Grey's Anatomy Boss Opens Up About Finale's Two Big Exits: 'It Made Me Sick, It Made Me Sad'

Grey's Anatomy Season 8 FinaleYou. Were. Warned.

Early Thursday, Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes issued the following alert to fans via Twitter: “Do not expect to be comforted or happy at end of the GA finale. I wrote it and even I found the ending to be very unsettling.”

She wasn’t kidding.

Although we’ve known for weeks that a Seattle Grace vet would meet an untimely end in this week’s plane crash-themed season climax, the death still packed a wallop — mostly because it came so early in the hour (defying finale convention). And, more importantly, because the character’s last name is in the title of the freakin’ show!

Yep, Rhimes went and killed Lexie!

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Truth is, Little Grey, played for five seasons by Chyler Leigh, didn’t stand a chance. Trapped beneath the wrecked fuselage, she was barely able to say a final goodbye to despondent ex Mark before she slipped away in the episode’s first 20 minutes. The death triggered a meltdown in sister Meredith (Ellen Pompeo really brought it, huh?) while Mark (an equally impressive Eric Dane) completely shut down. We would later discover that McSteamy was battling more than just a broken heart — he suffered something called a “cardiac tamponade,” as Cristina quickly diagnosed. She and Mer then performed some eww-inducing emergency surgery and saved his life. (Arizona and Derek also sustained serious injuries but, thankfully, survived.)

Meanwhile, back at Seattle Grace, Teddy nixed that Metcom offer and decided to remain at the hospital because she wanted to stay close to her dead husband’s ghost. And out of loyalty to Owen, who then turned around and fired her as a way to force her to take the job. (So long, Kim Raver!) Her exit would seem to pave the way for Cristina to become Seattle Grace’s new Cardio God.

UPDATE: After the West Coast airing, here is what Rhimes shared on Twitter about writing out Leigh and Raver:

Callie said it best tonight: Life changes in an instant. Turns on a dime.

This finale was incredibly hard to write. I did not enjoy it. It made me sick and it made me sad. We end the season not knowing ANYTHING about the future. Except for two things. We know we are definitely saying goodbye to two of my favorite people: Chyler Leigh (Lexie) and Kim Raver (Teddy).

I know this season’s finale had some surprises for viewers and the exit of Kim Raver was one of the big ones. But Kim’s series option was up and she was ready to give Teddy Altman a much-needed vacation. It’s been a pleasure working with someone as talented and funny and kind as Kim; everyone is going to miss her terribly. I like to imagine that Teddy is still out there in the Grey’s Anatomy universe, running Army Medical Command and building a new life.

I love Chyler and I love the character of Lexie Grey. She was an important member of my Grey’s family. This was not an easy decision. But it was a decision that Chyler and I came to together. We had a lot of thoughtful discussion about it and ultimately we both decided this was the right time for her character’s journey to end. As far as I’m concerned Chyler will always remain a part of the Shondaland family and I can’t wait to work with her again in the future.

I’d write more but I’m honestly too sad. I don’t like life changing in an instant and turning on a dime.

Elsewhere in the finale:

* Jackson decided to take the Tulane job, leaving best friend and lover April to mourn what could’ve been. (Sorry, no way Jesse Williams is leaving.)

* Bailey and Ben officially got engaged in one of the episode’s rare happy moments.

* Alex revealed in a voicemail to Arizona that he was accepting the position at Johns Hopkins. (Sorry, no way Justin Chambers is leaving.)

Reaction? Were you blindsided by the big death? When Lexie took her last breath, did you immediately flash back to this TVLine story from last fall and wonder if there was a connection? Which performance were you most impressed by? How long do you think Mer, Der, Cristina, Arizona and Mark will remain stranded in the middle of nowhere? Hit the comments!

Watch More TVLine Videos!

1. TheRani says:

I understand that everyone is upset because of Lexie’s death but lets look at it objectively: how many times did Sloan and Lexie get together and then break up for whatever reason? Fact is there was no storyline left for Lexie. At least nothing that could actually help the ratings of the show. I’m sorry Lexie had to leave because Mer really deserves some kind of family happiness after all the losses she had to deal with. Shonda Rhimes did what was in the interest of her show (although not necessarily in the best interest of her fans and characters).
    I did expect Arizone to be killed off, because lately she had no role in the grey universe whatsoever. I’m not sorry Altmann had to go since she too had no storyline left.

