Grey's Anatomy Boss Opens Up About Finale's Two Big Exits: 'It Made Me Sick, It Made Me Sad'

Grey's Anatomy Season 8 FinaleYou. Were. Warned.

Early Thursday, Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes issued the following alert to fans via Twitter: “Do not expect to be comforted or happy at end of the GA finale. I wrote it and even I found the ending to be very unsettling.”

She wasn’t kidding.

Although we’ve known for weeks that a Seattle Grace vet would meet an untimely end in this week’s plane crash-themed season climax, the death still packed a wallop — mostly because it came so early in the hour (defying finale convention). And, more importantly, because the character’s last name is in the title of the freakin’ show!

Yep, Rhimes went and killed Lexie!

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Truth is, Little Grey, played for five seasons by Chyler Leigh, didn’t stand a chance. Trapped beneath the wrecked fuselage, she was barely able to say a final goodbye to despondent ex Mark before she slipped away in the episode’s first 20 minutes. The death triggered a meltdown in sister Meredith (Ellen Pompeo really brought it, huh?) while Mark (an equally impressive Eric Dane) completely shut down. We would later discover that McSteamy was battling more than just a broken heart — he suffered something called a “cardiac tamponade,” as Cristina quickly diagnosed. She and Mer then performed some eww-inducing emergency surgery and saved his life. (Arizona and Derek also sustained serious injuries but, thankfully, survived.)

Meanwhile, back at Seattle Grace, Teddy nixed that Metcom offer and decided to remain at the hospital because she wanted to stay close to her dead husband’s ghost. And out of loyalty to Owen, who then turned around and fired her as a way to force her to take the job. (So long, Kim Raver!) Her exit would seem to pave the way for Cristina to become Seattle Grace’s new Cardio God.

UPDATE: After the West Coast airing, here is what Rhimes shared on Twitter about writing out Leigh and Raver:

Callie said it best tonight: Life changes in an instant. Turns on a dime.

This finale was incredibly hard to write. I did not enjoy it. It made me sick and it made me sad. We end the season not knowing ANYTHING about the future. Except for two things. We know we are definitely saying goodbye to two of my favorite people: Chyler Leigh (Lexie) and Kim Raver (Teddy).

I know this season’s finale had some surprises for viewers and the exit of Kim Raver was one of the big ones. But Kim’s series option was up and she was ready to give Teddy Altman a much-needed vacation. It’s been a pleasure working with someone as talented and funny and kind as Kim; everyone is going to miss her terribly. I like to imagine that Teddy is still out there in the Grey’s Anatomy universe, running Army Medical Command and building a new life.

I love Chyler and I love the character of Lexie Grey. She was an important member of my Grey’s family. This was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end. As far as I’m concerned Chyler will always remain a part of the Shondaland family and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future.

I’d write more but I’m honestly too sad. I don’t like life changing in an instant and turning on a dime.

Elsewhere in the finale:

* Jackson decided to take the Tulane job, leaving best friend and lover April to mourn what could’ve been. (Sorry, no way Jesse Williams is leaving.)

* Bailey and Ben officially got engaged in one of the episode’s rare happy moments.

* Alex revealed in a voicemail to Arizona that he was accepting the position at Johns Hopkins. (Sorry, no way Justin Chambers is leaving.)

Reaction? Were you blindsided by the big death? When Lexie took her last breath, did you immediately flash back to this TVLine story from last fall and wonder if there was a connection? Which performance were you most impressed by? How long do you think Mer, Der, Cristina, Arizona and Mark will remain stranded in the middle of nowhere? Hit the comments!

Watch More TVLine Videos!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. figuerooni@gmail.com says:

The only thing Shonda Rhimes is good at is making stupid decisions. Katherine Heigl left willingly as did T.R Knight so yeah definitely kill of the one person who I could finally tolerate.

2. Adrijana says:

I really hope that this plane crash is some sort of a dream and that Lexie comes back. Her and Mark just have to be together. Just kill him off too.

3. John DeMayo says:

Anyone notice that Arizona was coughing up blood? That’s definitely not good — and could very well be foreshadowing of her death next season. Or at least that she’s pretty seriously injured.

4. Kristy says:

Look at the amazing reaction you got from all your fans. Bad or good they WILL be back no matter what they bicker about or how hurt they are. The finale was great, you all did a good job and i hope Lexi can.enjoy her real life and.kids now. Can’t wait for September!

