Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Drama Actress Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

One of the big questions surrounding this year’s Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama race: Can anyone beat Claire Danes? She hasn’t even scored a nomination yet, but Homeland‘s leading lady is already considered the frontrunner to grab gold in September. But Danes’ road to Emmy glory is paved with two big obstacles, one of ‘em named Julianna Margulies (last year’s winner for The Good Wife). The other: Elisabeth Moss (the Mad Men actress is long overdue).

And speaking of long overdue, Sons of Anarchy anti-heroine Katey Sagal is once again gunning for her first-ever nod. If she manages to make the cut, all bets are off.

EMMYS | American Horror Story Enters Miniseries Races, Downton Abbey Moves to Drama Category

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back next week as we tackle the supporting races!

Tags:

Comments (491)

• I respect everyone else’s opinions but I’m also in the ‘Why is Stana Katic not up there?’ camp. I agree that some of the ‘teenage fangirls’ tend to take it over the top at times, but I’d also argue that those who are completely slating Stana’s acting ability are just as bad.
    Personally I feel like if you’ve seen Stana in projects other than Castle, (particularly ‘For Lovers Only’) then you should have no reason to question why she deserves an EMMY. If you haven’t seen any of her other acting, then I don’t feel you can make an accurate judgement of her talents.

Based on Castle alone, even if you disagree with her aptitude in ‘Kill Shot’ – where I think, the Prism award Stana received, speaks volumes – there are a handful of other episodes in which her acting skills are beautifully showcased (most notably the season finale, ‘Always’.) It’s okay to say, ‘She’s on the supporting actress’ list, but I feel like that only sells her short because without Stana, there would undoubtably be no show.

And before anyone wants to jump on me for being on the ‘procedural bandwagon,’ I also watch Downton Abbey, Homeland and I think their actresses fully deserve to be nominated; I just feel that Stana has earned her place amongst them.

Comment by ♡AlwaysCaskett♡ (@JustLeanneee) – June 1, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL Whatever you say, ♡AlwaysCaskett♡ (@JustLeanneee)

Comment by Tamara – June 1, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS! You can’t knock someone’s acting ability if you don’t have a complete sense of what they’ve done.

Comment by Becks – June 1, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and by ^THIS I mean the positive comment, not the snarky one :)

Comment by Becks – June 1, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “You can’t knock someone’s acting ability if you don’t have a complete sense of what they’ve done.” If you watch Castle, then YES, YOU CAN. Her other work is completely irrelevant because she is not being considered for a nomination for that movie that person mentioned. She is being considered for Castle so if you watch Castle, then one is entitled to their opinion and and are free to judge. And compared to 99% of the actresses on this list, Stana can’t hold her own, imo.

Comment by I – June 1, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you watch Castle, you wouldn’t offend the main actress, especially not her acting abilities, which are brilliant. So, just stop pretending.

Comment by mac86cro – June 1, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This makes no sense. I watch Castle and I enjoy it, but I obviously have no “strong” feelings for it whatsoever. However, I also watch other shows I enjoy more so I know what kind of competition she faces and what other actresses are out there doing a phenomenal job. Just because someone watches Castle, doesn’t mean they have to put their lead actors on a pedestal. Try making some sense next time, honey boo boo.

Comment by I – June 1, 2012 11:24 AM PDT
        • I’m not saying they need to put main actress on pedestal, I’m saying that you wouldn’t say she can’t act, because it would be obvious to you (if you’re watching), as it is to everyone else, that she CAN act.

Comment by mac86cro – June 1, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Um, I NEVER said she “can’t act.” You’re reaching here. I just said that compared to other actresses, she can’t hold her own. That does not mean she can’t act (although I did think her performance in Kill Shot was over the top. Sue me.). These other actresses are just a notch above her. Granted, they also have better and more challenging material to work with.That’s all. I never said she can’t act, though. I don’t know where you got that from.

Comment by I – June 1, 2012 11:33 AM PDT
            Then you said: If you watch Castle, then YES, YOU CAN.

