Critics' Choice Awards: Homeland, Community, Breaking Bad, Parks and Sherlock Win Big

Get More: Awards, News

Critics Choice AwardS Winners 2012At the Broadcast Television Journalists Association’s second annual Critics’ Choice Awards, held Monday night in Los Angeles, Showtime’s freshman hit Homeland was named Best Drama, while series lead Claire Danes took home Best Actress in a Drama honors.

Breaking Bad also won twice, for Lead Actor Bryan Cranston and Supporting Actor Giancarlo Esposito. Mad Men‘s Christina Hendricks was the night’s only repeat winner, having shared the Supporting Actress honor last year.

On the lighter side, Community was honored as Best Comedy Series, while Louis C.K. (Louie) was named Best Actor and Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation) split the Best Actress prize. Parks and Rec earned a second award, for Guest Performer Paul Rudd.

Awards-show favorite Modern Family claimed a pair of wins, for Ty Burrell and Julie Bowen in the supporting categories.

In the TV-Movie/Miniseries categories, PBS’ Sherlock had a lock on the top prize, while series lead Benedict Cumberbatch was named Best Actor. Julianne Moore won Best Actress, for her turn as Sarah Palin in HBO’s Game Change.

The complete list of winners, in the order they were announced, follows:

Best Animated Series | Archer, FX
“The clip they showed wasn’t as funny as the other clips because our show’s really dirty,” Aisha Tyler noted as cast and producers accepted the award. “If you watch it, there are lots of boobs…. So check it out.”

Best Movie/Miniseries | Sherlock, PBS
“If you haven’t been watching Sherlock, get started,” said Mel Rogers, president of PBS SoCal. “You’ll get hooked.”

Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries | Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock

Best Actress in a Movie/Miniseries | Julianne Moore, Game Change
“You can’t give any kind of performance without a [great] story,” the actress/Sarah Palin mimic noted, “so I’d like to thank the Republican party for fostering a truly amazing political story.”

Best Reality Series | Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Travel Channel)

Best Reality Series – Competition | The Voice (NBC)
“Thank you to Jimmy Kimmel ,who predicted this moment a half hour ago,” Voice host Carson Daly said in accepting the award. “The heart of The Voice is great stories…. We wanted to make uplifting family television and it has really resonated.”

Best Reality Show Host (TIE) | Tom Bergeron, Dancing with the Stars … and Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Wow!” Deeley exclaimed as she arrived at the podium. “I came here seven years ago, I think, and it was just an adventure… and I’m very, very lucky to do a show that I absolutely love. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think…. So thank you very much!”

Best Talk Show | Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (NBC)

Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series | Paul Rudd, Parks and Recreation
Accepting for Rudd, Parks and Rec‘s Nick Offerman read a (fake) note saying, “If this is for that movie I did with Amy Poehler, it was awesome and all of the dudes were really handsome.”

Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series | Lucy Liu, Southland
“I didn’t expect this at all,” Liu said. “It’s just been such a thrill to be working with such a wonderful cast and fantastic crew.

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series | Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad
“I want to think the universe for putting me here and allowing me to be present and for allowing me to be so enamored and inspired by the people in this room…. Aaron Paul, I share this with you and all of the other nominees.”

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series | Christina Hendricks, Mad Men

Best Actor in a Drama Series | Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Best Actress in a Drama Series | Claire Danes, Homeland

Best Drama Series | Homeland (Showtime)
“We’d like to dedicate this the to the writing staff of New Girl,” said EP Howard Gordon. “Homeland shares a bathroom with New Girl and they’re a surprisingly hygienic bunch.”Critics Choice Award winners

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series |
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
“I just can’t believe I have a job. I spent the bulk of my life unemployed, so much so that when I walk into a room like this my first instinct is to case the place for food. My fake wife (Julie Bowen) can attest to that.”

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy |
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
“This means a lot coming from [presenter] Ginny [Goodwin], who started her career playing one of my students on Ed… which is weird because we’re the same age now. It happens,” Bowen said with a laugh. “Thank you for recognizing a show that is so fun to do with such fun people. Thank you to my fake children, especially my daughters who provide me with the non-penis time I’m never gonna get at home.

Best Actor in a Comedy Series | Louis C.K., Louie

Best Actress in a Comedy Series (TIE) | Zooey Deschanel, New Girl … and Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Aubrey Plaza, accepting for Poehler: “Amy said she trusted me, that I would know the right thing to say. So… on behalf of Amy, I want to thank the devil and all the dark lords!”
Zooey Deschanel: “Oh my god, I’ve never won anything before. Literally not since 5th grade student council… Liz Meriwether, thank you for creating this show. Ugh, I love you. Best cast ever. I feel like I should be funny. I wish I had the Parks and Rec people to accept my award for me.”

