Emmys

Emmys 2012: The Drama Actor Race in Review, Including Our Dream Nominees

After sitting out of the race last year due to Breaking Bad‘s extended hiatus between seasons, Bryan Cranston reclaims his familiar perch as the frontrunner of Emmy’s Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series derby. But is he a lock to win? Not necessarily. The three-time champ faces stiff competition from Homeland‘s Damian Lewis as well as Emmy darling Kelsey Grammer, whose twisted turn on Starz’ Boss earned him a Golden Globe earlier this year. And don’t rule out possible sentimental dark horse Hugh Laurie, who is angling for his seventh — and final — nod as Dr. Gregory House.

More Emmy Races In Review | Outstanding Drama Series | Lead Drama Actress | Supporting Drama Actor | Supporting Drama Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Supporting Comedy Actor | Supporting Comedy Actress | Outstanding Reality-Competition Series | Outstanding Movie/Miniseries

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Friday for our preview of the Lead Drama Actress race!

Tags:

Comments (290)

• I gotta say I’m surprised you guys included Andrew Lincoln as a dream nominee. I don’t even watch Mad Men but figured you would have Jon Hamm instead.

Comment by D'Arcy – May 31, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jon Hamm is on there

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nevermind…I think I missed the part about “dream nominees” lol

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • DUDE. You clearly don’t get the concept of this gallery? There’s a difference between being mentioned and being a dream nominee. You “corrected” someone yesterday as well. xD

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 31, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • DUDE…you clearly didn’t see me say nevermind.

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andrew Lincoln is painfully terrible anyway.

Comment by Laa – May 31, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Laa is painfully terrible at recognizing talent.

Comment by Tania – May 31, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ditto.

Comment by Giovanni – May 31, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL…how true. Andrew Lincoln is a very talented actor. You obviously have not seen most of his work like I have.

Comment by Mitzi – June 9, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, Mad Men has got to be the worst show ever to win an emmy.

Comment by Nick – June 1, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • beg to differ. andrew lincoln is what made walking dead the engaging human drama it is.

Comment by bwffx – June 15, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gotta say, I’m surprised you guys included Hugh Laurie…

Comment by Shepherd – May 31, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, it WAS his final season and he has never won. In fact, he’s the only person who has a chance to beat Bryan Cranston, who was in what is probably the best season of television from any drama ever. If this isn’t a huge year for Breaking Bad, there’s going to be a major revolt.

Comment by KevyB – June 1, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • im not into sentimental winners and thats what Hugh Laurie would be…This award BELONGS to Bryan Cranston,period

Comment by DawgDaze (@drdjr24) – June 12, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You seem to be pretty alone in this. Right now he’s in second place after Bryan Cranston.

Comment by cen – June 1, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • what surprise??? common Hugh deserves a Emmy more than the other nomines!!!!!

Comment by aleraven – June 12, 2012 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Krause!!

Comment by Lena – May 31, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys picked Charlie Hunnam, Jason Isaacs and Andrew Lincoln? Come. On.

Buscemi, Cranston, Grammer, Hamm, Krause, Lewis.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 31, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure their “dream” list tries not to include the obvious suspects.

Comment by Danyelle – May 31, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now that I finally understand how this works (see above lol), I would assume the same. Dream Nominees would seem to be ones that you wouldn’t think would be shoo-ins for nominations. Cranston and Buscemi will most likely be on there. And I’d think Hamm as well. But there could be a few surprises. Though, Cranston should have it in the bag after another phenomenal season.

Comment by Mike – May 31, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Obvious is right. Marin’s list is a laundry list of powerhouse actors, but you don’t even have to have watched TV this seasion to come up with it. Having watched Sons and The Walking Dead (arguably the two best dramas of the season, after Homeland), I totally agree with the dream nods for Hunnam and Lincoln. And Isaacs has deserved an Emmy since Brotherhood.

Comment by MrMank – May 31, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Reading your comment was painful. To see someone saying that The Walking Dead is “arguably one of the two best dramas of the season”, especially after THAT particular second season, is almost heartbreaking.

Comment by Manuel – May 31, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Shut up Manuel.

