Penultimate Revenge Recap: Sammy and Me

Revenge Season 1 Episode 21Friends, we’ve gathered today to say good-bye to one of Revenge’s most beloved characters. Sadly, Sammy — Jack’s almost-immortal yellow lab — finally has gone to that great dog park in the sky. Some other important developments happened, too, particularly regarding the white-haired man and his role in Emily’s father’s death. But seriously? I had a hard time focusing on anything except Sammy’s sad demise. So grab some Kleenex and please try to keep your wailing and sniffling down as we review the major events of “Grief.”

True colors | After Daniel’s family-loyal, truth-absent interview a few weeks ago, Emily found it difficult to be loving toward her privileged fiancée. It didn’t help when, via hidden camera, she watched him and Conrad plot to offer Jack hush money ($1 million) regarding Tyler’s murder and discuss using Daniel and Em’s wedding to redeem Grayson Global’s public image. But maybe Dan’s not quite as bad as we think — he referenced his dad’s promise of “100 percent transparency from here on out;” perhaps the younger Grayson thinks he’s actually working toward a positive outcome. Exit Daniel, enter the white-haired man, who was deaf to Conrad’s assurances that he had everything under control. WHM threatened the Grayson family as he told Conrad, “I’m afraid your word isn’t going to satisfy The Initiative.” (If anyone approaches you with a violence-inhibiting computer chip, Conrad, run like heck.) With Nolan’s help, Emily made it so Conrad demanded another meeting with WHM — and the techno whiz was such a good friend that he tailed the snowy assailant when Ashley’s wedding pitch session detained the bride-to-be. But Daniel, fed up with Em’s insistence that she didn’t want a huge wedding — and her incessant texting with Nolan — stormed out of the meeting, and Ashley wasn’t much happier. “Please don’t say you’re sorry when you clearly are not,” the event planner told her onetime friend. Ouch, and mrow! I love this cattier Ashley. With those two gone, Emily donned her black hoodie and grabbed some weapons before heading to WHM’s house, but at the address Nolan sent her, she found only Carole Miller, warning her away from letting revenge consume her. Ms. Thorne was ripped that Nolan had tricked her, but she later learned he’d posed as Burt the Cable Guy to wire WHM’s house for surveillance. Regarding this scene: 1) WHEN am I going to learn that this show is the master of scenic sleight of hand? Just when I was sure that Emily was at WHM’s abode, Nolan-as-Burt turned out to be there — a la Daniel when Lee committed suicide in the prison. 2) Nolan awkwardly trying to play a regular guy is pure comedy. 3) All of the wind-up clocks in WHM’s place are creepy. And who was on the other end of the line when he mysteriously said, “They’re onto us?” It’s also important to note that Emily told Carole her mother had been sick for most of her childhood, and then she’d died. Maybe Mrs. Clarke will pull an Irina Derevko and show up as the head of The Initiative?

Really old yeller | Emily’s anger dissipated when she returned home to find Sammy dying on her porch. A call brought Jack running, and the pair sat in front of the fire with the ailing pooch as he shuffled off this mortal coil. Even if you’re not a dog lover, I defy you to watch stone-faced as Jack thanked Sammy for being such a good friend. Nick Wechsler went for it in that scene, guys, and with Emily crying and holding Jack’s hand and stroking Sammy’s muzzle, it was only a matter of time before the mourners were kissing. Too bad Ashley saw the clinch from the porch; I’m sure she’ll keep it to herself, right? After Emily and Jack buried Sammy on the beach, Jack asked his longtime love what they were going to do, and she said she didn’t know. This throws a wrench in the cold-as-steel thing you’ve got going on, doesn’t it, Em?

