Community Shake-Up: Dan Harmon Replaced as Showrunner – To 'Broaden' the Show's Appeal?

Get More: Controversy, News

The Greendale Gang is getting brand-new leadership.

David Guarascio and Moses Port (Just Shoot Me, Aliens in America) are joining NBC’s Community as exec producers/showrunners, TVLine has confirmed. The duo will replace series creator Dan Harmon, who will now serve as a consulting producer — which, Harmon suggests, is little more than a vanity title.

“You may have read that I am technically ‘signed on,’ by default, to be an executive consulting something or other,” Harmon shared Saturday via his Tumblr page. “However, if I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldn’t have any power. … I would be ‘offering’ thoughts on other people’s scripts, not allowed to rewrite them… not allowed to say whether a single joke was funny or go near the edit bay etc.

“I’m not saying you can’t make a good version of Community without me,” he continued, “but I am definitely saying that you can’t make my version of it unless I have the option of saying, ‘It has to be like this or I quit’ roughly eight times a day.”

The replacement of Harmon comes on the heels of co-showrunners Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan moving to the Fox comedy Ben & Kate, and Chris McKenna vacating his role as co-exec producer.

RELATED | Former Community Executive Producers Join Fox Comedy

Harmon claims that Sony Pictures TV, the studio that makes Community, pulled the trigger on this transition without attempting to extend his most recent, one-year deal. “[T]heir reasons for replacing me are clearly none of my business,” he writes, “and I kind of don’t want to hear what their complaints are because I’m sure it would hurt my feelings even more now that I’d be listening for free.”

What might those complaints have been? The buzz is that as creatively brilliant and inventive as he may be, Harmon proved to much for SPTV, and those who worked under him, to handle. As one insider told New York Magazine‘s Vulture column, “Dan is a brilliant at ideas, but he’s terrible at [management].”

NBC last week renewed Community for a 13-episode fourth season, but the network banished the comedy to Fridays at 8:30/7:30 after Whitney. That said, the change in showrunners, as TV Guide Magazine reports, is likely designed to “broaden” the distinctively quirky comedy’s appeal and thus hopefully reach a wider audience.

RELATED | NBC Boss Talks Community‘s New Time Slot, Dan Harmon’s Possible Exit

Community leading man Joel McHale had been dreading the possibility of Harmon exiting, telling TVLine. “Dan’s the creator of the show, so to lose his voice would be pretty crazy…. He gave me the role of a lifetime, so it would be a very weird scenario [to continue] without him.

“I pray that it works out well,” McHale added. “That sounds weird and vague, but I really do. I literally am praying.”

Comments (153)

• this truly is the darkest timeline. :(

Comment by sara – May 18, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Gem – May 18, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not convinced this is going to be a bad thing. I love the show, I watch it religiously. But Dan Harmon leaving the show really isn’t the end of the world. It’s not the darkest timeline… it just may be a different one. One where, instead of 13 final episodes under Harmon, we might get 22 fourth season episodes, or better: #SixSeasonsAndAMovie. Don’t go falling on your swords until we see what’s really produced in the fall.

Comment by Benny – May 18, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dunno, the more distinctive the voice of the creator, the more the absence will be felt.

“Gilmore Girls” was a fun show with a very verbal, distinctive style. When the CW thought they no longer needed creator/writer Amy Sherman-Palladino and she left, the changeover was jarring. That ended up being, justifiably under the circumstances, the series’ final year.

The joy of “Community” is that every other week you enter a foreign reality. That joy is also going to limit the audience. That the series has survived as long as it has, has been no small miracle in itself.

What someone who comes from the universe of “Just Shoot Me” brings to the Imaginarium is anyone’s guess. This can’t be Harmon’s choice. Whether it’s Steve Jobs at Apple or Dan Harmon here–always hate to see someone lose their baby. The pain of losing control of something you’ve given birth to is a unique form of sadness..

Comment by filmex – May 19, 2012 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Very well said. I watched Just Shoot Me, but it wasn’t a tenth as clever as Community. This had better not be NBC siding with Chevy Chase, because I have barely been able to stand his horrible line readings since this show started.

