Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time's Lana Parrilla: Regina's Feud With Rumpelstiltskin 'Is Not Going to Be Pretty!'

“Uh-oh, it’s magic” is not just a verse from an old Cars song. Those few words also aptly sum up the closing moments of Once Upon a Time‘s season finale, as Mr. Gold né Rumpelstiltskin conjured up a purple smoke that roused sleepy Storybrooke with an infusion of magic — just moments after Emma’s love for Henry broke the queen’s curse and restored the residents’ memories.

And fans of the ABC freshman were not the only ones caught off guard by the game-changing twist.

“There was some talk about the curse being broken, but I didn’t believe it until I read it [in the script], because [series creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis] are tricky that way,” Lana Parrilla recently shared with TVLine. “They don’t really tell you much, but I like that about them!”

RELATED | Does Once Upon a Time Deserve an Emmy Nomination? Vote Here!

Upon seeing the final edit of the finale — with CGI’d smoke flowing out of the well and across the land — Parrilla remarked, “It was awesome…. Unreal.” And almost green à la the ominous cloud that crept across fairytale land when the dark curse was first uncorked. “But at the last minute they changed it to purple, which is more symbolic… a better link to something ‘magical.’”

RELATED | 16 Season Finale Cliffhangers: Which Characters Should Be Saved? Which Are Expendable?

Of course, the very final image viewers were left with as the smoke slinked through Storybrooke was that of Regina née the Evil Queen’s face – curiosity-slash-concern ultimately overridden by a smirk of satisfaction — as she cast her gaze upon what Rumpel (played by Robert Carlyle) had unleashed.

“She seems somewhat conflicted,” the actress explained. “She’s going through this huge loss with her son [Henry, now effectively Emma's ward], and yet now there is hope. If she needs magic to get her son back, then so be it.”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Duo Weigh In On (and Share Secrets From!) the Finale’s Big Reunion

But let’s be clear, if magic is now available to Regina, it’s on the table for everyone – her regular impish foil included.

“I’m curious to see what happens between Rumpelstitskin and the Evil Queen…,” Parrilla mused. “I imagine that whatever it is, it is not going to be pretty!”

Comments (228)

• I think were all forgetting the blue fairy? her magic is more powerful than regina or rumple.

Comment by Ethan – May 30, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then why did she never do anything to stop either of them?

Comment by sara – May 31, 2012 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Blue Fairy wanted the curse to happen. That’s way she lied to Baelfire, then again to Rumpel about the magic bean being the only way to get to a land without magic. She was betting that Rumpel would be too frighten of a “tornado” sucking them into the ground, then she basically lead Rumpel to he idea of the curse. We don’t know what Blue Fairy’s backstory is yet, but the safe bet is that something in her story reveals why she wanted the curse to happen. None of this would have happened without the Blue Fairy’s lies and manipulations…of course, if not for her deceptions, there would be no show.
        I hope the writers get DreamyGrumpy back together with Nova. They should have a happy ending too, regardless of the Blue Fairy’s meddling.

Comment by Nicole – May 31, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what Belle will do when she realizes Rumple’s true goals. He wants love from her, and from his missing son who he’ll want to find. He can’t love them and have his power.

Comment by James – May 30, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone know when the new season starts? I cant wait to see what will happen next.

Comment by Jess – May 30, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’re probably at least a good month away from seeing any fall premiere dates.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 30, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina did have a devilish smile as supposed to Rumple helping her get magic back. Snow was right since the first episode. The good will win! If the characters in storybrooke don’t change back something is wrong! Because if Emma and Henry, Snow and Charming are the only ones who found out who they are to each other how will the other characters know how to believe who they are and how to save their land.

