Grey's Anatomy Boss Opens Up About Finale's Two Big Exits: 'It Made Me Sick, It Made Me Sad'

Grey's Anatomy Season 8 FinaleYou. Were. Warned.

Early Thursday, Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes issued the following alert to fans via Twitter: “Do not expect to be comforted or happy at end of the GA finale. I wrote it and even I found the ending to be very unsettling.”

She wasn’t kidding.

Although we’ve known for weeks that a Seattle Grace vet would meet an untimely end in this week’s plane crash-themed season climax, the death still packed a wallop — mostly because it came so early in the hour (defying finale convention). And, more importantly, because the character’s last name is in the title of the freakin’ show!

Yep, Rhimes went and killed Lexie!

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Truth is, Little Grey, played for five seasons by Chyler Leigh, didn’t stand a chance. Trapped beneath the wrecked fuselage, she was barely able to say a final goodbye to despondent ex Mark before she slipped away in the episode’s first 20 minutes. The death triggered a meltdown in sister Meredith (Ellen Pompeo really brought it, huh?) while Mark (an equally impressive Eric Dane) completely shut down. We would later discover that McSteamy was battling more than just a broken heart — he suffered something called a “cardiac tamponade,” as Cristina quickly diagnosed. She and Mer then performed some eww-inducing emergency surgery and saved his life. (Arizona and Derek also sustained serious injuries but, thankfully, survived.)

Meanwhile, back at Seattle Grace, Teddy nixed that Metcom offer and decided to remain at the hospital because she wanted to stay close to her dead husband’s ghost. And out of loyalty to Owen, who then turned around and fired her as a way to force her to take the job. (So long, Kim Raver!) Her exit would seem to pave the way for Cristina to become Seattle Grace’s new Cardio God.

UPDATE: After the West Coast airing, here is what Rhimes shared on Twitter about writing out Leigh and Raver:

Callie said it best tonight: Life changes in an instant. Turns on a dime.

This finale was incredibly hard to write. I did not enjoy it. It made me sick and it made me sad. We end the season not knowing ANYTHING about the future. Except for two things. We know we are definitely saying goodbye to two of my favorite people: Chyler Leigh (Lexie) and Kim Raver (Teddy).

I know this season’s finale had some surprises for viewers and the exit of Kim Raver was one of the big ones. But Kim’s series option was up and she was ready to give Teddy Altman a much-needed vacation. It’s been a pleasure working with someone as talented and funny and kind as Kim; everyone is going to miss her terribly. I like to imagine that Teddy is still out there in the Grey’s Anatomy universe, running Army Medical Command and building a new life.

I love Chyler and I love the character of Lexie Grey. She was an important member of my Grey’s family. This was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end. As far as I’m concerned Chyler will always remain a part of the Shondaland family and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future.

I’d write more but I’m honestly too sad. I don’t like life changing in an instant and turning on a dime.

Elsewhere in the finale:

* Jackson decided to take the Tulane job, leaving best friend and lover April to mourn what could’ve been. (Sorry, no way Jesse Williams is leaving.)

* Bailey and Ben officially got engaged in one of the episode’s rare happy moments.

* Alex revealed in a voicemail to Arizona that he was accepting the position at Johns Hopkins. (Sorry, no way Justin Chambers is leaving.)

Reaction? Were you blindsided by the big death? When Lexie took her last breath, did you immediately flash back to this TVLine story from last fall and wonder if there was a connection? Which performance were you most impressed by? How long do you think Mer, Der, Cristina, Arizona and Mark will remain stranded in the middle of nowhere? Hit the comments!

Watch More TVLine Videos!

1. Mimi says:

I hope lexie isn’t really dead I hope its just a coma or something…. not cool, her last name is Grey I always thought her and Mark would be the next Meredith and Derek why would they kill her, I had a feeling that she would pick Lexie to kill of the show but I thought Nah that would be a stupid move ughhh

2. Erin says:

This wasn’t a great episode. Opening with “Oh oh, she’s dying, there’s nothing we can do.” and killing her off in the next ten minutes? Very anti-climactic. I’m not a Lexie fan at all – couldn’t care less that she’s dead. But they could have dragged it out a little longer for the sake of the drama.