5. A says:

I’ve always loved Grey’s but that was by far the WORST, MOST HEARTBREAKING FINALE EVER! I can’t believe Lexie died. I’m so sad right now. Meredith has suffered enough. we all suffered enough with the deaths on this show. Denny, George, Henry, and now Lexie. Why do I even watch. I feel like she’s gonna kill somebody off next season :(

• Marii says:

The underlying theme of this show is that Meredith Grey will ALWAYS suffer in one way or another emotionally. It’s been her entire life. IT IS GREYS ANATOMY! Shonda kept with the fundamentals of the show from the beginning. Meredith would not be Mer if she didnt have some struggle or mountain to overcome. .And to be honest, I LOVE this show but Meredith’s character was getting a bit stale; no head shrink anymore, happy with baby plus hubby, etc etc….It was TIME to shake things up again and Shonda did JUST that!!

LOVE LOVE it!

6. Ashley says:

So Meredith is already leaving in the near future…how the he’ll could you just kill Lexie. You can’t have GREY’S anatomy without either Grey. Blah I was too busy to watch the entire season I used to make it a priority but now if I don’t have time I don’t bother to watch the missed episode. This is exactly why it stopped being my addiction.

7. ME says:

Yeah I wouldn’t really count Denny seeing as he wasn’t a series regular lol. George is the only original that has died so far. Lexie is not an original but more so a well not sure what you’d consider her? …supporting I suppose

• tripoli says:

All the more reason for them to kill off an “original”. That would have had some real shock and ramifications later on.

8. Esa says:

this is so devastating! i loved the mark&lexie story. why did they do that? i mean if chyler leigh wanted to leave, it’s kind of okay.
    mark and lexie were a great couple, i don’t think julia can be the new lexie, or can there be a new lexie?

9. jasmine says:

Wow! !! I just sat here and read everyone’s comments about how they are never watching the show again because Lexie dies…. how dumb is that??? I mean really? I do agree with the fact that Lexie was an awesome character and I wanted to see her and Mark reunite. But like they said life can change in an instant and turn on a dime. Real life doesn’t always have happy fairy tale endings. Mark looses the love of his life but that will make him a stronger person in the show. Mer and Der are both still after all these years learning about eachother and what it is to be a family. Alex is finally realizing he doesnt have to be an ass all the time and dispute what he has gone through in his life Arizona believed in him and saw him for he really is. Christina is learning people make mistakes and learn from them so maybe she should learn to have a heart and not just operate. On them. Callie has fought for what she believes in and that is life and happiness. Teddy is learning to be at peace with her husbands death and see life goes on and her husband would have wanted her to be happy. As sad as lexies death was and how I think it was too soon to kill her the finale was not about killing her it is about life, and nothing in this life is guaranteed to u except death. So live every day as your last be happy today cause tomorrow that could be all gone. SSSSOOOOOOO everyone complaining. GET THE BIGGER MESSAGE FROM THIS SEASON FINALE ” LIFE CAN CHANGE IN AN INSTANT.

• Kaity says:

Life can change in an instant, for example I used to watch this show…until the instance Lexie died. It’s not “dumb”, TV is not real life and as a result we don’t expect everything to be completely real. If we did, we’d watch reality TV or a documentary. People were attached to this show and, if they are like me, are not just upset with the death of a beloved character but the insanity of Shonda’s writing for dramatics. If this was an accurate portrayal of “real life” so many catastrophes wouldn’t happen to the same people, so don’t even try to compare it.

• Tanru says:

it is VERY DUMB to quit a show because a character died. She wasn’t even in most of the episodes, not in any way that mattered anyway, this whole season. If you watched only because of Lexie or Lexie and Mark that seems like it was a colossal waste of your time and it’s probably for the best you quite watching.

10. Kaity says:

Shonda is an idiot. She said it was hard to write and even upset her, that should have been a VERY OBVIOUS sign that it wasn’t meant to be and shouldn’t have been written. As a fellow writer, sometimes you just have to know when to trash something. It’s hard to toss anything you’ve written but sometimes it’s necessary. This was such a case. Loved Lexie. Hate Shonda and now hate the show. Thanks for ruining it for me.

