Report: Today Poised to Drop Ann Curry

It’s (sorta) official: Ann Curry‘s Todays are numbered.

NBC is readying a plan to replace Matt Lauer’s embattled co-host just one year after she succeeded Meredith Viera, according to the New York Times.

The news comes as the Today show attempts to reclaim its long-held perch as TV’s most-watched morning program. This Spring, Good Morning America ended Today‘s 16-year-long winning streak. Many have blamed the ratings erosion on Curry’s lack of chemistry with Lauer.

One option being discussed, per the Times, involves Curry segueing into a foreign correspondent role — something many consider to be her strength.

Today’s Savannah Guthrie is considered the odds-on favorite to replace Curry.

Thoughts? Is Curry unfairly being made the scapegoat for Today‘s ratings woes? Or is she one of the reasons you switched over to GMA? Sound off below!

1. Slizabeth says:

Hmm I wonder why! She’s pretty great.

• Huff says:

The reason I watch is because of Ann. She is warm, caring and funny, intelligent and full of life. She is most definitely much nicer that Katie ever was. I did like Meredith as she and Matt were good together. Is it really Ann or does Matt need to lighten up????

• brandon says:

I agree. Replacing her with Savannah so quickly would be a shame.

• Ruth says:

It has been obvious that Savannah & Matt have a chemistry, especially when she showed up on “Where in the World is Matt Lauer?” segements. I think she & Natalie are in competition for the top spot which Natalie appeared to have her eye on anyway prior to Meredith’s exit. Ann is a great warm personality & she deserves somewhere else besided sitting on a couch with a cold distasteful co-host. It has been apparent from the beginning that Matt didn’t want her there. I do a quick look at the Today show guide for the am (can’t stand Kathy Lee, surprised she & Hoda are still friends), NBC has the best local news in our area, then I leave it as quickly as possible. GMA is getting better each day!!!

• It is Matt who needs to be replaced.

• lisa smith says:

definitely the scapegoat. first of all – no show is interesting enough to go for 3 hours. matt lauer is great but he’s not THE show. more music. more guests – less chefs. there’s so many interesting things going on in the world. they NEVER have rap artists. its too 2001. they need to revamp the programming, ann is the chit.

• Angela says:

I was going to say, I’m pretty sure that’s why the ratings are dipping, because the show lasts WAY too long. Do a couple hours, get your guests and stories in you need to get in, and be done with it. And lose the happy hour that is the fourth hour, too.

• Joel says:

I agree , 4 hours is way too long and as as far as the 4th hour goes … happy hour describes it perfectly. It’s like going into a bar and watching the middle age women in there get drunk. I can’t believe NBC lets them get away with drinking on the air.

• Mo says:

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!! I love Ann Curry! They gave her the shaft by not giving her the lead when Katie left…and now they want to get rid of her?! Shoot…I might switch to GMA (much to mu chagrin…cuz Today is sooooo much better) just BECAUSE Ann won’t be there. This would be the dumbest move NBC could make!

• Kathy Yardy says:

I think NBC has it all wrong. The falling ratings are not because of Ann, but because of Matt! He is rude and crude in his interviews, and very self absorbed. Take a closure look NBC….you’ll find the truth~

• Penny Wilma says:

ANN IS GREAT SMART AND WELL SUITED LEAVE HER THERE NBC !!! 87 YR FAITHFUL WATCHER>>> I REMENBER HER IN THE “FREEZING ” SHOW SOMETIME AGO KEEP HER THERE>

• Fran says:

Because she is not a biggett and snob like Matt and Savannah and he could not get her to kiss his butt! He and ugly no lips should get married since they are so happy together Natalie was more qualified than savannah Matt is a real ass!!!

2. JWB says:

About time.

• Patricia says:

I agree. I think she sounds phony when she is interviewing – so full of drama in her voice.– she always seems to interrupt the person she is interviewing. Not easy like Katir Couric

• Rosemary says:

That is exactly my issue with Ann – how she sounds while she interviews. I thought that when she was covering for Katie and Meredith over the years. When she is straight reporting or reading the news, she is great. I’ve enjoyed her reports from Africa. Foreign correspondent may be just the ticket.

