Exclusive: Bunheads Taps Gilmore Girls Alum Chris Eigeman as [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Chris EigemanBunheads is bringing another Gilmore Girls alum into the fold.

Chris Eigeman — who played Lorelai’s boyfriend, Jason “Digger” Stiles, on the late WB/CW series — will guest star on the ABC Family dramedy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Parenthood, Bunheads and More!

Eigeman will appear in Episode 8 as Conor, the director of a play that Michelle (Sutton Foster) and Fanny (GG alumna Kelly Bishop) attend.

Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino hasn’t been shy about using actors from her previous project on the new series. In addition to Bishop and Eigeman, Rose Abdoo (Stars Hollow’s resident mechanic Gypsy) plays Sparkles shopkeeper Sam in Bunheads and Gregg Henry (Logan’s dad Mitchum) will recur as a surfer dude who owns a local restaurant.

Eigeman most recently appeared in the pilot of HBO’s Girls as Hannah’s boss.

Comments (49)

• I think that in addition to those that are mentioned, Tom the contractor from GG (Biff Yeager) will also make an appearance. True?

Comment by taylorrness – June 15, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure I spotted the actress who played Drella on GG in the Bunheads pilot as well!

Comment by Danielle – June 15, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw Drella too!! At first I was like “Where do I know her?” and then it clicked (harped?)! Glad I wasn’t going nuts and it actually was her.

Comment by SK – June 15, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was Miss Celine also! If I’m not mistaken, she was originally pegged to play Sookie before the show was in production. @MichaelAusiello do you know if that is correct?

Comment by Teresa Silvestri (@tmsilvestri) – June 15, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Alex Borstein was Sookie in the original pilot, but couldn’t join the show because of MADtv. She’s married to Jackson in real life.

Comment by Amy – June 15, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This better be a one-off. HATED Digger.

Comment by Kate – June 15, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO. Jason drove me nuts.

Comment by ella – June 15, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. That whole story fell flat for me because I never thought Jason and Lorelai had any chemistry what.so.ever.

Comment by april-ann – June 17, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I also agree about the chemistry between Loreli and Jason, but more importantly was he showed up at the Dragonfly opening and was in the way of Loreli and Luke FINALLY getting together. I loved that Suki and Michel called him and told him his condo was on fire so he would leave. However, that being said, I think Chris Eigeman is a good actor, and obviously good to work with or ASP wouldn’t have hired him again.

Comment by meleliot – June 18, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather see Max Medina, but I’m so lonesome for GG that I’ll settle for Digger.

Comment by Suzie – June 15, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Max would be awesome, I love him.

Comment by Lauren – June 16, 2012 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I much preferred Max too, but he is busy working on Necssary Roughness. Love him.

Comment by meleliot – June 18, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also heard Todd Lowe(Zack on GG,Terry on True Blood) will also guest star

Comment by tvaddict – June 15, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg i hated him in Gilmore Girls. So happy they just cut his story line off completely.

Comment by S – June 15, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mitchum is going to be a surfer dude!!! lol

Comment by A – June 15, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! How’s that for not typecasting someone!

Comment by Elizabeth – June 15, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s going to awesome!

Comment by Annika – June 15, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just watched his first episode earlier and i knew he was familiar, but i couldn’t remember from where i had seen him. lol

Comment by Elizabeth – June 19, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Digger, wasn’t so bad. He wasn’t LUKE though!
    Lor’s dad, Richard and Diggers own dad, screwed Digger!
    I think he had a case against Richard n dad!!!

Comment by David Torres – June 15, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember him! He was that “boyfriend” who had no chemistry with Lorelei because he was gay. Or at least he seemed gay.

Comment by Miffy – June 15, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all for as many GG alums as possible, but I NEED Miss Patty. They run a dance studio for crying out loud!

Comment by Christie – June 15, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah! Fantastic. This show is shaping up nicely. I never believed Jason and Lorelai as a great romantic match, but he was a rare match for her verbally and intelligence-wise. Eigeman’s fantastic in everything though.

Comment by Laura – June 15, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone actually like Digger? I just liked his guest room.

I’m sure it’s just a matter of time til Sherilyn Fenn shows up.

