New Spoiler Alert!: Revenge Death(s)! Smash Bloodbath! Grey’s Anatomy's Sad Farewell!

Get More: Spoilers, Video

Look, I’m not gonna say that they’re should be a special Emmy category for Best One-Liner in an Episode of Spoiler Alert!, but there should be, and Parks and RecreationsRetta should win it, no contest.

In this week’s edition, Matt Mitovich and my by-now-almost-regular cohort blurts out, and I paraphrase, “Don’t even [think about auditioning for that series] if you’re not willing to show the opening of your urethra.”

I’ll let you watch the clip below to find out to which of our obsessions she’s referring, as well as get our takes on the Smash bloodbath, the deadly Revenge cliffhanger(s), the Grim Reaper’s guest gig on Grey’s Anatomy and, in a special Q&A, Scott Porter’s thoughts on Hart of Dixie’s currently-unfair George-vs.-Wade fight.

Oh, and don’t forget to hit the comments afterwards.

Comments (63)

• I wish someone would score an interview with Chyler, I’d like to hear from her…Shonda is being a little odd about the reasons for her exit.

Comment by Joy – May 26, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, but what do you expect from Miss Thang (Shonda) when killing folks off…she practically does it in real life. “They are dead to me, never speak their name!” What a B!tch

Comment by David – May 26, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she left for personal reasons she probably won’t do an interview. It’s been 2 weeks and she hasn’t said anything about her exit which makes me think there wont be an interview with her.

Comment by Bobby – May 26, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My understanding was she wanted to leave because she has 3 or 4 little kids at home. She wanted more family time.

Comment by wmcc520 – May 26, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or she realized her character had become useless, and all she did was pine over Mark.

Comment by Brandy (@Realme2011) – May 26, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It really seems like the reasons behind her exit were more dire than that. Chyler has been juggling family life with Grey’s for years now and just months ago she was campaigning to take over as the lead should Ellen leave so I really don’t think she had a sudden change of heart. People have assumed it has to do with her being a mother but that doesn’t ring true to me. The way Shondra described the exit and said she wouldn’t go into it out of respect for Chyler’s privacy, it seems like something serious is going on in her life that she has to deal with. I don’t think Chyler wanted to leave, I think she had to.

Comment by Dude – May 27, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Couldn’t have said it any better! Agreed! I even wondered if one of her kids was sick. :(

Comment by Jessica – May 27, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If that is the case, then I sincerely hope that everything turns out okay for Chyler and her family, whatever the catalyst for her leaving my be.

Comment by Brooke – May 28, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • be real she didnt want to leave! who is going to feed those kids? She is the bread winner. I think there are other reasons, personnel yes, but what i have no clue?? I also dont think shonda wanted her gone.

Comment by Christa – May 29, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • whatever happened behind the scenes, killing Lexie sucks and I don’t think I could possibly dislike Shonda more than I do now. I read an interview with Shonda where she said she and Chyler had talked about it and both agreed the Lexie’s story was over or some such shiz. Now if Chyler wanted to leave for personal issues that fine. That’s her perogative, but I don’t want to be fed some bs that her character was done. Lexie is younger than 30, still on her way to being a full-fledged 100% doctor, and had yet to get more than like 5 minutes of happiness with a guy, specifically Mark. There was tons left to do with Lexie. Like I don’t know let get her and Mark together and let it stick and stop throwing other peoples’ babies in their way. I just don’t buy it. Shonda has been able to make up crap for what are we on the 9th season? 8th season? Whatever 8 or 9 years she has made this show last, I think she could’ve found some stuff to do with Lexie. Like I said if Chyler wanted to leave fine, but let’s not pretend that a twenty something year old character who hasn’t 100% reached her life goals is just done. Especially when Shonda knows a lot of fans are invested in the Mark/Lexie storyline. Let’s just call it what it is, Shonda wanted to stir the pot and let’s face it she loves killing people off. Let’s not pretend it was some kind of logical choice that made sense. Just no,

Comment by me – May 29, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While it’s respectable you have an opinion on the matter, insulting Ms. Rhimes like you know her personally is overstepping that right and privilege. You don’t know her personally and anyone to assume that as a viewer, you are entitled to an opinion about the showrunner’s motives or personal dealings with her employees is taking things too far. Mind your manners. You don’t like your perceptions of what Ms. Rhimes has or has not done? Don’t think them. Or, don’t watch. Don’t paint her out to be a big B when you don’t have that inside connection to be casting any aspersions the way you did.