• Sarah says:

no storyline for lexie? she’s meredith’s sister and a doctor.
      if there’s no storyline for her there’s none for anyone.

april failed her test and was fired, there’s no story for HER. she should have died
      she the worst character ever. everyone hates her.

• TheRani says:

Look at it from the creators point of view not from yours. Yes, they can’t have her do more than she’s already done. She was with THE top two guys…actually she was also with Alex Karev, so yeah, there is nothing more they can have her do except for going back to Mark and they could milk it a little but the ratings would go down faster than you’d think. Why? Because we fans got what we wanted and we get bored or at least that’s what the creators presume. I bet that’s what Shonda meant when she said she and Chyler Leigh came to this decision together. No matter how much they’d try to make it interesting in the end it would be a repetition.

2. Alicia says:

Just watched in Australia and SOBBED! I agree that if you love Grey’s you love it. We didn’t give up when George died – it’ a journey. Did any one else want her to baically jump up from the dead??

3. kabg says:

The acronym that Hunt and Altman were using was ‘MEDCOM’-not MetCom. And he explained it to Bailey in the operating room-it stands for US Army Medical Command-there isn’t a “T” in any either of those words.

• Robin says:

Exactly! I hadn’t seen this and just posted below. Also, someone who served one tour is now running MEDCOM? Hardly.

4. cas says:

Okay so I never like Lexie and Mark together until this year, when I feel Shonda pushed us to like them. Why would she make everyone hope and want a reconciliation just to kill her off? It is kind of mean. Ugh I am so angry.

5. Kendal says:

I wish she hadn’t killed off Lexie. I liked the relationship between her and Meredith. It didn’t make the character of Meredith so cold.

• aligningfury says:

There was barely a relationship between them. Meredith’s *true* sister is Cristina. She would have never stopped crying if Cristina died. It always felt pretty cold between Meredith and Lexie. But that’s just my opinion.

6. Leslie says:

It might have been better to give Lexipedia amnesia and have her forget Mark. I don’t know why Shonda Rhimes doesn’t just kill off the good characters, but mutilates them! George gets run over by a bus, Lexie gets crushed by a plane. I mean, come on!

I think I will be turning my FULL attention to another show on Thursday nights at 9 from now on. I hear Glee has moved to that time slot, so that will be easy.

7. Angie says:

It never ends really well for the character when the actor wants to leave. Personally, I’d have rather Lexie and Mark leave Seatlle and be happy ever after. Once the character of April was brought on, I knew there could not be both an April and a Lexie. They are too alike and one had to go. But again, this was brought on by the actress wanting to leave.

8. Jimmy says:

I have always loved this show and the genius of Shonda and the fact that this wasn’t my ideal ending doesn’t change my feelings at all. It’s a testament to some great writing and acting to elicit such an emotional response from fans. While keeping in mind that ultimately, it is just a tv show, I understand how we get sucked into the fictional world of Seattle Grace but to say such hateful and ugly things about the people involved is just a low class response. You don’t have to love what Shonda wrote or what decisions she, the other writers involved, and the actors (in this case Chyler Leigh) came to but she is still a person at the end of the day doing a job which otherwise we largely enjoy the results of. So commenting on your feelings about this episode is one thing and sharing your emotional response is the whole point of the “community” of watching tv, but getting personal and hateful is beyond shameful. So yes, I was saddened by the death of Lexie but will keep watching this show until the last word is spoken in the last scene because this story isn’t over. So I’ll just trust in Shonda and her team to continue doing what they do and wish them the best in doing it.

9. Cheri says:

I am done watch Grey’s. Lexie was favorite character with so many stories that could have been written for her.

10. Donna says:

I was hoping it was someone’s dream and next season we would see everyone alive/well and having normal everyday drama instead of the over-the-top tragedy. But after reading the latest from Shonda I guess it’s true — Lexie is gone basically because the actress is moving on. WOW! Thursday night was a one, two punch for me. First Joshua on AI, then right into Lexie on GA. I’m numb.