Comment by Jenny Wheeler – May 30, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the power from Regina´s mother came from deals with Rumple, since her mother said “you can´t imagine the deals I had to make to get us here”, that would be one of the reasons Regina fears Rumple and tries to make him lose his power with true love´s kiss. But then again, I think Regina´s power comes from her mother´s heart or something, I don´t think she focused her hate on Snow and let her mother get away that easily, she even sacrificed her beloved father to inact revenge upon Snow. The show just lets us know that Regina got more careful, ambicious, controlled and vengeful after she discovers her mother schemes, and from then on she´s been planning and enacting revenge upon her greatest enemies (her mother/Rumple – more an adversary than a proper enemy) and Snow.
    I don´t think the evil curse was only about revenge. Snow did suffered from the worst nightmares with the poisoned apple and the night Regina tries to use the evil curse she had already killed prince charming in the attack, this would be a plot hole, he was supposed to be dead. So the true disguised reason for the dark curse could be to have Henry as the son she could have had with her true love but fate stood in the way. Also Regina is way too fond of her power too, her dad even said she could and would find true love again if she just forget about her revenge but she then says she would lose all her power and she couldn´t accept that. She and Rumple live the same dilemma, but the difference is that Rumple already found his true love.
    Rumple´s son should be Henry´s father, it would be great.

Comment by Filipe Russo – May 30, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live Regina and rumple and bell I want things to work out for all of them but am I a bad person if I hate snow, Emma and especially Henry. I feel the show is very pro birth mothers and anti adoptive parents rights! Emma is boring, snow just does nothing for me I think the queen should kick her teeth in. And Henry Jesus Christ I hate that ungrateful brat. He’s so annoying I’m surprised half the good guys don’t strangle him. He had a mother who loved him regardless of her past she raised him and he doesn’t love her. It could if been more emotionally compelling if he did love her and was really torn.

Comment by Carissa – May 31, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t hate them at all, but I admit that I don’t find the Charmings very interesting. They’re just a little too perfect in the fairytale world and I hope they keep them flawed in Storybrooke now that the curse has been broken. I really have no interest in the perfect Charmings being a perfect family with perfectly boring stories.

Comment by Nat3 – May 31, 2012 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, not big on the Charmings, they are a little too perfect and “holier then thou,” because everything works out for them. I also fine prince and princess boring, and they are a whole lot of boring. I too hope they keep them flawed, but the posts I read from most fans are they were so made at David for “cheating,” with MM, etc, etc. Its like they want them to sit around holding hands and be perfect while Regina schemes. If I am going to like them they need to make them more human…(I actually like Emma, as she is flawed, was a bit loose, has a bad temper, can be grumpy and obstinate and charges in without thinking…I hope they keep her that way and not a boring “good guy.” )

Comment by Devlin – June 15, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wh’d you dislike snow and emma?

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Regina all the way lol… I like Rumple too, but Regina’s hot!

Comment by Gael – May 31, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leave them both! They make the show

Comment by Gloria – May 31, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling that Cora will turn out to be the Queen of Hearts. I mean, Cora does mean ‘heart’ and it would explain why Regina’s father was in Wonderland. And the Queen of Hearts probably hates Regina for overpowering her and banishing her there. I think that would be cool, but I’d be excited to see another villain. Maleficent is one of the best villains and she was so underused. I hope they don’t do the same for Ursula.

Comment by Mikael – May 31, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope there is a way for Maleficent to return. They wasted so much potential if they really killed her for good in the season finale!

Comment by Dani – May 31, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Emma get magic? That’s one thing I’m really interested in seeing. I think it would be really cool if it turns that she’s this naturally gifted magician.

Comment by J – May 31, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both, Regina & Rumplestilskin. Probably because my husband reminds me of them(; I can’t wait for season 2 though, it will definatly be one to watch. Especially with magic in the air(; I love the drama that unfolds, and I wonder how things will play out between everyone now that they “remember.” I’m just afraid that the writters are bitting off more than they can chew with adding so many characters and having a new one each show, not that I don’t love it. But I hope it only gets better instead of old like many series does.

Comment by Jordan – May 31, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • think about it, Alove potion + bringing back somthing you want i think part of it is bring Baelfire back, but that can’t be all of it…

Comment by Lizzie – May 31, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you really think She can beat her? Rumpelstiltskin is the one who created the powerful curse, he is the one who made her dance with it. Rumpelstiltskin is too powerful.

