Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Supporting Drama Actor Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

This year’s Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama race could come down to a duel between ’10 champ Aaron Paul (back in the running after a year of hiatus-imposed ineligibility) and last year’s victor Peter Dinklage (still very much on top of his, um, game.)

A wildcard to watch: Paul’s Breaking Bad co-star Giancarlo Esposito, who made one of TV’s most memorable exits ever.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Wednesday for our preview of the Supporting Actress Drama race!

Tags:

Comments (175)

• JOHN NOBLE!

Comment by lory – June 4, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded. It’s such a shame that Fringe, its actors, and writers get no Emmy love.

Comment by Victoria – June 4, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s a crime if John Noble is ignored by the Emmys again.

Comment by Jennifer Comet Wagner – June 4, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well ya better call the cops. Sci-fi, Horror & supernatural shows will always be ignored.

Comment by Keenan – June 5, 2012 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Which is why, to me, the Emmy’s remain mostly irrelevant in practice. You just can’t do that and retain credibility.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 06:45 AM PDT
          • If Fantasy can be recognized….like Peter Dinklage then why not Scifi?

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2012 10:08 AM PDT
      • Seriously. Meanwhile they nominate JM from The Good Wife every year and ignore what Anna Torv has done for years

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – June 4, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s funny to me that I and so many people predicted John Noble. We are a delusional bunch who comment here. :)

Comment by brianwhisenant – June 5, 2012 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John Noble, the man is outstanding.

Comment by panda – June 5, 2012 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the entire cast needs to be nominated! The acting is brilliant! Although I would also give robert sean leonard a nomination

Comment by lostintheinterweb – June 5, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN TO THAT!

Comment by Polly – June 5, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He should win it this year, definitely. He’s done such amazing work on Fringe especially this year. Just look at his amazing work in the 19th episode, or in the scene where he bids farewell to Walternate. It’d be such a shame if he never won it this year!

Comment by liddad – June 5, 2012 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^^^^^This!! If he doesn’t get nominated for the farewell to Walternate conversation alone, there is something wrong with the nomination system.

Comment by bexx888 – June 5, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though I’d call him a lead, anything that will score him an Emmy is fine with me. His work on Fringe is breathtaking.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I checked off his name and gave him 5 “write-in” votes in the “Other” category. It’s unthinkable that he hasn’t been at least nominated before now, much less not having won.

Comment by lyssandri – June 6, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ALL THE AWARDS.

Comment by Brandy – June 6, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!!

Comment by David Lindsey – June 13, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only voted for Peter Dinklage. Just give him the Emmy now.

Comment by Charlotte – June 4, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How could Peter Dinkalage not be a dream nominee, tvline?! He’s incredible on the show. The last two episodes were incredibly strong ones from him.

Comment by Elena – June 4, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because dinklage will likely be nominated and a favorite to win, he wouldn’t be a “dream” nominee. Noble has been deserving for his work over 4 seasons of fringe but never has been nominated. Hence…”dream” nominee. :) lol

Comment by Mike – June 4, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That would make sense except that Aaron Paul is a Dream Nominee and is also likely to be nominated and a favorite to win.

Comment by ElKabong – June 5, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Alfie Allen who plays Theon Greyjoy on Game of Thrones is extremely deserving of a nomination. He made you feel simultaneous revulsion and pity for his character this season.

Comment by Callan – June 4, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Just because Alfie is not a well-known actor does not mean he is not deserving of a nominee. He is incredible, making you feel both disgusted by his character, and feeling pity for him at the same time.

Comment by Emily – June 4, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well,there are alot of supporting actors that could be added on this show….Tywin,Tyrion,Stannis,others

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, he was particularly great in last night’s season finale.

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 4, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well if that’s the case I think the kid who plays Joffrey should totally be nominated too… I never thought I could hate a pretty blond boy that much, definitely one of the hardest roles to play in GoT.

Comment by lisa – June 4, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, why is Norman Reedus of “The Walking Dead” not on this list?

Comment by Chandra M. Jordan (@ChandraMJordan) – June 4, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by andressa – June 4, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “This” is so passe. Get a new line, sheep.

Comment by AB – June 5, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Get a new personality, ass.

Comment by tripoli – June 5, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This

Comment by Gataroo – June 6, 2012 04:14 PM PDT
    • NORMAN REEDUS !!! ABSOLUTELY!!

Comment by FaSSbinder – June 17, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You should really swap out Ron Perlman for Opie from Sons Of Anarchy. Granted, it would never happen but this past season was him and he was great.

