Syfy's Sanctuary Cancelled: 'Bloody Hell' and More Reactions from the Cast

Get More: Cancellations, News

Syfy’s Sanctuary will not fly for a fifth season, it was announced on Monday — news that elicited a familiar refrain from series lead Amanda Tapping.

“‘Bloody hell’ indeed,” Dr. Magnus’ portrayer shared via Twitter, not long after the bad news broke. But prior to that, the actress gave kudos to the show’s passionate fans, saying, “We love and adore you. Thank you for the love and support. Now to the long dark tea time of my soul.”

RELATED | Syfy Sets Dates for Eureka Series Finale, Warehouse 13 and Alphas Premieres

In the months after Sanctuary‘s Season 4 finale aired in December 2011, little or no buzz surrounded its possible pick-up, leaving fans to fear-slash-prepare for the worst.

Other cast members weighed in on the news via Twitter, such as Robin Dunne (who played Will): “Thanks to our wonderful @SanctuarySeries fans for 4 years of love & support. You gave us a great life. See you on the next one. XO.”

RELATED | Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Not Going to Series

Ryan Robbins, who played Henry Foss, wrote: “Truly overwhelmed by all the wonderful #Sanctuary messages. You guys continue to be full of awesomeness. #bestfansever,” while Robert Lawrenson (Declan) tweeted, “A huge thank you to the phenomenal Sanctuary fans, cast, crew & producers for a wonderful run. Look back with pride and forward with spirit.”

Tags: ,

Comments (188)

• I have seen that Amanda is currently on Supernatural.

Comment by Teresa Walker Turner – December 5, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • syfy is killing sci-fi have you looked to what they have besides wrestling? warehouse 13, being human, alphas, haven, not to mention new shows coming along like continuum and defiance. I love sanctuary even the 4th season that many of you did not, but if it wasn’t succeeding nothing can be done about it. and those of you who think it shouldn’t be about business fund it yourself oh wait you don’t have the money because you don’t care for “big business” they’d go broke if they kept shows that weren’t making money on the air. Use your heads. Do you think Amanda Tapping would do the show for free because I doubt it so why should the owners want to take a loss?

Comment by wmiller – December 10, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very true, networks aren’t a charity. But I wouldn’t be so quick to say she wouldn’t do it for free; as long as she could pay her staff she just might have. She, Damian and Martin put loads of money into that series, it was their baby. I think the show was amazingly ahead of its time and if they had done a fifth, they would’ve done a lot more coverage of the past and it would have kicked ass. But I am so very grateful they ended it as they did in season four. My geeky heart would have been broken beyond repair if they didn’t make that final scene.

Comment by Gloria – February 1, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sanctuary and Stargate Atlantis in the first place , were realy mistakes to cancel.

Shame for all the fans. I was a big fan of stargate. but bought everything exept universe. it was so good. but with this kind of open end it realy dissapoints too much. i am at season 4 episode 5 now in sanctuary and i hope for a little wrap up at least then.

Luckily there is the ultimate syfy show with an ending that is not wrapped up but streched to almost a half season. I am talking about the gem of all gems. the finest piece of art tlevision has ever seen. Battlestar Galactica 2003.

So say we all.

Comment by donny smeets – December 28, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so miss Battlestar Gallactica. Also Universe, Farscape and Stargate. I now miss this. I so wish they would bring back back Universe or Gallactica. Universe was still going somewhere so good but Gallactica they were starting to get off course with. Either one can be saved and still be good. The writing, music and filing were all great. I am so sick of being introduced to good shows and them being taken of the air seeing crap either left on or put on its place. They shouldn’t focus on renaming themselves to SyFy from Sci-Fi and should focus on what their audiences keep saying over and over about what they really want to watch. I really want to check out some of the new shows coming out Defiance and Continuum but I also feel like why bother at this point, if they are worth anything SyFy will only cancel them by the time I really enjoy them and am fully involved in the characters and the series. I am sick and tired of being jerked around.

Comment by AliCat – December 30, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m losing faith in syfy ability to judge .whichs hows stay on the air and which to cancel.

