Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Drama Actress Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

One of the big questions surrounding this year’s Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama race: Can anyone beat Claire Danes? She hasn’t even scored a nomination yet, but Homeland‘s leading lady is already considered the frontrunner to grab gold in September. But Danes’ road to Emmy glory is paved with two big obstacles, one of ‘em named Julianna Margulies (last year’s winner for The Good Wife). The other: Elisabeth Moss (the Mad Men actress is long overdue).

And speaking of long overdue, Sons of Anarchy anti-heroine Katey Sagal is once again gunning for her first-ever nod. If she manages to make the cut, all bets are off.

EMMYS | American Horror Story Enters Miniseries Races, Downton Abbey Moves to Drama Category

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back next week as we tackle the supporting races!

Tags:

Comments (491)

• I know is impossible, but I want GINNIFER GOODWIN.
    I totally love how she acts so different as Mary and Snow, indeed, it seems another actress¡¡¡

Comment by veronic – June 1, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not even a huge TVD fan but the queen of duel-roles is Nina Dobrev. She genuinely seems like two actresses playing two roles. Ginnifer is good, but not THAT good. She seems like one actress playing two different variations of the same character, which is what she’s suppose to appear to be.

Comment by guest – June 1, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As a huge TVD fan, I would say Anna Torv is the queen. I always forget that she’s playing Fauxlivia on Fringe.

Comment by James – June 1, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I always think that there’s a different actress playing each version of Olivia, but then I realize that it’s just Anna. She is amazing. Hands down.

Comment by Andrea – June 1, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, have you seen Anna Torv in Fringe, playing THREE different characters (two versions of the same one, and another completely different) and nailing it? Now THAT’S impressive.

Comment by Ella Press (@EllaPress) – June 1, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Anna Torv played 4! Don’t forget she channelled William Bell too! THE QUEEN OF DUAL ROLES! And to think when Fringe first aired I didn’t like her…

Comment by Liz Thompson Attaway – June 1, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No lies detected.

Comment by Dick Whitman – June 1, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am a fan of TVD but Nina Dobrev is shockingly bad as Duel roles, the whole point of playing two characters is to play them differently, not with the same stance and voice especially sine the characters are from different eras! Anna Torv far far far superior

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – June 1, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • agreed. All Nina Dobrev does is walk and dress sluttier and purse her lips.

Comment by alpine – June 2, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The CW does not submit any of its shows for Emmy nominations. And begging them doesn’t seem to work. Just ask Supernatural fans.

Comment by JC – June 1, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nikita is amazing drama,and it had Emmy nomination for music,I think,but Maggie Q deserves nomination for drama actress!

Comment by you know – June 2, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Queen of dual roles? That’s gotta be Anna Torv, man!

Comment by Carmela – June 2, 2012 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!! at least she deserve a nomination, She does a wonderfull job!

Comment by Ruth Caceres (@ruthadri) – June 1, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THE GOOD WIFE’s Julianan Marguiles

Glenn Close

Grey’s Anatomy Ellen Pompeo

REVENGE’s Madeline Stowe and Em Van Camp

Comment by justin121 – June 4, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHERE’S JENNIFER CARPENTER?

Comment by ANNA – June 1, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that !

Comment by T. – June 1, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, there’s all this Revenge//OUAT/True Blood/Smash riff raff and no Jennifer Carpenter?
      She’s been overlooked for years.

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 1, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO Stana Katic??!?!?!? SERIOUSLY?!?!!? Have you seen the killshot episode of Castle???

Comment by Chiara – June 1, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah!!!!!!!!!! WTF??

Comment by missy – June 1, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly my reaction! if she’s not deserving of a nomination, I honestly don’t know who is.

Comment by tishka – June 1, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WTF!? where is stana katic!? I vote for her, and all should do it!

Comment by Anon – June 1, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im with them! Watch Stana in action and then get back to us. Seriously

Comment by Ann – June 1, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, but then I watch the Blue Butterfly episode and cringe.

Comment by Juliet – June 1, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, those voters don’t like procedurals like Castle, NCIS, and Bones (just to name a few).