11. Bobbie says:

I was hoping the annoying Arizona would have been killed off. Lexie, unfortunately, had the writing on the wall when you notice how little she was involved in major story lines this season, She was more prominent in the earlier season but for the most part, they stopped writing for her and I felt like she was becoming more of an after thought or she may have ticked off Shonda so she had to go the way of Izzie Stevens. And even so, Grey’s has been off my list for a while now because of much of the forced relationships Shonda has been shoving down the viewers throats. Bailey and the guy she’s diddling is not important and is a bad match. I liked it better when she was dating the nurse. He was more genuine versus this pompous schmuck. It seems like there is a class system to dating on this show, if you’re not a doctor, you’re not in a serious relationship. Bring back Bailey’s nurse and lose this guy, ugh! The show has jumped the shark way too many times and it did it for me when Callie took back Arizona after that horrendous embarrassing public dressing down and break up at the airport and they get back together like nothing ever happened. If this had been a guy doing that to a woman, they’d want him castrated.

12. Eric says:

I thought the finale was very well done. It was suspenseful, heart rending, and well acted. If this doesn’t get Ellen Pompeo her long deserved Emmy nomination I am not sure what will. I am surprised to see all the negative comments and overall vitriol that is being spewed all over this message board. I mean, I shouldn’t be because I am pretty sure that is what Internet message boards were created for. I think Grey’s has been on a pretty stellar run since about the middle of Season 6 and I, as a fan since episode 1, am excited to see it continue. Lexie’s death was sad and tragic, but it opens up a wealth of storytelling opportunities for everyone, especially Meredith and Mark (who has been really under utilized this season.). Ms. Rhimes was upfront that this was going to be a tough finale to watch. No one was misled or lied to. The one thing I am curious about and that no one has really brought up in post interviews or commentaries is what Derek said before he passed out. A lot of us heard Rose. I’d like to know for sure because if that is what he said and if Meredith or Cristina caught it, that is not good.

• greysfan says:

I’ve watched that part a few times over and he definitely said Rose when Cristina was saying she wants everyone conscious. Not sure what it means but we will find out i hope.

13. Heather says:

Mer/Der are staying..so are all of the others. Guess who is NOT staying? ME. I’m finished with this show. I have been a faithful watcher through the mess that was Denny’s ghost. Seriously…Denny’s ghost!! How lame was that storyline? I have watched through everything including the Mark/Lexie breakups. I have hung on to the lies that Shonda spouted when she promised a Mark/Lexie (McSexie) reunion. FOR WHAT? She was my favorite character.

I had been eagerly awaiting this finale. I even told people at work that I had to get off on time so I didn’t miss any of the finale. Because even though Grey’s Anatomy irritated me to no end most of the time, I had to watch it. Lexie had just declared her love for Mark and I had to see what they did with it. This was horrible.

Mark/Lexie were the reason I kept watching the show. I will never watch anything created by Shonda again.

14. I’m so sad about lexie dying and to be honest will probably stop watching the show bc she was a character that I really watched for. There are petitions all over to “save lexie grey” or “bring back Lexie”. I would start signing them bc maybe Shonda will listen to her fans and write a miracle.

• aligningfury says:

Not sure about petitions. Judging by the way she speaks to her “angry” fans, she doesn’t like to be criticized. (but who does, really? I meant to say that she doesn’t take it well)

• Cindy says:

Honestly, I will be one who won’t really miss Lexie and definately not Teddy. I liked the Christina and Owen match but when they broke up, I didn’t stop watching the show. It is still a good show. In fact, I think its gotten better this season. Hated the Lexie/Mark relationship. It was annoying.

15. salim says:

oh really shonda you feel sick and sad how do you think we feel huh??

16. Daisy says:

You people are so stupid. Clearly Chyler Leigh wanted to leave the show, the signs were there. Shonda granted her wish, what else was she supposed to do? Same with Teddy, both actresses were ready to leave the show. Was she supposed to force them to stay? Yes it’s sad but it’s TELEVISION, not real life.

17. Rin says:

It’s always a “mutual” decision when an actor leaves. That’s called PR. I’m not saying it’s not but the way it’s said is like Chyler said she wanted out. My problem with Grey’s is they kill off the characters and actors we like. Through all the Izzy drama, it made me mad they killed George when they had an open out for his character (should have killed Izzy) but gave Izzy and Burke, both open outs. It is possible for BOTH of them to return. Lets be honest Rhimes isn’t stupid enough to bring either of them back (I hope, since Heigl wants to come back because as many films as she’s been in, majority have FLOPPED or done just ok because of her co-star not her), Heigl has become a diva. I only tuned in this season because it was supposed to be the end of it. Sounds like Grey’s is going to pull an ER, where all it takes is killing off one character over another and BAM! ER wasn’t the same after Greene died and Lexie isn’t that big a character but she is a FAN FAVORITE. I find it hilarious that Arizona is far from it but they insist on keeping her. Trust me, April and Arizona are so ANNOYING. Callie could do a million times better yet they saddled her with a character who is ANNOYING. Between Alex, April and Arizona it is obvious names on the show starting with an A are ultimately worthless story wise (Arizona) or whiney (Kepner) or self-centered (Karev) or overrated (Avery)

