Emmys

Spoiler Alert!: The Best Drama Emmy Goes to…

Mad Men Season 5In this special “Emmy Drama Preview” episode of Spoiler Alert!, the indefatigable Matt Mitovich and I don’t just reveal which show ought to (and, were we betting men, we’d wager will) end Mad Men’s winning streak.

It’s Breaking Bad, by the way. Or Homeland.

We also size up the chances of acting contenders ranging from the sure things (Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito and Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks) to the long shots (Once Upon a Time’s Robert Carlyle, for instance, and Scandal’s Kerry Washington).

One more thing: Be sure to stay tuned for the closing credits. They are, if I do say so myself, particularly gripping this week.

1. skilman says:

For those of you who don’t have the time to watch the video at work. They said Fringe would and should win the Emmy this year.

2. JeniLee says:

WHat are the months for Emmy contention? I dont understand how Mad Men didnt air for a year and a half yet didnt miss a year of Emmy contention? Can someone shed some light here?

• Gertrude says:

I don’t know the exact dates but I would guess Mad Men was at the beginning of the 2010-2011 eligibility period and at the end of the 2011-2012 period.

• Ashley says:

I believe contention is June 1, 2011 – May 31, 2012. And if the same goes for the previous year, well it was on in summer 2010, so… yeah. I’m sure Matt and AMC were well aware of Emmy deadlines when choosing Season 5’s air dates.

3. Kaa says:

I liked this season of Fringe quite a bit; but Fringe really deserved the Emmy LAST season. However, in the grand tradition of Emmys rewarding shows and people a season or two later than they should have, I say, Go Fringe.

4. i love john noble but this definitely wasn’t his strongest season, that belonged to josh, this was definitely josh’s season. if not josh then Anna of course. but the entire cast of Fringe is amazing and the whole show should win an emmy

• Finally, someone said that Josh Jackson deserves a look. Yes, he does. Just because Peter Bishop does not have an alternate, doesn’t mean that his moments aren’t as spectacular. I really liked this season, especially the last half. Some of the most powerful series moments were in Welcome to Westfield, End of All Things, Letters of Transit and Worlds Apart. It’ll never happen, but Fringe deserves some Emmy love.

5. Breaking Bad deserves the Emmy this year. Season 4 was an extraordinary feat of storytelling. It was the first year without any standalone episodes (or at least far fewer). Everything tied back to the major throughline — Gus vs. Walter. I’m excited to see how they top it.

6. RichieOnTV says:

Sandra Oh really deserves an Emmy nomination this year! If I had my way, the Supporting Actress category would look something like this:

Lena Headey (Game Of Thrones)
    Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
    Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
    Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) – Winner
    Sandra Oh (Grey’s Anatomy)
    Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey)

7. Goku says:

I don’t understand why people hate Megan so much. I love her! And what she did wasn’t evil, it was just clever.
    Moreover, I think it was the best Mad Men season so far!

• Lee says:

Megan played a good gold digger but other than that–her character was boring and useless. She did nothing to further the storyline.

8. Adam says:

I know some are rating Mad Men’s latest season as a series low, but I do think that episodes “Far Away Places” and “The Other Woman” were two of the best episodes the show has done (last year’s “The Suitcase” is the top, but these two are in the top 5). I think it is still deserving of the Emmy, not that there aren’t other deserving shows.

9. Rob R says:

The Emmy eligibility period is June 1 to May 31 of each year, which is why “Mad Men” did not miss a year. It aired at the beginning of the Emmy eligibility period for 2011 and at the end of the Emmy eligibility period for 2012.

10. Ashley says:

Honestly, Breaking Bad would deserve it if they did win, because Season 4 was excellent. But somehow, it’s still not my favorite show. (Probably because I’m scared to death for 99% of every episode lol.) Mad Men, as a whole, is flawless to me, and Season 5 was no different. I’m hoping that airing so closely to Emmy voting works in their favor, because I’ll be a little sad if they don’t win again. Which is ridiculous, I know, but I can’t help it!

