Fringe Scoop: Seth Gabel Not Returning as a Regular For Fifth and Final Season

Seth Gabel FringeWhen Fringe kicks off its fifth and final season this fall, it will be down one castmember.

Sources confirm to TVLine that Seth Gabel will not be back as a series regular.

In a recent interview with TVLine, Fringe‘s leading lady, Anna Torv, noted that the odds of Gabel returning were slim.

“I don’t think [we’ll see Lincoln again],” she lamented. “Unless we go to the other side, no” — a prospect made less likely by the season-ending closing of the bridge between the two worlds.

A Fringe insider, however, isn’t ruling out a guest appearance or two by Gabel during the final 13 episodes.

1. Ryan says:

Awwwww. I’m gonna miss him. :(

• ScrubsGuy says:

Ditto, and very disappointed. Seth Gabel was great! This sounds like we’re not going to be visiting the other side in order to to focus on the upcoming war – a shame, since I found the alt-universe premise much more interesting than the Observer war.

• ben says:

Well, not going to be visiting it on a regular basis, anyway. I’d think there might be more beats to the story left to be set Over There.

• Kaa says:

Yeah, but don’t you think the alt-universe is played out as a storyline? I wouldn’t ever want to forget about it permanently, but, the peace between the universes has been sealed and Lincoln went over there and got himself a nice life, plus Bolivia has got a good man now and should behave herself…

• ScrubsGuy says:

It’s nice that there’s a happy ending for them, but the alt-universe concept is so ingrained as part of the show and we’ve grown fond of those characters such that its absence would make Fringe seem incomplete.

• Yeah, even if the Observergeddon is destined for our universe, wouldn’t it be great to have the guys Over There help us preserve our universe since we helped at least partially heal their universe? I think that would be a very cool part of the story. Maybe it could even lead to them finding a way to reopen the bridge (this time, without Peter disappearing) so that Over There can continue to heal. That could be a nice way to leave the story – the universes work together to beat back the Observers, we re-establish the healing of Over There and Henrietta gets to have a hopeful future to grow up in.

• Pickelbarrael says:

You are aware that they haven’t even fleshed out the observer war right?

• ScrubsGuy says:

True – it is only based on one episode – but it feels like we’ve said goodbye to the premise and its characters prematurely as a matter of circumstance (i.e. not sure if the series would be renewed). No one can say for certain, but it feels like there were more stories about the alt-universe to tell.

• Cloudy Knight says:

I’ll be looking for the Other Side to come to the rescue late in the game, like the cavalry riding in at the last minute to save the day. A kind of “oh, I forgot about those guys” thing.

• Ty says:

I will too, he was fantastic eye candy, always great to look at.

• gilia says:

im gonna miss him to i think he is cute

2. solemmanuel says:

Not a surprise but disappointing

3. katy917 says:

I liked Alt Lincoln, but never really warmed to regular Lincoln. That said, Seth Gabel is great and will be missed as either Lincoln!

4. Sasha says:

Sad, but not unexpected. I’m still worried about the state of the alternate universe. I hope they continue to heal. :(

5. Alex says:

Not unexpected…but still sad. Really liked the actor and character.

6. Flee was cool. Lincoln was a lame ass.

7. Janet says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! *sniff*

8. Kaa says:

Not exactly real news. Loved Seth, but the bridge to Over There is closed. I am sure he will show up again before the series ends, though. Everyone loved the Other Side so much.

9. M says:

Well, duh. They pretty much wrote him out in the finale and I’m sure they had to make major budget cuts in order to get renewed again. But, hey, at least he lasted longer than Megan Markle.

10. F.R. says:

Bring back Leonard Nimoy and Henry Ian Cusick!

11. Yeah, their Olivia was way better than our one.

12. Sarah says:

I figured. I won’t miss him all that much, I’m just looking forward to the final chapter of our story with our universe, and the stories wrapping up…which if it’s going to be in the vein as the ep Letters of transit, I’m going to really enjoy season 5.

13. Kaa says:

Fringe’s showrunners are telling a story… if telling the story means we have to say goodbye to some characters, that’s the way it has to be!

14. NCSouthernBelle says:

Noooooo!!!!!!!! I love his character.

