Ratings: Hatfields & McCoys Makes History

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

The family feud made a big winner of the History channel on Monday night, as Part 1 of the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries set its crosshairs on ad-supported cable’s largest non-sports audience ever, with more than 13.9 million total viewers.

Among that considerable crowd, 4.8 million fell into the coveted 18-49 category. And the total audience breaks 17 million when you factor in Monday night’s encore.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Premiere and Finale Dates!

“With all the success we have had at History, we felt strongly for some time that we should own historical drama, and in true History fashion, we have done it, with – pardon the pun – guns a-blazin!” network president Nancy Dubuc said in touting the numbers. “We couldn’t be more proud of the entire cast and crew … from Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton, Mare Winningham, Powers Boothe, Tom Berenger, and everyone involved in truly making history!”

Hatfields & McCoys continues tonight and Wednesday, at 9/8c.

Comments (57)

• I enjoyed it. I knew ratings were going to be huge. I will be watching tonight.

Comment by Velvet – May 29, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The miniseries is great, but the commercial breaks are awful. I started timing it last night during part 2, because there were so many commercial breaks that it got distracting. Literally distracted me from the drama of the show, probably because whomever edited the breaks into the miniseries did it so poorly that it just broke, abruptly, with no flow.
      I counted 6 commercial breaks in one hour – after 6 minutes, another commercial break that lasted 4 minutes. In fact, each commercial break lasted exactly 4 minutes. The longest we went without a commerical break in that hour, was 12 minutes. The shortest, 6.
      Horrible planning by the executives at History Channel. I understand the need to satisfy the advertisers who are paying the bulk of the production costs, but when you kill the miniseries with that many commercials, you accomplish the opposite of what you set out to do. I can promise you I noticed every product advertised (especially Geico, with their horrible parodies of the Hatfields & Mccoys commericials) in those excessive commerical breaks, and I swore NEVER to buy any of those products. Especially since you kept hitting me with them over and over and over and over and….
      If you get a chance to DVR the miniseries, and can fastforward all those commercials, I strongly recommend that you do. The miniseries is worth watching, too bad the execs at History Channel know nothing about planning out how to air it.

Comment by AB – May 30, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you on the commercial breaks. I kept missing parts, because the breaks were so long I would get bored and change the channel to something else. Fortunately, with my cable provider I have ON DEMAND and was pleasantly surprised that each episode is available the next day and the BEST part is you can Fast Forward through the commercials!

Comment by Lisa – May 30, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s called DVR asshat.

Comment by JOR – May 30, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • WOW watched it all 3 times it was on. but the commercials were the only thing that ruined this movie, I’d mute the tv because the same ads would play, I know them well enough to recite them myself…D

Comment by gary m – May 30, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like the hype and quality of programming on the History Channel, but I seldom watch it because about any time you tune in a commercial is playing. This excessive amount of time in commercial effects programming continuity. The Hatfields and McCoys is top quality programming but I will probably buy it when it sells in DVD form on Amazon because the amount of time spent in commercial and the types of commercials drives viewers away. History Channel could learn a lot from Hallmark. The commercials they air with quality programming adds to the presentation rather than detracting from it. The Geico commercials are especially disruptive to the mood established by this serious and relatively accurate historical account. Thumbs up to the mini series producers and thumbs down to the frequency, quality and timing of many of the commercials.

Comment by Bob Hoskins – May 30, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought this program was outstanding. In fact, I watched it twice. The actors are great. Too bad they had to put commercials between each segment. The entire story would have been more enticing. Rachel 6/8/2012

Comment by Rachel Mandeville – June 8, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for History. Those numbers are impressive.

Comment by Rolfe – May 29, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ve been singing the promo song (The Silent Comedy – Bartholomew) for days!

Comment by Juliet – May 29, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, when I first heard the song, I was hooked immediately!
      The show was terrific and we are looking forward tonight to part 2!

Keep it coming History!

AND, I’m not in the “coveted” age category.

Comment by Janice Shehan – May 29, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was so good! My husband had been looking forward to it for weeks and it had enough drama (and sexy times) to keep me hooked. I can’t wait for it tonight!

Comment by Lauren – May 29, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recorded it and am watching Part 1 tonight as History Canada has them airing 3 Mondays not 3 nights in a row!