• Tom Mc says:

I agree, this season has been as good as the others, the show is amazing. When I see someone saying season five has been “weak” or not as good as the first four I wonder what show they have been watching. As for Breaking Bad, I love it as well and would not mind it winning best drama this year, but Jon Hamm and Elizabeth Moss are both way overdue for a win.

11. Fiona Shaw for Best Supporting Actress please!

12. AJ says:

I agree Breaking Bad and Bryan Cranston both are going to be tough to beat. I could get on board with Katy Segal getting an Emmy as well.

13. RachelA says:

The only person I am desperate to get a nomination is Max Adler for his guest role on Glee in “On My Way.” He did a stunning job in that episode (and has throughout the whole time he’s had a significant recurring role on glee) But I’m terrified he won’t get it because Glee is in the Comedy category and his work is always quite dramatic and serious. I’m just so desperate for him to get some broader recognition for the radically under-appreciated work he’s done there, especially considering how the writers erased his character completely and inexplicably after that.

14. Adrienne says:

I feel like I’ve been yelling all season at the TV/Matthew Weiner “Stop trying to make Megan happen! It’s not going to happen!” And I still feel that way. Maybe he finally heard us.

15. kerry says:

My favorite is still Revenge

16. MJ says:

I never thought I hated Megan but when Ausiello suggested she might get a nomination over Elisabeth Moss I felt this huge rage inside me…. if that happens I will definitely riot!
    I don’t think Mad Men will win this year, I think it’ll go to either Breaking Bad or Homeland.

17. Word Money G says:

Not only should the show still win the Emmy, but Jessica Pare should get an Emmy nod.

She was great, and I simply cannot understand why all the hatred.

18. Danielle H says:

Lol @ the credits.. btw what the heck where those wires behind Matt outside? I was so distracted.. window washers a few stories down????

19. JP says:

An Emmy drama discussion with no mention of Game of Thrones? For shame.

20. Jake says:

You want to talk about a series that is so well written, so well acted and just firing on all cylinders– it’s got to be revenge.
    I’m so sick of mad men winning every award in sight– it’s become as bad as idols Joshua ledets standing ovations. We get it academy, you LOVE mad men but move on.

• ashok0 says:

AGREED!!!! Revenge was WAAAAY better than Mad Men this year.

• greysfan says:

Agreed. Revenge was awesome this year and i really hope it gets in the noms. I am not a fan of Mad Men. Its one of the few cable dramas that gets recognised all the damn time that i just can’t get into.

21. ashok0 says:

I really dont get how on earth Mad Men is remotely considered Best Drama worthy. The trailers for Homeland, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones had more plot development that the entire season of Mad Men this year.

• Manuel says:

That’s is just a ridiculous accusation.

BEWARE OF SPOILERS:
      Don’s last shot at having a happy marriage collapsing, Peggy (Don’s star copywriter and fans’ favorite) leaving SCDP, Joan leaving her douchebag husband and ascension to partnership, Roger’s LSD induced enlightment and subsequent divorce from Jane, Pete’s affair and developing career, Sally become a young woman and Lane’s death!
      SPOILERS OVER

Mad Men may not be your absolute favorite, but if you say “you don’t get how Mad Men is remotely considered Best Drama worthy” you either haven’t actually watched the series or you have very poor taste.

22. Mark says:

I love Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Fringe, but have either of these guys heard of “Game of Thrones?” HBO on Sunday nights?

23. Elaine says:

Dream Best Drama Noms: Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, and Damages

(since I’ve never seen Breaking Bad I can’t include it, but it’s pretty obvious I’d better darn well start watching it because it sounds pretty amazing.) I’d include Luther in the 5 nominees, but …… would it count as a miniseries since season 2 was only 4 episodes? Or would it even be eligible re: time frame?

Anyway, some fantastic TV out there…. thank you very much cable networks.

