Kate Walsh Eyes Private Practice Exit -- Could the Show Go On Without Her?

Kate Walsh Leaving Private PracticeIf Private Practice carries on beyond next season it will likely do so without leading lady Kate Walsh.

The actress plans to depart the Grey’s Anatomy spinoff at the conclusion of the just-ordered 13-episode sixth season, our sister site Deadline reports.

It’s not clear if ABC and series creator Shonda Rhimes would keep the show going sans Walsh, but network execs stopped short of declaring the forthcoming season the show’s last.

The news comes just days after Walsh’s co-star, Tim Daly, announced on Twitter that he would not be returning in the fall.

1. As of late, this shows writing has been very poor. I love all the cast, but I cannot stand the lines they are given. Every single episode, I just sigh out loud, “C’mon Shonda, you can do better than that”. The only thing that has kept me hooked is the Char/Coop drama. Maybe a third spinoff with Char/Coop/Mason? I’m gonna miss Kate. She’s a funny lady.

2. Angie says:

Private Practice without Kate Walsh? Is this a joke? Of course, the show will never survive without her.

3. Kara says:

Kate Walsh is the Star of the Show. It started because of her and must end with her. I wouldn’t even consider the thought of watching it without her.
    Kate is hilarious. I hope she does a sitcom next. She would rock it.

4. beth says:

FREE KATE

5. Sara W. says:

It seems like every actor is wanting out of Shonda Rhimes’s shows. I don’t blame them one bit. The writing has become terrible on both GA and PP. I won’t continue watching PP without Kate Walsh. I think I have gained so much more respect for her for this. I am stuck watching GA til Pompeo, Dempsey, and Oh leave. Good Luck Kate! Go on to better things and I will watch!

6. PP without Addison? No thanks!

It’s like watching Grey’s without Meredith. Or Castle without… Castle.

7. Destiny says:

If she leaves, what will they do with Sam and Jake? Their storyline is all about Addison. I am Team Jaddison. I guess no hope for my ship. :( Ugh I will quit PP with no Addison, Addison/Henry, and Jaddison!

8. Ally says:

I probably won’t watch it anyways next year. It’s always been a bubble show for me–I watch it depending upon what else is on but it doesn’t bother me missing an episode. And there is so much else on Tuesdays next year–Hart of Dixie, Emily Owens, Vegas, The Mindy Project, Ben & Kate and Anger Management (it airs in Canada in the fall on a network here). I’m glad Parenthood is coming on on Mondays in Canada (it airs Tuesdays in the States).

It’s interesting to learn that the show is called Addison in Spanish-language countries and some other countries. What would those countries do if Addison left?

9. Erin says:

WTF? I will never watch PP without Addison! That is crazy!

10. Syn says:

Good thing Addie got her baby last season! No I won’t watch without her. It would be dumb to continue without her. I adore Kate Walsh. Look forward to see more Kate in other projects!

11. Ana says:

PP has been sucking since the second half of S4. and this question is pretty dumb, its like asking will you watch grey anatomy w/ out meredith?, im not at all a fan on meredith but she is the show, just like addison is.

12. Ana says:

The show should end next season. and they better show some character growth with addie and, well….all of them. addie should just be a family with sam and raise henry, i want to see a different storyline. addie and her man trouble is so boring now. thats why to me, season 5 was probably the worst season for pp.

13. Reilly says:

This article is totally ridiculous… Next season will be the last, Shonda said that she didn’t want the show to end this year, clearly hinting that she needed a few more episodes to wrap up the storylines… It’s PERFECTLY clear they won’t keep the show going sans Walsh !

14. Jenny says:

I’d still watch the show as long as they still have Charlotte/Cooper, however I doubt that it’d continue without Kate Walsh since Addison Montgomery has always been the show’s main character. I want the show to continue, so I don’t want Kate to leave :(

15. Jared says:

Kate Walsh is Private Practice..without her..there is no show..

16. Lucas says:

I would watch it without her as long as KaDee was on it!! KaDee is phenominal!!! As for Addison, I have always loved Addison, but she has not had a good storyline since the first season of Private Practice.

17. Candence says:

If Kate is out, I am out!

18. MLW says:

As much as Addy would be missed, Charlotte, Cooper and Amelia are the bigger draws for me. They are the can’t miss characters on this show.

19. Melissa says:

PP is worthless without Kate! It is Addie’s show!

20. susan says:

Addison Montgomery is the only character on TV I have ever cared about or was interested in. Kate Walsh is outstanding. There is no way I would watch the show without her. I don’t even pay attention when the others are on.

21. Emma says:

Terrible news! I can’t imagine not watching Addison grace my TV. I couldn’t watch PP anymore. It would be too sad.

22. Mindy says:

I was really wanting Addison and Jake together :( Not watching without Addison. The show without Addison just won’t be Private Practice for me. :(

23. Alex says:

Too bad it’s not Amelia leaving. But at least Kate can move on to better things.

24. it’s sad for those of you who want to her to go back on GA,if yall really loved addison and have cared to follow her story the main reason she left seattle was for a better life,she didnt like how how life was so she walked away and went to LA,since PP she has grown and have come to be happy and found who she really was,to go back to seattle would be just a waste of 6 years that addison have grew and changed into a better and happier person.I would love the show to go on for more years but this is one show that must not go on without its main lead,after all it is a spin off,so the only reason PP happen was for addison,so I am sad to say this but ABC please let this be the finale season.

