Kate Walsh Eyes Private Practice Exit — Could the Show Go On Without Her?

Get More: News

Kate Walsh Leaving Private PracticeIf Private Practice carries on beyond next season it will likely do so without leading lady Kate Walsh.

The actress plans to depart the Grey’s Anatomy spinoff at the conclusion of the just-ordered 13-episode sixth season, our sister site Deadline reports.

It’s not clear if ABC and series creator Shonda Rhimes would keep the show going sans Walsh, but network execs stopped short of declaring the forthcoming season the show’s last.

The news comes just days after Walsh’s co-star, Tim Daly, announced on Twitter that he would not be returning in the fall.

Comments (163)

• As of late, this shows writing has been very poor. I love all the cast, but I cannot stand the lines they are given. Every single episode, I just sigh out loud, “C’mon Shonda, you can do better than that”. The only thing that has kept me hooked is the Char/Coop drama. Maybe a third spinoff with Char/Coop/Mason? I’m gonna miss Kate. She’s a funny lady.

Comment by Katy Johnson (@katy_j314) – May 31, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice without Kate Walsh? Is this a joke? Of course, the show will never survive without her.

Comment by Angie – May 31, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate Walsh is the Star of the Show. It started because of her and must end with her. I wouldn’t even consider the thought of watching it without her.
    Kate is hilarious. I hope she does a sitcom next. She would rock it.

Comment by Kara – May 31, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FREE KATE

Comment by beth – May 31, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems like every actor is wanting out of Shonda Rhimes’s shows. I don’t blame them one bit. The writing has become terrible on both GA and PP. I won’t continue watching PP without Kate Walsh. I think I have gained so much more respect for her for this. I am stuck watching GA til Pompeo, Dempsey, and Oh leave. Good Luck Kate! Go on to better things and I will watch!

Comment by Sara W. – May 31, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PP without Addison? No thanks!

It’s like watching Grey’s without Meredith. Or Castle without… Castle.

Comment by Mark Almighty – May 31, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she leaves, what will they do with Sam and Jake? Their storyline is all about Addison. I am Team Jaddison. I guess no hope for my ship. :( Ugh I will quit PP with no Addison, Addison/Henry, and Jaddison!

Comment by Destiny – May 31, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I probably won’t watch it anyways next year. It’s always been a bubble show for me–I watch it depending upon what else is on but it doesn’t bother me missing an episode. And there is so much else on Tuesdays next year–Hart of Dixie, Emily Owens, Vegas, The Mindy Project, Ben & Kate and Anger Management (it airs in Canada in the fall on a network here). I’m glad Parenthood is coming on on Mondays in Canada (it airs Tuesdays in the States).

It’s interesting to learn that the show is called Addison in Spanish-language countries and some other countries. What would those countries do if Addison left?

Comment by Ally – May 31, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF? I will never watch PP without Addison! That is crazy!

Comment by Erin – May 31, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good thing Addie got her baby last season! No I won’t watch without her. It would be dumb to continue without her. I adore Kate Walsh. Look forward to see more Kate in other projects!

Comment by Syn – June 1, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PP has been sucking since the second half of S4. and this question is pretty dumb, its like asking will you watch grey anatomy w/ out meredith?, im not at all a fan on meredith but she is the show, just like addison is.

Comment by Ana – June 1, 2012 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show should end next season. and they better show some character growth with addie and, well….all of them. addie should just be a family with sam and raise henry, i want to see a different storyline. addie and her man trouble is so boring now. thats why to me, season 5 was probably the worst season for pp.

Comment by Ana – June 1, 2012 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This article is totally ridiculous… Next season will be the last, Shonda said that she didn’t want the show to end this year, clearly hinting that she needed a few more episodes to wrap up the storylines… It’s PERFECTLY clear they won’t keep the show going sans Walsh !

Comment by Reilly – June 1, 2012 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d still watch the show as long as they still have Charlotte/Cooper, however I doubt that it’d continue without Kate Walsh since Addison Montgomery has always been the show’s main character. I want the show to continue, so I don’t want Kate to leave :(

Comment by Jenny – June 1, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate Walsh is Private Practice..without her..there is no show..

Comment by Jared – June 1, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch it without her as long as KaDee was on it!! KaDee is phenominal!!! As for Addison, I have always loved Addison, but she has not had a good storyline since the first season of Private Practice.

Comment by Lucas – June 1, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Kate is out, I am out!

Comment by Candence – June 1, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as Addy would be missed, Charlotte, Cooper and Amelia are the bigger draws for me. They are the can’t miss characters on this show.

Comment by MLW – June 1, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PP is worthless without Kate! It is Addie’s show!

Comment by Melissa – June 1, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addison Montgomery is the only character on TV I have ever cared about or was interested in. Kate Walsh is outstanding. There is no way I would watch the show without her. I don’t even pay attention when the others are on.

Comment by susan – June 1, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(
    Terrible news! I can’t imagine not watching Addison grace my TV. I couldn’t watch PP anymore. It would be too sad.

Comment by Emma – June 1, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I hope she finds something else soon!

Comment by Summer – June 1, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really wanting Addison and Jake together :( Not watching without Addison. The show without Addison just won’t be Private Practice for me. :(

Comment by Mindy – June 1, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad it’s not Amelia leaving. But at least Kate can move on to better things.

