It's Official: Game Over For Tia Mowry, Pooch Hall

The Game Pooch Hall Tia MowryThe Game is losing two key players.

Tia Mowry and Pooch Hall, who portrayed married couple Melanie and Derwin, will not be returning to the BET series as regulars for Season 6, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

“As a result of Pooch’s involvement on a new project [Showtime's Ray Donovan], BET is in the process of reworking the casting and storyline of the show,” the network said in a statement. “While we will miss the incredible adventures of Melanie and Derwin on The Game, we appreciate all of their hard work, the laughs and wish them both the best on their future endeavors.”

The network is hopeful that both actors “will make several guest appearances.”

Mowry broke the news of her departure yesterday, tweeting, “Just wanted to let all my fans know that I will not be returning to The Game for Season 6. It was an incredible run and I had lots of fun.”

Back for Season 6 are Wendy Raquel Robinson, Coby Bell, Hosea Chanchez, Brandy Norwood and Barry A. Floyd.

1. Honey B says:

Though BET picked up The Game the writers are still the same. The comments makes it seem as if BET has anything to do with who is writing the show. If you look at the credits it’s the same people since the CW. I have been avidly watching this show since its pilot and although the characters and story lines have changed it’s still a good show. The last season made Derwin and Mel a set of self-consumed jerks not willing to make a sacrifice for their relationship so I think it’s time for some more actors to calm some of the stereotypical portrayals of the show. Maybe they can bring in a new couple like Mel and Derwin new to the Sabers who ultimately becomes the star of the show. Who knows but I will be tuning in for the next season.

2. tara says:

i personally think its alittle ungreatful for them to leave the show so soon. after we the viewers fought so hard for the show to show to come back… they did us dirty.. i understand them having new ventures and money to be made but damn.. they should stayed on for to more seasons and then the entire cast should part ways… i love the whole cast but i dont think it can hold its own with out pooch and tia… but we shall see next fall… best of luck to them both

• Jennifer says:

If company A offered you 100,000 per yr, & company B offered you 750,000 a yr, which would you go with? Come on people, things in our lives change that require us to make difficult decisions we may not want to, but sometimes have too. If I have never lived more than 20 minutes drive away from my parents and siblings, but I get offered a job 3,000 miles away that triples my salary, hasta la vista family. As much as I wouldn’t want to leave them, I have to tell myself to do what’s best for my family (spouse & children). So let’s just wish them the best, and hope the characters will be recast, and make the role their own.

3. Danny says:

Ugh no point in lookin at the game now

4. Lash n Dash says:

The show revolved around Mel and Derwin, BET needs to step it up and do what they need to do to keep them on the show… I am a die hard Game fan so I would definitely like to see the show continue on for seasons to come…

5. Lash n Dash says:

The show revolved around Mel and Derwin… I was definitely interested in seeing their relationship go to the next level and show us that black marriages can stand the test of time… BET also needs to step it up and do what they need to do to keep them on the show and the writers actually need to pay attention to what the viewers want and make the show more suspenseful next season…

6. Gwendolyn says:

There’s no game without Melanie and Derwin!!!!

7. Johnny says:

This show is officially over. It can’t last without derwin and Melanie. It was the best part of the show. Now its gonna get cancelled. I can’t believe it they should re think that decision

8. seanveno says:

I was actually tired of watching them 2

9. Shy'Tianna says:

Those was the star cast, I can’t believe them smh

10. xzryil says:

It is not Bet fault they can not afford to pay the salaries increase requested by Pooch and Tia, blame Viacom. They would have come up with the money for one of their other channels or shows they would have increased the budget. Can not blame Pooch and Tia for wanting their money either. I am excited to see how the story line will change. There are many actors/actresses out there who can easily fit into the role and bring new drama. It actually makes it seem more real just like the real NFL…players eventually move on.

11. Atiyah says:

Melanie and derwin was the best it was very interesting and I really hope they come back.Derwin was a really great man and I hope I hav e a man like that when I grow up its like a miracle.i like derwin and he is good but melanie is a very goid actor and I would like to meet rhem both face to face

12. ramani nixon says:

We do need a positive black show that’s not a realty show!! But I love melanie and derwin. You don’t change main characters of a show there’s always drama. Just like everyday life. That’s what keeps us watching. They should of made drama between derwin and janae trying to move away with there son. They have a lot of angles they could cone out. I think BET needs better writers. Sorry but its true they have a good script then they take it the wrong way. And I can’t see Laurence London as a main character I like her but she can’t act. Some things should be left alone.