Best Comedy Series | Community (NBC)
“Hey, we won something! This is really unexpected,” series lead Joel McHale said in accepting the award. “I want to thank Dan Harmon, who created the greatest show on television…. We would like to thank NBC for keeping us on the air…. Jokes all aside, we are thrilled to be here tonight.”

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association also released its list of “Most Exciting New Series”: Fox’s The Following (premieres midseason) and The Mindy Project (debuts Sept. 25), ABC’s Nashville (premieres in fall), HBO’s The Newsroom (June 24) and USA Network’s Political Animals (July 15).

Comments (157)

• JUSTICE! Community wins!

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Injustice Modern Family Lost!

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tell me you think this season of Modern Family was as good as last year.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 18, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I do, and so do a lot of people, not like the ratings fell

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community for Best Comedy? It has to be a joke, especially if there are tv shows like Modern Family and New Girl out there.

Comment by Luu – June 18, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Modern Family and New Girl but I think Parks & Recreation is better. No other comedy is as inventive as Community and that’s why we love it.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 18, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No comedy is better than Modern Family and that is why we love it, creative doesn’t mean better

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Modern Family is grossly overrated and Community is the best comedy on television. Look, I can state my opinion as fact, too.

Comment by J. – June 18, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This!!!!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 10:10 PM PDT
        • Creative DOES mean better! Are you serious? Are you saying the same characters in the same situations we’ve already seen them in would be better than, say, an animated episode of Modern Family? Or how about an episode completely devoted to a dream Phil has where he’s a WWII fighter pilot with a really bad British accent? Unfortunately, they’re locked into the mockumentary format and they’re running out of situations to put their characters in. It’s a good show, but it did not color outside the lines at all this season.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 18, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can name 5 comedies better than Modern Family, including Parks and Rec, which should have won IMO. Modern Family had a fantastic first season, but it’s since become lazy, repetitive, and predictable. It’s time for some other shows to get some recognition.

Comment by jcshell – June 18, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks should have won for Best Comedy. But at least it wasn’t Modern Family again–I like MF but it’s not like they need any further support.

Comment by Laura E. – June 18, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is this about support you give it to the best and that is Modern Family

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I want to think that you’re Mike posting under a different name and that there aren’t two Modern Family fans who are completely blinded by bias. Just because YOU think something is the best doesn’t mean it is. Community was better this season and that’s why they won. Simple as that.

Comment by J. – June 18, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nope I am sure there are many Modern Family fans who feel its the best on TV, it has many, many fans. And can’t we say the Community fans also have bias? Let’s see how the Emmy’s turn out.

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL Yeah, at this point I’m convinced that “Dan” and “Jen” are the same poster, too. Even if they aren’t, they need to stop making the same comment over and over and over. You (blindly) love Modern Family. We get it.

Comment by Anna – June 18, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Again no, and if so prove it. And you don’t blindly love Community?

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:23 PM PDT
          • Actually, I don’t blindly love Community. I think it is quite overrated. (I much prefer Parks and Recreation, for the record.) I just find people who make the same comment 20 times in the same thread laughable. Repetition doesn’t make an opinion stronger. Quite the opposite really.

Comment by Anna – June 18, 2012 10:30 PM PDT
        • And can’t i say the same thing just because YOU think it best doesn’t mean it is, Community fan complain all the time when it doesn’t get the Emmy for best comedy how is that any different.

Comment by Jen – June 18, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Zooey D, AMY FREAKING POEHLER, and Community!!

Comment by Sarah – June 18, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SIX SEASONS AND A MOVE, BITCHES!

Comment by Will – June 18, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congratulation Community!

Comment by anik – June 18, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, my last post for the night and I’ll stop spamming the comment board. It mostly went the way I wanted, just except for those pesky supporting comedy wins. And Zooey didn’t need to tie with the fantastic Amy Poehler. I like Modern Family, I do, I just feel like Danny Pudi and Alison Brie deserved those supporting wins more. Alison’s got that great comic timing, and Danny’s performance of Abed…I just don’t understand how he does it. He’s amazing. I think very few people in Hollywood could pull off that character in quite the genius way he does. I hope the show’s win helps its chances with the Emmys, and also improves its standing with NBC. And as long as I’m dreaming, how about getting the back 9 picked up for the show, along with a better time slot on a better night, Dan Harmon gets his job back, and I get a pet unicorn?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 18, 2012 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like your dream world. Have you been in the Dreamatorium lately ;)?

Comment by Angela – June 18, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Julia Louis-Dreyfus gets screwed yet again.

Comment by Liv – June 18, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s fantastic on Veep. I am thrilled Amy Poehler won and think it’s well-deserved because she is just terrific on Parks, but if anyone was going to tie with her, it should have been JLD and not Zooey D.

Comment by jcshell – June 18, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love julie bowen and aubrey plaza. wish i could have seen it!

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 18, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Parks and Recreation is the best comedy on TV, but if it didn’t win I’m glad Community did. My biggest gripe of the night was Ty Burrell over Nick Offerman. Ron Swanson is the best character on TV. He has made my gut hurt from laughter more times than I can remember.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree with every word you wrote.

