Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Emilie de Ravin Promoted to Series Regular for Season 2

We couldn’t have conjured up better Once Upon a Time news if you furnished us with a magical well and a flask of Windex and/or love potion: Emilie de Ravin has been upgraded to series regular status for Season 2.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time: Ginnifer Goodwin Is ‘Most Excited’ for the Charming Family Reunion

The Lost alum’s future with the fantastical ABC drama seemed solid given the events of the Season 1 finale, in which Belle was sprung from Storybrooke captivity to reunite with onetime flame Rumpelstiltskin and make him aware of Regina/the Evil Queen’s duplicitous act. Still, it’s nice to see it made official with the actress’ inking of a deal.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bets on Red for Season 2, Makes Meghan Ory a Series Regular

As Once scribe Jane Espenson recently explained to us, “We cast [Emilie] thinking that she’d be great for this but that it would probably be a one-shot — but if she didn’t get a pilot and she had a good time and she’s available, we knew that of course she’d be welcome back!”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time‘s Lana Parrilla: Regina’s Feud With Rumpel ‘Is Not Going to Be Pretty!’

De Ravin, whose ABC pilot Americana did not get picked up for the fall, appeared in a total of three Once Upon a Time episodes during the show’s freshman run.

What do you say, Once fans — does Belle toll for thee?

1. tre says:

Happy, Happy, Happy! Love Emilie and Robert together. And for those of you posting negative things: HELLO, IT’S A TV SHOW! JUST ENJOY IT!!!!

2. chloe says:

Awhh I’m so happy for Emilie!!
    Hatred is so not apreciated in this fandom, if you’re not here to support one of the fellow actors in OUAT then get out. No one wants that.
    all the ships are lovely<3

3. ollie says:

yay! so happy with this news her and robert have great on screen chemistry

4. Inalgebra says:

Excellent news. Just saw Skin Deep and I loved the twist of Rumple as the beast and Emilie was a great Belle.

I really don’t understand people who think the ouat version is unhealthy compared to Disney or the original. In ouat Belle is never a victim, she’s a hero who volunteers to go with the beast to save her town, she sees some good in him and tries to help him and at the end she totally tells him off for his bad behaviour and leaves him, head held high.

5. Cecelia says:

Congrats to Emilie. However, I can’t get excited about any casting news on this show until they start casting some people of color and not just one token character. This is one of the whitest shows around and there is no reason for it. It’s become distracting. I applaud Shondra for calling out one show for its all white casting because until the but this show is also an offender. Let’s mix it up people!

• Margeaux says:

Cinderella’s fairy godmother was black as is Mr. Glass. Most well known fairy tales are European or Asian in origin, so where would you revise them? There is no need for affirmative action on this show. Dig up some well known fairy tales based on people of color before you complain. If anyone has a legit right to complain it is little people because all of the actors playing Snow’s entourage are not really dwarfs.

• Cecelia says:

While the show mainly is using Eurocentric/Germanic fairy tales, this is a modern retelling that is not adhering strictly to the exact letter of the stories (e.g., Rumple as the Beast) and, therefore, has leeway in the casting. Also, since most artwork for these stories was done by white people reflecting white people does not mean that persons of color could not inhabit those roles. Also, in the original story King Midas is Greek.

As to your examples, Cinderella’s fairy godmother had, at the most, one minute of screen time and the actor playing Mr. Glass is now on another show. I think they can do a better job of casting a diverse cast than one walk-on role and one role recurring role which now is over.

• Tusia says:

Greek is European making Midas caucasian. What was the point you were making in that regard? I’m sick of people complaining about lack of diversity in casting. There are hispanic networks and BET. Tyler Perry generally has all black casts. No one is complaining about that. Get over this BS.

6. Eli says:

If Last Resort doesn’t do well, please make Cinderella/Ashley aka Jessy Schram a regular too.

7. Sara says:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Lisa says:

I love Belle and Belle/Rumple so this is good news. Rumple is a main character so only makes sense his lady love would be a regular.

