Revenge Season Finale Recap: Long Live the Queen [UPDATED]

Revenge Season FinaleIf you have yet to watch last night’s Revenge season finale, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, please proceed…

This season’s Revenge finale should’ve had one of those warnings before it, you know, the kind they put on rollercoasters and Jacuzzis? Those with heart conditions should probably stay away? Because with so many huge developments coming so quickly in the last 15 minutes, even those of us with healthy tickers got a little sweaty and antsy. So let’s take a deep breath, pull ourselves together, and dissect the big deals that took place in “Reckoning.”

Emily and Daniel are done | After Em hid the packet of Grayson-damning information from Daniel’s briefcase, she led her fiancé (and by proxy, Conrad) to believe that the White Haired Man stole it. That caused a giant Grayson freakout, including a security sweep of Grayson Manor that unearthed Emily’s bugs in the study. Needing help with some encrypted data, Em turned to Nolan and soon learned WHM had him chained to a wall of a torture chamber… which she soon found herself chained to, as well. “Good morning, sunshine. If you came here to rescue me, you might want a do-over,” snarked her bowl-cut-sporting pal. But our girl had a plan (doesn’t she always?). She bought them time by sending WHM to find the info in a locker at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (pick me up a Cinnabon! And try to avoid the crazy guy who hangs out by the public phones!), then freed them by using a lock-pick she’d somehow secreted away in her sleeve. As Nolan hurried off to give the actual evidence, which she’d hidden in his desk, to the feds, Emily stuck around to beat the snot out of the returning (and seriously cheesed-off) WHM. Their fight — which included one of the episode’s several references to Emily’s mom — ended with her thisclose to snuffing out the snowy henchman, but a memory of her father telling her she was full of love made her draw back at the last moment. “I thought you came here to honor your father,” he sneered. “I just did,” she said. The blonde’s night got worse when she returned home to find Daniel raring for a fight, thanks to Ashley’s whispers about what she’d seen from Amanda’s porch the night before. Nursing a split lip and looking like all she wanted was a pint of Ben & Jerry’s and a warm bath, Emily resignedly admitted that she and Jack had kissed, then handed Daniel back his ring as she said they weren’t right for each other anymore. Later, we watched a very cagey Ashley offer Daniel faux sympathy about the breakup as they shared a drink.

Amanda is pregnant! | Free of Daniel and waiting for official news of Grayson Global’s demise, Emily and Nolan celebrated at his place. (Side note: “Champagne is always appropriate” is my new motto.) In a lovely, sweet scene, the friends dished about Emily’s plan to tell Jack everything. After she made plans to visit the barkeep that night, Em and Noles clinked glasses in tribute to David’s memory. It was touching and cute and gorgeously lit and all the more terrible because you just knew something horrendous was about to happen. And when Em arrived at The Stowaway, she and Jack barely had time to gaze longingly at each other before that something horrendous waddled out from back room. “Jack and I are going to have a baby,” Amanda announced, patting her protruding belly. I call shenanigans on that one right now. Even in a show that likes to play fast and loose with timelines, that belly is not a four-month belly. That belly is at least a seven-month belly. That belly can practically register for its first day of preschool. It’s totally possible that Amanda was pregnant before she first arrived in the Hamptons. But enough with the pulling fast ones on Emily, people. A little reduction in hubris every once in a while is healthy, but there’s only so much a girl can take!

The Initiative are some mean suckers | As Conrad and the WHM powwowed at Grayson Global, the latter futzed around the office, paying special attention to a clock (what is with this guy and timepieces?) and the picture containing Emily’s video link to the office. If there were any doubt that he knew someone was keeping tabs on Conrad via that frame, it was obliterated when he winked directly into the camera. Is it possible that WHM and Emily are working toward the same end? Back at her place, Little Miss Spies-a-Lot looked properly gobsmacked. As much as I love Emily, I do like it when someone gets the jump on her. It freshens things up a bit. And her nemesis, Victoria, had her share of surprises throughout the episode, as well. When SEC Agent McGowen informed Vicky that Conrad had ordered David Clarke’s death, it was clearly news to her. And when Daniel came out staunchly on Team Conrad, even in light of his part in David’s murder, it earned him a stinging slap from his mom. “I have done some heinous things in my life, but now I have a chance to right a terrible wrong,” she vowed. Then she rallied Lydia to testify against Conrad in exchange for immunity, despite the fact that she’d just agreed to marry the silver fox hours before! It might’ve had something to do with Victoria’s terrifying speech, in which she asserted, “When I’m done with him, it’ll make your taxicab bounce look like a trip to St. Tropez!” Yowza. And also, awesome. Queen Vic had one more heated exchange with Conrad — he said David’s death had been ordered by people far above him and added, “If you board that plane, it’ll be the last thing you do!” — before she and Lydia met Agent McGowen at the airport. A close re-watching shows that we saw Lydia on the stairs, but not actually on the plane. We saw Victoria enter the plane all the way, and then we saw WHM, dressed as airport staff, out near one of the jet’s rear wheels. And the next thing we knew, Charlotte — with severe blabber’s remorse after making her classmates aware of Jaime’s underage affair with a former history teacher — was watching a newscaster report on the explosion that took down her mother’s plane. Despondent, and smarting at Declan’s rebuff, Charlie downed a bunch of pills and passed out on her bed, where Conrad later found her.