I am trying to find the right morning news show. I can’t stand all of the celebrity news and the lighter segments. GMA is not the answer. Maybe its Morning Joe.

• dan says:

CBS This Morning is awesome! Best newshow of the morning. Charlie, Gail and Erica have a great chemistry and they actually provide news with very little fluff. I expected it to be boring (I have never been a Charlie Rose fan), but I’ve been pleasantly surprised over the last few months of watching.

• Lori says:

CBS This Morning is a true news show without being pretentious. Just informative and interesting. I’m surprised how much I enjoy it, since I’ve never been a Gayle King fan. She still gets on my nerves, a bit, but a lot less in this format.

• Fran says:

Yes, Katie was bullied by Matt too but she showed him. Today show needs to fire Matt and his sweet stupid Savannah

• Ben Stiller says:

LONG overdue!!!! And in the name of all that is good and holy, get rid of Kathie Lee and Hoda is not helping. Frankly Matt is nothing special either. The show lost long ago when it lost Katie. Ann Curry was annoying at best and unwatchable most of the time. Has anyone tried Morning Joe, even with the always irritating diet and excercise obsessed Micka, it’s better than any of the network shows.

• Nia says:

Yes, time for her to go! She is nice, and a fine journalist. Ann is boring, lacks fashion style, terrible with interviews, and has bad posture. My vote is for Natalie. Forget Savannah, she lacks everything that Ann does, but with better posture!

• lou says:

amen to that… i hated it when she was made co-anchor… that woman cannot speak a full sentence without stumbling… UGH… can’t WAIT to see her gone

3. Nicole says:

What?! They need to fire Kathie Lee Gifford first.

4. Dr. Bombay says:

Maybe they discovered her affair with Subhas….

5. gail says:

Why shes been w/ the show for a very long time

6. Tammy says:

I know she’s not Meredith but I like Ann. They can’t blame the bad ratings on Ann. How about going back to how the show use to be a couple of years ago. It seems like all they do now is promote other shows from NBC or sister networks. Maybe I should watch some other morning show to see what they are like but I have always watched TODAY. I’m tired of it always being a segment about something that will be on Dateline or Rockcenter etc. If I wanted to watch those shows I would. Stop pulling the rating stunts. Also once the Olympics are over…………… drop the Royal Watch stuff. I think you guys are more in love with the Royal family than anyone else in America!

7. Amanda says:

She’ll land on her feet

8. Matt says:

It’s the Peter principle.

9. Tammy says:

also…………. Hoda did a great job on the weekend with Lester. Just saying. I know you won’t break up Hoda and Kathy Lee. But Hoda could be the next Meredith! (Or bring back Meredith!)

10. Joel says:

Ann may be one of the worst interviewers ever. She never asks open ended questions and just bates people for a yes or no answer. She is very good at reading the news like she used to do but she was never ready to be co-host. i hope that Savannah Gunthrie will do a good job filling Ann’s shoes.

• deirdre says:

Savannah!!!! she is TO BUSY DROOLING OVER MATT!!!! EEEWWW!! I cant stand it I like Ann what a SLAP!!! in THE FACE!!!!

• Elizabeth says:

Savannah is irritating! I will definitely stop watching if they keep her on. I can’t believe that they treated Ann like this. I think Natalie can definitely do a better job than Savannah. Ann, Good Luck, you are a classy lady. I will miss you!

• Fran says:

Never happen once she stands up to Matt she will be gone too. I want Ryan Seacrest to replace Matt and Natalie to replace old cs mouth. Ann will do well as she is different on CNN

11. Bobbi says:

From what I’ve read, they won’t fire her. They’re planning on moving her into another position, possibly foreign correspondent.

12. sebaroni says:

They never should have replaced Meredith with Ann. I am so glad Today has finally come to its senses. I hope they give the job to Savannah – of course, if Meredith would come back that would be the best.

