Grey's Anatomy Boss Opens Up About Finale's Two Big Exits: 'It Made Me Sick, It Made Me Sad'

Grey's Anatomy Season 8 FinaleYou. Were. Warned.

Early Thursday, Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes issued the following alert to fans via Twitter: “Do not expect to be comforted or happy at end of the GA finale. I wrote it and even I found the ending to be very unsettling.”

She wasn’t kidding.

Although we’ve known for weeks that a Seattle Grace vet would meet an untimely end in this week’s plane crash-themed season climax, the death still packed a wallop — mostly because it came so early in the hour (defying finale convention). And, more importantly, because the character’s last name is in the title of the freakin’ show!

Yep, Rhimes went and killed Lexie!

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Truth is, Little Grey, played for five seasons by Chyler Leigh, didn’t stand a chance. Trapped beneath the wrecked fuselage, she was barely able to say a final goodbye to despondent ex Mark before she slipped away in the episode’s first 20 minutes. The death triggered a meltdown in sister Meredith (Ellen Pompeo really brought it, huh?) while Mark (an equally impressive Eric Dane) completely shut down. We would later discover that McSteamy was battling more than just a broken heart — he suffered something called a “cardiac tamponade,” as Cristina quickly diagnosed. She and Mer then performed some eww-inducing emergency surgery and saved his life. (Arizona and Derek also sustained serious injuries but, thankfully, survived.)

Meanwhile, back at Seattle Grace, Teddy nixed that Metcom offer and decided to remain at the hospital because she wanted to stay close to her dead husband’s ghost. And out of loyalty to Owen, who then turned around and fired her as a way to force her to take the job. (So long, Kim Raver!) Her exit would seem to pave the way for Cristina to become Seattle Grace’s new Cardio God.

UPDATE: After the West Coast airing, here is what Rhimes shared on Twitter about writing out Leigh and Raver:

Callie said it best tonight: Life changes in an instant. Turns on a dime.

This finale was incredibly hard to write. I did not enjoy it. It made me sick and it made me sad. We end the season not knowing ANYTHING about the future. Except for two things. We know we are definitely saying goodbye to two of my favorite people: Chyler Leigh (Lexie) and Kim Raver (Teddy).

I know this season’s finale had some surprises for viewers and the exit of Kim Raver was one of the big ones. But Kim’s series option was up and she was ready to give Teddy Altman a much-needed vacation. It’s been a pleasure working with someone as talented and funny and kind as Kim; everyone is going to miss her terribly. I like to imagine that Teddy is still out there in the Grey’s Anatomy universe, running Army Medical Command and building a new life.

I love Chyler and I love the character of Lexie Grey. She was an important member of my Grey’s family. This was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end. As far as I’m concerned Chyler will always remain a part of the Shondaland family and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future.

I’d write more but I’m honestly too sad. I don’t like life changing in an instant and turning on a dime.

Elsewhere in the finale:

* Jackson decided to take the Tulane job, leaving best friend and lover April to mourn what could’ve been. (Sorry, no way Jesse Williams is leaving.)

* Bailey and Ben officially got engaged in one of the episode’s rare happy moments.

* Alex revealed in a voicemail to Arizona that he was accepting the position at Johns Hopkins. (Sorry, no way Justin Chambers is leaving.)

Reaction? Were you blindsided by the big death? When Lexie took her last breath, did you immediately flash back to this TVLine story from last fall and wonder if there was a connection? Which performance were you most impressed by? How long do you think Mer, Der, Cristina, Arizona and Mark will remain stranded in the middle of nowhere? Hit the comments!

Watch More TVLine Videos!

1. Doris says:

Judging by the number of comments, Ms Rhimes clearly did a great job. Good or bad.. reviews and comments are still valuable. People expect so much from Season’s Finale. Yes I did not seat at the edge of my seat either, but I am Ok with that.
    There is a template, cliffhangers and voila !! Sounds easy huh ? wrong.

All production staff have a job to do, they take you on a journey within yourself, there si always “something” that I seem to relate with in Ms Rhimes writing… She is a great observer of human nature.

