American Idol Season 11 Performance Finale: A Play-by-Play of Jessica Vs. Phillip!

jessica sanchez phillip phillipsWe’ve survived 38 episodes, more than 150 live performances from the Top 25, and heaping portions of wilted word salad from Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, and Steven Tyler. And now, we’ve reached the final two episodes of American Idol‘s eleventh season.

Yep, it’s all come down to the dolphins-vs.-egg beaters matchup that finds pint-sized diva Jessica Sanchez and Her Deadly Heels competing against swampy guitarist Phillip Phillips and His Roguish Flash of Chest Hair, and I’ll be live-blogging the whole blessed hour! So keep hitting that refresh button throughout the telecast to get my up-to-the-minute thoughts on how the duo is faring as they each tackle a song picked by Simon Fuller, a Season 11 encore, and their (hopefully radio-friendly?) debut singles!

RELATED | American Idol: 25 Best Performances of All Time

8:00 Amazing pre-audition footage of Jessica and Phillip FTW! The “poetic” ink spillage (waiting for the strains of “Unwritten”)? Not so much FTW.

8:02 What in the what is J.Lo wearing? It’s like an Olympic skating costume is giving birth to Tour de France pants. (All in “tasteful” black, of course.)

8:03 Phillip, forever true to himself/his thudding lack of style derring-do, in a white v-neck t-shirt and rumpled unbuttoned Oxford. Sigh.

8:05: Shocker! The 137th rendition of “I Have Nothing” in 11 seasons of Idol. Plus Swaybots. I am literally about to punch a puppy.

8:06 Not really making this her own, but that’d be like a McDonald’s worker trying to put a special twist on the Big Mac. Kinda impossible. Jessica certainly hit every note with power and finesse — and that gown is Rated D…for Divine!

8:11 I hope this doesn’t turn out to be the Jessica Sanchez Sabotage Hour.

8:12 Phillip is covering “Stand By Me.” Well, at least the lyrics to “Stand By Me.”

8:13 I appreciate risks generally, but not sure about this one specifically. Why take such a pretty refrain and scoop out its center like an overripe melon?

8:14 “Now let’s gossip.” –Ryan Seacrest, asking for judges’ input

8:15 J.Lo uses up 60 seconds of airtime dodging the idea of critique: “How do you compare?” Jessica has amazing vocal prowess, power, control, grit, and beauty. Phillip has soulfulness, originality, and artistry. How much does she get paid to read these lines?

8:16 Randy, mercifully, calls Round 1 for Jessica.

8:19 Back from commercial, J.Lo seconds Randy’s opinion that Jessica won Round 1. Steven Tyler remains eerily silent, in wicked anticipation of Jason Derulo’s “Undefeated.”

8:21 Wait a second. Coca Cola sponsored this whole Jason Derulo songwriting competition, and all they’re springing for is a metal folding chair as his main set piece?

8:23 Where’s Joshua Ledet to sweep this stage with this foolio?

8:24 Maybe if he’d made this a duet with his girlfriend Jordin Sparks, I’d have liked this better? Or maybe if…uh…I have nothing on this one, sorry.

8:26 I’m gonna need Round 2 to be a LOT better. Maybe with Simon Fuller’s picks out of the picture, there’s hope?

8:27 FLIP YEAH! Jessica is doing an encore of her VEGAS SOLO, “The Prayer.”

8:28 Minute One: SUBLIME!

8:29 SING HEFFA! I think that glory note might’ve won her the competition.

8:30 Jessica finessed that like Eric Ripert treats a rainbow trout: With subtlety, artistry, and perfection.

8:34 Phillip’s encore — another wise choice — Billy Joel’s “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song).” Just him and his acoustic guitar and not a lot of distraction for the opening verse.

8:35 Sexy saxophonist and the band join in! (He’d better let her share the confetti shower if he wins on Wednesday.) Phillip sounds really great on this, I can’t lie. And there’s a looseness and impish energy this time that wasn’t quite there the first time around. Nice.

8:37 For a quick, nauseating second, I thought it was that kindergarden-age girl holding up half of the “We’ve Got Tonight, Why Don’t We Stay?” poster. Thankfully it was just an illusion.

8:38 Randy calls Round 2 a dead heat. Steven says something about hatching eggs and says Jessica has the edge. J.Lo gives it to Phillip, and then Ryan — in a moment of pure poetry — cuts her off after the word “authentic.” (You know she was hoping to giggle and reduce Phillip to a hot chassis with a guitar, but no dice, Gigli star!)

8:41 Live-blogging always makes the backs of my knees sweat. #BloggerOvershare

8:42 Jessica gets assigned another ballad — a song called “Change Nothing.”

8:43 Hrmmm. I might’ve changed the key. The verse seems pitched just a little low for her, no?

8:44 Er, and the chorus is a little…sharp? But on the plus side, this sounds like an actual real song, not a hideous piece of treacle written specificially for an Idol coronation.

8:45 Randy thought the song was “just okay.” J.Lo wouldn’t have picked a straight pop ballad for Jessica’s lead single, either. “Everything has to be you, Jessica!” Jimmy Iovine looks mildly embarrassed. Steven didn’t feel it was the proper song, either. Ummm…couldn’t Uncle Nigel have let her end her set with “The Prayer”?

8:46 Even Jessica agrees in the real world, she’d prefer to record something a little more “urban.”

8:48 Look, I don’t disagree that “Change Nothing” probably isn’t the best first impression Jessica could make at radio — hey, Iovine, it’s not too late to find her something with a little more edge before June comes around — but it also seems a bit disingenous for the judges to hammer her for a composition that I can pretty much guarantee she had no say in covering. Know what I mean?

8:50 I swear, Ryan emphasizes the “Lee” in Leesburg, Georgia, everytime he introduces Phillip’s hometown.

8:51 Speaking of hometowns, Phillip’s original single is called “Home,” and it’s got a driving beat and a melancholy melody that’s a little reminiscent of…hrmmm…help me out here, Idoloonies.

8:52 Enter marching-band drummers. And cue standing ovation from the judges.

8:53 Selected Randy-isms: “Everything about that was perfect!” “True artist’s performance!” “Brilliant! Genius!”

8:54 J.Lo already offering congratulations, and given the choice of material, she may be right. That song was a perfect fit for Phillip, and the staging was spectacular, without ever feeling inauthentic. Not even the perfect little pout on the final “home.”

8:57 Scotty McCreery’s “PLease Remember Me,” live, and serbing as a backdrop to Season 11 highlight reel. Plus Swaybots.

8:59 Why is the highlight reel being minimized? Need more semifinalist footage up close for my aging eyes! I swear it’s like a postage stamp on the envelope of my TV screen!

FINAL THOUGHTS
Winner of the Night: Phillip
Should Win the Season (not counting Joshua): Jessica
Will Win the Season (in an upset): Jessica (call me crazy, but I think her fan base is gonna help carry her over that incongruous final ditty.)

