House Boss David Shore Answers Burning Finale Qs, Addresses Cuddy, Foreman, Kutner Mysteries

House Series FinaleAs of Monday’s finale, House is officially dead and buried — the show, not the title grump — and, in its wake, we’re left with eight years of memories and a dozen burning questions.

Now, the guy we have to thank for those memories, series creator David Shore, has volunteered to also solve — or at least address — the episode’s biggest mysteries.

So read on, then scroll down further for a photo gallery featuring highlights from last night’s swan song.

TVLINE | Was there ever a point where you thought about really killing him?
Yes. Everything was on the table. But it was considered for that long, partly because I want the series to live on. The idea of people thinking that House is dead is a weird thing to leave people with. It ultimately felt better to have him out there with Wilson doing who knows what. I thought that was a really nice thing to leave people with and to let them put their imprint on that in their own mind.

TVLINE | How did he manage to survive the floor collapsing in on him and the subsequent explosion?
It was supposed to be ambiguous as to whether the floor collapsed on him or in front of him; certainly it was nasty stuff. There are a few seconds between the collapse and the explosion. He narrowly got out the back.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview — Your Guide to All the New Shows

TVLINE | Was the homage to Sherlock Holmes famously faking his death intentional?
From the moment we had the idea, I was aware that that’s what Arthur Conan Doyle did and that did tickle me. We didn’t say, “That’s what Sherlock Holmes did — we should do that.”

TVLINE | Of all the cameos in the episode, which was the trickiest to coordinate/accommodate?
There were scheduling issues with everyone. It was very tricky. Because all of the actors had gone on and done really good stuff. My hat goes off to my old production crew for just physically putting that schedule together.

TVLINE | Is it fair to say that Stacy filled the Cuddy void in this episode?
I don’t want to make it seem like it was one or the other, but had [Lisa Edelstein been available] she might’ve done something [similar]. But we knew before we even had written it who we had available.

MAY SWEEPS SCORECARD | Find Out Who Died, Got Hitched, Reunited, Split Up and More!

TVLINE | I really liked how you made a point of showing that Cameron ends up happy and fulfilled in her personal life. Did you ever consider reuniting her with Chase in the end?
No, because there would’ve been too much backstory to fill in.

TVLINE | How did the fire in the abandoned building start?
It’s actually alluded to. There was more about it in the original cut of the episode. There is a reference to the fact that the guy fell asleep while smoking. That’s how he got the burns on his chest. He presumably passed out while on heroin and dropped the cigarette and the fire started.

TVLINE | What was the deal with the gum Kutner put on the POTW’s shoe?
[Laughs] You shouldn’t read too much into that. That just seemed amusing to have a hallucination chewing gum and interacting with the real world.

TVLINE | Why did you choose “Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think)” for the final scene? Ever consider using “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” just to maintain the symmetry with the pilot?
We did consider that briefly. The Warren Zevon song that we used before it, I had wanted to use that; it just felt really nice. And then Hugh [Laurie] came to me one day while we were shooting [the episode] and said, “I have the perfect song for the final scene.” So I decided to stick two songs in there. We’re all about cutting against what people think we’re going to do. So going with this weird, uplifting song [about] dying had a really nice feeling to it.

FIRST PHOTO | Jesse Spencer in NBC’s New Drama Series Chicago Fire

TVLINE | In the final moments, Foreman finds House’s nametag under his wobbly table. Does he know House is alive?
The notion is that Foreman had pieced it together and figured it out.

TVLINE | Lastly, what do you picture House doing once Wilson is dead?
I don’t know. That’s way down the road. And that’s not what it was about. The story is the story. And the story ends when the story ends.

TVLINE | Can you see revisiting this character in the future in some way?
I love this character. And I know Hugh loves this character. I keep it open, but the chances of that happening from a practical point of view are slim. I would hate to lock in my head, “I will never revisit this character again.” That would be a depressing idea to me.

Comments (332)

• I enjoyed the series and the finally, especially the last 10 minutes or so. However, I think you can take the outcome two ways; 1. House cheats death, and spends the next 5 months touring the countryside with Wilson, or 2. House is dead, and Wilson getting a page from House, meeting him outside the apartment, and rinding off together is really Wilson hallucinating (sp). Notice the final motorcycle scene, both sart out riding together, then one speeds off up the road ahead of the other. Is this an indication that House is dead and that he is ahead up the road in the after life with Wilson just behind him? Would the writers of the show admit to this possibility? I think they leave it up to us, the viewers, to see is as we want to since either way, all the shows characters move on with life in peace. Time for all of us to leave it in peace as well. Thanks to all involved with a great show, and a special thanks to Mr. Laurie, you will be sorely missed on american TV sir.