18. AL says:

Like many others who have commented, I’m very invested in this show and it’s characters. I’ve been waiting 2-3 seasons for Mark and Lexie to get back together and now Lexie is gone. This lackluster finale was just the thing to finish up a lackluster season. I’m very disappointed with the way the show has gone and probably won’t return to watch season 9. It was a plane crash. None of them should have survived. The fact that most of them did, makes me believe the plane crash was a last ditch effort plot device. Honestly, if I were Chyler Leigh, I’d want out too. She had the show’s character with the most potential and nothing had been done with her in several seasons. Why spend time away from your family for that? Grey’s used to have some really smart story lines and writing. I miss THAT show.

• Summer says:

Completely agree with everything you said. I really only kept up with this show for a Mark/Lexie reunion. Hope to see Chyler Leigh on my TV screen again soon, somewhere far away from grey’s.

19. Abel says:

This is exactly why she did it! Because it got more of a reaction out of people! If it would have been Arizona then it really would have been a dull finale. Lexie left more room for a storyline dead or alive and as for her dying within the first 20 minutes. She didn’t want to drag it on until the last second of the show like ANY other drama show would do. She does what’s unexpected and what shocks people and that is why I will still watch the show even tho lexie was one of my favorites!! Teddy was totally unexpected. Hopefully Addison comes back late next season being that private practice is ending.

• Alex says:

I don’t think it would have been dull if Arizona died – a lot of people, including myself, like Arizona but can deal with her not being on the show. The death of Lexie was just one of many things that was wrong with the finale. And I agree, they should bring back Addison. She’s much better in Grey’s than in PP.. she’s too whiney and annoying in PP.

20. ice says:

i don’t believe that it was a consensual decision. I do not believe that chyler agreed with shonda’s decision because at one point during the season, chyler expressed her willingness to be the “voice” of grey’s anatomy if ever ellen opted not to renew. so what shonda said in her tweet does not make any sense. Besides, her tweet is like adding insult to injury, like putting a band-aid on a wound that scrapping it off in an instant. She feels sad, how pathetic. Lexie’s blood is in her hands, it was her decision, she holds the power to decide lexie’s fate yet she killed her off and now she’s expressing how terrible she felt. that is just crap and manipulative. No one would believe that B.S shonda! perhaps, shonda is smiling from ear to ear as she delights in people’s misery. Is it an ego-booster to make a lot of people depressed? knowing you can have that effect on people? shame.. shame.. shame..

21. steph004 says:

I’ve never cared about Mark and Lexie at all. I didn’t dislike them. They just didn’t do it for me…until recently. I’ve really come to root for them over the last few episodes. I feel bad for their fans who’ve been waiting years for some resolution. Killing Lexie just seems cruel on Shonda’s part. And honestly, I don’t know what we’re tuning in for at this point. There are no good couples to enjoy. Mer and Der…love them, but boring. Callie and Arizona…way too much screen time and boring. Owen and Cristina were interesting for about two episodes. I always thought he should be with Teddy and she should be with Avery anyway. Sorry, I know a lot of people like them. I don’t know why writers (and I mean all TV writers) can’t understand that a good finale makes you want to watch next season. It doesn’t decimate you and make you never, ever want to watch TV again.

22. ber says:

never watching greys again seriously shonda and the writers made a stupid move!! especially the way she did it! killing off lexie in the first 20 minutes = killing off at least half of your viewers

23. Celi says:

My goodness, there are some dramatic folks here. Shonda is a showrunner, not a real murderer and she was pretty honest about what we were going to see yesterday. Lexie however was never really a standout, and I loved Sloan so much more when they weren’t together. She was never really truly on board with what he wanted out of a relationship and they were never going to work. Love can’t fix it all – look at Owen and Christina! I’m sad that Lexie passed on, but if it makes Chyler happy, then I wish her all the best on Broadway, and I will stay tuned for next season!