11. ME says:

Mark doesn’t need to go anywhere or die. What he needs to do is become McSteamy again because I have missed him. Where is the McSteamy I loved? … He disappeared. I hope he isn’t all sad and crap in s9 ugh

• He’ll never be McSteamy again. He lost the love of his life. That’s for sure.

• ME says:

He stop being McSteamy the moment Shonda decided it was a good idea to do Slexie you mean. look I know they have their fans but I am not one of them okay? and He hasn’t been McSteamy to me in a very long time so I will welcome him back if she writes it correctly

12. Patti says:

So we can think teddy is out there and alive but lexie’s journey had to be death and not just leaving.

13. mick says:

metcom = Med Com, Army Medical Command; lets be sure to get these nuances correct when it comes to our military as they rarely get the credit they deserve.

14. Billie says:

I think the biggest shocker was that Teddy left too. If I could have had my way, I would have killed Teddy and had Lexie just leave for some reason, because at least then there’s hope for Chyler Leigh to show up in the series finale and run away with Mark or whatever. But I’m mostly just glad AZ survived the finale. And everyone who hates Shonda and hates the show now, you have 4 months to come to terms with it. 90% of you will be tuned in come September.

15. Kiana says:

I am sooo pissed that Lexie died i literally stopped watching when she died because I did not care about the rest of the show. All season they had Lexie battling her feelings for Mark and when he finally admits to still loving her she is dying. Really? This finale just pissed me off I really dont think I will be watching next season unless by some miracle lexie comes back.

16. alexis says:

Omg if you killed off Lexie why couldnt Mark just go with her I cant watch the show with one and not the other I just cant sorry.

17. Misty says:

I am heart broken, Lexie was one of my favorite. I don’t know if I want to continue watching Greys… I agree with most of the postings , I’m so dissapointed.. What were you thinking Shonda???

18. Sarah says:

I think no matter who died, someone would have been upset. I’m a hard core Calzona fan, but i do still love the character of lexie and i honestly wouldnt have thought it would be her they killed off. I was anxious for her to be reunited with Mark, as i thought Slexie fans were promied this by Shonda herself last season. However, if you read the post it states that Chyler wanted time to spend with her four kids, and maybe that should be taken more into consideration. She is obviously happy with the decision, and from experience i know how important spending time with your kids is and i aish her every happiness. I’m sorry a lot of Slexie fans are angry, but think about it logically with regards to the actress, would you rather she appeared very little in the episodes until eventually she became a cameo like Addison? Or would you rather she left amicably, and in an episode and performance that made us all feel something, afterall thats why they make these shows. To get a reaction out of the audience. Now, i agree and would rather they had killed off Kepner, she is annoying at best and her storylines are a useless waste or airtime. But callie and arizona deserve to stay, to say that arizonas death would give Sara a chance to draw on her Tony award winning performance is an insult, because she gives us all she has each episode she is in… And Jessica is equally just as talented, and together they are the only stable couple on the show. I think everyone needs a little stability amongst the craziness. I think for me, avery could have gone also, the only part his performance that lights up anything, arethose eyes. Yes, i said it… That boys nothing but a pair of eyes, a very crappy storyline and his smile makes me wanna steal arizonas brick and hit him with it. I think that people now saying they were dropping the show on account of chyler leaving, need to think abOut investment. Is it worth throwing away years of love and support for a show because one actress decided family was more important?? My greatest respect goes out to Chyler and i hope she is really happy, thank you for your awkwardness, wit and especially for the ball to the boob scene, you made me smile. I hope you have an amazing time with your kids. As for Shonda… Please get them off the ‘island’ this isnt LOST. You actually have a plot that isnt nonsensical.

• Ryany says:

Hey Sarah, That was a really great post and I enjoyed reading it. I am a Mer/Der fan mostly but like Callie and Arizona as well. I like Chyler as an actress and think she’s talented but was never overly attached to Lexie. I suspected it might be her leaving though, because she said she wanted to spend more time with family, which honestly is more important, as you said.
      I do think that all the people who are screaming that they want to drop the show are just over reacting right now, and it seems silly to have spent all these years watching and then because one person is gone they quit the show. Now if it had been Derek who was killed I would have been upset, sure, but i would continue watching because I like the rest of the show as well and don’t just watch it for one couple…
      Also I feel that this opens up more stories for the upcoming season. It will really impact everyone on the show because Lexie was close to pretty much everyone except for maybe Callie and Arizona, but they will be affected also because of Mark. I wonder if they’ll bring back Meredith’s father now that Lexie is gone, it would be nice to see her get closer to her father.

