Sons of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam: Season 5′s Jax Probably Won't Be 'Crying as Much'

Get More: Interviews, Scoop

Sons of Anarchy‘s much-anticipated fifth season is still (way too many) months away. But with the never-ending flow of casting news surging through the Interwebs in recent weeks, we couldn’t resist prodding star Charlie Hunnam for some scoop.

Having only just begun production on the FX biker drama’s latest outing, Hunnam’s still relatively in the dark about the season as a whole. He does, however, have a good idea about what Season 5′s Jax looks like — and he differs greatly from the Prince of Charming we’ve come to know.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Exclusive: Lost‘s Harold Perrineau Joins Cast as Big Bad Damon Pope

“Jax has been battling for four seasons about [staying with the club or leaving], and at the end of last year, he absolutely made the decision that he was going to stay,” the actor tells TVLine. “So, energetically, it’s a very different Jax.

“He’s not jumping up and down with excitement and full of gung ho, but he’s resigned to be here,” Hunnam continues. “And if he is going to be here, he’s going to make it work. This is a much more calm, mature, practical and driven Jax, which is going to be really exciting and fun to play.”

Basically, he adds with a laugh, “I don’t think Jax is going to be crying as much.”

RELATED | Eye on Emmy: Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam on Jax’s Evolution

Hunnam does, however, caution against confusing his Sons character’s resignation with contentment, noting that his choice ultimately is “going to suck. I’m sure in the back of Jax’s mind there’s still going to be some exit strategy, but that’s not for a long way off at this point.”

Thoughts on Sons of Anarchy‘s new (and improved?) Jax? Hit the comments!

Comments (159)

• JUST GIVE US MORE NAKED JAX SCENES AND I WILL BE HAPPY!

Comment by Sandra – June 22, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just enjoy the show. Its beautifully written and played out. The actors are amazing…especially Charlie Hunnam. The mans gorgeous. It has faults or certain aspects not all people are gonna enjoy but the bottom line is that its entertaining as hell, has amazing eye candy on motorcycles and for some reason entices people to make idiotic comments about the positive direction the show is taking. Either watch it or dont. Theres plenty of chicks out there who will jerk off to Jax enough to make up for the people who dont want to watch because theres a back and forth repetition. You have to give them credit for creating the epitome of the perfect bad boy. He can punch me in the face and spit on me any time.

Comment by chan – June 28, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what season 5 is going to bring.. lots more drama im killing to see..

Comment by riki – June 29, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a new fan. I watched it on netflix and was hooked. I bought the dvds and have watched them 12 times. I also got my family and co-workers hooked. I love everything about this show. It is my favorite show. It leaves you wanting more! I lov

Comment by Shirley – June 30, 2012 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooops. I love Happy, juice, chibs & tig! I cant wait for new season. I just started season 1, AGAIN!

Comment by Shirley – June 30, 2012 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Clay to kill everyone lol just sayin

Comment by Ralph Parrish – July 2, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting comments, but no, I don’t see the show being about Jax, but about the way those women influence those men. Gemma is a Don Corleone with long hair. Btw, she is meaner than him. Now, Tara will play Jax the same way Gemma did with John, Clay and Unser.

Comment by John Blade – July 7, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please kill off Tara, she is just too bland! and its always irritated me how she can be the lovin doctor/surgeon but then help to kill and beat on people!

Comment by Jo – July 9, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want season 5 to start! Love the show

Comment by Nancy – July 9, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so when is the next season starting???????

Comment by sarah – July 14, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People, chill out or grow up. You don’t need to have the same opinions on the series. Do you like it? That’s all that matters. Each one of you filters the show through his/her own personal experience. Opinions ought to be different. An accountant from Manchester UK will see a different show from an HD owner in Qatar. You wouldn’t think, I suppose, it’s only broadcasted in the US, would you?
    So enjoy a good ( though not so realistic) show!!! and stop bitchin’ like freakin’ teens.

Comment by Bluewolf – July 18, 2012 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for the Season5! I have been re-watching all of the Season’s late at night once a week. I have grown obsessed with the show. Personally, it is a show worth viewing,real life events,etc. are written in. Cudos to Mr. Sutter aka Otto. In my opinion the character that has lost the most and is owed the most is Opie! I think we will be surprised to find out what he has in store for the MC. Tigg is hilarious! I love his personality and it will be interesting to find out how is relationship goes with the MC. Chibs is awesome. I read somewhere once that his scar is real, its called the “the glascow smile”. He was in a real gang over in Ireland.???? I believe its what was done to Jimmy at his demise,(waiting for that one to air yet to verify) they are up to Season 3 so far. All of the characters have strong acting backgrounds, they are TRUE professionals. I truly enjoy the show and really would love to Thank all of the cast for my new obsessed habit!!! Keep it coming…..

Comment by Kelly – July 20, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post