15. Bob says:

As sweet as Seth Gabel is as a person, the Lincoln Lee characters just never really grabbed me. I’m happy to have a final season focusing on the 3 characters that drew me to Fringe and made me love it – Olivia, Peter and Walter.

16. Sal says:

I really hope he makes at least a few guest appearances in Season 5. That wasn’t a forever goodbye to the Alt-Universe with Fauxlivia, right? I have to see her again!

17. Olivia says:

Nooooo, I love Lincoln!

• fansethgabel says:

after this news for me fringe ends with the fourth series, no seth gabel no fringe.

• fansethgabel says:

I love him too. lincoln is the only male character that I like. I’d rather go away josh, peter’s character is boring

18. Dean says:

Shame. I loved both Lincolns. I hope Seth Gabel and Kirk Acevedo can make guest appearances though.

19. Really Sad, but i hope they bring back Agent Charlie Francis

20. TV Gord says:

It’s too bad that he won’t be back on Fringe, but I’m now a fan of his, so I’ll be watching to see what he shows up in next.

21. Pickelbarrael says:

Be grateful it wasnt Anna torv not returning since that’s all people complained about ever since letters of transit.

22. Karen says:

BOOOOOO!! Seth Gabel will be dearly missed

23. Ashley says:

Makes me sad to read this :( I honestly never thought I’d pay too much attention to another actor on a show that already stars Joshua Jackson, but Seth Gable completely won me over (both versions of him). I really hope he makes a cameo before the series finale.

• lincolnleeforever says:

noooo tell me that is not true (I think bad thoughts are coming, I hope that the demise was not caused by seth josh, he always makes the victim and get what he wants

• Jessica says:

The writers/producers are the ones that call the shots on storylines and where they want the show to go. Can we leave the actors out of this, as it’s got nothing to do with them.

• Pickelbarrael says:

Oh wonderful, another stupid fan blaming J

24. Aeana says:

No suprise here (there is no time for such non-important character), but it actually anger me that writers wasted so much time on “Lincoln” character in 4. season, especially doing him no favor by putting him in Peter’s place with whole theme and as Olivia’s potential love interest, very lazy and no original writing. So much wasted emotional oportunitiy for main trio plus Astrid with this brave concept of erasing one crucial character…, and with no payoff. And no, I don’t like Lincoln and Bolivia together. So, writers, please don’t go there, for love of Observers…
    Nevertheless, I LOVE Fringe and looking forward to final season. :)

• Ken says:

I could not have put it better myself,this “Lincoln” character in season 4 was a waste,he did not fit in,all these people who rave about his acting,what acting?he was a stiff.As for the writers trying to make him a potential love interest for Olivia was a horrible mistake,i believe they saw this and backed off right away.He has no romantic chemistry with any of the Olivia’s,and i too do not want him with Bolivia.The writers wasted all that time trying to push this “Lincoln”character,instead of concentrating on the core team(Peter,Olivia,Walter)along with Astrid which made “Fringe” what it is.Introducing this “Lincoln”character cost them ratings,justifiable so. When they decided to close the bridge(which should have been done sooner)i was especially pleased that i would not have to see this “Lincoln” anymore.So i for one is glad he is gone,so i hope the writers do not revisit anything to do with him.With him gone look how smoothly the team works together. I am so looking forward to the final season.

25. Amanda says:

Expected but I still hate it. I also wish they had written the last bit of his story a little differently, to me it seems like they wrongly killed off Alt-Lincoln just so they could give our Lincoln a happy ending.

26. I loved it. Lincoln is boring.

27. Chris says:

I’m getting angrier and angrier the more I think about this. LOL!

I’d take no more peacoat if it meant having ONE Lincoln Lee back!

28. Mcat says:

I absolutely adored Alt-Lincoln (and was gutted when they killed him), but didn’t really care for our Lincoln. I’m really going to miss Seth as Alt-Lincoln, wish they could have brought him back. :(

29. Kelly says:

I’m bummed but since AltLincoln is already dead I’m not as bummed as I could be. Still I really hope they find a way to bring him back at least once.

30. mia says:

That’s not unexpected. I enjoyed his character, but with 13 episodes they need to really focus their storytelling and he’s not a central character. I wish the actor well though!
    And more NIN!!! I need more Nina Sharp in my life

31. chylerleighononceuponatime says:

While I prefer over here and not got into over there or the other olivia. I will miss Linc. Both Lincs were great.

