Awake Finale First Look: Britten's Worlds Collide! Plus, [Spoiler] Pulls a Gun on the Big Bad!

It’s a full-on “red” alert for Detective Michael Britten as NBC’s Awake wraps its season tonight at 10/9c, and TVLine has a first look photo from what promises to be one of the series-ender’s most riveting scenes.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: More Than 100 Season Premiere and Finale Dates!

As revealed in the official synopsis for the finale, titled “Turtles All the Way Down,” Britten will work relentlessly to bring down the conspirators who tore his family apart. But with time running out, and as he gets ever closer to the truth, the tormented lawman’s worlds begin to clash — as no better exemplified by the scene here, where Drs. Lee and Evans engage in an unlikely (if improbable) debate that forces Britten to choose his path.

RELATED | NBC Cancels Are You There Chelsea?, Awake, Best Friends Forever and Bent

Since Britten is still in his “red world” prison oranges, do you think it is safe to say that the two shrinks are merely figments of his vivid imagination, speaking to him almost as angels on each shoulder? But more importantly, does either of them know how to pick a jail cell lock?

UPDATE: We’ve now added a second photo, in which Harper seems to have gotten fed up with Kessel calling the shots!

Comments (45)

• I hope there’s a somewhat satisfying ending tonight. I’m really sad to see this show end.

Comment by 8daysmeg – May 24, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, me too. I really hate that it’s canceled. It was such a well-done show, and Jason Isaacs was so freaking compelling in it. I hope he gets another gig on my TV screen pronto.

Comment by Annie – May 24, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This episode had me not breathing on its last few episodes. It made “Bohemian Rhapsody” sound any creepier if that’s possible and I don’t know, my jaw always dropped at the end of it. Shame on you, NBC!

Comment by Leo – May 24, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean ending on NBC. It could still be picked up by another network.

Comment by antbee – May 24, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really hoping beyond hope that another network would pick it up for season 2. I think it deserves another chance. Jason Isaacs really does a great job and it’s a new twist to all the other police shows out there!

Comment by Missy – May 24, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • with horrible ratings, no chance of that. shame — it was a good show.

Comment by ByeBye – May 24, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed

Comment by mrsfab – May 24, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this show, Awake. So sad it was cancelled. What a mistake. The ending was great! Not sure how they could do another season with the way they ended the show although I’m sure they could say that was a dream. Why does a good show get cancelled and horrible shows stay on the air. Great writing and acting!

Comment by DP – May 24, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t really matter, since there is no season 2 :( I deleted my unwatched ones off the DVR.

Comment by Kim – May 24, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t that sad? I did the same thing with Alcatraz, they announced the cancellation before I even finished watching so I figured what’s the point? No wonder all these shows tank!

Comment by Nick – May 24, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe if more people watched than DVRed these shows would still be on (I’m speaking generally – don’t want to seem accusatory)

Comment by Jay – May 24, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My problem is that I get involved in so many series that if I didn’t record some and watch others On Demand my viewing would deplete by more than half, which wouldn’t help a lot of these canceled shows either.

Comment by elr – May 24, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Watching live only counts if you have a Nielsen box. And DVR watching only counts if you watch 3 – 7 days after it airs.

The TV ratings system is archaic.

Comment by JC – May 24, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • they only hand out so many neilson boxes…the real people that watch don’t count…it is the people with the boxes that count…so it does not matter that we dvr the shows.

Comment by Gael – May 24, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Perhaps it would be more accurate these days if they count facebook ‘likes’ of shows for ratings – sounds stupid but probably better than the system they have now – although I have always thought that surely there was a way to read how many times a signal is picked up?? I think they need to figure out a new way to rate shows, seems so many great ones disappear

Comment by Morgana – August 10, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe if Neilsen realized that DVR is the future and people that talk about the shows online in facebook twitter and formus like this are better places for their advertisers to advertise. Fringe is the best example where they would have the agents using sprint phones and driving Nissan Leaf’s as part of the show.. i would rather see product placement then commercials.

Madison Ave also needs to take a notice from mobile and the annoying ad mob or iad that shows up in one line on your phone should be at the top of every tv ad so when you fast forward the dvr the static 1 line image is there for you to get your message out.

Advertising runs the TV business but Neilsen and the advertisers will never change their ways.

Comment by Troy – May 24, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a stupid thing to do, especially with people telling you the show got better and better as the season went on. People make such foolish choices in their lives. Isaacs wins an Emmy for playing Britten then don’t you feel silly that you missed one of the greatest performances on network TV?

Comment by cool8man – May 24, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isaacs isn’t going to win an Emmy.

Comment by AB – May 24, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see how it ends. I’m a couple weeks behind, myself, but I’ll watch the last few on my DVR.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – May 24, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh Jay, we now live in a world where DVR is more convenient for a lot of us. It’s convenient for me because I work nights. Sux that some great shows(Alcatraz, GCB, Awake and Secret Circle) that had great characters or in Awake’s caset, a great lead actor. I loved Jason Isaacs in Event Horizon and the Harry potter movies and the fact he ain’t on my TV makes me sad

Comment by Bradley Martens – May 24, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Few people my age watch TV live anymore. It’s easier, faster, and more convenient to watch a recording. And before anyone gripes about ratings and cancellations – I’d tell the advertizers to think fast and find a better way to measure because no one is going back to the old way. They’ll stop watching first.

Comment by tarc – May 24, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m 2 episodes behind, but I’m still going to finish it. Cancellation doesn’t change the fact that it was a good show.

Comment by Emily – May 24, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you liked the show at all then you should definitely finish it up. Without giving anything away, you do get a proper conclusion to the story, so it’s kind of silly to give up on it just because it’s been cancelled. In the long run you can just think of it as a miniseries.

Comment by Devin Hudson (@DevinTHudson) – May 24, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agreed. I followed the first episodes and thought it’s kinda tad slow, but the last few episodes, let’s say I’m glad I stick around. The story is being wrapped so we get some kind of ‘closure’.

Comment by Leo – May 24, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still can’t believe Awake was never given a chance. It was one of the best new shows in a long time. Too bad it was NBC who picked it up. You knew right then is was DOA…

Comment by Kat – May 24, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In Canada, we were able to see the finale last night. A very unexpected but satisfying conclusion! I can hardly wait for the DVD to come out.

Comment by Carol C – May 24, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet is this becomes a cult fav like Firefly or The Prisoner. It was smart, sophisticated and challenging. No wonder it didn’t get picked up.

Comment by EL – May 24, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those of you who like Jason Isaacs as much as I do, try catching him in The State Within and Good (with Viggo Mortensen) which are both on Netflix. I am really going to miss this series. It’s hard to know what shows to invest time in when their lifespan may be abbreviated. I guess we’re just fortunate that there is some expected level of closure with tonight’s finale. I’ll just look forward to seeing Jason Isaacs in future projects.

Comment by Linderella – May 24, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t get nbc and I can’t afford cable or satelite. I only get internet on my computer by getting it on my phone. Would have loved to watch this and am still going to try to catch it here. The first episode was great. Am sure the other were awesome as well!!

Comment by david mcdonald – May 24, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad this show is ending. I keep hoping (dreaming) BBC America would pick it up or something…it’s too good to lose!

I tend to think that the “red” world is the dream and green is the reality. I’m interested to see what is answered tonight!

Comment by Kristi – May 24, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else notice how the “prison orange” brings out the blue of Jason’s eyes? Yum!

Comment by zaza – May 24, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!!! I also liked how the blood got the shirt off again!

Comment by Jennifer – May 24, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch the finale. It’s really good and gives us as much closure as they could in both worlds and of course there’s an extra twist ;)

Comment by LiftLaughLust (@LiftLaughLust) – May 24, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that this show was cancelled. I thought it was so well done and thought out that maybe the entire premise needed to only last one season. Jason should be nominated for an Emmy. In the sea of mediocre redux, this show was an island of welcome relief and now it is being washed away by a tsunami of crap! I’m BUMMED!!!!

Comment by Mare Laurenson – May 24, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sux that the show’s ending. I enjoyed it. It was definitely different. Perhaps another channel will pick it up. I understand The River is being picked up by another channel, so hopefully Awake will too.

Comment by Teresa Tidwell Willoughby – May 24, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt that the ending was more of a sell-out…I don’t see how they could’ve done a second season with the ending that they had.

Comment by Bendreaux – May 24, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show, I hope they bring it back. That’s how it always is, they get rid of quality shows and keep shows on like Family Guy:(

Comment by Charmyn – May 24, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was satisfied with the finale and really sad

Comment by fiona – May 24, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see so many other people agreeing with me about the show. Usually I have a tendency to find shows that nobody watches. I enjoy them heartily, and then they get canceled. At least this time, I don’t feel like I’m alone in my disappointment over the cancellation.

Comment by Reverend Flash – May 24, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What were you thinking NBC?!?! Bring it back!

Comment by bob – May 24, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a great show, agreed! But rather than lamenting its passing, isn’t there anything we the fans can do about it? If we emailed NBC……..? I realize this is a long shot, but stranger things have happened. Does anyone other than me think it’s worth a try.

Comment by Richard Ringo – May 24, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even the showrunner has called time of death. It was good while it lasted.

Move on.

Comment by Rock Golf – May 25, 2012 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F!-i loved this show :(

Comment by awake lover – May 24, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was a really good show. But it probably makes people think too much and stimulates the mind. The powers that be want you to stay dumbed down. Keep watching dumb shows with insulting laugh tracks to dull the mind.

Comment by F Face – May 28, 2012 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post