Comment by mac86cro – June 1, 2012 11:38 AM PDT
          • I meant that as “to judge” someone’s ability, tbh. I was trying to knock YOU out of your high horse for thinking that people aren’t entitled to their opinion that Stana Katic just isn’t as good as the rest…

Comment by I – June 1, 2012 11:40 AM PDT
          • And I was trying to say that she is as good as those on the list, and (for me, but that’s individuals opinion) even more than everyone on that list.

Comment by mac86cro – June 1, 2012 11:43 AM PDT
          • P or I, whatever you go these days, why are you so against people wanting Stana Katic on that list? Again, it’s called having an opinion.

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 03:18 PM PDT
        • Before you stay that an actress can’t hold her own to another, I think you need consider the vehicle they’re in. The finale of season 1 of Homeland was 90 minutes. Network doesn’t have that luxury. Even a “two-hour” finale is actually only 86 minutes. Per episode, cable performers have more time and dialouge to create their characters. Network shows, being shorter episodes with longers runs, have to do character development in smaller pieces, so there is less time to showcase an actor’s range etc. The work rhythms of a network show and a cable show are also completely different, as is the depth the material of those shows can go to. An actress in a cable show holds a distinct advantage over those on a network show and that advantage has nothing to do with ability.

Comment by Beckstle – June 1, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m totally agree with you! I can’t understand why people have to judging stana katic watching just castle! and than, i don’t think anyone has knocked other characters, so I don’t see why you should do with her, anyone it’s free to express its opinion! I know some fangirls are exaggerated, but i think that at least, she should be in this list!

Comment by Anon – June 2, 2012 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elisabeth Moss please. She deserves one for her outstanding work.

Comment by niks – June 1, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv. 4 seasons of building a great character

Comment by Michelle Lee (@SujithaBai) – June 1, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STANA KATIC AND MADELEINE STOWE. Ooh and for all of you haters, some words: get your heads out of your asses :D

Comment by lali – June 1, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried to vote for Claire Danes 6 times but I couldn’t !!!!!!! VIVA CLAIRE

Comment by Ibrahim – June 1, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey Segal is awesome! She definitely has my vote. Monica Potter should also get a nod. She does such a fantastic job on Parenthood. KaDee Strickland from Private Practice also gets my vote.

Debra Messing was horrible in Smash and I can’t stand Madeleine Stowe–not sure what everyone sees in her. I love Emily Van Camp though–she does a good job on Revenge and is extremely good at playing her scenes with other actors.

Comment by Ally – June 1, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops. Almost forgot to mention than Anna Torv deserves the award over everyone.She is so brilliant on Fringe. I still remember her from a two-episode arc she did on the Aussie drama McLeod’s Daughters–that girl acts her heart out.

Comment by Ally – June 1, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever happens, I just want them to stop nominating Hargitay. Seriously, she does NOT deserve to keep on getting nominated over the likes of Katey Sagal and Emmy Rossum.

And of course, Claire Danes will and should win.

Comment by Superhero – June 1, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Co-signed.

Comment by Justin – June 1, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree. It is laughable at this point that Hargitay, Close and Sedgwick keep getting nominated.

Comment by SDS (@blueARQL) – June 1, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. They’s just taking away Sagal and Rossum’s spot on that nominee list. I guess the Emmy voters value comfort so they wouldn’t dare nominated shows like Shameless or Sons of Anarchy because they’re more out of the conventional than most TV these days, and that’s why they’re both my favorite shows.

Comment by Justin – June 1, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • My dream Emmy list For Lead is Ellen Pompeo, Katey Sagal, Maggie Q, Emmy Rossum and Elizabeth Moss.

Comment by SDS (@blueARQL) – June 1, 2012 11:48 AM PDT
  • Jennifer Morrison & Ginnifer Goodwin, I adore these two :)

Comment by Sally – June 1, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where the hell is Emily Deschanel??? :o

Comment by hejsan – June 1, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Stana Katic??!! :( She is an amazing actress!! Have you seen kill shot and the finale episode of Castle? Stana and Nathan are both amazing actors/actresses. I’m writing Stana in under other…period

Comment by Rebecca – June 1, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum is no doubt one of the best actresses on TV right now. She blows me away every episode. An Emmy for Emmy! Needs to happen!