24. Robin says:

I am a psychologist with the US Army and work for the Army Medical Command. For accuracy sake in your reporting, it’s “MEDCOM” not “Metcom”. It is short for medical command. Also, the head of the Army Medical Command is the Army Surgeon General, a 3-star general and someone who has been with the Army usually 25-30 years and has been in some very senior post (the current Army Surgeon General, LTG Horoho was the head of the entire Army Corps of Nurses before this). If they wanted her to come be a cardio-trauma consultant, ok, but they should at least be somewhat realistic!

25. Amy says:

Chyler Leigh clearly wanted to leave the show. What was SR suppose to do? Say no, there are a couple hundred people who can’t grasp this is a TV show and will be angry? No, she created a dramatic way for her to go. Just like when George left. Drama on a TV drama, who what have thought.

And if you only watch a show with a cast this large for one character or a couple that isn’t even together, maybe it is time for you to leave.

And how arrogant to name off other characters that “should” have died. Just because you like Lexie more than Arizona, doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t love her or Arizona/Callie aren’t there favourite couple… a couple actually together.

And sure, Kim Raver was leaving, but Lexie dying has a far bigger impact that Teddy dying. And again… this is a drama.

26. k10 says:

I remember when Izzy left the show and I was absolutely heartbroken. So heartbroken that I took a break from GA for about 3 years. And I wasn’t interested in the Private Practice spin off at all until recent years. I was once a fan that said “I’M DONE” and yet I came back. Grey’s is such a good show that it sparks outrage and sadness and dissapointment, and that’s what we come back for. We aren’t in it for the love story, we’re invested for the life stories that spin on a dime. My only gripe would be that it wasn’t a 2 hour finale. I think they could have really played out Lexi’s death over a 2 hour slot. A part of me can’t wait till it’s alllll over so I can buy the big box set and cry my eyeballs out over a long 3 day weekend.

27. James says:

I’m glad lexie died. She was a drain on the show. Now mark can be who he is supposed to be… Mc steamy. Now Owen can afford April to stay. Arizona will quit and Karev will stay. And Avery will stay for April.

28. Wendee says:

I figured Lexie was doomed considering she FINALLY told Mark she still loved him. I look forward to seeing how Lexie’s death effects everyone. I’m betting Mark breaks up with that Julie chick (which won’t make me sad). I just wonder are there any characters left that haven’t been seriously injured in some way?

29. webbthistle says:

Who’s Lexie? Been watching for three years and she never made an impression on me.
    Oh hum…Not an impressive season finale.

30. rickinnj says:

Killing Lexi…Big mistake. Huge!

31. ice says:

shonda, listen to the fans of Grey’s anatomy! they are the reason why you made it this far. Your stubbornness and self-indulgence will eventually backfire, trust me. when time comes, you would want Grey’s anatomy to leave the air like how FRIENDS exited not like O.C., ER. Quit being stubborn, or else a desolate downward spiral is inevitable. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

• Cindy says:

REALLY???? It’s only t.v. show…not real like.

• greysfan says:

If producers and writers listened to fans many shows would be off the air more quickly than not. Sorry but this was unexpected and that is what made it so good. Yes it made people angry and sad and what ever but this is what drama is supposed to do. If would be very bland if they didn’t. Enjoy it while we have it because when its gone its gone and there is no more. (aka Desperate Housewives). Drama is meant to divide and conquer at the same time. Personally it sucked they killed Lexie i have said that but the moments leading to the death was what drama was all about. Mark declared his love then she passed away. Happens on so many dramas in so many different circumstances so deal with it.

As for a possible death in the premiere episode i am not ruling that out either. There are many lives still in danger so anything could happen.

32. Char says:

BRING BACK LEXIE in a plot twist please! She was an uplifting character – perhaps even my favorite!

33. NCSouthernBelle says:

HATE that she killed off Lexie, but it was true drama at its best. Honestly, between the finales of Once Upon A Time, Desperate Housewives, Revenge, and Grey’s, my tear ducts can’t take any more sadness. Sheesh!

