Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Supporting Comedy Actor Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

Expect the men of Modern Family to once again take up four slots in this year’s Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series battle, leaving just two openings. We’re betting Parks and Recreation’s long overlooked Nick Offerman will snag one of ‘em, while Community’s Danny Pudi and New Girl‘s Max Greenfield could duke it out for the sixth. We’ll find out who’s in the running when the nominations are announced July 19.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy ActressSupporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Wednesday as we tackle the Supporting Comedy Actress race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys

1. Lucas says:

“Tony Hale, ‘Arrested Development'” But he’s not eligible this year.

2. Alexis says:

I’m REALLY hoping the entire male adult Modern family cast don’t simply get a pass again this year. Only Ty Burrell should get a nomination this year.
    Would love to see some Community guys, Max Greenfield and Nick Offerman get some Emmy love!

• DL says:

Disagree. I think Ed O’Neill deserves a nom as well. His episode where he dances with Lily was so heartwarming and well done.

Also, my favorite moment of the ENTIRE season was from the Disneyland episode when he told the story of how he decided to stay and be a father to Claire and Mitchell… and then Gloria yells down about the hot tub and with a smile he says, “And the universe rewarded me.” I was laughing so hard, but it was also just such a personal moment for his character that shined a light on who he is and what he believes in.

3. Russel says:

Chris Colfer is not getting an Emmy nomination this year and rightfully so.

• bamabunny says:

Correction, Glee is not getting any Emmy nominations this year and rightly so.

(I actually loved Chris’ work this year, but it’s not comedy)

• Russel says:

Except this is the “Supporting Actor” section, so my comment still stands. I don’t care how much you loved his work, he’s not getting one, rightfully so.

• Katzzz says:

Chris deserves this nomination, not win because Glee overall has gotten unwatchable (what are writers thinking??!) for me, I only liked Kurt and Klaine parts, but they can’t be compared to S1-2, mainly because there wasn’t enough of him, he was just props to Rachel. Next season I heard he won’t be on much, so I hope at least he gets this nomination, and only him. Maybe glee writers and FOX learn something (hello glee lost like 4-5 million viewers this season?
          I’m not here for Rachel Berry featuring Finchel Show

• Russel says:

Your argument is ironic considering kurt/klaine and the all they gay drama from s2 is what killed this show. The Rachel/Finchel show was the best this show ever was s1. He’s not getting the nomination, try not to cry when it happens. Freaks like you are way too invested in this show.

• Ally says:

Chris Colfer deserves an Emmy but once again, not for the comedy category. This past season of Glee was 100% better than Season2.

• tonystark says:

wtf??? The whole season was about Finchel.

Episodes centered around Klaine: TFT and DWS.

• Brit says:

Well, aren’t you just a ball of sunshine… Colfer shouldn’t be nominated because too much of the script was drama, but that’s a bummer because he’s a brilliant actor and if he had more comedy moments I think he would definitely earn a nomination.

• Marie says:

Chris Colfer’s work was amazing, however Glee has lost it’s focus, the storylines are nonsense, so I think the plot is lost. Great cast, bad show

• Noonie says:

To make it clear what you just said: “Colfer shouldn’t be nominated” > “because he’s a brilliant actor”, “too much of the script was drama” > “if he had more comedy moments I think he would definitely earn a nomination”. You have basically just admitted that yes, the show is nowadays less comedy than other options, but no, that is not Colfer’s fault. Many of the scripted lines that Kurt did have were, yes, dramatic and not very “gleeful”, but some of them were. Let us not forget the actual start of the season, some of the minor lines and his performance in general, in a so-called “comedy show” (which even I can agree on has lost its touch). Colfer has basically no say whatsoever about his lines, therefore you all should put the blame on the writers. Colfer’s performance however was outstanding, says I who always is very critical. No, perhaps he was not the greatest, and I have by no means watched all of the other shows (just a few) but keep in mind that Colfer’s acting was, at least in my opinion, one of the better ones in the show, and did have a few comedy moments. Yes, he should be nominated, at the very least. He does not have to win, though.

