Idology: Who's to Blame for Joshua's Exit, and Why Jessica Can't Lose to Phillip

American Idol airs its two-part season finale this Tuesday and Wednesday (8/7c, Fox), but before the Idoloonie Nation can focus its energies on the apples-vs.-picture frames matchup of Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez, we need to take a moment to ask: “HOW THE HELL DID JOSHUA LEDET GET VOTED OFF IN THIRD PLACE?”

Whew, that felt better.

RELATED | American Idol: What New Songs and Encores Would You Pick for Jessica and Phillip?

Also possibly cathartic? Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and myself assigning blame to a number of parties for Joshua’s unfortunate early exit. Plus, I put my money where my mouth is and wager there’s no way Jessica can lose to Phillip, Melinda explains why she’s mad at Jennifer Lopez, and executive producer Jason Averett works through his issues with clips from Doctor Who, Sherlock, Game of Thrones, Buffy, and Community.

So press play below for this week’s Idology therapy session, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. sam says:

Michael you scare me if you are predicting a jessica win — i feel like you jinx it. And stop worrying about joshua.

2. Beck says:

I can’t wait to powervote for Phil tomorrow. I’m sick of people coming down on him because he happens to be a white guy who plays a guitar. He should not be punished or dismissed because of past winners. He has something special. He’s his own person. He never needed to be saved, he never hit the seal. He has delivered every week. He deserves to be there just as much as Jessica, just as much as Joshua or anyone else. He should not be penalized for the past which he had nothing to do with. And people who like him should not be penalized either or belittled or dismissed. We’re allowed to like who we like. And if people like Phil for whatever reason and believe he’s a great musician, so be it. It is true. Jessica and Phil are performers in their own way. I want Phil to win and I have a feeling he’s going to prove everyone wrong and be something great.

GO PHIL!

• Mary B says:

This 64 year old bag is going to vote for Phillip for 4 hours straight just because I can’t stand how nasty so many of you have been. He deserves it.

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

So being nasty to someone is good reason for someone to get a recording contract?

• Beck says:

ANY reason is a good reason because the whole point of American Idol is to vote for you want. End of story.

• Mary B says:

Don’t twist my words. I would never vote for Phillip if I did not think he deserved it. The nastier people get the more motivated it gets people and that is a fact. when Holly got the worse praise she was safe Beside no matter what they are both going to get a recording contract.

• YUAN says:

Just like Holly was pulled down then was safe the next week, jess was off too last week, and will win tomorrow. :)

• tarc says:

No, but it’s very, very satisfying to poke people that have been nasty just for the thrill of it. All the better I get to vote for the best in the meantime.

• Davey says:

Oh please.

• Amy says:

I totally agree with all you said. Good point too about the WGWG “penalizing” stuff.
      Love him. Because he’s talented, sounds GREAT, is unique, and totally won me over to his brand of his kind of music which I’d normally never be interested in…not a Dave Matthews fan either (if that’s who everyone says he sounds like.) He’s totally infectious to watch perform too. I’ve not downloaded any Idol stuff since Season 7, and I’ve downloaded most of his tunes; will get them all…he sounds terrific on all of them. Icing on the cake?…he’s adorable. But “adorable” doesn’t make me buy music…I buy music that moves me…P2’s does.

• Amy says:

oops correction, last year I downloaded Idol tunes was Season 8…in fairness to Kris Allen, who I like …I did download some of his songs that year, and one Adam tune. Anyway Season’s 9,10,11, none. P2 brought me back this year. …and Elise and Hollie too.

• two J's all the way says:

You lost me at “he has delivered every week”…

3. Vivi says:

“I literally saw a demon race off the stage.”

Michael, me love you.

4. Tim says:

How can you list great third place finishers without mentioning Kimberley Locke?

5. dj says:

Agreed with everything you said, Michael and Melinda. And Jason, you’re my hero. You even managed to sneak a Thin Man clip in there. I really wanted Joshua to win, but I am going to be ok with whoever wins, because they are both nice kids.

6. Mango2Baby says:

Love the shirt, Michael! I’m still in mourning over Joshua’s departure. Only looking forward to Wednesday to see his duet!!!

7. jw says:

Hey Slezak,

I think Jessica’s low point was the week she was actually voted off. She’s here because of the save.

My guess is that Phillip wins because he has a maturity that Jessica shouldn’t be expected to have yet. She still comes across as a better mimic than artist. Of course the producers have maliciously played that up by running the pageant clips. The youngest winner to date was Jordin Sparks and Jessica doesn’t have that presence yet. Its the same issue with David Archuleta.

• Davey says:

Can’t agree. The week that Jessica was voted off she performed a stellar Stuttering and she looked fantastic.