Comment by Tooter Hatfield – May 30, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So insulting Shonda like you know her personally is unacceptable? What about insulting her as if you don’t know her? The poster is entitled to their opinions, whatever they may be. Who died and put you in charge of passing judgement on what opinions people may, or may not post in public? You’re allowed to post your dumb comments; so is everyone else.
          The poster wasn’t passing off anything as fact. They were just saying they didn’t believe the BS Shonda fed to the media and have their own theories. Or are you one of those people that believe everything the media tells us without questioning it?

Comment by Kat – May 31, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait till Revenge and Smash!!!

Comment by Carl – May 26, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i can wait for Smash. Smash 2.0, without the 2 idiots, i am a little less patient

Comment by noa – May 26, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could Matt please divulge his bread crumbs of how he knew Chyler was gonna be dying?!

Comment by Sarah – May 26, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He just said she wasn’t in press, but I don’t get that. The only “bread crumbs” I saw was it looked like she was setting it up for what I thought would be the long awaited reunion and possible marriage of Mark and Lexie by the end of the season/beginning of next.

Comment by David – May 26, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I assumed there were more breadcrumbs?! If there werent, im sadly disappointed! I think we all thought the long awaited reunion was going to happen! I still somewhat think McSteamy (<3) will die and they will be "reunited" in the fall.

Comment by Sarah – May 26, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think what he ment, is the same what they did to George. Remember the season he died? In that same season you wouldn’t see much of him so that the impact of him being gone would be a little less big. In season 8 Lexie practically didn’t have any strong storylines, and the whole speach to Mark was just to make the moment she actually died a lot more sad. Atleast, that’s what I think.

Comment by Roberto – May 26, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think some bread crumbs were that Chyler was MIA early on in the season because apparently she wanted to spend more time with her kids/family. Shonda claimed she and Chyler had been discussing the exit for a while, so maybe that played a part in it?

Comment by Saint Alicia – May 26, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • O.k. you guys seriously need to just drop all your other guests on Spoiler Alert and just schedule Retta as your guest for the rest of eternity.

Comment by maryploppins – May 26, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. I love Retta. She is the only celebrity I ever bother to read on Twitter.

Comment by Ari – May 26, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! she is awesome. her tweets while watching Smash are amazing, i try to watch when she watches. also- i just invited her to my house to watch TV.

Comment by noa – May 26, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL @Ari and @noa – I know, I only recently started seeing interviews with her and stuff and I quickly came to the realization that she is WAY underutilized on Parks and Rec. I need more Retta in my life.

Comment by maryploppins – May 27, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Retta!

Comment by joy – May 26, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rhetta is just awesome! She needs to be on here all the time.

Comment by LizA180 – May 26, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hilarious use of the “sad trumpet” sound effect.

Comment by wordsmith – May 26, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Retta’s cometary gives me life! And agree about the conspiracy on Revenge getting too big; (imo) shows like Castle and the Mentalist have already dug themselves into a ditch by making the mythology around their central crime/big baddie (Beckett’s mother’s murder/ Red John) larger than life. There’s no way the reveals can live up to the hype.

Comment by Saint Alicia – May 26, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree! There’s no way the show could sustain itself on the Graysons being the “Big Bad.” Also, I don’t feel that Castle and The Mentalist are good examples because their mythologies factor into only a handful of episodes per season, whereas with Revenge we’re talking about every single episode, hence my first point.

I also have to admit I enjoy the Beckett’s mom and Red John cases, though I wish the showrunners wouldn’t drag them out so long.