• ramani nixon says:

If it was a money thing I bet you they would of got paid if we was on there acting like fools. Or making us look bad.

13. ccbaby says:

I think we should just change the actors nt get rid of the characters all together

14. There’s no point of having another series Kelly gone now Melanie and Derwin gone. Yall suck!!!! I love you Melanie, Derwin, Tasha, Jason & Malik.

15. Heidi smith says:

Man I’m pist Melanie and Derwin made the game interesting although the other character did just as much they will be truly miss and the game will never be the same but I will still check it out and give the new cast members a chance it’s more than fair..

16. raven says:

I really hate dis please dont leave tia and pooch i love all the show will never be the same again love all!!

17. raven says:

I hope yall make dis work because yall are takein the two favorite people from us tia and pooch we will o was love yall no matter wat im yall biggest fan and dis is not goin to work please cum back the show will never be the real game any more.

18. Gamefan says:

The game won’t be the same with out Pooch and Tia. Damn do the have to screw up every black show. It started first with girlfriends and cuting Toni out. Now it’s the game. This show will have a hard time making it another season without two main characters.

19. Dee says:

I think it is so selfish that they are leaving after all the support the fans showed to keep the show alive. Such a waist. The show will be nothing without Tia and Pooch.

20. lisa says:

I truly feel that BET is making a bad decision on not having Derwin and Melanie come back next season. I love the storyline between the two and belive that they are the reason I continue to watch the show. They already let Kelly go (bad move as well). I love the chemistry between Derwin and Melanie and was so happy to see that BET allowed them to work through their differences. Black on Black love Power!!. It is possible to have a baby outside your marriage and it work for everyone involved. BET do what you have to do to get them back….We wanted the show back so bad during the 3 years off or so….now that we have it back seems senseless to watch. We tuned in to see the ups and downs of the show but hoping in the end Derwin and Melanie would remain together.

21. Game Fan says:

There’s not point in watching the game anymore. I enjoyed season 5 but.. idk about Tia and Pooch not returning. I guess when it premieres we should all give the show the benefit of doubt and then make our final decisions, I think I may still watch regardless.. hmmm?

22. Simone says:

I think I will give the show A chance but I don’t know how well it will do without.Melonie and Derwin. I will watch to see what’s going on. I won’t judge yet….

23. Frankie says:

BET, please bring back Brittany Daniel (Kelly Pitts) for Season 6.

24. Lisa says:

I really wont be watching The Game since derwin and mel are gone just pointless…

25. Liz says:

I believe that they could’ve grown or their story could have been continued. For instance, most times when athletes are at their peak, they can get knock far down. There couldve been a whole season dealing with Derwin getting hurt and not being able to play as well and eventually being fired and the next season with him rehabilitating and going back into the game. Or something. A season when Mel couldve gotten pregnant and then lost the baby. That would be interresting. Or them adopting and rasing a kid. Tasha is annoying, yeah the witty “ghetto” banter is sometimes funny but the whole “I had Rick Fox, RICK DAMN FOX” is getting old and annoying. Having Kelly back would be so nice and Jason is great but more of the show being involved with him. I couldnt take it. So many of the characters have these extreme personalities that were balanced out by mel and derwin. Lets not forget they are the stars of the show. Like someone mentioned earlier, they were the spin off couple from Girlfriends (mel was joan’s cousin). I dont like the character changes in the show. BET doesn’t do a great job with tv shows. (personally).I cant name one that i enjoyed. I miss the show from the CW. It was perfection. I feel a cancellation or an immense drop in viewers coming soon.Not just due to the main characters absense but because well, its loosing its point. Yes, support our black tv shows but why keep a show on just because its a black show if it isnt nesscarly a good show? Its just not as great of a show anymore. Its not horrible. Its just not as great. But who knows what the future holds.

26. Arion says:

This Is Totally Dumb Why??? They Just should go on ahead A cancel The entire Show Without Tia And Pooch Hall’s Drama THERE IS NO GAME. Tasha MAC can’t hold down that Show WE Need Tia And Pooch . So if there Not Back They Have Lost a FAN!!!

