House Boss David Shore Answers Burning Finale Qs, Addresses Cuddy, Foreman, Kutner Mysteries

House Series FinaleAs of Monday’s finale, House is officially dead and buried — the show, not the title grump — and, in its wake, we’re left with eight years of memories and a dozen burning questions.

Now, the guy we have to thank for those memories, series creator David Shore, has volunteered to also solve — or at least address — the episode’s biggest mysteries.

So read on, then scroll down further for a photo gallery featuring highlights from last night’s swan song.

TVLINE | Was there ever a point where you thought about really killing him?
Yes. Everything was on the table. But it was considered for that long, partly because I want the series to live on. The idea of people thinking that House is dead is a weird thing to leave people with. It ultimately felt better to have him out there with Wilson doing who knows what. I thought that was a really nice thing to leave people with and to let them put their imprint on that in their own mind.

TVLINE | How did he manage to survive the floor collapsing in on him and the subsequent explosion?
It was supposed to be ambiguous as to whether the floor collapsed on him or in front of him; certainly it was nasty stuff. There are a few seconds between the collapse and the explosion. He narrowly got out the back.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview — Your Guide to All the New Shows

TVLINE | Was the homage to Sherlock Holmes famously faking his death intentional?
From the moment we had the idea, I was aware that that’s what Arthur Conan Doyle did and that did tickle me. We didn’t say, “That’s what Sherlock Holmes did — we should do that.”

TVLINE | Of all the cameos in the episode, which was the trickiest to coordinate/accommodate?
There were scheduling issues with everyone. It was very tricky. Because all of the actors had gone on and done really good stuff. My hat goes off to my old production crew for just physically putting that schedule together.

TVLINE | Is it fair to say that Stacy filled the Cuddy void in this episode?
I don’t want to make it seem like it was one or the other, but had [Lisa Edelstein been available] she might’ve done something [similar]. But we knew before we even had written it who we had available.

MAY SWEEPS SCORECARD | Find Out Who Died, Got Hitched, Reunited, Split Up and More!

TVLINE | I really liked how you made a point of showing that Cameron ends up happy and fulfilled in her personal life. Did you ever consider reuniting her with Chase in the end?
No, because there would’ve been too much backstory to fill in.

TVLINE | How did the fire in the abandoned building start?
It’s actually alluded to. There was more about it in the original cut of the episode. There is a reference to the fact that the guy fell asleep while smoking. That’s how he got the burns on his chest. He presumably passed out while on heroin and dropped the cigarette and the fire started.

TVLINE | What was the deal with the gum Kutner put on the POTW’s shoe?
[Laughs] You shouldn’t read too much into that. That just seemed amusing to have a hallucination chewing gum and interacting with the real world.

TVLINE | Why did you choose “Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think)” for the final scene? Ever consider using “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” just to maintain the symmetry with the pilot?
We did consider that briefly. The Warren Zevon song that we used before it, I had wanted to use that; it just felt really nice. And then Hugh [Laurie] came to me one day while we were shooting [the episode] and said, “I have the perfect song for the final scene.” So I decided to stick two songs in there. We’re all about cutting against what people think we’re going to do. So going with this weird, uplifting song [about] dying had a really nice feeling to it.

FIRST PHOTO | Jesse Spencer in NBC’s New Drama Series Chicago Fire

TVLINE | In the final moments, Foreman finds House’s nametag under his wobbly table. Does he know House is alive?
The notion is that Foreman had pieced it together and figured it out.

TVLINE | Lastly, what do you picture House doing once Wilson is dead?
I don’t know. That’s way down the road. And that’s not what it was about. The story is the story. And the story ends when the story ends.

TVLINE | Can you see revisiting this character in the future in some way?
I love this character. And I know Hugh loves this character. I keep it open, but the chances of that happening from a practical point of view are slim. I would hate to lock in my head, “I will never revisit this character again.” That would be a depressing idea to me.

1. paquitochoc says:

If it was always a plan, why did house know that his patient was going to die of overdose? He switched the dental records because he already knew that his patient was going to die??????HOW?

2. Atonement says:

About the whole cuddy/Stacy debate.

House doesn’t believe in god, fate, or anything like that. I think the idea that he would believe in or that the writers would follow a concept like soul mates is unlikely.

I think Cuddy and Stacy were both very important, and had significant impacts on house’s life. And I don’t necessarily think either one outranked the other. Personally, I’m impressed that they pulled in so many actors that haven’t been on the show in years.