• Claire says:

Chris was not given very good material this year, and I will understand if he is not nominated this time. Good scripts are important. The fact that he is consistently better than his material doesn’t change that. Possibly, if Glee gets no nominations at all, the writers will sit down and think about what they’ve done here. However, I think it is possible to be a little more tactufl in the way you approach discussing this particular situation.

• Glee is a comedy show right but Chris Colfer is an actor talented in anyway like comedian, drama or singer, this year show us his different faces, this nomination he deserves for a magnifican scene in Choke, Goodbye or Whitney tribute.

• David says:

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet portray multi-layered gay characters. Chris Colfer plays a stereotype one-dimensional gay character. And this season his sad sack character seemed to drag down every scene he was in. No, he should not get a nomination this year,

• Sean C. says:

Colfer brings quite a bit of dimension to his character (more than most on the show get, though he gets a lot of favours from the writing), but the quality level on Glee has gotten so poor by this point that he really shouldn’t be nominated, despite his effort.

• RB says:

@David Hello Kerrie!!!! I see you’re spamming your Chris hate again. You saying constantly that you think Chris is a bad actor is not going to make it true. Chris is the best actor on the show. Glee itself was extremely badly written this season, but Chris, Mike, Cory, Lea, and Max all managed to make the most of what they were given, especially Chris. You say he dragged down every scene he was in, yet the critics praised his performances in every scene he was in, and in many they felt that his performances of particular scenes were EMMY worthy. He is a phenomenally talented actor and you, Kerrie, need to get professional help. Your hate obsession with Chris is really eating you up.

• Mariana says:

I agree, but only because I don’t think anything from Glee should be nominated this year. Chris Colfer’s work was as great as ever but all the storylines and dialogues were stupider than ever on the show (that’s seriously saying something

• Erik says:

Chris Colfer is a great actor. Unfortunately, he’s on the wrong show. It is not his fault that Glee writers are incompetent.

4. Emre says:

Schmidty!

5. sasha says:

Where Cougar Town’s guys? Guys of Community are great!

6. T says:

Jim Rash and/or Danny Pudi should definitely be nominated.

7. Alexis says:

Wait a minute, how in the name of all that is holy is Jeremy Piven still eligible?! Or even part of the Emmy conversation for that matter?

8. Chrissy says:

You should probably change Tony Hale from ‘Arrested Development’ to ‘Veep’, even though he will forever be known to me as Buster:)
    Here’s to hoping Parks & Rec gets some love this year!

9. mehdi0204 says:

All the guys from Parks And Rec & Happy Endings + Chris Colfer.
    I’m not here for all the Modern Family love.

10. PCT says:

Damon Wayans Jr. NEEDS to be nominated this year.

11. Ashley says:

So many funny men on TV! I could only pick Ty Burrell from Modern Family. The rest of them… eh. I love Max Greenfield, he’s the reason I watch New Girl, so I would love to see him get a nod. I’ll also root for Aziz Ansari, Jack McBrayer, Bill Hader and Damon Wayan’s Jr., but… Nick Offerman should just win everything in all of life.

12. Kevin says:

Cory Monteith should replace Chris Colfer on this list.

• Katzzz says:

but isn’t he like male lead?, even if he is supportive character Chris Colfer outshines him in every scene.
      sry but I don’t buy Cory acting at all. he is just so boring.

• Sean C. says:

He really is the male lead, but he submits supporting; the show continues the silly notion that Matthew Morrison is the male lead, even though that hasn’t been true since the first half of season one.

• Stephanie says:

Contrary to popular belief, Matthew IS the male lead of Glee, the whole story of the series centered around his character (a teacher reviving the glee club and helping to make it what it once was)

• Sean C. says:

That’s only in theory. In practice his role in most episodes is “whiteboard guy”. Finn and Kurt both get more to do than him.

• Sam says:

The character is literally the straigtman to many of the flamboyant characters, but watch him react in the finale scenes. He is so subtle but really conveys emotional depth.

• Masie says:

Cory is a good actor and one of the strongest on the show, but I agree, Chris Colfer outshines him in every scene they’re in together. Mind you, Chris is a standout on that show and shines in every scene he’s in, but Cory, although he’s not as good an actor as Chris Colfer, he is certainly a great actor and will hopefully get a lot of work once he leaves the show.