If you want a job done right | When the Securities and Exchange Commission had trouble finding evidence of Grayson Global’s wrongdoing, Victoria decided to do it herself. At their New York apartment, she barely had time to trade barbs with her nearly ex-husband (Her: “You look good, Conrad.” Him: “And you look like a demonic succubus.”) before Lydia appeared wearing a slinky bathrobe and a smug smile. But a determined Victoria later returned to offer her husband’s lover immunity if she’d help take Conrad down. Even better, after noting that Conrad moved the fake de Kooning painting that had brought them together, Queen Vic sliced the canvas open and found Conrad’s own stash— the pile of incriminating money and other evidence he’d earlier used to threaten the WHM — hidden within the frame. The note she left, “Once a fraud, always a fraud,” incensed Conrad so much he crashed Charlotte’s family therapy session and threatened to end Victoria. At least he did it using “I” statements. The Graysons’ super dysfunctional ways sent Charlie running to Declan’s, where she apologized for yanking his scholarship and asked if she could stay the night. But when she realized that her ex was already entertaining his new study buddy, Jaime from Yonkers, Charlotte turned nasty once more and fled to meet a dealer and buy a ginormous bag of drugs. Meanwhile, back at the Grayson estate, Victoria caved to Daniel’s ultimatum that she leave Conrad alone. As Emily listened via bug, Victoria handed Daniel the bag she took from the de Kooning… and he didn’t even make sure his mom was out of earshot before calling his dad to say Victoria had “folded” and he had the evidence in his briefcase. On the phone at her house, a bemused Emily listened to Nolan brag about his spying prowess at WHM’s house. “You’d have been proud,” he said. “I am proud,” she replied. “You’re a good friend.” Aw. After they hung up, Daniel came home and they made nice, Emily eying his briefcase all the while. And at his place, Nolan watched WHM wind the clocks. Just when he realized that the video had been looped — has he not seen Ocean’s Eleven? — WHM grabbed him from behind and started choking him. Looks like the gig’s up, Burt.

Now, it’s your turn. Did you love the brief moment when Jack and Nolan acknowledged Emily’s hold on them? Did the Grayson family therapy session, complete with Daniel’s not-again! face, make you laugh? And what do you think will happen in next week’s season finale? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. nikki says:

Dear God. Just when I thought I couldn’t hate those Porter brothers anymore and the writers gift us with this episode.

Poor Sammy

Victoria, Conrad and Lydia should just have that threesome.

• greysfan says:

LOL at the threesome but you are right they should. Poor Sammy. It was coming though. I guess we now know who has them locked in the basement.

2. bex says:

OMFG. That is all.

3. MJ says:

The episode was touching. I am scared for Nolan and the gray haired man. They really underestimated him. I wish she would follow her heart and be with Jack.

• Dawn says:

Me too, I’m hoping she sticks it to Daniel. Also hoping Nolan isn’t dead,

• Lo says:

Honestly, I hope Emily ends up with no one… the only romance I care about is Nolan and Jack’s “bromance”. Those two are so much fun to watch whether they’re getting along or sniping at each other. Don’t break them up!!

4. Carda says:

do people like Nolan (especially after the Tyler debacle) really do not have any sort of security system installed to their homes??? o_O
    it was so obvious that whity would get him before the episode was over!

• is it obvious enough that, maybe, just maybe, Nolan and Emily saw it coming and the attack on Nolan could end up being a double cross and Emily is waiting behind WHM to stun him or something so they can question him?

• not double cross, that’s the wrong term, but you know what I mean.

• Tracy says:

bait and switch, i think?

• Nolan is certainly bait for WHM. The switch would be on the audience if it turns out to be a trap for him.

See, if it’s not a trap, then odds are that WHM would kill Nolan, and I for one doubt that would happen. If there is no one else in the house ,then Nolan is done for. There’s no way he can get away from a trained assassin, not unless he manages to break his grip on him and run into a panic room or something.

• Irishgirl says:

I would love it if that was the case, but it seemed too short a window for that to happen. I was wondering too where the hell Nolan’s security team was. Did he seriously get rid of them after Tyler died? Considering everything he has to protect (Em, his Aunt, even the Porter brothers) you’d think he’d have some kind of security. Also, for someone who can hack into just about anyone’s system, and send shadowed emails, why wasn’t he able to tell the feed had been tampered with before seeing the Groundhog day clock winding?

I’m also wondering if Daniel has the real hard drive and money or if Victoria suspected that he was playing her on Conrad’s orders and gave him bogus stuff. There was a moment where it seemed that Daniel was contemplating not giving the box back to this dad. Then again, maybe that’s me hoping that he’s not as big of a douche idiot as he’s appearing to be. It seems too easy that Emily will be able to get her hands on all the evidence that her father was innocent so soon, so I’m thinking Nolan’s attack will interfere with her getting that box from Daniel’s briefcase…….or the WHM breaks in and takes it while they are sleeping. On another note, I’m glad Declan made a friend….really, have that kid hang out with the Yonkers girl more. And Charlotte’s big bag o pills was just meh…..I’m rather tired of her storyline. Let her find out that Emily is her sister and have the two of them plot to end Victoria and Conrad.