34. leia maia says:

Lamento a fauta de respeito para com nos os telespectadores, eu esperava todos os captulo que o senhor diretor fosse fazer da mini grey e mark uma hitoria feliz um final feliz mas voce me decpecinou voce esta destruindo a minha grasa de acistir grey anatomy espero que voce reveija seus conceito va fasa uma pesquisa de boca em boca descubra o que o pulblico espera a hitoria pode ate ja esta escrita mas para um grande diretor sempre pode rescrever a hitoria nao decepcione o seu publico espero novidades …

35. S says:

I am okay with Lexie dying if that is what the actress and producer wanted. Her character has been flailing for a while and while she was sweet and had some good scenes the show will go on. I was just extremely let down by the episode itself. It was flat. I did not think Lexie’s death scene was appropriately poignent. I did not cry. It happened so fast and without any pomp or circumstance really. The jumping back to SGMW in threory was compelling but the way it was done made the episode jumpy and disjointed. While I undertand the goal was to show the mundane and life going on for those not in the know while the other 1/2 of the cast was fighting for their lives, the way it played out did not work. I have watched GA from the beginning and I get that it is a soap opera disgused as a medical show so this stuff will happen, but the tragedy stuff has been done better. I did not feel the emotional turmoil the press and Shonda promised of this episode at all. I did appreciate the nod to Lost and the quirky comments about the other tragedies. I also think that Sondrah Oh gave another compelling performance, her shock at the episode opener and confusion about her shoe was one of the best pieces of this episode. Stepping away from my disappointment about how the episode presented itself, I do see and appreciate that Shonda has set things up beautifully for next season. She has created a way for each of the departing characters to stay in Seattle and at SGMW. And that really was what she needed to do. I will watch the season primere out of curiosity but I am not sitting here waiting with baited breath for the return of GA in the fall.

36. Ethan says:

I’m fine with Lexie dying. Obvious her character had run its course. It’s ALWAYS about Mark with Lexie. She never has any storyline of her own.

37. Anon says:

Think the big problem that had started to become evident is that in the story Mer and Lexie are maybe 4 or 5 years apart in age, but in real life the difference is closer to 13 years. When she started, EP was a very youthful 34 y.o. playing mid 20s, which at the time was perfectly believable. But now she is 42 and playing someone in her earliest 30s and it kind of doesn’t work as well when she is standing next to her much much younger sister, and that is even if we account for Lexie being a prodigy who skipped grades etc. EP is beautiful and a very good actress, but in every scene with CL in the last two years it became more and more obvious that if the timing of their educations is to be believed, something wasn’t adding up. And with EP renewing her contract there was less need to keep the spare around.
    Unfortunately the Lexie character had tons of potential and was indeed still so young it could have gone anywhere. I was loving the unrequieted story line with Mark, the new brother sister relationship with Derek and seeing both men care about Lil Grey in ways that were paternal, pure. To have those developments end so abruptly seems wasteful.
    Also if the timing of SR’s tweets is to be believed, and they do seem real, she actually wrote this with what appears to have been very little time to spare. I remember seeing some of her tweets last month as she was chronicling her writing, and thinking, this thing airs May 17 and it isn’t even scripted yet? She does work hard, and the writing on Scandal and even PP this week was awesome. But this script seemed disjointed in places.
    Also thought it was strange that for the first time i ages there were no promo appearances at all by by PD and EP. No one in fact except Chandra Wilson, who did some b-list talk shows, did any PR. Other than SR’s social media PR it seemed like none of the cast was really behind this finale. That could have been because of scheduling and PD car-racing etc. and their taping season running long. But it was odd.
    Which is sort of the vibe of the whole thing. It just feels like a reboot of some sort, like they had to do things for all kinds of reasons not truly driven by creative forces, and this is what we ended up with. They can’t all be gems.

38. Serena says:

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!! Lexie was my favorite!!!!!!!!! So sad she’s gone!!!!!!! I shall now go on youtube and watch all my fav Mark/Lexie scenes and refuse to believe she’s dead!

39. lothiriel says:

I wasn’t a real fan of the show, I watched the first 2 seasons then I stopped, no longer interested. I only come back during S05 when I heard abt Mark & Lexie, and since S05 I watched the show for those 2.
    I know that maybe Chyler L. wanted to stop being a part of the show, but a writer doesn’t write for the actors, he/she writes for the show. There must have been ways to help her leave the show, or at least give more SL to her before the end. In this show when someone wants to leave (hum ” georges”) the writers don’t give him a SL for an entire season and kill him at the end ! Yeah great !

But what hurts me more is that for 3 seasons, the writers told ML to stay, to hope, to believe in ML and in the end what do we get :
    – Lexie say she loves mark to him finally ! He says nothing
    – next ep : nothing !
    – next ep : she dies !

And we were told we will get “beautiful moments” ?! Where were they ? I didn’t see them ! Was it Lexie’s “ILY” was that what we should be happy for, as ML fan ? I wasn’t.
    And if death is “bittersweet” for show writers, I personaly think it is tragic.

