First Look Video: Watch Amy Sherman-Palladino's New ABC Family Dramedy Bunheads Now!

Lace up your toe shoes and take a few warm-up pirouettes, TVLine viewers — you’ve got a chance to see ABC Family’s new dance-centric drama, Bunheads, before it premieres (June 11, 9/8c)!

Amy Sherman-Palladino’s long-awaited post-Gilmore Girls series (we’re choosing to forget about The Return of Jezebel James) follows Michelle (Broadway darling Sutton Foster), a Vegas showgirl who moves to California after marrying Hubbell (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’s Alan Ruck). But Hubbell’s disapproving mom, Fanny (GG doyenne Kelly Bishop), proves she can be quite a pain in the tutu. As Michelle struggles to find her place, she bonds with a bunch of students at Fanny’s dance studio — the titular “bunheads.”

Click this link and use the case-sensitive code TVLineBunheads for your sneak peek. But do it quickly: There are a limited number of views, and the code expires on Sunday, May 27. Once you’ve watched, hit the comments below and let us know what you think!

1. You appear to be outside the US……………Seriously ABC people ALL over the world watch your shows, and buy your shows DVDs, least you could do is let us stream promos on your site! Jeeeez!

• noa says:

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      at least warn us in the article

• Chris says:

Why should YOU get access to OUR shows? That’s pretty presumptuous of you to want OUR entertainment for free. You have NO right to it.

• Dawnmac says:

Nice attitude, no wonder other countries think like they do about us. Apparently you don’t realize most show play outside the US and that is how OUR movie/ tv studios make their money. Chill.

• A says:

The thing is US networks have to clear the shows to air in other countries, which includes clearing all music included in the show also. Sometimes other countries don’t want to have US shows air there because it takes away from the shows native to that country. So its not necessarily ABC’s fault.

• Tee says:

Most tv networks are like this. My best friend moved out of the country and the only sites she doesn’t have problems with are things like MTV and Comedy Central.

2. Allie says:

Yes I’m outside the US… But I love American shows. I wish the US networks would understand.

• Chris says:

• myc0nf35510n says:

Wow.. How arrogant of you. These shows also made revenue overseas. And by the way, it’s not Y OUR SHOWS, it’s those network shows. You didn’t help making them. And you get to watch it for free anyway. So stop being an arrogant a**hole

• Allie says:

nice. For your information, all of what you call your shows are making a lot of money overseas (in my tiny country, a show is bought by at least 2 channels) + dvds,….. So imagine what it makes for the whole Europe! Add South America, Asia,… The production of an US show takes that into account too. I don’t want entertainment for free (btw, I don’t think you actually pay for ABC Family neither, and I’m ready to see commercials), I just think that they should give access to teasers in that case.
        Another thing: when there’s a buzz about one show in Europe (because Europeans are watching it online), the channels here buy this show because of the buzz around it. So, sorry to make american entertainment economy works overseas.
        And by the way, I have lived on the east coast (chill, it didn’t cost anything to the US economy; it was a student exchange so an American citizen was in Europe), and gladfully I haven’t met people thinking like you!

• mirleival says:

It’s not even just overseas. They don’t even work in Canada. And we air the same stuff, practically, that America does. It really doesn’t make sense. 33 million people here, and we mostly watch American network shows.

• tarc says:

Of course, that’s nonsense. Most of these videos are promos for shows that will air in most markets around the world. Beyond that, pretty much anyone that speaks English can get access in various ways – free, paid, or illegal – to anything they want to watch. Restricting the promos is stupid in this day and age.

• tarc says:

Sorry, by ‘speaks English’, I just mean who would bother with unsubtitled English language TV if you didn’t speak English.

• Barre says:

You know what it doesn’t seem fair, but The Avengers came out abroad first and we had to wait to see that, and that was an American film, so it happens here too.