13. Cy says:

Please don’t replace her with Savannah or Natalie. Get some new blood. (And Ann is as terrible a newsreader as she is an interviewer.)

14. NCSouthernBelle says:

That makes me sad. Aside from Katie Couric, Ann Curry is my favorite female journalist.

• lou says:

really??? she is nothing short of awful

• Joel says:

Amen , Ann always came across as phony. She always had this fake sympathy thing going on and never asked the right questions. She did a good job of reading the news for many years , even before the Today show. But as an anchor she was and is terrible. Savannah is intelligent , easy to look at and was a white house correspondent as well as being an attorney. She knows what questions to ask and does a great job with interviews.

15. beth says:

I like Ann as well and wish she wouldn’t go. I would point to NBC silly banter as the reason why. She does a good job on the news. Those silly infotainment parts are stupid anyways. I wish the whole show would do more news etc and less silly talk

16. What!? I love Ann! It’s true that she is more suited to hard-hitting journalism (foreign correspondence) rather than morning show fluff, but I think she brings a little more gravitas to the show.

17. kerry says:

I watch Ann very early everyday from Australia and find her wonderful. She has a passive but assertive voice and a wonderful caring manner. Her interviews are great than say Matt;s who seems to annoy some with his pushy manner and annoying glasses. Don’t fire her as some of the women on this show talk like an old dirty boot!

18. rich says:

she is the main reason i stopped watching! the show has lost its spark when ann took over

• Seth says:

never liked her………..and she’s worse as co-anchor than she ever was at the news desk……and there is no chemistry between her and Matt………he’d only sign his new contract if they got rid of her………………….if she stayed, he was leavin !!!!

19. K.C. says:

Um… wow. Can’t believe the blind items about Curry being let go by the Summer Olympic’s time and how this is all Matt Lauer’s doing (and how he was sleeping with Savannah Guthrie AND Natalie Morales) is slowly coming into fruition.

Poor Ann. :(

• Willem says:

That just shows how shallow a person Matt Lauer really is. For years Ann paid her dues in the field, the cold winters, the hot summers, through good/bad weather, through insults and slights from the network when it came to promotions……..etc. Ann hung in there the whole time and suffered in silence; now comes some the other woman who just walks in and takes her job; why NBC. Fix your Matt Lauer problem first; that guy can’t hold the show, he never could! Al, you’re next; you should have stood up for Ann when you had the chance!

• Liz says:

I totally agree with Willem. Ann has always been there and has been supportive to her co-workers. I hope Al and Natalie stood up for Ann but somebody definitely had it in for her. I don’t know who dressed Ann after she made co-anchor but those clothes didn’t fit her personality. She was fine the way she was. Savannah’s are a dime a dozen. The Ann Curry’s off this world are priceless. Shame on the Today Show – they deserve to have their ratings fall.

20. sheila says:

sorry but i find ann curry so disingenuous. she comes across so phoney. savannah guthrie would be a much better co host. i guess i dont get how people think she is a terrific journalist. matt lauer isnt any better as a journalist. i watch this show for a “quick” summary of headlines, but how can anyone take it as serious journalism.

• Rebecca says:

Totally agree. I find Ann Curry not only disingenuous and phoney, but condescending as well. She was great delivering the news. But she isn’t the only thing wrong with the Today Show. It has turned from a hard hitting morning news program to a morning magazine show. Don’t get me wrong, I love Hoda and Kathy and they are right for that late hour, but can we please return to serious news? I’ve since switched to CBS with Charlie Rose.

• Irishgirl says:

Yes to this. I miss the days when it was hard hitting interviews, with the occasional pop culture/morning magazine stories peppered throughout.

• Julie says:

It’s all youtube videos and true crime these days. I switch over to CBS most days now. They’re covering actual news.

• Carrie says:

I agree with your assessment of the Today show delivering more commentary on celebrities instead of world news and the important issues that affect common people. I now watch CBS in the morning and they deliver the news and very little fluff.