Comment by Giovanni – May 31, 2012 07:46 PM PDT
    • I notice you have singled out the English actors here. It just so happens that their performances were actually better than most of the other ones you mentioned (maybe not Hunnam though :S )

Comment by Ray – June 9, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert from OUAT

Comment by veronic – May 31, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure that, given his screen time, Robert Carlyle would fall under “Supporting Actor”. The above, however, is a list of possible contenders in the Lead Actor category. ;-) I figure the actor from Once – mostly – corresponding to that would be Josh Dallas or Jared Gilmore (cringe), and I don’t think anyone would nominate them.

Comment by Lea – May 31, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Jared Gilmore would be supporting too. Though if he were nominated, I would lose all faith in humanity…

Comment by This – May 31, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^^Totally agree! Actually, except for Robert Carlyle (and maybe Ginnifer Goodwin), Once’s complete cast really doesn’t exactly knock my socks off…

Comment by Lea – June 1, 2012 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agree, Robert Carlyles acting is a different league. He is probably the closest to earn an Emmy nomination.
            I know it is a dangerous thing to say here on TVline but i would put Jennifer Morrison on your list too Lea. The Mad Hatter episode and the final 4 episodes were probably the best performances of her career and she stood out. JM is doing a great job in portraying the flawed, female hero who doesn`t want to be the hero of said story. Even some critics acknowledged her performance so i´m not all that alone with my opnion (with critics i don`t mean some random fangirls with a blog). If it is Emmy worthy, very likely not.
            I don`t want to complain about the other actors,i like them all. I just like that Jens acting is not so theatrical. It is a matter of taste i guess.

Comment by Pia – June 1, 2012 05:51 AM PDT
          • Sadly not going to happen. Horror, Sci-Fi, the supernatural. Just like at the Oscars it always gets ignored. Or dismissed as not serious or for kids/teenagers.

Comment by Keenan – June 1, 2012 07:10 AM PDT
      • Weeks ago, ABC announced who was being submitted to be considered for nomination in which categories. Robert Carlyle has been submitted for Lead Actor. Indeed, he was the lead in several Once Upon A Time episodes…and his performances are unmatched by any actor currently on TV. If they fail to nominate an actor of his caliber, it is sheer stupidity on the academy’s part.

Comment by Nicole – June 2, 2012 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston, hands down, but Tim Olyphant is electric as Givens, he should get a nom.
    others: Lincoln, Buscemi, Peter Dinklage for lead, he’s earned it.

Comment by Lia – May 31, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Peter Dinklage!!

Comment by GDV – May 31, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Peter Dinklage has been put forth in the supporting actor category.

Comment by BMC9999 – May 31, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dinklage as the first credit this year – definitely the leading man.
          And definitely some of the best acting of the year.

Comment by digitalred93 – June 1, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dinklage getting nominated as Supporting Actor would be kind of surprising for me, actually. After Ned was killed last season, he kind of became a major player in this season, including a lot of character development and tons of strong scenes, and, as the NY Times puts it, “by default” received top billing. I think he is the closest to a lead actor, although by no means enjoys the same amount of focus Ned did (In fact, this season’s focus is kind of splintered).

Comment by Lea – May 31, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I understand, from another article I read, that PD has already been put up in supporting again. He and his “people” are no fools. They realize he would be a cinch in the supporting category.

Comment by Audrey Lewis – June 2, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Peter Dinklage? Lia, I see you have excellent taste for talent! I wholeheartedly agree with you. His role on GoT has already garnered him an Emmy for Best Supporting, but I feel that he steals the show everytime he’s in front of the camera1

Comment by Betsy Kimble – May 31, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree; Dinklage has got top billing now. I could see him being sent to supporting since he probably has the best chance there, but he is totally the lead this season and he would definitely be a real front-runner.

Comment by Sarah El – May 31, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really think Breaking Bad is hyped,I watched into season 2 and it kinda womped.

Comment by Shaun – May 31, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You should probably watch seasons 1, 3 and 4 also before coming to that conclusion.

Comment by Mike V. – June 1, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season two was arguably Breaking Bad’s weakest season. Watch season four and you’ll understand exactly why it is the BEST drama on TV these days!!!!!!

Comment by Lyndsey – June 2, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Timothy Olyphant should be a “definite” for a nom. He’s subtle, so many folks claim he “isn’t doint anything”. He’s doing plenty LOL. His characters in Deadwood and Justified, which many people say are the same(!!???) are very different and his work in indy films is admirable. Go Timmy!