My least favourite character is actually Meredith Grey, yet she carries the show’s title, and yet I have never missed one episode. Purposely or not, she appears flaky, weak, childish, unreliable, never has a genuine relevant empathy about her, and NO Lexie, she was NOT a good sister. When was she even a sister to Lexie’s character ? Never supportive, or truly caring, always flawed, ego-centred, a bit airy-fairy lost in her day dreams … surgeon ? hmmm that’s a worry. oh… but who cares ? Her hair smells of lavender conditioner ! The only aspect of her character I find important is the narrative comments in the opening and ending credits… apart from that her character could easily go on a vacation…

My absolute favourite character this season was Kepner ! Sarah Drew is a gem of an actress and I would consider watching her grow in any project… she absolutely blew me away.
    Lexie – Mark dynamics was fab but a bit one-dimensional for me.
    Loved loved loved Teddy – Cristina – Owen dynamics.
    Callie – Arizona rocked it.
    Bailey – Ben, predictably good fun
    Loved loved loved Chief Webber – Adele – Jackson’s mum story line…

Characters I would love to see back : Izzie. I feel Karev and Izzie still have unfinished business… she also has a daughter put up for adoption as implied in one episode (series 3?) would love to explore a bit more there… wouldn’t you ?

2. Becka says:

Not to nitpick…but it isn’t “metcom ” they were talking about MEDCOM. (I know this because I worked under their command.)

3. Mae says:

Since Chyler had already decided to leave the only other option would have been to recast. I think that would have been worse.

4. I won’t lie, I was super upset over the killing of Lexie. I have been watching the show ever since it came on TV. Eight Seasons. I have been there for the deaths, the weddings, the loss, for everything and then Lexie was killed. I cried over her death because I loved her so much and she never got her happy life with Mark but knowing that is was both the actor’s and writer’s idea makes it a little bit better. Plus, death is real and sometimes you don’t always get the Happily Ever After. I’m looking forward to the Fall to see what happens next.

5. Missy says:

For the love of Pete, I named my daughter after Chyler’s character. She was smart, funny and adorable. April has been a simpering wreck since her character was introduced but SHE is still on? WTF? I stuck with the show after George was killed, but this was just too much! I get that Chyler wanted to leave. She’s an actress with a family so I totally get it. But to KILL off the only “real” character was in the poorest of taste.

6. Theo says:

I knew that Lexie was not working at Grey’s Anatomy much like making her work less, less and it could be for her departure as same thing as happened to George too.

7. Peg says:

With 13 pages of comments, I don’t know if this was addressed or not. You have 6 doctors, 2 with a small child, and not ONE cellphone among them??? Yes, things got scattered, but what are the odds that all 6 got lost. No one had one attached to their hip like they have the rest of the time.

8. Anita Brooks says:

Wish Lexie had Lived and THAT WHINING Arizona had died, I am SO SICK OF HER!

9. Mark Daume says:

I really thought that the plane crash would turn out to be a nightmare that one of the characters had.

10. Linda says:

This is all a bunch of crap ..if you are truly into the show and have been a follower from the beginning your gonna keep on watching…Burke left the show and no one remembers that ..just like a few years from now the show will introduce another character and soon Lexie and Teddy will be forgotton. Shonda will create another storyline that all will follow ..thats what keeps the viewers coming back

11. Jhahel says:

I think the writers of Grey’s Anatomy ran out of ideas to write good stories end of the season and always end up repeating the concept. How is it possible that in each end of the season have to end up with half the cast?… In place of Seattle Grace Hospital should call the Seattle Disgrace.
    I’m disappointed and the problem is I love this show

12. justin121 says:

I was weirded out by Lexie’s exit. I always thought Grey’s-verse was only big enough for one Meredith Grey. Lexie always seemed forced, but I never thought they’d write her out. Certainly didn’t think they’d kill her off. A step in the right direction. Next up: get rid of Callie, Owen, and DO NOT ADD ANYE MORE CHARACTERS. We’re back to: 5 interns + Baiey + McDreamy + McSteamy + Mrs. Dr. Shepard + Chief just like the good ‘ol days.

