Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Supporting Comedy Actor Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

Expect the men of Modern Family to once again take up four slots in this year’s Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series battle, leaving just two openings. We’re betting Parks and Recreation’s long overlooked Nick Offerman will snag one of ‘em, while Community’s Danny Pudi and New Girl‘s Max Greenfield could duke it out for the sixth. We’ll find out who’s in the running when the nominations are announced July 19.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy ActressSupporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Wednesday as we tackle the Supporting Comedy Actress race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys

1. Britta Unfiltered says:

Hey TVLine, maybe I suck at math, but I am only seeing 5 dream nominees chosen by you guys? I will choose to believe your 6th choice was a tie between Donald Glover and Nick Offerman.

2. Britta Unfiltered says:

This is always a tough category. My choices are going to be a little different. Off the top of my head, some people I don’t see on your list that I think are wonderful are Dule Hill from Psych, that scene-stealing John Benjamin Hickey from The Big C that plays Kathy’s brother, and my oddest choice yet…the dude that plays Rafi (Jason Mantzoukas) on The League. He and Brie Larson were hilarious together on that show. And it takes a special kind of talent to make creepy and scary be laugh out loud funny. But you’re right in believing none of these people are even on the Emmy radar. So out of your choices, my 6 picks would be…and please take note I am boycotting all Modern Family cast members this year as I have voter fatigue and anger problems over that show hogging so many spots…
    1. Aziz Ansari
    2. Donald Glover
    3. Nick Offerman
    4. Danny Pudi
    5. Jim Rash
    6. Damon Wayans Jr.
    And I would like to see Danny Pudi pull off the win.
    Now what’s really going to happen is it will be: Ed O’Neil, Ty Burrell, Eric Stonestreet, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, and I think the remaining two spots will be snagged by Danny Pudi and Damon Wayans Jr.

3. Ava says:

When are they going to add a “Best Ensemble” category? A lot of comedies are ensemble comedies now and a lot of really great actors get screwed because everyone is submitting as supporting.

4. jess says:

ugh this was probably the hardest of the polls so far. So many funny dudes. i’m especially cheering/praying for Simon Helberg and Nick Offerman. Please!!!

5. Amy says:

Ugh, that was too hard to figure out who to vote for. So many good ones! The two I want to see nominated the most: Max Greenfield and Nick Offerman. They are just so, so, so good and regularly steal the show. But if a Modern Family guy has to win (and they will) I choose Ed O’Neill. As much as I love, love Ty Burell, O’Neill was even better.

6. stefanjames says:

Wow, none of the Parks and Rec guys are on your dream list? And the overrated crapfest called Community gets two dream noms? I can’t wait for it to die on Fridays in the fall. The obsession this website has with that show is unhealthy. Too bad Cougar Town got saved by TBS. Another show that is not nor has ever been funny and yet has always had TV site buffoons salivating over it.

Anyway, this is Offerman’s year. I’m so sick of the Modern Family actors and the one-dimensional characters they all play hogging all the awards.

Also, in what world does Damon Wayans Jr. have advantage over Adam Pally? If anyone gets a nom from the guys it’ll be Pally. For the girls, I’d say Casey Williams has the best chance although it should be Eliza Coupe or maybe even Elisha Cuthbert who gets nominated. Max Greenfield’s Schmidt is utter schidt! Not funny in the least. And Zooey Deschanel is now “a lock” for a nomination? Really?!? Wow…

7. Alex says:

In my opinion, supporting actor in comedy is THE most crowded Emmy category. Would like to see Ed O’Neill win this year because two different Modern Family men won for teh past 2 years.

8. Angela says:

Crap, I loved Donald Glover, Danny Pudi, and Jim Rash on “Community” this season (as well as seasons previous). They all had brilliant moments. So I just put in a vote for all of them-let the Emmy people have the difficult job of narrowing it down to one :D.

9. The work Danny Pudi does with Abed’s character is nothing short of amazing. He deserves the nomination and the win. Jim Rash is my second choice, his performance in Documentary Filmmaking Redux was unbelieveably good. As much as I enjoy Modern Family I don’t think any of the cast were particularly outstanding this season, but they’re obviously going to get moninations because the Emmy nomination crowd are morons who seem to only watch 3 shows.