• gn says:

Many critics noted that it was Cory Monteith rather than Chris that stood out in the finale scene opening letters from colleges. As the character Ryan Murphy identifies with, Kurt is usually given meatier material but in the nuanced moments of the finale like that mentioned, the reaction shots during Shue’s song and of course the knock-out parting scenes, Monteith showed that given material where he is not just servicing other characters storylines he is a powerful actor.

• Jonathan Roberts says:

@ gn Well, I don’t know which critics you were reading, but none of the ones I read said that. They spoke about the final scene between Finn and Rachel, But in the letter scene, all three were praised especially Chris and Cory, but no one said Cory was best in that scene.The final scene was great from Cory, however, but not EMMY standard by either Cory or Lea.

• Sg says:

Agreed. How can TV line say Lea Michele should get a nom as much for the train station parting scene but not Cory Monteith who was outstanding. And that is not the first time this season, there was finding out about his father and when Will confronted him about his future. He brings such emotion and depth to what could otherwise be a two dimensional character.

13. MARIAPOMPEO says:

I would be most happy if Donald Glover or Jim Rash get a nod

14. m says:

Bill Hader!!! <3

15. Larissa says:

Bill Hader all the way! I hope he gets the recognition he so deserves.

• ElKabong says:

I also hope he gets the recognition he deserves, which in this field, would mean he doesn’t get nominated.

16. Adam says:

I like Charlie Day. Its would be great to see him get nominated.

17. Jen says:

Max Greenfield!

18. bamabunny says:

I’m sort of tired of the Modern Family juggernaut every year and hope the Emmy folks get tired of them soon. But we all know the Emmys do the same roll out every year because they are lazy. I personally would like to see the guys from Parks and Rec, Community and New Girl get some Emmy love (and Chris Colfer but his material was too dramatic), but it will probably be the Modern Family guys plus NPH (to replace Jon Cryer who is now in the lead actor category) and Tony Hale just to give HBO a nod.

19. DL says:

Damon Wayans, Jr. all the way! Dream noms would be DWJ, Max Greenfield, Ty Burrell, Ed O’Neill, and the last two open from whoever (I don’t watch Parks & Rec or Community… I know, I know, blasphemy!).

20. WayneInNYC says:

Max Greenfield FTW!

21. Leo says:

Why do people say they are tired of the recognition of the men of Modern Family? The 4 men were amazing and hilarious this year they had excellent moments and they must be nominated again! And of course Nick Offerman and I’m between Jim Rash or Dani Pudi!

• tripoli says:

While it’s true they all have their moments, they don’t all have enough of them to warrant continued nominations. Ty Burrell is the absolute stand out and I’d have to say that Ed O’ Neill has really stepped it up and also deserves a nod. Ferguson and Stonestreet are good but not more so than a number of others who should get the nomination.

22. Polly says:

Schmidt for the win!

23. Leo says:

Oops I wrote Danny Pudi’s name wrong! My mistake! xD

24. Cassandra says:

Chris Colfer one of the greatest revelation of the last few years but i have to agree with the “Contro”. Glee is NOT a comedy :/

I hope he will drop this stupid show ASAP.Glee is done,sadly :(

25. Talmidge Mcgulliger says:

Shouldn’t Rain Wilson be in the best leading catagory for this season?

26. Theresa says:

It’s hard to narrow it to six in this category but Nick Offerman better be nominated.

27. ted says:

I hope that New Girl’s Jake Johnson gets a much deserved nod.

28. Suzie says:

I’m stunned to realize that the only show on this list that I watch is TBBT. I consider myself a comedy fan, but none of these shows appeal to me. Huh!

29. ggny says:

If Max Greenfield doesnt get a nom there is something wrong with the emmy people

• Jones says:

There is definitely something wrong with the Emmy people since the awesome John Noble (drama) has been overlooked for several years now. An abomination!

30. Courtney says:

Ideal winner would either be Jim Rash or Max Greenfield, both are absolutely hilarious.

31. denuse walsh says:

james van der beek is great in don’t trust the b in apt 23 all 3 actors are hillarious can’t wait for new episodes to start the beek from the creek love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Ashly says:

The actors of Parks & Rec and Community have been robbed of what is rightfully theirs. My personal faves are Donald Glover and Nick Offerman, but honestly I would be happy if anybody from the casts got some Emmy love.