Also – the head of the other hospital leaving Owen voicemails all day instead of contacting the hospital administration directly to alert them of the situation? Totally unbelievable. On the plus side, Teddy got fired!

As for everybody bitching at Shonda – grow the hell up. It’s a TV show, and it’s HER TV show. In all likeliness, Chyler wanted out, and Shonda obliged. It’s not the end of the world.

• karla says:

of course its not the end of the worls you idiot but she makes money because we love her show and her characters so we have the right to vent if we want.

3. Bri says:

Not sure chyler Leigh wanted out off contract but either way
    Dear Shonda Rhimes,

If someone wants to leave the show u don’t have to automatically kill them or give them life threatening diseases. It’s over written. New material please.

4. Sunny says:

I’ve watched the show from the very beginning and I really liked Lexie but her death impacts everybody because she’s had some time of relationship with each of the main characters. Oh and all of you taking her death like she really died need to get a life! Every major show kills off a person and I’m sure Leigh wanted to spend time with her young children since she’s been working hard these past few years. Get a grip

5. I haven’t even seen the episode yet but I’m never gonna recover from this.
    I’ve been watching Grey’s since season one and it’s my favorite show, but right now I’m done with it. Why, Shonda? :(

6. Anna says:

Agree with rowan77 maybe it’s Chyler decision, often when an actor wants to leave the character is killing off. And sorry but lexie is not the most popular character. LOL to people who say they are done with the show, so you watch a show for one character or one couple? Lame! I’m tired with the ship wars and people boycotting the show. And really show some respect to Shonda, you don’t why Lexie is the one to die, maybe its Chyler wish and even its Shonda she doesn’t deserves all the hâte because she’s a real person, Lexie is fictional. People are too much invested in tv shows ans fictional life

7. Stacey says:

I think it was part Chyler’s choice. Last fall right after the summer break; she asked for time off. Personal business at home; and Lexie was absent for the bulk of the early fall. With all the focus on who was staying made Shonda go for the less obvious option. Yet leave the door open in case people decided to leave over the summer due contract talks. Which is why we didn’t see a rescue. Leaving it vague. We all know Teddy is gone; therefore Christina will be offered Teddy’s job. Derek will need rehab on his hand; and Harvard won’t want him so they will stay in Seattle because it’s where they have friends and Meredith and Derek will be wanted on staff when he’s healthy. Alex will step up and help out in peds while Arizona is rehabbing (the actress is pregnant and therefore due right around the time the show returns, so it will be a light schedule for her early weeks of the season). Avery will decide to stay for April and April will be offered a position as a doctor even though she can’t be a surgeon until she retakes the boards…

8. loulzb says:

that was a disappointing finale to say the least.. It’s not the killing Lexie that bugs me, it’s just how predictable that whole thing was. the only shock was killing her off that quickly.. I was hoping it was going to be someone else JUST because it would have been unexpected.. the show needs a change.. i’m honestly hoping they grow a pair and kill off someone else during the premiere.. this death was a waste of death! so unnecessary.. when SR described this as dark and twisted my brain went to sooo many different places that are 100000x more dark and twisted that this! i just really wasn’t impressed with it! i really hope next season is better.. this is by far the weakest season! if this is how it continues.. i’m not sure how much long i could still watch this for.. they either need to end it while it’s still good.. or just revamp it and make it interesting again! and by revamping it i don’t mean killing off everyone.. but at least switching it up from what we’re used to.. by far the lamest, most predictable, disappointing and NOT dark & twisty finale..

• kel says:

Word. I could live with Lexi dying if it was well written and dramatic. It was lame and boring, not what you’d expect out of the finale, especially after all the hype. BTW its 9pm competition PoI……now THAT was a dramatic well plotted finale.

9. Holly Moss says:

OMG KILL LEX AND KEEP APRIL THAT IS STUPID!