Emily’s mom is still around | Leave it to Nolan to save the day. Though Emily thought everyone and everything that could exonerate her father was on the plane, her buddy had made a backup of the disk he handed over to the SEC. Yay! Warning her that Americon Initiative, which handled the original cover-up, was far bigger than they’d imagined, he screened some surveillance footage of Victoria talking about a deep David Clarke secret. “What she’s saying is that your mother’s alive,” Nolan told her, pausing the reel. Beside the tears in her eyes, Emily’s face was unreadable as she said, “Let it play.”

What do you think? Which surprise hit you the hardest? Which did you see coming from a mile away? Do you think Queen Victoria (not to mention Lydia) is really gone? And let’s get the casting buzz started early: Who should play Emily’s mother? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. sandyS says:

Best Episode Ever….Em’s Mom should be Carrie-Ann Moss

2. Ashton says:

No way Victoria is dead, also i really hope they don’t kill off Charolete I like her. Also I think they can do so much more with Ashley’s character than what they are doing. This is the most clever/cunning person and they are putting her in stereotypical roles. Other than that I’m excited to see what happens next.

3. Like most here, I’ll chime in and say that that was a crazy finale.

In our recap we break down which cliffhangers worked (baby! mom!) and which didn’t (Charlotte’s OD! Vic’s dead!).

Looking forward the second season now!

4. Patty says:

I´m still shocked! I was really surprised about the whole baby Amanda thing, but mostly the part where Emily broke down, that was a nice touch for the show, showing her soft side, also the scene toasting with Nolan and the one where she remembered her father. I seems like there is so much more to Emily.
    I hate Jack!! He should have called Emily before she came to the bar, or he should have met her outside!! I just hope he cuestions Amanda and really find out if it is his baby!
    I hate Ashley too! She is such a bitch! She always wanted to be with Daniel! Well, I guess they deserve each other!

And the most shocking: the plane crash! wow, but the hesitation that Victoria had, before going up the stairs tell me she will survive somehow!

I love Revenge, it kind of remainds me of Prison break, with all the suspense! And also the mom being alive! I only hope like WHM said, she is a fighter, not the bad guy.

5. Michael says:

Best line of the recap:
    That belly can practically register for its first day of preschool.

6. emily post says:

i loved the empty engagement gift

7. Lynn says:

I HIGHLY DOUBT Victoria is dead.

8. Ally says:

The Baby in Fauxmanda’s belly could very well be Jack’s. She met Jack around June or July I think (sometime around Independence Day) and now its the new year (recall the new years party). So that’s at least 6 months so its possible. I’m not sure what the white-haired man will do with the info of Emily’s true identity plus he knows Nolan is in league with her…not sure I like that.

• RB says:

Emily only moved to the Hamptons around Independence day because of the Grayson’s party she attended when she first met Daniel. My guess is that Amanda came into the picture around mid to late August which is only 4-5 months. What if the baby was Frank’s…maybe they “got it on” before Amanda killed him when he came to get her at the strip club. Probably not, but just a theory

9. Ally says:

I wonder how the Japanese guy fits in with all of this…

10. A says:

Ashley is the Ellis of Revenge. I really don’t like her.

11. oliver says:

omg i was so excited as to how the finale will leave me hanging. but this was to a whole new level. but i can’t accept that victoria greyson is dead!!! she can’t be..she is one of the biggest asset on this show.

12. joy says:

What a fantastic finale..I am really starting to think that nolan and emily are related and the perhaps Nolans aunt is her mom..The whole part of her showing up on the porch when nolan sent em the wrong address last week and saying ‘what would your father think” sounds like a very motherly thing to say

13. Jen says:

I like the theory that WHM is a double agent…Conrad trusts him but he’s actually working for Emily’s mom…to that end, his “murder” David Clark could have actually been a cover up, just as i assume Victoria’s “death” is going to be. David Clark could still be alive and hiding out as well. Takeda is clearly in on this and is tasked with trying to get Emily to do her part (she doesn’t realize that everything she’s doing is a part of someone else’s larger plan). Amanda has been brought over to the dark side and is now Takeda’s spy. He knows if pregnant Amanda is around, Jack won’t cause Emily to become unfocused on her objective. If this is the case, I highly doubt that we’ll actually meet Emily’s mother until close to the end of the series. Too many other levels of information to sift through first. Her future takedown of Daniel and Ashley is going to be amazing. Something to look forward to.