What did you think of the Season 11 performance finale? Hit the comments with your thoughts, and come back Thursday to TVLine.com to read my full episode recap!

Comments (809)

• Let’s hope it’s a good showdown tonight. Jessica has had the most impressive run of the season, but Phillip has had 2 of his best performances the last 2 weeks. Should be interesting.

Comment by idolbethejudge.blogspot.com – May 22, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Phillip but Jessica has an awesome voice and only 16 they are both winners

Comment by judy – May 22, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What, she’s 16?!?!?! She looks way older, like 26…

Comment by MariaPompeo – May 22, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • it’s not the age that counts..it’s the voice!

Comment by Tanini – May 22, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • and you might look like older than 40 all of us will get old probably you’ll go first

Comment by Danalee Braganza – May 22, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • what???? Is this supposed to mean something?

Comment by Marsaili – May 22, 2012 08:47 PM PDT
          • It’s amazing how much hormones affect the ears with this show, Phillips hit about two notes in Home, sang eight lines, whistles a few notes, had a marching band walk in and take up more time and is getting rave reviews. He is a nice kid but that is the weakest singer ever to be in the finals, and I mean ever. Even Lee had a couple more off notes to his singing, have you guys forgotten this fast?

Home is a good single for Phillips but is is not a song for an Idol winner. Did anyone notice Scotty at the end of the show? Even he sang circles around Phillips and he has limited range. Anyway should be interesting to see the results tomorrow, I am not surprised that Jimmy couldn’t do a proper song for Jessica. Even at that the two earlier songs were well beyond what Phillips did.

PS The good news for Phillips is he never has to worry about hurting his vocal chords, I think he could sing for 24 hours straight and never stretch one of them, lol.

Comment by TinyTim – May 22, 2012 11:11 PM PDT
          • Hmmm. And I’d say Phillip’s Home was not only the highest quality song ever for a coronation song (normally they totally blow), it was the best performed.

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 01:33 AM PDT
      • yeah…yeah..yeah…our kababayan has a great voice.

Comment by Tanini – May 22, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • are you also from chula vista?

Comment by dee – May 23, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m on the West Coast so I’ll just read this live blog and forgo the show. Not a big fan of either finalist but I think Jessica should win.

Comment by Leila – May 22, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica should win, but whoever decided that last song, or whoever didn’t tell Jessica that the song was a bad call needs to be fired immediately.

Comment by idolbethejudge.blogspot.com – May 22, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree 100%

Comment by Jeremy – May 22, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I love how the idiot judges blamed Jessica’s song choice on her. Look, she probably chose it from three crappy compositions, and she did the absolute best she could on it. In fact, I was rather impressed with what she did – she really sold it.

Philip’s song was NOT “distinctly him.” Sam Amidon, Paul Simon, Vampire Weekend, Decemberists..they all have songs that sound like that, but are way better. I must admit that the production of it was pretty great, but honestly, J.Lo, you need to expand your musical knowledge.

Comment by Tiff – May 22, 2012 07:37 PM PDT
          • What the third song told me was that Jimmy Iovine has no clue how to produce Phillip Phillips or Jessica Sanchez. I liked the contestant’s performances, but that’s due to their talent! What it tells me is that Jimmy chose a Mumford and Sons / Paul Simon style for Phillip which is NOT the Phillip I liked all season. He took out the gritty flavor and grind from his performance, the playfulness he literally turned him into a WGWG complete with chorus harmonies….ugh…. Then he took Jessica (kudos to her for turning the bus back at Iovine after his second fail in a row after last week) and gave her a ballad that was neither soulful or bluesy or even powerhouse. What he should have given her was something like the Vegas trio arrangement or her ‘Love You I Do’ song in the top 12. So worried for who ever wins because Idol maybe the last time we actually hear how they might have sounded like before Iovine choked their identities. BOTH of these kids deserved better! :(

Comment by HudsonRiverside – May 22, 2012 09:19 PM PDT
          • I didn’t watch last year’s finale so when did they get to do different songs. I hate the freakin’ judges. they are pimping Phillip so much it’s making me puke. Oh yeah they gave token props to Jessica but in the end they pushed Phillip. I won’t watch next year no matter what.

Comment by Jaxguy – May 22, 2012 09:22 PM PDT
          • Yay!

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:44 PM PDT
        • I’m actually a bit worried for Jessica now. She’s surrounded by people who think that “I Have Nothing” and “Change Nothing” are the sort of music she should be doing. Please tell me neither of them are picking songs for her album…

Comment by kcostell – May 22, 2012 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It was all over the internet last night that Tommy Mottola who launched Mariah Carey will be taking on Jessica…don’t care if PP won at this point. Jessica is all set now!

Comment by Jeanne – May 23, 2012 06:07 AM PDT
          • Tommy Mottola is an old perv with a penchant for young girls. He also drove Mariah Carey into such a deep depression that it nearly ended her career—I wouldn’t let that man anywhere near my little girl, even if is he good at what he does. I wouldn’t wish that man on Jessica at all!

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:31 AM PDT
          • Marsaili – although there’s not one thing funny about your post it made me crack up. Tommy Mottola could be a great thing for Jessica but her mother needs to be right there, all the time. Does Jessica have siblings or is she an only child?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 23, 2012 07:00 AM PDT
          • She has little brothers–I think that is it! I meant it tongue-in-cheek but really, it isn’t funny at all. She is an adorable girl–I would hate to see anything happen to her with ANYONE, but especially him!

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 10:56 AM PDT
        • I crazily agree…sabotage anyone??

Comment by sabotage – May 22, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was a BORING finale! These kids are not dynamic entertainers – to say the least! Maybe we need new judges…no…we need new judges.

Comment by Jeanne Biery – May 22, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I miss Joshua.

Comment by Tiff – May 22, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • are you a great singer am afraid not you have nothing to show so shut up i like joshua but i might just audition and shout

Comment by Danalee Braganza – May 22, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i hate idiotic posts like this. it sounds like it was written by a five year old. let me educate you a bit. 1. you don’t need to be great at something to be able to thoughtfully critique it. 2. you don’t know this person, so yes, they very well could be a great singer. this is an anonymous board, you have no idea who you’re truly talking to. 3. bc i know you’re going to say something about being jealous or not being famous meaning that you must not be a good singer: FYI, there are plenty of talented people in the world who do not make money doing what they are talented at. How much money one makes is not the arbiter of one’s abilities. One can be super smart or talented or a really good person and broke as a joke. Conversly, one can be an idiot with no talents, morals, or empathy and rich as crap. See: Jersey Shore or the Kardashians. This is not a fair world. Not by a stretch.

