be rude about shows/actors and so on.

Comment by marie3 – August 17, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At this point, it really would be an honor just to be nominated (“Community” in general, and Pudi in particular).

Comment by aleksa – June 20, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would love for several of the actors to be nominated, as well as the show itself, but the best recognition of all would be to see Dan nominated for one of the episodes he wrote/directed. I want some kind of solid industry recognition for him, so that he’s offered some great jobs. I want his creative genius on my TV again!

Comment by Cheri – June 29, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community needs to be nominated.

Comment by trev – June 20, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • superlative episode of Spoiler Alert. now someone explain to me what superlative means. it’s like when one thought is wearing another thought’s hat, right?

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 20, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s when something is streets ahead.

Comment by joberto – June 20, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i know, i was going for a clever reference to the clips of Britta… apparently the joke didn’t land… oh well. =D

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 20, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It landed. I was just trying to make a clever reference of my own :-D

Comment by joberto – June 22, 2012 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I believe you were Brittaed, cjeffrey7.

Comment by Cheri – June 29, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dreams of mine:
    1. Parks and rec wins best comedy.
    2. Amy Poehler wins best lead actress.
    3. Gillian Jacobs wins best supporting actress
    4. Community gets nominated for best comedy.
    5. Louis C.K. wins best lead.

please make all of these come true.

Comment by noa – June 20, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls is the worst scripted show on television and if the Emmys awarded it best comedy their reputation would be irrevocably damaged.

Comment by Jo – June 20, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad I’m not the only one who thinks the show is over rated.

Comment by Doug – June 20, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ Makes comment, has never seen the show.

Comment by Samuel Orf – June 20, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched the first season because this site talked about how great it is. I thought it was awful. It is nothing new or original as claimed. All I think when I watch it is “what a bunch of whiny spoiled brats.” Now you have an informed opinion.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely disagree. I feel like Girls has a great shot of getting a nomination. Aside from it being HBO and the fact that it’s a new show, I think the characters are very well written (something I haven’t seen since The Good Wife began), and the show is just very funny. If they submit “Welcome to Bushwick” or “The Return”, I think it has a very good shot of getting nominated and I would have no problem seeing the show win Best Comedy, although I know it might be unlikely. And I would also like to see Lena get a Best Actress nomination.

Comment by Mik – June 20, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So the best comedy Emmy should go to a show that isn’t funny and doesn’t make you laugh? I see.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When did I say it didn’t make me laugh? Cause it did make me laugh, so I don’t know where you are getting that from. And I do think it’s funny. Maybe not in a typical-comedy-obvious way, but still very funny.

Comment by Mik – June 20, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ On drugs that I really wish she’d share.

Comment by lauren – June 20, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These lies.

Comment by RichieOnTV – June 20, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Community but Parks & Rec was the best comedy on television this year. As much as I love Ty Burrell in Modern Family, Nick Offerman might have the best role on television as Ron Freakin Swanson.
    As far as Girls goes, I must be missing something because I find it to be completely vapid and I really don’t care about any of the characters. Veep is a far superior comedy, writing is crisp and the acting is fantastic. JLD is hands down best actress in a comedy.

Comment by Doug – June 20, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, “Community” has not an ice cube’s chance in hell of winning best comedy. Sorry. I’m skeptical it will even get nominated… “Modern Family” has it in the bag. “Parks” would be a lovely upset… If that crap “Girls” is nominated I might jump off a cliff. I know I’m in the minority it seems, but I can’t stand that show. (I am happy for Lena Dunham getting it on the air though).

Comment by jasonboegh – June 20, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec is one of the rare shows that gets better every season! I highly doubt that Community will even be nominated (no matter how much I wish it should). Parks and Rec deserves the crown this year! Let’s keep it the Emmys and the not the Modern Family Awards.

Comment by Babybop – June 20, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the big bang theory? in my opinion they are emmy worthy. Out of all the comedies i watch big bang is the funniest

Comment by mh – June 20, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well then you sir are an idiot.

Parks and Rec or Louie

Comment by 30Brock – June 20, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Big bang theory hasn’t been good since season 3

Comment by JM – June 20, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If TBBT gets nominated, the terrorists win. And I, for one, am not okay with that.