Comment by KevyB – May 19, 2012 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. Community will not be the same without Harmon on the day to day? Just shoot me, indeed.

Comment by John Berggren – May 19, 2012 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • agreed completely. I feel that the show’s creator always has a plan for how the story will play out and writes toward a bigger picture. With a new showrunner coming in, whatever dan harmon had planned can virtually be tossed out the window. Great reference to gilmore girls, you could definitely tell the change when Amy Sherman-Palladino left

Comment by jenna – May 19, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THIS. Community’s concept episodes are what make it truly great. No other show on tv could do a chicken finger mafia, a paintball war (or two), an exploration of parallel timelines, a documentary-style pillow fort vs blanket fort war, or an 8 bit video game episode (just to name a few). “Broader appeal” likely means we will see less of this daring and creative style that we the fans so dearly love.

Comment by Brendan – May 19, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. I am STILL in mourning over Gilmore Girls. And now, this. TPTB at NBC are a dastardly, fiendish lot. I loathe them.

Comment by Lisa – May 22, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, they are replacing creative and innovative with JUST SHOOT ME – did you watch that show? Today, I am a sad panda.

Comment by e. – May 21, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, but hasn’t “NBC” and “Comcast” been evil all along?

Comment by Josh – May 19, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A once impressive legacy has definitely been tarnished.
        This move is akin to firing Mozart and keeping Salieri (Chevy Chase, who hasn’t been amusing since his age eliminated him from the physical comedy category).
        Just last week NBC ended the fine “Harry’s Law”, which had more viewers than any other drama on NBC, because it “skewed older”.
        That business model may have been apt at one point, thinking a young demo had more disposable income, but as usual network metrics seriously lag reality.
        Last I checked, half of this despised older demo that watches “Harry’s Law” (college educated grown-ups) have now taken their children back into the nest, or are supporting them in major other ways. Seriously, who has more “disposable income” at this point?
        “Girls” on HBO nails this dynamic–how elusive the American dream has become for young people, and how many now NEED some sort of assistance from their parents.
        NBC truly doesn’t know which side their bread is buttered on, neither financially or creatively.
        Chevy Chase won. Egads, what a nightmare.

Comment by filmex – May 19, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Goodbye community, it’s been nice knowing you. Because of the huge influence Dan had on the show old supporters are going to stop watching it, and because of the fact it’s already established as something of a niche comedy, it’s unlikely that new people will start watching it just because it’s changed showrunners. So my money down prediction is that this will be the last season… Shame on bad decision making… :(

Comment by Dave – May 19, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Coming soon:

“Community is filmed before a live audience.”
      “Did someone say… CHANG?” (pause as audience hoots and hollers)
      “WOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOO!” (anytime 2 people kiss)

Yeah, really lookin’ forward to this.

Comment by RockGolf (@rock_golf) – May 19, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahaha spot on. Oh how I hate those Woo’s but love your way of pointing it out.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – May 19, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay, now I want them to do ONE episode like this. Sort of like how Scrubs did the “traditional sitcom” episode.

Comment by madhatter360 – May 20, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It freaking is the darkest timeline! Community may still be good, but, I have my doubts, it’ll be as witty, funny and clever as it’s been. Dan Harmon is the heart and soul of the show!

Comment by BrittaIsTheBest – May 20, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is disheartening. just very, very sad.

Comment by emily – May 18, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahm, it’s ‘Aliens in America’, not “Angels in America”.

Comment by Bernd – May 18, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixed, thanks!

Comment by Vlada Gelman – May 18, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The darkest timeline has prevailed. :(

Comment by JoannePistonFan – May 18, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather cancellation… :(

Comment by Jack Parry – May 18, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a terrible viewpoint to have. The show is still going to be good. Dan will still be there and will still be writing, he just won’t be managing the day to day stuff.

