Exclusive

Breaking Bad Exclusive First Look: A Tense Calm Before the Storm?

So… friends again?

Though it’s not likely that Breaking Bad’s Walt and Jesse are ever going to be able to get past everything that happened last season — especially because you just know Jesse’s going to learn the truth about Walt poisoning Brock  — TVLine has exclusive new art for the series’ fifth and final season that sets up their tentatively reformed partnership.

RELATED | First Look: Breaking Bad’s Season 5 Poster Heralds Arrival of New King

We know that after Bryan Cranston’s Walt “won” his deathmatch with Gus at the end of last season, the former high school teacher is the new Big Bad, and that former student Jesse (Aaron Paul) is his partner in a new drug empire. And when you compare these two — the hardened looks on both of their faces, their seedy location — to how they looked in Season 1, you’ve got one heck of a character transformation.

Breaking Bad’s Season 5 begins Sunday, July 15 at 10 pm/9c. In the meantime, take a look at the photo and then hit the comments to tell us what you think!

Breaking Bad Season 5 Premiere

1. Nina says:

Omg, I CAN’T WAIT!!

2. mst3k says:

I doubt this says anything about any upcoming plot lines. Both men looked photoshopped into the poster from previous images.

3. Dan says:

I like it. It has that familiar “Stay out of my territory” feel to it.

4. When you add the poisoning to the fact that Walt let the love of Jesse’s life die when he could of saved her… you’re gonna have one very p’d off Pinkman.

5. Robert E. Holley (ROBatGraveShift) says:

Definitely not Photoshop, but yes I totally agree; nothing can be summed up plot-wise. Still great to see the marketing machine in full swing.

6. MisterPistol says:

So thew Dasterdly Dealer Duo is gona take up Graffiti inbetween coooking & killing? Nice, a welcome twist- These KingPins have needed a constructive outlet for years now.

7. Jason geller says:

Just an amazing show with amazing characters and writing. This and sons of anarchy are the two best shows. Hands down.

8. stacy says:

Can Jesse just never find out?? I love it when these two get along and it makes me sad that it won’t last. Hopefully he won’t find out too soon.

9. NOW I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!!!

10. YowzaPowza says:

It’s a photo.

11. Mía says:

Walt’s downfall will be his hubris. A part of me hopes Jesse will be standing tall at the end of the series and another hopes that the great Heisenberg gets taken down by his protégée. Somehow I feel as though these are mutually exclusive sentiments

12. Lana says:

I see worry on Walt’s face more than a hardened look. The furrowing of his brow makes me think that. Of ourselves, I’m not even sure that Walt is capable of worry anymore…

13. Snoz says:

Jesse never found out about Walt’s involvement in Jane’s drowning in Jesse’s bed. In “Fly” episode Walt says he’s sorry but doesn’t go into the details of his involvement before falling asleep. So why should Jesse find out about Walt’s actions towards Brock?

One question, is there anyone else who owns Lily of the Valley in Breaking Bad?

14. Britta Unfiltered says:

I caught some of the reruns last night on AMC. Watching that show a second time through is a whole different experience. It’s a lot easier to appreciate the second time around. You catch a lot more of the nuance of Cranston’s acting too. Just a fantastic show all-around. I really like it.

• buddy says:

b-but brita is a water filter…

• Daniel Sean Mclaughlin says:

I agree!!! I have viewed, Breaking Bad from episode 1, to the Last, 2 or 3 times.( I’m Sorry I love the show) and I have notice, and viewed cranston acting TOP NOTCH!!! when he is laying under his house, and finds out skyler gave the money to TED!!!!! Great acting!! If Cranston had a Major role in a well written movie… He would win a Academy award!!!!!

15. eric says:

I think that walt is a biotch and jesse rules!!!!!

16. bobmann101 says:

When Gus met his demise I thought that was the end of the series. At the beginning I liked Walt, but no longer. I suspect Jesse will rule someday.
    Aaron Paul is a damn good actor. I am sure he will get many more roles in the near future.

• Daniel Sean Mclaughlin says:

Then the writers have done there job well. I hate to tell you this but Walt Will Be The Man in season FIVE.

17. Daniel Sean Mclaughlin says:

Why when the show is doing so great, and finally getting national attention with tv viewers, are the producers ENDING IT!!!!!!! WHY!!!!! The show can go SO MUCH Longer, it makes no sense. I know u want to go out on a High note, but there are many notes to be played. I LOVE breaking Bad, PLEASE!!!!! Do NOT end it now, u would be fools to do so. Or??? Make it into a movie, Cranston, and paul would be a great combo package on the big screen.I wish I was ur marketing P.R. person, this wouldn’t be happening

18. Aad says:

all the speculations on Jesse finding out, its gonna be just fine! Every time Walt is confronted with things he has done (or not) he finds an explanation for it to set himself free, and I think that will hapen again, if needed anyway. Still it’s gonna hapen. But that will not be the plot, i guess. The writers are so damn good in plot twists and finding new directions. Its hard to go on the 1 thing every1 is getting on about (jesse finding out…) so I will just be sucking up anything this season gives us and enjoy the fabulous magic of it! btw: I am in the Netherlands and cannot receive this show on tv, any1 want to send it to me by pc or so?

19. Aad says:

remember also that Hank is still badly wanting to catch Heisenberg! that is gonna be good aswell for the storyline. AND I really wish this will NOT be the LAST season :)