• Elaine says:

You guys are right. I just included Mad Men because I felt I had for some reason, but really, it’s not top 5 material this year. I didn’t miss and episode but I never felt that “I GOTTA WATCH THAT!!!!!” feeling that I had with Game of Thrones or Sons of Anarchy or the others. I certainly don’t think it deserves to win by any stretch of the imagination.

What do I think should win? Game of Thrones hands down. I think this is the only year it will have a chance to win because starting next season there will be more magic and not a chance in hell the old fogies at the Emmys will give a Best Drama award to a show featuring magic/fantasy. Not. A. Chance. In. Hell.

24. Britta Unfiltered says:

hahahahahaha, those closing credits had me crying with laughter at my desk. I am also scared Jessica Pare might get a nomination over Elisabeth Moss, but I think there is a distinct possibility they could both get it. It’s probably going to come down to how badly they want to nominate Katey Sagal. Jessica Pare might actually steal a spot from her. And I’m not saying I’m cool with it. I hate Sons of Anarchy with a fire that burns deep inside me, but Katey has created quite an interesting character and I think she deserves a nom. But I still think Claire Danes deserves the win. And I really think Homeland is going to snag that best drama win, but Breaking Bad was really good too. I agree it was their best season to date. And I believe Giancarlo Esposito is getting that supporting actor win over Slattery. I just can’t see it going to Slattery. I love caddish Roger, but I felt like I barely saw him this season on Mad Men. It would be cool if Slattery could win for directing one of the Mad Men episodes that he did. Christina Hendricks is totally getting that Emmy.
    And speaking of Mad Men, that was a pretty good discussion on the show. I agreed with a lot of what you had to say about it. Though I actually liked the finale. It was melancholy with a dash of hope. I don’t think this is Jon Hamm’s year for an Emmy either. His storyline just wasn’t meaty enough, you are right on that account. I was seriously all convinced for awhile that Kelsey Grammar was getting the best actor win, and he’s still got a chance, but it will probably go to Cranston.

• Carmen says:

“I hate Sons of Anarchy with a fire that burns deep inside me.” Yo, relax, we get it. But I’m glad you bias about the show doesn’t blind you to the awesomeness that is Katey as Gemma Teller.

25. Lyn says:

Timothy Olyphant and “Justified” — terrific actor, terrific drama and neither gets much recognition! I know people love “Breaking Bad,” but I just can’t root for a guy who has turned so madly murderous.

26. anna says:

Breaking Bad has to win this year!! If Mad Men wins yet again I will scream.

Hendricks def. has the best shot of any MM actor to win but since none of them have won so far I’m not betting on it.

27. sunshine says:

Retta should be invited to guest every episode

28. Carmen says:

Ah, man, I really just want Katey Sagal to get an Emmy nomination so bad.

29. Don’t get which show gets it, as long as Claire Danes gets it for best actress. I haven’t cared about CABLE BOUGHT Emmys for years, but goddammit, Danes NEEDS to win it. She’s absolutely fantastic in Homeland.

30. Megan says:

season 4 WAS Maggie Siff’s best yet. If she doesn’t get nominated, I give up watching these things.

31. sam says:

I know that you know that emmy voters do have to watch the episodes so even though it’s not fresh in emmy voters mind, it shouldn’t matter. Cable anyways should have their own category.

I agree, i’m totally sick of the same people winning every year.

and truthfully, if kerry washington is gonna get nominated(she’s awesome) it’s gotta be this year, the emmys have never been one to jump on the bandwagon later on and once they have stopped nominated you, they rarely go back and nominate you again no matter how deserving.

32. c says:

I agree with you about the Mad Men ending being contrived. He’s going to cheat on her just because he got her an acting gig? Though I do hope there is less Megan next season. The writers have created this huge backlash against her because they put her in every episode. I really miss Betty. I wish the writers would get over their hatred for January Jones.