Comment by Sg.Grant – May 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Read the Vulture article. Sony didn’t even try to negotiate with him. They just signed the new guys and will ask Harmon if he wants to help. F that

Comment by Vicente – May 18, 2012 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A consulting producer position is solely a writer position. It’s what you give writers who are high up the totem pole and it’s one step below co-executive producer. If he was off completely, he would get creative consultant as a title and end up only getting to go to table reads and people ignore his notes.

Comment by rowan77 – May 18, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ack. Sorry, that should have been an “indeed” to Vincente’s post, not rowan77′s.

Comment by juliebestry – May 19, 2012 03:33 AM PDT
          • Harmon says he wont be involved in the blog he posted this morning. If the network wants to change the show to get a wider audience it will ruin it. As far as I am concerned the show lasted three awesome seasons. Whatever airs next Fall will be some spinoff…

Comment by mst3k – May 19, 2012 08:46 AM PDT
      • Did you read the entire article above? Harmon said he can’t do any rewrites, can’t make anything other than suggestions that will more than likely fall on deaf ears.

Comment by Josh – May 19, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No he won’t be writing anything. He’s just a figurehead now. The show is going down the drain. Good reference in gilmore girls

Comment by piper – May 19, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same. You never know, maybe it will be the same but a promise to reach a broader audience sounds to me like, “Dumb it down, normalize the character, create a dumbass love triangle.”

Comment by Ari – May 19, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should have just cancelled it. This combined with moving it to Fridays after Whitney of all things will only serve to tarnish the memory of what was a great show. Leave it to NBC to do something this stupid.

Comment by AJ – May 18, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? D: Noooo

Comment by Alake M. (@AllieKMalik) – May 18, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC are idiots. This show is brilliant and doesn’t deserve this crap.

Comment by Jon – May 18, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Destined to become the next Arrested Development. Brilliance that will die too young.

Comment by AJ – May 18, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except it wasn’t NBC, it was Sony. And Dan Harmon has been an unreliable showrunner for awhile.

Comment by junec – May 18, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NBC moved it to Fridays.

Comment by Chance – May 19, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He consistently put out excellent episodes of the show, and that is the ultimate measure of a showrunner

Comment by Brendan – May 19, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why Dan Harmon?
    He crafted this show with an extremely unique view point, it is so intrinsically Dan Harmon, and now for essentially the last season he is stepping down as show runner?

Comment by sally – May 18, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not stepping down. They never offered him a deal. Hired the guys to take over. Read vulture.com for story.

Comment by Vicente – May 18, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have got to be kidding me… I was so excited when this show got one more season, but Community IS Dan Harmon I just have this really unsettling feeling that without him the show will suffer. This will be Gilmore Girls without Amy Sherman-Palladino all over again.

Comment by andrea – May 18, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the Gilmore Girls reference is the perfect one to make, the show will lose is quality without Harmon that’s just a fact.

Comment by andrew – May 18, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. Gilmore Girls started failing before she left. ASP made Rory into a complete b—- before she ever left and there was really no coming back from that. The dynamic was gone once Lorelai realized that her “best friend” style of parenting produced a monster.

Comment by Drew – May 18, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. GG went downhill after Jess left – the married Dean/Rory storyline, Lorelai/Chris’s hookup, and April’s existence all happened under ASP, if I remember correctly.

Comment by lara – May 18, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yup… Except maybe the Christopher thing. That might have been season 7.

Comment by Drew – May 18, 2012 09:45 PM PDT
          • I felt that, at least with the Christopher affair, ASP was somewhat wittingly leaving the show somewhere it couldn’t recover from out of frustration with the studio/network – I’m glad that if Harmon saw the writing on the wall with Sony he at least gave us a really satisfying conclusion to his tenure and a jumping off point for those who don’t want to see the show retooled.

Comment by Corey Pietrzak – May 18, 2012 09:52 PM PDT
          • it did go downhill but NOTHING was worse than the 7th season, it felt like a complete different show (to me at least) and I think Amy planned the Lorelai/Chris hookup as a short-term thing and not for them to actually get married! I liked season 5 just fine, season 6 was bad but not horrible you could still see the essence of the show… but by season seven I was literally like “what am I watching?” plus the series finale was painfully underwhelming and I don’t think Amy would have butchered her own show like that.