10. Lana G. says:

Thank GOD she didn’t kill of Arizona. I’ll miss Lexie, but killing off Robbins would have been awful.

11. S says:

The thing I’m looking forward to next season? the return of my McSteamy :) YES! Well I hope so anyways. I don’t want him to be all depressed and crap over this all season so maybe they’ll do a time jump? and I hope Teddy is gone too cause she isn’t needed. They need female characters on here but ones who I’m actually going to care about. Also Alex needs some lovin Shonda! April doesn’t annoy me as much and I actually like her and Jackson but there still needs to be work done there.

12. tess says:

I never liked Lexie, and she made Mark beyond boring. But this was awful. Could not care less about Teddy, April, or Jackson. And all the crash site scenes were so OTT they were funny. The speeches were so stupid and so annoying. And the only bright spot was Bailey babbling about her thong? Seriously. At least it looks like Teddy’s gone. I really hop that sticks.

13. Angel says:

Shonda could’ve at least got them rescued before fading to black gosh darnit! Seriously, worst ending ever! I hope she doesn’t kill off Arizona in the season opener, that would be foolish, or Mark for that matter. I didn’t really care that Lexi died, she wasn’t a huge player, but her death will impact Mark, Mer, and Der next season if they all stick around, which I think they are. I know April can be annoying, but I am the only one who wanted to smack Jackson upside the head and tell him to ask her to leave with him and start over where he is going?! They need to keep their relationship going. Now with Lexie gone, I wonder if Kepner will get a chance to redo her last year as a resident, since there will be a spot open. Just an afterthought. This episode was terribly hard to stomach, I hated the up close footage of their wounds, and I hated how Shonda left it! She could’ve at least left a glimmer of hope that the rest will survive. I hate that I have to wait till September to find out!

• Elena says:

Yep, I think you were the only one. 80% of the Grey’s audience HATES April Kepner. I honestly can’t imagine why anyone would like her, and she is a HUGE waste of some man-hunk Avery.

• Cassandra says:

omg elena, sooo true. haha april is such an annoying character and im not sure why they felt the need to introduce this dramatic virginity story, this is not an abc family series lol. so lame. april needs to go. lexie needs to not be dead lol. the end.

14. Rachel says:

That. Took. Balls. Kudos.

15. Lucy says:

I liked it!
    But, I’m a big Joss Whedon fan, so I’m used to my favorite characters being killed off, and killed off in a sudden, realistic fashion, often instantly, without any chance for melodramatic goodbyes. Life goes on. (Except for the character, of course. They only live on in the fanfiction.)
    The whole point is if you are going to kill someone off, you don’t pick the character no one cares about, you take away the favorite, kill off whomever is going to have the biggest impact on the characters. From the number of people stamping their little feet and saying “That’s it. I’m taking my ball and going home!”, you have all proven her right! She obviously picked the beloved character.
    I did expect the rest of the episode to be a little darker, actually. When they failed to attract the chopper I was like, “Oh no, they’re going to end up eating Lexie!” I’m glad they didn’t. That’s probably going too far. I liked Mer and Cristina in this, and I’ll still watch the show because they’ve been my favorite part.

16. henry says:

I’ve always said that the unluckiest place to live was wisteria lane and the unluckiest place to work is seattle grace – mercy death… oops, sorry, I just quoted alex, seattle grace – mercy west… I think that the episode was, uhm… fine… certainly it’s unbelievable how unlucky these people are and the unfortunate situations they make them go through. it’s just a little too much, with the bomb, the ferry accident where mer almost died, the izzie cancer, george dying, the shooting in the hospital, callie almost dying and now this? I mean, come on… at a certain point you just have to say enough and give people a break. I know that drama keeps people coming back and help ratings, but it’s a little too much, in my opinion. lexie certainly deserved some closure with mark and a happy ending, but I think this shows that unfortunately life isn’t fair and sometimes bad things happen to good people, it’s not fair, but it’s a reality… sure, lexie and mark should’ve ended together, have beautiful babies and everything, but sometime shizz just happens… I felt cheated because the episode really didn’t give resolution and just drag it out until september seems tedious, however, she has some cojones to do what she did, whether you like it or not it’s her show, her characters, I know we’ve invested on them a lot and hope for the best, but she had the right to do what she did and I applaud her for that, I don’t agree but I respect her decision… can’t wait for september, it’s gonna be a looooooooong summer!