33. Matt says:

I think Sons of Anarchy should win Best Dramatic Series this year. I think that because it is easily one of the top five shows on TV, it hasn’t won yet, and season 4 was absolutely amazing. It would be a shame for Sons of Anarchy to go its entire run without recognition.

I was a little surprised Game of Thrones didn’t even get mentioned in the conversation, that is the single best show on TV right now. It will not win best dramatic series this year, competition is a little too intense, but its too good a show to NOT win the emmy at least once in its run. Dinklage to took home the emmy for best supporting actor in a dramatic series last year ought to have a real shot at winning again this year. His performance, particularly in the finale, was truly astounding.

34. tvaddict says:

I guess I’m a lone voice, but I’ve never liked Mad Men anyway. When it got all these accolades, I tried again but I find it boring, arrogant, uninspiring, no likeable characters, no one to care about, and generally dull as dishwater. Can;’t wait til its not renewed

• sam says:

I have to agree, it’s not that great to win 4 emmys in a row not in the field of shows like the good wife.

35. greysfan says:

As i said before while cable and broadcast dramas are competing against each other the cable dramas will always win. This is the year of Homeland. I would love to see Once Upon a Time and Revenge in there but i seriously doubt it. If they make it then kudos to them but like i said a big big if. They should just split it and its time the networks put an end to cable domination. Time to get the broadcast shows and their actors recognised.

• Matt says:

I agree with your assertion that cable/premium channels and broadcast channels have become generally divided into two separate categories. It has to do with the types of programming that is offered. A show like The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, or Game of Thrones never would have survived, much less thrived on any of the big broadcast networks. Ratings expectations are too high, and their business model is archaic. It’s a different environment, even the seasons are a different length – if a broadcast show has a 12 episode season, it’s probably in trouble.

It is not true however that broadcast networks have been completely ignored by the emmys. Though he didn’t win, Hugh Laurie was nominated several times for Best Actor in a Dramatic Series, and in 2006, Keifer Sutherland won best actor and 24 won best dramatic series. I agree that it is rare though. It’s sad, but the reality is that broadcast network programming is not as good as premium/cable programming. That’s why, once Fringe is over, I’m completely done with the broadcast networks.

36. lydiakj says:

Man I really want Homeland to win. The intricacy and depth of the plot really blew me away, as did the two leads’ performances. I might even prefer Damian Lewis to Bryan Cranston but it’s a toss up, really.

37. sherry says:

Once Upon a Time’s Robert Carlyle should get a Emmy.

• lydia says:

yes he should. He is playing an extremely difficult part superbly. He actually makes it work and I often sit and wonder what another actor would have done… no way would anyone else have been able to play those roles. Isn’t that what winning an Emmy is about? Playing a part so well that nobody else on the planet could do it?

38. Jen R says:

Ha Ha Loved the end. I agree with the too much Megan sentiment. She completely took me out of this season.I did not wait two years for The Megan Show. Her story could have been told with a lot less screentime. If Pare gets a nod over Moss I will lead the riot.

39. Alexis says:

I agree with all Matt and Michael’s sentiments in this discussion, except that this was Sons of Anarchy’s best season. It started off so strongly and then the writing got way ahead of itself about halfway through. That said, the performances were still incredible! Katey Segal is so overdue its a joke.
    They also talked about Mad Men doing well at the Emmys because their show is airing right around the time the voters are marking their ballots, but keep in mind that Breaking Bad’s latest season will be premiering at the time of the second round of voting so it will also be very fresh in the mind of voters, even though its not the season being considered this year.
    Breaking Bad FTW!

40. Jeremy says:

How was Game of Thrones not even mentioned in this?

41. Pat says:

Where is The Mentalist and Simon Baker. He is sharp, unique and perfect for the part. I find it hard to imagine that many don’t feel the way I do. Great Entertainment.

42. sandy holl says:

The best drama is BONES” ,withemily deschanel and david Boreanaz as best actress and actor ! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT AT ALL!!!