Idology: Jessica Sanchez on Short Skirts and Sabotage. Plus: 'I'm Not the Next Celine Dion'

If you’re going to describe Jessica Sanchez’s American Idol journey as a rollercoaster ride, make sure there’s a “you must be this tall” sign at the entrance.

There was her introduction to the Idoloonie Nation with a legendary group performance in Las Vegas and that buzzworthy Whitney Houston cover in Top 13 Week. There was her shock elimination at No. 7 (with subsequent need for the Judges’ Save) and not one, but two stunning renditions of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.”

VIDEO | Idology: Hollie Cavanagh on Diva Ballads, Deadly Heels and Why She Initially Hated ‘Bleeding Love’

Now, Jessica caps off her Idol experience with an unfiltered, often surprising, two-part Idology interview. The Season 11 runner-up tells us what thought initially sprang to mind when Jennifer Lopez grabbed the mic out of her hands on Top 7 results night, which performance had her working overtime to get her vibrato in check, and what she would’ve done differently during her Top 4 performance of “And I Am Telling You…” Plus, she explains why she didn’t care whether the judges praised her for being an “artist” after her rearrangement of Beyoncé’s “Sweet Dreams,” weighs in on the idea that she was sabotaged by unfortunate song choices during Top 3 Week, and tells why she’s not planning to follow in Celine Dion’s footsteps. Oh, and we even talk about her stint back in the day on America’s Got Talent and the tricky selection process for her Idol single, “Change Nothing.”

VIDEO | Idology: Skylar Laine on Guns, Guitars, and Glory Notes. Plus: Hear a Bit of Her Self-Penned ‘Pistol’!

So press play below for the two-part Jessica Sanchez interview, and for all my Idol news, commentary, and interviews (including upcoming ones with Joshua Ledet and hopefully Phillip Phillips), follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Fan4Life says:

Slezak: top 3 week, I like to call it the ‘Jessican Sanchez sabotage hour’
    Jessica: Uh ha (noding in agreement)

Yeah lets make it officially known how true this is.
    But whatever gets thrown at her, she conquers.
    Love this girl to death.

2. MamaLis says:

Great interview! I hope you go far, Jess!
    Michael, you always bring out the best in people! I like them more after your 20 minutes than I did after 12 weeks of Idol!

3. MoonerMan100 says:

I love the fact that she is so mature for her age, not just how she dresses or sings but how she talks and thinks. That’s is just so incredible.

4. jen34 says:

Very good interview… I think it makes a lot of difference when an interviewer knows the interviewee. Michael knew exactly what to ask Jessica and she was obviously comfortable in responding to his questions.

IN regards to the lyrical content of the songs, I believe it wasn’t only Jessica who did songs which are a little inappropriate. Elise sang a “Whitney Houston” one time which implies a one-night-stand thing. Even Skylar admitted in her interview that she didn’t mind the lyrics of a song she sang because she was more concerned in sounding good. It makes sense that since Jessica was steered to sing big ballad songs which are more or less 99% written by adults, of course the lyrics would be mature too.

And lastly regarding the “sabotage” issue, it was pretty obvious that they tried to downplay her with those song choices. But we all saw how such a fighter she is. No matter how ridiculous the songs were, she sang the heck out of them! And “Change Nothing” which was a potential single for her, should have not been included in the selection in the first place. Who, with the right mind would give that song to a 16-yr old upcoming artist? Although let’s be honest here, the song sounded really good because she sang it soooo well…

Having said that, I believe that American Idol had to do it to justify Phillip Phillip’s sure win. I have nothing against this guy and he’s really talented but it was just so sad that the season ended the way it did for Jessica. Well, atleast they gave her that epic duet with J-Holliday which got a lot of people thinking… “How come she did not win?”

5. Sha says:

“I was ready to pee my pants”. and people say she’s coached like some pageant contestant. Jessica is genuine, sassy and as real as they come. The girl is a powerhouse. I can’t believe she had rehearsed that duet only once and it came out like that. Amazing. I’m annoyed that she got sabotaged so much. However, she still managed to shine!