5. Ana says:

I’m pretty sure that Amanda was listening to the conversation between Daniel and his dad, not watching. I think this was easily my favorite episode so far. Sammy had me in tears. Literally. I just wanted to hug my own pet in appreciation. Daniel’s shenanigans have turned me into a bonafide Jack fan. I hope it works out with him instead of Daniel. I also hope that Amanda can let her sister know who she is in S2.

• Kristoffer says:

Same here with the Sammy part. Anyone who has ever lost a pet knows what that’s like. I have a pet now that has cancer and it’s killing me having to make the decision of putting one of my best friends of 15 years down or continuing to take care of him and hoping he is not hurting. I would have bawled like a little girl anyway – but actually dealing with losing a pet made the episode even worse.

• bibi says:

my dog was already in bed and i got him out just to hug him…. and he actually slept with me… so sad..

6. Leah says:

How anyone can be an Emily/Daniel fan is beyond me. He’s a jerk. (understatement made as to not break the “no profanity” rule.) Very ready for the season finale.

• Flora says:

Amen, Leah! Amen.

• Sam says:

Seriously! I have disliked him since the pilot. Kinda wish he was the one to die instead of Tyler.

• DL says:

I used to be on the Emily/Daniel bandwagon, but since he jumped on-board the good ship Grayson Global I’ve swiftly grown to dislike him. I’m still holding out hope that he’ll turn out to have something up his sleeve to take down his evil dad, but it sure doesn’t look that way.

• Sam says:

I’m on the fence about Daniel right now, partly b/c I keep hoping the writers are pulling a fast one on us. Daniel/Emily were so cute together but him protecting Grayson Global is making me hate him.

7. Jess says:

Nolan!!! OH NO!!! Can’t wait for next episode but part of me doesn’t want it to come because afterwards, it’s 4 months before Revenge returns!!! *CRY*

8. Elyse says:

NOOO NOLAN!

9. Kristen says:

I thought that was the best episode yet! I even let out a loud shriek at the end – my husband rushed in to see what was wrong! Man I hope they don’t kill Nolan – he’s my favorite part.

10. Amanda says:

1. LOVE the Irina Derevko reference :) have to wonder if she will show up alive and well… that would be a fun twist. 2. TEARS over Samny- they did an amazing job on that. 3. Poor Nolan. I’m going to figure he stays alive, but that white haired man uses him as bait so that he can get to Emily.

11. Ashley says:

Beautiful acting on what losing a pet would really be like! Pets are such a big part of our lives and they often get ignored on dramatic television shows!

• Deb says:

It was a touching scene with Sammy but I thought Greys did it better with Meredith, Derek and Doc. I thought this was the season finale of Revenge so very happy that there is one more episode next week.

12. davey says:

What happen to Nolan’s bodyguard?

13. Patricia says:

This was a really good episode especially after that boring one last week. I love the evil Daniel and Emily scenes she hates him so much her looks could kill. I knew something was gonna happen with the white hair man, I like Nolan even after Tyler but for a guy like him you’d think he would have an impeccable security system and where was his body guard? Loved the episode but the Sammy scene was too long.

14. Spencer says:

I swear to goodness, if Nolan dies in the Season Finale….. Otherwise, an amazing episode!!!

15. Russ says:

Ugh, seriously TVline? You guys are usually pretty good at not posting spoilers in the headline and/or article thumbnail, but apparently you guys just didn’t care when posting this article. Please be more considerate to those that haven’t gotten a chance to watch the episode yet and that don’t want everything spoiled before they watch.

• Kristen says:

Sammy dying was posted A LONG time ago. Not new news….

• NCSouthernBelle says:

It’s an episode recap; did you really not think spoilers would be included?

• tripoli says:

Perhaps you shouldn’t have read a recap of the episode then. The article title gives nothing away. Take some responsibility for being spoiled. No one forced you to read the article.

