Private Practice Shake-Up: Tim Daly Out!

Tim Daly is checking out of Private Practice.

The actor announced late Tuesday that series creator Shonda Rhimes opted not to pick up his contract option for the ABC medical soap’s upcoming sixth (and likely final) season.

In a somewhat terse statement posted on Twitter, Daly said, “Wonderful fans of PPP. Shonda informed my agent today that Pete won’t be returning for season 6. It was a great 5 yrs. R.I.P. Pete Wilder.”

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Coincidentally, just hours earlier TVLine floated the possibility of Private Practice bidding farewell to Daly’s Pete, who was jailed in the season finale for compassionately ending the life of a patient kept alive by machines.

Daly was likely the victim of cost cutting. As you’ll recall, PPP‘s renewal came down to the wire earlier this month as both sides haggled over budget-related issues.

Thoughts? Was Daly the most expendable member of the Private Practice cast? Sound off in the comments?

1. Lavenderleo302 says:

You all apparently are forgetting the “big picture” when it comes to your hateful comment towards Rhimes. It is after all show “business” and it is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL for EP’s to negotiate or terminate contracts with actors through their agent only! Yes on a more “human” level it would have been better to tell Tim face to face. But let’s get real people we don’t know the entire story, just what Tim tweeted. He could have known about the non-renewal of his contract and chose not to add that to the tweet. It is sad that his character is now gone, but Tim is a great actor and will find another show to do or even movie. He is not gone forever! Let’s get some “real” perspective out there!

• Cassie says:

Fair enough, but it kinda sucks when people invest time into shows for things like this to happen, especially without closure. I’ll be tuning into the first episode of season 6 to see how they explain his departure though.

• DB says:

It may be business as usual but shows a lack of class and a lack of respect. Rhimes did attempt to explain the departures of two non original characters from Grey’s, and it appears they knew in advance, so why not Tim? I guess he should be happy he didn’t get run over by a bus or crushed by a piece of fuselage. The “behind the scenes” aspect of Rhimes’ shows are getting more interesting than the shows themselves.

• brin_3532 says:

No one is questioning the business. It was obviously really handled unprofessionally and without creative merit. People don’t have reputations for nothing. The Rhimes comments in such numbers are based on patterns, history and truth. We have received reports of facts, you are inventing a scenario so Rhimes doesn’t look bad to you for some real reason. Tim has been the best thing about that show the whole time. And how his character has been lost with no continuity for fans. That’s what people are reacting to, really.

2. Chris says:

Bad decision. They should have gotten rid of Sheldon first (or is he leaving? what a useless character!) and Benjamin Bratt’s character second. Of the women, Amelia is a waste of space.

3. Chris says:

Also, isn’t it kinda ironic to call a Twitter statement “somewhat terse”? That part of the article made me laugh hysterically. It would be pretty hard to make a “wordy” Twitter statement about termination from a show.

4. Gingerkid says:

No reason to watch anymore…

5. Sam says:

If this show ends, Addison better go back to Seattle Grace. Her and Christina (and maybe Alex) are quite possibly the only characters with depth in the Grey’s Anatomy universe.

6. Alex says:

Oh great, now Violet is going to be more annoying/whiney than usual.

• Becks says:

Lol so true! This season especially, her relationship with Pete, and occasionally her conversations with Addison were the only things that made her tolerable.

7. Becca says:

This is definitely a bummer. I wasn’t a huge fan of the direction they took Pete and Violet this season, but they used to be a really good couple you could root for. Hope they at least give them closure somehow. And I’m sure they did what they did for budget reasons I don’t know anything about, but I personally would have much less disappointed had they written off Jake and/or Sheldon instead of Pete. He isn’t my favorite character, but I’m much more invested in him than I am in Jake or Sheldon.

8. simy says:

I really don’t like Pete I found him really annoying, but I feel sorry for Tim Daly, if this is the last season I don’t understand why shonda is cutting original characters.
    But as long as they keep Kadee Strickland, Paul Adelstein and Caterina Scorsone I’m still watching it.