Comment by just saying – May 23, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Err, we need new judges because Joshua isn’t there? I’m not sure that was the judges decision…

Comment by ben – May 22, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t read beyond this point but did anyone else notice that Phillip yawned after his 3rd song when Ryan was going through his numbers? My appreciation for him notched upwards when he did that. Here he is in the finale, having just sung his final song, and even he can’t contain how boring the whole thing is.

Comment by john – May 23, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Soooo boring. Jessica had songs that didn’t show off her voice and Phillip – did NOT sing well yesterday. Proves to me that Joshua WAS the missing link. What a shame.

Comment by 5talentgirl – May 23, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haley Reinhart’s Album comes out TODAY!…. I just remembered it after the Idol Finale. Downloading from Amazon now!!!….

Comment by baimun – May 22, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yay! I previewed online and it’s AWESOME.

Comment by Joline – May 22, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i bought it today.

Comment by Jaxguy – May 22, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I remembered right after work! It’s awesome!!!! She co-wrote all of the songs!

Comment by Cheryl – May 22, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It is awesome. I can’t stop playing the first track. Even Phillip haters can’t harsh that buzz.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Really impressed with what I’ve heard so far! Totally digging it! Just please let it get some major radio station play. Adele and Winehouse did so this should too.

Comment by FreeHaley – May 22, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • A relief, I had confidence, but you never know. I actually thought McPhee had an awesome voice and was a fan of hers on Idol but right from the first two tracks on her release I was like uh-oh.

Comment by FreeHaley – May 22, 2012 11:10 PM PDT
          • Yeah, they misled McPhee as badly as the misled Hicks and DeWyze. As we’ve seen on SMASH, McPhee is phenomenal.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 11:29 PM PDT
          • @FreeHaley: Check out Katherine’s second CD, Unbroken. So much better!!!

Comment by professor1453 – May 23, 2012 03:49 AM PDT
          • Previewing right now. It’s REALLY good. What a voice. Great songs, catchy, fun and original. FreeHaley, I’m also relieved – Haley clearly had a big hand in writing and deciding on the material.

Hey, judges, look here – this is a REAL artist!

Comment by Tiff – May 23, 2012 09:22 AM PDT
      • I guess AI and it’s alums are having a pretty great time right now on itunes…albums tracking now:
        #4 Carrie Underwood
        #6 Kris Allen
        #7 Adam Lambert
        #8 Haley Reinhart
        #9 AI Final 3

Comment by TheBeach – May 22, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You must’ve checked early. It’s Kris Allen #4, Haley Reinhart #6, Carrie Underwood #7, Adam Lambert #19.

Comment by x – May 22, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Damn this 5 year old laptop. It’s always a day late and a dollar short :)

Comment by TheBeach – May 22, 2012 11:23 PM PDT
        • Yeah it’s Kris #4, Haley (Deluxe) #6, Carrie #7, AI Top 3 #15, Adam (Deluxe) #19, Haley (Regular) #34, not sure if Adam has Deluxe only or if everyone went Deluxe with him and the regular is not charting at all or something.

Comment by FreeHaley – May 22, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • What makes for a “deluxe” album on itunes? Does it contain more songs?

Comment by TheBeach – May 22, 2012 11:21 PM PDT
          • I dunno but the price is higher ;)

Hah actually I’m not sure, hopefully more than just that otherwise we’ve all been had haha (dam@ you Haley, why you little….).

I think maybe an extra song or two or maybe the PDF liner booklet?? Actually I think Haley explained it on her interview with Didi Benami and The Hollywood Reporter’s main Idol reporter, but I guess I was too distracted by Haley and Didi to have the details of the explanation register hah (plus I knew I was getting deluxe anyway, where Haley is involved, so why bother storing away what you know is irrelevant hah).

I think their is only one version of the CD though, for whatever reason. But at least the bulk of it will be on the CD for full quality to make Benchmark DAC1 headphone amp + Sennheiser HD650s really sing.

Comment by FreeHaley – May 23, 2012 12:00 AM PDT
        • Adam Lambert is due to come in #1 on Billboard today it was mentioned yesterday :)

Comment by Jeanne – May 23, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Doesn’t seem like it, he’s not #1 in iTunes, then again Billboard is a different beast and the power of the label putting on radio play and so on can help a ton regarding that.
            Latest iTunes charts though:

#3 Idol Current Season Finale Songs

then three idols in a row:
            #7 Carrie
            #8 Kris (deluxe)
            #9 Haley (deluxe)

then:
            #19 Adam (deluxe)

then the only charting regular version (the regular versions from the others must be below 200 I guess):
            #32 Haley (regular)

(Only Kris got mentioned in the featured new releases from iTunes email letter, no love for Haley or Adam, so they got no helping boost from that :( so yeah winning your season does get you the most promotion. Carrie probably didn’t get the mention since maybe she is different label now or maybe it already came out a week ago???)

Comment by FreeHaley – May 23, 2012 01:55 PM PDT
    • The recap makes it so clear that Jessica is a star and PP, while doing his best, has talent comparable to the level you can easily find at your local university or country fair. It will be laughable when he goes down as beating both Jessica and Joshua and ends up less commercially successful than Lee Dewyze.

Hope we get a new slate of judges next season. They are as bad as PP’s singing.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – May 22, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your comment makes it clear that you’ve been bashing Philllip for weeks now, so don’t pretend you are objective about the finale. You don’t like him. We get it. But he is a great perfomer. Your opinion is not the end all be all, I don’t care what your mother tells you.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – May 22, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The recap only makes it clear that Slezak is not a P2 fan and would rather see Jessica win.

Frankly, the whole sucked…but based solely on who had the less crappy corronation song, I think P2 should win. By the way, Slezak, it sounded very much like a Mumford & Sons song. Might be why I preferred it – it sounded more current.

Comment by Tess – May 22, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought it sounded like a mix of Mumford&sons and Coldplay. Reminded me of a song From x&y called “til kingdom come.” I liked it a lot — sounded so much more current and credible than any “winning” song since a moment like this. Hope Phillip wins.

Comment by Peter – May 22, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That was *exactly* what I though when listening to Home – Mumford & Coldplay. Now I’m dying to see who actually wrote it. As tonight showed, it’s all about the material.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:05 PM PDT
          • all i see in P2 last performance was a marching band… and judges gave him SO. WTF

Comment by luigi gutierrez (@hachiko0214) – May 23, 2012 01:10 AM PDT
          • That’s too bad for you, Luigi.

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 01:35 AM PDT
          • The song was surprisingly good, like Johnny Cash/Coldplay combo.

Comment by katrilotta – May 23, 2012 04:04 AM PDT
      • I have a feeling that both Jessica and Joshua will both end up being less commercially successful than Lee Dewyze..Whoever wins this year has a lot to live up to with the success of Scotty McCreery

Comment by Jay – May 22, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I might actually agree because if Iovine is doing the producing he won’t have an idea that he has a powerhouse R&B urban singer in Jessica. I also think turning Phillip into Mumford and Sons is horrible, not only are they VERY current but that is their established sound. Phillip already established a more salty uptempo vibe and his slower song covers were much closer to his default style. Why give them songs that are different from what they do when it is supposed to be their hit song?