• YUAN says:

Correct. Stuttering was awesome, and is the brand that Jess should carry, and some upbeat songs. Last week was her lowest.

For Jordin Sparks, anyone saw her version of IWALY at Billboard Awards? it was so shaky, it was so thin and weak.

• noa says:

i still think Stuttering was her best performance. it was great

8. PFitzDC says:

Okay, Michael–I know you’re bitter. But you need to be fair.
    Joshua did nothing with “I”d Rather Go Blind”–and he could have killed that song if he’d bother to engage with it. (See Beyonce’s performance of it in “Cadillac Ranch.”) You can’t put all the blame on the pick–he dropped the ball. Similarly, you can’t separate him from the overly produced “Imagine.” It’s been clear for weeks that Joshua plays a very significant role in working with the arrangers for all his numbers–so he needs to take the blame for that, if you’re going to give him credit for the (super-screechy) No More Drama. I get that you think that was a top performance of the night–but you need to be honest in giving him some of the accountability for not bringing it 100% to the other two songs, since you are holding Phillip and Jessica to that standard.

Love PP and Jessica–am more likely to buy a PP album, but I am pulling for Jessica to win, as PP will suffocate in the Idol machine. He’ll be fine as #2, and she is perfect for the crown.

• deedee says:

Did Slezak not say that the show screwed Jessica with “My All”? Did he not say that Josh should have performed “Imagine” stripped down (the song, not Josh :) ). I don’t see that he’s holding them to different standards.
      I keep flip-flopping on who’s going to win. An hour ago I thought it was Jessica. But now after reading Jimmy Iovine’s phone conference transcript, I think he’s laying the groundwork for a P2 victory. I imagine he knows what the voting has looked like in the last few weeks.

• ivy says:

jimmy might have said those things so jessica’s huge army would double/tripple their effort in voting. that happened last week when her fans knew that she was in trouble due to the song choices and her having sore throat.

• TC says:

hmmm…in looking at Joshua’s whole body of work throughout the season, I’d say he absolutely, deserves to be in the finals. No one has come close to him when it comes to stellar overall performances throughout the season. From “I Wish” during Stevie Wonder week, to “When a Man Loves a Woman” to “This is a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” up to “NO Drama”, the kid PERFORMS. I love him and can’t get myself to watch tonight’s finale. A Jess vs. P2 finale is not where its at

9. Allyson says:

I am so tired of the tween voters voting on the same person for American Idol. It is predictable!! The voting system needs to freaking change. I have grown tired of American Idol. The only reason why I even watch this season was b/c of Josh, not only is he from Louisiana, but he has far more talent than Phillip. If Philip wins, all he is doing is continuing the trend of same winner year after year. Nothing new or exciting. When will Nigel listen to viewers and the need for a change in voting system?

• Beck says:

most viewers don’t want a change and Nigel certainly wouldn’t. If you wanna be limited in your votes watch Dancing with the Stars but I appreciate the chance to vote as much as I want for whomever I want.

• tarc says:

I’m not sure how Phillip would represent someone not “new or exciting”. He’s pretty new and exciting to me. Jessica copies the divas, and we already have/had a Whitney, a Celine, a JHud, and a Beyonce. What would a Jessica Sanchez album sound like? Something I’ve heard before. now, if you want different, I’d vote for Jessica if she sounded like Florence Welch. :)

• YUAN says:

Then you’d say “we have a Florence Welch already”? Jessica should cater to the younger generation, like Demi, Miley, Young Christina Aguilera, the likes.

After a few years, she can go bring the big diva image when Beyonce, Celine, Jhud retires.
        Its up to the producers, but for now she should win. :)

• ivy says:

the people she “copies” are all superstars and jessica is up to their standard :)

10. Davey says:

And Casey James was a also a fine number 3 who has a very good album out right now.
    Meanwhile I don’t know how Jessica can win against the gee-shucks fans of artistry that worship Phillip but maybe she’s saved the best for last.

I do hope I never have to read the words Jessica Sanchez and robot in the same sentence after next week. She deserves better than that.

11. Davey says:

Jessica needs to do one song in front of a band to shake things up this week. And play an instrument for a few minutes.

12. Thorne Brook says:

Crossing my fingers and hoping Michael’s prediction is correct this year! Also, really loving the Sherlock, Doctor Who, and Community excerpts, though this female gamer would definitely appreciate more Mass Effect. :D And may I just say, Dalek clips interspersed between Jessica singing is all kinds of hilarious. <3

13. Davey says:

I guess I’m the only one who thought Why Don’t You Stay was Phlllip’s lounge singer moment. It was awful.