That all being said, I think he and Dominica really had a lot of potential, because she was the only one who liked him exactly as he was, and never made any attempts to change him. It’s a shame their relationship didn’t progress more…

3. TAMMI says:

Why did Kutner kill himself????????????

4. Awesome dude says:

Man I’m just glad you survived FOX and were able to do a finale without getting the ax

5. I am sooooooo glad (yes, GLAD!!) that Cuddy didn’t pop her frikkin head into this episode and change the focus from the finale of a GREAT series to her and her emotional flip-flopping that ruined most of two damned seasons and turned this from a MEDICAL drama into a daytime drama. I was not (in case you didnt notice) a fan of all those episodes where the focus was on their on-again off-again NONSENSE. MEDICAL, and once the writers turned their minds to Huddy, there were a few episodes with NO POTW, which is how “theyre all lupus or sarcoidosis” got started – it was true because the writers were focused on the crap that didn’t matter and not on the MEDICAL DRAMA.

• Cuddy's lawyer says:

Cuddy wasn’t in the finale but still more people speaking about her than the Stacy’s( or Cameron ) return! So glad you idiot…

• . says:

Comment by Cuddy’s lawyer – May 22, 2012 10:44 PM PDT

Sure, because her five fans write their comments with a thousand different names LMAO

• Karo says:

Dissappointed Fans are allways more vocal than the happy ones. Happy fans partying on tumblr or on their respective Fanforums the others hang out on the TVline commentsection and whine ;)

The Cuddy fans are some unhappy campers, i would be unhappy too if i were one of them. LE last little very sad moment of glory until she is vanishing in the sea of unimportance & unemployment.

6. Carole Jones says:

Thanks for ending it the way you did.

7. Carole Jones says:

House and The Good Wife two best shows on network t.v.

8. chris says:

Blah blah blah. So much b*tching and moaning! I loved the show, period. If I don’t like a show, I turn the station and watch something else!

9. Love House! says:

I so loved the series! The finale! The characters! I’m so depressed its all ending! Now what will I watch! Damn! Stuck with BS reality shows! Hurry up and come up with the next best thing! in the mean time… Lots of House reruns! Lol

10. Robert Paulson says:

Folks, enough with the snarky pseudo eye poking. I can see how one could love or hate the finale of House, and the last few seasons as a whole. I thought the last ten or so minutes, from the falling beam of fire on, was the best conclusion the show could have. The rest was just eh for me. I loved House and tv has lost a strong series. Be respectful. Go forth and love the next show. Or tell me I suck. Whatever floats your boat.

11. amber says:

I need to watch the last two episodes still! Why did I read this article!? so many spoilers….lol

12. Chuck Garza Jr. says:

Thanks House MD for 8 great seasons! I hope House and Wilson enjoy the riding off into the sunset! LOL! Thanks everyone at the show!!! :-D

13. Barbara says:

I am happy with the ending but worried about what will happen to House after Wilson dies. Loved the music! Did it EVER turn out to be Sarcoidosis??? They must have suspected it in at least 150 episodes!

14. Logan 1.618 says:

I felt they took House in the wrong direction over the course of the last two seasons. It revolved more around plot development and character relation than medicine, which in turn took away from the core of House. The last two seasons, by comparison to the first few, were tangibly more rushed and alluded to an impending series finale. As for the finale itself, the introspection was a great idea. It was, in a sense, an ultimatum for House to change; something that had been brought up throughout the series in instances like his confrontation with Stacy and the climax of his relationship with Cuddy. It was a clever way to bring to full circle that motif of the series. It was clear that House was going to live when Stacy appeared. If you consider the two central women in House’s life, Cuddy and Stacy, they play a sort of Devil and Angel role with House, Stacy being the Angel and Cuddy being the Devil. House has a tendency to collapse under interaction from Cuddy, whereas Stacy brings out the part of him that was, before his infarction and addiction. Logically, his escape doesn’t make any sense. There were only seconds between his appearance at the front door and the explosion. It’s impossible that someone with severely atrophied quadriceps, after presumed suffering an injury from the fall, not to mention the vast amount of carbon monoxide inhalation that probably would’ve killed him to begin with, would be able to make it all the way to the other side of the building, assuming the path is clear of flame and debris, and then flee to a safe enough distance to avoid any injury, as was shown during his reappearance to Wilson on the steps. The cliffhanger of House’s ultimate fate was intrinsically very, “Non-House,” seeing as how it creates a non-truth for any theoretical solution to the question, “What happens to House?” And as we all know, House has always been about the truth.

• Anastasia says:

I’m thoroughly liking your comment and observations. It’s okay though, I’ll 4give them for that oversight. I was thinking the same thing. LOL I don’t think someone with good legs could’ve made it out on time. But it was good overall.