• Kristoffer says:

Once a show has aired it fair game in my opinion. Do you expect tvline and other sites to wait until they have cleared it with everyone that they have actually watched a show before posting a recap??? If you haven’t watched the episode yet then DON’T read a RECAP.

• Stephen says:

Hello people — He didn’t read the recap. He did like me — scan the first few lines of every story in chrono order. It gives away the spoiler before you even know what the article is even about. Seriously TVLine — Don’t put spoilers in the articles before the click to see the main article like TV Squad did!!

16. I’m pretty sure Lydia was wearing a bathrobe, not a bathroom. ;) And I really hope Nolan’s not dead; he’s my favorite!

17. Jo says:

Such a great episode! Summer is going to be very hard.

18. Sandrine says:

That kiss was epic!!! I was shouting with joy when it happened.

19. mama says:

My big fluffy dog is 18 years old and yes, I cried over Sammy. But I am soooo worried about Nolan.

20. Shaun says:

Nolan is such a moron,after bungling that OP he should have hired an army of Navy Seals to protect him,but before that make sure he wasn’t being tailed.

21. Em says:

Can’t believe no one else caught this, but Lydia showed up “wearing a slinky bathroom”?

22. Mikael says:

I really can’t stand Ashley. Did they ever give an explanation for how she went from being friends with Emily to being such a B to her? The only character more annoying than Ashley is Declan and his bad accent. Other than those two, the show is as addictive as ever! Victoria is one of the best characters you love to hate!

• Kristen says:

I enjoy Declan. I’m over the pill-popping drama. I think Victoria is a terrible actress. I find her very cheesy.

• Flora says:

“Did they ever give an explanation for how she went from being friends with Emily to being such a B to her?”

Did you completely miss the fact that Ashley and Tyler were an item and Tyler and Emily weren’t exactly cordial to each other, even before the whole “pull the gun at the birthday party trick”?

• Sam says:

I agree! I also cannot stand Charlotte.

• DL says:

It’s not surprising considering Emily hasn’t been a particularly good friend to Ashley either. I find it understandable that the snarky Brit has turned on her former BFF.

That said, I’d be perfectly cool with seeing Ashley, Charlotte, or Declan killed off in the finale. I could see that fate befalling Nolan or Conrad as well, which would make me sad, because Nolan I love, and Conrad I love to hate. Obviously Emily and Victoria will survive, and I would be extremely surprised if Jack was in jeopardy. Other potential cannon fodder could be a returning Takeda, or Faux-manda, who I’d be happy to see get taken out.

23. curly says:

I don’t know if something is wrong with me, but I just don’t feel anything for Jack with Emily..their scene with Sammy didn’t make me love him anymore either. I only really felt true emotion when Emily was digging the grave and when I was worried Nolan would get caught and then when he did get caught. I feel more of a connection to Nolan and concerned he will be killed…Jack is just sorta there for me and I am okay with him continuing to not know who Emily really is…I am disappointed in Daniel, so hoping he was pulling a scam on his parents, but its not looking good.

24. looksgood says:

I love Jack & Nolan. Daniel..eh whateva..

25. Akara says:

PLEASE not Nolan!!!!!!! To me he makes the show! Without a doubt he’s the most interesting character on this show!!!!!

• curly says:

You are so right, they can’t kill him off, then the show would lose a huge part of why its fun to watch. If you have to kill a character, take Declan, few will miss him.

26. gabe says:

When do we start Sammy’s Emmy campaign??

27. SoFla says:

Agreed. Excellent episode but if anything happens to Nolan I am out. He is my favorite part of the show – which must burn the writers / those in charge since the show is supposed to be Emily, right?

• tripoli says:

I’m sure they’re just fine with that. You’re watching now, that’s all they care about. And it’s rather petty to stop watching an ensemble show if one character gets the ax.

28. Flora says:

Please tell me that Nolan isn’t the “big death” that Ausiello has been hinting at for months now. (I have been under the assumption it was going to be Hank or Juliette on Grimm until last night’s Revenge.) Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

• Flora says:

Now that I’ve thought about it some more, if GHM wanted to kill Nolan, he’d have shot him with that big honkin’ gun we saw him with earlier. For some reason, I think whatever GHM wants to do with Nolan now will be far worse than death.

• Kristoffer says:

I could be wrong – but I think it was a stun gun/taser. I have a feeling it might get used some in the next episode.