• Dan says:

Bull, the Modern Family guys are more deserving and they get what is rightfully theirs.

• tripoli says:

We get it buddy. You think Modern Family is the second coming. It’s not. Yes, it’s a damn funny show but so are a bunch of other shows. And there are far more deserving actors in contention that should get the nomination over a couple of The Modern Family guys. Broaden your horizons a bit.

33. CJatl says:

What a crowded field this year. There are so many additional actors that could easily be included, and just about all of these potential nominees would worthy of winning.

With that said, JVDB is outstanding in his show. His scenes at the wedding and with the young lady from Mad Men were phenomenal.

Ed O’Neil in the two scenes previously mentioned (Dance and Reward) was awesome.

34. CJ says:

This is yet another crowded category! It is impossible for me to narrow my choices down to only six because I really feel that MOST of the guys on the list are worthy of making the cut.

• CJatl says:

How incredibly strange. You and I posted almost similar comments with very similar names at the exact same time. Anyone reading this will probably think it was a double-post, not two complete strangers who happened to do this.

35. Mel says:

Nick Offerman not having an Emmy is a freaking travesty. Aziz was great too in his romance with Rashida Jones. I like Max Greenfield (or, as I call him, “Leo”), but for me Jake Johnson steals The New Girl. He plays the neurotic straight man to Zooey’s zany lead so well.

• Harrison says:

Leo! from Veronica Mars!

• murley says:

he will always be deputy leo to me.

• Ryan says:

This.

Also someone just make Nick Offerman a wooden Emmy. He’d probably appreciate it more plus the emmy’s rarely get it right with nominations let alone winners (i do like modern family but IMO Eric or Ed deserved it last year over Ty).

Seriously though, him running from Tammy 1 in the premiere? Golden.

36. Karen says:

This is by far the most difficult category IMO. I ticked of six of the boxes here, but could have easily ticked off the double amount, and add: John Krasinski (The Office) and Jason Sehel (HIMYM)

37. Rose says:

I know its a complete long shot. But my dream nom is Adam Baldwin from Chuck, he stole the show.

38. Pat says:

This was tough. I dislike the foursome of Modern Family pretty much automatically taking up 4 slots when there is so much talent in this field.

Went with Ty Burrell, Don Glover, NPH, Nick Offerman, Adam Pally, and Dani Pudi.

39. Leah says:

All my votes went to Community and Parks. There are way too many deserving actors in this race. What does it take to get the nominations ballot up to around 10? As much as I love New Girl, Happy Endings, and Modern Family they can’t catch the love and respect I have for Community and Parks.

40. R says:

You only have 5 actors with the Dream Nominee icon on their page…who is your sixth??

41. chrisjroof says:

If Zooey is a lock, then why isn’t Greenfield? His character is the breakout star of the TV season, let alone their show.

42. Laa says:

As much as I love Nick Offerman, for this season, I’d say Chris Pratt is more worthy than any of the Parks & Rec men. This was his best season yet and his physical comedy is unparalleled. Andy made me laugh more than anyone else on TV this year. I’d love to see him get nominated.

43. Shaun says:

Smidt time!!Also give some love to Damon Wayans Jr….he’s very funny.

44. Brigid says:

What about Dule Hill?
    How about some Psych love?

45. cj says:

Tony Hale is so sweet on Veep. Of course he’s not going to get nominated, but the way his relationship with Selina went from her looking at him like a weirdo, to the person who knows what she wants even when she doesnt know what she wants (ice cream) was brilliant.

46. duke says:

community, happy endings, new girl and Ty

47. yankeesrj12 says:

The entire cast of Parks and Recreation and Simon Helberg. I love Modern Family, but its time for some new blood.

48. YowzaPowza says:

I’ll need an explanation for why Nick Offerman is not included in your dream nominees. Thanks.

49. Susi says:

Chris Colfer is an amazing actor, but I don’t think he should get nomination. His best performance in this season was the episode On My Way and it was drama, not comedy.

50. murley says:

max greenfield, donald glover, chris pratt and nick offerman are my top dream nominees. this category is full of great talent so narrowing down the last 2 spots is hard!