32. Sheldon W. says:

If we see Linc again, it should be to see him in a good relationship with Fauxlivia Mk 2. That would be kinda cool.

33. Mike says:

The fact that this intel went public makes me think (and hope) we get to see Agent Lee again. Never thought I would see Dr. Bell again… Just a thought!

34. tabularasalocke says:

I’m betting he’ll return for at least one episode, as I doubt the writers would exclude the other side for the final season.

Can’t say I’m upset though, I never liked the character

35. John DeMayo says:

How about Kirk Avecedo? I hope he pops up in at least one episode next season.

36. Jessica says:

Not surprised at all. They have to make room for Etta. He’s not a regular now, but I can see him coming back for a couple of eps. They have only 13 eps left and they have to use those to finish the story off, and that I’m assuming means we get to concentrate more on the core characters we have always had like Walter,Olivia, Nina, Peter, Astrid and Broyles. Plus we have the observers as well. However, that doesn’t mean that they won’t use the altuniverse in eps. They just don’t have alot of room in season 5.

37. Amy says:

I know he will be back. There is no way we won’t see the Other Side before the end of the series.

38. AngelMoon Girl says:

It’s sad… but makes sense. I’m okay with only seeing Lincoln Lee once or twice in the final season, assuming the bridge gets reopened (and I hope so!). All I care about is that we get a ton of screentime with Olivia, Peter, Walter, and Astrid (hopefully Etta as well ;D). Lincoln never -quite- made it into their little family unit. And honestly I only ever cared about alt-Lincoln and alt-Olivia…

39. Jules says:

Sucks…but makes sense. Bye Lincoln! Have fun with Altivia and make cute little alt-babies.

40. Won’t really miss him. Never a big fan of Lincoln. What is sad is this news really reminds one that the end of Fringe is near.

41. Mel Bonk says:

I think they have to go back to the alt- universe because the characters in the future were encased in amber and unless our side starts using amber I would think they must go to the other side after the observers take over to purposely encase themselves and hopefully Lincoln will be the one helping them! I LOVED alt linc and likes linc on our side. I am very sad to hear he won’t be a regular but I def think we will see him again.

• Ken says:

What are you talking about,have you forgotten that Walter created Amber over here in episode “6B”so there is no reason to try and go to the alt-universe.That chapter is closed,so move on.

42. Mel Bonk says:

Also I think “Letters in Transit” was one of the best fringe episodes ever and was hoping we would see more. So I’m very happy that we will!!!

43. Sam says:

I never warmed up to the Lincoln character, so this doesn’t make me sad at all. What makes me sad is the overblown importance they gave him in season 4. One of the worst characters ever. I don’t want to see him ever again, but they’ll probably go the predictable route and throw in a sappy scene or two of Lincoln and Altlivia as a couple. I would like to say the writers are better than that, but I know they are not.

• Kaa says:

“I would like to say the writers are better than that, but I know they are not.” If they’re such crappy writers, why do you watch the show?

• Ken says:

Sam,you are echoing my thoughts verbatim,this Lincoln character doesn’t make me sad,it makes me mad,because of the “overblown importance”that they wasted time giving him in season 4, which contributed to bad ratings,which may have just cost us a full 5th season..He was the worst character ever,and i for one do not want to hear,much less see any scenes with him and Altlivia as a couple.I am so glad he is gone.

44. I will be happy as long as Anna Torv is in every episode!

45. tvdiva says:

As much as I loved Seth Gabel in both universes, season 5 only has 13 episodes to wrap up the series. I think they are going to switch between the present day and the year 2036 (based on what we saw in Season 4 Episode 19.)

46. Bill H says:

GOOD!!!!!

47. Pik says:

Wonderful news! Good riddance.

48. f82 says:

dreadful news :(

49. Liz says:

Now Alt-Linc is dead. I dun know if I care anymore.

50. Mikael says:

Couldn’t they reopen the bridge now that they stopped Bell and Jones? I’m hoping that the reason there was no mention of the alt-universe in Letters of Transit is because the Observers still think it’s been cut off, but Peter secretly reopens the bridge and they come over to help with the war!