19. Hill Perez says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE GREY’S I thank god Shepard didnt leave the show!! Yes lexie was a unexpected dead but hey life is not perfect awesome people die to!!! I can’t wait for the new season !!

20. David says:

Killing Lexie=Epic Fail Shonda

21. S says:

Thank You Shonda for getting rid of one couple I could never stomach! Bravo. Please give Mark and Alex (the one you always forget or give crap to) good story lines for S9 and possibly new love. I thought this season was a lot better than S7 because last year was terrible and S6 was just eh and the finale is what made up for it. I haven’t really been into GA as much since S5 though but this season has been pretty good for the most part. I think by getting rid of some of the dead weight is going to make the show A LOT better. I would have added in April but for some odd reason I actually kind of like her now but I think its due to Jackson :P I see potential there.

22. didi says:

I’ve been in a fan since day One!! of Greys. I first have to say that this show does not make any sense. First, we let the Izzy Stevens situation slip by. Eventhough me as a true greys fan and the rest of us in the back of ours heads are thinking. We want for her to come back to the show. For the Alex and Izzy reunioun. Okay… Now this!!!! Whyyyy?? Did lexie have to be written off!!!! I wanted to see Mark and Lexie live happily ever after. That’s what was suppose to happen next. They get married and maybe have a double wedding. Mcsteamy with Lexie and McDreamy with Mer a real wedding this time. Now you know everybody thought it was going to be that arizona girl. Come she sooooooo annoying and boring to watch. If it’s going to be like this without Lexie I hope Mark and Callie end up together. I hope they get together and have a buch of babies.

23. Jen says:

I loved Lexi (Chyler) very much. But I understand that Shonda is trying to write a good show. I have loved Grey’s since the begining and will follow till the end. So all the negative people that are bashing my favorite show need to stop and give Shonda time to tell the whole story and see where she is leading us and have faith that she has a reason for where we are. I still love you Shonda and will be here next season.

• John DeMayo says:

That’s the thing. She’s not “leading” you guys anywhere. She clearly did this for the “shock” of it, and nothing more. What storyline can she tell with Lexie’s death… besides Meredith/Mark getting depressed? Nothing.

• Ryany says:

There’s a lot that can be done with this. For instance it frees up Mark to move on with his life and find a new love interest. Meredith and her father could reunite over the loss, Cristina and Owen can realize what’s important and work through their issues, Callie/Arizona and Mark will grow closer together as a family, obvioulsy it will lead to April keeping her job and some changes for Jackson and Alex as well. I think she has some good stuff up her sleeve and we’ll all be surprised next season. I’m looking forward to it.

• ME says:

Um Derek looked pretty sad himself you know just sayin. And really I don’t need to see this depression sl either so I’m hopin they do a time jump eventually lol

24. I’m sad that Lexie died. I was hoping it would be Arizona as her character doesn’t have as much importance as most of the others. As for Lexie and Mark not getting more of a chance to say good-bye to each other, it just shows that time stands still for no one. In real life dying people don’t always get a whole “episode” to get to say their good-byes to each other before one dies. It’s life. And yes, this is a T.V. program but it has always been intense and people die unexpectedly and they don’t always get a chance to say their good-byes. Mark and Lexie may not have had long to say what they wanted to say but the brief moments they did have were gut wrenching. Shonda, you did what you felt you had to do here. I accept that. But if you do indeed kill off anyone else when the season opens, you will be killing the series as well. Just sayin’….

25. ME says:

Why is everyone wishing Mark dead? how could you? you call yourself a slexie fan and yet you want him dead? seriously? …. Well guess what he’s not. I seriously hope to see the return of old Mark aka McSteamy. I’m tired of all the people being in love, paired, married n happy. BORING. I don’t mind MerDer because they are the main couple so that is how it should be but the rest no.