• Layla says:

I agree with everything you said except that the mother will be in the next season and prominently. Just read an interview with Mike Kelly (creator) and the mother will be a very complicated soul who will make Em think about her own psyche DNA. So she has to be a very string character. I think she worked with WHM and I really hope he comes back, great actor. They need some new blood to throw in. I think the weakest character is Jack’s brother, wish he woukd get sent away and bring in another interest for Charlotte, and Ashley will be used more Kelly said. I think Takeda is part of the master plan. And Nolan is related to Emily.

14. Onno says:

You know at least one series regular died sam the dog died and he was in a lot of episodes.poor sam i’ll miss him rest of the finale best one or at least top 3 of this whole season

15. suevee says:

My favorite line from the recap: Little Miss Spies-a-Lot looked properly gobsmacked ha ha ha. I hope I find a way to use it.

16. Ella says:

Geez, this finale was like a bollywood flick from the 90′s. Quite ridiculous. I loathe Amanda and hope she is lying about it being Jack’s baby. We were SO close to Jack and Emily! Grr. Charlotte’s poor little rich girl act is far from endearing and I hope she’s a goner. Truly, this is not a character I have any sympathy for, given her malice this week. She’s like her mother – claiming to be good but actually horribly ugly underneath. Not too concerned about Victoria’s wellfare either, but since she’s first-billed, I highly doubt she’s dead.

17. Sue says:

I still think Marcia cross would.be the best for the part

• JK says:

She would be great, but she’s already stated in her post DH interviews that she wants to take time off and focus on her twins. Also, she’s wildly expensive ($400,000+ per episode for DH and she left MP because they wouldn’t match her salary to Heather Locklear’s), so that might work against her.

18. Karen says:

The other main character to die was in the 2nd to last show….poor Sammy. That really was sad.

19. Flora says:

Seen from miles away: Emily’s mom is still alive (the speculation on this board alone guessed that months ago), the plane blowing up was predictible (afterall, this is the same organization that organized the original terrorist act of blowing up a plane that started this whole story).

Surprise (to me anyway, but if I were a fan of conventional soap operas I probably would have also seen it coming): Amanda being 6 months pregnant. That means she was still Coyote-Uglying up the bar with a bun in the ove’. Ew.

• asdfghkj says:

but she might not even be pregnant. who know what she’d do to get jack back! it could be a complete fake! :/

20. JK says:

Renewal is not looking good for “The Big C,” so if it doesn’t get the green light for a fourth season, I think Laura Linney would be PERFECT as Emily’s (Amanda’s) mom. She can switch from sweet, to tough, to ice like lightning and is one of the best actresses working.

• JK says:

Also, she’s won 3 out of 4 Emmys, is a 3-time Oscar nominee, has a raft of Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, and critics awards, and has been nominated for a couple of Tonys, and shows love to add prestige and cast “Emmy bait.” :-)

• Layla says:

Laura is an excellent choice too!

21. Am I the only one who wanted to see some actual tummy-turning revenge and was plainly disappointed with this pretty subtle finale? I got to this site by googling “revenge finale sucked”… and was surprised to see all the excitement. I guess I don’t have “it”. OK, so I’ll gladly watch another season to hopefully get the “fix” I was looking for – but I really hope it won’t turn into a 4-5 seasons thing like Prison Break.

22. T. says:

Maybe Lydia is her mom!

23. Elle says:

I can’t believe the news reported the ‘deaths’ without the familes being notified first.

• smidnite says:

Yes, this is supposed to be done to prevent what happened to Charlotte; someone learning of a family member’s demise on the news.

Unless it’s a hoax…

24. kim anderson says:

I think Madeline Stowe died in the crash. I think Lydia is actually Emily’s mother and that Nolan is a brother. I think Charlotte is going to take over the role of evil step sister.

25. RB says:

What if Lydia was her mom?!?

26. revenge lover says:

revenge’s so good! somehow i still don’t think that david clark is actually dead! and also i think emily and nolan should be together because no one really notices how cute they are together!! :) they are so made for eachother though!

27. Clarkey says:

Jennifer Jason Leigh to play Emily/Amanda’s mum.

Hurry along series 2, and bring Victoria with you !! Of course she’s not dead, but i think we all knew that.

28. This web page does not display correctly on my blackberry – you may want to try and repair that