Comment by RichieOnTV – June 20, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Community. It is one of the most creative and funny comedies ever. How could it lose?

Comment by Jordan Big – June 20, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PREACH
      i cant believe its still being overlooked. its so goof

Comment by dilia – July 11, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want so badly for Community and Parks&Rec to both win in any of the main categories! They’re BRILLIANT shows! And deserve some credit!

Comment by Justine – June 20, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • veep is hands down the funniest show on tv right now…and a down year for modern family IMO, should be a no brainer

Comment by rob – June 20, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community and Louie both need to be nominated.

Comment by Superhero – June 20, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec! Parks and Rec!!! I love Modern Family, but Parks and Rec. is just a tiny bit better, IMO

Comment by Spencer – June 20, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Louie, Modern Family, and Happy Endings are my top 6. I think Community had a strong season but Parks and Rec is the winner. Modern Family is funny, but it simply follows the same formula each week and kinda phoned it in this season.

Comment by AJ – June 20, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As usual, Matt and Aus, a very astute discussion. I agree totally with your Modern Family comments. One thing I don’t agree on though is that Nurse Jackie is a drama? I always laugh at that show. I find it very funny, and I thought this season was its best. It’s definitely a darker comedy though. I could live without it being nominated, but the ones I really want to see on there so badly are Community and Louie, two of my favorite underdogs. I would bet anything Louie at least gets a writing nomination for the Duckling episode.
    Speaking of which, any chance of a discussion on shows which you think would get nominated for writing and direction or which ones you would like to see get nominated? I am curious to hear what your favorite episodes of the year were in regards to that.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 20, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems a long shot for Community to even get nominated since the Emmy’s don’t generally give a first time nomination for a show that’s already a few seasons in. If any yet to be nominated non-freshman show deserves a nom(I’m sure I’m in the minority on this one but oh well)it’s Mike & Molly, which had a surprisingly funny season, minus the cliched finale. Modern Family will still likely win so long as they entered their finale episode…the rest of the season was just meh compared to the first two.

Comment by Tess – June 20, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler and Parks and Rec for the win!!! Come on!

Comment by Amy – June 20, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absofreakinglutely!!!

Comment by Atoz15 – June 21, 2012 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sorry, but the emmys are notorious for voting the same shows over and over again — look at Frasier and mad men. It’s frustrating.

Comment by tim – June 20, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • parks and rec seems to be the only show that everyone can agree on. it really seems like this should be its year. if it doesn’t take home the emmy, i would hate to be the show that does.

Comment by murley – June 20, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!

Comment by Atoz15 – June 21, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, can’t stand the show, and Amy in particular is extremely annoying, like nails on a chalkboard. Think Parks and Rec is far more polarizing that you think. I am CERTAIN that I’m not the only one that can’t sit thru an entire episode.

Comment by Cheri – June 29, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • f the emmy, carrell never wins, laurie never wins BS

Comment by ......................... – June 21, 2012 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like “Girls” is going to win this year because it’s hyped as s***!

Comment by Sarabi – June 21, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family isn’t the funniest show on TV. What makes it special is how it emphasizes family values at the end of each epsiode. Remember the Thanksgiving episode (the one where they had a pumpkIn fly over a field)? I only laughed once in the 30minutes it was on air, but I felt really good after watching it.

Comment by David B – June 21, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel good after watching Full House, but that doesn’t mean it deserves an Emmy!

Comment by Aprilcot – June 21, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Middle should be nominated, it’s always living in Modern Family’s shadow!!! The whole cast is great, especially Eden Sher!!

Comment by Nick – June 21, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOTALLY agree that Middle deserves a nom. WAY funnier this season than Modern Family.

Comment by Sunny – June 21, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve written an article called HOW TO TAME YOUR EXECUTIVE which is my response to the firing of Dan Harmon of “Community.” Love to hear your thoughts!

Comment by Hollywood Coaching (@hollywoodcoach) – June 25, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community!

Comment by Kassya – July 3, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never count out Parks and Rec and 30 Rock if the right episodes were submitted.

Comment by Kristen – July 10, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post