9. andjuliesaid says:

Loved PP until Addison’s mom’s suicide storyline. That was ridiculous! Tim Daly is well shot of this train wreck.

10. Sarah says:

Shonda’s still a douchbag

11. Tommy says:

I am a huge Shonda Rhimes fan and I am not mad at her for doing this. This is not a Shonda Rhimes decision as it seems to be an ABC decision. However, it doesn’t really make sense why they would get rid of such an integral part of the PPP cast and storyline. I do think that it’s time for the show to end, it’s run its course. I think that there were much more deserving people to get the boot (i.e. Amelia, Sheldon) and I think it’s a shame that this happened.

• brin_3532 says:

I think the point is how she handled the decision and that the decision sucks for fans. You may not understand professionalism, which is why you may not understand the reaction to this.

12. Cathy says:

Seriously? To borrow a line from it’s predecessor. I was mad when she killed Dell, but I sort of understood he was a minor character. Get rid of Amelia; despite some tear-jerking storylines, I have never like her character. Or as much as I like Sheldon, let him go. He’s minor, Tim’s major! Shonda needs to get over herself. She may produce good work, but the way she treats her actors when she’s “done” with them is disgusting. Anyone remember George/TR getting the short end of the stick? I was excited when PP got renewed, but without Tim/Pete, I think I’m out.

13. Sam says:

For some masochistic reason I’ve kept watching this stupid show even after a couple of years ago with the Charlotte rape thing. That could have been amazing but what I found totally absurd was her insisting she have NO anethesia to sew up her wounds. not even local. as someone in recovery, I know that we are allowed to get novacaine and local anesthesia, we are not total martyrs. So since then I’ve watched ridiculous and more ridiculous stories emerge. I dvr it and will watch it shaking my head at the “heartbreaking” stories. for me it’s become a comedy, something to laugh at every week. I like Tim Daly and wish him well, he’s better off without this absurd show. Loved him on Wings, hopefully he can get another show such as that. Will not even bother to dvr last season next year, Greys either, haven’t watched Scandel and don’t intend to. Shonda is done in my opinion. but I’m sure she’s not doing any crying except to the bank and back.

• Agnes says:

oh, yes i remember i found it weird also. but i noticed shonda doesn’t care much about things being realistic. there were more thins like for example violet testified as a shrink at katies trial. no way she could give proffesioal opinion about her mental health if she was a victim in this case. but that is shonda.

• kell says:

She didn’t not want the anesthesia because she is an addict, she couldn’t because she is allergic to all local anesthesia. She didn’t want pain meds because she is an addict. And yes I do realize I’m pretty late commenting on this..

14. harry says:

Pete was the most annoying person in the show , maybe on par with Sam. get rid of both of them.

• harry says:

oh and i am so glad naomi is not in the show as well. her storyline with sam and everyone else was the most boring things in the show.

• brin_3532 says:

It must be annoying to other men that he’s so hot and such a good actor.

15. Betsy says:

Sam and Benjamin Bratt’s character are part of the cliffhanger – you can’t get rid of either of them. I wouldn’t have gotten rid of Tim Daley, though, he’s part of the core of the show. I love this show and look forward to watching it on the Internet every week.

• Hanna says:

Technically you can’t get rid of anyone since they all had stories in the season finale and many of them, including Pete’s, aren’t over. Explaining what happened to Pete without bringing Tim back will be equally ridiculous as explaining why Sam or Jake aren’t back would have been. All three scenarios can/could only be resolved with awkward writing.

• Patty says:

Yes part of the stupid cliffhanger of who(again and again and again) will Addison choose??? so tired of her bed hopping and “problems of the week” wish they could’ve gotten rid of her and those triangle eyebrows.

16. Djewel says:

It should have been Violet not Pete. She’s the reason I almost stopped watching. I fast fwd through her annoying rants of dialogue.

17. susola says:

Tim Daly should’ve seen it coming. Late in the season, his character was talking about leaving the country to work at a clinic somewhere in Central America. Exit stage left. I’m sorry, I really like him as an actor. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere fabulous!