Comment by sarah – May 29, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was good, though I think the ratings success may also be because there is just not that much on tv during this time of year

Comment by Amanda – May 29, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, even with not much on TV, people are not tuning into the History channel just for the hell of it. The people tuned in to watch the Hatfields and McCoys, period.

Comment by Velvet – May 29, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah between major league baseball and the NBA and NHL playoffs heading into their respective championships tv has been a real snoozefest recently

Comment by Mike – May 29, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I forgot to set my DVR for this! Are they going to re-air part 1 tonight before they air part 2?

Comment by Ann – May 29, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Part 1 airs again tonight @ 7pm pacific standard time. Basically, right before part 2.

Comment by Velvet – May 29, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • um no Part 1 airs at 5pm Part 2 airs at 7pm and Part 3 at 9pm.

Comment by Elyse – May 30, 2012 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • just kidding. i JUST realized these comments are from yesterday. all 3 parts will air today.

Comment by Elyse – May 30, 2012 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it would be huge, but not that huge! There’s a big audience out there for history, especially history with guys in the woods shooting at each other. History Channel needs to start working on a Civil War series, like, yesterday.

Comment by Temis – May 29, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to see great ratings for this!! watched it last night, really impressed, job well done to the cast & crew, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!!

Comment by Maggie – May 29, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting account of “family members” am a decendent of the Hatfield’s ;)

Comment by Carolyn Nelson – May 29, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You ARE? Well, Im a descendant of the McCoys, and in my book, this feud aint ovah! But seriously, yes, its great that HC has finally shown a regular series with a storyline, esp historical-not all this reality crap theyve ruined this once great network with. Maybe they can start with shows such as this, hopefuly!

Comment by brutony – May 29, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show – Do you think it will revive the “mini-series” ? I am glad HISTORY CHANNEL is focusing on historical drama – I’m not into their reality shows

Comment by Howie – May 29, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow i figured the ratings would be high but not that high. But putting it on on Memorial Day was perfect. Good for History Channel

Comment by ggny – May 29, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am in LOVE with this mini-series. I expected it to be good but it was GREAT.

Comment by Amanda – May 29, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont typically watch this genre, I very rarely watch the History Channel, but I tuned in because NOTHING else was on, and I like KC, BP, and TB. Pleasantly surprised, and I will watch the next two nights.

Comment by Melanie – May 29, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost never watch the History Channel, but the promos really made it look great so I tuned in. I was not disappointed – what a great first part to a mini-series that I expect will only get better as the feud heats up.

Comment by CJ – May 29, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The movie was filmed in Brasov, Romania due to the heavily wooded areas and lack of modern civilization like, power poles, paved roads, etc.

Comment by Velvet – May 29, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope it comes out as a rentable video.

Comment by Esther Van Meter – May 29, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was an advertisement last night that it will be available on DVD……kudos to the cast for not trying to put Hollywood glitz and glamour into such a famous story. So many interesting facts that I had not known before….

Comment by Mikki Varner – May 29, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a good sign; proves again the old west/Western genre isn’t dead. You can argue it’s not a Western it’s history but still…..

Comment by Bob OHara – May 29, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We were anticipating this to be really good, and we are big fans of Kevin Costner. So, what a let down for us as we watched Part 1 of this miniseries. It was as if the story was on fast forward to get each of the story lines set in motion for Part 2 and 3. We turned it off 3/4ths through and won’t be watching the rest. Very disappointing.

Comment by Ellen – May 29, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad for you, because you missed one heck of show. Do yo really think a 30 year, deadly feud could not be “fast forwarded”? They got all the significant parts in.

Comment by Rick Francis – May 29, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Disagree. Significant parts should be given more than a nano-second…. 20, 30, even 60 years doesn’t matter when it’s put produced in such haste. Or, theyhad to cut out parts to cram it all into two hours. Overall, we still found this annoying, and the acting disappointing. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion . .

Comment by Ellen – May 30, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Set up dvr for all three. Didn’t know it started last night. Hope it is based on fact. Wish more westerns were made based on fact, that might draw more viewers.

Comment by bubba wisdom – May 29, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s well done – at least the first episode. It’s a convincing portrayal, really does make one think about the Reconstruction-era South as well.

Comment by Andrew Hall – May 29, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats, History Channel!
    This has been a great series; part 2 tonight was every bit as good as part 1.
    I’ve read very little buzz about this show, and only tuned in because I saw some previews. Goes to show that people will tune in if something of interest and quality presents itself. Stop with the hype. Just tell a good story, please.