3. ivaddj says:

just proxy it and then watch. just one more ring to hoop through

4. Epip. says:

Kelly Bishop!!! <3

5. Lilly says:

If you live in Canada, it’s not any of the networks blocking the content, it’s our lovely CRTC. It’s a licensing issue. Just google how to get around this by using a proxy to view this content.

6. Nicole says:

Hmm, I think this has real potential. I didn’t see the end coming, nice plot twist.

7. Tee says:

Pretty decent pilot. I’d tune in to see the next ep. Glad I got to see it, thanks!

8. Kylee says:

I really didn’t expect what happened! The show has a lot of potential and I really really really love Kelly Bishop!

9. Ros says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the pilot. I’m really looking forward to this series. It should help with my summer withdrawal from “Bones” (same night… different network).

10. Stephanie says:

What?!? I did not expect that ending! I was wondering where the show was going to go… I guess I know. I’ll watch!

11. Guest says:

Think the pilot is quite messy – an extra 10 minutes would have been great, but OMG, Amy Sherman-Palladino is AMAZING. Can’t wait for rest!

12. Allyson says:

I absolutely loved it! The dance scene at the end was so much fun…until it wasn’t.

13. Suzanne says:

Loved it! Can’t wait to see the next episode, and I loved seeing so many faces from GG.

14. Rachel says:

I actually saw the ending coming. Because…(SPOILER ALERT!)….

How long could they keep Alan Ruck? It made sense to me that he would either leave or die. She needed a reason to stay other than the fact that they were married. And Amy Sherman-Palladino has always been a bit literal…Michelle wore a black dress that looked like she was going to a wake instead of a wedding reception. I did like it, though. I’ll watch this summer and see what happens.

• Chris says:

If he’s dead, that’s actually a reason for her to leave. The only thing keeping her in town is the husband.

• Melly says:

Well, not really. She has no job, no family, no friends. Where would she go? And her being married to Hubbel was/is the key to keep her there. She now owns the house, the shoe store (factory?). Who knows, she may be pregnant after that one time they did it.

I thought the pilot was fantastic. I don’t know about anyone else, but the first words out of Michelle’s (Sutton Foster’s) mouth I immediately recognized as ASP. Also I laughed when I saw GG’s Drella as her prostitute neighbor. When Kelly Bishop showed up I was overjoyed. Then when Gypsy showed up in the dress store I started to get a little teary, and on top of it Sam Phillps music completely tipped me over the edge. Oh, I hope this show stays around a long time.

• surfkitty says:

My eyes dampened ever so slightly too. Watching Bunheads was like finally getting to visit with old friends again. Good work Amy, may you have a long long run!

15. Kat says:

Terrific pilot! I’ll definitely watch the show. Kelly Bishop was soooo great!! Loved the dancing! Loved the writing, Sutton Foster, the girls. I see real potential for this show.

16. mark says:

i liked it i would watch next ep to see what happens

17. Paige says:

First off you guys are very awesome for letting us view this. Now on to the show, I was really loving it and then the end… WHAT? Is this like a common theme with shows about ballet to do that kind of thing? This is the second show to do that, sheesh. But I did dove that they snuck some Gilmore Girls alums in like Gypsy (Rose Abdoo) .

18. sk says:

Wow. the ending was really unique. I did not see that coming. I’ll definitely check out ep. 2!

19. madhatter360 says:

Why would you forget about Jezebel James? That show was really good.

20. mm says:

Was it just me, or did I catch a familiar “la la la la” during a scene transition? :-) I may watch *just* for all the Gilmoresian touches. The show seems like it will be decent enough, though it looks like ASP has created another female-heavy universe. I had read that the role of Luke was originally that of a female cafe owner, but ASP changed it because early feedback called the show too estrogen-heavy. She might have the same problem here.

• Stacy says:

:) Sam Phillips or the “la la la” artist was indeed featured twice in the episode. (At least, twice that I caught.)

Given that we’re only in the pilot of introducing the cast and it’s centered around ballerinas, it’s not a bit surprising that we’re lacking in the testosterone department. Give it a few episodes and I’m sure they’ll start introducing new characters.