All the best!!

Comment by foxviewer68 – May 23, 2012 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s a nice thought, but I think it’s more of a symbol that it’s illegal (and unsafe) to ride side-by-side on motorcycles.

Comment by Matt – May 23, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol, very true, especially on a mountain road! I just like to think of the “what if” angle to this.

Comment by foxviewer68 – May 23, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If not an autopsy done on the burn victim, then dental records would have proven the body was NOT that of House.

Comment by Trish – May 23, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except that House switched medical records which he would have access to since he was treating the patient.

Comment by Rich – May 23, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But why would he have switched records unless he knew the patient was going to die soon, then set the fire to fake his own death.

Comment by Trish – May 23, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show. Of course, not every episode was perfect. But compared to most other shows available today, the writing and the acting was far superior. Although there was a basic formula to most of the episodes, the character development and the interplay between characters was always interesting and didn’t insult the intelligence of the audience. I enjoyed that many episodes followed a theme that connected independent stories within the episodes. I related to the overall show because I saw it as an illustration of the search for meaning in life while trying to recognize and overcome personal flaws.

I will miss this show. But I am glad that it ended before it fell into a recycling of the same old ideas and that the quest for money never outweighed the quest for quality.

Comment by Rich – May 23, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was excellent, it was nice to bring back people that had influenced House. The last part you had to think about, House proved that he could really care about someone else besides himself. He made the ultimate choice to be with Wilson during his last few months…House all along was a self centered individual and finally he was able to see things in a different light and truly care about someone.

Comment by Kelly – May 23, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, I didn’t really like the finale. Look forward to a future follow-up program with Wilson in remission with House by his side getting into all sorts of antics and using their medical knowledge.

If you didn’t like the series then why watch – there is plenty to choose from. That is what the remote is for – change the channel. We all have the right to like different stuff but don’t begrudge us the right to like House. Yes, it’s not for everyone. At least I am one fan and I hope to see more of House and Mr. Laurie in the future.

Comment by susan white – May 23, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They went off to die together.

Comment by Elle – May 23, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone who has followed House from the beginning I was initially satisfied with the ending. However, the more I thought about how his death would affect his mother the more I was disturbed by his actions. Losing a child is probably one of the worst possible things to endure. So while he’s out having fun his mother is in mourning. Would House really have thrown everything away for Wilson? I highly doubt it. People don’t change.

Comment by Walt – May 23, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where did you get the idea that he EVER cared about his mother? I certainly didn’t get that idea. The only nice thing he ever said about her was, “she’s not as boring as I thought,” or something like that.

Comment by Elle – May 23, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the reference to Carpe Diem and Dead Poets Society, which Wilson was in and Carpe Diem is what lead Wilson to try out for the play which ultimately lead to his character committing suicide

Comment by Jim J. – May 23, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the series finale! A new favorite of mine in series finale’s I’ve watched. They hit all the right notes and for me at least, it left us with a perfect and satisfying ending that leaves the door open for the imagination to run free. Thanks Shore, Laurie, and the rest of the cast for 8 great seasons. Oh! And again thank you Hugh Laurie for the fantastic retrospective Swan Song; it was way better then I thought it would be. It was actually REALLY enjoyable and a touching & respectful goodbye.

Comment by Scarlett – May 23, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still wish I knew the Kutner back-story, and am very disappointed that that was never explored or at the very least revealed in the last episode.

Comment by Elle – May 23, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be better if house was dead & normally walking house could be better if it was just in Wilson’s mind. Otherwise the ending won’t be strong as the rest of the episodes. It’s a dark tvshows, you can’t end it cheesy…

Comment by azin – May 23, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, they did end it cheesy and most people liked it.

I think there was a hidden agenda in the ending though. Follow me here: Wilson has 5 months to live. House told his hallucination of Cameron, “I can change.” House faked his own death, and, as Wilson says, he can never come back from that. It would add years to his jail term and he’d never be able to practice medicine again. So, as House said to Wilson, “I’m dead.” House had given up everything, finally and completely destroyed his own life so that he doesn’t have to go back to jail and can never practice medicine again. They are both dead men walking, in a way. Wilson tells House, “When the cancer gets bad…” House says, “Cancer is boring.” You can easily interpret this scene to mean that they are going off die do that double suicide everyone really wanted to see!

I’m not a dark person, but after I thought about it for a couple of hours, running it over and over in my head, this is what I came up with. And I was utlimately disappointed in the ending at that point. Perhaps you can be happy with my interpretation of how they ended it? They both end up dead.

