American Idol Top 3 Results Recap: We've Got Tonight. Who Needs Tomorrow? [Updated]

As American Idol gets closer to the Season 11 finale, its results shows should — by the laws of reality television — get more and more suspenseful. The only problem is that with fewer dreams hanging in the balance, and fewer contestants for evil kitty Ryan Seacrest to bat about like so many trapped mice, the show’s producers have to pad the telecast with alarming amounts of pink slime to fill out the burger.

RELATED | American Idol Top 3 Performance Night Recap: Feeling Right at Home(town)

And thus we get multiple promos for Ice Age: Continental Drift, a Ford “Music Video” so inane that I’m pretty sure Idol producers needed to sedate Jessica Sanchez and Joshua Ledet with tranquilizer darts to get ‘em through it, and announcements from Ryan Seacrest touting Season 12 auditions. (File under: I don’t think we’re ready for that jelly.)

VIDEO | Idology: Elise Testone on ‘Vienna,’ ‘Whole Lotta Love’ and the Moment J.Lo ‘Crossed the Line’

Ah well, at least we got Adam Lambert — his hair like the plumage of some awesome tropical bird, his nails painted a hue not even J.Lo would dare to rock — belting out his latest single, “Never Close Our Eyes.” Because let’s be honest, the Idoloonie Nation needed something positive to cling to after Ryan Seacrest delivered results that — once they were unleashed into the universe — felt more repugnant than making a salad from month-old sludge in the back of your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer.

PHOTOS | American Idol: 10 Dream Theme Nights!

(Pause here for music therapy: THIS IS A…)

Without further ado, let’s cut to the results.

Sent First to the Finale
Jessica Sanchez

(Pause here for music therapy: MAAYYYY-UHHHH-NNNN’S WORRRRRR-UH-LLLL-DUH!)

Sent Second to the Finale
Phillip Phillips

(Pause here for music therapy: BUT IT WOULDN’T BE NUTHIN’. NUTTHHHHHHH-IIII-NNNNNN-UH!)

Eliminated
Joshua Ledet

(Pause here for music therapy: WITHOUT A WOMANNNNNN OR A GURRRRRRLLLLL!)

I’m not even sure I have anything left to type. How could Joshua get sent packing after a four-week extravaganza that included “No More Drama,” “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” “To Love Somebody” and “Ready for Love”? Somewhere, Lady Justice has dropped her scales and headed straight for the freezer, to fetch her bottle of gin.

Nevertheless, there may have been one silver lining to Joshua’s ouster: A glorious encore of “…Man’s World” that ranks right up there with Haley Reinhart’s “Bennie and the Jets” and Allison Iraheta’s “Cry Baby” in the pantheon of great Idol exit performances. Was I wiping away a tear or ten as Joshua growled about man making the train, to carry the heavy load? As a glass of Sauvignon Blanc is my witness, you betcha!

Plus, Joshua now joins the hallowed ranks of prior Idol second-runners-up (that’s beauty pageant speak for third-place finishers) such as Elliott Yamin, Melinda Doolittle, Allison Iraheta (don’t tell me she was fourth; I’ll never believe you), and Haley Reinhart.

I’d weigh in on Jimmy Iovine’s day-after commentary on Phillip, Joshua, and Jessica, but I can’t bear it. Plus, Lady Justice needs a drink refill, and then she and I need to figure out whether Lisa Marie Presley was singing live or lipsynching there in the forest of the damned. (I didn’t mind her song that much, one way or the other.)

And with that, I send ye to the comments. Ease on down there and tell us if you think the right two contestants made the finale. Or just weep. And congrats to Joshua and Skylar Jessica and Phillip! Next week’s finale will certainly be notable in its matchup of vocalists who couldn’t be further apart on the musical scale if their names were Ke$ha and Josh Groban.

Also, for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Joey C says:

While I can appreciate Joshua’s talent, i just couldn’t get behind him. I just would never buy the music he sings…it’s not the type of music I listen to. I liked all 3, but the songs Joshua sang, and his delivery of them are just not my cup of tea

2. Rosemary says:

No way Philip should be in the final. Joshua has been consistently good week after week . Philip at times has been off key and totally bland and void of enthusiasm. I can’t imagine listening to a whole CD of Philip’s songs. But of course most teeny boppers will vote for him just because. Jessica FTW.

• tarc says:

I’m far from a teenager, and I was perfectly happy jamming to Phillip while gardening today. I’ll be happy for a whole new Phillip Phillips album of his own music.

3. Liaa says:

Sad to see Joshua go home but I think all 3 deserved a spot in the finale unfortunately one had to go. I actually power voted for all 3 of them since they were my favorites since the start. I am happy Jessica is in the top 2 (yes because I am Filipino plus I can’t sing like her haha). And top 3 is not bad at all. They all (well maybe not everyone from their batch) will have a great career. I bet record companies are already typing those contracts for them to sign

4. sierrarose says:

Every year, like a sucker, I watch American Idol and every year I get my heart stomped on. There is no freaking way there should be a finale without Joshua Ledet. He and Jessica Sanchez would have put on quite a show. Once again, I find myself asking why Idol does not include the judge’s opinions, along with the popular vote, in some form to determine who moves forward in the competition. My only consolation about this thing is that Joshua probably already has a record contract sewed up and will not have to contend with the contract constrictions placed on the winner.