Comment by Amy – June 15, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooh, yeah, and his fancy TV. I remember he had weird sleeping issues, too. And while I love Sherilynn Fenn, I’m hoping for some Kirk. Bring on the Kirk

Comment by Jane – June 15, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sherilyn blonde as Jess’ dad’s girlfriend or Sherilyn brunette as April’s mom? ASP may go too far reusing cast members.

Comment by Suzie – June 16, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just think, it the Jess spin off had made it, ASP wouldn’t have felt the need to write another part for Sherilyn and we might never have had April!

Comment by Amy – June 16, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously couldn’t stand this guy. His delivery on the rapid-fire banter was awful. He was unlikable, unattractive, and not her type at all. This still bothers me years later, haha.

Comment by Garrett Bridges – June 15, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it is killing me that there are so many gilmore girls actors… :)

now please make Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel appear in an episode!!

Comment by Line – June 15, 2012 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving Bunheads! This is great. Now bring on Scott Patterson.

Comment by LovingBunheads – June 16, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding? Chris Eigeman is awesome. Have you ever seen Metropolitan or Barcelona? The guy is a comic genius. I liked Digger. Don’t hate on an actor, just because you are a Luke and Lorelai fan. Give him a chance on Bunheads, since there are no ships, yet.

Comment by Ashley – June 17, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG – Why doesn’t Amy just have a GG reunion already. Another red dance studio? Is Jesse going to make an appearance? I expected to see everyone from the Stars Hollows’ town meeting at Hubbells funeral. And I’m sorry but there is only one Hubbell and that will always be Robert Redford.

Comment by Eileen – June 18, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She IS having a GG reunion, right here on this show. :-) But I’ll be really glad to see Chris Eigeman. I always thought he was a terrific actor.

Comment by Gina – June 20, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved seeing “Mitchum” pop up and playing the surf bum barkeep. This was great! And his banter with our main character was so on/ rapid fire. Keep it coming

Comment by Jenny – June 19, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but the old guy Michelle got the dog from was one of the guys from the steam room at “the club” who had lunch with Rory and Richard after Richard taught her to play golf in the first season. I know I am a serious GG nerd!

Comment by meleliot – June 20, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought that was one of the guys from the steam room. I’m not the only GG nerd!

Comment by Laurie – July 6, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Laurie – OMG, I knew that too, he played both parts, I just didn’t mention it because I didn’t want people to think I was that OCD about GG. LOL! It’s nice to know I’m not alone ;)

Comment by Missy Eliot (@meliots) – July 6, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am LOVING this show! I’m still a GG devotee and was crushed when my local cable dropped Soapnet so Bunheads is a most welcome next generation show.

Can’t wait to see who ASP serves up next… Mrs. Kim, Kirk, Michele,Taylor or, God forbid, Paris? So far each GG actor has been given a completely opposite Bunhead persona.

Let’s hope every episode has an ‘Easter Egg” for us to discover! It would be fun to have a site focused on discovering the paralles between GG and Bunheads because I have the feeling this is just the beginning.

Comment by Erica – June 22, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we can add Sean Gunn (Kirk) to the list. So far it’s been “Emily, Gypsy, Drella/Miss Celine and Mitchum” Amy Sherman Palladino sure loves her GG alum

Comment by Laurie – July 6, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot the guy who played the one eyed plumber. He was lanes boyfriend and I cant remember his name on the show. Gah! Mind blank

Comment by Ashlee Vaughn – August 6, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • .Would love to see Miss Patty, Kirk, Babette and Taylor. Loved them all!

Comment by Ashlee Vaughn – August 6, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one-eyed plumber was Zack!!! Played by Todd Lowe! Fellow GG Geek, didn’t like Jason “Diggar” Sytles either!

Comment by Thelma – August 6, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it just me or are any of you losing your enthusiasm for this show?

Bunheads is not GG by any measure and I find myself wincing and grimacing at the snappy dialog which was the GG’s hallmark. Michelle and Fanny are irritating and shrill and I can’t get invested in any of the little girl characters either.

Maybe my expectations were too high in the first place, but where is the charm?

So disappointing….