Comment by Sam – June 1, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one question have you seen Stana Katic play ? i am guessing no , because otherwise she would be here . If you don’t bealive that you better go and watch Kill the Shot .

Comment by Mery – June 1, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the shot was killed but good

Comment by jeeb – June 1, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ginnifer Goodwin and LAUREN GRAHAM!!! I know she never gets any love and the chances are slim that’ll change anytime soon, but I still love her and think she deserves at least a nomination!!!

Comment by Leonie1988 – June 1, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Respecting the fact that other people think Stana can’t hold her own against other actresses mentioned, but I just wonder how some of you can fairly make this comparison when ‘Castle’ isn’t strictly a drama. The actresses aren’t going to be meeting the same criteria and generally speaking Stana is going to have less to get her teeth into which will impact on people’s opinions of her acting ability.

Comment by ♡AlwaysCaskett♡ (@JustLeanneee) – June 1, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s also not the other actresses fault that they have meatier material to work with. Stop using this “dramedy” or “network show” thing as an excuse. Okay, yes, you think she is THE GREATEST ACTRESS EVER!!! but the point is, there are other people working on more challenging and demanding roles and are doing it flawlessly. You can still think Stana is amazing, but to actually think Castle is Emmy-worthy is just laughable, when we have SO many other drama’s AND dramedies more qualified for the nod.

Comment by L – June 1, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you’ll notice I’m not blaming it on the other actresses with meatier roles. This isn’t an excuse; it’s fact and it’s more a criticism of the way the Emmy’s are devised more than anything else. I also didn’t say that she is the ‘greatest actress ever,’ only that in my opinion she deserves to be nominated because she is equally as talented as some of the listed actresses. You don’t think Castle is Emmy-worthy, that’s fair enough. Just please don’t slate me for having an opinion, because it isn’t the same as yours.

Comment by ♡AlwaysCaskett♡ (@JustLeanneee) – June 1, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • are you going through all the alphabet?, P, I and L.

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv!

Comment by lois – June 1, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please give Ellen Pompeo an Emmy. She has been doing great work on Grey’s for years. As for the people saying Stana Katic deserves an emmy – come on now. I LOVE Castle but that show is not in the same league as the ones on this list. Minus the newborn Scandal. I could def see Stana getting awards recognition for a different show or movie in the future, though.

Comment by Lauren – June 1, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? You think True Blood is out of Castle’s league drama-wise? How about acting wise?

Comment by Kira – June 1, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mariska ‘should’ win it this year. Her character has gone through the ringer mentally and physically this season. Best acting she’s done on the show in quite a few years. Haven’t seen her topped by anyone else yet.

Comment by Fanatic – June 1, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? She’s been phoning it in for years. Not to mention she was never that good to begin with.

Comment by tripoli – June 1, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Were is Maggie Q????? She deserve the emmy!

Comment by nikitafan – June 1, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Castle, but I don’t think there is anything too great about Katic. She’s good, but not award worthy. I’d love Anna Torv to get nominated, but arguing about winners seems pointless. Claire Danes will, and should, win.

Comment by Ryan – June 1, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First off, this is a DREAM list, not the end all, be all to who is going to get nominated. Second, the Emmy is judged based on one episode from the whole season. So while there is debate on Castle not providing enough range for Stana Katic to show her full potential, it really only matters for one episode. For actress in a drama, I would put her performance in ‘Kill Shot’ up against any other of these ladies best episode. All I’m saying is Stana Katic deserves to be considered here.

Comment by Nick – June 1, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Kira – June 1, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was good in some scenes (with Esposito and a gun) and way over the top in others (drunk), but it doesn’t really matter cuz the episode itself felt like it was pulled from TVtropes.org it was so predictable. When you have this sort of forced pompous episode against the likes of Breaking Bad in its entirety you’re not gonna think twice

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 2, 2012 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d really love to see Anna Torv getting a nomination but Claire Danes deserves to win, she’s amazing in Homeland. Juliana Margulies is very talented but I don’t think she’ll get another win this year (hope she’ll get a nom though).
    I’ll watch all the shows that get nominated before the ceremony to make up my mind better anyway. Gotta love 4 month long holidays :)

Comment by lilys87 – June 1, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can only assume.that Sandra Oh is being placed on the supporting actress list? And, what am I missing with Juliana Marguelis? She seems to be everyone’s darling. She’s on every list and the thing is that IMO, she is good but not great. She has the same expression for everything. And I love The Good Wife but really…..