• Davey says:

I truly think Joshua will make a very good album that will do well. I wanted Joshua and Jessica in the finale. But I think Joshua is going to be fine. He’s shown for weeks how exciting he’s going to be in concert.

• givemeglenn says:

I think it was clear that Jimmy, the person who will actually be producing the singers, disagreed with the judges, so giving them the power to decide which one goes through would be just as bad. Perhaps the best way to get the singers through would be to have a system where the voters count for 1/3, the judges count for 1/3, and music industry “experts” count for the final 1/3. Add up all of those scores and then move the singers along until you come up with the ultimate winner…

5. Kelly says:

You know what — the legendary Donna Summer died today — mourn the loss of her — not Joshua who has a solid career ahead of him and when his CD comes out, go out and buy it.

6. Name That Tune says:

Anyone get the feeling that this is just a rerun of Season 6?

• hartley says:

I actually feel the same thing.. This season feels like Season 6… Joshua Ledet reminds me of Melinda… I really hope that Jessica will win over Philip Philips just like what happened to Jordin and Blake..

7. PFitzDC says:

Oh, Slezak, don’t be such a sore loser. Some of us admired but never Joshua, so the results are all that repugnant at all!

Honestly, while I like Phillip, I hope Jessica wins, because she’s really the best candidate for the Idol “package”…more suited to it than either of the boys.

Josh will get a contract; he will be fine. And probably will do much better NOT being the Idol.

8. bevs says:

Go Jessica…for the win….

9. Renee says:

I’m loved the Adam Lambert performance and it eased the sting for me. Also, I’m fairly sure Adam toyed with the idea of wearing a ‘Jessica, Joshua’ cape but decided against it:) (That remains the only thing Katy Perry’s ever done on stage I found worth watching lol.)

• JASon says:

Stop being so jealous of Katy Perry. She an amazing talent, great songwriter, beautiful sweet girl with a unique voice. She doesn’t need your unfunny snarky comments!! Can’t wait till Katy Perry takes over for J-Lo next year!!!!

• Marsaili says:

J-Lo just tweeted that she never said she wasn’t coming back—she said she doesn’t know what she’s doing yet.

Jennifer Lopez ‏@JLo
        There is no truth to reports that say I am definitely leaving Idol. All I said was I haven’t decided what I am doing next year. #mediaremix

• Russell says:

Good lord, Katy, calm down. Sadly, I am not jealous as I have blue wigs and whipped cream bras to spare. In truth, I find your voice often shrill and sharp in live performances (it is unique though – I’ll grant you that) – and I think a woman your age really should move past writing nasty snark (ur so gay? rly?) and teen queen tunes. I’d be happy to see you take over as judge next year – less singing, more sitting will benefit everyone. Ta, love.

• JASon says:

You may have blue wigs and whipped cream but you do not have five number one singles in a row!!! All I can say is Firewprk is a moving brilliant song that she wrote!!! I saw her live in concert and she was awesome!!! Her voice was fine. Especially since she does a lot of dance numbers and is not a trained dancer!!

• JASon says:

Oh and UR so gay? is a great song as well. Do you even know what it’s about? it’s about an ex-lover who’s a pretencious hipster. It’s a play on the old Your So Vain song updated for the 21st century!!. The lyrics are clever and it’s a fun song in general!! Most of her music is fun and not to be taken too seriously (Last Friday Night, Peacock) but she also has some introspective stuff (Circle The Drain, Firework)!!! At least she writes her own material and has even had some of her songs bought and recorded by Kelly Clarkson. She’s not a dumb talentless bimbo, which jealous people who can’t handle a strong woman that just happens to be extremely smart and one of the most beautiful women in the world at the same time, would like you to believe.

• Russell says:

Oh I even know which ex Katy’s bitching about and side-eye to you for equating calling an ex on being a pretentious jerk with ‘insulting’ a guy by calling him gay. Very sensitive and mature. It’s up there with her equally ignorant cover of n****s in paris. I guess I just prefer ‘weak’ female singers like Pink who depend more on their talent than their boobs.. And honey the day hit singles are the measure of talent we’ll be looking at a whole new world. lol. you are really a little obsessive, himm? I’m sorry. Well, she means something to you so… that’s nice – but bear up, Katy’s time is over – braindead pop was so last summer. Sorry. (another good reason she should get an Idol type gig.)

• JASon says:

It’s more to do with being metrosexual then homosexual! I don’t think a lot of homosexuals are taking offense though as she has a ig homosexual following and the song is not hateful it is more tongue in cheek and comical. Whether Katy’s time is up remains to be seen but a lot of people though her time was up after having a huge debut album with three hit songs and she followed it up with an album that had five number one songs in a row and a huge arena tour. Not exactly a flash in the pan. And even if her next album s not as big (I don’t see how it could get much bigger being that I don’t think five number one songs in a row has been done since michael Jack’s Bad and the beatles before that. Also it is not Braindead pop. IT is fun music with a touch of seriousness at times. Pink’s first couple albums were pop confections as well as she was marketed as a Britney clone before she got the power to choose what she wanted to do. I don’t see her dressing like a nun. Katy has the body why not show it off!!! Lastly I’m not the one taking pot ashots at people for no reason. I’m just trying to stand up for someone I think has talent!!

