Idology: Jessica Sanchez on Short Skirts and Sabotage. Plus: 'I'm Not the Next Celine Dion'

If you’re going to describe Jessica Sanchez’s American Idol journey as a rollercoaster ride, make sure there’s a “you must be this tall” sign at the entrance.

There was her introduction to the Idoloonie Nation with a legendary group performance in Las Vegas and that buzzworthy Whitney Houston cover in Top 13 Week. There was her shock elimination at No. 7 (with subsequent need for the Judges’ Save) and not one, but two stunning renditions of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.”

VIDEO | Idology: Hollie Cavanagh on Diva Ballads, Deadly Heels and Why She Initially Hated ‘Bleeding Love’

Now, Jessica caps off her Idol experience with an unfiltered, often surprising, two-part Idology interview. The Season 11 runner-up tells us what thought initially sprang to mind when Jennifer Lopez grabbed the mic out of her hands on Top 7 results night, which performance had her working overtime to get her vibrato in check, and what she would’ve done differently during her Top 4 performance of “And I Am Telling You…” Plus, she explains why she didn’t care whether the judges praised her for being an “artist” after her rearrangement of Beyoncé’s “Sweet Dreams,” weighs in on the idea that she was sabotaged by unfortunate song choices during Top 3 Week, and tells why she’s not planning to follow in Celine Dion’s footsteps. Oh, and we even talk about her stint back in the day on America’s Got Talent and the tricky selection process for her Idol single, “Change Nothing.”

VIDEO | Idology: Skylar Laine on Guns, Guitars, and Glory Notes. Plus: Hear a Bit of Her Self-Penned ‘Pistol’!

So press play below for the two-part Jessica Sanchez interview, and for all my Idol news, commentary, and interviews (including upcoming ones with Joshua Ledet and hopefully Phillip Phillips), follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (185)

• Slezak: top 3 week, I like to call it the ‘Jessican Sanchez sabotage hour’
    Jessica: Uh ha (noding in agreement)

Yeah lets make it officially known how true this is.
    But whatever gets thrown at her, she conquers.
    Love this girl to death.

Comment by Fan4Life – June 9, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview! I hope you go far, Jess!
    Michael, you always bring out the best in people! I like them more after your 20 minutes than I did after 12 weeks of Idol!

Comment by MamaLis – June 9, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the fact that she is so mature for her age, not just how she dresses or sings but how she talks and thinks. That’s is just so incredible.

Comment by MoonerMan100 – June 9, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good interview… I think it makes a lot of difference when an interviewer knows the interviewee. Michael knew exactly what to ask Jessica and she was obviously comfortable in responding to his questions.

IN regards to the lyrical content of the songs, I believe it wasn’t only Jessica who did songs which are a little inappropriate. Elise sang a “Whitney Houston” one time which implies a one-night-stand thing. Even Skylar admitted in her interview that she didn’t mind the lyrics of a song she sang because she was more concerned in sounding good. It makes sense that since Jessica was steered to sing big ballad songs which are more or less 99% written by adults, of course the lyrics would be mature too.

And lastly regarding the “sabotage” issue, it was pretty obvious that they tried to downplay her with those song choices. But we all saw how such a fighter she is. No matter how ridiculous the songs were, she sang the heck out of them! And “Change Nothing” which was a potential single for her, should have not been included in the selection in the first place. Who, with the right mind would give that song to a 16-yr old upcoming artist? Although let’s be honest here, the song sounded really good because she sang it soooo well…

Having said that, I believe that American Idol had to do it to justify Phillip Phillip’s sure win. I have nothing against this guy and he’s really talented but it was just so sad that the season ended the way it did for Jessica. Well, atleast they gave her that epic duet with J-Holliday which got a lot of people thinking… “How come she did not win?”

Comment by jen34 – June 9, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I was ready to pee my pants”. and people say she’s coached like some pageant contestant. Jessica is genuine, sassy and as real as they come. The girl is a powerhouse. I can’t believe she had rehearsed that duet only once and it came out like that. Amazing. I’m annoyed that she got sabotaged so much. However, she still managed to shine!

Comment by Sha – June 9, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, very well spoken and also great to hear she knows who she is and where her career should head. Her album will be hers and I’m glad she will take the responsibility to make sure to clear everything. Sing YOUR songs Jessica!