13. justin121 says:

Does anyone agree that Grey’s Anatomy jumped the shark / CPR’d the dear at the begining of season 4, and then reverse-shark-jumped at the season 6 shooting ender?

I’d like to know if that’s a thing, because it’d be the first time any show ever does that.

It was a hot mess since the CPR incident and was losing steam ever since, then, the past two years, this show is hot and relevant again.

14. BJ says:

I said, “You’ve got to be kidding me!” how much can happen to these same people? It was over the top!

• LINDA says:

yes it was, I recorded it luckely to watch about 3 times cant beleive what they did, Lexie and Mark went together perfectly. I want Izzie back I hear she would like to return and then Denny He never wanted to leave the show, these shows always bring people back from the dead. and I miss George t was a family to me that I invited into my home every week and loved all of it but now ? Its just weird. I aslo do not understand them cancelling Despate Housewives, so much more to get out of that show.i guess wewill have to wait and see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Amelia Hale says:

Arizona NEEDS to stay alive. I’d miss Cristina and Mark, but Arizona’s first. And I’m gonna miss Teddy a lot :(

16. Gina says:

I am so GLAD they got rid of Lexie!! She was so passive aggressive.. OOOOh I love George, No I love mark, No I love Alex, No wait I love Mark again, Forget that I want Jackson! Ugh.. so glad to be rid of her!

17. ASH says:

After watching one episode of Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix I became instantly “addicted” and I have been glued to the tv watching every single episode and I have to say that I am very disappointed to see Lexie go because she was one of the more realistic “believable” characters and even though it may have been a mutual decision between the writer and actress I think that she could have left the show in another way instead of dying from a plane crash, BUT then again, life is unexpected and can change in an instant, but speaking for myself that is why I think Mark and Lexie should have got their happy ending because we get enough of reality in everyday life so we should at least get the fairytale ending from our favorite television show <3 but I am still a huge fan of the show and I cannot wait for the next season of Grey's Anatomy!!!!!

• LINDA says:

I want Lexie back, Izzie, and Denny. Denny never wanted to leave the show, Alex treated Izzie like crap, lexie belongs with Mark. Come on People lets picket the show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. LINDA says:

This is one weird show that I grew to love. Welcomed them into my home every week and then this ???????????????????? Bring back Lexie, they can, bring back Izzie ( she wants to come back) and last but not lest bring back Denny he never wanted to leave the show so soon. They need to bring him bck as some hot shot surgeon. Now we have a show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Marge Browne says:

Didn’t Denny die?? I’d love to see Izzy back though. I read somewhere that she wouldn’t mind coming back, but some of the cast doesn’t want her back. Wonder why.

19. Kaylin says:

As an addicted south african greys fan… I am SO angry that you killed off lexie…”The right journey for her character to end” ?? … What a load of … Well you know what. This is extremely disappointing and I wish your creativity had gone a lil further.

20. Roger Boone says:

I don’t know… starting to get campy with extreme disaster stuff happening to the staff. I know it’s a TV drama and you have to do bus crash, plane crash, train crash, helicopter crash, but seriously…to the staff? Gunmen? All the time? The only really believable part of the show is Altman’s flashbacks from the war; I mean PTSD for everyone on the show right? Anyhow, I hope there is some balance coming to this type of stuff… I love to see real life things happen, like they got a job somewhere else… good way to say bye to an actor/actress. Plane crashed out in nowhere land in a mini-plane and only 2 deaths… I mean being smashed by the fuselage? How did that even happen? I guess now I have to wonder when I drive by my local hospital, wTF is going on in there =really.

21. Sarabi says:

Really? She kills Lexie but lets Izzie walk off alive?! REALLY Shonda?! She could at least write off Lexie as well, not kill her off. Oh, brother…

I hope Mark and Arizona don’t die. I also hope that Sara’s contract is renewed for two more seasons. Nowadays I only watch this show because of Callie and Cristina.

22. Whit says:

I think it’s funny how these people that are going to “stop watching” think that it makes some huge impact on greys anatomy. I’m sorry but nobody is going to miss you not watching the show and quite frankly nobody cares! It’s not your show and odds are….your going to watch again!