Comment by Ana – June 1, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Danes deserves to win.

Comment by sabrina – June 1, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic is it for me! These other women are fantastic too, but there is a quality that Stana has that I have not seen in a very long time. She deserves the nomination AND the award. :)

Comment by Lindsay – June 1, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Mireille Enos is brilliant.

Comment by rubytu – June 1, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic deserves to be on this list as much as everyone else. her portrayal of a PTSD sufferer earned her an award for most life like portrayal. not only was she amazing in Kill Shot, but also in Rise, and The Blue Butterfly, Linchpin as well as Pandora, Cops and Robbers, Cuffed, Dial M for Mayor and of course Always. Stana has been amazing through out the season in every episode she was in; the woman can play chemistry with ‘a wet paper bag’. she can play jealously even better and heartbreak so real like it breaks all our hearts! (and let’s not forget the love eyeballs!) so stop ragging on her cause it is getting old fast.

Comment by Grace – June 1, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked her in Cops and Robbers – good script and good performances all around, but in the noir episode she was horrible. She looked either wooden or as if she barely keeps from bursting into laughter, that whole episode she spent with the expression “where am I and how can I get out of here?”. I’m guessing “tongue-in-cheek” is not her forte.

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 2, 2012 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STANA KATIC!!!! Please put her on this list because she deserves is SO much!! She plays Beckett off of the hit show Castle!! She is AMAZING!! If you want to see just go watch Kill Shot and then while your at it, go watch all the other Episodes and see her performance! She deserves an Emmy!! She’s an outstanding actress and she should without a doubt be on this list!! All the Emmys for Stana!!!!!

Comment by Sydney Sanders – June 1, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD. Stop it with the Stana Katic! It’s like a Stana Katic fanpage urged all their followers to come here and rave about her performance in Kill Shot. I love Castle, and I love Stana. She is so incredibly sweet in person. But seriously, all the comments sound the same and it’s ruining this thread.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. We get it, she’s popular, but chill out already. She will very likely not get nominated so the point is rather moot.

Comment by tripoli – June 1, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadly, as usual, this field is not quite as good of a race as the leading men category because of a lack of good roles for women in Hollywood. I believe most TV executives think shows about complicated, flawed male characters are perfectly fine to put on the air, but not shows about complicated, flawed female characters. Except for Homeland. Thank the heavens for that show. Carrie Mathison is my favorite character I’ve ever seen on TV. I love that crazy girl. And Claire Danes has just attacked that character full force. She will win. It doesn’t matter who else gets nominated (even Katey Sagal), Claire will win. If forced to pick 6 nominees, I would pick:
    1. Claire Danes
    2. Mireille Enos
    3. Julianna Marguiles
    4. Elisabeth Moss (Oh, Lizzie, I wish this was your year. It would have been if Claire Danes wasn’t in the field.)
    5. Emmy Rossum
    6. Katey Sagal (As much as I hate Sons of Anarchy, I’ll give that she presents a pretty interesting character on the show).
    As for who really gets nominated…Take my list and substitute Madeline Stowe for Emmy Rossum and Jessica Pare for Katey Sagal or Elisabeth Moss. Emmy voters wouldn’t do that to Elisabeth, would they? It’s not that I want Jessica Pare to get a nomination, I just know Emmy voters love to have Mad Men represented in all the acting categories, and she’s had a pretty full role on the show this year, and she’s not awful…They might not think Elisabeth Moss has had enough of a role on the show to be considered lead actress, and I almost tend to agree with that. Ought to be interesting to see what happens.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 1, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t quite understand the fuss about Madeleine Stowe. I often think the steel factor in Victoria Grayson is overacted.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, so Kerry Washington’s 9 episodes get her a fake emmy nod, but FOUR YEARS of amazing work for Stana Katic gets her nothing? For shame, TV Line.

