Kate Walsh Eyes Private Practice Exit -- Could the Show Go On Without Her?

Kate Walsh Leaving Private PracticeIf Private Practice carries on beyond next season it will likely do so without leading lady Kate Walsh.

The actress plans to depart the Grey’s Anatomy spinoff at the conclusion of the just-ordered 13-episode sixth season, our sister site Deadline reports.

It’s not clear if ABC and series creator Shonda Rhimes would keep the show going sans Walsh, but network execs stopped short of declaring the forthcoming season the show’s last.

The news comes just days after Walsh’s co-star, Tim Daly, announced on Twitter that he would not be returning in the fall.

1. JD says:

she looks sad in the picture

2. George says:

I thought I remember reading awhile back this one of the reasons why the show was only renewed for 13 episodes in the first place. She had made it clear that she didn’t want to do more than that.

• Kristi says:

I don’t think she had a choice in the matter. ABC wanted Brothers and Sisters to get a 13 episode run and the actors refused and ABC cancelled because they didn’t want to commit to a full season. I think the same thing happened here except the actors agreed to do potentially only 13. I think its just spin that its her decision to only do 13.

3. Jessica says:

Time for the show to end.

4. Daniela says:

I hoped Kate Walsh was going to return as Addison to GREY’S after the sixth and last season of PRIVATE PRACTICE. She would be the only woman I could accept as a new love interest for Mark now that Lexie is gone.

• Amy says:

If she goes back to GA, she steps back from leading her own show, to being part of the ensemble again which I don’t think Kate is up to anymore. GA already has a title character/lead and to have been able to have her own show, then go backwards is why I’m certain she just wants to move away from that now.

• Kristen says:

Well, if she could cope with her ego, I wouldn’t mind seeing Kate Walsh back on Grey’s Anatomy. It’d be nice, and she is the only person I wouldn’t mind seeing with Mark, although I’m really stuck on her and Sam. Maybe Addison and Sam can both go back to Seattle! Although then you’d have Yang and Sam as heart surgeons. Hmmmm.

• Caro says:

AMEN, too! I couldn’t agree more! But I doubt Kate Walsh will opt to return to Grey’s, though.

• lorna says:

Agreed Daniela. I remember reading in a tabloid [not saying theres any merit to it buit…] and it said she was feeling overworked on PP and missed her GA storylines and castmates. S he should return for Mark since Lexie is dead. Maybe this has to do with Timy Daly being let go??

• guest says:

I’m sorry but I don’t want to see Mark turn into the new Alex. Seeing him happy with a new love now that the love of his life is dead would just make me sad.

• rebecca says:

I thought the same thing. If she does leave.. maybe a few guest episodes of Grey’s? I would accept her with Mark (probably the only woman I would) but I really liked her and Alex. Karev needs some loving!

• D. says:

Lol. No. I don’t want her in stinking Shondaland ever again.

And by the way, she is not a replacement for Lexie Grey. In fact, that would be an insult to the Addison character to me.

• tam says:

Lexie just can not be gone…I think that whole plane crash will be a bad dream that Grey wakes up from. Lexie was a positive part of the show and I have been waiting for her and Mark to reunite..that has been a relationship in the waiting as i am sure other fans of Grey agree.

• greysfan says:

Well yes but i don’t see that happening. I loved her on Grey’s and did miss her when she left but i don’t think coming back is the option. Its like a step back for her (the character that is). Yes she could guest spot now and then but that is all i would think despite loving her to death. lol

• Mymy says:

So So Agree :D

5. Rolfe says:

This should be the end.

6. guestofseth says:

This is a shame, I was hoping she would return to Grey’s Anatomy after PP finished, for at least an arc at least, but if she’s ready to move on I doubt that will happen now.

7. erin says:

I would gladly watch without her… I think that would make the show better. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever found a leading character less likable and harder to root for than Addison Montgomery. I can’t take the whining, the bed hopping, and the self-pity… she drives me crazy!

• suzanne says:

I totally agree.

• jenn says:

Completely agree with this and I think she has zero chemistry with Taye Diggs. The only reason I still watch is my love for Charlotte & Cooper. They should be the central characters of Private Practice they give the show it’s “heart”,

• Nara says:

They don’t give the show the ratings it needs though. I love them as much as the next person, but Kate Walsh is the biggest name tied to the show and if she’s gone the ratings will most likely drop again. The show almost got cancelled this season. There’s no way it’s gonna get better ratings with two of its core characters and the biggest name actress gone.

• Me says:

Amen to that.

• Vicki says:

Totally agree as well!!

• Lisa says:

I absolutely agree too! And couldn’t have said any of the above any better. I also love Charlotte & Cooper.

• Bean says:

I agree! I would watch PP especially if they let Cooper and Charlotte be the lead characters. Their story limes have been excellent lately. Tired of Addison whining, sleeping with EVERYBODY every other episode and Violet really needs to grow up too! Sheldon can stay and Amelia can stay, but this show definately needs an overhaul.

• erin says:

That would be my ideal situation as well. A show about Charlotte & Cooper with Amelia/Sheldon as supporting cast and everyone else gone. I’d even be ok with Sam and Jake staying, as long as Addison is gone!

• Liz says:

I completely agree, Erin! She’s been bugging me for at least a couple of seasons. No woman so self-centered and immature should be able to adopt a baby, and when does she even see the kid??!!

• Dakota says:

No show without Addy!

• deb says:

Why do you watch it if this is true? Seems like a pretty big waste of time.

8. Joan says:

Love Kate Walsh, hate the show. Been watching since s1 because of her and Grey’s and apart from a few good, emotional moments, it’s all very… boring. The cast, on the other hand, is amazing. KaDee Strickland, Amy Brenneman, Caterina Scorsone and Kate herself… all incredible actresses.
    I can’t imagine PP without Addison, though. The show only exists because of her, and I feel like it would be kinda stupid to go on without her. And 6 seasons is a respectable run… better end it already.

• Caro says:

I agree. Love Kate, hate PP. It’s way too soapy. Everybody sleeps with everybody, I totally hate that and it’s unrealistic that everybody’s ex is working with everybody’s ex. That only happens in The Bold & The Beautiful and that’s too weird as well. I once made a list who was sleeping with whom and it’s really crazy to see that everybody hooked up with at least two other major characters! So unfortunately I stopped watching a long time ago. Too bad because I wanted the next Kate Walsh show to succeed. Now I only hope she will leave and find a great show so that I can watch Kate on tv again. And yes, I’d hope for her to return to Grey’s to be with Mark, but I assume he’ll die and KW will have had enough of GA and PP.

• D. says:

Completely with you in the love-Kate-hate-PP camp. So done.

9. S. says:

Show started off ok. now it’s really really bad, horrible writing. kinda hate myself for watching cause it annoys me all the time! so illogical and bad! Kate is amazing and the only reason I still watch it.
    Can’t wait to see her in other & better projects!

• Caro says:

I agree with S. But I stopped watching a long time ago. It gave me the creeps to watch such horrible writing. But Kate is amazing, that is true.

10. fabinpink says:

Good for you Kate, now I am free of Shondaland for good. Lol. There is no chance the show will go on without her.

11. Becks says:

Thank god, when I read the headline I thought it meant she was leaving before the 13 episodes! No more Tim Daly-like incidents please!

12. Jake says:

Just make these 13 episodes the last episodes of the show! I Cant imagine watching this show without Addison.

13. Nora says:

No, I’m not going to watch once she’s gone.

14. BisouBisou says:

Shonda Rhimes is the worst show runner, she deserted Private Practice for the crap that is Scandal, and Greys has totally gone down hill. If she does a series based on Teddy she has truly lost her mind.

• Rolfe says:

Scandal is fantastic. So much that ABC is campaigning for Emmy nominations. I would also argue that this has been one of Grey’s better seasons. Shonda is certainly not the worst show-runner.

• Wendy says:

If you had taken just a second look at the submitted list, you would have realised that ABC pretty much submitted everyone and everything. Pretty much.

• Scandal is AMAZING. You crazy!

• Gee says:

Scandal rocks! It’s definitely not crappy.

• Julie says:

I agree. Shonda is crazy about Scandal and she does awful things with Private Practice! I love this show. But it seems Shonda doesn’t care about PP anymore.
      And of course, I won’t watch PP without Addie. I love Charlotte and Cooper and Amelia and Violet and Jake BUT there is not Private Practice without Kate.

15. Alex says:

I only watch the show for Paul, KaDee, and Caterina. Brian Benben is good too. I like Kate Walsh, but I’d definitely watch the show without her. I’m personally tired of this whole Addison, Sam, Jake love triangle. Let Addison and Henry be happy together.

16. Caro says:

I think she should do it, leave PP and invest in a great role instead of this soapy stuff where everybody sleeps with everybody! It’s a waste of talent, Kate Walsh is a beautiful woman and an amazing actress so she deserves an amazing role, great acting and great story lines. So I’d say: GO! I’m happy for her she’ll leave and hope she’ll be back soon in a great show. Something like “The Good Wife”, that’s a great show. Maybe something similair?

17. Kasidy says:

I love Kate Walsh. Although I really want her to return to GREY’s, I still think she should do whatever she wants to. :(

18. JT says:

Honestly, this series has run its course. Each season they seem desperate to find anything new for the characters.

19. Kenzie says:

I only watch for Addison/Kate Walsh. She is the show. There is no show without her. I mean DUH that is why ABC only renewed it for 13 episodes.

20. m says:

Shoot I was hoping that she could come back for the tenth (and possibly final season) of Grey’s Anatomy as a series regular. This could mean that she is not open for that. Her return to Grey’s is the only thing left that could bring me back to that show since I refuse to watch it because Lexie died and Teddy got fired.

21. Alex Agostini says:

Don’t watch it now. So no biggy.

22. Alex Agostini says:

But would have liked seeing her back at “Grey’s Anatomy.” Does not look like that’ll happen.

23. I totally agree with Jake , @katewalsh should make those 13 episode & Close the Serie With a GOOD Ending – Because , as many of you said before, She kinda Co-Created this show, with out her, the evolution of all the others co-stars wouldn’t be THAt much of an interest now. We used to watch this show & we continue watching it , because we wanted to know how DR. Addisson Montgomery would manage her life around with the BABY’S PROBLEMA and with her Sister in law dilemma surrounded by all of the cast of Private Practice. so This being said, If Our DEar Kate is really tired of all this, it’s better to let it go than to feel pressured to FInish The Serie another way!
    We WIll STILL LOVE YOU KATE WALSH ♥ ♥ YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB!!! & So Did All the Crew ! =D

• Agnes says:

She did not co-create the show, she did not write anything, she is just actress, not a creator. Amy Brenneman is the one who was able to create her own show(judging amy), but not walsh.

24. MuzzikLvr says:

I would happily watch Private Practice without Kate Walsh, but it’s a moot point, because I won’t watch it without Tim Daly. Shonda Rhimes could win me over again though with a spin-off for Paul Adelstein, KaDee Strickland and the boy who plays Mason.

25. Ana says:

I vote no. Because this show has a smaller cast than Greys and its really about Addison. However, I do love Charlotte and Cooper and Amelia. The show would need a complete overhaul because its looking tired already. Sheldon is kind of creepy going after much younger Amelia. Violet is just too insufferable with all her whining and Sam is an ass. Basically, they would have to strip down the show and repackage it. I would check it out only out of loyalty. But Shonda needs to back the heck off. She’s too close to her characters and she’s losing perspective. Sam and Addison are terrible together, but she likes Taye so she pushed it. Then she brought in Benjamin Bratt because she loves him too. Regardless of the fact that he’s not resonating with viewers. And killing Lexie was lethal. Let’s see how the show does in the Fall. And although I loathed the character, apparently Pete had a lot of fans that are upset he’s being let go. The ‘its my show and I will do whatever I want’ attitude needs to stop. And I hope ABC stops billing Scandal as a Shonda Rhimes show. Her name has become toxic to fans. It started at the end of S3 when she swore that Addison would not be leaving. She has lost credibility with the fans and that can only hurt the shows.

• Gee says:

Killing Lexie made sense as she wanted to leave the show

• Gretchen says:

Why is Sheldon/Amelia creepy, but Lexie/Mark not? I’d guess there is less of age difference in the Sheldon/Amelia pairing and Sheldon’s not a former womanizing manchild. Can’t stand Mark, and Lexie was BORING.

• Agnes says:

I dunno but look at the actors age: sheldon and amelia – 25 years age difference
        mark and lexie- 10 years age difference

• M says:

More like 17 than 10. Lexie is at least six, more likely seven or more, years younger than Meredith, given that Mer was five when her parents separated.

26. Ashlee says:

Kate Walsh is the SHOW! I love Kate Walsh and won’t watch PP without her.

27. rowan77 says:

The show isn’t going to get a back-nine pick-up. The network obviously lowered what they were willing to pay per episode – even with only 13 episodes. I think Walsh finally sees the writing on the wall and would rather announce it’s time to go instead of sinking slowly on a show that has been on too long with too much bad writing.

28. Laurie says:

I watch for Walsh and the Addison character. Will no longer watch after she is gone, but I don’t think the show will continue. Love Kate, will follow her anywhere.

29. Deion says:

Private Practice is a show about Addison after Derek, Seattle, and everything. At the end of her story, the show should end. She’s got her baby, at the end of the 13th episode and she should have her man (As long as it isn’t Sam) and ride off into the sunset.

30. PutAforkINit says:

How’d this crap show even get renewed for a 6th?
    Uggh
    America — wake up and watch better shows

31. All I need is Charlotte.

32. Emma says:

I love Private Practice, but with no Addy there is no show IMO!

33. Hojana says:

I wouldn’t watch Private Practice with kate Walsh, its just that bad now.

34. A says:

I think the only way the show could possibly continue without Kate is if Caterina Scorsone becomes the front runner of the show and shifts focus from Addison. She has more than proven herself on this show this past season and as Amelia and even though I love Addison, this past season has made me want to see Amelia more and more on both Private Practice and Grey’s.

35. Mena says:

I haven’t watched this since series 2. I don’t like her, she’s gotten even worst and I think she’s a horrible leading actress. Actually the only likable characters are Charlotte and Coop.

36. N says:

I watch for Char/Coop! Not sam & Addison!

37. Ruby says:

You should have had a third option: “I stopped watching this show a long time ago.” I love Kate Walsh. But this show has wasted her brilliance on a storyline about a whiny woman who can’t think about anything but having a baby. It’s an insult to women, the way she’s been written, and Kate Walsh (and the female viewers) deserve far better than this. This show was decent the first couple of years, and Paul Adelstein and KaDee Strickland are AMAZING and I’ll be sad to see those actors without jobs, but they deserve better as well. I’m not a person who normally goes online to complain about the way shows are run because I understand the difficulty of coming up with new material on a weekly basis. But this show actually offended me at the way Addison went from being a strong, cool, single woman to a blubbering idiot who only cared about men and babies. Such a shame, especially from Shonda Rimes.

38. Dee says:

Addie is the only reason worth watching the show. Kate Walsh is amazing. No Addie/Kate = No PP.

39. eduardo says:

It’s time to end , I love the fifth season, It was the best of show and she’s the star, you can do the show without her but never going to be the same(and anybody It’s going to watch)

40. Kris says:

Private Practice is terrible show and a waste of talent. Congrats to KW for deciding the leave the mess. I will leave with her. Kate is an amazing actress and has a wonderful personality. She is much better than this show.

41. Anna says:

Without Kate, Private Practice is nothing!

42. Sam says:

I could do without her weird facial expressions.

43. Giovanni says:

I live in Mexico, and here the show is called “Addison” so that will be a problem.

44. tiffany says:

I watch this show in spite of Kate Walsh. KaDee, Caterina, and Paul FTW.

45. Atawewe says:

Nope! The show wont be the same without her.

46. Jim says:

Once she’s gone, they could replace her with a real star. She’s the lamest part of the show anyway.

47. Liz says:

Kate is the best thing about PP. I couldn’t stand it without her.

48. Gina says:

The shows ratings are terrible. I was shocked it got a 13 episode order. It will not survive the departures of Tim Daly, especially Kate Walsh. After Kate’s time is up on the show, I will be done and free.

49. As much as I love Kate Walsh, now that Addison has her baby her story is over. I would continue watching if the show began to center on Char/Coop. They have truly evolved and it would be fun to see them to continue to evolve.

• Christy says:

Agreed!! I like them the best right now anyway. Charlotte and Mason are pretty much the sweetest thing ever and that would give them time for that baby we keep hoping for.

50. Lara S. says:

Addy and her baby boy is the only storyline I watch for and care about. The others don’t interest me at all. I will be gone. Kate Walsh is extremely talented and lovely, so I will watch support whatever she pursues.