Comment by Vikki Devine – June 4, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I beg to differ. While Opie/Ryan Hurst had GREAT moments (especially in the second half of season 4), it was really Clay’s transformation and lack of trust that lead to his own downfall that was subtly awesome and worthy of recognition. He shines through the entire run of the season (and show!), while Hurst only had a couple of memorable scenes/episodes. Still, I think the entire SoA cast is worthy of recognition. Truly one of the most underrated ensembles because Theo Rossi, Mark Boone Jr, and even Kurt Sutter himself had awesome scenes.

Comment by Carmen – June 4, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most underrated actor on TV, IMO.

Comment by Ruby – June 5, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fail to understand how John Noble doesn’t have a gazillion Emmy’s already. Meanwhile, Robert Carlyle’s performance is so over-the-top and super irritating to me. I don’t understand the appeal of his character at all.

Comment by Phoebe – June 4, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope robert carlyle doesn’t get a nomination, yes the show is extremely popular but personally I haven’t found the acting to be all that outstanding. There are so many other more deserving actors (John Noble *hint hint*)

Comment by jenna – June 5, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve obviously not seen the episodes he’s key player in. Carlyle puts in a lot of subtle depth to every moment, especially when you see the pre-magic Rumple. The pain comes through in every word, every tremble. Yes, the first few episodes Rumple is manic and over the top. But once the show starts to hint that he’s not a villain through and through, there’s a TON of beautiful work. Also, as Gold, I can’t see anything over the top about him.

Comment by Meiriona – June 10, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadly, I only watch one of those shows. I need to up my tv drama watching.

Comment by DP42 – June 4, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gabriel Mann

Comment by Ci – June 4, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s between Aaron Paul, Peter Dinklage and Mandy Patinkin for me. Massively different shows they’re in, but all outstanding performances.

Comment by Dani – June 4, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me it’s a two horse race between Walton Goggins and Aaron Paul. Walton Goggins is so perfectly demented as Boyd Crowder that I love, fear and loathe him.

Comment by Ava – June 5, 2012 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Goggins, Paul and Dinklage are my Top 3

Comment by TheBeach – June 5, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best new drama on TV

Comment by outlawjoz – June 4, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dinklage FTW. Esposito, Goggins, Leonard, Noble, Slattery.

Comment by Pat – June 4, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Peter Dinklage is absolutely amazing, but the real stunner on this season of Game of Thrones has been Jack Gleeson’s Joffrey. HBO made a big mistake not submitting him this year, but he should get a nomination at least. Not one of the other “big bads” on this list has made the impact that Joffrey has on the collective consciousness, and for a young actor, it’s even more incredible. Why isn’t he on this list?

Comment by taylorrness – June 4, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last year i was able to find a pdf with all the submissions by actors and shows for the emmys, but have not be able to find that for this year. I was curious if you knew where I could find something like that, since you remarked about Gleeson. Thanks!

Comment by sbelkin – June 4, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know exactly what pdf file you’re talking about, I remember that from last year too. I also have been looking around online for that thing this year and can’t find it. Perhaps it just hasn’t been released to the public yet? I would love to get my hands on that to see all the nominees. I bet Gleeson really is submitted, just not highly publicized.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 4, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • thank you! I thought I was going crazy because I have been looking around the internet and just not finding it or anyone mentioning it. I hope it does get released at some point, I just loved seeing who submitted themselves and for what category.

Comment by sbelkin – June 4, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had overlooked him, but you are right. He has done an amazing job with Joffrey.

Comment by AJ – June 5, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THE BASTARD IS COMING.

Comment by robbieg – June 5, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul, Esposito, Cudlitz, Hatosy, Noble, Charles.

I’d love to see that.

However, where are the people from TREME?! Wendell Pierce is phenomenal.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – June 4, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder if Treme even qualifies for this year, it was on so long ago. Isn’t the cut-off like July?

Comment by Danyelle – June 4, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you are right, I’m not sure it qualifies either, though I think the eligibility period runs from June 1st-May 31st? I remember last year everyone was saying Khandi Alexander should have gotten nominated for her performance of being a rape victim in recovery. It wouldn’t matter though even if they were eligible, Treme has never gotten love from the Emmys. I think it’s just a not a well-enough known show, though it’s an absolutely deserving one. I love shows that are character studies.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 4, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too think that Wendell Pierce should be nominated in this category.Steve Zahn probably deserves a nomination too. Treme is one of the best things I’ve ever seen on television. I don’t know why it has not received more attention.