Comment by andrew – May 18, 2012 10:44 PM PDT
        • I missed the GG episodes where Rory was a “monster” but would love to see them.

What kind of meds are you on?

Comment by you are an unreliable witness to even fake tv reality – May 20, 2012 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My whole brain is crying!!
    But seriously I feel like this show is Dan Harmon’s baby and I am very sad that he will no longer be running the show.

Comment by Johnny – May 18, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aliens in America, dude. Aliens.

Comment by JD – May 18, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were not ACTUAL aliens. It was about a muslim exhange student living with a white family. Actually a very cute show.

Comment by Steven – May 19, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC guts Community. This is awful news. If I wanted George Segal and his banjo as Pierce, I would have tweeted Steve Martin for his support. This is awful, awful news.

I guess we’ll have to be satisfied that last night’s final three episodes were so wonderful.

Comment by TV Gord – May 18, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uncool Uncool Uncool.

Comment by Drew – May 18, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You managed to make me laugh despite this horrible news :D

Comment by lilys87 – May 19, 2012 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s disappointing.

Comment by Benny – May 18, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Comment by Anna Mauger (@anniestweeets) – May 18, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #sixseasonsandweloveyoudanharmon

Tweet it.

Comment by Rachel – May 18, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Dan community isn’t community.

Comment by Farrell – May 18, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This freakin’ blows.

Comment by Brian – May 18, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news really blows…

Comment by Brian – May 18, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ratings are plummeting.
    Thursday’s finale was series low.
    Bye Bye after final 13.

Comment by ByeBye – May 18, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cruel, cruel, cruel.
    Dan Harmon you put shame to our similar shared name. The captain goes down with his ship to the bitter end. All the best to David Guarascio and Moses Port.

Comment by DanHarmAn – May 18, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t blame Dan Harmom! Sony replaced him then to appease fans he was given a figurehead position. Sony and NBC are determined to cancel this show!

Comment by Lace – May 19, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People it isn’t NBC. They air the show, but do not produce. Be mad at Sony.

Comment by Steven – May 18, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC still couldn’t called Dan Harmon. They’re not good with that sorta stuff. Reminds me of Jeff Zucker/Conan/Leno fiasco.

Comment by Esaul – May 19, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to Britta Community’s renewal, idiots.

Comment by lara – May 18, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ referring to Sony/NBC, in case it wasn’t clear.

Comment by lara – May 18, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Shae – May 18, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch community but I don’t understand why he left?

Comment by ***** – May 18, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why watch now? Dan Harmon is the spirit of the show.

Way to mess it up, NBC.

Comment by danielle – May 18, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they also get rid of the characters? And then put Charlie Sheen as lead actor? Why the half measures?

Comment by GH – May 18, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community without Harmon is like The West Wing without Sorkin. F this NBC. Same for Sony. Community lost its soul

Comment by Vicente – May 18, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Dan Harmon brought this on himself…when you are a showrunner you have to not only make sure a show is good, you have to play nice and make sure the network and actors are happy….this is a guy who lead a chant to make fun of Chevy when Chevy’s wife and daughter were there and then went public with the voicemail response….Dan had a great vision early on, I think season 1 of this show was one of the best I have ever seen, but he painted himself into corners this past season with his choices and then he showed that he could not run the ship….I hope he writes more and produces less and maybe we can have some great moments on the way out the door with this show….

Comment by Michael – May 18, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, agree with everything. For his sake, and because I do love Community when it clicks, I hope he matures. But from his blog post, he’s completely playing the victim and acting like this came out of the blue. Shame.

Comment by goonies01 – May 19, 2012 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree. As showrunner, the job is to be captain of the ship and that is more than writing.

His writing has been genius, but if he can’t captain the whole ship, they need someone to do that… I just wish they had brought in a co-exec producer to pick up the slack while keeping him around for his writing talent.