• Cassandra says:

well chris, just by what henry said we know this show is obviously not realistic. allll of the stuff these characters have gone through, its just overboard. one of these events happen to people in a lifetime not 6 or 7 times. they are often the patients more than the doctors, its overboard. secondly, shonda killing off characters is fine, as long as she does the character some justice. the way she executed the episode where they killed george was well played. this was just so disrespectful to lexie’s character. shes mers only real family left. thirdly, if an actor wants out of a contract, you dont just kill the character, thats a cop out and poor writing. so anyone “whining” has a pretty good reason to. if youve been a loyal fan for years, youd understand that the writing on the show has slowly been deteriorating and thats frustrating for anyone who appreciates the art, and meaning the show has brought for so many seasons. we would rather see it end while its still good than see this beloved series self-destruct before our eyes. its sad for everyone involved. as if the arts arent struggling enough in this economy. just sad. even if shonda was in a bind bc of contract talk or what have you, i still think she is clever enough to have written this in a less hollywood melodramatic fashion by killing off characters for shock value. if for instance they had even kissed at the end of the previous episode, that would have been some closure, some respect for their characters and dance they have choreographer between the two of them all season…it just seemed like a major cop out for a writer, and understandably people are disappointed. however, shonda has the summer to fig out a way to save it. it could be a dream sequence, any number of things. she left it open ended enough to save her own butt at the end of the day ;) lol im sure she doesnt want the show to be cancelled bc shes lost so many viewers, when ratings are down, things get cancelled. shes not that dumb.

• henry says:

hehe, it’s not realistic, I know, doen’t mean I don’t like it… As many have said tv shows are a way to escape from all the drama in our daily lives and I like others people’s drama for a change. I’ve been a fan of this show since day one and many of the decisions shonda has made are really questionable, but like I said, those are her characters and she has the right to do with them whatever she wants in order to take the story the way she envisioned, we may not like it, but well, we also have the right turn off the tv when we don’t like the direction she’s taking the show, it’s one of the risks she takes by making the decisions she makes… I remember a storyline about poo transplant, I mean, come on, seriously? but well, I’ll stick with grey’s til the end, it has given my hours of entertainment…

17. Mahala says:

One: If Chyler wanted to leave, I can’t blame her. It’s Shonda’s fault, if she’d written something better for her Chyler might not have wanted out, she’s been wasted for three years. Or did ABC fire her?

Two: This episode was disgustingly overhyped. Shonda wanted those ratings, whatever they were… she’ll pay for her cheap, dirty trick next season though. Considering that Glee (despite what I hear about it now) is going up against it, there’s no way ratings won’t slip for GA. Maybe that’s payback for Shonda’s mistake? Glee against GA?

Three: I feel cheated. Mark and Lexie always had that potential, relevance, promise and chemistry, but it was never utilized the way it should have been, they were so wasted when they didn’t have to be, yet I always held out for them. Guess I won’t have to anymore. For crap’s sake, she croaked before we were even half an hour in. Mark should die next season, I refuse to see him mope or get with someone else. Or be Calzona’s sperm donor yet again.

Everything else was lame, though EP, SO and ED’s performances rose above the shoddy, lazy writing. Who was able to care about anything else after Lexie?

To close (I honestly can’t even truly begin to really put into words, this is the best I can do under the circumstances), fans were cheated into cheap thrills (if you can even so much as call it that) by a bunch of overhype.