26. Cassandra says:

so shonda issued a statement saying she and chyler decided together it was time for lexies journey to end…whhaaattt?I’m sorry. Shonda your statement is so ignorant. Why on earth would it be time for a young brilliant surgeon to die?? If she died saving someone or something, maybe, but cmon, you just have her look bambi-eyed and drool over mark all season and then kill her off?? lexi grey’s character had way more substance than that. she was brilliant. good. kind. that death was so disrespectful to the character and the loyal fans who watch for 8 seasons just to be left with some stupid whining about losing their virginity characters-really? this show has been meaningful for the past 8 years, and now its just a joke. and lets kill off as much of merediths family as we can cause she hasnt been through enough. if chyler didnt want to come back, you write her out of town, you dont kill the character. that is such a cop out, and why would you let the actress decide that with you. this is your show shonda, and it was epic until now. now, its an epic fail. you have the summer to fix the story. dream seq.

• A says:

I couldn’t have said this better. I mean why the hell would her story have to end. She could’ve been a brilliant surgeon with her photographic memory and all her wonderful qualities. I mean at least George died trying to save someone’s life. This was just stupid and cruel.

And the parts where they were showing April bitching every second I was so pissed off. I mean Lexie just died and you switch to her continuing to cry about her virginity and failing her board. WTF? who cares.
      And Meredith, I was so enjoying seeing her finally be happy after all these year. Why couldn’t they continue to explore that? But no, Shonda, decides to kill off her sister.
      I know its a show but I have never been so disappointed with this show. I’m still going to watch because I will always love it but this was just stupid and cruel

• Cassandra says:

i know. i was like, what is this? why do we have this virginity moral drama going on with april anymore? this show is not a message to kids to wait to have sex, like what is going on with this show? and meredith is alwaaayyss dealing with drama, giving her liver to save her dad, her mom dying, almost losing derek, almost dying herself, losing her kid, her job(getting them back though but still) i mean, cmon, she has to lose her sister to? not real life. and we kill off all of the sunny happy characters? the good people? thats motivating. henry, denny, george, now lexies, all of the good hearted characters die? whack. and just the writing was so poor. first of all, how could no one realize they were missing? secondly, how did dereks hand make it through metal? is he super human now? thirdly, why would christina just pull meredith up without checking if she was injured? i mean, just so many holes in the consistency of the writing that i am prraayying shonda and chyler are being sneaky and this whole thing is a set up, bc otherwise this is just the worst writing in the history of tv. so poorly executed, and i would hate to see a brilliant compelling show like greys has been for 8 years get wrapped up in this crappy melodramatic fashion. it would be such a slap in the face to all of the hard work the actors have dedicated years of their lives to, not to mention all the loyal fans. just so wrong. on so many levels.

• A says:

lol i think it because like Cristina said, she’s PTSD so she’s not that reliable. :P
          And ya I completely agree. Honestly I’d give them so much credit if this turned out to be them messing with us. I’ll admit I got got. And yes I think it should’ve been two hours. I would have loved to see the reactions when they all found out that the plane crashed, that may have made the episode a bit better. I mean I know Hunt was dealing with his own crap but seriously not noticing that your staff didnt even arrive. Come on. And now we have to wait four months to find out what happened.
          They better not do a time jump or anything because I need to see everyone’s reactions and I need to see Lexie’s funeral even though it’ll be so sad.
          S8 was pretty decent in my opinion until this episode.

• Ryany says:

She can’t fix anything. Chyler was let go from her contract and will be moving on. I hear she is going to do Broadway, which means she is already tied up in something else. She’s a young mom and actress and will be moving on with her life, not sit around and wait for a rewrite that won’t come. Time to get over it, what’s done is done.

27. Gloria S. says:

As to saying good bye to Teddy…I think that was the best desicion, she said it herself, the surgical room, the elevator and the cafeteria would have made it impossible for her to ever love again….BUT LEXIE!!! She and Mark were meant to be…I cannot imagine anyone replacing her in his life the way they should have been. I think her character still a lot to offer and accomplish.

28. Elle says:

MAYBE…Lexie is not really dead and will be rescued when they all are. Because if she really is dead…and her and Mark never get to have a real, lasting relationship (which they have been building up to for seasons)…then I don’t think I can watch anymore!!!

• rachel says:

There is no way, she was in the worst shape, stuck under a plane and recieved no medical attention. The others were freezing and doing bad at the end and they weren’t as bad off also they are doctors…I think they know when someone is dead

29. MF says:

Lexie going dosen’t meet gone. I can picture Lexi back with Mark going into a “crazy” emotional state of sorrow and having conversations with Lexie….. it’s happened before a dead character returning. I know it is not the same as continuing her living story line but at least we could get our Lexie fix and it would be a easier time table for the actress. Remeber tears and shock are all part of Grey’s.

