Scandal Shocker: Henry Ian Cusick Not Returning for Season 2, Joshua Malina Promoted

Olivia Pope’s Scandalteam is losing a member.

Henry Ian Cusick will not return to the ABC drama for Season 2, per The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | Shonda Rhimes Weighs In on Scandal Season 1, the Finale’s Killer Reveal and Fitz’s Future

The decision was reached mutually by the actor, who played Olivia’s womanizing right-hand man, and executive producer Shonda Rhimes; the two are said to have parted ways on amicable terms.

Cusick memorably guest starred in Fringe‘s 2036-set episode this past season, but was trapped in amber at the hour’s end. Might his Scandal exit open up a Fringe return? Back in April, the actor told TVLine that the “show is like Lost in that it can go any which way,” so the door is indeed open for an appearance in the Fox drama’s fifth and final season.

Meanwhile, TVGuide.com reports that Joshua Malina, who recurred in Season 1 as white hat-wearing U.S. Attorney David Rosen, has been promoted to series regular.

Thoughts on the Scandal shakeup? Will you miss the Lost alum? Are you happy to see more Malina? Hit the comments!

1. Vegas Guy says:

Wanna know what happened? Shondra screwed up the character. Originally a playboy who had relations with one of his coworkers (and everyone else) then they got him engaged.. then they realized they needed him to not be engaged but that was going to have everyone woman hating him sooo…..

Miss you Henry!

2. That’s too bad. His friendship with Olivia was one of my favorite aspects of the show.

• Dawn says:

I really thought that he had a good chemistry with Olivia. If you take a look at the scenes where she called him and he showed up at her house with the wine when she thought Amanda was pregnant and the scene where she was acting a little strange after she had the great kiss with the press in the oval office. I really like the scene where he told her, “you cannot have him”. The look on their faces in that scene was priceless.

3. Pamela says:

Hope he comes back to Fringe. He is a fantastic actor and was great on Fringe.

4. Lara says:

I wish they would have gotten rid of the red head. All she does is give snarky or longing looks or she has a stupid grin on her face. I did not care for her character at all!

5. Lost girl over there says:

Kerry Washington for Razzies Awards 2012! Worst actress ever.
    Glad Mr. Cusick left this crappy show. He deserves more, he deserves Fringe.

6. Tallulah says:

Really annoyed, I loved him and Abby, wanted to see more of those two. V happy Malina is up though, and looking forward to seeing Henry again on Fringe. I think it was hinted relatively heavily that he’ll be de-ambered and come back :D

7. J. Smith says:

I’m really amazed at how folks are carrying on about one particular character. I like the show and relaly don’t care who doesn’t think its a bad idea that I do. Its been said many times before, that stuff we see in movies and tv shows is actually stuff that’s happened at one point or another. Now granted, I’m quite sure stuff was embellished, however, it does make me see our government in another light. Trust me, I think our country is the best in this world, but we do some low down dirty thing that we always seem to point fingers at other countries as doing. Alot fo this material possibly could’ve played out like it was written. Get off of Ms. Rimes, if you don’t like it, how about you (haters) write and produce some scripts for us to watch.

8. Neicy H says:

I love Shonda Rhines! That said I was very disappointed that Stephen (Henry Ian Cusack) was written of the show.

9. TheDonald2U says:

I was sad to see Henry go but clearly the show only flourished without him. Can’t wait for October 3rd and the start of season three!!!