Comment by HudsonRiverside – May 22, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Let Lee DeWyze actually get an post-Idol album out in his own type of music before you make any judgments.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Impossible!

Comment by 5talentgirl – May 23, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Virtually every recap by every reporter has come back saying that Jessica won the first round but Phillip won the last two, especially the last one by a mile, and that he easily won the night; and there’s a pretty clear consensus that Philip will end up winning AI. All of the negative comments won’t change the facts or the reporting…

Comment by givemeglenn – May 22, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Judging by his huge fan base and the fact that he was never in the bottom 3 all season, I would say regardless of how good his voice is, he’s going to be more successful than Lee Dewyze.

Comment by Laur – May 22, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What’s up with the DeWyze bashing? The guy was a modern bluegrass singer that got suckered into a making a pop album. He’s made 3 albums, he makes a living at music, and I’m sure he’ll be back to form on his next album. Jeesh… the guy was already on his way before Idol. If you’re not pop or country, you’re never going to see the same numbers.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You know, you have to wonder how things would have turned out for Lee had he not gone on Idol. Better or worse? Hard to say. I loved Lee’s “Simple Man” that he sang for the finale during Season 9 and so did my husband, who was a huge Skynard fan and switched to country when Skynard died in the plane crash and disco became popular. I also really liked Lee’s “A Little Less Conversation”.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 23, 2012 06:58 AM PDT
          • DeWyze had quite a few nice songs that he did for Idol, but unlike Phillip, it seemed like he wasn’t as good at resisting the ‘machine’. To be honest, it hasn’t even been two years since his Idol tour ended! What do people expect?

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 09:27 AM PDT
      • My understanding is that JLo will not be back next year, so you get at least 1/3 of your wish.

Comment by C – May 23, 2012 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s okay he will be dropped like the others from the label. It was all over the internet last night..Tommy Mottola who launched Mariah Carey will be taking on Jessica she was signed last night! All is good :)

Comment by Jeanne – May 23, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, gee, Jeanne knows everything so I guess we don’t even have to bother to watch tonight because Jeanne knows what will happen—cause the internet sez so! Dearie, didn’t anyone ever tell you not to believe everything you read on the internet? Sheesh. Tommy Mottola also drove Mariah Carey into a severe depression and it nearly destroyed her—I wouldn’t let my little girl anywhere near that wolf—I don’t care how good he is!

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i have picked the winner every season befoe but not this time i dont think jessica should win she was voted off once. or was she???

Comment by Marcia Teer (@Marcietee) – May 22, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica is hands down a much better singer , BUT , the girl is 16 and it would be a disaster for her not to complete her education , go to University , study acting and performance , because in my opinion she has all the making to be an amazing Broadway Star.
      As for Philip , I am not crazy about him, BUT , the guy does have talent , just do not see him ready to be an opening act yet , the kid really has a lot to learn 1st.

Comment by Joseph Angelo – May 22, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Come on! One swallow doesn’t make a summer. But one angelic voice can take you to heaven.

Comment by dee – May 23, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PHILLIP FOR THE WIN!

Comment by Callum – May 22, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • umm right. This show needs a winner who can’t sing a melody to save his life…

Comment by jen – May 22, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm right.. this show needs a winner who is a copycat and doesn’t know how to do anything herself…

Comment by Callum – May 22, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen to that! Phillip deserves to win!!

Comment by PAIGE – May 22, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • welllll, considering all Philip has managed to do this season is copy Dave Matthews…

Comment by jen – May 22, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I heard Dave Matthews called Phillip. He wanted his shtick back.

Comment by Jim Shields (@hobodeluxe) – May 22, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LMAO Exactly!!

Comment by Dark Defender – May 22, 2012 09:07 PM PDT
          • Actually, Dave HAS spoken to Phillip recently…

Comment by givemeglenn – May 22, 2012 11:00 PM PDT
        • That’s right! If I hear another Whitney Houston song I’m gonna vomit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dana – May 22, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • then vomit :-)

Comment by ella – May 23, 2012 02:02 AM PDT
        • correction: HIMself. the Dave Matthews carbon copy is a guys, not a girl.

Comment by JSF – May 22, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This really pisses me off He’s never claimed to be like Dave Matthews, everyone else made that comparison for him..and he only sang 1 Dave Matthews song after everyone repeatedly shoved the idea down his throat that he reminds them of Dave Matthews…if you’ve paid attention at all this season you notice that Jessica sounds like whoever the artist of the song she is singing, never changes the style or melody..*copy cat*..

Comment by IdolFan11 – May 22, 2012 07:23 PM PDT
          • Since Phillip sounds almost nothing like DM, I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:33 PM PDT
          • His last song sounded like Dave Matthews to me. Oh well.

Comment by Jaxguy – May 22, 2012 09:26 PM PDT
          • We know, jax. You’re extended run of hundreds of Phillip hate posts continues unabated. Oh, and I’ve still got 27 minutes… I’ll vote a few times just for you.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:34 PM PDT
          • Jessica changed several songs. Just look up her Billy Joel, Buddy Holly, for starters. She sounds exactly like Jessica to me, her tone is distinct; she just hits the high notes and runs that others fear to try. Phillip sounds like Phillip. He got saddled with the Dave Matthews because he said he was his idol. Basically, I win either way on this finale even though I am worried for the winner’s future if handed over to Jimmy.

Comment by HudsonRiverside – May 22, 2012 09:35 PM PDT
        • Except sing beautifully…a lot of singers would sell their mothers to have voice like hers – the source material others can provide. That’s how isn’t very often done, isn’t it???

Comment by 5talentgirl – May 23, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • don’t use words you don’t understand

Comment by MariaPompeo – May 22, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • umm right, this show needs a winner who wasn’t already voted off by america…

Comment by M&M – May 22, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Watch the clip where Phillip Phillips mocks the people who have problems with the legitimate by the rulebook save. :D

Comment by Suggestor – May 22, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s already won for me! Can’t wait for his first concert tour and album so tonight is just the jam on the roll!

Comment by shelbybb – May 22, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael… it sounded like Mumford & Sons. I really liked it and I think he is SO CUTE… but he always reminds me of someone else!

Comment by the real wendy – May 22, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! Phillip’s vocal didn’t sound anything like Marcus, but the song sounded like their body of work. Marcus sounds closer to Lee DeWyze, but with that lovely Celtic lilt and better pitch.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He can have the win :) Jessica was signed last night by Tommy Mottola who launched Mariah Carey guess he didn’t want to wait! It was all over the internet last night his wife tweeted it.