Comment by DL – May 26, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think I agree. I don’t think that you can have Victoria, especially, being an all-evil character, which she becomes if she willingly and maliciously planned the murder and framing her lover. But, if she did it to protect her family because she was being threatened by bigger forces, it makes more sense. Also, it gives the show an opportunity to maybe have Emily and Victoria join forces one day.

Comment by lara – May 26, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish the press would stop calling the cast eliminations for Smash a bloodbath or that 4 stars are leaving. They weren’t the main stars; 2 were just significant others (Dev and Frank), Michael was just recurring, and Ellis may have helped move story, but he’s easily dismissed. No doubt most of the critics and many viewers are quite happy about 3 of the 4 leaving (I think Frank was liked, but mostly insignificant).

Comment by Dana Kiehl – May 26, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dudes, these guest stars thing is awesome! I love watching actors that are obsessed with other shows. Keep it up!

Comment by Dick Whitman – May 26, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Google Crazy Days and Nights / Grey’s Anatomy and you’ll soon find the reason Chyler left :(

Comment by na – May 26, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @ na, last week I stumbled across the blind items on crazy days and nights. I’m inclined to believe there’s some truth to them. Given the fan backlash, one would think Chyler would make a statement. Shonda was quoted on another site saying something like “what happens in the Grey’s family is private”, which only adds to the existing rumors.

Comment by Tiny_reader – May 26, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoa, crazy. That show is messed up in every sense.

Comment by Alex – May 26, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • more details!! I can only find her official interview/twitter results where she says it was a mutual decision with Chyler and it made her sad.

Comment by lara – May 26, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You gotta read down into the comments section (where people have added more to the story).
        Have to say though, the BI description sounds more applicable to Kim Raver than Chyler. Like others pointed out, has Chyler previously been on other successful shows? Kim was on 24 and Third Watch. Either way, that is a crazy awful situation described and I certainly hope it isn’t true.

Comment by Saint Alicia – May 26, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except it was Chyler with the drug history (clean for years), not Kim. Ugh. The whole thing makes me wanna vomit. Why not tell the @$$ actor to knock that crap off before he gets fired? Don’t even have to mean it, really – just threaten to let loose with the truth.

Comment by Annie – May 27, 2012 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • here is the quote From Shondra

I love Chyler and I love the character of Lexie Grey. She was an important member of my Grey’s family. This was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end. As far as I’m concerned Chyler will always remain a part of the Shondaland family and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future.

Comment by Kevin – May 26, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t believe retta hasn’t seen the Grey’s finale yet!! for SHAME! but not really. xoxo

Comment by cjeffery7 – May 26, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can never have too much Retta. She is so funny on Parks.

Comment by AJ – May 26, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Retract would have watched the Greys finale before coming on. I feel like the discussion was severely diminished so she wouldn’t be spoiled. No fair!!!

Comment by Ana – May 26, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Retract”?
      Also, who cares? Stop whining.

Comment by Ryan – May 26, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ya’ll better keep Retta I’m just saying!

Comment by Brandy (@Realme2011) – May 26, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what kind of spoiler on the grey’s anatomy was this? it did not say anything new that you have not said before… made me watch all the other stuff just for that? c’mon!!!!

Comment by linda – May 27, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • same!

Comment by katy917 – May 27, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup, I love Retta. More please. The three of you are magic!

Comment by Scout – May 27, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s wrong with Portugal??

Comment by MLPC – May 27, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Look, I’m not gonna say that they’re should be a special Emmy category for Best One-Liner” – THEY’RE should be THERE

Comment by Billie – May 27, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m going to have more fun guessing which show she was talking about than watching and finding out. Ohhhh, so many choices.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 28, 2012 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “It’s like Community”??? What has happened over at Community?? I am in full-blown panic mode right now. Did they lose cast members? I hope I misinterpreted what was said here.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 28, 2012 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The firing of Dan Harmon, the show’s creator.

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – May 29, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also think Chyler had to leave because of her family obligations. But killing off Lexie was not the exit fans wanted to see. Shonda could have just written Lexie off in other ways and in the end Mark and Lexie could have reunited. But no Shonda doesn’t know how to write a proper exit for a character she supposedly “loves”. I find it hard to believe that Chyler was okay with her character being killed off and that to 20 minutes into the show. Anyways after everything is sorted out with her family life I hope Chyler moves on to bigger and better things. Greys Anatomy will be done in 2 years anyway.