15. Tim O'Hara says:

Ask David if there is any chance that the song subconsciously appealed to him because it used to be the advertising jingle for Labatt’s 50 Ale…

16. matthew says:

i wonder if there will be a spinoff with chase running the dept….

17. Kendra says:

Thank God I didn’t watch past the first 10 minutes. If I had seen Sela Ward step in as the love-of-his-life replacement, I may have thrown up … On life. Seriously, Shore??? I LOVE how interchangeable women are to you, as a misogynist asshole.

18. Judy Jones says:

I am sure that this summer at the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota, somewhere in the background of the Full Throttle Saloon, Wilson and House will be doing shots out of some biker chick’s belly button! Live life while it lasts, guys…..

19. airhead says:

i want to know what happens to house after wilson dies!! this is going to bug me for years.
    and another thing, i understand that lisa edelstein couldn’t appear, but you would have thought that cuddy would at least appear at the funeral. she may hate house because he crashed into her house, but he was ‘dead’ and he had been such a big part of her life for a long time

20. Bernadette says:

Wait… I SWEAR Cuddy spoke at the funeral. Was I hallucinating?

21. Anastasia says:

I liked the Series finale. I was glad to see that House finally decided to grow a pair and grow up after 8 years of super intelligence devoid of anything but immature, frat-boy , reckless behavior? It’s a shame it was not a slow progression of this.

What I didn’t like was that it seemed to drag on a bit and it seemed like I would’ve been okay with just the last 15 minutes being the finale (excluding the great old cast visits of course and the superman escaping from fire abilities for a cripple…WTF?!!).

Maybe that’s my problem with House in the last few seasons. It seems like the writers/PTB would get 2gther and plan out episode 1+the last 2-3 episodes of each season and the rest were repetitive fillers full of nonsense/whatever material. Don’t get me wrong; some of the banter, jokes & cases were good but it looked like their style of focusing on beginnings & endings w/out worrying about the middles and rushing in the end to try and create big “shocking” surprises/cliffhangers at the end got old real quick: at least for me it did. Such exceptional and great actors/characters which should’ve been explored and enjoyed further and the lack of the aforementioned potential is what I believe killed the show’s ratings…NOT Hameron, Huddy, Hilson, Hacey, Hirteen, Hominica, Horeman, Hase, Haub, Heffrey, Hrenda and, Hanastasia (yes, I included myself too b/c if I was there I would’ve hit that! :-).

22. kim says:

Life goes on in syndication you can watch your favorite episodes and seasons and not watch those you didn’t… not the worse series finale in history. i’m always amazed at how critical ppl are, lol.. i don’t need all my questions answered, it’s tv. i liked that they all went on with their lives etc. you learn from ppl and you keep it moving… Great Series overall…. thanks to the creator of House… I lived on after The best tv show ever “24” I will live on after another one of the best “house” i hope the next great show lasts past 1 season, that’s difficult to do nowadays..

23. Mark says:

I feel the ending of House as a real loss on an emotional level, even though the show seemed to lose its edge this last season. I truly loved House.

24. Dagaen says:

I got the feeling that Chase character was really explored in this season. And in the final he has his own practice. Possible room for spin-off?

25. tomnichols379 says:

Mr. Shore: The explanation just makes it worse. Sounds like you had 2 hours of material, cut it in half to make room for a mood-busting party special, and then just took a flyer and threw character consistency out the window. (House is a jackass, but letting his *mom* think he’s dead? But he made sure to tip off Foreman. Uh. Okay.) Clearly FOX was aiming for the weepy middle-aged female demographic that wanted a fantasy ending.

Me, I think the whole last 15 minutes were Wilson’s hallucinations while dying 5 months later, and House is really dead. Please don’t do any “Very special House Reunions. Please.

26. Nyann says:

In the end Wilson is the one House gave up everything for. He loves him more than Cuddy, Stacy, Dominika AND Cameron (even though I think he was just more fond of the last two than love.) Wilson represents House’s everything. And no they’re not gay; that’s just silly to think that. But I think they love each other in every way. It’s love based off emotion not sex. Sex is a by product of love in a meaningful relationship. House and Wilson are far beyond any label. They’re pretty much the epitome of what any friendship and or relationship should be!

27. Sally says:

Seriously,is there any chance of a “House: Wilson’s last months” movie starring Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard in it in the future?

• Anastasia says:

I don’t think it’ll work unless they get different writers or something. What’ll they do? Go gambling, get hookers and drink for a 2-hour movie? NO thanks.