Comment by Audrey Lewis – June 2, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here, here! Timothy Olphant 100 percent deserves to be nominated again for Season 3 of Justified. The show deserves to be nominated for the first time, too.

Comment by dolphinlights – July 18, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Hunnam has deserved awards for the past 2 seasons now. Lots of talent in this list.

Comment by Megan – May 31, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For sure! He is amazing!!

Comment by Michelle – May 31, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not only is he great in SOA but he has played other roles that he was great in too. I think that he deserves to be nomonated .

Comment by Jackie – May 31, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ohhhhh I definetely misss someone here david boreanaz, he deserves it

Comment by maria – May 31, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a reason Robert Carlysle wasn’t included on your list?! I thought he was to be listed in the Lead Actor category and while I know he might be a long shot since Emmy may not shine too brightly on Once Upon a Time since it’s only in it’s first year, I thought for sure Robert would at least be included on your dream Emmy list.

Comment by Heather – May 31, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cranston for the win! Hands down…there shouldn’t even be a competition.

Comment by valerie tower – May 31, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this.

Comment by justjack – May 31, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely that Cranston should win. He was amazing in their best season yet. I know it won’t happen and he will surely be nominated (for his NA meeting scene alone) for Supporting Actor, but for me, Aaron Paul’s role on BB has increased each season to the point where he is almost a co-lead with Bryan Cranston. They are both so good it’s crazy!

Comment by TheBeach – May 31, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I agree with you that Aaron Paul’s role was near equal to Bryan Cranston, and he is just as worthy of critical praise, I do not think the show has any intention of submitting him in the lead actor category, considering there is a good chance that they could each win in their respective category. Love everything about BB, hands down best show on tv, I weep that I only have 16 more episodes to enjoy.

Comment by CR – May 31, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suppose Peter Dinklage is in the supporting actor category? He should really just win everything though.

Comment by Charlotte – May 31, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Support??? He is probably the main character of Game of Thrones right now! He is probably the only real candidate to this one and is not on the list…

Comment by WeeklyWeek – June 1, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know they will never nominate Peter Krause or Tom Selleck as those 2 great shows never get recognition but it would be nice! So for me my top pick to win is once again Michael C Hall! He is FANTASTIC!
    However I am betting now for the 3rd year in a row Steve Buscemi will win.

Comment by sarah – May 31, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Timothy Olyphant is fantastic in Justified, he definitely deserves a nomination!

Comment by Lovemyshows – May 31, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Marc – May 31, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Olyphant should be nominated. I’ll be pulling for Cranston but TO should definitely be on the list.

Comment by TheBeach – May 31, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Timothy Olyphant definitely deserves a nomination!!!

Comment by dolphinlights – May 31, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Timothy Olyphant is consistently excellent as Givens in Justified

Comment by Yvonne McTear – May 31, 2012 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie!! Gotta love House (even if he was a little psychopathic at times)

Comment by airhead – May 31, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From playing Bertie Wooster to Dr. Gregory House, he’s amazing.

Comment by rubytu – May 31, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, it’s high time Hugh Laurie won. He’s done everything on this show from playing music to reluctantly showing feelings to telling it like it is to picking on people to being genuinely kind to, yes, being psychopathic (that’s called acting; it doesn’t mean Hugh Laurie is psychopathic; that shows how good he is!). Does he have to stand on his head while juggling with his feet to win an Emmy after eight straight years of being nominated?

Comment by Suky – June 2, 2012 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Definitely Hugh Laurie for the win , after eight seasons of seeing Greg House going from hell and back so many times , he needs that Emmy .

Comment by Tracy Murray – June 2, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Carlyle!!

Comment by Catherine – May 31, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston for sure, if you don’t agree then I would go and rewatch season 4.

Comment by Bella – May 31, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually I think that anyone who doesn’t agree has probably never watched Breaking Bad at all. No one who watched season 4 could possibly have forgotten it yet. That’s the only explanation I can think of. Therefore, for their own sake, they should start with Breaking Bad’s Season 1 ASAP.

Comment by Manuel – May 31, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan Fillion, in Castle, especially in Always was terrific!!!!

Comment by Chiara – May 31, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OK, I understand that Castle isn’t exactly an Emmy show and Fillion’s role rarely gives him anything Emmy worthy to do (especially this season which was pretty terrible), but he really was amazing in the finale. I mean, he REALLY was. I was actually surprised. You tend to forget that actors are hostages of writing and directing and sometimes are capable of much more then they get to play. So in honor of his acting in the finale I would give a nod to Nathan Fillion? even though it’s totally impossible in reality..

Comment by reb – June 1, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie, it’s absolutely time for him to win!!!

Comment by Sally – May 31, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston for sure, if you don’t agree then I would go and rewatch the end of season four’s “Crawl Space.”

Comment by Bella – May 31, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for new blood: David Giuntoli & Robert Carlysle

Comment by Tj – May 31, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like the others, I have to agree that you dropped the ball by not including Robert Carlyle from Once Upon A Time as one of the dream nominees. I just checked and ABC did indeed submit him for this category.

Comment by Jennifer B. – May 31, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, he is pretty damn amazing! Especially with all the switches he has to do. His character is complex – to say the least!

Comment by Beckstle – May 31, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon Baker from the Mentalist is so underrateded it’s a crime he is ignored here in this forum …

Comment by xwiseguyx – May 31, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I’m surprised to see Simon not on the list this year. I thought for sure he’d be a shoe-in.

Comment by Suky – June 2, 2012 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been saying Simon Baker in all threads/articles about possible nominees, but nobody pays attention.. They are all blinded by cable guys :/ I hope he gets a nomination and win. he did an outstanding job in the last 2 episodes of S4 (just to mention a couple)

Comment by Heidi – June 2, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! He plays Jane so remarkably

Comment by Evelyn – July 17, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Simon Baker is brilliant.

Comment by dolphinlights – July 18, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Dinklage just going in for Supporting Actor again?

Comment by Sam – May 31, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is and it is too bad. I think he could win this category. But that time will come. Tyrion Lannister is the “hero” of ASOIAF according to Martin himself so his role on the show will become even more of a lead role.

Comment by AJ – May 31, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a two horse race. It will be either Cranston or Damien Lewis. I see Cranston taking this award home again.

Comment by AJ – May 31, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Noble has earned an emmy nod for his role in Fringe. They need to show the heartbreaking scene where he talks to his other self about his fears for his son.

Comment by Cleo – May 31, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wanted to give all six of my votes for John Noble. He even got to play two characters on the same show, and got to do the most phenomenal scene, acting with *himself*.

Comment by tarc – May 31, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • john noble was my write in vote. i would love to see him nominated.

Comment by murley – May 31, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • who is making these lists?! no fringe for drama and no John Noble.. unacceptable.

Comment by kyle – May 31, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • John Noble is Supporting.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 31, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So are Joshua Jackson and John Noble supporting and Anna Torv the only lead? Either way, I just want John Noble to recieve some consideration considering there scenes together this season.

Comment by llc – June 1, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could you overlook Robert Carlyle as Rumplestilskin/Mr. Gold on “Once Upon a Time”?!

Comment by PFitzDC – May 31, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do people keep trying to add supporting actors into this category lol. Carlyle and Noble are both supporting actors on their shows.

Comment by AJ – May 31, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but according to sites, ABC put his name in for Best Drama Actor. Unless they changed it after the fact and it was never reported, which is entirely possible. Strong response though, huh? I look forward to seeing his name on the dream nominees for Best Supporting Drama Actor then!

Comment by Jennifer B. – May 31, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree about Robert Carlyle from the first scene I saw him in on Once Upon a Time, and he’s only gotten better and shown more and more range. For him not to be nominated at all is a crime! But then, I was thinking his role fits in better as supporting actor (so he won’t be running against Hugh Laurie–and, hopefully, Simon Baker). Robert should definitely be nominated, but if Hugh doesn’t win this year after eight seasons and this being the finale of House, I’m going to cry. Doesn’t Bryan Cranston have enough Emmys yet? Give someone else a chance.

Comment by Suky – June 2, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ONCE again ;) Robert Carlyle entered in the Supporting race.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 2, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel Kinnaman from The Killing? This terrific performance should be recognized. He seems to be more than a supporting actor.

Comment by Linderella – May 31, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I tend to think of him as a supporting actor but he deserves to be mentioned. While I think there’s a real shot that Mirielle Enos gets a nomination, it’ll be a long shot for Holder. But man those two have had some great performances this season.

