TVLine Items: Ray Romano Joins Parenthood, Homeland Adds Rupert Friend and More!

Ray Romano ParenthoodEverybody loves Ray Romano — maybe even Sarah Braverman.

The Men of a Certain Age alum has booked a multi-episode arc in Parenthood‘s upcoming fourth season, playing a photographer who takes an interest in Lauren Graham’s perpetually conflicted leading lady.

As TVLine previously reported, Jason Ritter is set to return to the NBC drama as Sarah’s maybe-fiancé, so expect the latter’s friendship with Romano’s photog to complicate things.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

Romano makes his Parenthood debut in the Season 4 premiere, which bows Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 10/9c.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Rupert Friend (The Young Victoria) has joined Homeland‘s second season (which premieres Sept. 30) as a series regular, per The Hollywood Reporter. He’ll play a CIA analyst overseeing a “critical operation.”

• Showtime has released the Episodes‘ Season 2 premiere ahead of its scheduled July 1 launch. Take a peek below for an early look at Matt LeBlanc and Co. in action.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Premieres, TVLine Items, Video

1. Newo says:

For Matt.

2. Mayela says:

So glad to see Rupert Friend in TV. I love him and think he is a fantastic actor. I am glad we get to see him more.

3. soarin829 says:

Hate the idea of Romano as a love interest for Graham.

• Sue says:

Me too.

• Rebecca says:

Ditto.

• Russ says:

His voice bothers me.

• JustMy2Cents says:

Did you ever watch Men of a Certain Age? I am not the demographic for that show and wasn’t really into it, but my parents watched it and if I was at their place I’d check out a bit of it and Romano has chops. He can pull off the poignant. I’m excited to see this. And I just LOVE Parenthood in general so any news is exciting.

• Spikenalabama says:

I hate this news. I don’t care for Ray Romano at all and I love Sarah and Mark together.

• Jessica says:

I agree, he isn’t a good match for her. Maybe he’ll surprise us and deviate from the same character he aways plays in everything he’s ever in. Lol. Secondly, are they going to have Sarah be interested or involved with every bachelor who comes in contact with the Braverman family?? :-p

4. RedRobin says:

I’m so excited that Ray Romano is going to be on Parenthood! I love this show! All the actors do an amazing job, and it’s a great escape from cop dramas and medical procedurals. I am so glad there’s a show about a regular family that everyone can relate to. Can’t wait till September!

5. Kate says:

Not sure how I feel about Ray with Sarah although he is more age appropriate. I love Jason Ritter but with him having to give up his dreams because she has to have a baby right now the relationship seems doomed.

• Tori says:

I was assuming he was more age appropriate too but Ray Romano is almost 11 years older than Lauren Graham. Very close to Lauren’s 13 year age difference with Jason Ritter. I guess it helps that Ray Romano’s character won’t be in his twenties, dating a 40-something year old woman. Cause Jason Ritter’s character, though not Jason Ritter himself, is still in his twenties I think.

I love Jason Ritter too and I really enjoy Mark . I sort of want them to break up, though. He seems too young to be settling down with someone who’s basically done with the whole kids thing. He clearly really wants kids.

6. Damian says:

i don’t want this poor comment section to feel lonely, so here ya go: This news is weird.

7. Bethany says:

I am totally late to the Parenthood game (I just finished watching all 3 Seasons over 2 weeks) and will be disappointed if they break Sarah and Mark up again. I love their relationship and find it incredibly real. Also, I know I am in the minority, but I really like Amber with Bobby Little, any idea if Jonathan Tucker is coming back for Season 4?

• Meg says:

People don’t want Amber & Bob together? Weird, everyone I know who watches Parenthood loves the two of them together.

• Bethany says:

I hope you are right, Meg. I read several reviews of the last season and a lot of folks on the old interwebs say they hated them together. I think they are great together and am keeping my fingers crossed he comes back.