18. Jill says:

I have secretly been *hate-watching* GA since they had Izzy sleeping with a dead guy. I’ll keep (hate-) watching but only because I’ve been invested since the beginning of the series. sh

19. Rob says:

This finale did not do Lexie Grey justice. It did not do Grey’s Anatomy justice. Shonda was right. We weren’t happy with the finale, but not just for the reasons that she anticipated. Season 9’s first episode will tell whether or not I continue to be one of the dwindling 10 million viewers left. I’m sorry Shonda, that was far too little for too much; you were right to feel uncomfortable this round.

20. dorothy says:

Worst finale this season. So disappointed.

21. Donna says:

Well not my favorite episode (mainly because I was crying so much), and I am very sad about lexie. Add my name to the list of people hoping for either a coma, or dream sequence. It was so sad that Meredith didn’t get back before she died. I am really worried that Mark might not make it, and I hope Derek’s hand gets better, but later after the Harvard job is gone. Way to rip out my heart, but I will be back next season. I also can’t believe it. Meredith is like a death magnet, poor thing everybody keeps dieing on her.

22. Mariah says:

I love Lexie but in all fairness, she didn’t have much of a storyline this year. It reminded me a lot of George before he met his untimely demise (which, coincidentally, they mentioned twice in this episode). He had virtually no storyline that season until the very end.

It by NO means makes it fair though! Lexie has been on the show for quite a long time and, no offense, but if anyone should have gone it should have been one of the newer kids from Mercy West, like April. Lexie is a vet of the show (it’s bad enough we lost Burke, Izzie, and George because of issues off-screen). RIP Lexie you were AMAZING on the show!

23. hello says:

i came to this show solely for Chyler Leigh, so i guess i am done.

24. Allie says:

Guess I just wasted 8 Seasons of my life. First George. Now Lexie. I don’t blame Katherine Heigl for leaving the show — Shonda is terrible to her actors/characters/fans.

25. Chloe says:

It is unbelievable! after all slexie fans we´ve been through waiting for a reunition … the girl is killed?! really? that is all?!! ..is DISRESPECTFUL for all the fans that remained watching the show for years just expecting to see mark and lexie getting back together…

26. Angela Lauria says:

Having been a fan since season 1 I’ve endured the death of Denny, George the loss of Izzie and Burke, –all painful but tonight was cruel. Lexie, really? Throughout the years I’ve made threats to my friends that I would stop watching but this year I stand firm. Grey’s is dead to me. You could have killed Arizona, Kepner, Hunt, Teddy and I would have dealt and moved on but Lexie…really? I just can’t anymore…

• Jen says:

If they really wanted to “shock” she should have killed Arizona. Callie/Arizona are untouchable, which is fine, but wtf does Shonda have against Slexie???? Over this show.

27. Tiffany says:

I am done with show. It was ridiculous killing Lexie! Can Shonda now longer write a good dramatic episode without killing a beloved character?

28. Mahala says:

Oh yeah. To the little twits who are complaining about us complaining, just keep digging your way up Shonda’s ass then. She’ll ruin your favorite character/pairing too and let’s see how you like it then, most of you who are complaining didn’t even like Lexie/Slexie, so who in the hell are you to say? Yes, this is fiction. Yes, this is drama. Not everything is going to be happy-smiley-perfect all the time. But there’s this little thing called ‘escapism’. I’m entitled to that since I take some time off from my life to escape into a fantasy one for just a bit. Shonda didn’t have to patronize, lie, & alienate her fans at every turn. M/L fans were strung along for three years. I waited for Shonda to see the light with these two and give them a substantial story-line, everything was there to do it. Chemistry, potential, promise, and relevance. SR just refused to ever utilize it, it obviously was too much effort for her. I didn’t expect marriage and babies for M/L, but damn…to always have been treated as a halfhearted afterthought…and they didn’t even get a proper good-bye not even half an hour in.

I’ll watch the first five seasons that I paid good money for, if I want not only my M/L but the rest too. The show was at least good without M/L then. M/L were my special couple once the inconsistency for all started in season five onward. Despite everything, the very thought of a special M/L moment was enough to get me to continue watching the show, despite all the other insipid, inconsistent crap.