18. I personally would have had them get rid of Sam. Have Addison turn down his proposal, and have him leave. However, since that is not the case, I have to say I am going to miss Pete. The character was really great, IMO, and I think he added a lot to the dynamic. I can understand why Tim Daly would be upset about finding out through his agent. I don’t understand why TV execs and show-runners do that sort of thing. How much time would it have taken SR to call him up and let him know herself? It is just seems careless.

19. br says:

If it is the last season…it’s pretty crappy. I liked Pete and Violet. However, I do not care for Addison. Shonda is not gaining any popularity votes with the fans of her shows lately. So what does she have to loose? Oh yeah, her shows being on tv.

20. Rachel says:

They should have got rid of Violet..Her character is so annoying. I loved Pete!! I like the show but I am getting bored with it..Grey’s is way better! Good luck to him….

21. Wall-E says:

The only good part of the show…

22. Jessica says:

I feel as though almost all of these characters have been on a downward spiral into self obsession. Amelia is one of the most annoying characters I’ve ever come across on tv. She is so ‘woe-is-me” all of the time. They’ve also turned Pete into such a jerk that I can’t even understand why people like him. They all consistently make immature decisions. It’s like a high school show except they’re all doctors.

23. Linderella says:

Pete is such a broken character somebody should call him Humpty Dumpty. No wonder “fix-it” Violet keeps trying to put him back together. The character has been a royal train wreck since his mother died. I’m sorry Shonda didn’t just send him to the jungle instead of to jail, but that’s Shonda. Shonda will probably fast forward to after his trial so there’s plenty of opportunity for more Violet-drama unless she decides to fast forward Violet to a mental hospital.

24. Eva says:

Pete’s character has not been the same since the heart attack. He’s been an overacting tool. I’m happy to see him go…I got sick of the “we love each other, no we don’t” act this past season. I think they can redeem Violet’s character without Pete in the picture.

Also, I don’t like Addison with Sam…I think she should be with Jake. He’s grounded and seems like a step forward versus a step backward to what she already knows, and where she’s already been.

And lastly, stop hating on Shonda. She’s human and none of us know what negiotiations with the networks and actors and unions are like. Plus budget cuts, etc. If she had to let a higher-paid actor go to give us a final season for closure with the characters we DO love, I don’t see the harm. Plus, she’s given us all the shows and drama that you all are complaining about…

25. Juan says:

Very sad about it but at least will he like guest star in an episode or two and if finale at least for that

26. joterri says:

For the whatever, Get rid of Sam!!!!

27. tvdiva says:

It would have been nice if she had called him personally rather than doing it through his agent. Tim deserves better.

28. Mark says:

” As you’ll recall, PPP‘s renewal came down to the wire…”

Love to know where you’re getting that 3rd P from Ausiello…. The show is called Private Practice, which has two. Maybe Tim Daly’s tweet made sense “Private Practice Pete”. Your sentence, however, needs a “P” diet. :)

• Babygate says:

See other comments above. It stands for ‘Private Practice Program’. Something that Kate Walsh and Amy Brenneman started on Twitter. Most likely to avoid the ‘pp’ acronym. :-)

• Kristi says:

Maybe they wanted to make sure no one thought PP meant Prospect Park. I think they were the ones that were going to save All My Children and One Life To Live.

29. vondie55 says:

After working on the show for 5 seasons, Tim Daly deserved a personal call from the creator of the show. The fact that he officially put it on his twitter that Shonda informed his agent says it all – oh, oh, Shonda, very unprofessional indeed. Basic work ethics.

• brin_3532 says:

Excellent, accurate comment.

• Mick says:

Tim may have deserved such consideration but this is Hollywood. The place where Patrick Wilson got the final confirmation that his show was cancelled by a 3rd party, not the producers, or CBS. Shonda’s behavior was crappy for sure but less crappy than most of Hollywood. Not to mention Daly putting this story that Shonda called his agent and not him was slightly inappropriate as well.

30. tarc says:

PP ended for me the minute crazycakes carved a baby out of Violet’s belly. It was already a pretty off-putting show, but that ended by interest permanently. I’m really very hard to squick, but that was… well, I’ll pass on any show that ever even thinks of pulling that one again.