Comment by Drew – May 19, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Luminosity – May 19, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, just as you say. It’s not like Dan Harmon is Joss Whedan or Bryan Fuller. I mean, what else is he famous for? Monster House and Laser Fart. I don’t think he’s the genius he thinks he is. He behaved very unprofessionally. Probably needs therapy & meds (imho). He’s not the whole show, and I hope the show continues on without him at the helm.
      But, that said, I’m glad he came up with Community, because I’ve enjoyed it despite the unevenness of the episodes.

Comment by rubytu – May 20, 2012 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no…NBC…you Britta’d it…

Comment by Yvonne – May 18, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a shame, this news. But if he stays involved in some form or another with the show, that will be something good of note. I’ll try and reserve my worry and concern until the fourth season starts and we see how the show fares with all these changes.

Comment by Angela – May 18, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan Harmon or Bust!

Comment by asdfjkl; – May 18, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did he ever write the show? I feel like as long as they have the same writers they will be fine. Honestly, I love both Just Shoot Me and Aliens in America (which should not have been cancelled after one season!) and I’m interested to see what will happen with Community. I really don’t think they’ll change it that much…

Comment by Babybop – May 18, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • None of the original writers will remain and yes he did in fact write the show. He had creative input into every single episode. Showrunners don’t usually get writing credits.

Comment by Anne Ansible – May 19, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Where did you even hear that? Changing show runners doesn’t fire an entire writing staff. Read all the articles and get your facts straight!

Comment by Gem – May 19, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually 2 of the writer’s have announced that they will not be returning for a fourth season.

Comment by liddad – May 19, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly! Thank you. Not everyone!

Comment by Gem – May 19, 2012 10:21 AM PDT
          • Actually I’ve been hearing a good portion of the staff is leaving-Chris McKenna, Anthony & Joe Russo, Garrett Donovan, Neil Goldmanm, and Dino Stamatopoulos (aka Star-Burns)…

That has me a bit more concerned. If it’d been just Harmon, chalk it up perhaps to creative differences-he’s got a very unique vision for the show, yes, but the others who worked there could’ve continued to see his ideas through, since they’d worked with him for varying lengths of time the last three years. But to lose THAT many people at once…kind of drastic and worrying.

I’ll still watch next year, because I love this show and I tend to be a loyal person when it comes to shows I like. I’m not going to automatically assume next year will be ruined because of all this. Sometimes big overhauls happen on shows and they still manage to do just fine. And the new people coming in do have some good credentials based on what I’ve heard about their work, and we’ve still got the central cast, and I know they have their own odd sensibilities that they’ll bring to every show they do. I’ve no doubt the cast will do its best to keep the show’s central spirit going no matter what. Plus, after all the begging and hoping I did about bringing the show back during its hiatus, I’ll be damned if I’m giving up on it now.

But losing so many people like this is still very sad to hear about. I wish them well in their future endeavors, but the fans will miss you guys, no question.

Comment by Angela – May 19, 2012 08:34 PM PDT
        • No, but some of the writers were already leaving before this happened and now some of the other ones are leaving. At least four writers are gone along with Dan Harmon. And the Russo brothers who have directed a lot of the episodes aren’t returning.

Comment by Christina – May 19, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sucks. But we don’t have any choice. He’s stil a consulting producer anyway so… not bad!

Comment by Mark P – May 18, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as the new guys are willing to spank Britta (and maybe Annie, too) on-screen like Harmon, I don’t see a terrible change.

Comment by Mike – May 18, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #sixseasonsandamovieanddanharmon
    Gonna miss Dan’s dedication and love for the characters he created. I know that he probably wasn’t the best showrunner in technical terms, but he lived and breathed Community. Without him, we NEVER would have gotten episodes like Dungeons & Dragons or Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas, and that’s a fact. In both instances he spent personal time and money for the episodes and it showed. I’ll always stick around for more Community, but this is just sad news.