21. I hope other people liked it as much as I did, because I’d really love to see this show thrive. There will never be another Gilmore Girls, but the charm level of this show is definitely in the same ball park. Love ASP and all the talent associated with this show. Hopefully it’ll be a hit.

22. Laura says:

LOVED IT!!!! Loved the dialogue, the pacing, the quirky characters… This is a good one!!

23. I like the concept. As a ballerina, it’s one of the more well-done representations of being a dancer. Some of the acting is over done though. I think that as long as they get rid of Truly it could do really well.

24. ***********************************SPOILER ALERT*********************************************************

OK, now that, that is out of the way. Holy Crap. That ending took what looked to be an amusing family show and kicked it to a whoooole other level. Yanking my brain away from the ending for a minute. Oh, how I’ve missed Amy’s rapid fire witty dialogue. The first big moment for me was when I yelled “CAMERON” when Hubble walked onto the screen. They should never ever use that guitar rift from Gilmore Girls again. I appreciate the nod but it totally jarred me to see Kelly Bishop and hear that Carol King croon. This show needs to establish it’s self stat and throwing overt references like that into the mix is not going to help do that. Keeping it subtle will make it endearing rather than pandering. More like Once Upon A Time does. It was really nice to see so much of Stars Hollow in Paradise. Even Drella as a hooker was fantastic. I see big potential in the relationship with the ballet girls. It’s like we’re getting the Miss Patty story instead of Lorelei. They’ve found some extremely talented young girls for the class. Back to that fantastically unexpected ending. I think that they may have showed their hand a little too soon. If it had been a 2 hour premiere it probably would have worked better. Right now if Hubble is dead there is no real reason for her to stay there with another hour and more time with Hubble it would feel more established. Anything else will feel a little forced. If he is in a coma then Amy is even more sadistic to her characters than usual in this show. The only way it would be even remotely realistic is if she is pregnant… once again making Amy a sadist. That could be fascinating though. After watching this I get the distinct feeling that Amy as no idea how to write a functional relationship as a main part of a show. The only time she shows a couple together is when their having problems. Happy couples that support and help each other with life’s problems are apparently boring for her. Hubble could have really helped Michelle to change her life and make her happy.
    I’d really like to to tune in for the rest of the season to see where they go with this but after their crappy treatment of Make it or Break it I decided not to watch ABC Family shows anymore. So now I’m in a moral dilemma. Overall I’d say it was a pretty darn good pilot. Nowhere near as good as Gilmore Girls (which remains the best pilot I’ve ever seen) but still better than a lot of pilots I’ve been watching recently.

• Stacy says:

The pilot clearly established that the house belongs to Hubble, not his mother. Upon his death, it will be inherited by his wife. Given that Michelle feels she has no life to return to, may feel she can help these girls, and presumably not wanting to turn her mother-in-law out on the street, I’m sure she’ll find a reasonable excuse to stay.

Gilmore Girls may have had a good pilot, but the show still improved in spades especially through the first season. I’m hoping the same will be true of this ASP show.

• Do you get the impression that even if the house was legally hers that Michelle would ever, in a million years claim that house after being married to Hubble for 24 hours? She is not an acquisitive harpy and she already felt guilty about marrying Hubble in the first place. She would have to be a selfish soulless bit(# to take a dime from Hubble let alone the house.

• lara says:

Um, she took a very expensive watch from a man she called a stalker and made fun of. I’m not saying she would take the house, but she’s definitely not one of those people who’s too proud to.

25. Meghan says:

Thanks for sharing with us. I liked it and will be watching it as it airs. I, too, noticed the musical changes between scenes reminiscent of Gilmore Girls. The dialogue is fast and snappy and I thought that the characters fell into that a little better as the episode progressed. Kelly Bishop is wonderful! As a Friday Night Lights fan it was nice to see Mindy Riggins in another role.