31. jpg69 says:

Shonda, in Yiddish, means a “terrible thing” of sorts.
    What a perfect name for this “producer.”
    My distaste for her is growing.
    First Lexie.
    Now Pete.
    Shonda is a shonda!

32. Diane Elhard says:

I don’t watch this show, Tim Daly would be the only reason I would watch it. But my Mother does watch it, mainly for him. I told her this news a bit ago and she said good, he was the only reason she kept watching an extremely sub par show. Now he has the opportunity to get something more in line with his abilities.

Hey, make him the boss on Castle, Castle- Powers- that- Be. He’d make a great foil for Nathan Fillion and make the captain character likable again.

33. Diane Elhard says:

A further comment on the manner in which he was let go….VERY unprofessional.
    Says volumes about who is running that show and why that show is not so fine.

34. susela says:

Oh, thank heavens—now i can stop watching this increasingly crappy show. Tim Daley was the only reason I’ve hung on his long. May he find himself another show, STAT!

35. Danielle H says:

I’m not upset about this. His character got ruined after he married Violet and especially after he had the heart attack.

36. Cindy says:

First shonda gets rid of lexie on greys anatomy and now leaves Addison on private practice…. She must realize all her shows are on the way down the toilet! Does anyone else think Addison is just a big old skank the way she hops in bed with EVERYONE??? Didn’t even bother to start watching her new scandal show… Knew it would be same trash as other two shows

• Babygate says:

Ahmm, Addison is the star of Private Practice. Getting rid of her would be like getting rid of Ellen Pompeo from Grey’s. So, that’s not happening…And about Scandal, I suspected that a lot of people would be turned off by the fact that it is a Shonda show and wouldn’t give it any consideration. Which is a shame because it is a phenomenal show, completely different from anything Shonda has done.

• Ashley says:

Since Addison showed up on GA she has slept with 7 men. That averages to like one man a season (2 GA, 5 PP) and she was in a relationship with almost all of those men at the time she slept with them. Its not like she goes around sleeping with any man who crosses her path. Also if you find Grey’s and PP to be such trash why do you watch them?

37. Babygate says:

ABC should stop promoting Scandal as a Shonda Rhimes creation. She is antagonizing viewers all over the place and they will boycott an amazing show just to punish Shonda. Personally, I think she’s losing her writing mojo. Out of the entire Scandal season, the weakest episode was the one she wrote. This show (Scandal) really is in a class of its own. If Kerry Washington would stop overacting it would be pretty near perfect and it doesn’t deserve to be caught up in the crap that Shondaland is going through now. The Fall is going to be rough over at ABC. Grey’s may be an aging show but it’s still the #1 drama in the key demo and the network needs it. It is the only drama that is consistenly in the weekly top ten. And PP does much better once DVR viewing is factored in. But after hurricane Shonda is done with all the in-house cleaning, who knows what will be left. I’m glad Pete left because I didn’t care for his character, but feel bad for Tim. I understand that contracts are negotiated by agents, but she should have given him the same courtesy that Chyler Leigh and Kim Raver got. Although in that case I think she really didn’t want to let them go. Well, time will tell.

38. Christine says:

I really liked Tim Daly on the show…. He was part of the reason I watched the show…He will be missed…

39. FairyTaleLover says:

Shonda is just determined not to have any fans left on her shows isn’t she? Lexie’s dead and now Pete’s gone. Anyone else, ya bitch?

40. Larc says:

Pete is definitely expendable. All the other characters are expendable. PP is expendable, and the sooner the better.

41. Lindsey says:

He’s way too good for that show anyway. (Same is true of half the cast.) More Daly Show!

42. Stacyh says:

Shonda is really awful. Way to be classy!

43. Cathy says:

The writing was on the wall; as she usually does, Shonda has written a character into a corner, and can’t get him or her out. Tim Daly deserved better than that.

Send Amelia, Addison and Jake to Grey’s; Amelia should be around family, and since Derek got hurt, it makes sense for her to go there. Addison goes to keep an eye on Amelia. Send Taye and KaDee to Scandal as different characters; KaDee as the new chief of staff for the VP, and Taye as an old love interest for Olivia. I will watch KaDee Strickland in anything, and I think she would be wonderful there. If she has another show, put Paul Adelstein there.