Comment by Tim – May 18, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. While I’m really sad that we probably won’t get any more fantastically inventive episodes like the D&D or paintball episodes, I do remember Aliens In America was pretty funny show and I enjoy Happy Endings as well. I think the show will still be funny, just not as oddly creative. I really do hope Harmon stays on in some capacity; this show will always be his and could use his voice. But I would understand if he decides to walk away, given the treatment he received from Sony. Regardless, I will continue to watch Community and any other show Dan Harmon is involved in – he has created a fan for life!

Comment by big cheddar – May 19, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I think the show will still be funny, just not as oddly creative.”
        – But oddly creative IS the point of the show! It was what separated it from all the other comedies on tv. Just look at the themed episodes. It was original! I’m not saying the show is going to suck, it’s just not going to be the same.. (and that does in fact suck!)

Comment by Sina – May 19, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well said. Take away the odd creativity and it’s just your every day half hour comedy. Not going to be the same at all.

Comment by tripoli – May 19, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know who to be mad at, but i feel like i have to punch someone in the face right now. TV isn’t life, but laughter is, and Community made me cry with laughter. F**K you, everyone who didn’t watch this show and made it die like this. F**K you!

Comment by Danny – May 18, 2012 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • :) i’m on board with the anger.

Comment by noa – May 19, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • am i the only one who doesn’t think this is a huge deal?

this is harmon’s own fault. if he had acted more professionally, none of this would have happened.

the show will continue without him and it will be just as good.

Comment by Mandy – May 19, 2012 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It isn’t just Harmon that left.. 3 of the creative producers/co-showrunners/writers left as well (and Harmon had most of the ideas for the themed/epic episodes). So no, it’s not going to be just as good.

Comment by Sina – May 19, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, I agree with you.

Comment by rubytu – May 20, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I have faith that the show can continue on and be really good.

Comment by Babybop – May 20, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Check Dan’s latest post on tumblr. Community as we know it IS over. That’s a fact.

Comment by Heni – May 19, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Community, but the Dan Harmon model – where you have public spats with your stars and where the production of the show is chaotic – is not sustainable. Especially not when you’re pulling a 1.3…

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be an arsehole to create brilliant, adventurous TV that gets renewed despite cellar ratings. See: Fringe

Comment by Kaa – May 19, 2012 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. To me Dan Harmon comes off as a spoiled, entitled brat that thinks he’s the best thing that TV ever saw. And while he is pretty genius at inventing awesome storylines, he’s clearly very poor at managing his actors and crew, which is part of being a showrunner.

I feel bad for Community fans, but not for Dan Harmon.

Comment by Abby – May 19, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very disappointing. I don’t know if DH wanted to do this to focus on other projects, or if NBC made it happen because of the behind the scene drama with Chevy Chase. Either was, it is a bummer. I hope the show doesn’t change.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 19, 2012 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooo!

Comment by Sarabi – May 19, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • firing dan harmon may be a bad decision from a creative point of view. on the other side – when you read his ‘musings’ on tumblr he comes across like a bitter, whiny nerd. newsflash, you don’t insult a man in front of his wife and children, no matter if its chevy chase, charlie sheen or joey mchale. if ‘community’ gets the boot next year after 13 episodes, it won’t be because of the new showrunners or a dark timeline.
    dan harmon brought it on himself.

Comment by stevie – May 19, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His name is Joel not Joey. As for Dan coming off as whiny I disagree. He is setting the record straight and letting fans know what’s going on.

Comment by L – May 20, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Community 2009-2012.

Comment by Oliver – May 19, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #3seasonsandafiring

Comment by mfarrance – May 19, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awful news. No wonder the last episode seemed framed as a series finale.

Comment by John Berggren – May 19, 2012 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #cruelcruelcruel

Comment by John Berggren – May 19, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate NBC. They’ve Britta’d things concerning Community ALL THE TIME. I hate them. They are the opposite of Batman. Dan Harmon is the single MOST important aspect of Community..the show would lost its heart and soul without him!

Comment by Raksha – May 19, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan Harmon is trending on twitter right now! And how I loath Sony at the moment! Dan was the soul of the show!!

Comment by Sina – May 19, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harmon gives his viewpoint…
    danharmon . tumblr . com/post/23339272200/hey-did-i-miss-anything