27. Khadija says:

well there is no point in watchin the game mo more cause
    MEL && DING DONG were the star players , i mean i love the other characters and all but the main drama was in them two , i mean will she ever have a baby , will janaye get married , will her and mel fight …. what happened to trey wiggs .. will he ever find out he got mel pregnant .so many questions un-answered … they’re gonna lose alot of veiwers.. this will probably be the last season … you think lauren london gonna make up for it .. UH-UH ! :(

28. DeDe says:

I’ll still watch cause I love me some Tasha Mac but I definitely will miss Tia& Pooch. I loved seeing them together they were almost like Martin & Gina, they just had that connection. i wish them even more success and blessings. I think BET just messed up; I understand Pooch got something else going on but did they even try to work something out.

29. GAMEFAN55 says:

Thats disappointing that pooch hall and tia mowry are leaving the show, its a let down to their fans. The same fans that worked so hard to bring the show back from the dead! If they were going to leave after 2 seasons they shouldnt have rallied for fans to ask the show to come back. So inconsiderate of those two. i get they have to move on with their lives but why put fans through the ringer if they were just going leave the show after two short seasons, and to add salt to the wound, the seasons they showed werent even good. they shouldve just filmed a one hour made for tv movie or something of that sort to tie up the loose ends of the last season before it was cancelled on the cw. At least it wouldve been somewhat the same show we were already watching before it went to bet.

30. nicole says:

Its bad enough the game was getting boring the last season. Now no Tia and no Pooch it wont get any better. Im sorry Lauren is a very pretty girl but she wont help the show. Sorry!!! She isnt funny and cant act to me people just go for her cause of her looks. Too bad for the game they wont get good ratings. The game without tia and pooch is like the young and the restless without victor and jack. It will suck!!!!!

31. Phrophetic says:

Thats some bull!! The people fight to get them back on the air and the very next year they bounce!! They should have let the show stay cancelled!

32. Char says:

Maybe they can get Tamara to play Melony who got a divorce from Derwin

33. D.Brown that DJ says:

It will be interesting to see where they go without the two characters they based the show on. Now, I’m not sure exactly why Tia and Pooch decided not to return, and it’s so cliche, to say it’s all about money, however It’s a well known fact that even though BET has launched and restored a lot of careers, when comes time to pay, they usually don’t budge. That said, the show has to move one way or the other. It has to get better or worst. BET can’t just end it, because let’s face it, it is the most viewed, a highest rated show on the network. Without ” The Game”, what do we have to look forward to, another BS, Reality T.V. Show? No thank you! Just like l said, when everybody panicked, over the first few episodes of season 4, relax and let’s see how it goes. They have not let us down yet.

34. D.Brown that DJ says:

OK, so I just got up to date. It looks like Pooch is returning for season 6 of The Game. However still no Tia, and it doesn’t look like she is going to change her mind. So this adds a twist to a new season. Superstar wide out Derwin Davis, struggles to maintain a long distance marriage, and continue to lead his team in San Diego. Also, trying to keep his teammate and fair weather friend Malik Wright grounded. Since it appears he has gone back to his old ways. Tasha Mack has finally found a man that can handle her Ghetto Fabulous attitude, and philosophy, and is going to hold her down regardless. Jason Pitts is happily married to a Hood Chick! How will all of this work? Let’s see!

35. brittany says:

Pooch is not leaving the show…it was his contracted that ended but he will be there next season…and as for med school she is going on a leave… i will always be a dedicated fan of the game… keep up the good work

• Jennifer says:

See my post tonight. I’m confused because I read Pooch Hall has a new project called Ray Donovan and that’s why he isn’t returning, and just tonite my daughter was watching 106 Park & Tia announced she was called and informed they wouldn’t be writing her back in,, that some other girl is going to be on there. Then on the sneak peak previews it showed Pooch Hall. So what gives? Is Pooch in or out, and is this new girl from the ATL a new character, or Melanie recast?

36. TDM says:

I wasn’t all that happy with The Game to begin with when BET took over….i only stayed watching it because of Tia and Pooch and so now I’m really DONE with the show. Bye Bye!!

37. wendy says:

Not watching the game just watched the premier of tia show with her sister an how sad is it for black entertainment tv to want her to do guest appeareances. I guess im done watching The Game now whats wrong with yall,took Kellie off an now this CRAZY……… Not Happy!!!!!!

38. Koya says:

Wtf is the game without mel and derwin ? Get rid of brandy or something im no longer a fan without them ratings are going to decrease drastically smh ….ok I might watch for tasha mack but NO ONE.ELSE !

39. Kim says:

BET you make bad decisions…

40. Meg says:

This show used to be so good. It was funny with drama when warranted. BET tried to make it too dark and dramatic and it made it exhausting to watch. Derwin and Melly Mel were the main charterers. Time to hang this show up . Good luck to both actors!!

