Syfy's Sanctuary Cancelled: 'Bloody Hell' and More Reactions from the Cast

Syfy’s Sanctuary will not fly for a fifth season, it was announced on Monday — news that elicited a familiar refrain from series lead Amanda Tapping.

“‘Bloody hell’ indeed,” Dr. Magnus’ portrayer shared via Twitter, not long after the bad news broke. But prior to that, the actress gave kudos to the show’s passionate fans, saying, “We love and adore you. Thank you for the love and support. Now to the long dark tea time of my soul.”

RELATED | Syfy Sets Dates for Eureka Series Finale, Warehouse 13 and Alphas Premieres

In the months after Sanctuary‘s Season 4 finale aired in December 2011, little or no buzz surrounded its possible pick-up, leaving fans to fear-slash-prepare for the worst.

Other cast members weighed in on the news via Twitter, such as Robin Dunne (who played Will): “Thanks to our wonderful @SanctuarySeries fans for 4 years of love & support. You gave us a great life. See you on the next one. XO.”

RELATED | Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Not Going to Series

Ryan Robbins, who played Henry Foss, wrote: “Truly overwhelmed by all the wonderful #Sanctuary messages. You guys continue to be full of awesomeness. #bestfansever,” while Robert Lawrenson (Declan) tweeted, “A huge thank you to the phenomenal Sanctuary fans, cast, crew & producers for a wonderful run. Look back with pride and forward with spirit.”

1. I have seen that Amanda is currently on Supernatural.

2. wmiller says:

syfy is killing sci-fi have you looked to what they have besides wrestling? warehouse 13, being human, alphas, haven, not to mention new shows coming along like continuum and defiance. I love sanctuary even the 4th season that many of you did not, but if it wasn’t succeeding nothing can be done about it. and those of you who think it shouldn’t be about business fund it yourself oh wait you don’t have the money because you don’t care for “big business” they’d go broke if they kept shows that weren’t making money on the air. Use your heads. Do you think Amanda Tapping would do the show for free because I doubt it so why should the owners want to take a loss?

• Gloria says:

Very true, networks aren’t a charity. But I wouldn’t be so quick to say she wouldn’t do it for free; as long as she could pay her staff she just might have. She, Damian and Martin put loads of money into that series, it was their baby. I think the show was amazingly ahead of its time and if they had done a fifth, they would’ve done a lot more coverage of the past and it would have kicked ass. But I am so very grateful they ended it as they did in season four. My geeky heart would have been broken beyond repair if they didn’t make that final scene.

3. donny smeets says:

Sanctuary and Stargate Atlantis in the first place , were realy mistakes to cancel.

Shame for all the fans. I was a big fan of stargate. but bought everything exept universe. it was so good. but with this kind of open end it realy dissapoints too much. i am at season 4 episode 5 now in sanctuary and i hope for a little wrap up at least then.

Luckily there is the ultimate syfy show with an ending that is not wrapped up but streched to almost a half season. I am talking about the gem of all gems. the finest piece of art tlevision has ever seen. Battlestar Galactica 2003.

So say we all.

4. AliCat says:

I so miss Battlestar Gallactica. Also Universe, Farscape and Stargate. I now miss this. I so wish they would bring back back Universe or Gallactica. Universe was still going somewhere so good but Gallactica they were starting to get off course with. Either one can be saved and still be good. The writing, music and filing were all great. I am so sick of being introduced to good shows and them being taken of the air seeing crap either left on or put on its place. They shouldn’t focus on renaming themselves to SyFy from Sci-Fi and should focus on what their audiences keep saying over and over about what they really want to watch. I really want to check out some of the new shows coming out Defiance and Continuum but I also feel like why bother at this point, if they are worth anything SyFy will only cancel them by the time I really enjoy them and am fully involved in the characters and the series. I am sick and tired of being jerked around.

5. Jaime Rocha says:

I’m losing faith in syfy ability to judge .whichs hows stay on the air and which to cancel.

6. working girl says:

cant someone start a” MORON NETWORK ” where all the reality crap those horrid Sat. nite movies Ghost Hunters (where every dam episode is the same “did you hear it ? did you see it? ) answer is NO I DID NOT and wrestling get dumped and give us a real science fiction channel once Merlin Being Human and Haven are done so am I with syfi
    cause you know the new show defiance will be on then it will be sorry to expensive to produce

• BRAVE 33 says:

I agree with you the only thing they got going for themselves right now is the fat that Being Human is still on and Haven is scheduled to comeback. But they should have never gotten rid of Sanctuary. BRING BACK SANCTUARY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. pappy moore says:

• Heather Dunn says:

Syfy is my number 1 go to channel but the cancelling of sanctuary has really pissed me off, and I agree wrestling has ABSOLUTELY NO place here they need to remember who there target audience is or risk losing there audience all together.

