Burn Notice Preview: Michael's Reunion With His Mentor Is 'Intense' - Should Sam Be Worried?

Burn Notice Season 6 PreviewThis Thursday on USA Network’s Burn Notice, Michael will get a blast from the past when he learns that his onetime CIA mentor — played by ScrubsJohn C. McGinley — can help him finagle visitation rights with Fiona, in trade for Michael’s assistance in taking down a drug cartel.

PHOTO | First Look Poster: Burn Notice Season 6 Means Trouble!

“He is the guy who brought Michael into the intelligence community and trained him,” series creator Matt Nix says of McGinley’s character, Tom Card. “You see in him a bit of a surrogate father for Michael, or Michael’s ‘second’ father.”

In turn, you’ll also see that the apple did not fall far from the surrogate tree.

“He’s [played by] John C. McGinley! So if Michael is snarky, Tom Card is extra-snarky,” Nix shares with a laugh. “He’s a real operator, but he’s also got a complex relationship with Michael.”

RELATED | Burn Notice Boss Says ‘Very Different’ Season 6 Will Make Things ‘Vastly Worse’ for Michael

After all, it doesn’t take a super-spy to glean that amidst everything Michael has been through over the years, all the trials and tribulations, Tom Card never before resurfaced. Yeah, what’s up with that?

“When they meet back up, Tom makes the point that essentially there wasn’t a whole lot he could do,” Nix explains. “It doesn’t look good when a star pupil gets burned, so he was fighting for himself — ‘Sorry, kid’ and all that. So as close as they are and as much of a history as they’ve had, [their relationship] is also kind of fraught with that intense feeling.”

Just as entertaining promises to be Card’s dynamic with Sam, who just might feel a bit of bromantic jealousy when the man who taught Michael everything he knows reenters the mix.

“Sam is really disliked by the CIA because of the things that went on in the Fall of Sam Axe [prequel] movie,” Nix reminds, “So yeah, Tom Card tends to intentionally forget Sam’s name, or refer to him in snide way — ‘The one with the chin’ and things like that.”

1. Grace Fouche' says:

I thought I was the only one for a while . Then I found out everyone I talk to love this show . Some people started watching because of “Touching Evil”. Like me .

2. Michael says:

So will Tom Card be killed by Anson or join him

3. Amy says:

Maybe Tom was the one who told Anson to burn Michael. With this show I learned never to trust ANYBODY.

4. David says:

This show is nice summer fun and has never been too strong on logic. However, last week’s season premiere stretched and snapped my willing suspension of disbelief. Anson is driving down the highway, not suspecting anything until the truck blocks traffic. So he abandons the car, evidently carrying with him a gun (to shoot the guard) a dead-mans switch, and enough explosives to blow up an entire chemical plant? “He has the whole place wired” is what I believe Michael said about him. That’s a lot of explosives to take on a cross-country hike across that field. He snuck up on the guard with that?

• moobear says:

Seriously, it was the finale that you found unbelievable??? I’ve been in a war zone and Burn Notice’s Miami makes Iraq look like a tranquil vacation spot, every other episode, they’re flipping cars, blowing things up, somehow in the first couple of seasons, even though his accounts are frozen he has the money for rent (I forget if it was $400 or $500 the Russian charged), food, and high end gadgets, I mean I’ve learned my lesson on keeping a certain amount of assets liquid and accessible when I had my little misunderstanding with our government, but he rarely took money for those early jobs, so unless the CIA was giving him a substantial pay bump, I doubt he had that much socked away in dead drops, or that they would all be in Miami.
      Burn Notice, like USA’s other shows, tend toward fun escapism, which means you need to watch with a healthy dose of ‘suspension of reality’. The show isn’t realistically even for those people who don’t know the first thing about the Intelligence community, but it has a pretty boy (for us girls), a pretty girl (for you boys), who wears great clothes (again for us girls), and has a couple of witty and awesome side kicks, Mama Weston and Sam (for everyone). Just sit back and enjoy an hour without needing to engage too much of your brain.

• David says:

Oh, I definitely agree with you. That moment was just too much for me, although I previously went along with all of the things that you mention. The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back, and all.

• moobear says:

I’ll admit I didn’t know who Bruce Campbell was before the show, but I’ll keep watching it for Sam Axe alone….I loved the Fall of Sam Axe….blue camo!!!! I mean I never understood it’s existence, but now I know it was put on this planet just for that gag. Anyways, it was a little rough around the edges, but it was an ambitious project and heck the little documentary of the director going off the deep end, was priceless :D

5. prish says:

I love the show, but I am ready for the writers and producers to move onto Michael helping other burned spies to have their happy endings.

6. Jennifer says:

As long as Sam is not killed, then it will be great/

7. Devin says:

I like the show, but everyone is a critic right!

8. Devin says:

Correction, love the show, along with most USA tv shows :) we all have our opinions and I respect yours, thank you.

9. John Werner says:

I have read a couple of places where the show is basically cancelled and only eight episodes will air for season six…Is this correct?