Comment by Maryam – May 28, 2012 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WIthout Grey’s, Chyler would have little to no recognition, so whether it is gone or not, it still made her known.

I for one am thrilled that the creepy Mark/Lexie relationship is over. He acted more like her dad than a lover and their love scenes made my skin crawl. With Meredith and Derek, the age difference doesn’t seem as great as it does with Mark and Lexi, probably because Lexi always seemed immature for her age and Mark just creepy. And the only reason they were paired was to match the attending/intern relationship of Derek/Meredith.

Comment by Gretchen – May 28, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • never seen the show before, but these three are totally hilarious. especially retta.

Comment by mimi – May 29, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Until Chyler Leigh speaks I won’t set my mind into this whole business… something about what Shonda Rhimes said irks me. TR Knight already mentioned that he had trust issues with her, and Katherine Heigl has been outspoken about her as well. So again, yes, maybe Chyler does have personal issues but like I said I’m not believing anything until Chyler speaks. A lot of fans have been wondering and have been concerned… its the death of a major character, and Chyler can’t do a single interview about it? All the actors that left the show did. Anyhow, I wish the best to Chyler.

Comment by claire – May 29, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t believe a single thing Katy Heigl says about Shonda, considering the amount of crap that she said re the show already and plus the way she left (SO unclassy)…TR Knight never blamed Shonda…more like the network.

Comment by Sharie – May 29, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You won’t find many Grey’s fans who agree with your opinion.

Comment by Ros – May 29, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the end of the day you either believe Shonda regarding Chyler’s leaving or you choose to read between the lines like some fans:
    Cryptic remarks from gossip and TV guide columnists such as ‘They gave her the big kiss off’ – ‘Chyler won’t want to talk’ make fans wonder. Add these to the current silence from Chyler that is deafening, despite being a popular actress with a worldwide fan base from her longest role and yet not a single word or interview so far. Maybe Chyler does not to upset the ‘powers that be‘ having seen other TV stars burn their bridges in recent years. We will also see how sincere Shonda is if she re-employs Chyler on ‘Scandal’ in regards to her working together again in ‘Shondaland’.
    Did Chyler leave because she sought a much bigger role in GA after Ellen repeatedly stated she was going to leave the show at the end of series 8? In an OTRC video interview in June, 2011, Chyler confirms she had been asked (by Shonda/GA management?) to step up to the role of becoming the main Grey which she stated she was happy to do. In a Digital Spy article also dated June, 2011, it states ‘Leigh added that she would be happy to take on the mantle of being the titular Grey character on the show, saying: “I can represent the Grey [in Grey's Anatomy] – I’m not going anywhere!”. Eleven months later we get to the big finale of series 8 and its actually role reversal, Ellen stays and Chyler ends her contract a year early – coincidence?
    The trouble is that many viewers worldwide found the ‘Slexie’ relationship their main purpose for watching. In some polls I have seen over 40% of respondents are threatening not to watch GA again, whilst many of these will actually come back there may be indeed be a steady decline of disgruntled viewers just as many left and never came back when other favourites left such as the character of ‘George’.

Comment by Tricky – May 29, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope Chyler stays away from any present/future Shonda projects.

Comment by Sam – May 29, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think Peter Scolari’s peen was eclipsed by the ass rash visible when he turned around. Seriously, he looked ripped up back there. Am I the only one who saw that? (Maybe I was the only one still looking at the set after the full frontal).

Comment by BottomBuddies – May 29, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish Chyler all the best!!! She’s an amazing actress, but her character didnt get enough recognition in GA.. :”( so not watching s9 without my beloved Lexie.. Shonda is full of crap. I dont trust anything comes out of her mouth, esp when it comes to Slexie

Comment by wina – May 29, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys have to keep Reeta! She is fabulously hilarious!

Comment by Mimi – June 2, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post