• Bobbi says:

Yes, very well spoken and also great to hear she knows who she is and where her career should head. Her album will be hers and I’m glad she will take the responsibility to make sure to clear everything. Sing YOUR songs Jessica!

6. boo says:

one word – boring ((

7. mariz says:

Thanks for the interview Michael, you are also my IDOL :) Move power to you and for Melinda as well. To Ms. Jessica Sanchez more STAR power! I never regret of choosing YOU the moment I heard your voice from the day 1 on American Idol. I could say that you are the FLAVOR and the SPICE for this season 11 that makes this Idol more exciting and so delicious to watch for me. :)

8. kristine05 says:

yay! this was fun! great vid and great interview! God Bless Jessica! :)

9. Teresa says:

Thank you, Michael! All season, I admired Jessica’s voice, but I didn’t feel like I got to know her personality at all. Nice to find out she’s smart, funny, and well aware of what she wants to do musically. Go, Jessica! You made a fan!

10. Peace Maker says:

I always thought Jessica was really talented but was in the camp who felt her pperformances seemed somehow forced or copied. This interview show that she has personality, and she should learn to show it. If she had owned more of her feeings and attitude about singing, she wouldn’t have come off so much as “only” a 16 year-old kid who couldn’t have known who she is as an artist.

11. Yo' says:

Excellent interview. This girl is much more confident and much more mature than she presented on the Idol stage. She knows what she is doing and what she wants, which will serve her in good stead in the next few years. I have criticized her stage presence sometimes, but you can’t knock that voice; if she gets a decent song to put out she will be golden. I think she is aware of that. The girl is a stah; if she fails I will have to take a good look at the record company.

12. Meghan says:

I thought this was an AWESOME INTERVIEW!! Great job Slezak! I love the way her personality showed through in this 20 minute interview much better than in an entire season of Idol.

13. V says:

Clearly, 90% of the comments are from Jessica’s fans in the Philippines. You cannot convince me otherwise.

• Im not in the Phillipines and I should ask, does that matter at all?? Idol is done, why are you still hating on this Multi-ethnic 16 year Old? If you dont care for her, why bother coming here? You can simply ignore the page. And I believe 90% of the comments on this page are from the U.S! You cannot convince me otherwise!

• lover says:

Clearly, haters gonna hate. I feel bad for Jessica. Even if she juggles 100 pins while singing I Will Always Love You and breathes fire in the end, these people will still find a way to say, “Nah, she’s boring”, “Pageant-bot”. Well, Jessica is destined to stay. Keep on hatin’ haters.

• Rayapolypot12 says:

Clearly, 99.2% (go figure the math) of commenters here are not interested to convince you otherwise. I take it “V” that you are an alien, my humble suggestion is this: the universe is huge, go find your own star to follow and take you stinkin’ hate somewhere else ;)

• taftcod says:

hey “v”…im not from the Philippines..and we’re not here to convince any idiots like yourself.

• Guy says:

JESSICA is a WORLD IDOL! Stop saying that 90% of jessica’s fan is from the philippines. I’m not from the Philippines and I’m from Australia! JESSICA TRUE WINNER!
      NO. 1 IN YOUTUBE VIEWS than other contestants of season 11
      MOST NO. OF FOLLOWERS ON TWITTER THAN THE OTHER CONTESTANTS!
      JESSICA WORLD IDOL!

• P2 says:

Clearly. V is 1000 % idiot. You cannot convince me otherwise.

• J says:

MIB intel confirmed that “V” is indeed an alien. hahaha. chill man.

14. Brigette says:

This interview makes me more excited for her solo carreer. Glad to hear that she will not just stick to the ballads. What a voice!

15. taftcod says:

Mr Slezak..do you have plans to invite and interview Ms Jennifer Holliday in the near future?

16. Lannie says:

So far, it seems like Jessica is doing really well.. She sang the national anthem thrice. She just recently sang it beautifully during the MIAMI HEAT VS. OKLAHOMA!

JESSICA is Phenomenal!