• Jen says:

I love Parenthood, and usually trust where the writers are going, but I hated Amber and Bob together. Not so much the age difference. If she were 10 years older, the age difference wouldn’t matter. More so that she’s a teenager and he seemed like a creep.

• Jess says:

i think he’s creepy too. not because of the age difference, just because he’s creepy.

• soarin829 says:

I actually loved the idea of Amber & Bob together and found him to be completely pure in his attraction to Amber. Not at all a creep. I really hope they revisit that now that Amber is moving onto a different job (according to last week’s AA).

• cali says:

Well Amber is 18 on the show and I think Bob is in his mid 20’s as they had said as much…it is not creepy and they make a cute couple!

8. Mitholas says:

I think Ray Romano might be a good addition to the show, but I don’t really see him together with Lauren. Besides, Sarah’s already sort of torn between Jason’s character and … I’ve forgotten his name… the dude who was on SATC and on USoT and who plays the father of her kids. A third guy seems a bit much. Well, I trust the writers, these are just my initial thoughts.

9. Jana says:

More about Sarah´s career and less about her love life, please.

10. Linda says:

Serioulsy? *Ray* as a love interest for Lauren’s character? Ick. Can’t they just let Sarah and Mark be happy for a few episodes?

11. Andrew says:

Um, I thought she was engaged, trying to get pregnant and madly in love with Mark? Why is she getting another love interest? I wish they’d focus on her career and getting her out of her parent’s house.

12. Tran says:

Can’t wait on what Ray Romano’s character has in store on the upcoming season of Parenthood come Sept. 11th.

13. Rachel says:

This is way too weird, how about we leave Sarah with Mark and let her focus on her career? thanks ;)

14. april-ann says:

No.Chemistry.What.So.Ever.

15. cheri says:

Wow, way to ruin Parenthood for me!!!!!

16. Lauren says:

Not Ray Romano, ugh. I can’t see him with Sarah at all. Not to mention, I totally agree with bringing Seth back if you want to have a triangle with Sarah & Mark again. Lauren Graham has great chemistry with both Corbett and Ritter.

17. Leslie says:

Ugh. I hate Ray Romano, but I love Parenthood. May have to watch it later and mute his scenes. Yuck!

18. Ally says:

One word for this pairing–weird. I just can’t picture it. Ray Romono just doesn’t seem like the Parenthood type. Not sure how he’ll fit into the show. I can’t picture him interacting well with the other characters. Oh well, I have faith in the show so I’ll give him a chance.

19. A says:

OK. Lauren Graham and Ray Romano = weird and awkward pairing. not looking forward to this at all.

20. Mary Ann says:

Also not a Ray Romano fan. I’m afraid I did not “love” Raymond. I hate him showing up on one of my favorite shows.

21. Juan says:

I love Ray Romano and really wanna see him doing drama, though mark and sarah are great so it’d be sad if they break up.

22. tvfan44 says:

Ray Romano was unexpectedly and astonishingly great in ‘Men of a Certain Age’ (still mourning that one, sigh…). And even sexy, which was another surprise for me. If you only know him from ‘Raymond’, suspend your judgement and see what happens when he joins ‘Parenthood’. I think this is fantastic news and look forward to how things unfold – and I say this as a big fan of the Sarah-Mark pairing. Oh, and for me, Sarah’s love life is one of the primary reasons I keep tuning in to ‘Parenthood’.

23. sarah says:

Seriously Parenthood, you have to bring on Ray to go after Sarah…URGH! Just let her and Mark be!

24. Spikenalabama says:

Looking at their pictures above, Ray Romano looks like he could be Lauren Graham’s father, not a love interest!!

25. Ashley says:

Eww Ray Ramano? No, Sarah and Mark FTW. Worst casting news ever!

26. Laurel says:

I LOVE Parenthood , can’t stand Ray Romano.The thought of him and Lauren makes me want to hurl.
    Love me some Jason Ritter though.

27. Velvet says:

No, not everyone loves Ray Romano.

28. Velvet says:

Show me some Scott Bakula!