Comment by Cate – June 1, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that! I seriously don’t know why Stana Katic is not on here. She’s an AMAZING actress. Four years of amazing acting and performances that are outstanding! She definitely deserves this.

Comment by Sydney Sanders – June 1, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear ya about Stana, but Kerry’s work is also amazing. There’s nothing fake about her being on the list.

Comment by Beckstle – June 3, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana is the best!! she should get an Emmy for Kill Shot!!! such an amazing actress!!

Comment by caskett – June 1, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Stana Katic? She was absolutely amazing! And, btw, she’s so so so so much better than a lot of the ladies of this list.

Comment by Lu – June 1, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Paquin or Ellen Pompeo!

Comment by Liz – June 1, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love Stana Katic, Lets be realistic people. An Emmy nomination is not going to happen.

Comment by John – June 1, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana katic (Castle).

Comment by Mari – June 1, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of curiosity for the stana katic fans who think she should win the Emmy: who else would you want to see nominated?

Comment by murley – June 1, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stana Katic ‘Castle’, Anna Torv ‘Fringe’, Katey Sagal, ‘Sons of Anarchy’, Claire Danes, ‘Homeland’ and Sandra Oh ‘Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • cool. good list.

Comment by murley – June 1, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love your list JAA. I’d absolutely back that up. Solid actors, all of them.

Comment by Kira – June 1, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mariska Hargitay. Enough said.

Comment by LivLoveSVU – June 1, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Lana Parilla of Once Upon a Time should have been included as well. Especially after seeing her character before she became the evil queen.

Comment by jerzygirl45 – June 1, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Van Camp deserve an emmy she always played this sweet girl and bang now shes a bad azz chick.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – June 1, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • um.. What’s with all these battle cries for Stana Katic? Did she post the link on Twitter or something? Honestly. I watch Castle and I’m not knocking her but where are all these superfangirl opinions are coming from? She’s good overall, sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes over the top or wooden. And I’m ok with that, she’s all right for Castle and I can’t imagine anyone else playing Beckett but that’s it. She seems to have a lot of loud fangirls, but I could never understand why. Just went through comments on the male actor thread and there is no frenzy for Nathan Fillion for instance. Some are saying they like him and would love to see him tackle a more challenging role, but generally agree that Castle is not it, move along. And that’s Fillion who has like 10 times more Twitter followers than Stana and whose various fandoms have a rep for being super loyal and pretty loud as well. They just can tell reality from a wish. Why Stana’s fangirls can’t do the same? Even if you think she’s so amazing and talented, don’t you see that Castle is not on par with Homeland or Breaking Bad, at least genre wise? Even Hugh Laurie can’t beat Emmy’s “procedural prejudices”, why you think Castle out of the blue would? And not even Fillion who has more cred, but Stana Katic? I am not a die-hard fan of any other actress here honest, I’m just trying to save you from disappointment when there’s no Stana Katic in the noms. Also, you kinda ruining this thread for others, keep it cool folks.

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 1, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s rather insulting to call all those who think Stana Katic deserves an Emmy nomination for her amazing work on Kill Shot, “fangirls”. I like her work on Castle, I’m not a ‘fangirl’. And no need to save me from disappointment, I know how the Emmys work but they won’t change my opinion about Stana Katic’s acting.

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, but you have to agree that general tone of “Stana Katic” posts here was overwhelmingly, stereotypically fangirlish. I’m glad you don’t need to be saved, but something tells me that when the noms are out there’ll be a lot of wailing and hand-wringing in the name of Stana Katic here as well. So I thought I might save some of those poor souls.

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 1, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yes because those ‘poor souls’ need your saving? pretentious much?

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry again, I forgot sarcasm is more effective on the webs when it’s spelled. Here – s-a-r-c-a-s-m.

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 2, 2012 01:44 AM PDT
    • Hugh Laurie has beaten the procedural thing in that they even acknowledge his work as an actor with an Emmy nomination. They acknowledge the work he’s done to make that character completely believable. Of course there’s also the worship of British actors in effect as well, which gives it that extra push. (And truthfully the British worship is well-earned. I mean, if you didn’t know the actor playing House was British, you WOULDN’T know.)