I hate how biased they are. I wish they’d open their eyes and see how much talent there is in other categories.

I want so shocked (but in a good way) when Game of Thrones got nominated last year, and even more so when Peter Dinklage got the win.

I want her to get the nomination, but these voters probably won’t allow that to happen.

Comment by Alex – June 1, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG. True, Emily D is not nominated either!…

But then you have Law and Order..

Comment by A – June 1, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is wroing with these people? Why is Stana Katic NEVER on the list???

Comment by mcnevs – June 1, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To me range of skill is the most important element. Can they do comedy as well as they do drama? I don’t see any of these women in any of these shows displaying any ability at humor, gallows or otherwise. Katic on the other hand has demonstrated range these others haven’t. So, is she the better actress? In my book yes.

Comment by Jim – June 1, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Er, it’s based on an actress’ performance in one episode of one show. I don’t think range is entirely the point.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen to that! And even if it’s based on one episode… Watch “Kill Shot” before judging. If that’s not Emmy material, they need to re-evaluate this list. Cause if Stana’s performance in that episode is not deserving, at least 70% of that list aren’t either.

Comment by Teresa – June 1, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree 100-percent!

Comment by Michele – June 11, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly, you need to watch more television. Stana has NOTHING compared to the women on this list. Js. (Especially the constantly snubbed ones.)

Comment by P – June 1, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly, you need a dose of reality. After you watch Castle or anything else with Stana, then judge. And don’t say you did watch, you wouldn’t say something like that if you did. Stana is one of the best actresses at the moment, if not THE BEST. Way better than any from this list. YOU watch more television.

Comment by mac86cro – June 1, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I do watch Castle. But I also watch The Good Wife, Homeland, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, Southland, etc. So, talk about a “reality check” on you, boo. “THE BEST” lol. Pretty sure you watch none of these cable shows or YOU wouldn’t think so highly of Stana’s, um, “acting” skills.

Comment by P – June 1, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I totally agree with P. I watch Castle as well but I know the difference between bad, good and great acting (and I’m sorry to all the Stana Katic fans but yeah, she has nothing compared to some of the actresses on that list).

Comment by isabel – June 1, 2012 09:13 AM PDT
          • I’m not even sure there exists a BEST – there are so many factors to consider, especially the content of the shows themselves. The “best” usually kneel at the feet of subjectivity and politics. Notwithstanding “Who’s the best,” I do think Stana Katic has earned a nomination among these acting peers.

Comment by Cynthia V. – June 1, 2012 09:31 AM PDT
          • I’m a television junkie and I’ve seen all of these cable shows. These women are great actors, but so is Stana Katic. She’s phenomenal and definitely deserves to be in the ranks with them.

Emmys may look down on procedurals, but they’ve been nominating Mariska Hargitay for years (who’s completely deserving), so I’m not really buying that either.

Comment by Olivia Rowe (@OliviaJRowe) – June 8, 2012 12:09 PM PDT
        • YOU ARE MY HERO.
          I agree with every single word you said. i’t a shame that Stana is not on the list….again. -.-”’

Comment by Elisabetta – June 2, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Stana is a great comedie actress! She would do great in comedy, she has great timing and funny expressions.
          Sometimes she does drama good. But some other times. Ouch.
          I mean, come on, it breaks my heart to admit it because I love te show Castle, but she wasn’t that good in the series finale. Especially during that final scene, I thought her lines were poorly delivered and I wasn’t “in to it” as much as I would have liked.
          Nathan Fillion, on the other hand is a great actor, and it’s a shame he’s not on the list.

JMHO

Comment by Viv – June 5, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought!! If she doesn’t deserve an Emmy, I don’t know who does! Seriously!
      ***STANA KATIC FTW*****

Comment by Jenny – June 2, 2012 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup IKR! absolutely ridiculous

Comment by Holly – June 3, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you there! I put her name in too! Kill Shot, Always, and any many in many others her acting has been beyond compare!

Comment by Michele Scott – June 6, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!!!!!

Comment by LAura Smith – June 7, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum needs to be nominated for Shameless. Many of those in the cast ought to be nominated in fact.