Comment by Jeanne – May 23, 2012 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL, ok Jeanne! Jessica CAN’T be signed yet—because she is under contract to IDOL and if she wins she will be under contract to JIMMY IOVINE, NOT Tommy Mottola! But, gee, if you heard it on the internet, it must be true, right?

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not signed. Motolla has confirmed though that he will be involved in Sanchez’s first album. Jessica’s part-Mexican and Motolla’s wife is Mexican, so…

Comment by mackybaca – May 23, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PHILLIP=CASEY
    JESSICA=THIA

Comment by Callum – May 22, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JESSICA = JORDIN
      PHILLIP = BLAKE

Comment by Lee – May 22, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • PHILLIP=TAYLOR HICKS
        JESSICA=KATHRYN McPHEE

Comment by idared – May 22, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was thinking that exactly! Although I’m not sure if you meant it as a compliment for both of them as I do…
        I was also thinking that Joshua = Melinda, as they were both the best singers of their season and deserved to win.

Comment by Princess Adora – May 22, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Phillip = winner
        jessica = runner-up

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • let’s just see…

Comment by Tanini – May 22, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Indeed! :D

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:34 PM PDT
        • LOL Jessica WON already she was signed by Tommy Mottola who launched Mariah Carey. So it’s a done deal she doesn’t need the stupid AI crown. It’s over!

Comment by Jeanne – May 23, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ok, how many times are you going to post this lie?

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:36 AM PDT
          • Marsaili: Actually, it’s not a lie. Thalia, the Mexican singer aka Motolla’s wife herself tweeted that her husband will be involved in jessica’s first album. Really, among Akon, Iovine and Motolla, Jessica has her pick.

Comment by mackybaca – May 23, 2012 07:49 AM PDT
          • And how does that mean that she WON American Idol? It’s not like Iovine hasn;t already made abundantly clear he’d like to sign the Top 3 (and then some) – he said before the results of Top 13 week that he was going to sign Phillip the minute he was available right on the show.

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 09:22 AM PDT
      • agree

Comment by Jaxguy – May 22, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • P2=Bo Bice
      Jessica=Carrie

Comment by Ringo – May 22, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please do NOT compare Philip to Casey. Casey was AWESOME. He could sing. He sang the melody, and he did interesting things with his voice. Every performance was different.

Philip is good at one style, and one style only: Dave Matthews.

Comment by Tiff – May 22, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do know that Casey is a big fan of Phillip and wants him to win, right? And I agree that Casey is probably the most musically talented Idol contestant ever (though not necessarily vocally, though he’s pretty great).

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Casey is also Phillip’s biggest fan so put that in your pipe and—well, you know!

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s totally fine. Casey can like whoever he wants to like. I just think they have totally different styles, and I really don’t think you can compare them. In musicianship and vocal ability, Casey WAY outranks Philip.

Comment by Tiff – May 23, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • In musicianship, I think Casey outranks pretty muc everyone that’s ever been on Idol, but the rest is apples and oranges. I think Casey and Phillip are both awesome in their own rights.

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 09:30 AM PDT
  • Welp…she’s no Kurt Hummel. ;P

Comment by bamabunny – May 22, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keeping my fingers crossed for Jessica

Comment by googlecat – May 22, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Joshua!!!

Comment by googlecat – May 22, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yu’ betcha’! Neither of the contestants gave us good entertainment on the finale. Joshua most DEF would have.

Comment by 5talentgirl – May 23, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As much as I miss Joshua and wish he were part of the finale with Phillip—Phillip’s performance last night was golden—he totally deserves to win Idol!

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has “I Have Nothing” been sung on Idol every season?

Comment by Christina – May 22, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • twice this season in fact. Fortunately, Jessica’s version made me forget Shannon’s awful cover from a few weeks ago

Comment by Sha – May 22, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, it showed exactly how rare it is to find someone who can sing it at that level. Shannon was no slouch but Jessica is a beast!

Comment by Suggestor – May 22, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saddling Jessica with Whitney, sigh, heard this before.

Comment by jrtr – May 22, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • even simon fuller is throwing jessica under the bus!!!

Comment by Cavaknights (@Cavaknights) – May 22, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea right, the producers have been setting Jessica up FTW all season long, might as well have called it “Sanchez Idol”…deff should have been a Josh/Phillip Finale…

Comment by Emily – May 22, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops another Hollie fan who’ll probably never see Hollie again after the tour. Bitter much!

Comment by Sowsyalite (@Sowsyalite) – May 22, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is America tone deaf???? Phillip stinks!!

Comment by g. simpson – May 22, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Apparently they are, they put Jessica through to the final 2 after she butchered her top 3 songs..ESPECIALLY “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing”..so off key my ears were bleeding..

Comment by Musicizlife – May 22, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • STAND BY ME was as awful and flat as THE LETTER and so dated, the chorus of MOVIN’ OUT was atrocious and HOME was folksinger 101 (and that corny marching band out of place)…gave them a respective D, C and B…Jessica sang rings around him though she had bad song choices…she will probably lose…..FYI there is an amazing collection of 70 or so short interviews of previous Idol contestants on where they are now in their careers and lives…lots of backstage dish and a real eye-opener…look up THE DAILY BEAST/SEXY BEAST ENTERTAINMENT AND FASHION/AMERICAN IDOL: WHERE THEY ARE NOW

Comment by seattlejohn449 – May 22, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s not going to do I Have Nothing and repeat I Will Always Love You… Right?

Comment by stacy – May 22, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somehow Jessica’s performance seemed kind of flat….and I’ve never been a”Jessica’s a robot” believer.

Comment by McFudge – May 22, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s just a bit nervous but she looks beautiful! Good job all season Jessica!

Comment by shelbybb – May 22, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel is either stupid or has an agenda. They tell contestants to avoid Ms Huston and then pick one for Jessica. {pulling my hair} Then again, his choice for Phillip isn’t any better.:|

Comment by Deb – May 22, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, but that’s what she DOES. Whitney is her wheelhouse.

Comment by deedee – May 22, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica can do Whitney when in fact all she wants is to be as edgy and urban as Jazmine Sullivan or India Arie. But the only way she can win this thing is if she screams her lungs out week to week. Still think she should have sung Everybody has a dream for her second song. She should have been given a Jessie J song for the Producer’s pick. Oh well. AI needs to clear more songs.

Comment by Sowsyalite (@Sowsyalite) – May 22, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to think that Joshua was voted off to keep Phillip..unbelieveable!!

Comment by g. simpson – May 22, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Joshua was voted off to save Jessica!!

Comment by Tina lynn – May 22, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to all three polls I saw, Phillip had as many voteds as Jessica and Joshua combined.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • where is that? can you share the website? i can’t see even one?

Comment by ella – May 23, 2012 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck is he doing to Stand By Me?!?! Where is the melody Phillip!!

