Breaking Bad Exclusive First Look: A Tense Calm Before the Storm?

Get More: Exclusive, First Look

So… friends again?

Though it’s not likely that Breaking Bad’s Walt and Jesse are ever going to be able to get past everything that happened last season — especially because you just know Jesse’s going to learn the truth about Walt poisoning Brock  — TVLine has exclusive new art for the series’ fifth and final season that sets up their tentatively reformed partnership.

RELATED | First Look: Breaking Bad’s Season 5 Poster Heralds Arrival of New King

We know that after Bryan Cranston’s Walt “won” his deathmatch with Gus at the end of last season, the former high school teacher is the new Big Bad, and that former student Jesse (Aaron Paul) is his partner in a new drug empire. And when you compare these two — the hardened looks on both of their faces, their seedy location — to how they looked in Season 1, you’ve got one heck of a character transformation.

Breaking Bad’s Season 5 begins Sunday, July 15 at 10 pm/9c. In the meantime, take a look at the photo and then hit the comments to tell us what you think!

Breaking Bad Season 5 Premiere

Tags: ,

Comments (24)

• Omg, I CAN’T WAIT!!

Comment by Nina – June 18, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt this says anything about any upcoming plot lines. Both men looked photoshopped into the poster from previous images.

Comment by mst3k – June 18, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it. It has that familiar “Stay out of my territory” feel to it.

Comment by Dan – June 18, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When you add the poisoning to the fact that Walt let the love of Jesse’s life die when he could of saved her… you’re gonna have one very p’d off Pinkman.

Comment by Floodlit World – June 18, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely not Photoshop, but yes I totally agree; nothing can be summed up plot-wise. Still great to see the marketing machine in full swing.

Comment by Robert E. Holley (ROBatGraveShift) – June 18, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So thew Dasterdly Dealer Duo is gona take up Graffiti inbetween coooking & killing? Nice, a welcome twist- These KingPins have needed a constructive outlet for years now.

Comment by MisterPistol – June 18, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just an amazing show with amazing characters and writing. This and sons of anarchy are the two best shows. Hands down.

Comment by Jason geller – June 18, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Jesse just never find out?? I love it when these two get along and it makes me sad that it won’t last. Hopefully he won’t find out too soon.

Comment by stacy – June 18, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOW I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!!!

Comment by Jason Greenhouse – June 18, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a photo.

Comment by YowzaPowza – June 18, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walt’s downfall will be his hubris. A part of me hopes Jesse will be standing tall at the end of the series and another hopes that the great Heisenberg gets taken down by his protégée. Somehow I feel as though these are mutually exclusive sentiments

Comment by Mía – June 18, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see worry on Walt’s face more than a hardened look. The furrowing of his brow makes me think that. Of ourselves, I’m not even sure that Walt is capable of worry anymore…

Comment by Lana – June 18, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse never found out about Walt’s involvement in Jane’s drowning in Jesse’s bed. In “Fly” episode Walt says he’s sorry but doesn’t go into the details of his involvement before falling asleep. So why should Jesse find out about Walt’s actions towards Brock?

One question, is there anyone else who owns Lily of the Valley in Breaking Bad?

Comment by Snoz – June 18, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I caught some of the reruns last night on AMC. Watching that show a second time through is a whole different experience. It’s a lot easier to appreciate the second time around. You catch a lot more of the nuance of Cranston’s acting too. Just a fantastic show all-around. I really like it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • b-but brita is a water filter…

Comment by buddy – June 19, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!! I have viewed, Breaking Bad from episode 1, to the Last, 2 or 3 times.( I’m Sorry I love the show) and I have notice, and viewed cranston acting TOP NOTCH!!! when he is laying under his house, and finds out skyler gave the money to TED!!!!! Great acting!! If Cranston had a Major role in a well written movie… He would win a Academy award!!!!!

Comment by Daniel Sean Mclaughlin – June 29, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that walt is a biotch and jesse rules!!!!!

Comment by eric – June 26, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then my friend, U don’t really like Breaking Bad as a whole tv series.

Comment by Daniel Sean Mclaughlin – June 29, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Gus met his demise I thought that was the end of the series. At the beginning I liked Walt, but no longer. I suspect Jesse will rule someday.
    Aaron Paul is a damn good actor. I am sure he will get many more roles in the near future.

Comment by bobmann101 – June 29, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then the writers have done there job well. I hate to tell you this but Walt Will Be The Man in season FIVE.

Comment by Daniel Sean Mclaughlin – June 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why when the show is doing so great, and finally getting national attention with tv viewers, are the producers ENDING IT!!!!!!! WHY!!!!! The show can go SO MUCH Longer, it makes no sense. I know u want to go out on a High note, but there are many notes to be played. I LOVE breaking Bad, PLEASE!!!!! Do NOT end it now, u would be fools to do so. Or??? Make it into a movie, Cranston, and paul would be a great combo package on the big screen.I wish I was ur marketing P.R. person, this wouldn’t be happening

Comment by Daniel Sean Mclaughlin – June 29, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all the speculations on Jesse finding out, its gonna be just fine! Every time Walt is confronted with things he has done (or not) he finds an explanation for it to set himself free, and I think that will hapen again, if needed anyway. Still it’s gonna hapen. But that will not be the plot, i guess. The writers are so damn good in plot twists and finding new directions. Its hard to go on the 1 thing every1 is getting on about (jesse finding out…) so I will just be sucking up anything this season gives us and enjoy the fabulous magic of it! btw: I am in the Netherlands and cannot receive this show on tv, any1 want to send it to me by pc or so?

Comment by Aad – July 4, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • remember also that Hank is still badly wanting to catch Heisenberg! that is gonna be good aswell for the storyline. AND I really wish this will NOT be the LAST season :)

Comment by Aad – July 4, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post