I’ll be ok with it if Peter Dinklage wins it again, he has been phenomenal, but I do think Treme should get some love for its actors.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – June 4, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen Boardwalk Empire but I just assume MK Williams deserves a vote. Also I know people don’t like the Killing but Joel Kinnamen has been really outstanding this season.

Comment by lydiakj – June 4, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch The Killing even with it’s slow pace and it non-stop raining dreariness and Kinnamen makes the show for me. If he weren’t there to balance out his sad sack partner, I probably wouldn’t watch it.

Comment by TheBeach – June 5, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No question, without the slightest hesitation, unequivocally…
    John Noble, Fringe.

Comment by Suhara – June 4, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best new show ABC SCANDAL
    Jeff Perry -Cyrus Beene
    Guillermo Diaz-Huck

Comment by outlawjoz – June 4, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After last night’s Mad Men, Jared Harris has a winning tip, and is also a very serious contender.

Comment by ezmartin – June 4, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe the eligibilty period ended May 31, so that episode wouldn’t be eligible until next year’s Emmys.

Comment by ElKabong – June 5, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They need to give an Emmy for best contrasting work in two shows, or something. It’s crazy that he can be so freaking creepy in Fringe and then so endearing on Mad Men. (I haven’t seen this season yet, so IDK if that adjective still applies…) It confuses my brain that it’s the same guy.

Comment by Brandy – June 6, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Dinklage really a supporting actor? I’d almost think he’s the lead.

Comment by Winter – June 4, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he enters as supporting, so that’s all that really matters here.

Comment by lauren – June 4, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well the “lead” actor from GoT lost his head in the first season so I guess there are only supporting roles now?

Comment by andressa – June 4, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t even care who wins, as long as John Noble AT LEAST gets a nom. Seriously Emmy folks, what else does this poor guy have to do to get your attention?

Comment by Emma – June 4, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last two episodes of GoT solidified my need for another Dinklage Emmy win.

Comment by Petra – June 4, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Noth “The good wife”, Dinklage and Robert Sean Leonard’s Wilson!!!!!

Comment by Laura – June 4, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my goodness, Aaron Paul. He was incredible throughout season 4, along with his incredible speech in “Problem Dog.” I would be happy with Dinklage as well, I wish Alfie Allen would get some recognition though.

Comment by Bella – June 4, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would hope that Aaron Paul’s “Problem Dog” was the scene they submitted. He was amazing all season but that scene along should secure him a nomination if not the win.

Comment by TheBeach – June 5, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer and Robert Sean Leonard both deserve nominations for outstanding performances in what turned out to be a great last season of House.

Comment by Steph – June 4, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure right okay HAHahahahahahahahahahahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by ebowers – June 5, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ron Perlman, Aaron Paul, and Mandy Patinkin are my top 3 choices! With Ron Perlman getting the prize. He’s transformation from anti-hero to plain evilness was brilliant to watch.

Comment by Carmen – June 4, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Robert Carlisle isn’t nominated for his revelatory performance as Rumpelstilstsken then emmys are irrelevant!

Comment by Christian – June 4, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do wish he would get nominated too and if there werent so many great shows on at the same time, he would get a shot. But against heavy hitters like Esposito, Mcdonaugh, Dinklage, it may not happen this year but you never know.

Comment by John – June 5, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i second Rumpelstiltskin / Robert Carlyle!

Comment by funky – June 5, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I THIRD Robert Carlyle – I only voted for him – I don’t watch ANY of the other shows listed so I suppose I’m biased, but hey – obviously a LOT of others agree with me because he’s ranked third in the poll above as of this posting….

Comment by songbyrd86 – June 5, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I FOURTH Robert Carlye. He is magical as Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold and I really think he deserves it, even though shows like OUAT often get ignored for the Emmys.

Comment by Peggi Wolfe – June 9, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, Robert Carlyle is AWESOME as Rumpelstiltskin/Mr Gold. If he doesn’t get some kind of award then there’s no justice.

Comment by Emily – July 4, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Jeff Perry from Scandal?

Comment by Ayoi – June 4, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slattery has been nominated four times for Mad Men, and both Buscemi and Macdonald were nominated last year for Boardwalk Empire.

Comment by Cecil – June 4, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Giancarlo Esposito was outstanding in general, but especially in “Hermanos” in the scene where he visits Hector, and then when he tells Walt to “do it”. Tough category, but I think he upstaged even Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul last season.

Comment by Xandra – June 4, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both Paul and Esposito were terrific. I hope they don’t cancel each other out.