41. Lisa says:

Jason Pits carries the show. He is the only funny one, as long as he’s on it, they have me!

42. Cj says:

Omg Tia will miss ya! Brandy needs to bring it!

43. ann says:

I’m a fan of the game now since Tia and drewin won’t be there I will not watch no ratings from my tv. I’m very piss forget bet I want the two Main characters back I don’t want to see brandy. Bet should be ashamed of them selves. Forget them

44. KETRINA says:

I will not be watching this season show of The Game. It will not be the same without Melandie and Derwin. Don’t get me wrong, the show still have good actors/actress but they make the show what it is. I was so hype about the show returning and now its all down hill again…bad move BET….

45. drizzi d says:

BET plese stop being so cheap. You guys and gals can’t keep a cast first terrance and roxie now tia and pooch. Whats next no jamie foxx. The game is on of my favorite shows on bet. If anything take the money your using on Dont sleep and give tia and pooch what dey want…lol..no tia and pooch no BET for me..where else could you see a strong black couple go through real life challenges? NBC?

46. lisa says:

Yup im not watchin it anymore whats the point they could try to pop a baby or adopt

• Jennifer says:

This is crazy…I didn’t know they weren’t returning until my daughter just told me. But I’m curious about something….why is Pooch Hall appearing in the sneak peak ad for the 1st show? Did his new show not pan out? And why do shows feel that if one person leaves, they have to kill off the other half as well? Tia (Melanie) is still an integral part of the show so why not just recast Derwin and keep the couple in tact.. Why shouldn’t Tia be able to continue just because Pooch Hall has another project. I hope the powers that be listen to their audience, otherwise the Game will be gone for good after season 6. There are too many other good shows on. It’s not too late for a new hospital to open in their town or an existing hospital, and Melanie be given a (realistic) top position she couldn’t resist because it brings her and Derwin back to their friends and the Sabers.

47. Gamefan06 says:

this show as made for Derwin and Melanie they made the show Derwin and Melinaie brought a balance to the show next to it’s over the tope jokes and other characters but if you noticed everyone else played off them Mellie being her issues to her girls and Tasha telling her to shut up, Malik and the guys always giving rookie a hard time about what was going on at home the others had there story line but they all came back to Melanie and Derwin the balance in the equation with you them then it’s just another black sitcom there characters Derwin and meline had a realness about them that was not just comical satire you saw your own relationship in them and you rooted for them because it made your relationship feel like it would last if there did they were going in shady direction with Melinie’s character anyway… I felt like they were going to write her out anyway because of how her character was acting and doing things in the last episodes of the season and they were testing the waters without her when they had the episode without her toward the end so when I saw her get that SHADY ass call on Tia and Tamera where the producer didn’t really want to say he was getting rid of her but was getting ride of her “Oh do you want to come back and finish out you story line which means you characters done anyway she ain’t need that if the contracts were up they probably ditched her befor she could ask for a raise she just had a kid meaning she would want more money cuther off at the pass before nigosiations but they will see from all the comments it’s Universial everyone is going to stop watching including me without Tia and pooch they better not count on a 7th season if they aren’t cancelled half way through six so si’anra The Game we’ll miss you and only watch through season five on reruns there is no replacing Meliane Barnett-Davis they might as will wrap it up… in my opinion thy really wanted to get rid of her and took this round about way of doing it,,, with all there problems they had in the last episodes it could have went either way they make it work or he leave her and find someone new ether way she didn’t have to return just my opinion

48. Upset about the change says:

BET is cheap! BET continues to FU&K up good programming. I feel sorry for the other cast members, because The Game was a good show (with Tia and Pooch as Melanie and Derwin). I don’t know if I’m that dedicated to keep watching the show. Bad BET, bad BET!

49. RANIJA says:

THEY SHOULD HAVE CONTINUED THIS SHYT ON YOUTUBE AND NOT WASTE AN HOUR OF MY LIFE FOR THIS WACK A** S**** AND BET DO ME A FAVOR TURN YOUR HD DOWN LIKE DAMN EVREY ONE OF YOUR TV SHOWS FEEL LIKE A LIFETIME MOVIE CORNY A****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. Darrin says:

I think the show will be fine. Although I’ll miss Tia, I learned that Derwin will be back. The entire show doesn’t rest/ depend on one or two actors. With good stories and plots the show will be fine. BET don’t let us down, you have a great show here. treat it well with great writers and actors.