Comment by Andrew – May 31, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you! He is great as Detective Holder.

Comment by fringegirl47 – June 1, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Hunnam continues to get better and better with each passing season. He and Maggie Siff deserve Emmy’s for Season 4 – Esp the episode “Hands”. It’s by far the best episode of the series to date. And Peter Krause should be nominated because lets face it, Adam Braverman is what every man in America should be. Parenthood is stellar and should get recognized!

Comment by Lizzy – May 31, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Wilson from A Gifted Man. That was a great show! I’m so sad it got canceled

Comment by Jane – May 31, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Krause! And in a dream world…Nathan Fillion!!!

Comment by Becks – May 31, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nathan Fillion in a dream world? More like a nightmare.

Comment by Tania – May 31, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. He is absolutely the worst!

Comment by tripoli – May 31, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So so obvious that none of you boneheads actually watch him. That fellow deserves an Emmy for his incredible skills.

Comment by Jess – June 1, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zachary Levi for the final season of CHUCK. In the last two episodes, “…vs Sarah” and “…vs the Goodbye,” he was both funny and heartbreaking.

Comment by Andrew – May 31, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be amazing! Sucks that Chuck never got any recognition, such a good show…

Comment by Becks – May 31, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This Emmy list is the final nominations to be nominated official list? Or just wishful thinking of TV Line? Cable dominating.. what else is new?

Comment by Heidi – May 31, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • bah.. wishful thinking.. ok.. for a moment

Comment by Heidi – May 31, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Cranston and Damien Lewis are really the only two I’m overly excited about this year. Your inclusions of Andrew Lincoln and William H. Macy over Jon Hamm are baffling, just like your inclusion of The Walking Dead for Best Drama. Team TV Line is giving too much credit to that show. Personally I don’t think Peter Krause should even be considered under a lead actor. The guy is supporting. There are really no leads on Parenthood.

Comment by YowzaPowza – May 31, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Bryan Cranston and Damien Lewis are really the only two I’m overly excited about this year.”
      Same here, with the addition in third place of John Hamm. Lewis, Cranston and Hamm are the ones that stick out the most by far this year.

Comment by Natalie – May 31, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First: it is very nice from TVLine that they included & support in their Dream Nominee some underdogs,who won`t very likely get nomination, Sadly.

This year the best drama actor category is pretty much predictable:

Bryan Cranston (locked)
    Jon Hamm (locked)
    Steve Buscemi (locked)
    Kelsey Grammar(locked)
    Dustin Hoffman (locked)

The sixth slot is not so predictable but the critics are so in love with Homeland,if they could they would have s** with that show and they can`t sleep if they don`t mention the awesomness of this show at least three times per week optimally in reviews about other shows-So Damian Lewis is a Safe bet.

In my opinion Hugh Laurie should be on that list too, he deserves it. He delivers on a weekly basis the best acting on network TV, it never lost the quality in opposite he mostly overtrumped himself per season. *fingers & toes are crossed

Comment by Linda – May 31, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dustin Hoffman in Luck was booooooooooooooooooring. That is not a lock by any means.

Comment by AJ – May 31, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven`t even watched the show, so i have no idea if the show is good or bad. Dustin Hoffman will get a nom because of his BiiiiG Name like Kathy Bates last year. The Emmy voters can`t help themselves, you can observe every year the same. The same applys to Kelsey Grammar, i have seen one episode of BOSS,found it boring and Kelsey Grammar is *hm yeah* not any different than in the past where he rocked the Emmys so he is a sure thing to get nominated.

Comment by Linda – May 31, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Kelsey Grammar was extremely good in Boss and deserved it. I have seen both and Dustin Hoffman in Luck what lackluster to say the least. I don’t think name recognition goes as far as you seem to think it does. Not in a field with so many better contenders. He may get nominated, but it is far from a “lock.”

Comment by AJ – May 31, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Kelsey Grammer is good in Boss, but not great. There are too many other actors that are great, like Laurie, Cranston, D. Lewis, Hamm, to put Grammer in their league.

Hoffman’s performance on Luck was not in the “great” category either, but the Emmy voters will probably give him a nod based on his status as a movie star. This will sadly mean someone more worthy will be excluded from a nomination.

