TVLine Items: Ray Romano Joins Parenthood, Homeland Adds Rupert Friend and More!

Ray Romano ParenthoodEverybody loves Ray Romano — maybe even Sarah Braverman.

The Men of a Certain Age alum has booked a multi-episode arc in Parenthood‘s upcoming fourth season, playing a photographer who takes an interest in Lauren Graham’s perpetually conflicted leading lady.

As TVLine previously reported, Jason Ritter is set to return to the NBC drama as Sarah’s maybe-fiancé, so expect the latter’s friendship with Romano’s photog to complicate things.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

Romano makes his Parenthood debut in the Season 4 premiere, which bows Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 10/9c.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Rupert Friend (The Young Victoria) has joined Homeland‘s second season (which premieres Sept. 30) as a series regular, per The Hollywood Reporter. He’ll play a CIA analyst overseeing a “critical operation.”

• Showtime has released the Episodes‘ Season 2 premiere ahead of its scheduled July 1 launch. Take a peek below for an early look at Matt LeBlanc and Co. in action.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (52)

• Jason Ritter > Ray Romano

Comment by Anjali Agarwal (@iamoutnumbered) – June 19, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Matt.

Comment by Newo – June 19, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see Rupert Friend in TV. I love him and think he is a fantastic actor. I am glad we get to see him more.

Comment by Mayela – June 19, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m really excited to see Rupert Friend on Homeland. Should be awesome.

Comment by GDV – June 19, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate the idea of Romano as a love interest for Graham.

Comment by soarin829 – June 19, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.

Comment by Sue – June 19, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by Rebecca – June 19, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His voice bothers me.

Comment by Russ – June 19, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you ever watch Men of a Certain Age? I am not the demographic for that show and wasn’t really into it, but my parents watched it and if I was at their place I’d check out a bit of it and Romano has chops. He can pull off the poignant. I’m excited to see this. And I just LOVE Parenthood in general so any news is exciting.

Comment by JustMy2Cents – June 20, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate this news. I don’t care for Ray Romano at all and I love Sarah and Mark together.

Comment by Spikenalabama – June 20, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Graham >>>>>>>>>>> Romano!

Comment by Lady – June 24, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, he isn’t a good match for her. Maybe he’ll surprise us and deviate from the same character he aways plays in everything he’s ever in. Lol. Secondly, are they going to have Sarah be interested or involved with every bachelor who comes in contact with the Braverman family?? :-p

Comment by Jessica – June 25, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited that Ray Romano is going to be on Parenthood! I love this show! All the actors do an amazing job, and it’s a great escape from cop dramas and medical procedurals. I am so glad there’s a show about a regular family that everyone can relate to. Can’t wait till September!

Comment by RedRobin – June 19, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure how I feel about Ray with Sarah although he is more age appropriate. I love Jason Ritter but with him having to give up his dreams because she has to have a baby right now the relationship seems doomed.

Comment by Kate – June 19, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was assuming he was more age appropriate too but Ray Romano is almost 11 years older than Lauren Graham. Very close to Lauren’s 13 year age difference with Jason Ritter. I guess it helps that Ray Romano’s character won’t be in his twenties, dating a 40-something year old woman. Cause Jason Ritter’s character, though not Jason Ritter himself, is still in his twenties I think.

I love Jason Ritter too and I really enjoy Mark . I sort of want them to break up, though. He seems too young to be settling down with someone who’s basically done with the whole kids thing. He clearly really wants kids.

Comment by Tori – June 19, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t want this poor comment section to feel lonely, so here ya go: This news is weird.

Comment by Damian – June 19, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What?

Comment by nikki – June 19, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am totally late to the Parenthood game (I just finished watching all 3 Seasons over 2 weeks) and will be disappointed if they break Sarah and Mark up again. I love their relationship and find it incredibly real. Also, I know I am in the minority, but I really like Amber with Bobby Little, any idea if Jonathan Tucker is coming back for Season 4?

Comment by Bethany – June 19, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People don’t want Amber & Bob together? Weird, everyone I know who watches Parenthood loves the two of them together.

Comment by Meg – June 19, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope you are right, Meg. I read several reviews of the last season and a lot of folks on the old interwebs say they hated them together. I think they are great together and am keeping my fingers crossed he comes back.

Comment by Bethany – June 19, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Parenthood, and usually trust where the writers are going, but I hated Amber and Bob together. Not so much the age difference. If she were 10 years older, the age difference wouldn’t matter. More so that she’s a teenager and he seemed like a creep.