• Marge Browne says:

Why do people keep commenting that we “were warned”. So we knew someone was going to be leaving the show. Often when that happens there’s usually an opening for them to return — not kill them off! And of course we didn’t know it was going to be one of the most liked cast members. Why not kill off Jackson and/or Owen (puleese kill off Owen). I was a huge fan of the show, looking forward to it every week. Now I’m not so sure. Poor judgment Shonda.

23. I am sad that Lexie is gone. But I think instead of a death, a more riveting storyline would have been if she was paralyzed. There are no doctors with disabilities on the show, and it would have been interesting to see if Mark ‘Mr Perfectionist” could have overcome and helped her adapt to her new life in a wheelchair, if they would still build a life together, and could she continue her quest to be a surgeon.

PS please bring Izzy back for Alex.

Also, Meredith screaming for Derrick is natural and normal. She knew where Lexie was, knew that Mark and Christina were with her…and needed to find her husband.

But how do none of them have/or have found their cell phones? And it seems like Owen would have realized they hadn’t made it earlier. Or the Head of the team at the hospital they were traveling to. Or the FAA.

24. KiD says:

This is all is a big pile of BS!!!!!!!!! I would have tolerated a lot but this?!?!?! Killing off THE nicest person on the show is really a pill that i can’t swallow. Was watching only for her! So Bye-Bye ABC, thanks for screwing me over!!!

25. Barbara Schick says:

I feel this last episode was sloppily and hurriedly written. Perhaps Ms Rhimes was under pressure. I love/loved all the characters on Grey’s, even when I hated them. This episode should not have been hyped as it was. Perhaps the actors didn’t have time to properly prepare. I consider Ms Rhimes a genius and I was very disappointed. Bring back Burk, then Christina will have a real love interest! Bring back Izzy and Kerev and she will keep it interesting. Interesting that all these actors played their parts wearing scrubbs! They were on their way to Idaho. Maybe surgeons do travel in scrubs…………..

26. Jess says:

For me, the last episode was horribly written. I felt that the acting was pretty solid but the episode itself was no where near the level of previous season finales. As a huge Mark/Lexie fan, I felt Lexie didnt get the send off that she deserved. From memory, Lexie died within the first 20 minutes, at that point I thought what on earth is the point of watching the rest of the episode seeing as they had “built up” this huge death. Shonda had been repeatedly asked if Mark and Lexie would reconcile, so which she replied she couldnt definitively answer it, but it would be worth it. Sorry Shonda, Lexie dying under plane wreckage and Mark telling her he still loves her wasnt really the reconciliation I had in mind. As a loyal GA fan from the beginning I’ll probably still watch it, but not really with the same anticipation and excitment I used to have about greys.

• Marge Browne says:

Seems that about 99% of respondents feel the same way – Lexie should not have been killed off. If Shondra wanted to get rid of anyone there are a lot of other characters that do nothing for the show — at least the way she has them written. April is not a well-liked character. I don’t know how in the world she would be such a good doctor — she makes me frustrated. Owen and Christina don’t connect — he’s another character that just isn’t likable. Then there’s Kreb — always in a bad mood it seems. The only time he acted normal was when he was with Izzy. I read somewhere that the character they were getting rid of was Pompeo who wanted to leave the show so Meredith would be gone and Lexie would be the Grey in Grey’s Anatomy. Too bad that didn’t happen.

27. J. says:

Kim Raver is probably feeling like she dodged a bullet for getting out at the same time as Chyler Leigh because the killing of Lexie has almost completely overshadowed the fact that Teddy is also no longer a part of the series.

I’m surprised that this far into the summer, people are still talking so heatedly about the season finale. Lexie is gone and it’s sad. But the actress who portrayed her for FIVE YEARS (which is a decent length of time to stay in one place career-wise) requested to be written out of the series.

The fact that Shonda opted to kill her character probably meant that Chyler wanted out permanently and did not want the option to return in any capacity. This was the same when T.R. Knight requested to be let out of his contract. She killed George off, eliminating any possibility of his eventual return. Those complaining that other characters like Burke, Hahn, Izzie, etc. that left without getting killed need to remember that all of those departures were abrupt and out of Shonda’s ability to control (Isaiah Washington and Brooke Smith were both fired by the network and Katherine Heigl just never returned from her maternity leave) and it would seem like a huge cop-out even to the casual viewer to just make a passing reference to having “heard” about their character dying in some far away land. It would have been extremely uncharacteristic for Lexie to just leave and never be heard from again, especially only a year or two into her residency. What other options did that leave them with?