Comment by Bobbi – June 9, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one word – boring ((

Comment by boo – June 9, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the interview Michael, you are also my IDOL :) Move power to you and for Melinda as well. To Ms. Jessica Sanchez more STAR power! I never regret of choosing YOU the moment I heard your voice from the day 1 on American Idol. I could say that you are the FLAVOR and the SPICE for this season 11 that makes this Idol more exciting and so delicious to watch for me. :)

Comment by mariz – June 9, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica Sanchez is the true winner of AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 11!
      DONE!

Comment by Krezyl – June 15, 2012 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay! this was fun! great vid and great interview! God Bless Jessica! :)

Comment by kristine05 – June 10, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, Michael! All season, I admired Jessica’s voice, but I didn’t feel like I got to know her personality at all. Nice to find out she’s smart, funny, and well aware of what she wants to do musically. Go, Jessica! You made a fan!

Comment by Teresa – June 10, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought Jessica was really talented but was in the camp who felt her pperformances seemed somehow forced or copied. This interview show that she has personality, and she should learn to show it. If she had owned more of her feeings and attitude about singing, she wouldn’t have come off so much as “only” a 16 year-old kid who couldn’t have known who she is as an artist.

Comment by Peace Maker – June 10, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent interview. This girl is much more confident and much more mature than she presented on the Idol stage. She knows what she is doing and what she wants, which will serve her in good stead in the next few years. I have criticized her stage presence sometimes, but you can’t knock that voice; if she gets a decent song to put out she will be golden. I think she is aware of that. The girl is a stah; if she fails I will have to take a good look at the record company.

Comment by Yo' – June 10, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this was an AWESOME INTERVIEW!! Great job Slezak! I love the way her personality showed through in this 20 minute interview much better than in an entire season of Idol.

Comment by Meghan – June 10, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Clearly, 90% of the comments are from Jessica’s fans in the Philippines. You cannot convince me otherwise.

Comment by V – June 10, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im not in the Phillipines and I should ask, does that matter at all?? Idol is done, why are you still hating on this Multi-ethnic 16 year Old? If you dont care for her, why bother coming here? You can simply ignore the page. And I believe 90% of the comments on this page are from the U.S! You cannot convince me otherwise!

Comment by Lombe Chileshe™ (@MadridistaLombe) – June 10, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly, haters gonna hate. I feel bad for Jessica. Even if she juggles 100 pins while singing I Will Always Love You and breathes fire in the end, these people will still find a way to say, “Nah, she’s boring”, “Pageant-bot”. Well, Jessica is destined to stay. Keep on hatin’ haters.

Comment by lover – June 11, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly, 99.2% (go figure the math) of commenters here are not interested to convince you otherwise. I take it “V” that you are an alien, my humble suggestion is this: the universe is huge, go find your own star to follow and take you stinkin’ hate somewhere else ;)

Comment by Rayapolypot12 – June 11, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hey “v”…im not from the Philippines..and we’re not here to convince any idiots like yourself.

Comment by taftcod – June 12, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JESSICA is a WORLD IDOL! Stop saying that 90% of jessica’s fan is from the philippines. I’m not from the Philippines and I’m from Australia! JESSICA TRUE WINNER!
      NO. 1 IN YOUTUBE VIEWS than other contestants of season 11
      MOST NO. OF FOLLOWERS ON TWITTER THAN THE OTHER CONTESTANTS!
      JESSICA WORLD IDOL!

Comment by Guy – June 14, 2012 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly. V is 1000 % idiot. You cannot convince me otherwise.

Comment by P2 – June 15, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MIB intel confirmed that “V” is indeed an alien. hahaha. chill man.

Comment by J – June 15, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This interview makes me more excited for her solo carreer. Glad to hear that she will not just stick to the ballads. What a voice!

Comment by Brigette – June 11, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they showed it on TV when she sang “GET ME BODIED”
      I know it’s going to be Epic!~

Comment by Lulu – June 14, 2012 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr Slezak..do you have plans to invite and interview Ms Jennifer Holliday in the near future?

Comment by taftcod – June 12, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m really hoping that Ms. Holiday will be on of the judges on American Idol Season 12!

Comment by Sassy Jean – June 19, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far, it seems like Jessica is doing really well.. She sang the national anthem thrice. She just recently sang it beautifully during the MIAMI HEAT VS. OKLAHOMA!

JESSICA is Phenomenal!

Comment by Lannie – June 13, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well Phillip might have won just a slight margin over Jessica through the votes in America…but I don’t believe he appealed to a bigger audience, Statistics says Jessica’s audience share is a lot bigger than Phillip’s. Here in You tube alone. Phillip’s total views might not even get half of Jessica’s! Well I do believe in his artistry..but it’s not enough..