• M says:

Thank you.
      There is no point for Addison to go back to Seattle. Let her have her happy ending with Henry.

• Brian says:

If something bad happens between her and Sam a return to Seattle would not break the premise. And look at what happened to Lexie in the Grey’s finale. This is obviously going to mess with Mark. Addison could come back to help Mark. No matter what happened between the two of them, they still care about each other and Addison is the only person who I think could make Mark happy again.

• O says:

Addison was the first woman to make Mark happy. But I would not want her back to Seattle just to be his landing pad. The attempt of 3×11 was bad enough.

• Brian says:

I don’t think they would make her his landing pad, I can honestly say the writing is so much stronger on GA and Addison’s character has really became a complete and total mess since leaving. I think bringing her back would be the only way to bring her character full circle. She is over Derek and let’s be honest she has had more drama in LA than she ever had in Seattle. Make Addison the character we fell in love with on Grey’s. As Richard Webber said in the series premier of Private Practice – “working at a private medical co-op, moving to LA, this is not my Addison. My Addison is a world class neo-natal surgeon. My Addison lives to cut.” The reason she left in the first place is she wasn’t promoted to chief of surgery. So we all know Owen Hunt is an idiot, who can’t do his job. Make Addison the chief and bring her back to the better show.
          Bring her back to where there is better writing and honestly better character. Please Shonda read these blogs listen to the fans

25. Taylor says:

Private Practice is one of my favorite shows but I would not watch if Addison left. I dont think the series should continue without Addison. It was spun off from Grey’s Anatomy FOR ADDISON. It makes no sense to continue the show without her. ABC and Shonda just need to make Season 6 the final season and give the show a proper sendoff. 13 episodes is more than enough time to wrap up the show.

26. wooster182 says:

I really hope she comes back to Grey’s. If not for Mark, at least for Alex. Now, those two were H-O-T!

27. Kaylee says:

You can’t have Private Practice without Kate Walsh. Ridiculous! Wouldn’t watch the show for a second without her.

28. tara says:

no kate? this show is doomed.

29. Amanda says:

ABC needs to call it the final season already. We all know it is. The show has never been good, but got worse. The ratings are terrible and will go lower. When Kate leaves, the ratings will be non-existent. I will be done when Kate is done. Good Luck to KW :) She deserves so much more than a bad TV show.

30. Alex says:

This show was focused on Addie at the beginning. Seeing it without her has no sense. The writers shouldn’t have screwed up so badly her life. Addisam shouldn’t have never happened. Private Practice for Kate is over, she can’t do anything more there.
    I would suport her coming back to Seattle and staying with Mark or Alex.

31. Deanna says:

The other characters are good, but this is Addison’s show. I don’t care about the others enough to watch the show without her.
    The show needs to end with her like it began.

32. Brittany L. says:

The show can’t and wouldn’t survive without Kate Walsh. Shonda needs to get over herself and face that the show is over. I don’t think Shonda ever cared about PP anyway. It was another paycheck. I have loved watching Addison for 7 years. It will be hard to say farewell but I think it is right time. I really want to see Kate in a different role than Addie.

33. Cassie says:

Kate CANT LEAVE THE SHOW! SHE IS PRIVATE PRACTICE! KILL THE SHOW! IT CAN’T GO ON WITHOUT HER!

34. LW says:

This show is about Addison’s life. It is the premise. If she goes, the whole show will be destroyed. There will be a huge whole.
    It won’t last with the others left. Kate Walsh is who keeps the showing going.

35. Brian says:

I’m just gonna say that if Private PRactice ends next season, we should start a petition, a letter, something, I don’t know what, but I don’t want to see the end of Addison. I love her as a character and would love to see her return to Grey’s or at least make regular guest appearences because I truly love her character. Honestly her interactions with the characters on PP are actually kind of boring. I personally prefer her with the cast on Grey’s. I think with only two more seasons left with Grey’s and one of PP. It would be a perfect idea to send Addison back to where she started and end it all in a circle. And honestly now that Lexie is gone, the only person who should be with Mark is Addison

36. Andrea says:

Addie is my favorite character on PP. She can’t just leave. She is the main character!
    I don’t want to see the show without her. It would be crap!

37. Lulu says:

Please cancel it! Let Addy have a happy ending with Henry! Give Kate a new show!

38. Patty says:

Kate is way too talented for the show. I don’t think many would miss the show if it was over. I won’t.

39. Keri says:

WTH? No there can’t be a show without Kate Walsh.
    I wouldn’t care about or watch Private Practice if she wasn’t on it.

40. Emery says:

It’s not going to work without Addison. I adore Addison! I mean this show started for her. The other char were just made up around her. I only like them because of Addison. I would like them with no Addison. Addison is always there to save the day..the practice and their lives. The show would make no sense without her. No Addie No Show!
    I wish Kate luck! I love her LOTS!

41. Dakota says:

Addy is this the best character. The others aren’t entertaining. Can’t be a show without Addy! She is the star!

42. hildah says:

i looove private practice and i do think that kate plays a big role in the show but there are so many other charactors that i love.it doesnt have to end because she is gone.she doesnt make private practice what it is they all do and i think the show MUST go on without her.