The comment about Nathan verses Stana and the fans reactions casts doubt on how often you watch Castle. The reason some fans mentioned they’d like to see him tackle a more challenging role is because thus far it’s the character of Beckett that carries more of the heavier “drama” part of the dramedy that is Castle. Not that Fillion doesn’t get serious moments: just look at the season four finale, but overall Stana’s arc has been more intense and dramatic. This will probably change as season four has introduced the idea of Castle’s Dad becoming known to Castle, but currently Beckett is the drama focus.

As for being fans disappointed about the Emmy nominations when they’re announced, I’d say the majority of people posting don’t think this on-line discussion is gong to change the outcome of who gets nominated. However, it is a place where people can voice opinion about the Emmy’s: who they think should be considered, the critera used for who gets nominated, and why it’s structured the way that it is. To say people shouldn’t bother talking about an actor or actress as a possibility because “it will never happen” is the same thinking that has the Emmy voters nominating the same people year after year. Without a doubt, not disscussing it makes any kind of future changes even more unlikely that this discussion has of making something about the process and nominations actually change.

Comment by Beckstle – June 1, 2012 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do watch Castle from time to time (haven’t since Feb sweeps though except for the finale, need to catch up) so I know what I’m talking about. You’re right, Stana Katic’s role is a little more challenging and intense because Beckett’s characterization is so all over the map and inconsistent that it’s a real and intense challenge to try and make it work. Same goes for her being “heavy and dramatic” in a badly written, usually badly executed “dramatic” episodes of Castle. When you have hours of brilliant drama on other shows competing with THAT and need to name a winner, you’re not gonna think: wow, we need to encourage that dramedy for going heavy and intense in a couple of episodes this season despite how crappy they were, may be their quality will improve if they’re included along with actual good dramas. By crappy – I mean episodes with drowning cars, sleeping Soviet agents, Beckett’s drinking binges and G.W.Bush ruled conspiracy (I’m pointing him because I can’t imagine who else could it be with such connections).

So yes, Stana Katic’s role is more challenging than Fillion’s because she has way more crap piled on her in the hopes of making her more “dramatic” and “Emmy worthy”, but do we really need to award crap for trying to be dramatic when we have actual very good dramas competing here?

And yes, I realize that it looks like I don’t like Castle, but I do like it actually (not so much this season, but overall). I just happen to think that their strengths are humor, cast interactions, chemistry, comedy with occasional poignant notes (poignant, not over the top dramatic). And I don’t knock Castle’s actors either. They’re good actors, better than on many other network shows actually. I think Fillion is very good and Stana Katic learned a lot since the beginning, who knows what she’d be capable of in other roles. But not now, they don’t deserve awards for their roles on Castle.

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 2, 2012 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • just wanted to add that if Emmy started much coveted “dramedy” nomination my vote would’ve gone to Castle, how it was for 2,5 seasons not now though. I hope if “best dramedy” is awarded we can avoid dramedy showrunners trying to “over-dramatize” their shows in the hopes of winning. Everybody wins then, literally and figuratively.

Comment by arya_shoot_first – June 2, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would guess that you didn’t think much of the original Star Wars Trilogy you know with the funny droids, a farmboy, a princess with a tendancy for sarcastic and hilarious one-liners, and space pirate whose got the fastest ship in the galaxy – when it runs, sadly it got all serious with Darth Vader being the father of both the farmboy AND the princess, the son’s quest to save his dad (Vader) the princess and the space pirate fall in love….should have stuck with farmboy and the princess.

Structurally, Stars Wars, and Castle is actually very much in line with forms of epic drama. Castle also has a strong noir thurline in the case with her mom’s murder. Not everyone likes noir film or Star Wars, but that certainly doesn’t disqualify them as well written material. Castle is
          VERY well written.

Comment by Beckstle – June 3, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just read through all the comments…Pretty brutal.

Comment by Yikes, you guys – June 1, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana katic (Castle).