• Janet Thole says:

Ann is so obvious trying to give excuses for the libs. I have not been watching it since she started last summer with her phoney smile . Just too phoney.

21. Jo says:

Curry is too good to be on Today…

22. susan says:

She is the worst interviewer ever. Thank God she won’t be able to lean forward and touch anymore interviewees!

• Miller says:

Ann is terrible, watched for years until she took over. They had to give her the job for fear of legal issues. Lord knows we have to have one of everyone now days or people start filing lawsuits over discrimination.

23. Miffy says:

Seems like a lovely person, but she doesn’t have the right “spark” to be cohost.

• Butters says:

100% agree with you.

• ryanflip says:

This is 100% the problem in a nutshell…while there doesn’t seem to be anything ‘wrong’ with her, from when they first announced her as Viera’s replacement, I didn’t think she had the charisma to pull it off, and I was right.

24. Laura mayer says:

Ann curry is so blah. Horrible at interviewing. Savannah would be a great choice.

25. L says:

Get rid of Matt instead. Worst interviewer on the planet who thinks he’s a hard core journalist. Soft ball questions ALL the time. Boring, pissy, and addicted to power.

• Stephanie says:

I think Matt does a great job. He’s lasted this long. While Ann seems to be a great person, they just don’t seem to jibe. She is very good at some interviews but the job of co-host just doesn’t seem to be her strong point.

• Dottie says:

AMEN to that. Lose Ann, keep Matt, and I’m jumping to another morning show.

26. Irishgirl says:

I have never been a fan of Ann Curry, and I thought the idea to make her the new co-host was a terrible one. She grates on my nerves so bad when she’s interviewing someone. She asks a question, then interrupts the interviewee while they are trying to answer. That low, whispery voice she does which just comes off as so insincere, and the weird comments that are out of place or appear that she doesn’t know anything about the segment she’s doing. I thought Natalie was a better fit than Ann to replace Meredith.

27. Melissa says:

When they had Sarah Palin as a guest host, up against Katie Couric no less, that did it for me. I started watching GMA after watching Today for years.

28. Kathy says:

When Regis Philbin was on this morning and asked “Where’s Ann?” Something told me that this was occuring.

29. LK says:

Ann Curry is awkward and maybe shouldn’t be host, but Savannah Guthrie is so annoying in her loud awkwardness. She’s not even a journalist, but a lawyer. She gets on my nerves.

Also, GMA did a ratings ploy by having Katie Couric host. That is the reason why ratings dipped, not Ann Curry’s lack of likability. Now that NBC is losing their one high rated show, watch a total make-over of the Today show. They really know how to mess things up and we will probably see them cycle through 4 more hosts by next year. Maybe they’ll have Jay Leno take over. Both him and Matt have swimming pools full of their contract money.

30. Kathryn says:

Ann is too sugar sweet — great attribute, but maybe not for a co-host. I personally found Meredith to be combative and inappropriate. Savannah has her hands full with legal issues, but she could do the job. Perhaps a new, fresh face would be best.

31. Kristi says:

I only watch because of her. She’s been the only competent reporter there for YEARS. Once she’s gone, I will officially be out. She’ll do just fine though. She’s always been too talented and too clever for them.

32. Jon says:

No one can replace Meredith, not even Ann Curry. That being said, I like Ann, I think she’s doing a great job. They should give her a chance. The problem with the Today show is that it’s associated with Kathie Lee Gifford, which brings their credibility way down.

33. Longtime Today Show Viewer says:

I find it so odd so many people all of a sudden like Ann. I remember back when TVLine announced she was takiNg over for Meredith and everyone (including me) thought it was a horrible idea. I’m so glad she’s out the doors! I was very close to switching over to GMA. Ann was a horrible interviewer and you could tell she was always just listening for every word in her earbud from a producer? It was awkward and tough to watch. Adios! Love the idea of Savannah taking over!