Comment by TheBeach – June 5, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Esposito and Paul canceling each other out would most definitely lead to a Dinklage repeat, which wouldn’t be undeserved either. Can’t really go wrong in this category, but I think Esposito deserves it. I think he, Claire Danes and Jessica Lange were at the highest level all season long with their performances.

Comment by Xandra – June 5, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It thrills me beyond belief that Jon Bernthal is on your list. I’m sad people overlook him because his character was so hated. I’d say that shows exactly how great his performance was, especially when you see what a great guy he is in real life.

Comment by Ruby – June 4, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regarding Boardwalk Empire…”the HBO period drama hasn’t been able to stick an acting nomination yet.” I thought Steve Buscemi and Kelly MacDonald were both nominated in 2011, and I checked IMDB, and they were indeed both nominated. Are you referring to just the supporting actor category that they haven’t been able to stick a nomination?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 4, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Slattery all the way for the win!! Roger Sterling is one of the best characters ever on tv!

Comment by gailer – June 4, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Charles, he had a LOT to do this season and he did it very well.

Comment by Becks – June 4, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Charles(good wife), Josh Bowman (revenge), ben mckenzie (southland), Aaron Paul (breaking bad), john Slattery (mad men), alan cumming (good wife)

Comment by sam – June 4, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I realized Ben McKenzie is not even on the list to vote, and I personally think he’s a better actor than Michael Cudlitz and Shawn Hatosy, although everywhere I turn online they get all the praise. I’m not trying to take anything away from them. They are great in their own right, but McKenzie does so much nonverbal acting in my opinion with the most limited material. Also, from what I’ve seen, he is least like his character in real life (Cudlitz and Hatosy are a lot like their characters in terms of personality whereas Ben McKenzie is this bubbly, sweet, outgoing, articulate, non-troubled, humble guy). I also think Sherman is a more complex character than the others (who are also complex… just not as complex) in that he is highly unpredictable, emotionally damaged in a way that is different from all the other characters (yes, they are damaged, but Sherman is more psychologically damaged on a more permanent/unfix-able level in my opinion), and his struggles are harder to define. McKenzie does a great job playing him with writing that is lacking compared to the writing the other characters get. For example, in S4 – if someone had never seen the first three seasons, they wouldn’t even know that Sherman’s mom was raped in front of him when he was 10, that he has nightmares and suffers from insomnia, that he has a form of PTSD, which is the reason he reacts so violently and psychotically when he sees women or children abused, that he is lonely and feels he doesn’t fit into the cop world or with his rich neighbors in Beverly Hills, that he’s had women trouble and had his heart broken (which coupled with his traumatic past has led him to become promiscuous), etc. whereas the writers continually reinforced Sammy Bryant’s, John Cooper’s, and Lydia Adam’s backgrounds in S4. So I think Ben McKenzie is one of the most underrated actors, and he also promotes himself very little so unfortunately it will probably stay that way.

I also agree with some of your other choices for Emmy! Great list.

Comment by Donna – June 5, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Play favorites? Just because House has never been kind to it’s supporting players doesn’t mean Robert Sean Leonard isn’t a fantastic actor. He acted his heart out when given a chance this year. It would’ve been nice if a proper portrait had been used instead of sharing the frame with Hugh Laurie. Only he and Michael K. Williams were dissed like that in the photo gallery.

Comment by PhonyPoll – June 4, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gabriel Mann

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – June 4, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, I am bummed Mandy Patinkin is not in your dream list. He is so good with his “father” role to Claire Danes on that show. He makes me wish he was my substitute father figure. But this is such a tough category. Some really good actors aren’t getting recognized this year due to the large field of talent. It’s a sad thing. So here’s my picks…
    1. Jon Bernthal (particularly for that episode where he shot the guy in the leg and left him to die)
    2. Giancarlo Esposito. FTW! That dude was amazing. So scary. So complicated. I think he’s the only one truly giving Peter Dinklage a run for his money this year. He deserves it, and could very well win in the same way Margot Martindale did last year. Emmy voters love a villain in the supporting categories, especially one as complicated and deep and intense as him.
    3. Neal McDonough. I did love that psychotic albino deer. He stole the show from Walton.
    4. Mandy Patinkin.
    5. Aaron Paul.
    6. Vincent Kartheiser. Not a popular character at the moment, but he has been so good at making Pete look sleazy, gross and pathetic. I’ve loved his performance this year.
    I say my dream picks won’t match very well with what happens though. Probably what really happens is they choose Giancarlo Esposito, Peter Dinklage, John Slattery, who is a Mad Men favorite character, though he had nothing really all that meaty to work with this year, Mandy Patinkin, Aaron Paul, and Alan Cumming (another Emmy favorite that I’m just “eh” on. It’s not him, it’s the show. Nothing more I dislike when it comes to Emmy nods than a “solid” show). There is a possibility that Michael Pitt could come in and sneak a spot from Aaron Paul. I think might want to have a representative of Boardwalk Empire, and (SPOILER ALERT) this is his last chance. Plus the dude had sex with his mom on the show. Which was horrifying and disgusting, but that could work in his favor for a nomination.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 4, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have yet to see season 2 of Boardwalk Empire but I loved season 1 and in particular, Michael Pitt. Would like too see him get some recognition. And thanks for the spoiler (not mad :) about sleeping with his mom. That should be interesting in a really weird way.