• DaveyJ says:

If you think “Why Don’t You Stay” was awful, I would like to know what you think about Phillip’s “Time of the Season” by the Zombies. I read that this was the worst performance of the Top 24. I am a HUGE Dave Matthews fan and I do not like PP at all. I guess I’m just a stickler for a quality voice singing some sort of melody with good pitch. (is that too much to ask for?)

• tarc says:

Nope. I’m sure they can program Britney to give you just what you want.

• D says:

Even P2 fans, like myself, acknowledge “Time of the Season” was not a good performance. But one bad choice doesn’t negate the rest of the season and great performances he HAS had!

14. Jane says:

Should have been a Joshua- Jessica finale. I, like many others, would love to have a non-white guy with guitar win. The problem I have is that I think P2 is probably more talented than the last 4 WGWG winners. I enjoy his style of music better than Scotty, David Cook, Kris Allen, and definitely Lee. David and maybe Kris deserved to win their seasons, but not the other 2. I can’t really blame P2 for Lee’s and Scotty’s wins. I’ve watched A.I. since season 1 and have disappointingly watched my favorites go home over less talented singers. It’s always been like this and it’s a reflection of today’s music industry. Look who tops the billboards now? Sure, once in a while, a force of nature like Adele happens, but mostly it’s marginally talented pop singers like Kei$ha or Katy Perry who are also known more for their looks (ahem Phillip haters). The only A.I. winners who went on to have super successful careers are the girls, (Kelly, Carrie, and Jordin) and I can hope maybe Jessica is in it to win it and breaks the WGWG curse. A.I. needs a winner who actually sells albums.

15. Amy says:

Just finished downloading P2’s music on Itunes and another reviewer said what I was thinking….I want his audition version of Thriller!!

• Robin says:

I hope he does Nice and slow tonight as his pick for favorite song of the series. I really want a studio recording of that! Thriller would work too or In the air tonight. I don’t want a repeat…I want 3 more songs to download to my Ipod.

16. Amy says:

Jane–This: “The problem I have is that I think P2 is probably more talented than the last 4 WGWG winners. I enjoy his style of music better than Scotty, David Cook, Kris Allen, and definitely Lee.” (ps. Soctty had a guitar??…I don’t even recall, if so.)
    I was thinking same as far as the other WGWG wins…P2 is not just another WGWG. He has a distinct sound and style, and is a talented musician… I think he’s more marketable than DC & KA.

• Mary B says:

Jimmy Iovine just had an interview saying exactly what you are saying. Phillip is not your run of the mill WGWG syndrome. He is unique and has something special. It is so totally unfair to lump him in a pile of sameness just because he is nice looking, white and plays a guitar. He has something special and he will make it just like I believe Haley will be a big star. I don’t vote or go for a specific type I go for who I think has it. Last year Haley, this year Phillip.

• tarc says:

Scotty didn’t play guitar in his season, but I think I’ve seen him with one since (duh, he country). I have zero interest in country, but you have to acknowledge Scott has a stunning voice (wasted on country, IMHO, but hey :D ). He’ll be a lifelong star if he wants, but he’s not WGWG. David Cook has mad writing and arranging skills and a good voice, but it doesn’t seem to all quite come together. Kris Allen’s popularity is a mystery to me. Lee and Phil, however, have something special. They write their own stuff, it’s really good, and they have very distinct voices. I just wish Lee hadn’t let 19 convince him to do a pop record; his just pre-Idol album Slumberland is awesome.

• Mary B says:

I love Lee too. It is a shame what happened to him but I don’t think it was Jimmy Iovine who handled him. I could be wrong but I don’t think. I just think Jimmy will honor his talent more. He seems to appreciate it.

• Robin says:

Hi there Tarc! You and I seem to have the same taste in music. But I have to disagree with you on Kris. He writes a ton of his own music too, He has more of the pop egde that appeals to alot of people. Just sayin’. Go Philiip!

• Mary B says:

From what I understand I can’t post link. Just google Jimmy Iovine American Idol. He also has nice things to say about Jessica.

• noa says:

Scotty played guitar (i think once, but i’m not sure).

17. noa says:

1. donating money is great. but dying your hair pink is even better. i guess this is one of the differences between Idology with Melinda and Idolatry with Kristen.
    2. pixelating Phillip’s hand was priceless.
    3. what Michael said about Jlo taking womanhood back about 30 years is not only correct, but expected to happen on the X-factor this fall. i said something like this on the article Michael wrote about the new mentors and i got a lot of angry responses. i just can’t figure out why these show do their best to only find women people don’t take seriously. HOWEVER, since there are worse people on that judging panel (Randy…), i’m not as mad at Idol. anyway, she’s probably leaving. and taking randy with her??
    4. Elise. (i’m not sure i have anything to say, i just like to bring her up whenever i can.)
    5. i REALLY don’t care about Tuesday night. all i want to see is the finale. i want to see great performances! i’m excited to see Jeremy and Erika sing a little, since it’s been so long and my ipod forgot that anyone besides Elise Testone has ever sung anything.
    6. i have no horse in this race, so good luck to all of you Jessica and P2 fans. just one request: these 2 have the worst fan bases this year. of course this doesn’t apply to most of their fans, but to a core group in each camp. i have been called a b*tch by Jessica fans (which was annoying. the only people with any right to do so would be Randy fans if they exist. and they don’t) and have seen P2 fans call Jessica a b*itch. she is 16. come on! she’s working hard, ruining her youth and you go and attack her? your guy is in the top 2. you got him there without a scratch. be proud and leave that little girl alone.

18. noa says:

oh!! i noticed the shots of the actual top 3 in the beginning… Elise, Skylar and Joshua!

19. DaveyJ says:

I would love to see Phillip sing 3 songs on Tuesday evening that remotely match the complexity and range that Jessica will sing. Isn’t this a singing show? Phillip would instantly be exposed as vocally-challenged compared to the competition. Phillips eliminates the melody because he can’t sing it, and his intonation is poor at best. Even his studio recordings are full of clunkers. Hollie could have a few bad notes and be called for it, while Phillips would murder the song (not in a good way) and receive kudos.

The Top 3 was a travesty for song selection. Phillips received relatively easy songs that were in his wheel house, while Jessica had to sing an extremely tough Mariah Carey song AND a Michael Jackson/Mariah Carey song. In most competitions, there is a degree of difficulty associated with the scoring. Phillip is lucky this does not apply to American Idol, otherwise he would have been in the audience for a number of weeks. If a contestant chooses an easy song they are critizied for playing is safe, for Phillips, it’s just Phil being Phil.

The VoteForTheWorst website selected Phillips as their guy when DeAndre was voted off. I think they made a wise selection. Phillip’s “Time of the Season” was easily the worst performance in the Top 24 (but the judges still gave it a pass).

Most commentators outside of the USA can’t understand why Phillips is even in the competition. I guess if you’ve got millions of love-struck teens and cougars voting rabidly, and a rogue website voting 500+ each per “member” (and they’ve got thousands), you can overcome a lot of flaws in your game.

• tarc says:

I dunno – most of the dozen women from the UK in my writing group all favor Phillip. And after seeing the Voice UK, I can see why: they have much better pop singers (than Jessica at the moment) in the UK. They like the guys gritty and the ladies very emotive.

• jessie j says:

UK women. Better pop singers.. oh yeah, UK pop singers are way better than any American pop singer, look at Adele.. how old are these pop singers again btw?

• tarc says:

Yes, UK women are indeed ‘commentors outside the US”. And yes, both the Voice UK and Voice AU had ladies that were consistently better than the Idol ladies. I’d invite you to look youself. :)

20. noa says:

“joshua is the one you can give anything to”? mmm… Billy Joel week? plus- the only one who was able to tackle ANYTHING is Elise. all the group songs showed that. sure, not everything was perfect on the night, but she can do any style and while Joshua can do lots of things, i think we saw that he can’t do EVERYTHING. but yes. that was the wrong choice for him and they should have gone modern.

21. HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Just for fun, I’m offering myself as an example of the demog of Joshua ‘supporters’ to explain why he doesn’t have as many votes. I’m female, mid-thirties, not big into social media, don’t vote because I’m not in the US. And even if I can if I put it some effort (doing some research on how to get around the loopholes, am just not bothered), I won’t cos it’s not fair. Hypothetically speaking, if I am in the US and can vote, I doubt I will be power-voting either. I’d probably be moved enough to vote 2-3 times straight after; after which I’d begin to feel silly. And I don’t think I’ll be giving my votes to another contestant either just because my favourite is out. Since the top 13, I think I would have voted for P2 twice (the rest to Joshua, of course) but I’d only vote for one contestant a night.

22. Lois Benton says:

How Jessica can’t win, although obviously she should over Phillip? Well, Joshua’s out and I won’t vote on principle. Just don’t care about this show. Any more. I’ll watch the results show, to see Joshua. And then, fini.