9. Dan says:

I must say it’s bringing me great joy to see the Belle/Emilie haters so bothered by this. Sucks for you guys. ;)

I’ve always loved Emilie, especially in Roswell and Lost. She’s hot as hell and a great little actress.

10. Barbie says:

Wow!!! I have absolutely NOTHING against Emilie, I really liked her as Claire in Lost. But I find her completely dull and lifeless as Belle. Maybe because I really do like the character of Belle and think she doesn’t do her justice, or I just feel they butchered the story making Rumple the Beast.

Still, I kind of don’t care, except I feel it’s going to consume a helluva a lot of airtime, I’m just over the moon for Meghan Ory being made a regular (who I happen to find a PERECT casting for Red, a character I think has a lot of life and guts and quickly became my favorite on the show — and I don’t particularly like Meghan, either– just her as the character) .

This is how I roll. I don’t care for actors and mostly not for shipping — all I care about are characters and how they come to life on the tv. And I think Emilie’s Belle is half way to dead.

11. PrisonMike92 says:

Now if only they’d promote Sebastian Stan to a regular. Then I’d be good for life haha

12. kelly says:

I came back from vacation and the first thing I read on the internet is this news… What an awesome ending to my vacation. Emilie de Ravin is a phenomenal actress and is so wonderful as Belle. I am glad they will keep Belle alive and explore her character. Also love the chemistry between Emilie de Ravin and Robert Carlyle. They were very beautiful and such an emotional story in Skin Deep. I hope the show keeps that unique beauty up and does keep them together.

13. Alhafra says:

Really glad to hear this! I really liked their story so far, and hopefully she’ll show Rumple that his actions have consequences. And more Red, yay!! Another good thing is that now that they have their memories back the Charmings will be more appealing (to me at least), because their Storybrook counterparts were reeeeally boring (I know it was the curse, which is why I didn’t mind it so much, but I’m grateful they will have their personalities back)

14. Monique says:

Robert Carlyle is just an amazing actor. No one could play Rumpey but him. Carlyle is the whole show for me. I think the writers are really smart….they give you Rumpey in small doses..not every week…so you keep coming back for him. Robert makes “freaky” so sexy! Love you, Mr. Gold.

15. kathy says:

Is Belle Tinkerbelle?

16. EvilRegal says:

No, she isn’t Tinkerbell. And she isn’t a good example of Stockholm Syndrome (look up a description of it, please), or an abusive relationship (think about it *deeply* for a second). Disney’s Beauty and the Beast was the first version of the story to make the Beast a jerk as well as ugly, so choosing the nastiest character on the show was a wise decision. Thank goodness they didn’t invent a new character; the show is choking with them already. Despite what many here seem to think (perhaps having not actually read or watched any other versions of Beauty and the Beast besides Disney’s) is that the original Beast character was about as exciting as a watermelon and so was Beauty, and the real villain of the story was a wicked fairy. The actors don’t have father-daughter vibes to me, especially since there’s only about 20 years difference between them (look it up), and this is about the same age difference as a host of other Beauty and the Beast inspired stories (Jane Eyre, for example). It’s just something that tends to work its way into the story. And as a side note for Red, she’s OK, but she’s also a ditz – which is understandable in that she’s very young and makes stupid decisions. I like her bouncy energy, but moments in which she’s actually calm and isn’t making huge eyes are the best for me. Emilie de Ravin needs to go back to the wigs, imo, since her hair (much too dark for someone with her complexion) looks greasy and lank most of the time, and her wardrobe (again, way too dark for her) makes her look 50 years old. I also wish they could show her being intelligent in some other way than having her consult a book on sailing to figure out that a very obvious sailor’s knot (where the heck did it fall from?!) came from a ship. Thanks a lot, writers. That’s what being smart is all about. Using books to find out things most people would know at a glance. At least she can read Chinese. THAT was impressive.