10. Julia says:

The Emmys didn’t give a f*** about Chris Colfer mostly having dramatic material the last two times either, so that’s not a good argument against him getting a nod again. What definitely are arguments against it: the terrible writing of Glee and Colfer having to act opposite the very average and very boring and often very hammy Darren Criss, both of which made it impossible for him to shine. Also: not many and not very meaningful scenes with Mike O’Malley, very few Kurt/Dave scenes, no good Kurt/Finn scenes and having to act as a mere prop to Rachel’s storyline – of course it doesn’t look good for Chris. He belongs on projects that actually appreciate his talent as an actor and Glee clearly doesn’t care about that. What a waste, what a shame.

11. Rocío says:

Chris Colfer is the best! he deserves to win! is a great actor, one of the best and certainly younger. Chris has to be the winner!

12. Where’s Adam Scott for his performance as Ben Wyatt on Parks and Recreation? Everything he did this season was gold. How many other men on TV quit their jobs for their dream woman AND have an emotional breakdown while dressed as Batman? I love Ron Swanson and Andy Dwyer, but Ben Wyatt stole the show this year.

13. The Emmy is for best supporting actor in a comedy series; MEANING the series is a comedy. The actor’s performance shouldn’t have to be. Chris Colfer should win an Emmy.

14. Xavier says:

Uhhhhh why isn’t Darren Criss from Glee on there???!?! He should be on here!! He is amazing!!

• Marcus says:

You’re kidding, right?

• Here with Stupid says:

I am sorry to tell you this, but in the land of the Emmy’s, there is no way Darren Criss could ever win, let alone be nominated. Reasons? He may be a good singer/dancer but his popularity will never expand to reach the tastes of Old School Emmy voters. He will probably never receive any awards or nominations in these sort of award shows and categories, but there have been plenty of actors who have experienced and lived satisfying careers never having won or been nominated for anything. Don’t aim for the stars kid, keep yourself grounded.

15. mémé says:

Chris colfer best actor
    the best it’s all ♥

16. Here with Stupid says:

Nick Offerman, ‘Parks and Recreation’ – lets be honest the man has been consistent for the last two seasons and has changed the way we view the “straight men” in comedies [meaning its no longer the clowns that are the funny ones], Ty Burrell, ‘Modern Family’ only true funny man on that show who continues to get A-grade material, Danny Pudi, Jim Rash, Donald Glover ‘Community in an awards category which aims to crown “clowns” these men are all well deserving of the title, consistently funny men [they are well deserving of recognition] and one of them should win, and lastly Chris Colfer, ‘Glee’ say what you will, he’s not the funny man and should not be in this category considering he is more of a dramatic actor, but an incredible actor nonetheless. Do I believe he should win? Not on your life [or at least here] but does he deserve recognition for remaining the only true leading actor with talent in a horribly written show? Yes. I have no doubt we will see him on a ballot in the future in the Drama category where he will most likely win. Until then, these are what I believe are the most deserving.

17. marcus says:

btw, actually the drama with rachel and finn ruined the show. they lost audience. and beside actress like jane and dot, chris is true deal. is the best male actor on the show. i’m not saying that he should win but he deserve a nomination everyone can see that every scene with him in it, is mindblowing.

18. ellie says:

the category is Supporting Comedy Actor. so yeah chris should at least get nominated. and yes, comedy or not Chris Colfer outshines everyone in everyscene. is a true talent

19. Mrs. Chris Colfer says:

Chris Colfer really deserves this nomination. He is a great acter and he really takes Glee to another level. Besides that he has changed SO many lives, he has literally changed the world. (Don’t argue, he has been in TIMES which means he is one of thee 100 most influential people in the world). And I know this nomination should be about talent, of which Chris has plenty. Therefor, everyone with just a bit of respect for himself should vote for Chris. Simply because he deserves all your votes!

20. Alex says:

I like Glee, and Chris Colfer was amazing this season, but the show is becoming SO unrealistic. Pretty much all of the dialogue was unbearable (Except for maybe ” That’s how my abuela puts me to sleep at night, and she was not a nice lady. Did you know she tried to sell me once? And it wasn’t until I got to kindergarten that I learned my name wasn’t Garbage Face.”) But Chris Colfer, he is definitely an amazing actor, but his best scenes were to dramatic. Same with Naya Rivera, and they’re what keeps me watching glee.