• BYRON says:

First, it is absolutely obvious that AMERICAN IDOL IS FIXED. Let;s look back on every past season.Did anyone notice there has never been a latino winner.I figured out this is fixed and here’s my theory why. Each contestant who sang for their lives after being voted off, was summarily dismissed and not even considered being saved even though a couple of them should have been. By the time they reached the top fifteen, I knew they keeping that save for the Sanchez girl. The media made such a hoopla over her version of a Whitney Houston song(it was ok at best), I thought she had won the whole freakin contest. Again there has NEVER BEEN A LATINO WINNER!!! So i guessed , that on the last day the judges could use their save, they would pretend to boot off the Sanchez girl trying to cause drama and controversy to boost their ugly ratings (compared to prior seasons). Did you see how the judges rushed the stage hugging and slobbering all over her? I was half expecting to see balloons and confetti drop from the ceiling while Seacrest named her the winner. If you watched TMZ the next day, they showed a clip of one of the other girl contestants turn to another and clearly mouthed the words “This show is fixed” as the judges stood on stage making fools of themselves. I truly believed that Jennifer Lopez ONLY agreed to be on the show IF#1 There’s to a female latino winner the first season she is on the show. And #2 She gets to produce and premier an entirely latino singing and dancing show. Coincidence her other reality show Q’Vida premiered recently on Fox I think Not !!!! On an unrelated note, is it me or does the Sanchez girl sound like a black singer if you close your eyes? It is extremely ironic that they do not mind soulful black sounding singing as long as it doesn’t come from an African American female. Doesn’t it remind you of other soulful sounding singers who are not black, but are very successful such as Justin Bieber, Christina Aguilera, Adele and Elvis Presley to name a few.Idol even had the nerve to have MOTOWN night as though they were twisting the dagger in yet further as an inside joke. THERE WERE NO BLACK FEMALE SINGERS IN THIS YEARS’ TOP 24 . Out of thousands upon thousands of wide eyed hopefuls, you mean to tell me there was not ONE attractive Black female they could find who not only sang well but had a bubbly personality. Seems to me they found plenty of other female butter-faced caucasian mud ducks, who not only could not sing, but had a crappy personality.Finally, how can anyone respect Jennifer Lopez’s judging, when she herself can’t sing her way out of a paper bag.By the way her biggest ASSests which are hip hop dancing and her really round you-know-what are primarily African American attributes, DAMN!! I HAVE TO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay, this was just crazy and made me laugh. :-) By the way, do you know who really assasinated President Kennedy?

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

Actually the “other girl” I think ur referring to is Hollie — she did not say it was fixed she was telling Skylar that it was gna be okay, cuz they’re gonna use it on Jessica. She didn’t say it in a negative way she was happy that all 7 of em would stay again. Even on the “Still Rolling” after the show, she went to Jessica and was like “haha I knew ud be saved :D” cuz eveyrone knew there was no way in hell that girl was goin home shes too talented ! It was cute they were all just excited.

23. noa says:

oh, Jason. i think i’ll miss you most of all. what can i do until January?? i hope you told Elise about the upcoming drinking party we planned here on the message boards.

24. PattyWilla says:

So this time I can’t agree with you, Slezak. While I think Jessica has a great voice, she is not ready to be out there being eaten by the sharks. My votes will go to Phillip.

25. cynders2 says:

I was surprised that Jessica rather than Joshua got in the final – however i think that the winner (and most deserved out of the two) is Phillip – Jessica is a performer who will soon be forgotten – she has nothing new/different to offer. While Phillip brings a unique voice and talent to the stage.

• Mimi says:

Yeah sure, i live near a bar strip, and there are about 5 guys who sound like him every week. It only shows how shallow you know about the music world. Philip is not original. Not unique. Maybe just different to the point he loses his mind when he sings and moves. Just that!

Live with that. If you cant accept it,maybe you live in a farm. Then its fine. :)

26. Casey says:

Unfortunately, some us just don’t like the way that Joshua sings. I take nothing away from his ability but I would never ever buy his album or listen to his music because I just don’t like listening to him scream at me.

• noa says:

i agree. he is not for everyone, and that’s probably why “only” made it to 3rd. for the people who enjoy this kind of music i’m sure he was really great, so they carried him to 3rd place. for instance, i did NOT like how he “sang” ‘but it wouldn’t be nothing’ on Man’s Man’s world. just wasn’t pleasant for me to hear. not good phrasing in my opinion.

• darcy's evil twin says:

There are plenty of people that feel that way and I respect your opinion. My dad likes singers like George Strait. I find George a bit dull, but my dad hates the “screaming” singers (like Carrie Underwood and Martina McBRide).
      See my post below. Joshua needed a few more songs with arrangements that were more like “Ready for Love”.

• Name That Tune says:

Ok, but you can make the same comment about P2 or Jessica. Some people don’t like the way either one of them sings. Just read these boards. Plenty of criticism all around. Buying an album is rather meaningless. With 39,000 sales for Lee DeWyze, whether or not you would ever BUY their music is irrelevant.
      ————–
      This is an in-the-moment show. At this moment, people are passionately discussing P2 or Jessica or Joshua. About 30 days from now, we will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

• idolfan22 says:

Well said NameThatTune.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yes, well said. We had three singers in the top three that were completely different. I like Joshua and P2, even though they’re completely different. I’m not wild about Jessica but it’s nothing against her personally – she’s talented but I’ve never been fond of that type of music.