Comment by F – June 1, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll preface this by saying this is a genre comment not a quality comment. This is getting beyond ridiculous! How is is that Stana Katic is not on this list & Castle is not considered to be a drama when shows like Once Upon A Time, True Blood, The Walking Dead & Fringe make the category. If the Emmys can see outside their box to include fantasy & sci fi in drama why can’t a crime show like Castle fit the category. It is more drama genre than any of the others I’ve listed. Every year this amazing series & it’s beyond talented cast & crew get overlooked in the genre category it belongs to in favour of shows that don’t fit the category & should be in a separate sci fi/fantasy category. I grew up on & love sci fi, but it is not drama genre wise, Castle is.

Comment by Kat – June 1, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty much everyone can submit themselves or get themselves submitted via their network as long as they roughly fit the category they’re aiming for. This is has nothing to do with the Academy thinking outside of the box yet. This is not the official nomination list. The official nominations will be revealed on July 19. And I’m not sure which sci/fi fantasy shows you are referring to that made sure Castle got overlooked in the past? Any show with elements of sci-fi fantasy in it has pretty much zero chance to even get a nomination nod from the Academy these days. It’s been like that for over a decade now. If Castle gets no nominations than it probably comes down to the Academy thinking it’s just not good enough compared to the many other drama shows on tv.

Comment by Nara – June 2, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually…drama is drama. The X-files got nominations and won Emmys because of the story being told. It’s less about the genre and more about the story. However, that’s exactly why Castle should be included. At this point the procedural element is a mere backdrop for the actual story.

Comment by Beckstle – June 3, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I am also SICK & TIRED of all those bagging on Stana & her fans. We are entitled to love her work, just as everyone else here is entitled to have their favourites, whoever they may be. If you don’t think Stana is talented that is your opinion, but please don’t belittle ours. Because IMO Stana is the most talented, versatile & extraordinary actress I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching on screen. She is the only actress who has ever been able to make me care about the movie character on the same level as a TV character. She is incredibly expressive & can tell an entire story with just her eyes. She makes you feel what her characters are feeling & becomes her characters in a way I have never seen before. If you don’t agree so be it, but that doesn’t give you the right to be disrespectful of me, other fans or Stana herself.

Comment by Kat – June 1, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone has their own opinions on who should get a nomination or not. Stana does a great job portraying Kate Beckett. The problem is there are so many actresses that should get a nomination and only a few get selected by the Emmy voters. Claire Danes will probably win in this category or Julianna Margulies from the Good Wife.

Comment by Linds (@Lwass007) – June 1, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love it if Emmy Rossum got nominated, even though it’s a long shot. Nobody is beating Claire Danes this year, though. She’s amazing and thoroughly deserves the Emmy.

Comment by anna – June 1, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot beeeelieve I don’t see Stana Katic’s name on this list. You cannot be serious. Huge, huge oversight. She’s been giving Emmy-worthy, high caliber, dramatic performances all season long! Since the middle of last season things Castle has been more intense than light hearted, and should be recognized. Amazing performances. Yeah, Kill Shot was the standout but there were many other episodes from the past year that would showcase her chops just as well.

Comment by Kira – June 1, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops.
      season Castle* (leave out ‘things’)

Comment by Kira – June 1, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please… ANNA TORV from Fringe desperately deserves hers… She is so stunning and amazing and leaves us in tears every week. I mean the woman plays two versions of herself… and like 52 subversions….She really deserves it.

Really. <3

Comment by Kaela (@MomentumDefered) – June 1, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Danes! No one else can compare.

Comment by yup – June 1, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And why is Elisabeth Moss always considered Lead but Christina Hendricks is considered Supporting? They get the same amount of screen time.

Comment by yup – June 1, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping for Claire Danes or Michelle Dockery to win. They’re both amazing! Emmy Rossum, Katey Sagal, Anna Torv and Ellen Pompeo would all be a nice surprise, they’re great! Julianna will probably get a nomination, but I don’t think she’ll win. Seriously, this is hard, I really like a lot of them lol and I’m with everybody else: where is Stana? She’s amazing too and her work on this season of Castle was her best yet on the series, IMO. She should be on the list.

Comment by Tati – June 1, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post