29. Julie says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! You Killed off Little Grey!!! how disappointing….. You better just kill off Sloan because he was meant to be with Lexi. It should have been April sorry April but you are no Lexi Grey. I have watched every episode more than once and I am a true
    GA fan but after this I can honestly say not sure if I will watch the last season……how disappointing

30. Doreen says:

i am so hoping that Lexie just went into shock and fell into a coma, they didnt actually show anyone take her pulse it could be a twist for the next season, maybe she is still alive and she will be temp paralyzed and her and mark will be getting married and she will walk again at there wedding that is how much i love the character of Lexie grey i have it all planned out and i am gonna be so sad that it prob wont happen, i mean i like arizona but they should have killed her, and since she was coughing up blood she still could die, and then Karev would stay at SG, i hope Shonda listens and fixes this

31. Lauren says:

Does anyone think that they’ll also kill off Mark or Arizona too? I feel like they need to make more attending space now that Justin Chambers is staying (plus I also think Jesse Williams will be sticking around next season). I really feel like Mark could be done now that Lexie’s been killed off… Jackson could replace Mark. Christina will replace Teddy. Meredith can fill in for Derek with the hand injury. Then, I’m worried about Arizona because obviously Alex could end up staying as her replacement too…

32. Kristina says:

Just reaffirms for me I was right to quit watching. Only reason I bothered to keep up with it was to find out about Lexie and Mark. Definitely done.

33. S says:

^ I was kind of confused at first if Lexie was really dead or not? did they even check her pulse? but then Mark was holding her hand of course he then went out of it himself so I’m not sure. I guess they could easily bring Lexie back if they really wanted to? and kill another off or no one. That simple.

34. Jade says:

I’m really upset about this finale! Lexie has been such a great addition to the cast and the storyline. BIG FAIL! I don’t know, maybe she wanted to leave the show. if thats the case then I can’t be all that upset that they killed her off. its just that after being such an important and lovable character on the show for so many years, her exit felt cheap and undignified. she had maybe 6 or 10 lines and then she’s dead? Within 20 minutes of the episode? Really Shonda? Really? It should have been Arizona. It seemed as though Shonda’s team threw this storyline together at the very last minute. it lacked focus and creativity. I dont think i can watch the next season….

• Elena says:

You’re right, this ep lacked MANY things. Another hour may have fixed that. If Chyler wanted off, why not write her out by making Mark choose Julia and Lexi moving away? Why must she die? Her character and the M/L relationship was NOT done justice. And this is just the beginning of what was wrong with this episode. BAd, bad, bad.

35. Dyson says:

Lexi deserved better. Rhimes did her fans dirty. I’ll wait till the reason comes out, but i’m done watching greys with commercials. I’m torrenting next season.

36. Jen says:

I get that since Ellen signed on they don’t need Chyler anymore, but seriously????? FU Shonda.

37. Richard says:

Judging by the reaction, I’m going to go out on a limb and say Shonda made the right choice. Look at the emotion a TV show has gotten out of the general public. “I’m never gonna watch again!” –> Yes you will, because a TV show is more than one character that wasn’t even an original character. “I’m going to kill Shonda Rhimes!” –> No you aren’t, because then you would be killing a writer for hmm doing her job and writing a great TV show? Fans do not make shows successful or not, it’s all about ratings. And I have news for you people, Fans do not equal ratings.

Shonda said the reunion between Lexie and Mark would be bittersweet, how could anyone not see this coming? It was either Lexie or Mark that would have died, they would confess their love and then one would die, it’s very Romeo and Julietesque, but it works, I mean look at the reception.

It’s all about the hype, everyone’s gonna talk about it for the whole summer, and when the premier is on, everyone’s gonna watch like little sheep because deep in your minds, you’re hoping Meredith was just dreaming on the plane ride and she wakes up and all is well.

So kudos to Shonda for having the integrity to make a very hard choice to make I’m sure for the sake of telling her story for her show. If fans don’t like it, write your own Emmy TV Show.

• Elena says:

If 80% of the shows fans hate an episode, it was “the right choice”? Glad you don’t work in showbiz!