Comment by Maggie – May 31, 2012 01:05 PM PDT
  • To all the Robert Carlyle fans, isn’t he a supporting actor? I think he’s great also, but there’s no way that guy stands a chance in the lead category. If they’re submitting him as lead, it’ll never happen. He’s not a lead in any way.

Comment by YowzaPowza – May 31, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Like*. I felt the same way. If ABC really wanted him to get nominated, they should have put him in supporting. He couldn’t have beaten Peter Dinklage for the actual Emmy, for sure, but I don’t think there’s any way he could win lead either. These categories are just too strong. His best chance for a nomination would have been as a supporting actor.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 31, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sadly, speaking as a Robert Carlyle fan only since having been blown away by his complex performances and range all season, I agree, he should have been put in for Best Supporting Actor. (Although maybe this is a hint that they plan to give him more screen/story time next season and less to Prince “Ho Hum” Charming? In fact, I think a case could be made for nominating Jared S. Gilmore, who plays 10-year-old Henry, for Best Lead Actor on the show. But I think the show would be much better if Robert Carlyle *were* showcased as the lead. I don’t know the criteria, but it seems hard to justify when he’s completely missing from several episodes.)

Comment by Suky – June 2, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen him listed as a Best Actor submission.

Comment by Terri – May 31, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would definitely add Joel Kinnaman from The Killing, the guy gave an amazing performance this season as Linden’s troubled partner.

Comment by susola – May 31, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about John Noble and Joshua Jackson from Fringe? They’re a long shot but they certainly deserve it!

Comment by Dana – May 31, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • seriously! TVLine loves Fringe but doesn’t include John Noble on this list? I’m stunned!

Comment by Sarah – May 31, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • John Noble is Supporting, not Lead. Apology accepted.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 31, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly hoped Peter Dinklage submitted for the main actor race. This was his year. I think he was the only one that had any kind of shot at beating Bryan Cranston. That said, Emmy voters should realize that they never gave an Emmy to Hugh Laurie for House. We get it, Bryan Cranston is incredible in every scene but House was and will remain one of the most iconic characters on TV. It is absurd that Hugh Laurie was never recognized for his excellent job.

Comment by Monica – May 31, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree it’s somewhat unfair for Hugh Laurie. But if he was ever supposed to win this category it was a long time ago -when House was still good and before Bryan Cranston arrived-.

Comment by Manuel – May 31, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same here. Laurie is a good actor, but all if these men are. He hasn’t had material worth his talent to act in “House” for quite some time. To give him one just because he’s good and doesn’t have one yet is unfair to all the other actors in this category who are just as good and actually had some great scripts to act out this year to put their talents to the test.

Comment by Natalie – May 31, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oooh, i thought the final four House episode were pretty good. Both Robert Sean Leonard and Hugh Laurie rocked their scenes . It was some great acting and deserves to be on the lists of their respective acting categories.

BTW: Bad scripts shouldn`t be considered in the acting categories, therefor there are the Best Writing and Best Show categories.

Comment by Pia – June 1, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hugh Laurie is not a good actor. He is the best actor on tv. How can people think that Cranston is better? He has already used all the facial expressions he possesses in the four seasons of BB, whereas Laurie is still able to surprise in episode 177.
          If people had seen more classic films from the past,(not only the American ones) and studied the acting of the great actors of the golden age of Hollywood, they would immediately recognize Laurie’s superior acting ability. Can you imagine Cranston in J. Steward’s or Gary Cooper’s position?Or Spencer Tracy’s?
          Cranston is quite good, but aren’t three Emmys enough for his continous opening the mouth and squinting the eyes?

Comment by Pip – June 9, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Robert Carlyle is better than Hugh laurie, absolutely.

Comment by Sasha – June 24, 2012 03:22 PM PDT
  • How about Nathan Fillion from ABC’s Castle?

Comment by Maria – May 31, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a lightweight compared to the others mentioned. Good actor, but a lightweight.

Comment by Abe Froman – May 31, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? even comapared to michael.c.hall??? i’m terribly shocked.

Comment by Sandy – June 1, 2012 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ^THIS!