Comment by p0pculture – June 18, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zooey Deschanel:” I think I’m supposed to be funny. I wish I had the Parks and Rec people to accept my award for me.”

I agree.

Comment by LJ – June 18, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even she knows she’s not as funny as anyone on Parks.

Comment by p0pculture – June 18, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And to do the acting for her as well, would make New Girl tolerable then.

Comment by AJ – June 19, 2012 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Zooey, okay? But she didn’t deserve best actress in comedy title. What the fudge were they thinking???? That show is not even funny.

Comment by Lyla – June 18, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I see this Awards show is like all the rest!!!! A bunch of BS!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad now that it wasn’t televised or I probably would of thrown something through my television screen!

Comment by Peggy Thacker – June 18, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY COMMUNITY!! SO HAPPY FOR THEM!! OUR LITTLE SHOW WON SOMETHING..

Comment by T – June 18, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG Congrat’s The Voice!! I love that show!! The vibe and the coaches all together make the show amazing!!! Hope that show get’s more awards in the future this show keeps it real and I love it!!

Comment by gigi – June 18, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, i’ve never wanted a show to crash and burn more. They produce zero talent or talent that goes nowhere, it’s just a gameshow.

Comment by sam – June 21, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s with all the ties? Tie’s are nice but not in more than one category.

Comment by sam – June 18, 2012 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The voice winning is an absolute joke, awful reality show.

Comment by tim – June 18, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thrilled about archer, parks and rec, sherlock, and community. and i don’t begrudge zooey taking home a best comedy actress prize too. i think she’s great on new girl. i would have been bummed if she won OVER amy but honestly the girl is hilarious on that show. good for her.

Comment by murley – June 18, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyyy for Community.

Comment by Eliza – June 18, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • way to go Sherlock. I love Cumberbatch and Freeman in this series :-)

Comment by Wendi – June 18, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Can not say enough good things about both actors!

Comment by LadyB – June 20, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good god, just look at how much sense most of these awards make! Emmys, take note.

Comment by Superhero – June 18, 2012 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COMMUNITY FINALLY DESERVEDLY WON SOMETHING YES!!

Comment by Juan – June 19, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe there was nothing for Once Upon A Time or The Big Bang Theory!!!
    (Get over the fascination with Modern Family all ready!)

Comment by Cathy – June 19, 2012 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the Modern Family lovers, I want you to point out which episode from this season was better than Community’s “Remedial Chaos Theory” (and a number of other outstanding episodes). Good luck.

Comment by AJ – June 19, 2012 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sherlock and Benedict wins: OBVIOUSLY!

Comment by Ellie – June 19, 2012 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great winners :D
    Happy for Homeland and Claire, Zooey and The Voice but can’t agree with Carson “The heart of The Voice is great stories” No, the heart of The Voice are the judges!

Comment by Deena – June 19, 2012 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Sherlock/Benedict and Community.

Comment by liana – June 19, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sherlock, Benedict Cumberbatch and Cat Deeley! Congrats!!

Comment by Renee – June 19, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, yes and yes!! :)

Comment by LadyB – June 20, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurray for Sherlock and Benedict! Now if we can just get the Emmy folks to sit up and take notice…..

Comment by dessaureaux – June 19, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland is a great series but better than Breaking Bad?

Critics criticize Award Shows and then do no better.

Comment by Lou Sytsma (@OldDarth) – June 19, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t the Emmys be more like this?
    SO happy for all the winners. I honestly love every one of those shows! How rare is that?!

Comment by Alexis – June 19, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch! Happy for Jomeland and Claire Danes as well, though I wish Damian Lewis could have finally won for his role.

Comment by This – June 19, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best Reality Series | Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Travel Channel)

WTF. Seriously? Such a polarizing host.

And although there’s nothing wrong with Community, there’s just something better about Parks and Recreation.

Comment by Kalee – June 19, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hourra \\ O // for Sherlock and the amazing Cumberbach actor’s performance \\ O // Yippy !!

Comment by Andréa Mum – June 19, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEY for Lucy Liu- she deserved that award. She guested the heck out of that role…:-)

Comment by kateshomesick – June 19, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That guy from breaking bad was no where near as good as Damien Lewis in Homeland. What a joke.

Comment by Nick – June 19, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super happy about Sherlock/Cumberbatch, glad it’s getting more recognition in the states. It’s a flawless show, here’s hoping the Emmys follow suit.

Comment by Emma – June 19, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just adding to the accolades for Benedict Cumberbatch and Sherlock. A well-wrought character on a beautfiully written show. Well done!

Comment by LadyB – June 20, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m just on my fourth episode of Homeland — does anyone find Clare Danes character just super annoying? So far i’m not seeing how this is a great show by any means.

Comment by sam – June 21, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post