Comment by Franklin – June 1, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God yes. Emmy Rossum deserves this nom so freaking much. She was absolutely amazing this season, along with everyone else in the cast.
      I also think Anna Torv should be nominated, but not holding my breath. The Emmys are a farce.

Comment by Lauren – June 1, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! One of the best actresses on TV!

Comment by Wouter – June 1, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emmy Rossum anchors the show. She’s phenomenal. I voted for her, Claire Danes, Elisabeth Moss, and Anna Torv because I’ve seen them do some amazing work, and Julianna Margulies because I’ve never heard a bad word about her work in the Good Wife, even though I’ve never seen it.

The last slot is up for grabs. I don’t watch Necessary Roughness, Damages, Downton Abbey, The Closer, Sons of Anarchy, Smash or SVU, so of those who are left… perhaps Kerry Washington. Scandal was an unexpected treat.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emmy is a terrific actress and, as good as she was in season 1, I thought that she was even better in season 2.

Emmy R and Katie Sagal, without a doubt(IMHO) gave two of the top six performances this year. It would be a shame if either didn’t make the ballot. Too bad that Shameless has such a small audience.

I’d have to go with Kyra again, as well. I’m not always crazy about the show but she nails every scene she’s in. Despite winning, she’s underappreciated for the amazing body of work that she’s accumulated on the Closer.

Comment by MIchael – June 2, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! Emmy Rossum deserves not only a nomination but a win for season 2 of Shameless. She was so impressive in those final episodes, kicking Lip out and begging her mom to get out of bed. She breaks my heart.

Comment by pria – June 2, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lana Parilla!

Comment by Amanda Leigh – June 1, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she is as secondary character ;)
      I vote for GINNIFER here and for LANA in the other nomination ;)

Comment by veronic – June 1, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Parrilla’s not playing a supporting character at all, but ABC was smart enough to submit her in the supporting category. Means OUAT’s two best actresses (Parrilla & Goodwin) are not up against each other in the same character. Smart choice. But I doubt in the end either will stand a real choice because the Academy still snubs fantasy shows. Real shame though.

Comment by Nara – June 1, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ABC have put her forward as supporting but don’t understand how! Her performances are the reason a lot of people are watching!

Comment by amy – June 1, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NOT TRUE.
          Assuming people watch the show for Regina/lana is……
          I love her, but I don’t watch OUAT for Lana.
          I prefer Snow.

Comment by veronic – June 1, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So…you watch the show for one character?

Comment by sara – June 1, 2012 10:38 AM PDT
          • I watch the show for SNow&Charming&Emma story.
            But I love everybody (well, I dislike Emilie as Belle) ;)

Comment by veronic – June 1, 2012 11:06 AM PDT
          • She didn’t say everyone watches it for Parrilla. She said a lot of people watch it for her. And considering the size of her online fanbase, I’d say that’s probably true. I don’t see how you think this puts others down or why you felt attacked by that? It doesn’t say that the other actors on the show aren’t popular with fans. It’s simply a statement about LP, nothing more.

Comment by Nara – June 1, 2012 12:30 PM PDT
    • She’s in Best Supporting.

Comment by sara – June 1, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You people are freaking delusional. It doesn’t matter how beautiful Lana Parrilla is or how much you love her or her character. She’s a classic scenery chewer. Yeah, she’s that bad and no one in OUAT is any great, to be honest, love the show or not (and I truly like it anyway). Get used to it.

Comment by Dan – June 2, 2012 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO STANA KATIC???? SERIOUSLY????!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by missy – June 1, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Michelle Dockery doesn’t get a nomination, I will be livid.

Comment by Claire – June 1, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, ladies, but there is more life than just Castle show.

Comment by veronic – June 1, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not, castle! stana is an amazing actress!

Comment by Anon – June 1, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stana neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds to win ….c’mon she had one episode of serious stuff and she nailed it !! and one just doesn’t base a persons’ acting talent on crying and bawling…has anyone even seen the range of emotions she does within a few seconds’ time…respect the list, but so many people can’t be wrong at the same time !!!!