• tomnichols379 says:

Oh, man, I hope not. The finale was miserable enough. What next? “House Meets the Golden Girls?”

• Jo says:

This movie will better: House’s life after Wilson!

28. Ian says:

One of my favourite shows of all time spanning 5 decades. Loved the Wilson / House dynamic . However as a few people have stated I too was very disappointed with the finale. Something was lacking , I was expecting this huge emotional release after 8 years of watching the show but I got nothing . The episode where Amber dies was so emotional and well done I expected something similar I guess , I will miss this show and the cast . I do hope we see some kind of reunion in 5 years or so !!

29. Lee says:

Watched it Monday alone then today with my wife. Better the 2nd time. Loved the way his core values were challenged and ultimately changed putting two people before himself. The heroin addict and Wilson.

It’s funny how dysfunctional and fictional characters can bring a strange calm to your living room once a week.

Season finales have always been tumultuous. Leaving lots of questions. The series finale ended perfectly with House and Wilson riding off into the sunset like an old western.

30. Watched the final twice, and I STILL don’t understand how the other guy died or how House is supposed to function without money or ID after Wilson dies. This ending did not work for me. There had to be a better way to get to House and Wilson riding off into the sunset than what they came up with. If the guy wasn’t going to die, why did he end up dying AFTER having their dental records switched? It just doesn’t add up, and House episodes ALWAYS added up in the end.

• RR says:

Not like Wilson was destitute, you know… doctors and money and stuff. I can buy the premise that House arranged everything after he found the addict had O.D.’d… he had all night.

31. Susan Skaggs says:

I thought that House would go on the run from the cops and take Wilson with him, and after 5 months just as Wilson was gonna die and the cops caught up with them, they would pull a Thelma and Louis and with a drink in their hand and a cigar in their mouth they would drive off a cliff together.

• AngellicaFallen says:

Ditto to your opinion. A Thelma and Louise ending seems appropriate for House ad Wilson. I actually was expecting that to be the series finale.

• Mark says:

Yes! I’m glad to hear you say this because this was one of my scenarios as well.

32. erin ward says:

I intensely loved each and every episode. And the reason, Hugh Laurie. I realize the writers and directors and the rest of the crew worked very hard to make it become what we watched on tv, but without Hugh Laurie, I would have lost interest very early on. They picked the right man for the job, and because of him, I have never cared more about a tv show in my life. I’ve seen every episode at least 4 times, and will be starting it from the beginning shortly. I’ve grown to love all the characters and understand their placement and know that nobody wants to see a show they enjoy end. I feel that the writers did House justice. The show had a magnificent run and I was always left wanting to know what was next. I feel like the retrospective hour before hand, was much needed therapy. Hugh, again, showing how extremely talented he is….I needed that happy “behind the scenes” session to prepare me for the very last episode of House. It’s never fun to see something you love end, and in my opinion, I was left happy. I just want to thank everyone involved, especially Mr. Laurie, for 8 fabulous seasons. I was a fan from day one, and my affection only grew stronger and stronger. Good luck to all….and Hugh, please don’t stop acting. I enjoy each and every thing you do!

• RR says:

Check out “Jeeves & Wooster” ;)

• Mark says:

Erin, I agree with every word! I found HL mesmerizing. While I grew to care about each character, the only one I felt intensely about was House. HL is an acting genious. To me, House became a “real” person, a kind of reference point to help my analyze and better understand some of my own life values and priorities. For me, the impact of this show will continue well beyond its official ending.

33. cat says:

House fans, help me out! Huge fan, love the show! Stuck with it all eight years. Mondays won’t be the same. Here are my questions-
    1) The song “Enjoy yourself (It’s later than you think)” is from Amber singing in the bar when House realizes he hasn’t lost the hallucination. That freaked him out and he knew he was losing it. So surprised they used it again. There’s no way it was an oversight of David Shore’s??? By the way, LOVED the song before!
    2) What is House going to do in five months when Wilson dies? David says that’s where the story ends. After eight years he should realize fans may look a bit beyond five months?
    3) House says, “I can change.” Really? He’s been telling us for eight years that people don’t change.
    No mean comments necessary, just need some help. I have no friends around me who watch the show……….

• RR says:

1. Shore has staff that keeps up with details… and it fit (again). 2. At some point, the storyteller has to say ‘and they lived…’ (make up your own future). 3. Sometimes people are put into situations that do change them… the moment he said “I can change” may have been that pivotal moment of every show where he deduces how to make everything work out… (I can change… the dental records! ;)

• Mark says:

Cat, I believe the answer to your 1st and 3rd questions is linked. Throughout the show, House has always insisted, among other of his “mantras,” that “nobody changes.” What I found inspiring and uplifting about his affirmation that he “can change” is the notion that he is finally truly attempting to affirm life and relationships over his cognitive obsession with solving the “puzzle.”