Comment by ES – August 6, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ES – I know what you mean. I wanted to ADORE this show, but I am not invested in the characters either. I really really wanted this to replace the hole GG left, but it’s just not holding up. The girls annoy me, and the fabulous Sutton Foster seems manic in her delivery. The trotting out, almost every episode, of a GG character completely takes me out of the “Paradise” landscape and brings me right back to Stars Hollow (even though I do enjoy seeing them, I feel if ASP wants to make Bunheads a separate entity, she can’t just bring everyone back.) Like you, I am sure my expectations were too high. Maybe I would have liked it more without the GG comparison, but I would have never known about this show, as I would not have tuned in if it had been written by anyone other than ASP. I will finish out the season and see what shakes out at the end. I hope ASP gets the memo and corrects accordingly.

Comment by Melissa29 – August 8, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for your reply. I am in total alignment with your observations and certainly hope that ASP gets the message, although I have no idea who, if anyone, reads this other than hopelessly devoted GG fanatics like us who hoped and prayed that Bunheads would fill the void. I still get a kick out of seeing GG alums show up in Paradise, but that’s not enough to keep me tuned in forever.

ASP PLEASE WORK YOUR MAGIC ON THIS SHOW!!!!

Comment by ES – August 9, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t one of the background dancers an actor who played Dean’s little sister on GG?

Comment by merbear – August 8, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geez – now GG’s Kirk is on the show in addition to Zack. Maybe Rory and Lorelai will move to Paradise soon . . .

Comment by lm – August 14, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say that if Lauren Graham shows up as a guest star, I’m going to seriously cry… PLEASE DON’T DO THAT TO US, AMY. Same goes with Scott.

Comment by Kira – September 4, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both Alexis and Lauren have moved on to other shows…..no way they will be back. Have to say, saw an interview f/2010 or 2011 (GG Revisited kind of video on YouTube) in which Lauren and Alexis were talking @GG and laughing (not in nice way) about GG fanatics.

Alexis the worst, said she didn’t miss Stars Hollow, didn’t remember much of it and wasn’t really a fan….even Lauren gave her a look like “kid, this show gave you a career”. In my eyes, Lauren is Lorelie in real life–just love her!

Alexis doesn’t deserve a comeback. Lately, she made it to Mad Men and got naked. ICK. Kid, this isn’t moving forward, it’s becoming every actress in Holllywood who will take their clothes off for a role. Amy would never approve nor would GG fans, but Alexis doesn’t even have the know-how to Thank Amy for the best role she will EVER have in her life. Without Amy’s dialog, she’s a shy, boring and one-dimensional actress.

Maybe in 20 years, she’ll be pushing for a Rory comeback role. By then, we won’t care.

As to Bunheads, yes…it’s fun to see the GG cast show up, but I really CANNOT tolerate the lead actress! She is not funny, and I cringe when she’s trying to be witty in a GG sort of way. IMOHO, she was so miscast in this role (and NOT b/c she’s not Lorelie). She’s too stage acting all of the time and her mouth actions just turns me off, the way she twists it and grins. Nightmares.

Sigh…..all right, I’ll admit it. If Lauren was in the role, as a new personna, she would kill in this role…even if she can’t dance. LOL. I think Amy wrote this as a Lorelie talented actress, but got the absolute wrong actress to play her.

Sorry Amy……love your writing but is it too late to recast the lead? Show will not flourish as is. And I love your writing and wit and the other characters on your new show. Just not…..her.

Comment by Meara – October 23, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! I cannot believe how well-received she has been. I didn’t expect her to be Lauren Graham but she is so unappealing. I’m rarely if ever unaware of her acting, such is her over-reaching. I keep trying to like the show and I do like the strained relationship between Michelle and Fanny but there are serious fundamental issues with both the character and the overly theatrical lead actress. Hopefully, she will get the right feedback and tone it down. In GG, as unlikely as the witty banter was, it seemed realistic or charming enough to get lost in. In Bunheads, not so much. It can be embarrassingly bad at times and pales in comparison to GG which it calls to mind so often it’s bound to kill the show. I hope they figure this out in time to save the show.

Comment by DonnaD – March 18, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post