8. pappy moore says:

When you have a good thing why end it.I mean WTH has wrestling got to do with SF&the other garbage they use as fillers .wake up r lose ur audience.ARE IDIOTS RUNNING THINGS? ;-) Reading and finding out NBC is the source of special idiots that are in charge that answer my question! ;-)

9. jenny says:

i loved sanctuary and i was one of the most amazing shows ever on tv.om heart broken that it is being axed and amanda tapping is an inspiratiobal actress, and not to mention in stargate she was the hot blonde.syfy needs to get their head out of the clouds and bring the great shows back to life.sanctuary could have went on for another few seasons and stargate too.its true what is said “what goes around comes around” so do us all a favour and hurry up and come back around with all the great shows.and do please cancel all the crap thats on tv now.thanx

10. Tiziana90 says:

It’s not fair!!! on tv there are so many crap … Sanctuary would have deserved 5-6-7 season etc.

11. TizianaSabatini90 says:

the Syfy has made ​​a huge mistake …. not have been able to take advantage of this wonderful TV series …. Sanctuary is DESERVES another season!! I can not accept it.

12. Dowd says:

I am most displeased to see that Sanctuary has been dropped, the whole cast including and especially Amanda Tapping were very good, my son and I thoroughly enjoyed the show and once again SYFY has dropped another good series. Please return to your roots and show us the Science-Fiction TV we want, thats why we picked up the blasted channel. Bring the show and cast back. I loved the SG-1 series, wish it was back.

13. dawn says:

I’m watching complete season 3. I’ll admit 1 show here or there wasnt their greatest but sometimes it was a conduit to greater collective spisodes. Other times it was fitting when there was a begining & ending in 1 episode. The quips & quotes alluding to our current real world added laughes even in serious scenes. Amanda Tapping & all the cast are spectacular actors & this is not the end for any of them. NBC & other networks should be on their toes & snatch these people up quickly on new quality shows. I’ve seen Ms. Tapping on Supernatural..its a great but infrequent. I dont have cable & really want it for SYFY….but mabe not! Thanks for this chance to voice & read all the other great comments.

14. Roseanne Salyer says:

I can’t stand the thought of another reality show. There are too many on all TV, as it is. I have pretty much quit watching Syfy. The crap they call movies are unwatchable. What the hell!!

15. BRAVE 33 says:

I really hate that they have canceled this show. I thought that Amanda Tapping and the rest of crew did an amazing job on this show. I am sick of all of the stupid comedy shows and if they wanted to cancel something on sci fi cancel that stupid ghost hunter show that is a dumb picture . There is nothing good on SciFi anymore all of the good shows they continue to cancel.

16. Julie says:

Why cancel a good show like this? And people wonder why I dont watch much on tv. Its because they keep canceling good shows like this one

17. Attractive component to content. I simply stumbled {on|on} your web site and in accession capital to say that I get

18. Zierve says:

Actually they stop it because “Nikola Tesla” foundation trying to sue them.

19. Salbon says:

Once again SyFy has let its viewers down with its cancellation of Sanctuary. Let’s make a list of how SyFy treats its viewers: Cancellation and terrible ending to Stargate Universe, terrible ending to Merlin (what was that all about), abrupt cancellation of Caprica, just to name a few. I’m beginning to get very leary about getting into new shows on SyFy. They have little respect for us.

20. Salbon says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I hate the wresting on SyFy, I know that wresting is a lot like scifi but why is it on SyFy? Put it on Comedy Central.

21. Doug says:

syfy/space is no longer worth watching.

22. Kay says:

Reality TV has taken over , I am almost at the point to just watch movies and cancel my cable every great show like Haven, and Sanctuary and Being Human and Revolution, I am serious get the reality TV off of syfy, enough is enough !!!!

23. fkoff says:

good, was one of the worst shows ive ever seen

24. fkoff says:

terrible show glad its gone

25. david rhead says:

sanctuary was an excellent show,as usual,the network cancels it leaving fans with no ending or conclusion,this happens so often.its even pointless collecting the dvd s because you cant complete them.the story is just hanging.all networks cancelling a show should at least do a double episode to finish them off properly.but fans dont seem to mean much,they only mean something to the actors and creaters off these excellent shows.more examples millenium,alphas to name a couple.