Comment by tripoli – June 4, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Dinklage, but Aaron Paul truly gave Emmy worthy performances in almost every episode last season. If he chooses the right episode, I think he’ll win.

Comment by Christy – June 4, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sure hope it’s the scene at the NA meeting. My jaw dropped watching that and I think it may be the single best acting I saw all season from anyone on any show. Kudos to the writer,too.

Comment by TheBeach – June 5, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a HUGE Fringe fan and have been since the beginning. John Noble effortlessly switches from crazy Walter to stiff evil Walternate. He is brilliant. It is a real shame the academy (and the people of this country) haven’t given him and that great show their attention. He deserves a nomination at the very least, he should have been getting them every year. He does an amazing job each and every episode.

Comment by Krystan Adcock – June 4, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. John Noble, Fringe
    2. Jon Bernthal, The Walking Dead
    3. Walton Goggins, Justified
    4. Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
    5. Neal McDonough, Justified
    6. Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad

Comment by Stephen S. – June 4, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve been watching Sports Night again. can we give Josh Charles an Emmy for that?

Comment by noa – June 4, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Peter Dinklage? Really?

Comment by YowzaPowza – June 4, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They might be wildcards but Brendan Coyle, Steve Odenkirk and Vincent Kartheiser are all deserving of a nomination.

Comment by tootie0406 – June 4, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Surely you mean Bob Odenkirk, who plays Saul on Breaking Bad, not Steve Odenkirk who wrote Bruce Almighty and The Klumps.

Comment by ElKabong – June 5, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Dinklage should and will probably win, but that doesn’t mean Josh Noble doesn’t deserve a nomination… he’s been deserving it for years actually!

Comment by andressa – June 4, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so does Norman Reedus from TWD by the way.

Comment by andressa – June 4, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Giancarlo Espisito, in Breaking Bad, hands down should win the Emmy. Aaron Paul a close second for me, but he has an Emmy and two more seasons of eligibility. It would be a disgrace for Espisito to go unrewarded for his searing, complex and plain-old-outstanding work as Gus on Breaking Bad.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Peter Dinklage and Mandy Patinkin nominated as well.

Comment by Jamie – June 4, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeremy Allen White – Shameless

Comment by jon – June 4, 2012 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not even close in my mind: Rumplestiltskin all the way. He pretty much single-handedly makes every episode.

Comment by Mike – June 4, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The TGW men all deserve a nomination and so does Mandy Patinkin on Homeland and Aaron Paul on Breaking Bad. But I do believe this is Dinklage’s to lose. This year he was perfect in every scene and he did have extremely meaty material. I foresee a Brian Cranston kind of run for Peter Dinklage, he is just too good in such a spectacular role.

Comment by Monica – June 4, 2012 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a hard category for me. I say Noble, Dinklage, Leonard (stellar work in the final arc) and Paul, plus Esposito and McDonough were absolutely insane as bad guys. I love Slattery and Kinnaman, but they didn’t seem to have as much to do this year.

Comment by Emily – June 4, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aaron Paul, Giancarlo Esposito and Peter Dinklage all get my vote. And I agree with everyone suggesting Jack Gleeson – how he has managed to make Joffrey the most hated character on television is nothing short of astounding. That kid is going to do big things.

Comment by Erin – June 4, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a damn tough category and it’s down to about 8 to 10 great candidates. What amazes me is that Norman Reedus, for example, got left out of the list while Alan Cumming was included. He’s just absolutely unconvincing as an heterossexual, competent Eli Gold.

Comment by godzilla's_foil – June 5, 2012 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think AMC must have pushed for Bernthal because he died . Norman Reedus was a far better actor in my opinion!

Comment by FaSSbinder – June 17, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post