Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Movie/Miniseries Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

Game Change is more than just the name of the polarizing HBO picture that could take home the 2012 Emmy in the now-merged movie/miniseries category, it’s also the underlying theme of the whole race.

Until last year, when PBS’ Downton Abbey pulled off an upset, HBO projects had taken the gold for nearly a decade. Suddenly, it seemed like anything could happen — and, suddenly, it did. Downton’s move to the drama series category makes the movie/mini derby an HBO-vs.-PBS free-for-all.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series

Thanks to Game Change — as well as the marquee value of Hemingway & Gellhorn — the cable network would appear to have the edge. But there’s a growing sentiment that no potential nominee or winner is more deserving than PBS’ Sherlock. For now, however, whether that stellar underdog will score a nod, much less a win, remains a mystery. Another potential spoiler: FX’s rookie anthology American Horror Story. And with its record-shattering ratings, along with A-level stars in Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton, History’s Hatfields & McCoys solidified its Emmy chances.

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys, Lists

1. Sherlock is by far my favorite show of this list! But I do love Luther too, great writing and acting.

• AB says:

Can I vote for Sherlock 6 times? Because Sherlock rocks my world.

• Alexis says:

Leave it to the Brits to show the Emmys how it’s done.
      As much as I love Sherlock, I absolutely adore Luther and the amazing Idris Elba. I can’t believe Barry Pepper won the Best Actor Emmy over him and Édgar Ramírez last year!
      The Hours was also top-notch. I hope it will at least attract acting nominations for Romola Garai and Dominic West.
      Can we just acknowledge how fantastically well The Wire cast are doing?

2. CHe says:

No one likes the awesomeness of THE HOUR! I agree that SHERLOCK is a piece of art, but THE HOUR was just such a delight.

3. Ly says:

Sherlock all the way!

4. jess says:

I just rewatched that Sherlock episode last night! So great!!! Love how this category is dominated by british series, and rightly so. luther and the hour are both amazing. haven’t seen great expectations yet. I didn’t know Gillian Anderson is in it. I’m currently watching Bleak House with her, so i’m about 3 years behind my Dickens adaptations…

5. Dani says:

Sherlock was amazing, but I’d be happy for Luther to win too.

• Short Stuff says:

Absolutely Dani. Both were outstanding. Those UK people really know how to do a mini-series.
      Speaking of series (well I am anyway)… am still going through Game of Thrones withdrawal. :-(

6. sarah says:

Hatfields and McCoys!!!

7. This says:

Sherlock all. The. Way.

8. guestofseth says:

Shame Call the Midwife hasn’t aired in America yet, it’s brilliant and would have easily got a nomination. Sherlock for the win definitely, The Hour, Luther and Great Expectations deserve nominations as well. Page Eight was good as well. Just is case people think I’m a biased Brit, I loathed Titanic, it was awful could get a nom because of Fellowes though.

9. Isabella says:

All I care about is that Hugh Laurie gets an Emmy.

10. robinepowell says:

Whoo hoo Sherlock’s in the lead!!

11. Terry says:

HBO hasn’t taken the gold every year for a decade. PBS has beat HBO a few times. Such as with The Lost Prince & Little Dorrit 2 or 3 years ago. Research people.

Hattfields & McCoys is gonna win, hands down.

12. cj says:

Titanic had a few bright spots, acting-wise, but overall it’s not a very pleasurable viewing experience when you know most of, if not all the main characters are going to die. And there’s no anticipation in knowing exactly how it’s going to happen, but rather dread, thus keeping you an arm’s length away from becoming attached to any of the characters in the first place.

• Tess says:

Well, the movie Titanic was dealing with the same subject but that didn’t stop people from seeing it and enjoying it even though they knew the outcome so what bearing should that have on whether the miniseries gets a nomination?

• Alice says:

Last week I saw the ‘Titanic’ miniseries on a plane. It did get to a rather slow start, but by about halfway through, I was thoroughly enthralled. When the father and daughter were sitting in the stairwell holding each other with the water rising and the door slowly closed on them… wow.

13. Trent says:

Luther, Sherlock that is all

14. David says:

An ex-eaquo win for Kidman and Moore would be awesome.

15. paula says:

Game Change all the way!

16. TheBeach says:

H&M, and Game Change were great. Hemingway was very good. I hear amazing things about Sherlock and look forward to catching it. Titanic was a titanic bore.

17. Tess says:

Downton Abbey should’ve stayed in this category if it could have since it would’ve had a better chance at being nominated.
    Seeing Luther and The Hour listed just made me wonder – why aren’t more BBC America shows considered for Emmy’s?

18. Short Stuff says:

Sherlock and Luther are tied in my books. Both were outstanding in writing and performances. i loved the fast-paced dialogue and characters of “Sherlock” while “Luther” left me holding my breath every week asking “why do I have to wait 7 days to find out what happens next?????”
    Fabulous UK series.. absolutely top notch.

19. dude says:

American Horror Story was one of the best shows of the year.

20. MJ says:

Why is Sherlock only submiting “A scandal in Belgravia” for consideration? are miniseries only allowed to submit one episode?

21. Ally says:

The Hatfields and McCoys was very very good. Mare Winningham, Lindsay Pulsipher and Kevin Costner were awesome, as well as the rest of the cast.

22. tina lofty says:

downton abbey deserves a nomination for best drama and michelle dockery for best actress
    for drama