Comment by ship – June 2, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ANNA TORV, ALL THE AWARDS.

Comment by f – June 1, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is SANDRA OH?? Come on…

Comment by violinka – June 1, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She should definitely be on the list. Deserves it way more than Ellen Pompeo to be honest.

Comment by Nara – June 1, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’ll probably be on the list for Supporting. And I agree, she definitely deserves to be.

Comment by Becks – June 1, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • SO fans classy as always. *eyeroll* SO’s nasty little fangirls never know how to behave.

Comment by dancingzebra – June 2, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she is on supporting actress like she has been for the past 8 years

Comment by Juan – June 1, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • shes always been under supporting role…..always

Comment by amberjj – June 1, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that it will never realistically happen, but Maggie Q. Did you watch Wrath? Chills.

Comment by Kat – June 1, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Someone needs to recognize the amazing range of Maggie Q, on the CW or not!

Comment by ndavika – June 1, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic (Castle)!!!!!!

Comment by 1822 – June 1, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lena Headay (Cersei) from Game of Thrones!

Comment by Jen E – June 1, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this!

Comment by Liz – June 1, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh such a good suggestion!

Comment by Aria – June 1, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, Headay isn’t on there but Callie Thorne is?!?! How she got a nom last year (or was it for the globes?) is just beyond me

Comment by Tammi_T – June 1, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she is supporting actress

Comment by Juan – June 1, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Came here to post her name! She’s been amazing this season, and completely stole the show in last weeks episode. Definitely deserves a nomination.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Like the poster above you said, HBO submitted her as supporting. If she doesn’t get nominated, the Emmys should be ashamed, to be honest. Her performance last Sunday in “Blackwater” was some of the best acting I’ve seen all year.

Comment by Erin – June 1, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Headey.

Comment by tripoli – June 1, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey Sagal,who SHOULD’VE been nominated for her fabulous work on SOA in S2, should win. Also, Emmy Rossum still deserves one.

Comment by Megan – June 1, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with this comment. If it were up to me, one of those two would win.

Comment by Carmen – June 1, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God, Katey in S2 STILL makes my heart hurt! She was beyond fabulous. I don’t know why SOA gets overlooked at awards season, it’s consistently one of the best shows on the air.

Comment by Lime – June 1, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same here! I’m about to rewatch Season 2 of SoA, but I keep putting it off because her season 2 performance is just SO GOOD AND HEARTBREAKING. Who would have thought Peggy Bundy would play a dramatic role/storyine so flawlessly. Kudos, Katey.

Comment by Tamara – June 1, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree 100%… the episode in S2 when she tells Jax and Clay was beyond amazing work. I’d also like to see Maggie Siff get the supporting actress nom this year…. her work in S4, especially the second half, was very strong.

Comment by kimberly – June 4, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katey, along with Emily R., Elizabeth Moss, Clare Danes, Glenn Close and Michelle Dockery definitely should be there judging by the shows that I watch. I’m sure there are several other deserving noms on the list for shows that I don’t watch.

Comment by TheBeach – June 1, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I vote for Elisabeth Moss 5 times? She really deserves this!

Comment by Annie – June 1, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by niks – June 1, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I was an Emmy voter just so I could vote for Elizabeth Moss. She has been so incredible this season.

Comment by Mel – June 1, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cried when Peggy gave Don her hand goodbye.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic? Emily Deschanel? Sandra Oh? Where are these amazing actresses on this list????

Comment by Mari N – June 1, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a huge bones fan, but Emily really wasn’t given enough to work with this season to deserve an Emmy. Not hat this season was bad, but it didn’t really stretch her at all acting-wise. She should have been nominated in season 2 or 5.

Comment by Brandy – June 1, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sandra Oh is always in the supporting category.

Comment by Emily – June 1, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the case of Stana and Emily, they simply aren’t given enough Emmy caliber material to earn a nomination (Not saying it as a bad thing, Bones and Castle are more lighthearted, with serious moments thrown in). Stana has her moments (“Always” comes to mind) as does Emily (“The Doctor in the Photo” going back to last season) but there simply aren’t enough of these moments to earn a nomination

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – June 1, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Danes is going to win, but Emmy Rossum should get a nomination for sure.

