Lifetime Eyes Marc Cherry's Devious Maids

Devious Maids set photo by Roselyn SanchezMarc Cherry‘s Devious Maids may find work yet, if not at ABC then for someone else.

Now that the Alphabet network has passed on putting the Desperate Housewives creator’s new sudser on its 2012-13 schedule, Lifetime is in preliminary talks to offer it a home, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Fall Preview: A Guide to What’s New!

Lifetime, which is also mulling the idea of plucking CBS’ Unforgettable from the ashes, reportedly sees Devious Maids as a frothy drama in the vein of the cabler’s very successful freshman The Client List.

Loosely based on the Mexican telenovela The Disorderly Maids Of The Neighborhood, Cherry’s Maids follows four ambitious housekeepers (played by Ugly Betty‘s Ana Ortiz, Scrubs‘ Judy Reyes, Heroes‘ Dania Ramirez and Without a Trace‘s Roselyn Sanchez) who work for the rich and famous in Beverly Hills.

RELATED | ABC’s Fall Schedule: Revenge Moving to Sunday, Happy Endings to Tuesday

Soap icon Susan Lucci was on board to play one maid’s employer, while onetime Melrose Place resident Grant Show and True Blood alum Mariana Klaveno would lord over another, as a successful soap opera hunk and his self-centered actress-wife.

1. Will says:

I wish Lifetime considered picking up GCB. I think it would be an excellent pick for the network, plus it has a strong fanbase.

2. P says:

Please pick up Devious Maids AND GCB!

3. Shawn says:

GCB would be a great pickup for someone. I really enjoyed the show and think it would do really well on Lifetime.

4. Cris says:

I’m glad they are shopping Devious Maids around. It sounded good as did Scruples.

5. Aidan Williams says:

This sounds great i was really looking fordward to seeing this show especially if Marc Cherry is behind it and mabye Lifetime will pick up the Martin Lawerence sitcom as well.

6. greysfan says:

This was the one pilot i was looking forward to. I do hope Lifetime pick it up.

7. Eli says:

I don’t think ABC made the right choice in passing on two projects from Marc Cherry in two consecutive seasons. No one knows how to blend comedy with drama the way this guy does. I loved his work on DH and the golden girls. I really hope this DM makes it to the air. As for GCB, this show would have worked better as a half-hour sitcom paired with Suburgatory (both of them have the same kind of quirkiness)

8. farru says:

I wish Lifetime considered picking up GCB. i love loooove GCB

9. Elyse says:

i hope lifetime picks it up! i would love another Marc Cherry show.

10. Jared says:

Devious Maids would be a perfect companion show to the Client List

11. zakspeak says:

Yay!! I’d love to see Devious Maids & Susan Lucci! Hopefully Lifetime can afford her.

• Chris Lim says:

First of all I do hope Lifetime picks up Devious Maids even if they have to can change the maids up a bit to include some multiculturalism I understand that is the reason why Devious Maids didn’t fly on ABC – stereotypes of the Latino community and limited demo.

As for Susan Lucci she would be great on the show but I thought the maids were the stars so she wouldn’t be that expensive – you’d think. I would also like to comment on those people in love with GCB – that’s fine but this is not the forum for GCB. No wonder the soaps couldn’t be saved – All My Children and One Life to LIve – the agendas varied and spread out the fan focus or basis. I guess that’s life we all have our biases and favourites – sometimes that can lead us to simply destroying each other.

I hope the fans and powers that be focus on DM and getting it on the air.

12. S says:

That would be amazing! I think this show sounds awesome!

13. Lee says:

I love “GCB!”

14. Cookie says:

LIFETIME — Quick!!! Run and get both “Devious Minds” and “Unforgettable”. Please!!!!

15. Babygate says:

I hope Lifetime does pick up Devious Maids and keep Unforgettable going. For ABC, I can see DM being a big risk because of all the main characters being Latinas but Lifetime as a network for women would be likely to give it more respect. They do out of the box casting like Brooke Elliot as the lead for Drop Dead Diva. Unforgettable would not get respect from CBS which is a network designed for a predominantly male demographic. The only other shows with female leads are The Good Wife, which in spite of being critically acclaimed has really poor ratings, and 2 Broke Girls which is really nothing more than a chance to ogle at Kat Cummings bosom and it is crude and borderline offense, things men really appreciate in a comedy (a la 2 and a half men). This is also a show that I think would find a more appreciative audience in Lifetime.

• Tristan says:

Lifetime could always retool DM and maybe drop some of the Latina maids and introduce some other ethnicities. Maybe they could have Susan Lucci play a maid and her twin the rich crazy lady to save some bucks. They need to reduce the cast and make it cheaper to produce. Maybe get some designer to dress the stars to reduce the budget; get a hotel chain involved perhaps. Be creative and work out a way to make DM profitable and pure entertainment.

16. Tiffany says:

They should not pick up devious maids after what marc cherry did on desperate housewives and if they pick it up I wont watch lifetime any more

17. Barbara says:

Lifetime if you pick up devious maids or any thing related to marc cherry I will no longer watch any thing on lifetime. I love army wives, the client list and drop dead diva but will not watch them either if any marc cherry shows, show up on lifetime. He destroyed a great show in desperate housewives. You should pick up unforgettable that is a great show.

18. Jane Dow says:

I think devious maids should not have gotten picked up ever

19. Skater Boy says:

Devious Maids should have been picked up by ABC. First, they owe Susan Lucci a little or a lot more respect. She stood by daytime tv and All My Children and gave ABC a face. She was loyal and did not run to greener pastures when she had the chance. She represented ABC with class, dignity, grace as well as with such sweetness and kindness fitting of a quee of anything. Second, Devious Maids is not shakespear but a fun dramedy. This has nothing to do with socioecononmic or cultural classes. it’s fun; it’s entertainment. It was not designed to be a social statement or movement people – it is entertainment! There are several very talented actors in this ensemble cast. Lucci delivers a shockingly fine and finny comedic character. Reyes, Ortiz, Ramirez and Ganam also give great efforts in this production. I hope it does well and people get over ethnic issues.