I understand that Lexie Grey was a much beloved character and people are sad to see her go. I count myself among these people. But there’s no reason for anyone to be placing blame or calling foul until you’ve walked a mile in either Shonda or Chyler’s shoes.

• Marge Browne says:

I don’t know why people keep saying that it was Chyler wanted out of the show. Shonda never claimed that — all she said was that she “talked it over” with Chyler and they decided together that that was the way to go. Possibly Shonda offered Chyler another part in something she’s writing?

28. toya says:

i just really want Arizona to live but its looking more and more bleak every time i think about it sorry mark but you should be the one to die let callie be happy for once

29. Julie says:

I loved Lexie too, but let’s face it. If she stayed and everyone had a happy ending, the show would get boring really fast. A lot of my favorite characters have disappeared but that’s what has us hooked, you know? The fact that it’s unpredictable. I still love the show and will continue watching.

However, a new show should be made about the afterlife. Or at least an episode. Yes, I miss the old characters that much.

• LINDA says:

They can all come back, Izzie wants to, Denny never wanted to die off he could come back as a Dr. with a differant name or as Denny’s twin no-one knew about. Lexie can still be saved by a faint pulse when they are rescued. I thought the person to die was going to be Arizona if she leaves it does not bother me im not invested in her like I was with Lexie and Mark deal.It took forever for Meredith and Derek to get together. For some odd reason Christinia and Owen go together not sure why but it seems to soften her and make her more vunerable.But what do we know we are just fans of the show, I will still watch but remeind myself its just a show. I think Shondra did a lot of damage by killing off Lexie and the rating may really fall off. Thats the message that will get to her when they do.She did not have to write it like she did that was her choice, she should of put the money out their to keep Lexie.

30. Angela says:

Best comment of the whole episode, when Cristina is like “Why do things like this keep happening to us, this is ridiculous!” Breaking the 4th wall. love it.

31. Kosi Mazwi says:

GUYS shonda messed up bigg time but lets remember she is a creative writter yall…she will make something happen .. I have faith in her..I think i have faith….

32. NikkDawg says:

They could’ve written Lexie out of the series WITHOUT KILLING HER OFF. Seriously?? If Izzie’s whiney ass can be sent off with the infinite possibility of returning, why couldn’t they leave that same opening for Lexie?? Death is so FINAL. Screw the ‘message’–I get that, but bring back my Lexie!!! I’m STILL mad, and I really don’t know if I can come back to GA this fall….

33. tinbite daniel says:

please do kill arizona . If u bring easy back it would be better for grey’s anatomy. I am sick of lexiye die i loved her so much she was best family in grey’s anatomy!

34. sittie-aina says:

i know its hard but be strong and i know its is first that your heart is broken when the person that you love is gone and etc

35. Barbara says:

I’m a bit amused at all of the people raging about Lexie’s death. Even though it made me sad, and I liked Lexie a lot, TV shows have to change and evolve. I wasn’t too interested in the love affair between Mark & Lexie…kind of boring, don’t you think?

I spent the whole episode wondering how on earth they could have a show with all of the residents gone to different parts of the country ;) That kind of kept my attention.

The most shocking part of the show was when Arizona wouldn’t stop screaming. It was annoying as hell, but it struck me that it was probably very realistic.

I wish Chyler Leigh luck. I hope she enjoys her family time! Good choice, girl. Gotta respect a woman who makes time for her family!

36. arlkj says:

That was the worst season ending episode ever aired. Will not watch the final season.