Comment by Jaime Rocha – December 31, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cant someone start a” MORON NETWORK ” where all the reality crap those horrid Sat. nite movies Ghost Hunters (where every dam episode is the same “did you hear it ? did you see it? ) answer is NO I DID NOT and wrestling get dumped and give us a real science fiction channel once Merlin Being Human and Haven are done so am I with syfi
    cause you know the new show defiance will be on then it will be sorry to expensive to produce

Comment by working girl – January 10, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you the only thing they got going for themselves right now is the fat that Being Human is still on and Haven is scheduled to comeback. But they should have never gotten rid of Sanctuary. BRING BACK SANCTUARY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by BRAVE 33 – March 24, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by pappy moore – January 11, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Syfy is my number 1 go to channel but the cancelling of sanctuary has really pissed me off, and I agree wrestling has ABSOLUTELY NO place here they need to remember who there target audience is or risk losing there audience all together.

Comment by Heather Dunn – January 11, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When you have a good thing why end it.I mean WTH has wrestling got to do with SF&the other garbage they use as fillers .wake up r lose ur audience.ARE IDIOTS RUNNING THINGS? ;-) Reading and finding out NBC is the source of special idiots that are in charge that answer my question! ;-)

Comment by pappy moore – January 11, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loved sanctuary and i was one of the most amazing shows ever on tv.om heart broken that it is being axed and amanda tapping is an inspiratiobal actress, and not to mention in stargate she was the hot blonde.syfy needs to get their head out of the clouds and bring the great shows back to life.sanctuary could have went on for another few seasons and stargate too.its true what is said “what goes around comes around” so do us all a favour and hurry up and come back around with all the great shows.and do please cancel all the crap thats on tv now.thanx

Comment by jenny – January 11, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not fair!!! on tv there are so many crap … Sanctuary would have deserved 5-6-7 season etc.

Comment by Tiziana90 – February 11, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the Syfy has made ​​a huge mistake …. not have been able to take advantage of this wonderful TV series …. Sanctuary is DESERVES another season!! I can not accept it.

Comment by TizianaSabatini90 – February 13, 2013 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with yo
      u they have made a terrible mistake. BRING BACK SANCTUARY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment by BRAVE 33 – March 24, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am most displeased to see that Sanctuary has been dropped, the whole cast including and especially Amanda Tapping were very good, my son and I thoroughly enjoyed the show and once again SYFY has dropped another good series. Please return to your roots and show us the Science-Fiction TV we want, thats why we picked up the blasted channel. Bring the show and cast back. I loved the SG-1 series, wish it was back.

Comment by Dowd – February 19, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why not pick up Fox’s Tera Nova, it is science-fiction isn’t?

Comment by Dowd – February 19, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching complete season 3. I’ll admit 1 show here or there wasnt their greatest but sometimes it was a conduit to greater collective spisodes. Other times it was fitting when there was a begining & ending in 1 episode. The quips & quotes alluding to our current real world added laughes even in serious scenes. Amanda Tapping & all the cast are spectacular actors & this is not the end for any of them. NBC & other networks should be on their toes & snatch these people up quickly on new quality shows. I’ve seen Ms. Tapping on Supernatural..its a great but infrequent. I dont have cable & really want it for SYFY….but mabe not! Thanks for this chance to voice & read all the other great comments.

Comment by dawn – March 2, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand the thought of another reality show. There are too many on all TV, as it is. I have pretty much quit watching Syfy. The crap they call movies are unwatchable. What the hell!!

Comment by Roseanne Salyer – March 8, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hate that they have canceled this show. I thought that Amanda Tapping and the rest of crew did an amazing job on this show. I am sick of all of the stupid comedy shows and if they wanted to cancel something on sci fi cancel that stupid ghost hunter show that is a dumb picture . There is nothing good on SciFi anymore all of the good shows they continue to cancel.

Comment by BRAVE 33 – March 24, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why cancel a good show like this? And people wonder why I dont watch much on tv. Its because they keep canceling good shows like this one

Comment by Julie – May 5, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Attractive component to content. I simply stumbled {on|on} your web site and in accession capital to say that I get

Comment by sears discount store – August 30, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually they stop it because “Nikola Tesla” foundation trying to sue them.

Comment by Zierve – December 4, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again SyFy has let its viewers down with its cancellation of Sanctuary. Let’s make a list of how SyFy treats its viewers: Cancellation and terrible ending to Stargate Universe, terrible ending to Merlin (what was that all about), abrupt cancellation of Caprica, just to name a few. I’m beginning to get very leary about getting into new shows on SyFy. They have little respect for us.

Comment by Salbon – December 10, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I hate the wresting on SyFy, I know that wresting is a lot like scifi but why is it on SyFy? Put it on Comedy Central.

Comment by Salbon – December 10, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • syfy/space is no longer worth watching.

Comment by Doug – February 23, 2014 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post