Comment by Doniel – May 22, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Melody shmelody! He Phillip Phillips’d it dawg! Which means its worthy of a voracious tip-licking from the judges, as we have seen all season.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – May 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, that song is so smooth and melodic and he completely stripped it of that :/

Comment by Sha – May 22, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The rearrangement was pretty genius. Since I’ve heard the Ben E King version about a billion times in auditions, it was really interesting and refreshing.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No the ORIGINAL song was genius. This is okay but the genius of that song was the melody since the words are minimal. It would be better if he took it to a different genre and made it work ala DC’s version of ‘Billie Jean’. Or if he just sang the melody and made us love it better than the billion others who tried.

Comment by Suggestor – May 22, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t think singing it as written would cut it with anybody – we have the unbeaten classic – and certainly no one at Idol would have allowed that for the finale. And, to me, Phillip did take it to a different genre, and in an interesting way.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:09 PM PDT
  • i know that’s his thing and all, but it really won’t hurt to have a little bit of the melody.

Comment by Taylor – May 22, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Phillip trying to be off-key at the beginning of that, our was that on purpose? That was awful.

Comment by McFudge – May 22, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lovee you michael , but hate that you hate on PP so much .. that song was captivating.

Comment by RAEsin – May 22, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael, why do you hate Phillip so much? He deserves to win.

Comment by Mary B – May 22, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Jessica doesn’t win it will be a real shame. Phillip is great and all but there are many people like him already. The only singer we really have is Beyonce.

Comment by Steph – May 22, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessia like singers are a dime a dozen, we need performers like Phillip to keep music evolving, nobody likes stagnet water. L

Comment by Elle Dee – May 22, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A dime a dozen? How many singers, even on the charts, have her vocal range? Certainly not Rihanna, Katy Perry, Madonna, Lady Gaga…

Comment by Leila – May 22, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I dunno, the Voice UK and AU auditions were stuffed with them. Lea Michelle just murdered every song she touched. And all of them were doing chartable material.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my dea, dear Steph there is a Jessica every where u look! She’s like a little Disney princess! Originality is what we need, like Phillip, he is compared to Dave Mathews yet, he named to made the one Dave song he did, amazingly his own. L

Comment by Elle Dee – May 22, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh my. There is a P2 in every bar, club, & local band auditorium.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 22, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’d rather be at a bar than a beauty pageant

Comment by larkwoodgirl – May 22, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed! That’s a great way to sum it all up. I’d also much rather be at a bar listening to a laid-back acoustic set than at a frilly beauty pageant listening to a wannabe diva.

Comment by Ash – May 22, 2012 08:49 PM PDT
          • I would just preferred Joshua winning….

Comment by NedPepper – May 22, 2012 09:53 PM PDT
        • Hardly, though I’ll tell you, there are a dozen girls on the Voice UK and AU right now that sing circles around Jessica.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If they sing circles around Jessica imagine how talented their version of Phillip Phillips are complete with Celtic roots and Brit/Oz accents!

Comment by Suggestor – May 22, 2012 09:57 PM PDT
          • Apples and oranges with the US finalists, of course. But there are certainly people on those shows more talented than Phillip, though not in his genre. The talent level there is really very surprising – both the UK and AU Voice have better judges, better attitudes, and better contestants overall. Plus, the people outside the US can duet and sing in groups well. I’m a fan of Phillip, but he’s just the best on this season of Idol at this moment in time – and his sound is there and *now*. There is a LOT of amazing talent out there.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
    • there have been 3 winners VERY similar to Phillip. How many were similar to Jessica? exactly, it’s time for a change.

Comment by Sha – May 22, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I understand the reluctance to crown yet another WGWG winner but it is not clear to me that Jessica has anything really original to offer us. Like him or hate him P2 knows who he is musically and genuinely LOVES the music and the musicians who play with him. His SbyM was his interpretation — he knows who he is as an artist (I know, I know — overused words by our judges but true!). Sink or swim, he will dictate the terms of his album. She will follow the lead of her producers. That is the basic difference between them. Will she be more successful? Possibly – but only if her producers and writers are top quality.

Comment by reddirtblues – May 22, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure who you are referring to, but I haven’t seen much similarity between the last set of winners. Scotty = classic country; Lee – bluegrass-pop-rock; Kris = pop/R&B; David – pop; Jordan – R&B; Taylor – blues; Carrie – country-pop; Fantasia – R&B/soul; ruben – R&B; and Kelly – pop. Other than R&B falling out of favor, how are three of these similar?

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon, followed “my advice” and chose I Have Nothing for Jessica. I like Stand By Me as song choice for Phillip but not that arrangment. Round one to Jessica.

Comment by Jessica wins – May 22, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon Fuller’s picks = Simon Fuller doesn’t want to spend any more money on clearance fees.

Comment by Lauren – May 22, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol*chuckle* snort*

Comment by ThemApples – May 22, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way did round 1 go to Jessica. She did Whitney, but Whitney did it better. Round 1 goes to Phillip and his almost menacing version for SBM.

Comment by deedee – May 22, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How can you even compare Jessica or anybody for that matter to Whitney …that’s just stupid! IMO she sounded better than Phillip.

Comment by Connie – May 22, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m comparing her to Whitney because she is trying so hard to sing it exactly like her. What value did she add to the song?

Comment by deedee – May 22, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You honestly think PP added value to his performance. Sorry that was not a very good version
          Of the song.

Comment by Mary – May 22, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • At least it was trying to be original. And Hey, I’m not a Phillip fan, so I am totally impartial. Jessica takes round 2 for me, if that makes you feel better.

Comment by deedee – May 22, 2012 05:40 PM PDT
          • *waves* I did!

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:10 PM PDT
          • It was HIS version of the song — like it or leave it. Hers was NOT ORIGINAL ( well, except for the nice growl – which I did like).

Comment by reddirtblues – May 22, 2012 08:20 PM PDT
          • Deedee I read a previous blog of yours saying that after Joshua’s elimination, you were now a Phillip fan since Jessica was one of your least favorites. So kind of hard to swallow your claim of impartiality, total at that.

Comment by Cris – May 23, 2012 08:26 AM PDT
          • Cris, seriously. I didn’t ‘become a Phillip fan’ after Joshua was eliminated! I have always been consistent in my favourites this season, which were: Josh, Elise and Skylar. Phillip has always been ho-hum ‘just-ok’ for me, and Jessica has always been one of my least favourites. So, I have no horse in this race and am able to be impartial when judging each performance on its own merits. This is why I was able to give round 2 to Jessica with no hesitation. Why does it even matter what I think? lol.

Comment by deedee – May 23, 2012 09:18 AM PDT
          • Because, I value your opinion… how about that…lol

Comment by Cris – May 23, 2012 10:10 AM PDT
          • Somehow, I doubt it, Cris – but it sounds nice, anyway! ;)

Comment by deedee – May 23, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
        • I’m less worried by what is added to a song than how good it is. If Jessica sand the song as well as Whitney (thats a big if, I don’t think she did) then I’d say she won the round, even if it was objectively true that she brought nothing of her own to it.

