Private Practice Shake-Up: Tim Daly Out!

Tim Daly is checking out of Private Practice.

The actor announced late Tuesday that series creator Shonda Rhimes opted not to pick up his contract option for the ABC medical soap’s upcoming sixth (and likely final) season.

In a somewhat terse statement posted on Twitter, Daly said, “Wonderful fans of PPP. Shonda informed my agent today that Pete won’t be returning for season 6. It was a great 5 yrs. R.I.P. Pete Wilder.”

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Coincidentally, just hours earlier TVLine floated the possibility of Private Practice bidding farewell to Daly’s Pete, who was jailed in the season finale for compassionately ending the life of a patient kept alive by machines.

Daly was likely the victim of cost cutting. As you’ll recall, PPP‘s renewal came down to the wire earlier this month as both sides haggled over budget-related issues.

Thoughts? Was Daly the most expendable member of the Private Practice cast? Sound off in the comments?

1. jeannine says:

HEY!! I dont like the sound of that!!

i wish that she would have cut Cooper, I hate everything about his character. He is a whiny lil snot, & i think Kaydee’s character deserves someone stronger and better looking! i am also sick and tired of Amelia constant sniffling and being a bitch to everybody, I used to love her character and now i hate it. There are so many story lines they could have taken, including more great story lines about their patients, like Grey’s Anatomy. Does anyone else find it weird that Derek wasnt there for his sister? how come they dont tie the shows together a lil more, I think having derek on PP would help tie the shows together better and of course seeing mcdreamy can only help. I happen to love PP, and hope they can bring in some exciting new stories and new cast members, to just brighten it up a lil bit.
    Im sad to hear about Tim Daly leaving as i really like his character. They are going to need someone pretty good to fill his shoes.

2. Bonnie says:

The back and forth between Sam and Addison is not entertaining, neither is the Pete and Violet relationship. I am tired of both the Violet and Sam characters. Addison should either hook up with Bratt or go back to Grey’s and save “McSteamy”, that is, if they didn’t kill him off in the last episode. Killing off Lexi pissed me off, too! Pete was a better character than Sam, Violet or Sheldon. If Bratt ends up with Amelia or Addison with Sam, I am done!

3. Deb says:

I like the show and that’s acting for you so each of you that hate or dislike someone on the show then they did some good acting it takes them all to make a good show,

I really love the show and will miss it dearly is it’s canceled, I just found out Brothers and Sisters were canceled and I like that show very much also. I guess it’s time just to turn the TV off and start reading a book.

4. amy says:

I have seen every episode of Greys Anatomy and Private Practice. Love them both! Pretty sure everyone commenting is WAY too involved in these shows. It’s tv, and it’s for entertainment. If you really can’t handle what the writers decide to write–watch something else! Part of what draws a viewer in is the love/hate relationship with the charectors.

5. SCG says:

I really don’t mind…. I never felt that Pete belonged there. He was always trying to go somewhere else (El Salvador and now prison)…His story was becoming repetitive….However, I feel most of the stories are now repetitive (except Charlotte, Amelia). I’m sooooo tired of the addisam drama! It transformed Sam into an annoying guy! I hate Sam now! Benjamin Bratt is great, however I don’t see Addison falling in love with him, she’s soo attached to Sam….argh I hate that triangle! It’s just annoying and tiring! I really think Shonda might try to hook up amelia and BBratt’s character! Had that feeling with the whole baby thing……I dont know! Since everyone hooks up with everyone in the show hahaha
    I don’t mind Violet, I actually like her more now than before! She’s not so know-it-all! (I guess I like her friendship with Addison) Charlotte and Amelia are my favorites! I really think that Amelia ‘s character can be expand into something mooooore amazing! Charlotte rocks! Her storyline this season was awesome! Loved to see her change and become a mom indirectly. In general, I really feel Shonda is losing it….Grey’s A is a mess too!

• kell says:

Agree with your comment completely! Especially the part about Charlotte and Amelia. I want more of their friendship in this season! Charlotte’s been my favourite since the beginning and I’ve loved Amelia since she first started the show.

6. dewi masyithah darlan says:

I am fan’s of this series. BUt don’t make addison with sam. I don’t like him. I like if ADDISON WITH JAKE.

7. HS says:

Violet is the true bore with Sam and Amelia coming in a close 2nd and 3rd. Unfortunately even Addison’s character has become very predictable. The show really has run it’s course.

8. Adele says:

Aw no I love ‘Pete’! Fab character and amazing show in my opinion! Love it! Just finished season 5 this minute. We are way behind in Ireland but managed to catch it online.

9. AndreaMC says:

I’m late in the game – just finishing season 5. Now I find out Shonda dumped Tim Daly. WTF? First, don’t just drop a character off the face of the earth (though she and the other writers smashed his character this season, turning him into an angry stereotype). Second, get rid of Violet. Please! She is the most annoying, simpering, self-involved character I’ve seen in any TV series. Annoying to the bone! And I’m still fed up about the GA season ending, with the ridiculous plane crash. Hate it when good shows go bad.

10. udj says:

Just watched PP kill Pete off, no more watching for me.

11. Stacey says:

I’m sure it’s a money issue. It cost more to keep one of the highest paid players. Tim will now do Broadway, which is his thing anyway. Good luck in your future endeavors Tim Daly. Not that you really need it.

12. Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace
    group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Cheers