• Marge Browne says:

The last episode of last season was terrible — and the first episode sucked as well. So now Mark is dead too, Arizona is lying in bed depressed about having only one leg — and it was apparently Callie who cut it off — they’ve brought in a bunch of new regulars so it’s going to be awhile getting to know them (and they weren’t particularly pleasant to start), April was living on a farm, where she should have been, and wouldn’t you know, the hospital wants her back, Christina is working in Seattle (looks like she might be back soon though), Meredith has turned into a very unlikable person (to staff and viewers) — if that’s not bad enough, Owen is still there (to me, one who should have been let go). For me, it doesn’t look like I’ll be looking forward to the show every week, as I was in the past. I think Shonda blew it.

• Linda says:

Yes you are correct that was the worst season opeaners ever. I still held out hope Shondra would raise Lexie with a faint pulse, but no she had to kill everyone off that made the show very interesting,I still miss George and Izzie and of course Denny, I dont like the new interns im not vested in them like the original cast, we had history and emotions with these people, I was in shock last night as to how the season opened. Mark looking back and saying his life would be with Lexie, that was from Dereks wedding to Addison when Mark had not even met Lexie. Well i guess they are in cast heaven together. I could not believe Mark dying after a month on life support. So next week we see the whole story ? Shondra you are killing your fan base amost no-one is left, why did you have to kill them off with no hope of return ?Do you even read these posts ? You are nuts. Linda in Texas

• tonya russell says:

i am very sad to see mark go but i knew he didnt sign on for another season so i was prepared but i still cant believe it all the great characters are gone now like george izzy now lexi and mark that was the show i miss them all but know you have to do what you have to do when ppl decide they dont want to work on the show anymore it stinks but i get it

37. Di says:

Congratulations, Shonda Rhimes…you may have just successfully killed GA…first George and Izzy…then Lexie and now the eye candy of Eric Dane…have you lost your mind…I’ve watched GA from day 1…It is no longer a high priority to me…why do you people always ruin a good thing…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

38. Seven Stages of Grief says:

Why didn’t we get a proper elevator/Slexie/death scene like we had before when George died and Izzie nearly died, too. This is the one thing I don’t get. A one minute elevator scene is not a big deal for ABC, but a huge deal for all the Slexie shippers, who are still out there. I feel there was always this certain line, which Shonda never crossed until she send Lexie and Mark off. Never thought this was going to happen. I miss them!

39. sue says:

I was absolutley fuming when they killed Lexi off, but i feel better knowing it was her decision to leave. But after watching tonights episode and they killed Slone off i became INFURIATED. We all love those two characters, how about Mark got the dream job and they went off and lived happily ever after together…that is much easier to deal with and could in a few years return after they have done what they want to do. WHY kill off both characters, i cannot believe it, i have loved this series from episode 1, it is my number one show, but after seeing the 1st episode of the 9th series tonight, my first thought was “they are going to lose me this season.” I mean really, meridith is medusa???? and i seriously do not like the new interns….. I just dont see me liking this season at all and i am gutted, my number 1 is now ranked in bottom 10!!!

40. STOP FOCUSING ON LEXI! I’M STILL CRYING OVER MARK’S DEATH OKAY?!

41. i’m sad,i really need lexie back !

42. kripz says:

its 1 of my favourite series….
    i however have 1 suggestion dat y dnt u show sumthng abt paramedical fields like physiotherapy etc..

43. MaggieG. says:

I am crushed. I loved Lexie. Mark McSteamy is possibly dying. Derek may never operate again. Yang is still trying to be the strong one. Mer is still the little girl expecting the worse.This story has made me feel happy and sad,disappointed and angry. It has been a good medicine for me. I have remembered times that were very sad in my life and have been able to understand and cry out the sadness I’ve held inside so long. This may sound silly but, It’s made me feel better about the sad things in life.To be able to handle them better. I am disappointed because I love all the characters almost like family. I have become almost dependent on this show. You are a great writer and There are always those Actors who will want to take a break or move on to brighter parts in their lives. I have sworn to stop watching on several occasions and haven’t. I would love this to be a bad dream. But, please bring back my fix.You are an excellent writer.Thank you for sharing your talent on the screen.

44. The next wave will just have two boars that attack you and that’s it for
    that wave. Rarely does a NBA player play on his favorite team, so why should it have to happen here.
    Within your environment, you must evaluate whatever is influencing your behavior – the
    external pressures that currently distract and threaten you.