27. CM says:

Can someone tell me if Philip is the same Philip Phillips that tried out on XFactor last season?

28. darcy's evil twin says:

Joshua. Flippin’. Ledet. Indeed. That. Is. All. Amen.
    As usual, wonderful Idology, Mr. Slezak and Melinda. LOVED the “Thin Man” clip. There are plenty of Thin Man clips that would work in Idology (the ones that are politically correct, anyway).
    I also wonder about assigning “blame” as to why Joshua went home. You know, when they first announced they were doing away with a lot of the “theme weeks” I was relieved, but honestly, now I’m missing it.

It’s not enough to be able to say “Joshua can sing anything”. A performance says 1000 words. When the contestants had country week, Big Band week, Rat Pack Week, etc. we saw some of the best and most interesting performances. I realize there’s a lot of criticism about doing things that are “current”, but holy cow, we can go to karoke night at the local bar and see those performances.
    I look back on the contestants that literally COULD sing the phone book :-) or whatever was tossed their direction. Everyone was excited to see what Adam Lambert and David Cook would sing every week. I think of Kelly Clarkson’s “Stuff Like that There”, Kris Allen’s take on Donna Summers’ “She Works Hard for the Money”, and yes, Melinda Dolittle’s “Sway” on Latin night. Melinda has said Latin Night concerned her but it demonstrated her versatility.
    I also enjoyed P2’s “Beggin'” the best of his three performances. He should definitely be in a band, like Daughtry. “We’ve Got Tonight” was a serviceable performance but had no passion. And while Jessica has boatloads of talent, I don’t think she deserves to win, but if she does, so be it. The 60 year-olds in my neighborhood love her and they’ll buy her CDs right along with Michael Buble and that English woman with the curly hair.
    If Idol were still doing the old “theme weeks” that required some versatility and creativity, Joshua would be in there. It would also help if he’d had fewer overwrought arrangements.

• deedee says:

I agree about the theme weeks. Those were kind of fun because it forced the kids to be a little imaginative. My favourite theme is “standards” night because I loooove those old jazzy, breezy tunes, and the contestants always do a great job. And Broadway week? haha – my guilty pleasure. Can you imagine Joshua tackling “Heaven On Their Minds”? Yeah, he’d be booted the next night, but at least we’d have the recording :D.
      I agree also that “Beggin'” was Phillip’s best of the night. That was a really funky, enjoyable arrangement and a good delivery. Disagree on “We’ve Got Tonight”, though. I really enjoyed his vulnerability on that song and even though it looked like he was struggling a bit to hit some of the notes – he sounded pretty good. Phil had the best night of the 3, and based solely on that, he deserves to be in the finale. Jessica had a crappy night, but there she is anyway. Not much more to add to that, lol.

Joshua. Flippin’. Ledet. suffered from too much adulation and not enough guidance. Did he not watch Idology?? Did he not hear Melinda tell him to chill with the overwrought arrangements? Oh, Joshua. I’m mad at the show for giving him the Etta James number rather than a current song; I’m mad at Joshua for gospeling up “Imagine” in the worst way ( and the studio recording is even worse); and I’m mad at Jimmy for giving him a song with the instruction to “take it to Church”, without also advising him to make sure at least one of his performances was kept at “Ready For Love” levels as a counterpoint.

Roll on, Finale! Can’t wait to see Elise and Skylar again (do we know who they’re dueting with? Hoping for Elise with Steven Tyler or Stevie Nicks!) Josh and Fantasia … omg, don’t know about this one. If they try to one-up each other on the insane Church segment of their song, I’m afraid the Idoldome might burst into flames. Also, I hope she doesn’t Mary J Blige him out of his moment (see Yamin, Elliott S5).

• T_T says:

Love your post deedee. rofl!

• Mary B says:

Does anyone know if they are going to leak the song list for tonight like the usually do the day of the performances?

• darcy's evil twin says:

And I love your post as well, deedee. “Heaven on their Minds” for Joshua – that’s perfect. I loved Broadway week and I loved the Big Bands music. The complex melodies of the 40s music really separated the men from the boys. I’m trying to figure out what in the world P2 would sing from the 40s. Oh well, if Willie Nelson could fumble his way through “Stardust”, P2 could probably manage it as well.
          And I loved your comments about Joshua. They’re right on the money. I’m not sure the Etta James number hurt him as much as “Imagine”.

And Sweet Baby Jesus, Please, Idol, PLEASE. Get rid of the gospel choir.