• Mahala says:

Shonda hasn’t won any Emmys for some time. No, I won’t watch the show, she cheated the M/L fans for way too long, they could have at least had more scenes before such a “wham-bam-thank you-ma’am!” so-called “moment”. She died before we were even half an hour in! Shonda’s overhyped cheap thrills will cost her, she and the word “integrity” in the same sentence is laughable. Keep kissing her ass and see where it gets you. You most likely didn’t even like Mark/Lexie anyway, so this means nothing to you.

Yeah, fans do equal ratings, what in the hell do you think ratings are? The people ARE the ratings, they ARE what make or break a show. After Katherine Heigl and T.R. Knight left, the show’s ratings went even further downhill than they already were, you can’t sit there and tell me that their absence had nothing to do with it. They certainly had their fans, despite the “KH is an ungrateful bitch!” people.

• Emily says:

Ummm, nope. I really am done with the show now. It was an utter betrayal to fans, imho. I think a lot will stop watching.

• karla says:

its always the same with shows, we love them so we get upset, why do people think we are wrong for that? its a show and sometimes you like what happens and sometimes you dont. Let people scream and say whatever they want, its the way they enjoy the show.You are not better than the “emotional ” people, you are just diferent, thats all. And saying that she doesnt need the fans to watch the show is not very smart because if nobody watches then there is no show. Everyones opinion is important and they have the right to say the things they feel. WE have the right. We can stop watching or keep watching, either way we can vent if we want. That makes fandoms be fun,lol And we know its a tv show…its not the only one I watch so I know, its not my life but I still like to enjoy it and yell if I want.

• Cassandra says:

@richard-youre missing the point. its not the killing of the character. its just the way the whole thing was executed. it was poor. when you kill off a major character, thats the end, you dont do it 20 mins in bc then you lose your viewers for the rest of the episode. i mean honestly, who cared about any of the new characters story lines after that when we lost a character we have loved for years? no one cares about april, teddy lol it was just poorly written. the episode had no where to go from there…even the greats make mistakes. but shonda has the summer to fig out a way to fix it :)

• Esme says:

Cassandra, you make good points. I agree that the episode was badly crafted. But the reality is, most people aren’t crying foul over that, they’re just pissed that Lexie died AT ALL. If she’d kicked it in the last five minutes, it would’ve been a more compelling episode, but shippers would still be whining like crazy over it.

38. Maybe she has no pulse or heart beet or whatever but isn’t dead just in a coma since in Csi sometimes u need a machine to detect it if they don’t bring her back I’m gone or I’ll watch it online so it doesn’t count as a view

39. Linz says:

ok seriously lexie no I’m sorry bring her back make it so she slipped into a coma that looked like death but hell no bring her back
    next this episode sucked it’s not the ga I remember b4 shondra new show started I’ve been watch ga from day one and this was just horrible season final i actucal fell asleep which never happens during ga season final I’m hoping that with the fan response the writers will make up some medical way to bring lexie back to life not a ghost
    I agree with others who said kill the red head she is annoying as hell why they brought her bk after she was fired is beyond me
    this was the most disappointing season final in ga history I hope this is not a start of more bad episodes for next seasons I feel that shondra may have bit off more then she could chew by writing for 3 shows since the new show her others have taken a drive I haven’t watched the new show it’s not my cup of tea
    private practice I hope that was the end cause that show was the first to tank I stopped watching it since it change times lots
    shondra I hope u read the post from your fans and fix this horrible mistake with lexie

40. Sam says:

I can’t believe it.. I won’t believe it! Lexie was the best character on the show and I loved her. I know everyones saying that their done watching the show but I’m just going to watch it and hope and pray that little grey comes back to life or something miraculous happens and she survives. I know its a long shot but I have to find out for sure and confirm it to myself that shonda really killed the most beloved character. It was just a awful decision but that’s what makes this show so damn good. I can’t tell you how much this show depresses me.. I’ve cried so many times from moments that this show had but this one was the worst. It really hit home and my heart just broke on two watching her die with her true love right in front of her.. Bravo on the most depressing, heart breaking, and earth shattering moment in tv history. I will miss lexie immensely :(