Comment by Percy_015 – June 14, 2012 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I am telling you JESSICA is the BEST!

Comment by Lannie – June 13, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • watching this interview made me changed my perception about her 360 degrees….i never would have though that she’s that mature, well spoken, smart etc for her age,,,,seeing her on TV during the idol season 11 makes me think she’s just a usual cutey cutey girl who doesnt know what she wants career wise ….. but watching this interview, she really impressed me,,,,she’s ready for stardom,,,GO GIRL,,,

Comment by juliedrew – June 13, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you… I was impressed by JESSICA!
      She’s Adorable! One of a Kind~!

Comment by Lulu – June 14, 2012 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GO JESSICA! YOU ARE THE TRUE WINNER!

Comment by ALYSSA – June 18, 2012 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JESSICA ROCKS!
    Jessica is no less than amazing….

Comment by Nesty – June 14, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Michael discussed about Jessica’s performance “EVERYBODY HAS A DREAM” That was fantastic!
    It was my favorite among her performances in the show. It gives you that incomprehensible happiness in yourself and for Jessica. This was indeed flawless. Perfection at its extreme. Honestly, I was expecting that she was going to sing this in the finale. But whatever, I know she’s going to be BIG in the industry and most especially, she will be respected by the industry because of her pure talent like most American Idol winners and finalists.

Comment by Blanche – June 14, 2012 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys,i do love bbchez not because of her roots,race or nationality,i do love her coz of her talent and her courage despite of her very young age,i dont look on what she wears,how her hair is done or how high is her heels r nor how pretty or skinny she is,I DO LOVE HER COZ SHE IS WHAT SHE IS AND HER GOD GIVEN TALENT.

Comment by Dora – June 15, 2012 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE JESSICA! PERIOD!

Comment by Dora – June 15, 2012 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talent is what talent does.

Comment by ruler – June 15, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUCCESS IS A BYPRODUCT OF HARD WORK AND TALENT. THANKYOU JESSICA. WML

Comment by apple – June 15, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s pretty obvious that Jessica has the most no. of fans worldwide… Just look at the no. of comments from other contestants…
    Joshua has 154 comments…
    JESSICA has 159
    Hollie and Skylar didnt even reach 100…
    JESSICA WORLDWIDE IDOL!

Comment by Myrtle – June 17, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JESSICA SANCHEZ!!! Wish u all the best! I love you so much!

Comment by ALYSSA – June 18, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica will shine ..just give it a few years..she will shine..I guarantee it. A voice like this is as rare as whitney’s..with the right song she will be on top. BTW RIP Whitney!

Comment by John – June 19, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica will definitely shine! So excited for her!

Comment by CATHY – June 22, 2012 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview! What a lovely, gracious young lady. I disagree with some posts that she lacked maturity because didn’t speak her mind during the competition. If she would have done that, she would have been labeled a spoiled brat or a difficult diva. I have a feeling that she will take the lessons learned during AI and not let anyone sabotage her career in the future. She was the only reason I watched the show this year.
    Good luck to you JS, I’m rooting for you

Comment by Linda – June 20, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good job Jay. great answers. Cant wait for your Album.

Comment by arlyn – June 21, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!! JESSICA SANCHEZ will be on GLEE!!! I’m so happy for her success! She’s very famous in ASIA! Indeed, a WORLDWIDE IDOL!

Comment by PhilJess – June 22, 2012 01:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JESSICA ON GLEE 4TH SEASON.. whoah! getting started!! so excited!! were so happy!! we wonder what’s next for her.. absolutely all the glitters and glamour!! she desreves it she has amazing voice not ordinary!! good luck jessica U TOTALLY ROCK! EVEN MY COUZING SAW UR NAME IN AN ONLINE GAME IN IPHONE.. ur so popular

Comment by Sushi – June 24, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was born to win the Grammys.

Comment by Sushi – June 24, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Incredibly talented,utterly adorable and amazingly humble and mature jesssica sanchez, in my opinion, is the breakout star of AI season 11. She is the only reason I followed American Idol after a hiatus of 8 years… such a joy to watch and to listen to during the season. I will definitely buy her album.

Comment by louist – June 25, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so true!!!! love it!!!! JESSICA JESSICA JESSICA! WE LOVE YOU!

Comment by Spidey – June 25, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Typica airhead American teenager thinking she’s got “swag”. So annoying. Anyway, she’s one-dimensional.

Comment by Joshua – July 3, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank GOD Candice came back in 2013. She’s outlasted DeAndre already!

Comment by Dan – April 13, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post