I think it’s a terrible ending, and I wish I hadn’t thought about it so much. But everyone had me primed for the double-suicide, so I guess I was ready for it. But when you go back to the very first episode, House was a jerk, but at the end, he was at the soccer field (or maybe it was rugby or lacrosse?) and he was visualizing the life the boy he’d just saved would live.

THAT was the House that I loved. They lost him somewhere along the way.

Comment by Elle – May 23, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I never saw House as a jerk. I’m in pain myself most of the time, so can relate with him. I just wish I was a genius too.

Comment by azin – May 28, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I though it would have been great if the very last patient actually HAD sarcoidosis!

Comment by Elle – May 23, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the series and am still sad over its ending. I’d like to think that House did indeed change at the end because of his love for Wilson. But Wilson was his true crutch in life. When he is gone from House’s life, House will finally live up to his true potential as a caring human being.

Comment by Pauline P – May 23, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ending has grown on me over time. I’m really happy with it. I imagine Foreman would clue Chase in at some point that House is alive, but he’d be the only one probably. The greatest Bromance on TV and they just showed how much he loves Wilson and needs to be there for him. It was so sweet. There were other guests I wish they’d gotten (the lady he fell in love with at the hospital, Cuddy, Tritter, Chi McBride, any of them really) but they got some great ones and I’m grateful for that. I’ll miss you, House! Best of luck to the cast and crew on future endeavors!

Comment by Lisa – May 24, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totally agree with what the majority have said, to all those fans who have seen every episode of House it was the most fitting finale they could have produced. House was a groundbreaking show, Hugh Laurie was the only actor who could have played him. He IS House, and he was House to the very end.

Comment by Lauren – May 24, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lauren, love your comment about HL. He truly IS House. House lives!

Comment by Mark – May 24, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t always get what you want, but if try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.

Comment by Chris – May 24, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cuddy was the love of House’s life

Comment by Com – May 25, 2012 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol hahahaha thanks 4 the laugh.

Comment by @ com – May 26, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ” If I had to choose between saving everyone or loving you & being happy, I choose you. I choose being happy with you. I’ll always choose you!” THIS!

Comment by Christa – May 28, 2012 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HAVE Sarcoidosis and was amused at how many times that disease was suggested over the years!

Comment by bmoore – May 25, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL

Comment by Amy – May 26, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They finished up a great series with one of the best love stories in television,Wilson was the only one House truely loved and their love story set the bar really high in tv drama, Brilliantly told by DS and others,Its a shame they did not have another season to continue to explore it Should have had more seasons with these two, House and Wilson were the story,
    The finale summed up well -House rejects any conventional relationship as fantasy and decides to live for the one person he truely loves ironically by giving up his life for him! House would have done that for NO ONE but Wilson,Wilsons scene in Holding On in the car was one of the best love scenes Ive seen in television ,There have been many awful attempts at love scenes none with the impact this one had.RSL =Emmy for this,
    “I need you to tell me you love me” That translates into the most profound expression of love Ive seen a character do in a long time, He was telling House how much he loved him and needed him,Thank you DS for these amazing complex characters,
    Loved all the returning actors,,

Comment by Pat – May 26, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me gusto mucho Jennifer y Hugh ue muy bonito todos la echamos en falta fue la mejor !

Comment by jhon – May 27, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to love this show, so much so that I have been watching even as it has become more and more melodramatic, and as all the best characters have left or been killed off. House’s acerbic personality and mischievous intelligence counteracted all of the bs melodrama. But lately the show has just been one big ball of suck all the time. It’s downer after downer – jail, cancer, the insanity with Cutty, and House getting called out on basically every thing he does. Let’s admit it: the fun part of the show was how House cheerfully flaunted the rules. The viewer was on his side because ultimately he was right. It might not have been all that realistic, but it was fun as hell to watch. That was the “verve” of the show. But some seriously ploddy, depressed/depressing, literally minded writers got their hands on this show one or two seasons ago and wrote it into the ground. Too bad they ruined it, there aren’t really any other intelligent characters like Gregory House on TV.

Comment by emilea – May 29, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, the two newest characters – both of the women doctors – are and always have been total anchors weighing down the show. Those characters are another example of the writers going waaayyy downhill: intended to bring new energy to the show, instead they are are the worst kind of moralistic: hesitant yet pendantic and flat-out boring. They don’t DO anything.

Comment by emilea – May 29, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re all wish you to continue and make the next 9th , 10th … episode!!!!!