41. Or maybe she is brain dead but mer can’t let to so she keeps her breathing on the machines until in one episode she starts to have brain activity and is awake!!!!!!!!! Hey still in denial but if that does happen she should have major amnesia

42. Sam says:

I can’t believe it.. I won’t believe it! Lexie was the best character on the show and I loved her. I know everyones saying that their done watching the show but I’m just going to watch it and hope and pray that little grey comes back to life or something miraculous happens and she survives. I know its a long shot but I have to find out for sure and confirm it to myself that shonda really killed the most beloved character. It was just a awful decision but that’s what makes this show so darn good. I can’t tell you how much this show depresses me.. I’ve cried so many times from moments that this show had but this one was the worst. It really hit home and my heart just broke on two watching her die with her true love right in front of her.. Bravo on the most depressing, heart breaking, and earth shattering moment in tv history. I will miss lexie immensely :(

43. Kelly says:

I hope Shonda sees all of these comments! I have been watching this show since day one. I have never been so upset or disappointed in a single episode as I was tonight. To kill Lexi was just cruel to all mark/Lexi fans. You kill Lexi and keep irritating Kepner? How would one even think that was intertaining? I am just so mad it makes me never to want to watch Greys again. I wonder how many viewers they are gonna loose over this? Or if they even care. If they did they never would of killed off one the best characters on the show. Not to mention who knows who else is leaving. I am just sick and unhappy!

44. kurt says:

Umm is Teddy coming back?

45. Kristen says:

This was the most dissapointing Grey’s Anatomy Finale I have ever seen in 8 years. Shonda made a critical mistake killing Lexie one that may cost her many viewers. She was my favorite charater and her and Mark were my favorite couple on the show. She and Mark had so much more to do and by killing her we were cheated out of seeing a reunion that we had been teased about all season and one I have been waiting for for over a year. I can safely say this show is going downhill and I most likely will not be watching next season. Which is saying a lot after 8 seasons.

46. Trac says:

I’m officially done with this show for good now. It jumped shark with Lexie’s death. The only thing I felt from it was anger over wasting so much time watching this show. I guess it’s my fault for thinking I’d get a happy ending for Lexie & Mark when it was all said & done. What a complete disappointment!

47. Mdz says:

I am so mad..actually furious about this! Can’t believe they killed Lexie..Mrs Shonda Rimes has some really big issues..why can’t she ever give her characters some happy moments..I know in life not everything is happy and bad things happen..I know that..but I also know that in life not everything that happen is horrible either…Can’t believe she starts to bring Mark and Lexie together only to kill her!!!..so disappointed!!!… Lexie was my favorite character..I’m done with Grey’s Anatomy
    Ohh by the way..maybe next season They can kill Derek and Zola and that way Meredith can be really completely miserable :S

48. Kelly says:

izzie and now Lexie. Sooo over it

49. Val says:

Jackson/Kepner are the best!!!!!!! So happy they’ll be around for next Season!!! Glad Shonda got rid of all this Slexie-ness so the TRUE awesome couple of the show could be brought in…. Oh wait, they effing suck and so does Shonda! If she wanted to actually shock us she should have gone after Meredith/Derek or Callie/Arizona. This was just rude.

• Val says:

And the reason I said Mer/Derek & Callie/Arizona wasn’t because I don’t like them, but because they have had Seasons of happines, unlike Lexie/Mark, which has just been a joke at this point.

• Jewell says:

Absolutely RUDE. Kepner is wasted airtime and I was hoping SO HARD that she committed suicide. If you keep killing/shipping off fan favorites with horrible stroylines, you are bound to lose some viewers. I hope the show tanks now, and Shonda can blame no one but herself.

50. Cass says:

Wikipedia claims Shonda Rhimes got a screenwriting degree. Her professors must be crying tonight. Worst finale since the drek that was Battlestar Galactica.