Anyway, i finally lost the last reasons to watch this show now, now i won’t be lied to again by Grey’s writers.

40. Alex says:

If Chyler Leigh wanted to leave then fair enough, but they didn’t have to kill her off. It would have been better for her character to leave with the option of coming back in the future. I would really like to see a Grey’s finale that doesn’t have a traumatic event because that’s what it has been like for the past few seasons. Can’t they just do one normal episode with cliffhangers? Why does someone always have to die?

41. Sarah says:

I’m not happy with Lexi dying. I know that its just a show, but I have been watching since the beginning. I live for my shows.. lol But last night there were four people I did not want to see die, and one of them did. I think if she was going to leave the show they should of had her get a great job somewhere, not die. I hate that her and Mark did not end up together, but with her dying it makes it even worse. I really loved her character, and not sure if I will watch it again in the fall. If they had to have someone die, there are a few the show and I would not miss. I hope the writer sees that many people are not happy, and will lose viewers.

42. Tinemi says:

I’ll keep on watching Grey’s Anatomy. I’m a fan! Yes it is sad that little Grey wont be there but that means new stories and new blood. Maybe they’ll present the other Grey sister (remember her? also a doctor?) And as the statement says “it was a decision Chyler and I made” so: Stop hating Shonda!!

43. LaurenMC says:

I understand if Chyler Leigh wanted to leave the show after 5 seasons… but to end Lexie’s storyline in a gruesome death was really upsetting. We already had to witness that with George. This was not necessary. She could have been written out any other way, leaving room for her to one day come back and end up with Mark at the end of the series, or whatever. She did not need to die under a jet engine. Also, for Christ’s sake, who else in Meredith’s family are you going kill, Shonda?! Her mom, her “stepmom,” George (yes he was family!), and now her sister? She has been through ENOUGH!

44. Cate says:

I honestly think I’m done with the show. They gave us such a huge blow! Its not as if they prepared us or anything it was like “lets get everyones hopes up and have Lexie tell Mark she loves him and then have Mark realize her loves her too and then KILL HER!” It was completely unnecessary to kill her off. If they knew she had to go they should have changed the story line before instead of getting our hopes up just to have them shot to hell!

45. Amaia says:

Thankfully it wasn’t Arizona. But I’m sad because Lexie was great… Although this season she had been quite missing…. And Kim Raver made a great job during the time she was in the series, she’s a brilliant actress and I honestly think she deserves to get a main character in another series. RIP Lexie, bye bye Tedy, you both’ll be missed.

46. Globug62 says:

I understand that Chyler wanted to leave, but her character did not have to be killed. Additiionally, they could have done use Slexie fans a solid and not waited until the second to last episode for Lexie to tell Mark how she felt. So irritating.

47. doug bundy says:

How stupid to kill off Lexie!After 2 more years you will destroy your show like alot of other huge hit shows!How???By making stupid decisons,not paying actors,and by not realizing what your fans want and love.!Another show I love that will be gone for the same reasons you people destroy all good t.v. shows……idiot decisons!!!!!!!!!!

48. Alyssa says:

I have a lot to say on the subject. First of all, because this point is quick and easy, a lot of other people commented on ellen’s “horrible/annoying” acting, but are you people really so simple-minded not to see her character is in shock? Of course she’s going to be ranting off at the mouth, not to mention the enormous gash on the back of her head no one seemed to notice or mention.
    Next I wanted to say, I am really disappointed about Lexie dying and agree that her death was not given the relevancy it deserved. The emotional aspect was touched on so briefly I didn’t even have time to cry (and I cry at emotional commercials for god’s sake). Maybe I was in a bit of shock myself??
    Lastly, I noticed some others had the same thought I initially had, that Lexie might not be dead for several reasons: her death was given very little attention, there is so much possible story left for her character, Arizona was coughing up blood and so much of the finale seemed to honor her (karev’s message on her vm and torres’s point of saying things change, etc), also Torres and Arizona’s story was getting a little boring. I really thought it was going to be her. I like Arizona but Lexie has a lot more mystery and intrigue to offer. Hopefully the actors/writers have a change of heart by next season and they find a way to keep lexie around.

49. atkachyk says:

I didnt think the episode was that great. Anti-climatic. And Im still holding on to the fact that Mer is dreaming this WHOLE thing. I am in disbelief about Lexie. I have been dying for her and Mark to get back together all season :(