Comment by Smartsler – May 30, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they ended the series now instead of letting it drag out another couple of seasons like what happened with X-Files. Now, if they’ll just do the kind thing with Dexter…

Comment by Trish – May 30, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m late getting to this discussion and have enjoyed reading all the comments. As a devoted fan of Dr. House(don’t we all wish we could find an s.o.b. doctor who actually helps us!), I’m even more loyal to Hugh Laurie and esp. Robert Sean Leonard(who is remarkable in everything he’s ever been in). Here’s the thing—after so looking forward to the finale, the phone rang…it was a long-lost friend, who, even tho I told her I had to get off to watch, just wouldn’t quit—so—help! Where can I watch or find a copy of the finale??

Bon Voyage, House—what a class act!!

Comment by Julia – June 10, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excuse for my english but i’m french so.. i just wanted to ask one question i didn’t understand when shore answered the question is that foreman discovered taht house was alive or not?! thank you for your answer:)

Comment by amina – June 17, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Foreman knew House was alive. David Shore has said so.

Comment by Isabella Fiske McFarlin – July 5, 2012 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was pretty obvious by his expression, too.

• which episode in house MD did foreman’s mention his mom death in front of the house department

Comment by mellay – July 31, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Final was low budget, sad and tired. Psycho babble, dream states, neither open or shut doors. Probably worst episode of whole series.
    Only saving grace, was Wilsons phone text message, and their ride off into the sunset, but bad song choice?

Comment by Pap Smear – August 10, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • make the House movie “after Wilson’s death”…it will be the best longest most perfect House’s “episode” ever

Comment by Sherif Bugzy – September 9, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Bugzy, surely something like this is coming, and it’ll be superb. Reading back over some very creative and outrageous ideas about the future for the House bunch, I L’dOL at the one where they end up in the Amazon with nuns and jungle medicine! What a cool bunch of people on this thread:)

Comment by Julia – September 9, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’ve been through the whole thing and come out the other end in tears. What an awesome series of series! Well done to all involved and thank you sincerely.

Comment by John – November 14, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1) Why do all the questions on this forum not answer anything I need to know?
    2) Why Cameron not Cuddy in the hallucination House has at the end?
    3)Why can’t House just save Wilson again? Wither he is legally a doctor or not?

Comment by Billy Thorton – November 19, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 4) Why are we still asking questions about a show that aired 6 months ago?

Comment by Matt – November 19, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House along with most of the other cast all brought unique attitudes and morals to the show. House himself is witty, rude , antagonistic etc but nevertheless dead on to reading the people around him and of course diagnostically . I enjoyed his refreshing honesty and unwillingness to succumb to society’s constant need to please others. If i were sick i would hope my doctor would stop at nothing to find a cure…bedside manner might be nice but it doesn’t necessarily get the job done.
    Btw…House’s character has never wavered. We all know what to expect when we tune in…most of us love him for it…those of you who are critics and don’t appreciate the show, Im quite certain you know how to turn the channel.
    Mary

Comment by Mary Hoffman – February 12, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea, pretty weird(ever notice this word doesn’t comply with the ‘i before e except after c and only in neighbor or neigh?!) that there are some of us still coming to this site—here’s my excuse. The writer in me has been obsessed with death as far back as childhood and supposed innocent games of cowboys and indians. I do have a life other than this obsession, but it is always lurking in the background in case I get a little too oblivious and contented:) So, I think it was simple genius that put together this contemplative finale, and then called it, ‘Everybody Dies.’ And, it was an extraordinary offering from a no-longer extraordinary medium. And…sometimes I just enjoy intelligent conversation.

Comment by julie – February 12, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The finale is ambiguous but I think House died for real. First we must remember that DYING CHANGES EVERYTHING. So House said “I can change” and so he died right after that. The two signals introduced in the episode that House could be still alive are ambiguous too. The text message could had be prepared hours before the death and the Foreman’s table be fixed either. The final meet with Wilson don’t show any eye contact not either fisical contact between then.

I conclude that House died and the message of the show is that we must accept that because EVERYBODY DIES and keep our (boring) lives.

David from Brazil

Comment by David – May 5, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched the finale for the second time. I had been perusing the re-runs to catch it. Oddly, this watching, I tend to think that house died—everyone else’s continuing life is shown in a more two-dimensional way, than House and Wilson’s. They are the only two who end up together with no one else, and that because House could not have logistically placed ‘reminders’, Wilson is the only other one unaccounted for, and we know he is going to die soon. Thus, those two ‘go off alone.’ Funny…the first watching I truly felt they were alive(I think it might have something to do with that wonderful sign-off, “Enjoy Yourself!” Altogether, a yummy watching, again, because you just can’t get around it…everybody dies.

Comment by julie guthrie – September 14, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You moron…. house is a lovely character…Some questions are there…where did cuddy go n where is house after Wilson die…. want 9th season of house… missing it

Comment by pranav sharma – March 4, 2014 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post