Comment by Magic is Power – May 31, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did you guys forget how Rumpelstiltskin got his powers? He is the 2nd dark one. He has so much magic within him that he has changed in his appearance ( every magic has a price). He will surely wipe off Regina. Regina does not know whom she is messing with. Too bad for her!

Comment by Magic is Power – May 31, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again: Magic works differently in our world. We will have to wait and see how people (not just Regina and Rumple, but everyone with access to magic, including Jefferson, the fairies, etc.) will be able to work their powers in our world. There might be limitations to magic and what it can do that the characters did not have to face back in the enchanted forest.

Comment by Nara – June 2, 2012 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • which fairy tale character is the dark one supposed to be?

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen bringing kind of a relaxing cool show to a night. It combines past life experiences, a kind of a time traveling reality with current situations. These guys did a good job from actors/actresses, to whoever thought the concept up to writers, costume directors, art and sets, casting, the entire thing is just wonderful interesting spiritual past life philosophy built upon story book tales. We always hated when each show ended so soon, and when the season ended so soon. I like really good movies to be really long. The same with this show. It is a really good, fun, interesting, show; just a really good overall show. We sit down for this one the most, then Grimm, then Revenge, now America’s Got Talent, So You Think You Can Dance, there’s just SO MANY good ones these days I have to record them all & work on getting them all done. I’m so glad I get to record them all though.

Comment by Night Stars – May 31, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina lies and screws everyone over. i hope Rumple bitch smacks Regina. I feel no remorse for her how can you be angry with child who made a mistake. II love Rumple i hope him ,Belle and his son live happily ever after.

Comment by sherry – June 1, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok here it is Regina has the Genie on her side he is madly in love with her. In fact he put himself in jail to save Regina fro getting connected with any crimes. Big plus in her column! Also too Malificant the Dragon is going to be alive and is going to have really bad feeling for Rumple seeing that he put her in the curse of being a dragon and holding an magic spell for him. I would bet you that Regina uses that to her advantage and they will join forces against him. Then remember August tried to control rumple with the dagger that gives him his powers. If someone gets a hold of that dagger he is done for. Rumple will be fighting a war on many fronts plus if Bella finds out what he has done for he own selfish purposes she will probably leave him. Which will make him mad and sloppy. Not to mention he is looking for his son and as August tricked him so could somone else too. The funny thing is that we have not seen Alice of Wonderland yet and she is orignally from Earth so it will be interesting how she plays a role in all of this. Also there are alot of villians that haven’t shown ther faces yet. I do have a feeling that we will find out that the Queen of hearts is none other than Reginas mother???? The Jabawakee a huge evil charater in Wonderland what role will that beast play. Plus will they use Peter Pan from neverland which might be interesting to see. Will this Genie who is so in love with Regina actually the Genie from Aladdin lamp and if so will Jafar come in to play. They could do so much with this and it could go on for years excited to see.

Comment by troy – June 1, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Peter Pan is the one story that is unlikely to be a part of Once Upon a Time. The rights to the Barrie estate are so tangled up in litigation that new projects are on hold.

Comment by Templar – June 3, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rumpelstiltskin is more powerful than all of them combined. Did you not see the season finale? Rumpelstiltskin was able to heal his wound with his magic. He can turn anyone into anything (snail, rose, snake), and who knows what else. He can kill anything with his dagger, including any fairy godmother or any witch. he will turn Regina into a snail and stomp on it!!!

Comment by everymagichasaprice – June 5, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • poor fairy godmother…

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One thing I have been thinking about is how Rumple “created” the most powerful magic “love” by simply using a strand of Charmings hair along with Snow’s hair. What I wonder is if charming and snow had that most powerful magic “love” from just simply strands of hair how would it affect their “offspring”? If you think about it Emma is their offspring and a union of thier “love” is it possible that if magic came to storybrooke like shown in the finale perhaps Emma could have that powerful magic too? Also it could be that she could be immune to any magic…

Comment by MS Techno Girl – June 2, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man I’m so excited!!!! It’s going to be AWESOME! I wouldn’t be surprised if Emma and Rumple end up having to team up, and Emma’s going to need August’s help, I imagine.