34. nickp91 says:

Ann Curry fired because of the ratings fight between NBC + ABC. Well goodbye infotainment

35. Eva says:

I promise you it is NOT her, it’s Al Roker that makes the show suck!

• Seth says:

that’s true too…………………him I really can’t stand…..he’s due to go, big time

• Sarah says:

Totally agree! He is rude to people and if you watch he insults them half the time and they are left with their mouths wide open amazed that he just said something so rude!
      Between him and Matt, the two are bullies on the set and you can see them making inside jokes and comments that are meant to bite at Anne or the others. What are the others supposed to do? They have to just sit there and take it

36. beth says:

What? Ann is great! This is ridiculous! She is taking the fall…terrible…I don’t know if I will watch the today show any more…what a shame

37. Deb Stevenson says:

Ann is just too emotional for a show characterized by short segments. Her empathy for the people she interviews and the stories she covers is, many times absolute overkill, which prevents her from switching gears as the topics change. Some days after watching her, I feel like I’ve just slogged through the soup of the world’s despair—-it’s oppressive and frankly not how I want to feel when I get up to greet the day. :)

38. Pat Wright says:

No surprise NBC would replace AnnCurry. She is classy, intelligent, a pleasure to watch and listen to….not flighty and vapid!

39. Patricia says:

Ann is the best, she is the reason I watch Today. Remove her and I’m gone. Hoda and kathie Lee are goof balls. Matt is so full of himself, and what’s up with Al . He has no talent.

• MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY! MAtt, NAtAlie and SAmAnthA should go. Al is okay, but MAtt is the biggest A of all. Hoda is talented and much better than any of them, but I would dump Kathy Lee. Trash personified.

40. B2386 says:

I am neutral regarding whether Ann leaves or not…however I do know I don’t want Savannah to replace her, I think the show would be worse than it is now.

• Barbara says:

I have always liked Ann Curry the most. Maybe she isn’t the best interviewer. She is classy, warm and caring. Please don’t replace her with Savannah – ick!!! Try someone new.

41. Bre says:

Ann is great, but not as a host. She needs to go back to special assignments. And honestly, Savannah is not that great either. She always says the dumbest things and is pretty much just ogling at Matt all morning. Natalie or someone new!

42. Rach says:

She’s a classy lady, but the Today show is flat with her as an anchor. Her interviewing skills are less than strong. I hope she finds a great fit as I like her, but where she is right now is not working for her or the show.

43. pookie says:

No surprise here…just how long it too..Matt wants one of his bed buddies (Natalie or Savannah) along side him on the couch. Can’t imagine his very jealous wife will be too happy with this turn of events.

44. Elizabeth says:

Who cares? The Today Show is a shell of what used to be a good, informative, quality news program. Might as well let Kathie Lee & Hoda do all four hours.

If I want news and information, I watch the CBS Morning News. That new format and having journalists like Charlie Rose and Erica Hill has made it a great two hours. Gayle King brings in just enough light pieces.

45. Carol says:

I love Anne Curry! She’s smart intelligent and attractive ..Savannah says some dumb things and is so gaga over Matt that I sometimes have to change the channel …why is NBC putting the blame on Anne for the loss in ratings ?.?

46. DenverDean says:

Like others have said, Ann Curry is far too intelligent for lightweight Today Show. She’s better than that fluff.

47. jake says:

Maybe they should get rid of Mr. Ego Lauer after all he has been on sine 1997, time for some new talent..I like Anne myself..but Lauer needs to have a good sit down with his ego.

48. Sissy sorrelle says:

I am sick of a dumb panel with Starr jones & Danny who? Cut the show down to three hours and offer something other than these three idiots opinion. Who cares? I love Ann and she deserves better than this. Get rid of kathie lee, please!!

49. sladewilson says:

Ann should’ve never taken the job. Matt clearly didn’t want her as co-host and she’s better at foreign and hard news. She should take over Dateline and just do guest pieces like Meredith does. She deserves better than this…

50. patchouli says:

Ann Curry should bereplaced by Ms Piggy, the best! :)