It's Official: Showtime Cancels Weeds, Season 8 Will Be Show's Last

Get More: Cancellations, News

Weeds CancelledWeeds is going up in smoke.

Showtime has pulled the plug on the long-running pot dramedy; the show’s upcoming eighth season will be its last.

“There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming,” Showtime entertainment president David Nevins told EW.com, which broke the news. “How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and leading lady Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Weeds’ farewell season premieres Sunday, July 1.

Tags: ,

Comments (104)

• Can’t finish that last thought…seriously tired. Seriously just finished watching four episodes of Weeds. But, I have Nurse Jackie waiting for me! God, I need to read a book!!

Comment by Talldrinkawater – February 22, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It absolutely is NOT ENOUGH. Great shows go on for a lot longer. They have ebbs and flows. This show was but a child. wished it could have gotten to grow up!

Comment by adam – March 10, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s what makes a show great it ends. What makes a show real is to conceptualize the demise of a major character

Comment by grimas – March 15, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats some BS, they should keep it going. This show is the best!

Comment by Kris – March 16, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • weeds is awsome why should it get canceled

Comment by pablo – March 17, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very sad to see the show go… Very upset they rushed it to an end…. I LOVE WEEDS…I was definitely hoping for a season 9 :(

Comment by Stacia – March 18, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show! Sad to see it end. In my opinion should’ve had another season. Just makes you want to keep on watching and knowing what’s next. Very afflicting show makes you feel like part of the Botwin family.

Comment by Misty Balen – March 25, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell man? You guys ruined my life I was sitting here day after day waiting on Weeds to make a new season. This will forever be one of my favorites. I can relate in so many ways. Just remember folks, buy it, roll it, smoke it. On 420 everybody who loves Weeds gotta smoke one for Nancy, Silas, Andy, of course my nigga Conrad, Doug, and OG Heylia. Ima miss getting high while watching this.

Comment by B.J. Upshaw – March 26, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • dont forget shane lol, i will forever miss this show :( i used to get baked all the time and watch it, i feel like my best freind died

Comment by cameron – March 27, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best show ever. they should keep it going. I hated seeing the last episode!!! heartbreaking.

Comment by Klarissa – April 3, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im just now watching the whole series on Netflix. This is the some of the best dialogue I’ve ever heard, on TV or movies. I could watch this the rest of my life. Sorry it has to end at season 8. Kudoos to the writers and creator of Weeds.

Comment by jan olson – April 4, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you think this is good dialogue I shudder to think of what you are exposed to on a daily basis.

Comment by Dee – June 11, 2013 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally think all of the seasons of weeds are great. I had a blast watching them. Good job guys!

Comment by Taylor – April 15, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weeds has been part of my life for so long.I would have loved to see it go on for a few more seasons.FAVORITE SHOW EVER!!

Comment by marie – May 6, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • weeds was the best show ever for us “stoners” i watched and loved every min of every episode. this show ended way to early there are so many more things to answer but alas i must deal with the end. weeds you set the stage for so many more shows of this nature i can only hope showtime walks through the door weeds has opened……side note Andy (of weeds) without a doubt best character of the show i will never forget the things said by andy during this awesome high ride of the greatest show ever put on this earth. weeds rip…thank god netflix has all the seasons.

Comment by Joe – May 12, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring Weeds back!

Comment by Marcia stearns – May 24, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wahhhhhh!!!!

Comment by chhhiiiccckkiii – May 28, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Complete trash created by the ugliest woman on the planet. How on earth does her husband have sex with her? She looks like John Goodman in a wig and has a vocabulary limited to two or three of the nastiest curse words. Where’s the creativity here? Edginess is all that’s required today for this moronic public to think they’re watching something really good and for the idiots in Hollywood to hand out their meaningless awards. Pathetic. Good riddance Jenji Kohan and all your ilk (that includes Lena Dunham, the queen of frauds).

Comment by Dee – June 11, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am pretty sure that Tv people are all about the people and what they want to watch. I happen to know this because I talked to a women that was in this type of business. All that you guys want is what we want. That’s what sells. To be honest I absolutely love your tv show weeds and so do most of these people from the comments. I am just a ordinary person just like all of these people. All that “WE THE PEOPLE” want is for you to turn it back on. This show brought life and excitement with all the characters that were chosen. The best one that stood out the most was Esteban Reyes to me. He made the show complete. This show is perfect for all the people. But hey like I said I am just a ordinary person and if you don’t think the people like weeds more than dexter than your thinking wrong. If any of the characters or producers had ever met me they would be surprised that all of this would be coming out of my mouth. Well, Tvline media, LLC I hope you take all my words into suggestion. Have a good day.

Comment by Wildcats22 – September 20, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost never comment plus its late but What does it matter? cancelled or ended. Its over. Shouldn’t matter. These arguments on here are pointless.

Comment by M H – January 17, 2014 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post