30. Hans says:

This is the best decision Shonda has ever made. No one was expecting any of this to happen, and look. Everyone is talking about it. Mission accomplished. Shonda is a genius.

• Hans says:

And to everyone saying that maybe Lexie isn’t gone for good, give your heads a shake. Shonda and Chyler talked, decided it was time, and that’s that. Lexie is gone.

31. The Butler Did It says:

Post after post on here about the loss of Lexie, and Slexie and Mer/Lexie, but nothing about the Derek and Lexie dynamic from you all? This is an especially big loss if this character has really died. It was a relationship that was just beginning to form and really came into its own this year. All that build up with Derek finally filling the role of mentor, protector and big brother, for what? There are so many fronts on which this character’s demise will be felt, and in Derek’s life in particular this will be huge, and it all, every piece of it, felt like a hastily rewritten, unfinished storyline.
    I am disappointed in this show, the last several weeks in particular. And I agree that trying to write this thing without knowing who your actors will be is either foolish, or just plain not true. My bet is these main contracts have been settled for a while. Everyone knows this is how PD mostly funds his auto racing and other expensive hobbies, and good for him that he lives his dream. And the rest of the original cast are too old to start over in films etc, (except for SO who has a solid indie career), and paydays are not what they once were in Hollywood. Anyone with a steady high paying job on a series like this would be nuts to leave. Meanwhile Chyler Leigh is still young enough to do anything she wants. So where were these original actors really going? Nowhere obviously. But SR found a way to hype their uncertain futures into a pr guessing game that served her well, for now. Ratings will be strong for this bizarre season wrap up, but the Fall will be a different story. You can only jerk around your most loyal customers so long.

• tripoli says:

I was waiting for someone to comment on the Lexie & Derek dynamic. I was really enjoying the brotherly way he gave her advice, taught her, etc. Another downfall to the loss of Lexie. She made Derek a lot more tolerable.

32. John DeMayo says:

Guys… the issue here is that not only did they kill off a beloved character that did not deserve or need to die, but they did it TERRIBLY. Everything about the episode was horribly cliched and totally unrealisitic for a medical show. There is no way in heck that so many accidents/catastrophes could happen to the same group of people over and over again. If they wanted to kill Lexie (which in itself was a terrible idea), they could have come up with a better way to do it than having a completely random plane crash. That’s just lazy.

• Babygate says:

What would have been the non-lazy way of killing her off? A car crash, like Callie? Getting hit by a bus, like George? Getting terminally ill, like Izzie? Being gunned down, like Reid? Drowned like Meredith? It seems like no matter what method Shonda used, if you don’t agree with her decision to terminate a character, you’re not going to like how she does it. Period.

33. Sammy says:

This was the worst show finale I’ve ever seen. For any show. Such a bad move and I will not be watching it anymore. Adios, Grey’s!

34. Marii says:

To the comment about “There is a difference in leaving a show and being killed off!”

There really isn’t a difference. If a character is killed off on a series then that usually means they are leaving the show!! That your comment was so riddled with upset is proof positive that Shonda Rhimes wrote the scene perfectly! Had she just let Lexie walk off into the sunset people would be just as ticked off about her leaving. But for some reason that she was “killed” off seems to be influencing people’s critical thinking skills! Being killed off is not an indicator as to WHY Chyler has left the show completely.

I think she gave a major character a major exit! Would people have been satisfied with anything less? I mean really? Judging from the outcry I would have to say a resounding NO, people would not have been happy no matter how Lexie’s character made its grand departure.

Come on, really, never watching it again?

Why not wait and see what Chyler has to say about the WHY’s of her exit.

Shonda Rhimes and the supporting writers/producers etc, I am a lifetime FAN no matter WHO you kill off or whomever leaves the show however it’s written!

• John DeMayo says:

I’m not a fan. I’m not upset. I AM speaking for the Mark/Lexie fans though. My point is that if an actress wanted to LEAVE the show… they don’t necessarily need to be “killed off”. There are plenty of ways to write a character out in a believable, emotional, and most importantly, SATISFYING way. They built the Mark/Lexie relationship up over several seasons… and to have Lexie go out in the manner she did is both unnecessary and cruel to the people who have invested in watching them for several years now.

It just wasn’t well done no matter how you look at it.