• Percy_015 says:

Well Phillip might have won just a slight margin over Jessica through the votes in America…but I don’t believe he appealed to a bigger audience, Statistics says Jessica’s audience share is a lot bigger than Phillip’s. Here in You tube alone. Phillip’s total views might not even get half of Jessica’s! Well I do believe in his artistry..but it’s not enough..

17. Lannie says:

And I am telling you JESSICA is the BEST!

18. juliedrew says:

watching this interview made me changed my perception about her 360 degrees….i never would have though that she’s that mature, well spoken, smart etc for her age,,,,seeing her on TV during the idol season 11 makes me think she’s just a usual cutey cutey girl who doesnt know what she wants career wise ….. but watching this interview, she really impressed me,,,,she’s ready for stardom,,,GO GIRL,,,

19. Nesty says:

JESSICA ROCKS!
    Jessica is no less than amazing….

20. Blanche says:

I hope Michael discussed about Jessica’s performance “EVERYBODY HAS A DREAM” That was fantastic!
    It was my favorite among her performances in the show. It gives you that incomprehensible happiness in yourself and for Jessica. This was indeed flawless. Perfection at its extreme. Honestly, I was expecting that she was going to sing this in the finale. But whatever, I know she’s going to be BIG in the industry and most especially, she will be respected by the industry because of her pure talent like most American Idol winners and finalists.

21. Dora says:

Guys,i do love bbchez not because of her roots,race or nationality,i do love her coz of her talent and her courage despite of her very young age,i dont look on what she wears,how her hair is done or how high is her heels r nor how pretty or skinny she is,I DO LOVE HER COZ SHE IS WHAT SHE IS AND HER GOD GIVEN TALENT.

22. Dora says:

I LOVE JESSICA! PERIOD!

23. ruler says:

Talent is what talent does.

24. apple says:

SUCCESS IS A BYPRODUCT OF HARD WORK AND TALENT. THANKYOU JESSICA. WML

25. Myrtle says:

It’s pretty obvious that Jessica has the most no. of fans worldwide… Just look at the no. of comments from other contestants…
    Joshua has 154 comments…
    JESSICA has 159
    Hollie and Skylar didnt even reach 100…
    JESSICA WORLDWIDE IDOL!

26. ALYSSA says:

JESSICA SANCHEZ!!! Wish u all the best! I love you so much!

27. John says:

Jessica will shine ..just give it a few years..she will shine..I guarantee it. A voice like this is as rare as whitney’s..with the right song she will be on top. BTW RIP Whitney!

28. Linda says:

Great interview! What a lovely, gracious young lady. I disagree with some posts that she lacked maturity because didn’t speak her mind during the competition. If she would have done that, she would have been labeled a spoiled brat or a difficult diva. I have a feeling that she will take the lessons learned during AI and not let anyone sabotage her career in the future. She was the only reason I watched the show this year.
    Good luck to you JS, I’m rooting for you

29. arlyn says:

Good job Jay. great answers. Cant wait for your Album.

30. PhilJess says:

YES!!!!!!!!! JESSICA SANCHEZ will be on GLEE!!! I’m so happy for her success! She’s very famous in ASIA! Indeed, a WORLDWIDE IDOL!

31. Sushi says:

JESSICA ON GLEE 4TH SEASON.. whoah! getting started!! so excited!! were so happy!! we wonder what’s next for her.. absolutely all the glitters and glamour!! she desreves it she has amazing voice not ordinary!! good luck jessica U TOTALLY ROCK! EVEN MY COUZING SAW UR NAME IN AN ONLINE GAME IN IPHONE.. ur so popular

32. Sushi says:

She was born to win the Grammys.

33. louist says:

Incredibly talented,utterly adorable and amazingly humble and mature jesssica sanchez, in my opinion, is the breakout star of AI season 11. She is the only reason I followed American Idol after a hiatus of 8 years… such a joy to watch and to listen to during the season. I will definitely buy her album.

34. Joshua says:

Typica airhead American teenager thinking she’s got “swag”. So annoying. Anyway, she’s one-dimensional.

35. Dan says:

Thank GOD Candice came back in 2013. She’s outlasted DeAndre already!