Comment by Jen – June 19, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i think he’s creepy too. not because of the age difference, just because he’s creepy.

Comment by Jess – June 19, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I actually loved the idea of Amber & Bob together and found him to be completely pure in his attraction to Amber. Not at all a creep. I really hope they revisit that now that Amber is moving onto a different job (according to last week’s AA).

Comment by soarin829 – June 20, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well Amber is 18 on the show and I think Bob is in his mid 20′s as they had said as much…it is not creepy and they make a cute couple!

Comment by cali – June 20, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Ray Romano might be a good addition to the show, but I don’t really see him together with Lauren. Besides, Sarah’s already sort of torn between Jason’s character and … I’ve forgotten his name… the dude who was on SATC and on USoT and who plays the father of her kids. A third guy seems a bit much. Well, I trust the writers, these are just my initial thoughts.

Comment by Mitholas – June 19, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be John Corbett.

Comment by Meg – June 19, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or as I refer to him, “Chris from Northern Exposure.”

Comment by GDV – June 19, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *This. I need to go back and watch that show again.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 19, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More about Sarah´s career and less about her love life, please.

Comment by Jana – June 19, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Serioulsy? *Ray* as a love interest for Lauren’s character? Ick. Can’t they just let Sarah and Mark be happy for a few episodes?

Comment by Linda – June 19, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, I thought she was engaged, trying to get pregnant and madly in love with Mark? Why is she getting another love interest? I wish they’d focus on her career and getting her out of her parent’s house.

Comment by Andrew – June 19, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait on what Ray Romano’s character has in store on the upcoming season of Parenthood come Sept. 11th.

Comment by Tran – June 19, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is way too weird, how about we leave Sarah with Mark and let her focus on her career? thanks ;)

Comment by Rachel – June 19, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No.Chemistry.What.So.Ever.

Comment by april-ann – June 19, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, way to ruin Parenthood for me!!!!!

Comment by cheri – June 19, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Ray Romano, ugh. I can’t see him with Sarah at all. Not to mention, I totally agree with bringing Seth back if you want to have a triangle with Sarah & Mark again. Lauren Graham has great chemistry with both Corbett and Ritter.

Comment by Lauren – June 19, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. I hate Ray Romano, but I love Parenthood. May have to watch it later and mute his scenes. Yuck!

Comment by Leslie – June 19, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One word for this pairing–weird. I just can’t picture it. Ray Romono just doesn’t seem like the Parenthood type. Not sure how he’ll fit into the show. I can’t picture him interacting well with the other characters. Oh well, I have faith in the show so I’ll give him a chance.

Comment by Ally – June 19, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK. Lauren Graham and Ray Romano = weird and awkward pairing. not looking forward to this at all.

Comment by A – June 19, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also not a Ray Romano fan. I’m afraid I did not “love” Raymond. I hate him showing up on one of my favorite shows.

Comment by Mary Ann – June 19, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My sentiments exactly!!

Comment by Spikenalabama – June 20, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ray Romano and really wanna see him doing drama, though mark and sarah are great so it’d be sad if they break up.

Comment by Juan – June 19, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ray Romano was unexpectedly and astonishingly great in ‘Men of a Certain Age’ (still mourning that one, sigh…). And even sexy, which was another surprise for me. If you only know him from ‘Raymond’, suspend your judgement and see what happens when he joins ‘Parenthood’. I think this is fantastic news and look forward to how things unfold – and I say this as a big fan of the Sarah-Mark pairing. Oh, and for me, Sarah’s love life is one of the primary reasons I keep tuning in to ‘Parenthood’.

Comment by tvfan44 – June 20, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously Parenthood, you have to bring on Ray to go after Sarah…URGH! Just let her and Mark be!

Comment by sarah – June 20, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at their pictures above, Ray Romano looks like he could be Lauren Graham’s father, not a love interest!!

Comment by Spikenalabama – June 20, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eww Ray Ramano? No, Sarah and Mark FTW. Worst casting news ever!

Comment by Ashley – June 20, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Parenthood , can’t stand Ray Romano.The thought of him and Lauren makes me want to hurl.
    Love me some Jason Ritter though.

Comment by Laurel – June 20, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, not everyone loves Ray Romano.

Comment by Velvet – June 20, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show me some Scott Bakula!

Comment by Velvet – June 20, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post