Comment by Che – June 1, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kerry washington gives a powerhouse performance in scandal . I really hope that Madeline Stowe and Emily can camp get nominated. Stana katic should too.
    My list:
    Julianna marguelis
    Claire Danes
    Kerry Washington
    Madeline stowe
    Elizabeth moss
    Stana katic

Comment by Jake – June 1, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • stana katic should be one :)

Comment by shania – June 5, 2012 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ginnifer AND Jennifer.

Just… no to the others. Especially Ellen Pompeo. Since when?

Comment by Bridget – June 1, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear gawd, how does one really pick only 6 out of such an amazing list? Its like a Spohie’s choice of hot, talented women

Comment by Colleen – June 1, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen pompeo all the way. This woman and actress is awesome

Comment by Marissa – June 1, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum MSUT be nominated. She is AMAZING in Shameless. A to the mazing.

Comment by Larsson Ronny – June 1, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen Pompeo is highly underrated actress! Although Grey’s has/had some finest actors in their cast (Sandra Oh, Chandra Wilson, Chyler Leigh, Katherine Heigl), she still manages to shine as the lead character – She has given us a brilliant journey from a “dark and twisted intern with a dysfunctional life” to a “successful doctor, wife, friend and mom”!

It’s time to give her and Sandra Oh and Emmy! (just see the season 8 finale- her acting deserves a nod!)

Comment by R – June 1, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are some really great actresses in this list but, Julianna Margulies’s work is just phenomenal.

Comment by isabel – June 1, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Margulies’ work

Comment by isabel – June 1, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glenn Close wans’t nominated last year because she wasn’t eligible. No new episodes of Damages had aired.

Comment by onthegointo – June 1, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s going to be tough for Glenn Close this year since Damages has moved to a Directv channel only.

Comment by TheBeach – June 1, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was going to say the same thing. Come on tvline, your job is to know this.

Comment by stacy – June 12, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course Claire Danes will win!!! Why Ellen Pompeo is here? She’s terrible, never will win an emmy or other award.

Comment by Annie – June 1, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems to me like Jessica Pare was left off this list. Don’t count her out.

Comment by Maxwell H (@MaxLHad) – June 1, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Already have. She’s awful.

Comment by tripoli – June 1, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just because she’s on Mad Men doesn’t mean she deserves a nomination.

Comment by yup – June 1, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that actresses can choose to submit for either lead or supporting but I seriously cannot comprehend how is it possible for Elizabeth McGovern to consider herself a lead in this season of Downton Abbey. And to think that she could divert votes from the extremely deserving Michelle Dockery upsets me. In any case, it’s a race between Julianna Margulies and Claire Danes and I for one would not know how to choose. They are both amazing in their roles.
    Do you know if Lena Headey is entering the race in the Supporting Category?

Comment by Monica – June 1, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica Pare?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment by Shashwat – June 1, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHERE THE HELL ARE STANA KATIC AND CHYLER LEIGH?! Have you seen the episode “kill shot” of castle, and “flyght” of grey’s anatomy!? Ok, maybe these shows aren’t the best, but their acting is amazing!

Comment by Anon – June 1, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chyler Leigh would be a supporting actress, not lead.

Comment by Meg – June 1, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d love to see Chyler get nominated. She’d be supporting. I think she does a way better job than Ellen.

Comment by Sarah – June 25, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lana Parilla is considered SUPPORTING?! That’s ridiculous…. I love Snow/Mary Margaret, but the Evil Queen is a MUCH more significant role….

Comment by PFitzDC – June 1, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best Actress is more of a Big Name game and Jennifer and Ginny have bigger names. They also have no chance of being nominated in this category.

Comment by sara – June 1, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suspect it’s more of a tactical move. Parrilla is one, if not the single best shot OUAT has at getting a nomination. Ginnifer Goodwin is fab too, but I don’t think she stands a chance against people like Danes, Margulies, Sagal, Close, etc. Supporting could be a different kind of game. If OUAT weren’t a fantasy show Parrilla would have a real chance at getting a nod. Either way, it’s smart to not put their two best actresses up against each other in the same category.