Comment by ben – May 22, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THE EVER SO “KNOWS ALL” deedee STRIKES AGAIN.. A CLEAR JESSICA “hater”.. COME ON! ADMIT IT! UR JUST BITTER COZ JOSHUA DID NOT MAKE IT TO THE FINALE…. YOU’RE SUCH A SORE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR…..

Comment by me – May 22, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And the nasty ole’ troll “me” is back to follow Deedee all over the boards and stalk her like a Tommy Motolla around young girls who can sing. Get a life, “me”.

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:43 AM PDT
          • Oh, it’s the knuckle-dragging mouth-breather again! *waves* Why don’t you come back after you’ve finished evolving.

Comment by deedee – May 23, 2012 07:28 AM PDT
      • Eh, not to me. phillip took all three rounds, and truly slayed the last song for a big win overall.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • P2′s last song was totally mediocre. I can’t believe people are saying it’s so amazing, artistic, etc. The marching band cameo was laughable. The lyrics were pedestrian. He did not sang well. The only good thing about the song was the guitar strumming. Not enough to compare him to Paul Simon and Mumford & Sons.

Comment by Leila – May 22, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It was really great, Leila. I know you don’t ‘get’ that kind of music and I sincerely wish you did.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:13 PM PDT
        • Of course, you are a true follower of Phillip. Should I even wonder?

Comment by Cris – May 23, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, you shouldn’t – anybody who says phrases like ‘true follower’ isn’t bright enought (or honest enough) to wonder much about anything.

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 09:36 AM PDT
  • Adam Lambert said it best on his season’s finale night – “we’re both winners! We wanted to stand here for as long as we possible could and sing…and we did that!”
    Congratulations y’all

(and congratulations Adam on your new album!)

Comment by shelbybb – May 22, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • finally someone mentions Adam….Go Adam! To quote Kara–Yes! Yes! Yes!
      And to put in my two cents on the who will take the crown this yr. I think it will be Philip but, Jess can saaaannnnnnng!

Comment by cimi – May 23, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica does not have the passion and experience of Whitney Houston!

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica is sixteen. It’s unfair to compare her life experience to that of an adult.

Comment by Benita – May 22, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Addictive experience? yes she don’t have that experience.

Comment by ella – May 23, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody is Whitney. Instead of thinking how Whitney sang it look at how Jessica sang it. Phillip was boring.

Comment by Steph – May 22, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She sang it like Whitney, only not quite.

Comment by deedee – May 22, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word and Word!! They gave Whitney to Jessica because besides JHud, Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken’s, she’s the only other one on AI who could handle it. Perhaps they should have given Phillip one of Lee DeWyze’s gems? Oh sorry. There aren’t any. ‘Nuf said.

Comment by idared – May 22, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica did poorly. And yes, there are Lee DeWyze Gems. Annabelle sounds a great deal like Phillip’s final song, in fact.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • maybe they shoud’ve given Jessica STAND BY ME and PP the Whitney or Celine songs to see how PP and his marching band soldiered through

Comment by seattlejohn449 – May 22, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jessica would have sucked at Stand by Me, so I’m not sure that makes your case. Apples and oranges.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Jessica woud have slayed Stand By Me.

Comment by Suggestor – May 22, 2012 10:01 PM PDT
          • I obviously don’t agree. I doesn’t suit her voice at all, and it’d end up as stultifyingly boring as I’ll Be There.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:11 PM PDT
    • Jessica was boring….

Comment by Jennifer W – May 23, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something is missing in Jessica…

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Life. She needs to go home, go to a real school, date, go to prom. She needs something to relate her songs to.

Comment by Yo' – May 22, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EXACTLY..she’s way too young to be singing the songs she’s been singing and I’m afraid she’s gonna be a flop

Comment by Lili – May 22, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And that’s not to take away from her massive potential… but it’s really, really evident that she’s a homeschooled 16 year old. Give her a few years, and she’ll be amazing.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Being homeschooled has nothing to do with it—I homeschool my kids and they are not stuck in the house away from life or life experiences. Jessica was very sheltered, yes, but that is NOT a typical homeschool scenario (unless it’s a family of Christian fundamentalists homeschooling their kids to keep them away from society—which Jessica is CLEARLY not–and neither are MOST homeschooled kids)

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 06:49 AM PDT
          • Most people I know that homeschooled their children didn’t do it to “protect” their children from the world and the rest of society. They did it because (1) they were in a sub-standard school district and couldn’t afford to move or didn’t want to move due to proximity to grandparents, church, etc., or (2) they were tired of the liberal crap the schools were spoon-feeding their children. (Not that this is a political message board, nor do I intend to turn it into one – I’m only stating fact based on people I know). It also gives them more flexibility on vacations and day trips.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 23, 2012 07:07 AM PDT
          • I am a homeschooling mother—and you are correct about some of the reasons why many people homeschool—but I live in a good school district (now) and we choose to continue because the kids don’t have to be sheeple, they can learn at their own pace, they get to hang out with tons of other kids who are interested in the same things and there are rarely problems with bullying and nasty behavior because all the parents are involved. All my kids have homeschooled up until highschool and when they went back to school they were all honor roll students all 4 years and they had no problems fitting in and were very involved in many activities, as they were as homeschoolers. BUT, having said that, there is a HUGE fundamental Christian homeschooling movement that IS about keeping the kids away from general society and teaching them through religion, rather than they typical curriculum. Many of those kids are more sequestered than regular homeschoolers and the groups they have do not allow anyone that isn’t Christian into the groups.

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 11:06 AM PDT
          • @DET: If you don’t want to turn this into a political message board, THEN DON’T. Why is “liberal crap” in the schools even mentioned by you in a discussion about Idol? Did they just do a story about that on Fox News?

Comment by macy – May 23, 2012 08:50 AM PDT
          • There are plenty of studies that indicate that homeschooled students predominantly don’t have the same levels of social interaction and diverse experiences that non-homeschooled students do. Personally, I have no opinion on the subject, and certainly am aware that there are places and reasons why homeschooling would be vastly preferable to the alternatives. Jessica clearly was very sheltered, and her music will only improve as she gains the experience that will help her connect with more mature subjects and more adult situations.

Comment by tarc – May 23, 2012 09:42 AM PDT
          • Tarc, I don’t know where you heard those studies but they are crap—all the homeschooling groups I have had my kids in were very active, the kids all had interaction with kids of ALL ages all the time, they all do community service all the time, are active in their churches and youth groups/scouts. Those studies are bunk—I don’t know who they are interviewing for them—but they don’t speak for the general homeschool population!

Comment by Marsaili – May 23, 2012 11:09 AM PDT
  • If a contestant can’t make me stop playing Angry Birds on my phone when he’s singing, it was not good enough.