Comment by jess – May 29, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The History Channel website has a page on the actual true story of the feud and I am impressed how this fictional adaptation adhered fairly close to the facts (if not the timeline) of the actual story.

Comment by queerbec – May 29, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this movie…Kevin Costner is the greatest…I would like to thank the History Channel for airing this movie…I can’t wait for episode 3… Magnificent acting from the whole cast…this is the best made for cable movie that I have seen in a very long time.

Comment by janice – May 29, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Consarn it! I knew that was Tom Berenger—he makes a fine Hatfield by cracky..

Comment by lary9 – May 30, 2012 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like it A LOT better with less commercials. Even though it is NOT accurate the movie is good, as well as the scenery, costuming, music and acting, but the commericials, the same ones over and over every 8 minutes drives me nuts. The only thing that keeps me going is the longing to see Uncle Jim Vance get his comeuppance. I truly hate his character, even more so than Devil Anse.

Comment by Val – May 30, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first showing is somewhat extended each night… So if recording ( I will be again tonight due to Game 1 of Stanley Cup Finals), record at 9pm.. Each repeat is cut a little to fit into the 2 hour window…

You kinda wonder if this had gottening the HBO treatment whether it would have been bloodier, tougher language ( more F-bombs), and some more skin….

But.. by being on History which is on most cable packages, it got a wider audience…

Comment by Doug-H – May 30, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The editing goes even deeper. The repeats are cutting entire scenes from the first airing. Episode 1 had Roseanne cutting Randall’s hair, him telling her she is his favorite and giving her his uniform button that fell off years ago as a special payment. And they deleted Frank Phillips scene in the bar when he was looking for Jack Vance, the one where he got shot in the leg, hence the unexplained limp for episodes 2 and 3. So apparently, if you didn’t catch the original airing, the only way to get the show as originally seen is to buy the DVD. Commercially: Genius. Culturally: A hard punch in the gut.

Comment by Scott – May 30, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I usually am no fan of the History Channel, however my fiance seen the previews and kept saying, ” You have to watch it with me, you have to!” So of course I watched it, and I think I’m more hooked than he is. I am dying to see the third part, times moving so slow today. Lol. Great acting, great story, awesome in general.

Comment by Brittany – May 30, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Berenger is the best, of all cast. Tom Berenger is great and legendary actor. He deserve for the role Jim Vance, Emmy Award, Oscar and alls awards of Cinema and Tv.

Tom Berenger N° 1

Comment by Dutch Schultz – June 13, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Commercials and station identifactions suck. But the History channel does not care. The breaks and especialy the infomercials are intolerable. This will not stop while they are making money. Little regard is shown for the viewer. All stations are the same although some have more sensitive breaks than others. Some have no regard for program continuity and the breaks can occur mid sentence. This state of affairs will continue. Regualtion is the only way yot control this as is done in other countries. Self regulation never works. Large corporations will continue to run roughshod over the powerless untilforced to stop. We talk a lot about free enterprise but should that come over the rights of consumers.

Comment by Yvonne – August 21, 2012 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quality articles is the main to attract the visitors to go to see the website, that’s what this web site is providing.

Comment by Ina – February 13, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WTF are u talking aboot, Una? Speak English!

Comment by brutony – February 13, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very great article.

Comment by Burberry Outlet – April 8, 2013 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Itˇs actually a nice and helpful piece of information. Iˇm satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Comment by cheap concord 11 – April 19, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I go to see each day some sites and blogs to read articles or reviews, however this website provides quality based content.

Comment by prace naukowe – January 9, 2014 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, afterward having
    my breakfast coming yet again to read more news.

Comment by Readiris pro – March 12, 2014 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He died in 1985 but this very personal museum is really a lasting reminder
    of your very remarkable man. Instant availability is
    what exactly is triggering ebook piracy too.
    Trading invites a variety of sites is extremely frowned upon inside exclusive Bit – Torrent community as it allows anti-piracy groups to infiltrate private trackers
    with less effort.

Comment by the pirate bay – March 18, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DASHCOM websites are springing up all around the world. I am not
    really a PC player, please anyone let me to remove Dell Inspiron password…” We usually hear such inquiry around us.
    Typically, the My Documents folder may be the best anyone to use.

Comment by Kristofer – March 20, 2014 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post