Comment by Nara – June 1, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree.
        I LOVE Lana and Ginnifer (and Josh lol)

Comment by veronic – June 1, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey Sagal, Katey Sagal, Katey Sagal, Katey Sagal, and Katey Sagal. But that’s never going to happen so she really is part of my “dream” nominees/winner. :(

Comment by Carmen – June 1, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glenn Close was not left off the ballot left year – Damages had a very large gap between airing Season 3 on FX and Season 4 on DirecTV, and therefore, Close had no new material to submit last year. Close has been nominated 3 times for 3 seasons; if she is nominated this year, she will have been nominated for every season of the series. Certainly this is not a real con, but an oversight by whoever wrote the caption.

Comment by David – June 1, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glen Close or Julianna Margulies!!!! Not Anna Torv or Ellen Pompeo, they are bad actress, Ellen Pompeo dont deserve that.

Comment by Jennie M – June 1, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anna Torv is a bad actress? If I was Glen Close or Juliana Margolies I’d reject your endorsement.

Comment by MRinLA – June 1, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must live in the observer-controlled universe if you think that! You poor soul

Comment by lory – June 1, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your spelling and grammar are so poor your comment is rendered obsolete.

Comment by tripoli – June 1, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed Glenn Close and Julianna Margulies are in a league of their own, but Pompeo is not bad at all she’s very good.

Comment by justin121 – June 4, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STANA KATIC!!!!

Seriously, have you forgot about her?!?!?!?!? Killshot, anyone?????

Comment by mac86cro – June 1, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!!! exactly what I was thinking…. where the heck is Stana Katic!!! She deserves it so so much…

Comment by nina – June 3, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Q for an Emmy, and all the awards.

Comment by Kathy (@_wysiwyg) – June 1, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Her performance in the episode where she was kidnapped (I think it was three episodes before the finale) was INCREDIBLE! It will never happen but it’s a shame.

Comment by guest – June 1, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. A million times yes.

Comment by CJ – June 1, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Long shot, but she definitely deserves some recognition for her powerhouse performance this season. Love Maggie Q!

Comment by ndavika – June 1, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Deffinately Maggie Q ….she deserves the all of awards..cz. Her fantastic act..especially in episode called WRATH…

Comment by lisa – June 1, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Emily VanCamp get some love (it wont’ happen BUT) she’s definitely the heart of the show and in my opinion delivers a much better performance than Madeline Stowe. Yes Madeline is great as Victoria but her performance boils down to the same three faces while Emily has really done it all this season.

Comment by guest – June 1, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Julianna Margulies, she’s just a consistently great actress. And Ellen Pompeo definitely deserves some Emmy love, but if she hasn’t gotten any the past 7 years I doubt they’ll start now.

Comment by Becks – June 1, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Stana Katic!?

Comment by Lia – June 1, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are people being serious with the Stana comments on here? Wow, okay… Go watch Sons of Anarchy 4.O9 “Kiss” or 4.10 – “Hands” or the ENTIRE season 2 of Shameless, or the second-half season 1 of Homeland or Regina King in Southland. I mean, Stana is a decent actress but most of the women on this list are on a league of their own. (I’m so ready for the hate I will get for this…)

Comment by P – June 1, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol its okay, we respect your opinion. :)

Comment by shippiebrain – June 1, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Look I love Castle more than anyone, but SK is not doing anything special on the show. She really isn’t asked to honestly. Even Killshot, which was a good idea (highlighting PTSD) was way too over the top.

Have people here seen some of her other work? She really has a lot to learn about the subtlety of acting.

Comment by Lisa – June 1, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • over the top? I guess you’ve never had PTSD or met someone who did.

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • exactly! i have PTSD and if you knew how it works you’d stand and scream for Stana Katic to receive the EMMY. Ovver the top? uh uh… EVERYTHING SHE PORTRAYED WASS\ RIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment by cait1626 – June 2, 2012 04:21 AM PDT
          • thank you, it bothers me a lot when someone says Stana Katic’s acting on Kill shot was over the top in some scenes (the hallway scene for example), I also have PTSD and as you said she nailed it.

