Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Chyler Leigh Breaks Her Silence About Shocking Departure

Chyler Leigh Leaving Grey's AnatomyFollowing two weeks of radio silence, actress Chyler Leigh has come forth to clear the air about her shocking departure from Grey’s Anatomy, which killed off Lexie Grey in the Season 8 finale.

RELATED | 16 Fall TV Cliffhangers: Which Characters Should Be Saved? Which Are Expendable?

“Earlier this year, I made the decision that Season 8 would be my last,” Leigh shares in an exclusive statement to TVLine. “I met with [series creator] Shonda [Rhimes] and we worked together to give Lexie’s story appropriate closure.”

Leigh, who joined Grey’s full-time in Season 4 after introducing us to Lexie at the close of Season 3, was partly MIA from the start of the show’s most recent season, after Rhimes granted her an extended summer hiatus to spend time with her family. (Leigh and husband Nathan West have three children, ages 8, 5-1/2 and 3.)

RELATED | Grey’s Boss Opens Up About Finale’s Two Big Exits: ‘It Made Me Sick, It Made Me Sad’

The night that the Grey’s finale aired, Rhimes went on Twitter to explain, among other things, that killing off Lexie “was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end.”

Leigh’s full statement appears below; give it a read and share your new, illuminated thoughts on the actress — and Lexie’s — exit.

“Earlier this year, I made the decision that Season eight would be my last on “Grey’s Anatomy.” I met with Shonda and we worked together to give Lexie’s story appropriate closure. I am very lucky to have worked with this amazing cast and crew for five seasons. My experience on “Grey’s Anatomy” is something that I will treasure for the rest of my life. I want to take this time to say thank you to the fans. Your unconditional love and support have made these last five years very special for me. I look forward to my next chapter and I hope you will continue to follow me on my journey.”

Watch Spoiler Alert! for scoop and theories on the Grey’s spin-off’s big exit:

1. Dean says:

Hoooly God! She has 3 kids and one is 8!! How old is this woman! I loved her as Lexi!

2. Sara says:

I really liked Lexie character and I was shocked when they killed Lexie and Mark both to end their cooperation however I had already heard about that… It was somehow unbelievable and I think it was pretty quick leave for such strong characters of a tv show and it could be better if they prefaced these events better… anyway I am always impressed by this serial

3. Goldie says:

I think her decision is understandable and I don’t even hate the way Lexie was written out (although it seems like the show has only two major plot devices they implement again and again – fatal disasters and cheating). The thing I regret though after rewatching the series is that the time spent on Lexie as a character in season 7 and 8 wasn’t well used in my personal opinion. I understood her quarrel with Mark, that was fine, but that relationship with Jackson was totally pointless and I understand the reasons Lexie gave when talking to Mark about it very well but did we really have to sit through it for 20+ episodes? It was without chemistry and bloody painful. I wish they had spent more time writing scenes/exploring Meredith’s and Lexie’s relationship further. I also really would have liked to see all three Grey sisters sharing a scene at one point.

4. meilleures mutuelles says:

Merci pour l’info. En tout cas, je vais revenir vous rendre visite très prochainement. Amicalement,

5. Skye says:

Hi there, I do think your web site may be having browser compatibility issues.
    Whenever I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in IE,
    it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, great website!

6. Salutation, Merci d avoir partagé cet article avec nous. Merci 1000 fois ! Bravo !

7. Dexter says:

This is still one of the hottest stories….

8. Thilia says:

This story keeps randomly showing back up in the top 4. lol

9. kat says:

Greys anatomy is not the same without Lexie grey I was interested in seeing where her and mark would end up and her and Meredith’s relationship

10. Salem peeples says:

Lexi was my favorite character why did she have to leave