Comment by Alex – June 1, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s sad for those of you who want to her to go back on GA,if yall really loved addison and have cared to follow her story the main reason she left seattle was for a better life,she didnt like how how life was so she walked away and went to LA,since PP she has grown and have come to be happy and found who she really was,to go back to seattle would be just a waste of 6 years that addison have grew and changed into a better and happier person.I would love the show to go on for more years but this is one show that must not go on without its main lead,after all it is a spin off,so the only reason PP happen was for addison,so I am sad to say this but ABC please let this be the finale season.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – June 1, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you.
      There is no point for Addison to go back to Seattle. Let her have her happy ending with Henry.

Comment by M – June 2, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If something bad happens between her and Sam a return to Seattle would not break the premise. And look at what happened to Lexie in the Grey’s finale. This is obviously going to mess with Mark. Addison could come back to help Mark. No matter what happened between the two of them, they still care about each other and Addison is the only person who I think could make Mark happy again.

Comment by Brian – June 4, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Addison was the first woman to make Mark happy. But I would not want her back to Seattle just to be his landing pad. The attempt of 3×11 was bad enough.

Comment by O – June 7, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think they would make her his landing pad, I can honestly say the writing is so much stronger on GA and Addison’s character has really became a complete and total mess since leaving. I think bringing her back would be the only way to bring her character full circle. She is over Derek and let’s be honest she has had more drama in LA than she ever had in Seattle. Make Addison the character we fell in love with on Grey’s. As Richard Webber said in the series premier of Private Practice – “working at a private medical co-op, moving to LA, this is not my Addison. My Addison is a world class neo-natal surgeon. My Addison lives to cut.” The reason she left in the first place is she wasn’t promoted to chief of surgery. So we all know Owen Hunt is an idiot, who can’t do his job. Make Addison the chief and bring her back to the better show.
          Bring her back to where there is better writing and honestly better character. Please Shonda read these blogs listen to the fans

Comment by Brian – June 11, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice is one of my favorite shows but I would not watch if Addison left. I dont think the series should continue without Addison. It was spun off from Grey’s Anatomy FOR ADDISON. It makes no sense to continue the show without her. ABC and Shonda just need to make Season 6 the final season and give the show a proper sendoff. 13 episodes is more than enough time to wrap up the show.

Comment by Taylor – June 1, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope she comes back to Grey’s. If not for Mark, at least for Alex. Now, those two were H-O-T!

Comment by wooster182 – June 1, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t have Private Practice without Kate Walsh. Ridiculous! Wouldn’t watch the show for a second without her.

Comment by Kaylee – June 1, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no kate? this show is doomed.

Comment by tara – June 2, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC needs to call it the final season already. We all know it is. The show has never been good, but got worse. The ratings are terrible and will go lower. When Kate leaves, the ratings will be non-existent. I will be done when Kate is done. Good Luck to KW :) She deserves so much more than a bad TV show.

Comment by Amanda – June 2, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was focused on Addie at the beginning. Seeing it without her has no sense. The writers shouldn’t have screwed up so badly her life. Addisam shouldn’t have never happened. Private Practice for Kate is over, she can’t do anything more there.
    I would suport her coming back to Seattle and staying with Mark or Alex.

Comment by Alex – June 2, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Brian – June 11, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The other characters are good, but this is Addison’s show. I don’t care about the others enough to watch the show without her.
    The show needs to end with her like it began.

Comment by Deanna – June 2, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show can’t and wouldn’t survive without Kate Walsh. Shonda needs to get over herself and face that the show is over. I don’t think Shonda ever cared about PP anyway. It was another paycheck. I have loved watching Addison for 7 years. It will be hard to say farewell but I think it is right time. I really want to see Kate in a different role than Addie.

Comment by Brittany L. – June 2, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate CANT LEAVE THE SHOW! SHE IS PRIVATE PRACTICE! KILL THE SHOW! IT CAN’T GO ON WITHOUT HER!

Comment by Cassie – June 3, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is about Addison’s life. It is the premise. If she goes, the whole show will be destroyed. There will be a huge whole.
    It won’t last with the others left. Kate Walsh is who keeps the showing going.

Comment by LW – June 3, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just gonna say that if Private PRactice ends next season, we should start a petition, a letter, something, I don’t know what, but I don’t want to see the end of Addison. I love her as a character and would love to see her return to Grey’s or at least make regular guest appearences because I truly love her character. Honestly her interactions with the characters on PP are actually kind of boring. I personally prefer her with the cast on Grey’s. I think with only two more seasons left with Grey’s and one of PP. It would be a perfect idea to send Addison back to where she started and end it all in a circle. And honestly now that Lexie is gone, the only person who should be with Mark is Addison

Comment by Brian – June 4, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addie is my favorite character on PP. She can’t just leave. She is the main character!
    I don’t want to see the show without her. It would be crap!

Comment by Andrea – June 4, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please cancel it! Let Addy have a happy ending with Henry! Give Kate a new show!

Comment by Lulu – June 4, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate is way too talented for the show. I don’t think many would miss the show if it was over. I won’t.

Comment by Patty – June 4, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTH? No there can’t be a show without Kate Walsh.
    I wouldn’t care about or watch Private Practice if she wasn’t on it.

Comment by Keri – June 5, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not going to work without Addison. I adore Addison! I mean this show started for her. The other char were just made up around her. I only like them because of Addison. I would like them with no Addison. Addison is always there to save the day..the practice and their lives. The show would make no sense without her. No Addie No Show!
    I wish Kate luck! I love her LOTS!

Comment by Emery – June 5, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addy is this the best character. The others aren’t entertaining. Can’t be a show without Addy! She is the star!

Comment by Dakota – June 7, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i looove private practice and i do think that kate plays a big role in the show but there are so many other charactors that i love.it doesnt have to end because she is gone.she doesnt make private practice what it is they all do and i think the show MUST go on without her.

Comment by hildah – August 15, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post