• Amy says:

OMG…..Pllllleeeeasaaaseee don’t send the PPP characters off to Grey’s and Scandal when PPP finally dies out. Both shows (especially Grey’s) has over bloated cast as is and outside of Amelia, nobody there has an earthly reason to go to Seattle. Addison has long since been divorce from Derek and Mark. Neither even refer to her anymore. Half the newer characters on the show don’t even know who she is. Rhimes can barely think of a reason to send Addie back once a season on GA for an unneeded x/o. And Jake? Why? As far as Scandal, while the cast is slightly less than GA, to pile on characters to a a show that is flowing just fine right now is asking for it. Kate Walsh has said she wants to get into comedy (possibly her own sitcom or movies) and ALL of the PPP cast is beyond talented. Please let them just move to better things when Practice ends.

• Amy says:

Correction: Addison has long since been divorced from Derek and Mark has moved on as well. Not meaning to make it sound like she was married to both in the SL – sorry :)

• Cathy says:

If she were to split them up, I would prefer to see some of them on other shows. I will watch KaDee Strickland in almost anything, but if she can’t even get nominated for anything, it doesn’t seem like the industry appreciates her talent. Private Practice isn’t working, and to do that to Tim Daly is beyond ridiculous, when Shonda has apparently known for quite awhile that she was going to get rid of him.

And yes, Addison has been away from both Derek and Mark, but she doesn’t have much in the way of family, from what it seems, and if Amelia goes back to Seattle, she could go, too. I used to hate Caterina Scorsone, but now like her, so I’d watch her on Grey’s. Taye Diggs and Benjamin Bratt can do other things, they don’t need to go. Besides, Grey’s may not be around too much longer, especially if Shonda is focusing on Scandal, but I would just like to really see KaDee do anything.

• Cathy says:

For Scandal, not the same “characters”; please see below. :)

• Agnes says:

I like that!

44. Sara says:

Tim Daly deserves better quality material than this crap of a show, whose story lines are focused on people sleeping each other (including your best friend’s ex-husband) and unrealistic medical dramas. Surprised he (and the rest of the cast, who are all talented in their own right) even signed up for these type of story lines catering to the lowest denominator (as do all Shonda shows, like Grey’s, which I stopped watching after they hooked up Izzy and George). Tim, it’s your gain not loss and I look forward to seeing him in better shows.

45. Cha Chi says:

I think the kid & Amelia can both go. They’re both so annoying & always were.

46. Mick says:

If this was a money decision, it is obvious that Tim Daly was one of the more expensive actors on the show Benjamin Bratt came on this season therefore was not as expensive. Its a known fact when budgets get cut and laying off beginning you get rid of the highest salaries first. Out of the original cast he was the most expendable.

47. Ashley says:

The show went downhill, FAST, the second Shonda decided Pete belonged with Violet instead of Addison. Tim Daly and Kate Walsh have too much chemistry for Ms. Rhimes to waste it the way she did. Writing Pete out is just one more bad decision in Shonda-land. Tim Daly can do better.

• Lori says:

I hated the back door pilot of this show. But I’ll agree Pete and Addison had some chemistry. I taped it and planned to watch it. But when I found out from friends that Pete and Addison were not going to be a couple I deleted them. They may have hooked more people in the begining if they had, even if they broke them up later. Most of my friends that continue to watch this show just wish it would get wrapped up and end.

48. Lousy show! Glad it’s the last season! I wish Shonda the same success as she had with Off the Map!

49. Nat says:

I personally feel they need to get rid of kate walsh because I’ve been extremely tired of the I want a baby crap. Now that she has a baby, it’s lets see how is best fit to be my baby’s daddy. Ugh, her personal life drama is extremely boring. The whole show in general has went to the crapper which saddens me to say because I have watched it since day one. I agree that Amelia or Violet should be cut off too because their characters are too annoying and self absorbed.

50. Me says:

I’ll be watching Parenthood….you should too!