34. Grish says:

I liked the fact that House filled the patient spot of the opening credits.

I like how the floor fell in at the moment he decided to change.

I did not really find the fact that he was able to escape the building and fake his death believable. A twist would have been nice.

Maybe the camera panning out with House and Wilson on their motocycles and we find Wilson is halucinating.

35. RR says:

I think it was a warehouse… and in that warehouse they had a piece of very big machinery… and that machinery was on the back side where House was able to hobble (pretty fast, really) behind the building since there was a door straight back next to the big machinery… which blocked most of the force of the blast… sending it OUT the FRONT.

Anyway… six months later, Dr. Richard Kimble, uh, I mean Gregory House… is on the run, changing his identity, toiling at many jobs… avoiding the relentless pursuit of the police lieutenant obsessed with his capture. (Actor David Morse, from earlier in the series… kinda like Lt. Gerard (actor Barry Morse ;))

36. Spencer S. says:

Terrible! I’ve seen every episode of house and I love this show but the series finale sucked. I was so disappointed. It could have been sooo much better. The whole thing about faking his own death was cheesy and not original. They should have just killed him or Wilson. If they got another season, it would have been better

• Karen says:

Killing House or Wilson would have been terrible. I would have been thoroughly ticked off. Cheesy or not I’m glad it ended the way it did. Just one question though; when Wilson was speaking at the funeral and House sent him the text and told him to “shut up you idiot” where was House? Listening to Wilson speak?

• Judy jones says:

How maany times have we seen him spying on his team via a webcam, he would have had it bugged. How easy to have it a cremation and not a casket….

37. Spencer S. says:

38. sadwer says:

I’d kill five people chosen at random for an after-the-credits scene where Cuddy’s sitting at her kitchen table going through mail, pulls out an invitation to House’s funeral, laughs, and says sarcastically, “yeah, like he’s really dead.”

• AngellicaFallen says:

As much as I am not a big fan of the romances in the show, I laughed at you comment. I think that would have been perfect. I had a friend once tell me that if you have lead a good and productive life then half the people that show up at your funeral will be there to say their goodbyes and the other half will be there just to make sure you are dead.

39. living in the present says:

Awesome finale!!! Many thanks to everyone that made this series a reality. This show has been a beneficial and therapeutic way to endure a long term medical condition. Best wishes to you all!

40. #1housefan says:

I loved the finale but was sad to see it end

41. doitnow says:

and now a movie with a Hugh Laurie/Clint Eastwood reunion please!

42. ESOUH says:

this show was dead when they decide to go for HUDDY bs!

43. Joe Young says:

The perfect type of ending for House. They couldn’t really kill him off, there is a whole world out there for him to pi** off.

44. SEAN says:

After looking at Kutner in the Finale we can be sure of one thing: there must be lots of food in Heaven & we will age a lot too once we’re dead :P

45. Mister X says:

House has clearly jumped the shark many years ago, but this final was embarrassing, House surrenders to medicine is completely out of character, the authors have forgotten their amazing scientific-medical series to make the fangirls happy. Cameron and her last ”I love you, House!”, House and Wilson go off into the sunset and the past relationship between House and Cuddy are just rubbish. H-Cameron, H-Wilson and H-Cuddy storyline (and their hysterical fans) have killed the show. What a shame!

• Christa says:

Without these relationship after two years the show was over !Just medical case in 177 episodes so boring!

46. vasile2 says:

what about the vicodin? if he is “Dead”, how would he procure vicodin?

47. stacy says:

Wilson will die in 5 months and then House will be alone and miserabe again (exactly what he deserves lol)

48. Roxi says:

“Lisa Edelstein been available”

Sela Ward co star in CSI:NY(CBS) and Jennifer Morrison co star in Once upon a time(ABC) included the serie finale of FOX,but the unemployed Lisa Edelstein not ! Im the only one who don’t understand this?

49. stephanie says:

i dint like the way it ended i wish Wilson wasn’t the 1 wit cancer it would have been so much better if it was house cuz he always tryed to make his team think he was sick or dying wen he wasnt tht way if he realy got cancer and was realy dying they wouldnt beleve him

50. PJ says:

Wonder why House didn’t have his cane when Wilson came up to him sitting on the steps outside his apartment after the funeral?