Comment by McFudge – May 22, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Jessica will be in the Ford music video by herself this week? How can Phillip be the American Idol with all the responsibilities if he can’t even appear in a video? GO JESSICA!!!

Comment by Liz – May 22, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, you’re going to attack someones health issues as a means to boost your personal choice? Some people just suck at life. Gotta love karma, cause it’s going to bite you hard for being so hateful.

Comment by My2Pennies – May 22, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not saying PP was great either!

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…is Derulo lip syncing the premier of a new song?!

Comment by Michael – May 22, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is the first “FIXED” idol I have ever seen!

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • J.Lo (with the top of power rated by Forbes) is biased towards Jessica – she did not have to sing for her save — J.Lo ran right up and saved her!

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missing Joshua for sure! Jessica seems like she expects the win.

Comment by laker – May 22, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the blog. It’s going to make the show much more interesting when I’m watching it in 2.5 hours. (PST).

Comment by idared – May 22, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when I placed my call for Joshua the phone numbers did not match the confirmation when I voted

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was the first time that happened when I voted

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Round one was definitely Jessica, but Simon Fuller picks suck. I can’t believe he could not come up with more current better songs.

Comment by Mary – May 22, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand this “attitude” people say they see in Jessica. She doesn’t expect anything. She’s always humble. I don’t get it.

Comment by Steph – May 22, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Prayer was probably her best and only memorable performance (for me) of the whole season.

Comment by deedee – May 22, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? It wasn’t good, and she went ugly a couple times. She did a much better Whitney in the first round (and really, no one could save that third round travesty of a song they gave her).

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • okay, that was a better performance for JS

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SING HEFFA!

Comment by Taylor – May 22, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was amazing. Definitely better than her first song.

Comment by Steph – May 22, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • even my parents think Jess is the boringest ever.

Comment by ashley – May 22, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet your parents are boring too! :)

Comment by YUAN – May 22, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMFG THAT WAS UNREAL

Comment by Doniel – May 22, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Prayer was MILES better than her first round. Lovely. Just lovely.

Comment by McFudge – May 22, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She has the goods….she needs more stage presence and experience — but then again she is just 16.

Comment by DebD – May 22, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whatever happened to that Taio Cruz song that Idol watchers helped write and then was performed on the Idol finale last year? Didn’t it bomb? Why did Coke decide to do this again? DeRulo isn’t going to have a hit with that

Comment by marcy – May 22, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t remember ever being less enthused about an AI finale. Jessica has a beautiful voice but she just leaves me cold. Phillip may be an “artist” but he can barely sing. This season had such promise and I’m incredibly disappointed that it has come down to these two.

Comment by Bobbi – May 22, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh I can… Scotty McDreary and Lauren Whateverhername was… with no Haley Reinhart. THAT was the worst finale ever.

Comment by baimun – May 22, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1

Comment by FreeHaley – May 22, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1

Comment by Terri – May 22, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1. I remember skipping the performance show entirely.

Comment by Tiff – May 22, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Funny it was the most boring finale yet both Lauren and Scotty have proven to be a few of the more successful idol alums opening for major headliner tours and Scotty’s album went platinum in less than 3 months…

Comment by JayKay – May 22, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah they also sing country. And the audience effectively (i t wasn’t lower than for top 3 just lower than the degree of huge boost top2 show usually gets over top 3 show) dropped like 25% for it, I think unprecedented, if you compare ratings for top 3 vs top 2 that season vs. what happened to the numbers other seasons.

Anyway it was boring since it left out the most dynamic singer of the season and the top 2 had, maybe at most one, if even, performance of the night between them (I mean Lauren had a pretty solid voice and if you like Scotty’s country country I guess it is ok but every single song he sang the entire year was the same, can anyone even point to one vs another) and it was 100% country = boring for anyone not into country.

Comment by FreeHaley – May 22, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spot on criticisms for those that must make them: ‘Jessica has a beautiful voice but she just leaves me cold’ – subjective to the listener. ‘Phillip may be an “artist” but he can barely sing.’ – A big ‘tru dat!’ from anyone who can hear!

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – May 22, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you do realize you are a hypocrite to your own words? Jessica’s criticisms are subjective but Phillips are true? That is just idiotic. But then, consider the source…..

Comment by Marsaili – May 22, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ouai, tru dat Phillip rocks! :D

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had no enthusiasm for Idol after last year…..P2 revived it for me!

Comment by D – May 23, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did the judges not stand for that prayer performance?

Comment by RO – May 22, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nigel doesn’t want her to win, that is how.

Comment by jen – May 22, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why would they have stood for that? It sounded like every other performance of the type.

Comment by Faz – May 22, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually I’m pretty sure Nigel and all the other producers/judges at the show are pushing for her to win

Comment by JayKay – May 22, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly, I’m really not that much of a Jessica fan, and I HATE that song. But she seriously killed it. Best performance of the night. The judges refuse to give her a standing O.

Comment by Tiff – May 22, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was amazing! And I’m a P2 for the win kinda gal! But I so completely loved Phillips last song, it trumped her amazing job on The Prayer (for me)

Comment by imho – May 22, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because it wasn’t that good; she fell off pitch twice and that song is very, very unforgiving.

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica sounded better on the Prayer live tonight than in Vegas. What a high note!

Comment by Suggestor – May 22, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, but she fell off pitch on two of her extended notes. I thought she’d absolutely murder it 9and hoped that she would – I was excited when she started), and she didn’t at all. It just wasn’t comparable to the various people we’ve seen do it live before (Celine, Bocelli, Charlotte Church, Josh Grobin).

Comment by tarc – May 22, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was a snooze for me. Just because something is sung well doesn’t mean it is engaging. I started talking to my friend next to me. I honestly have a hard time hearing the words she sings, too.

Comment by Jessica T. – May 23, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica was amazing on that song!

Comment by Connie – May 22, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously…….I may forget American Idol after this. Jessica also just blew, The Prayer. she needs a few more years. Please surprise us with a Joshua return performance. Idol is losing credibility. J’Lo does not help either since she has long made it know she wants Jessica Fixd???????? starting to feel like it.

Comment by laker – May 22, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • do you think so? why did she go for philip? jessica did amazing tonight. although i cannot but praise philip either. Great Job for both of them.

Comment by filmstr – May 22, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea that whole dramatic “save” ruined the shows credibility and made me question whether it’s fixed for Jessica to win? I believe it feels like it as well

Comment by Yankee – May 22, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Geez either way you have set yourself up where you can’t win — if jessica wins, you say it’s fixed, if she doesn’t win, it’s not fixed. Do you really think that idol would take the chance of having a scandal that would undermine the whole show???? Whatever, believe that it’s fixed then…

Comment by sam – May 22, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a P2 fan, and although I think she likes Jessica, she WANTS Phillip to win!

Comment by D – May 23, 2012 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post