• TC says:

I don’t need to see a duet with Fantasia. I’d just be happy to be able to see Josh due a repeat performance of “When a Man Loves a Woman” or “I Wish” tomorrow night. I no interest in watching the finale tonight but will definitely watch results show just to catch some exciting performances from the other contestants. I’m still so bummed

• noa says:

i’m hearing that only the top 5 get a duet. i was so excited for tomorrow and now i’m pissed. if Casey got that horrible duet last year, i don’t see how they can skip Elise like that. again- ROBBED.

29. Max says:

I’m sorry. I don’t see what all the fuss is about Joshua and Jessica. Sure they can sing but they are as about exciting as watching paint dry. Phillip is entertaining. . .he makes me smile.

30. Yo' says:

Michael and Melinda, I feel your pain. I actually forgot this show had another week to run; it ain’t nuthin’ without Joshua and Elise.

31. ramification says:

The winner will come down to who will show more fight in the finale as I think its so close between the two of them, so I think Jessica has a shot at it.

32. intelliwoman says:

Not watching, Jessica has no performance skills, she’s a cold b…h with no personality, Phillip is a one note singer. The best are gone. What a terrible dissapointment. FYI I hear most of lousy Jessica’s votes are coming from the Phillipines where folks are votong 100 times each

• ivy says:

if this is true then how come she was lowest in dialidol last week?

• deedee says:

Because Dialidol is irrelevant now that texting and online voting have become much more popular. Dialidol only measures busy signals from a sample of the telephone-using voting public.

• deedee says:

Oh, wait … sorry, does Skype get through to the phone lines? I think so. You make a good point.

• T_T says:

You can’t power text nor vote online outside america. You can only do calls, that is if you know how to manipulate your ip address (which not so many people know how to do). Otherwise, outside votes won’t get through. People around the world (not only the the Philippines) have been doing that for their idols since the two David’s season or maybe even earlier.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Sorry, are you 12? There is no need to call Jessica that. If you like Phillip better, fine. But there is no need to name-call a 16 year old.

33. gmr says:

Joshua was voted out because at the end of the day this comes down to whose album would you buy. Joshua can sing (all top 6 are great) but I would not buy his album or Jessica’s for that matter because I do not like their style. I have not agreed with judges most of year and for a change have with Jimmy. They all have great careers in front of them. Go Phillip!

34. Jessica Isner says:

I haven’t watched yet but I have thought about this for six days and I’ve listened to the people who’ve said Josh’s version of “No More Drama” doesn’t compare to Mary J’s and I just really have to disagree. To me, that performance was easily one of the top 3 of this season, and not necessarily because it was perfect but because he put so much emotion into that, he looked physically and mentally exhausted afterward. You can’t teach that kind of talent. You either have it or you don’t, and he’s the only contestant this season who had it.

35. Laura says:

What I don’t understand about all the negative comments about Philliip is where the anger comes from? This is a singing competition for the “American Idol”. It isn’t necessarily about who is the “best”, it’s about who the masses prefer. Why get angry that people prefer to hear music to relax and groove to? He’s a good singer, he’s mellow and has a good vibe about him. He isn’t a power singer – that’s Jessica and Joshua’s thing – he isn’t as technically good as Jessica — but he does have a good sound and is entertaining. I wish people could just accept that there are different styles and taste and just because he’s not able to perform in a master class doesn’t mean that he’s not deserving of doing well in this industry.

• CM says:

Good to see some people are reasonable and mature. There is always too much negativity, anger and just plain nastiness when it comes to ANY contestant.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, exactly. And I think it’s worse this year because the contestants are SO different. There are always going to be differences of opinion. My husband prefers a different type of music than me but the people he likes are not “horrible”. Joan Baez is not “horrible”. I just prefer to listen to Led Zeppelin.

36. Jill says:

I just can’t believe you don’t understand how old fashioned Joshua is – so not what does well in today’s market. Just think how badly Fantasia has done. It’s not about the actual quality of voice or else we’d have to put up an opera singer.

• deedee says:

Old fashioned has made a comeback in recent years. Amy Winehouse, Adele, Ceelo Green, Bruno Mars … all of them retro. Joshua can fit in there with the right material. He may not become a huge Top 40 artist, but there are other formats that he could succeed in.

• idolfan22 says:

DeeDee, Fantasia came in at number 4 on Forbes list of American Idol’s top earners last year. Go to Forbes dot com and look it up. Fantasia’s concerts ALWAYS sell out. You might be confusing her with Lee Dewyze.

• gailer says:

Exactly! I have a teen daughter, and she would never listen to R&B

• deedee says:

And your teen daughter represents all of the music-listening American public? There are 300 million people in the U.S. .. guessing not all of them like what your teen daughter likes.