29. Lynne says:

Sammy dying hit me the most. Partly because I had just finish watching the Criminal Minds finale and all the drama that was in that, but even more so because I have had 2dogs die in my 25years and a third is slowly on his way out as well (doesnt help he looks alot like Sammy too). But aminal lover or not, you have to be Hitler if you didnt overcome with tears when Jack was saying goodbye to Sammy on the floor. Definitely his best scene all season. I avoid spoilers at all costs so that came completely out of nowhere for me, although it seems logical cuz Sammy had to be around 12-15years old by my math.
    The WHM attacking Nolan was a shock. I agree with the rest of you, where is his security team????? Dude you are worth BILLIONS!!!!!!!!! AND you were already attacked by a psychopath!!!!!!! Amp up the protection Nolan! It will be interesting to see how he gets out of this one. I dont recall Nolan being much of a fighter, thats always been Emily’s deal. And she doesnt know its going on cuz her focus is all on Daniel’s suitcase and what Victoria got from Conrad.
    Cant wait for the finale and so happy it will be back for season 2!!!

30. Maryam says:

I swear who ever did not cry there eyes out when Jack said his goodbye to Sammy isn’t human. I was a mess when Jack started thanking Sammy for being such a good friend. The kiss was epic and Nolan better not be dead. DO NOT TOUCH NOLAN!!!!!!!!

31. Ellie says:

I so hate Jack. He’s a big, whiny wuss-ball, and really not that intelligent. I felt bad about Sammy, but seriously? Having them kiss? I thought that the showrunner or someone else said that Jack and Emily wouldn’t kiss until Jack knew who he was really kissing. Blehck.

But the problem is that I dislike Daniel too. He’s such a yuppie, self-entitled brat. And judging by Victoria’s eye-roll when she heard Daniel’s call to Conrad, I’m banking on either the evidence being fake or copied, or maybe she’d steal it back. It really made me wish that Emily could team up with Victoria to accomplish her goal of taking down Conrad. But that’s not going to happen…

I hope Emily doesn’t end up with either of them; they’re that awful.

I also hate Ashley. She’s like the Ellis [Smash] of the Hamptons.

If they kill Nolan, I’m out. The dynamics between him and Emily are the reason I keep watching. That and the take-downs. And Victoria is kind of awesome.

32. T. says:

Emmy nod for Sammy!

33. richard says:

They weren’t particularly subtle about Sammy’s death. I mean, did anyone not know who’d wind up in that grave the second the cut to the poor, 5,000,000-year-old pooch on the floor? I actually had this weird feeling that not only would Sammy die, but we’d find out that someone poisoned him. What can I say? I’m a longtime soap viewer who expects everything to be complicated. And I can not tell a lie: Despite knowing it couldn’t possibly be the case, I couldn’t help hoping that the grave was being dug for Declan (aka he of the disappearing-after-episode-9-Bronx-accent). And Charlotte.

34. Marcos Rezk says:

I was really surprised with Sammy’s acting, I mean how do they make a dog do that?
    Emily should die at the end, after having her revenge.

35. Lauren says:

I remember when Doc died on Grey’s Anatomy, the day I watched it was the day my dog died. We had had her since I was two years old, and I think I was about eighteen when she died. I bawled for a good few hours after I watched that episode. Lexie’s death doesn’t even come close.
    But I think I was a bit distracted in Revenge because just as I was starting to cry they kissed and it was replaced with happiness.

36. Mary says:

Just watched this episode last night in Ireland.
    Sammy dying was horrendous – as a dog owner of a 12 year old King Charles that is just too close to the bone for me, so I can’t comment beyond that on this aspect because I am totally irrational on the subject of dogs.
    I watched most of the programme through my fingers because Nolan was in obvious jeopardy. There is a reason he is so central to the action and that is because his character is the true moral code of the storyline – as Declan says, he has a heart as big as his chequebook. I aactually thought he had died at the end of the episode and only came on here to see if there was any possibility he might have survived. Strangely, he is the only character in current tv drama with which I have truly connected – the whole decent vulnerable human being who just wants to help his friends and be loved. I don’t think the show could survive his passing so I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Finale.
    Excelllent show, though – full of froth of course but the writing and acting if first class.
    Nolan for President!!!