Comment by JAA – June 2, 2012 05:41 PM PDT
        • I have PTSD and if it wasn’t for Stana Katics exempletory acting of someone who has an “Over the Top-PTSD, which it definately is, I would not have gone in for treatment! You have to experienced it in order to understand it! Obviously you have not. The writers were right on as were Katic’s portrayals of someone suffering from this terrible disorder. I had a college professor who had fought in WWW II who would still hit the deck if someone dropped a book or something! Over-the-top? Not at all!

Comment by Michele Scott – June 6, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have not PTSD, I simply had a couple of Panick attacks. Well let me tell you, Her portrait of them is more than accurate!

Comment by Chiara – June 9, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s called having an opinion, you know. So, if they think Stana Katic should be nominated for best actress we should take their opinion seriously, acting is subjective.

Comment by JAA – June 1, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know they nominated themselves this way, but I wouldn’t consider Elisabeth Moss or Madeline Stowe the leads on their shows. They would both have such a better shot at winning if they put themselves into the supporting race, where they belong. Same with Ginnifer Goodwin I suppose. The only lead on Mad Men is Jon Hamm and the only lead on Revenge is Emily Van Camp.

Comment by YowzaPowza – June 1, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t say I agree. The first season started off with Peggy’s first day. She may have been in the background for some episodes, but she’s a co-lead.

Comment by Cal – June 1, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am pretty sure Madeline Stowe gets top billing on revenge so it makes sense she would submit in the lead category.

Comment by murley – June 1, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually Madeleine and Emily are both the leads. Everything it’s about them both. And in the credits Madeleine always appears first so.

Comment by Giovanni – June 1, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GUYS. Why am I not seeing Stana Katic up there hello, KILLSHOT SHE WON A FRIGGIN AWARD FOR THAT WAT.

Comment by AbbySmeeze – June 1, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um.. Excuse me… Where is Stana Katic?

Comment by A – June 1, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic. That is all. She had a banner season and I can think of at least 5 Emmy worthy episodes from her.

Comment by Nik – June 1, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stana Katic, for sure. Not only was Kill Shot amazing, but so were a number of other episodes this season that showcased her amazing talent. And Castle might get lumped in with the procedurals, but I would put it up against any other in the category in terms of character development over the course of four seasons.

Comment by Mandy – June 1, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmys are so overrated. They ignore almost all the best shows, especially the cop, fantasy and sci-fi shows.
    I’m really glad that Anna Torv is in the list but she deserved it so much more last year and she wasn’t even nominated so it’s pretty sure that they’re gonna ignore her… again. Even if she played like 10 characters in only one show.
    Anyway, my dream nominees are:
    Anna Torv, Lena Headey, Elizabeth McGovern, Claire Danes and Stana Katic.
    As much as I love Julianna Margulies and I was really happy that she won last year, this season was really disappointed and she didn’t have much to do.

Comment by Cécilia (@Kaelity) – June 1, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katey Sagal, man. Woman is like TV royalty by now. Can’t believe she’s never even been nominated once. She is also worthy of a voiceover acting for Futurama, imo. She is awesome.

Comment by Vince – June 1, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree more, SOA fans need to speak up! and vote for Katey!

Comment by Elle Sewell – June 1, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta I would be ecstatic with either Torv or Danes taking the win. Both of them were AMAZING. I also agree with all the poster asking where Stana is. She’s been consistently awesome and while I do think that Kill Shot was wrecked by some… odd writing, it didn’t damage her performance.

Comment by Miles – June 1, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My question is WHERE IS STANA KATIC ? Do those guys have seen Kill Shot ?? I’m sure not otherwise she’ll be in this list. This woman is so talented, “she can play with paper bag” . So why isn’t she in it ?
    All the Emmys for Stana !!!!!!

Comment by Princess Mana. ƸӜƷ (@SKM4ever) – June 1, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post