26. Colleeeeeeeen says:

I thought it was terrific and I will absolutely watch it again, however what kinda bothered me was some of the GG touches were too much/ too reminiscent: the la la la’s, the small town with the quirky residents, so many of the same cast – Gypsy! I think it doesn’t need to repeat any themes, it has enough going for it on it’s own.

27. loulzb says:

decent pilot.. the end is what is going to make me want to watch it again!

28. Sabrina says:

I thought the town was like Stars Hollow on the beach, and the music has a very Gilmore Girls feel, I’m not sure that I love or hat that she is going back to the well. I am a huge Sutton Foster fan, and would probably watch anything even if it was terrible, but this has promise, I’m just sad about the end.

29. tlcinvt says:

Thanks so much for the preview. I didn’t realize I was going to get the full episode… So excited for this show. I still miss Gilmore Girls, and this show seems like it might fill that void a little! I was so shocked by the ending though. Not sure that was necessary, but anxious to see more.

30. Tookie says:

This show is soo great!!! It’s so similar to Gilmore Girls, yet so different! I love the alumni!!! I can’t wait to watch more!!!

31. Anna says:

I absolutely loved it. I missed Kelly Bishop. It just needs a Sookie like character. I can’t wait for the episodes to air!

32. Mel says:

Watched it on Youtube….Looks good. The main has a similar attitude to that of Lorelai, if that is true, it will be FANTASTIC!!!

33. This show is going to be a hit. Can’t wait for the rest of the episodes this summer.

34. Susan says:

I thought it was really cute! But the ending…OMFG!

35. Mehvash says:

Definitely worth a second look. i love kelly bishop and suttton foster seems interesting..she’s not lauren graham..but she’s got a similar vibe. too bad about Alan Ruck. i love him.

36. I loved it ask well. It def. has a “Gilmore” vibe to it, which is great, and the characters, esp. the main one, are very personable and make you want to see what happens. And yes, that ending what surprising!

37. Katie says:

I love love love Sutton Foster, she is amazing and so wonderful. The rest of the show was ok… very ABC family in tone and acting abilities. I will watch it because I adore S.F.

38. Arielle A. says:

I have definitely missed a good Amy Sherman-Palladino dialogue on my tv screen as of late. The ending really was the major hook for me that has me wanting to see what happens next! Sutton Foster is amazing, and I really appreciate how Kelly Bishop can still have here wonderful ‘Emily Gilmore’ quips and attitudes while doing shots at a bar! I cannot wait to see where it goes from here!

39. Kristina Kada says:

A+

40. Sarah says:

I love Amy Sherman Palladino. I loved Gilmore Girls and still watch it sometimes. I’m glad this was around and will definitely be watching the rest of the season.

***Spoiler Territory****

That having been said I do wish that she would have kept Alan Ruck for a couple more episodes. Develop the relationship and the town and then done the big twist. It makes me wonder how they’re going to keep her there. She better not be pregnant. Since it was so unexpected I find it hard to believe that she’s in his will.

Frankly, I wish they could have kept him the whole season. Developing Michelle’s ability to love him and trust him would have been really interesting and different for ASP.

41. Monica says:

I’m so excited that Amy has a new show! She’s definitely unique. I’ll be waiting anxiously to see what happens next.. good cliff hanger. Not to mention I love dance so this is just for me! :)

42. Amy says:

Loved it! I thought, especially for a pilot, that it was fantastic. It has awesome potential. Love the Gilmore Girls vibe but hope in the future it isn’t so on the nose about it. That ending was truly shocking – kudos for having the guts to do that in the first episode. I can’t wait to find out how/why Michelle will stay. Was so excited to see Kelly Rowland and the girl who plays Mindy Riggins – as well as the other GG alumni. Love that ABC Family is now airing legitimate shows that adults can love.

43. rg says:

Dresses & shoes? Anyone else think of Star Hollow “candy & flowers”?

44. rg says: