Exclusive

Awake Finale First Look: Britten's Worlds Collide! Plus, [Spoiler] Pulls a Gun on the Big Bad!

It’s a full-on “red” alert for Detective Michael Britten as NBC’s Awake wraps its season tonight at 10/9c, and TVLine has a first look photo from what promises to be one of the series-ender’s most riveting scenes.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: More Than 100 Season Premiere and Finale Dates!

As revealed in the official synopsis for the finale, titled “Turtles All the Way Down,” Britten will work relentlessly to bring down the conspirators who tore his family apart. But with time running out, and as he gets ever closer to the truth, the tormented lawman’s worlds begin to clash — as no better exemplified by the scene here, where Drs. Lee and Evans engage in an unlikely (if improbable) debate that forces Britten to choose his path.

RELATED | NBC Cancels Are You There Chelsea?, Awake, Best Friends Forever and Bent

Since Britten is still in his “red world” prison oranges, do you think it is safe to say that the two shrinks are merely figments of his vivid imagination, speaking to him almost as angels on each shoulder? But more importantly, does either of them know how to pick a jail cell lock?

UPDATE: We’ve now added a second photo, in which Harper seems to have gotten fed up with Kessel calling the shots!

1. 8daysmeg says:

I hope there’s a somewhat satisfying ending tonight. I’m really sad to see this show end.

• Annie says:

Yep, me too. I really hate that it’s canceled. It was such a well-done show, and Jason Isaacs was so freaking compelling in it. I hope he gets another gig on my TV screen pronto.

• Leo says:

This episode had me not breathing on its last few episodes. It made “Bohemian Rhapsody” sound any creepier if that’s possible and I don’t know, my jaw always dropped at the end of it. Shame on you, NBC!

• antbee says:

You mean ending on NBC. It could still be picked up by another network.

• Missy says:

Really hoping beyond hope that another network would pick it up for season 2. I think it deserves another chance. Jason Isaacs really does a great job and it’s a new twist to all the other police shows out there!

• ByeBye says:

with horrible ratings, no chance of that. shame — it was a good show.

• mrsfab says:

agreed

• DP says:

I love this show, Awake. So sad it was cancelled. What a mistake. The ending was great! Not sure how they could do another season with the way they ended the show although I’m sure they could say that was a dream. Why does a good show get cancelled and horrible shows stay on the air. Great writing and acting!

2. Kim says:

Doesn’t really matter, since there is no season 2 :( I deleted my unwatched ones off the DVR.

• Nick says:

Isn’t that sad? I did the same thing with Alcatraz, they announced the cancellation before I even finished watching so I figured what’s the point? No wonder all these shows tank!

• Jay says:

Maybe if more people watched than DVRed these shows would still be on (I’m speaking generally – don’t want to seem accusatory)

• elr says:

My problem is that I get involved in so many series that if I didn’t record some and watch others On Demand my viewing would deplete by more than half, which wouldn’t help a lot of these canceled shows either.

• JC says:

Watching live only counts if you have a Nielsen box. And DVR watching only counts if you watch 3 – 7 days after it airs.

The TV ratings system is archaic.

• Gael says:

they only hand out so many neilson boxes…the real people that watch don’t count…it is the people with the boxes that count…so it does not matter that we dvr the shows.

• Morgana says:

Perhaps it would be more accurate these days if they count facebook ‘likes’ of shows for ratings – sounds stupid but probably better than the system they have now – although I have always thought that surely there was a way to read how many times a signal is picked up?? I think they need to figure out a new way to rate shows, seems so many great ones disappear

• Troy says:

Maybe if Neilsen realized that DVR is the future and people that talk about the shows online in facebook twitter and formus like this are better places for their advertisers to advertise. Fringe is the best example where they would have the agents using sprint phones and driving Nissan Leaf’s as part of the show.. i would rather see product placement then commercials.

Madison Ave also needs to take a notice from mobile and the annoying ad mob or iad that shows up in one line on your phone should be at the top of every tv ad so when you fast forward the dvr the static 1 line image is there for you to get your message out.

Advertising runs the TV business but Neilsen and the advertisers will never change their ways.

• cool8man says:

What a stupid thing to do, especially with people telling you the show got better and better as the season went on. People make such foolish choices in their lives. Isaacs wins an Emmy for playing Britten then don’t you feel silly that you missed one of the greatest performances on network TV?

3. I want to see how it ends. I’m a couple weeks behind, myself, but I’ll watch the last few on my DVR.

4. Uh Jay, we now live in a world where DVR is more convenient for a lot of us. It’s convenient for me because I work nights. Sux that some great shows(Alcatraz, GCB, Awake and Secret Circle) that had great characters or in Awake’s caset, a great lead actor. I loved Jason Isaacs in Event Horizon and the Harry potter movies and the fact he ain’t on my TV makes me sad

• tarc says:

Few people my age watch TV live anymore. It’s easier, faster, and more convenient to watch a recording. And before anyone gripes about ratings and cancellations – I’d tell the advertizers to think fast and find a better way to measure because no one is going back to the old way. They’ll stop watching first.

5. Emily says:

I’m 2 episodes behind, but I’m still going to finish it. Cancellation doesn’t change the fact that it was a good show.

6. If you liked the show at all then you should definitely finish it up. Without giving anything away, you do get a proper conclusion to the story, so it’s kind of silly to give up on it just because it’s been cancelled. In the long run you can just think of it as a miniseries.

• Leo says:

I agreed. I followed the first episodes and thought it’s kinda tad slow, but the last few episodes, let’s say I’m glad I stick around. The story is being wrapped so we get some kind of ‘closure’.

7. Kat says:

Still can’t believe Awake was never given a chance. It was one of the best new shows in a long time. Too bad it was NBC who picked it up. You knew right then is was DOA…

8. Carol C says:

In Canada, we were able to see the finale last night. A very unexpected but satisfying conclusion! I can hardly wait for the DVD to come out.

9. EL says:

My bet is this becomes a cult fav like Firefly or The Prisoner. It was smart, sophisticated and challenging. No wonder it didn’t get picked up.

10. Linderella says:

Those of you who like Jason Isaacs as much as I do, try catching him in The State Within and Good (with Viggo Mortensen) which are both on Netflix. I am really going to miss this series. It’s hard to know what shows to invest time in when their lifespan may be abbreviated. I guess we’re just fortunate that there is some expected level of closure with tonight’s finale. I’ll just look forward to seeing Jason Isaacs in future projects.

11. I can’t get nbc and I can’t afford cable or satelite. I only get internet on my computer by getting it on my phone. Would have loved to watch this and am still going to try to catch it here. The first episode was great. Am sure the other were awesome as well!!

12. Kristi says:

I’m so sad this show is ending. I keep hoping (dreaming) BBC America would pick it up or something…it’s too good to lose!

I tend to think that the “red” world is the dream and green is the reality. I’m interested to see what is answered tonight!

13. zaza says:

Anyone else notice how the “prison orange” brings out the blue of Jason’s eyes? Yum!

14. Watch the finale. It’s really good and gives us as much closure as they could in both worlds and of course there’s an extra twist ;)

15. Mare Laurenson says:

I can’t believe that this show was cancelled. I thought it was so well done and thought out that maybe the entire premise needed to only last one season. Jason should be nominated for an Emmy. In the sea of mediocre redux, this show was an island of welcome relief and now it is being washed away by a tsunami of crap! I’m BUMMED!!!!

16. That sux that the show’s ending. I enjoyed it. It was definitely different. Perhaps another channel will pick it up. I understand The River is being picked up by another channel, so hopefully Awake will too.

17. Bendreaux says:

I felt that the ending was more of a sell-out…I don’t see how they could’ve done a second season with the ending that they had.

18. Charmyn says:

Great show, I hope they bring it back. That’s how it always is, they get rid of quality shows and keep shows on like Family Guy:(

19. fiona says:

I was satisfied with the finale and really sad

20. So glad to see so many other people agreeing with me about the show. Usually I have a tendency to find shows that nobody watches. I enjoy them heartily, and then they get canceled. At least this time, I don’t feel like I’m alone in my disappointment over the cancellation.

21. bob says:

What were you thinking NBC?!?! Bring it back!

22. Richard Ringo says:

It was a great show, agreed! But rather than lamenting its passing, isn’t there anything we the fans can do about it? If we emailed NBC……..? I realize this is a long shot, but stranger things have happened. Does anyone other than me think it’s worth a try.

23. awake lover says:

F!-i loved this show :(

24. F Face says:

That was a really good show. But it probably makes people think too much and stimulates the mind. The powers that be want you to stay dumbed down. Keep watching dumb shows with insulting laugh tracks to dull the mind.