• Babygate says:

The problem is that Mark and Lexie were a beloved couple. For the last four seasons their story has grown and their feelings for each other have intensified. You can’t just have a character walk away from that. Like Izzie did. Alex is still pining over her. He can’t find closure because he still loves her. If Lexie had just left, Mark wouldn’t be able to move on because he would still be in love with her and waiting for her. It’s evident that Shonda needed to close that door shut for good and the only absolute and finite way of doing that was by terminating Lexie. As sad as that is.

• Bobby says:

If they had just written her out, going off into the sunset there would have been no drama to it, and it would have been terrible for the Mark character because no matter who they paired him with people would always have wondered ‘what if Lexie comes back?’ The only way to get that done would have been to write out Eric Dane as well, and that would not have been fair to the actor.

35. Ali says:

Shonda said

36. gina says:

I think she did a good job I’m a fan of the show .I hate that she kill off lexie but I’m going to watch it shonda u did a good job

37. Luu says:

I’m so sad and dissapointed that I really don’t know what to say. The only thing I can think is: worst episode ever!

38. Shy says:

I’m so disappointed by Lexie’s death. Her character is/was my absolute favorite. While I hate that this was the character to leave, I hope that Lexie’s portrayer can find another great series. Grey’s loss is another show’s gain.
    This G.A. fan will truly miss Lexie.

39. Shoetina fan says:

Best finale ever! Cristina has found her shoe! That’s all I care about.

40. A. says:

The old article you linked, Ausiello, had me laugh.

So much for “I could be the Grey in the title”.

41. maureen says:

Arizona was bleeding from the mouth, she may be worse than it appeared.

42. Cynthia says:

Omg teddyyyyyyyyyy I was a big fannn

43. Babygate says:

Not only did we lose Lexie, but Teddy too???? I honestly didn’t think it was a final decision. I didn’t get that sense. I thought Owen would change his mind after the whole crash situation was resolved. I watch for Callie, Mark, Lexie, Arizona and Teddy and now I’ve lost two of my favorites. This is going to make for a very different Grey’s for me. If Callie and Arizona don’t get meaningful storylines next season, there will be very little reason for me to watch.

44. Katy says:

For everyone complaining about why the partners aren’t calling, the only person who should have gotten a phonecall is Arizona (or possibly Mark). Everyone else’s partner is either with them (Derek & Meredith) or n/a (Christina/Lexie)

• Bobby says:

Right, also at the restaurent they stated that the plane was supposed to land an hour ago, and Callie was getting ready. She was expecting Arizona home at a certain time, and prior to that they were going to be either on a plane or in the operating room, so no point in calling…

45. rachel says:

I think it sucks that thry keep killing Mers family off…who really loses there mom, step-mom and sister. Thats messed up

46. Trixie McSteamy says:

Eh. Good riddance Lexie. You were a wishy washy whiny little nuisance anyway. #RIP tho.

47. Timmy Bauer says:

Maybe now Kim Raver can go back to 24!!! Audrey come back!!! (in the 24 movie, I mean)

48. freeSyria says:

i really thought it was going to be Callie or Arizona. Thank goodness it’s not. I don’t mind for Lexie but it’ll be sad cause she is little Grey.

49. sarah says:

I watched the nikita finale bfore i watched greys… and I am glad that i did. ’cause when I finished watching Greys, for a minute there I thougt there were no such things as GOOD finales, but then i remebered the nikita finale and now my day is not TOTALY ruined :) I mean honestly, i am gonna give Greys the benefit of the doubt and watch next seasons first two episodes orso and then I am gonna decide if im gonna give up on this show or not. If any other show would pull this cr*p i wouldn’t even consider watching next season. But Greys has been one of my favorite shows for the last 5 years or so.. But this finale did show us once again, what great actors there are on this show

50. Stacie says:

I know were all very upset at the way Lexi( Chyler) left the show, she was one of the best characters on there and deserved a better way of leaving instead of killing her off and I know we can all agree to that and i hope shonda can STOP!!! killing all these characters off we’ve all been through enough heart break and sadness already lexies death was the hardest death on the show to watch because we were all so invested in the whole make / lexie reunion that we were cheated out on and she had so much more to offer than april or jackson (wouldnt of mind seeing them leave the show) but that being said it doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop watching I’m a loyal and invested fan of greys who has been watching from the very beginning and will continue watching <3