Comment by Becks – May 31, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have to recommend Nathan Fillion in Castle. This season he was just awesome! I do love Timothy Olyphant though. He’s great in pretty much anything he does, although in Deadwood, think he was overshadowed by Ian McShane. Also a huge fan of Peter Dinklage and GOT. Hugh Laurie in this season and probably the previous season of House were some of the best episodes ever!! Also thanks for including Jason Isaacs. Love him and loved that show, but unfortunately it was to intelligent for mainstream network tv…kinda like a few other shows that have fallen by the wayside…i.e. Lie To Me, Human Target, to name a couple…
    just my 2 cents worth.

Comment by Jennifer – May 31, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is that they haven’t given Fillion the kind of material he’d need to be considered for the Emmys. If they did, he’d knock it out of the park. He’s a great actor.

Comment by digitalred93 – June 1, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan Fillion is a funny guy and a good actor, but no chance he gets nominated. There is just no way against the competition.

Comment by AJ – May 31, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s sad really because he should get nominated. The same people nominated over and over again.

Comment by sam – May 31, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m an enormous Nathan Fillion fan. I watch Castle, in spite of my utter hatred towards police procedurals, entirely for him. But compare what he does in that to what Bryan Cranston or Kelsey Grammer or Damian Lewis do in their shows. Can you look me in the eyes and honestly tell me that he acts at the same level at those guys? I think he could, if given the right role, but Castle isn’t something where he’s particularly challenged.

Comment by Superhero – May 31, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Kelsey Grammer’s Show is boring overrated trpie

Comment by John – May 31, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • As is Castle.

Comment by tripoli – May 31, 2012 02:39 PM PDT
          • Castle is a million times better than Boss.

Comment by John – May 31, 2012 02:42 PM PDT
        • I agree with you. I wrote in Fillion just for kicks, but in a dream world he would’ve been in a better show, or his show would’ve been better. I’d love to see what this guy could do given the material that Lewis or Hunnam get. Always liked him but used to think he’s mainly a likable comedic guy and that’s it (nothing wrong with that). But now caught up on his filmography and you can really see glimpses of what he’s capable of there. Pity he rarely gets challenging roles to play, mainly typecast. He really surprised me in the Castle finale, his acting in the confession scene was the best thing in that TVtrope-ridden concoction. So any nods would be impossible for him but why not dream big, right? :)

Comment by reb – June 1, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If British shows can be included, I’d definitely vote for both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman from the excellent (and totally addictive) Sherlock by BBC…

Comment by Kirsty – May 31, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think sherlock would count as a miniseries but i totally agree. both are completely captivating and perfectly cast as holmes and watson.

Comment by murley – May 31, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie deserved already!

Comment by Cuddy's lawyer – May 31, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad to not see Ron Perlman in this list. However, I’m rooting for William H. Macy to pull an upset.

Comment by Carmen – May 31, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perlman would be supporting actor, as Charlie is the lead actor.

Comment by Megan – May 31, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would it be possible for you to just list your dream nominees in the commentary?

Comment by sam – May 31, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Emmy should have new rules..stop nominated/give the award to the same actors after they won a least twice for the same role-to finally help/advantage the new or “old” contenders who are nominated each year but robbed every time….maybe the ceremony will be more interesting.
    So for me..it’s HLaurie who deserve the most, to finally get his 7nomination and WIN! He work so hard during 8 yrs to personify one of best sarcastic miserable Vicodin addict diagnostician, while making his accent+limping delivering the medical jargon and the best Houseisms/metaphors….

Comment by Jules – May 31, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you 100 percent, Jules.

Comment by Suky – June 2, 2012 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad Hugh Laurie is so high up in the voting. He deserves that Emmy, and let me urge people to tweet about it on Mondays at 8 (or any time, really) — send those in power a message– do all you can for him. He was wonderful in that role and it’s never been acknowledged.

Comment by Isabella Fiske McFarlin – July 5, 2012 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I love a lot of these choices–the best show on TV is missing from the list–Southland! Ben McKenzie and Michael Cudlitz have been superb overall, but esp. this past year.

Comment by nora barnacle – May 31, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to add the guys from Southland! Cudlitz, in particular, was outstanding this year. I don’t think I’ve ever loved a fictional cop as much as I did John Cooper after he rescued that suicide jumper. Just a beautiful, moving performance by him.

Comment by Dave M – May 31, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it interesting that 6 of the nominees are Brits.

Comment by Sue – May 31, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post