• gailer says:

Young people drive the music business via concerts, not record sales or listening, thus, probably both of these finalists will be forgotten like the rest of the Idols except for Carrie and Kelly. I predict neither will be stars.

• deedee says:

R&B and other genres still exist and still have their following. Few musicians/performers reach superstar status like Kelly and Carrie, but they still manage to tour, sell out smaller venues, sell records, and make a very, very comfortable living. I suspect that’s what will happen with Phillip. As for Jessica – her brand of music, style, and age are more suited for a pop-princessy career, and to succeed in that arena she’ll need to be a Top 40 hit, and be on your teen daughter’s radar. So, my prediction is that Phillip will survive and thrive under the radar, and Jessica will be entirely hit or miss.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Several former Idols have also done well in touring shows (Syesha Mercado in “Dreamgirls” and Constantin Maroulis in “Rock of Ages”).
            My neighbor told me Stefano Langone was going to be in a production of “Jersey Boys”. Has anyone else heard that?

37. gailer says:

Yea! Michael, was that the Thin Man I saw?

38. ClickMe says:

So much fun to watch IDOLOGy with Mr Slezak and Ms Doolitle!!
    Thank you!

39. Amy says:

Go Phillip!!!!! …just had to get that out today.

40. Applesdefinitely says:

lol not gonna lie – it’s so very satisfying to see Michael being all up in arms defending the “screechy” contestant, and bitter about him losing to the WGWG one this season ;p It’s a beautiful thing.

I mean, “who should we blame for Joshua’s exit”? Seriously, guys.
    As to why he was voted off, it’s simple – you didn’t vote for him enough, and I like both Phil and Jessica better. :D

• Chris says:

Well as long as you like Jess and P2 better than it’s okay then (eye roll). Some of us, including Slezak and Melinda, can appreciate real talent in Joshua

41. cmouse says:

Not everyone that watches AI, is young and into gospel/r&b..I like rock and alternative rock, mostly…I think Jessica is boring, incredibly boring. I can’t stand to listen to Josh, I can understand that they have talent, but I wouldn’t buy anything they made. I like PP cause he’s interesting, current, I would probably buy his stuff. that is what AI is about, who is going to sell! It is not about who is the best singer!

• Name That Tune says:

Sorry, you’re wrong. AI isn’t about selling anybody’s CD. It’s about RATINGS and ADVERTISING DOLLARS. The rest of it is a distraction.

42. Anthony says:

I understand the whole tween vote thing, but I am a 23 year old guy and I would rather listen to Phillip than Jessica anyday. I also vote about 50 times for Phillip, and I give him all of my Online votes. I send in a couple hundred texts too. So saying its just teenage girls is not completely true. My wife and I have viewing parties and we all, men and women, vote for Phillip.

43. seattlejohn449 says:

I’m in the middle of reading AMERICAN IDOL FINALISTS: WHERE ARE THEY NOW at THE DAILY BEAST/SEXY BEAST ENTERTAINMENT AND FASHION…70 interviews with Idol contestants that doesn’t sugarcoat their post-Idol lives and careers…simply eyeopening, amazing stuff…check it out!!!!

44. Lisa says:

don’t understand all the fuss over Joshua!! he never did a thing for me! he screams all his songs more than sings! if i wanted to hear someone to sing like church i would go too church! good bye and don’t let the door hit you in the rear on the way out. Jessica should win cuz they can mold her into what they want! Phillip will have a huge career as he is very talented and just goes out there and has fun! that’s what this is suppose to be about! having fun and singing for the love of singing! not to please some stupid ass judge like Randy who can’t even speak English and get the name of songs right!!

45. Veyna Moran says:

if i may say so, and i apologize in advance for those who might be offended, the shadow of jacob lusk did in (or out, as the case may be) joshua ledet. anyway, i feel p2 is so lightweight it’s not going to be a thrilling, breathtaking, down-to-the-wire finale (as it would have been with joshua). jessica takes the crown, is there any doubt about it? her musicality and high level of performance all throughout the season guarantee this!!!

46. Veyna Moran says:

oh, i forgot to say this. here we are at about the end of another american idol season, and i miss you (michael and melinda) already!!! i may not always agree with you two but you guys are always hilarious. you guys should do a spot on a talk show or have one of your own. but dear melinda, don’t forget the singing ok? waiting for your next songs… love you guys!!!

47. kevin says:

Joshua couldn’t sing Happy Birthday To You without screeching and “taking us to church”. Occasionally, it’s a wonderful thing. But if you do it in every song, it’s not “feeling it” — it’s an affected performance that’s off-putting. Right up there with Bucky Covington flinging the mic from hand to hand. The Fantasia-Joshua duo was laughable histrionics.