Comment by Leahbobeah89 – June 5, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emma’s going to kick some serious butt!!! And season two’s going to rock!!

Comment by Leahbobeah89 – June 5, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • do really think Regina stands a chance? No way! Rumpelstiltskin only needs to know the name of a person and he can take care of the rest. Let’s just say………………………….

Comment by everymagichasaprice – June 5, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the queen has genie, Malificant and fairies by her side, then Rumpelstiltskin will team up with Jefferson (mad hatter). Rumpelstiltskin is more powerful than you think. The queen’s powers are no match for his powers! He will turn her into a snail and stomp on it!

Comment by everymagichasaprice – June 5, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As to the question of Dr. Whale I am wondering if he could be Monstro? Jiminy was a cricket but until the storyline was written that he was actually human at one point and we got his backstory noone knew that he wasn’t always a cricket..so who’s to say that Monstro has always been a whale… That does seem to be a recurring theme in characters from the story of Pinocchio. Wood or animals being turned human or from human to animal if you think about it…Plus Monstro is one of the few characters from Pinocchio that we still technically haven’t met yet in the real world. I think Jiminy’s parents might have been Stromboli because come to think of it we never learned their names. I do think that Rumpy probably feels that the only way he can get his son back is with magic, especially if he has been searching all these years, and maybe the only way that Emma can actually defeat Regina is if she has access to whatever magical powers she may or may not possess. Maybe Rumpy made the curse so that it would only be partially broken by true love’s kiss so that if he hadn’t found his son by the time the Savior came to break it he would have extra time, maybe not a lot, but some extra time to find him..and if he hadn’t found him by then he knows he will probably have to use magic to do so.

Comment by Lorie – June 5, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • who’s monstro?he’s victor frankenstein..

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love it if they would give us tales on other fairy tale characters like say Sleeping Beauty. They haven’t really explained how Maleficent got the Sleeping Curse and how Aurora “got the best of [Maleficent]” now did they.

Comment by Shanun – June 7, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s done.i wonder if rapunzel’ll appear..

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rumple is scary yet sweet with Belle around. i think. So, i personally think that the Queen should go down! She is one heck of a love-wrecker. i know revenge, but enough is enough woman! haha so yeah, i just want her dead, not forgiven. harsh? hmm no.

Comment by zahidah – June 11, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina’s hot…so shallow me wants her to win. Rumple is like the creepy guy on the street corner muttering weird things and smelling bad…so he is gotta go down! Seriously, I like both but can relate more to Regina as she acts out of hurt, anger, and passion, Rumple is just a weird little evil man. I don’t get the Rumple/Belle fan thing, especially from women, he held her captive and he changes people into bugs and stomps on them (even Regina doesnt do that) and he is EVIL.

However, it will be interesting to see what happens. I believe Rumple is the big bad here, and Regina finally is on to him manipualting even her (her ego wouldnt let her believe that before) so we shall see. I love the Regina/Emma antogonistic chemistry so I hope they somehow, against their wills again have to team up to protect Henry from Rumple (remember, Emma owes Gold a favor and he has a creepy thing about stealing other people’s kids.) I just dont want this show to be all CGI all the time so I wonder just how strong the magic is going to be?

Comment by Devlin – June 15, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i just wish regina and gold can team up with the other storybrooke residents to defeat cora and hook..

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best series since LOST which I watched every show. I hope when it’s over the ending is a little bettere than Lost.

Comment by Richard Martin – June 25, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how ’bout the adventures of merlin?

Comment by GabrielStrange – December 19, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dont forget about belle she can kiss mr gold and break his curse before he has a chance to go up against regina like she did just befor regina kidnaped her

Comment by connor – August 26, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hey me

Comment by connor – August 26, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hey everybody out there im connor

Comment by connor – August 26, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post