10. Carrie says:

JESSICA for the win!!!
    You can win it!

11. Tek says:

Oh My God! Phiilip’s gonna win?! And I don’t mean that as a proclamation of victory.

12. Chris says:

More Adam (not that Lisa P was bad) but MORE Adam!

I’ve known for weeks Jessica and Phillip were leading this race, so it was no shock to me. I feel like Jessica being in the finale is justified. I just hope the song choices next week are more… exciting.

Now for the orange slice and the trophy…..

13. Paisley says:

I loved Josh taking Mama Ledet up on stage with him! *weep* I KNEW he was getting cut when Jimmy Iovine put on his 20/20 hindsight glasses and criticized Josh’s lack of melody (huh?) on MaryJ’s song. WTF? He was brilliant with that song. The only reason for Jimmy’s comment was to create plausible doubt iregarding Josh’s mastery of that performance. Jessica Sanchez can sing but was only a competent mimic last night, a sweet and talented girl, but she did not have any moments last night. Her Mariah and Aerosmith covers were kinda’ painful to hear. I knew Phil would be in finale, not upset about that at all. But Josh brought so much passion to his music, real, gritty feeling. Phil does, too, to a lesser extent. Not Jessica so much — it seems way too Toddlers & Tiaras at times. Well, at least this year’s finale will beat last year’s dueling country teens. Still disappointed, though.

• Paisley says:

Edit: in regarding not iregarding

• deedee says:

I feel the same way. Jimmy “blamed” himself for giving Joshua the wrong song – “No More Drama”. Well, last night he was thrilled with the performance because Josh did exactly what Jimmy wanted him to do with it. So, what happened between last night and tonight? The votes came in, that’s what. Jimmy had to point to *something* to explain why Joshua was out. He didn’t want to put the blame on Joshua’s shoulders, so he took it on the chin for the boy.
      How heartbreaking when Josh – in his humility and sweetness – said he takes whatever Jimmy tells him because he looks up to him. I could cry real tears for his unjaded sincerity. :( I may have to catch the Idol tour this year just for Josh (and Elise and Skylar).

14. Sha says:

Slezak, I know your usual favorite is female and you do an extended interview with that person each year but it would be awesome if you changed your preference to Joshua for this season. PRETTY PLEASE!

15. Ana Muti says:

My opinion? When you have so many voting for so few, the person who wins isn’t going to be the most interesting but the most homogenized. The singers with unique vocals and a discernible personality like Josh and Elise could never win the entire competition because they simply weren’t going to appeal to the largest mass of voters.

The WGWG is the fate of AI; I see nothing worth watching in the future.

• tarc says:

No, the result of that process isn’t a ‘homogenized’ – that’s what happens when you select by a series of small grous that need to concur (lowest-common denominator). When large groups select, you get the most accessible choice, or the most “average” choice. That’s not to say that choice is inferior, of course, but the one most broadly relatable (aka, in this case, what you see on current music charts).

16. Adam was SENSATIONAL!. !!! Jessica deserves to be in the finale. Sorry to see Joshua go :(

17. Kirk Sansom says:

people bet big money in vegas on this. watch their betting lines and you’ll see who is favored. Phillip and Jessica have been the favorites the whole time except the week before colton went home. Yes, as in all gambling sometimes there are surprises, but that is why it’s called gambling.

18. Tal says:

I’m just plain MAD that Josh was sent home…should have been Jessica!!!!

19. No Suspens says:

I don’t even watch this show — but knew Phillip was the winner 3 months ago. Read an interesting AP article today about how America is only voting for white male Caucasians for this show now. Several seasons in a row.

So why waste your time watching if you know the result?

Don’t believe me? Just Google “American Idol Caucasian Associated Press” and you can read it, too.

20. K says:

Philip Phillips is going to win, obviously.

21. darcy the slutty twin says:

I just knew Phillip’s sensual thigh-stroking and Jessica’s hot dad would bring the votes in!

22. Rocky says:

Jessica is too young ? What are you people smoking ?

I called it. I think Joshua is better than PhilPhil, but there’s too many girls in this world with iphones and droids to be denied.

Jessica is a STAR ! PhilPhil’s music career will be brief. (Although he will probably win Idol)

You heard it right here, folks.

23. dallasgirl says:

No Phillip deserves to be in the finale. He’s unique, hes different. Deserves to win.

24. ronnel says:

Josh = Melinda, Blake = Phil, Jordin = Jessica
    Josh = Vonzell, Bo = Phil, Carrie = Jessica

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

That makes no sense. Melinda was better than Jordan vocally and Carrie beats all. So ur comparison is off.

25. Stephanie says:

I think it’s going to come down to the coronation song, especially if they are given the same song like most years. Whoever sings it better should seal the deal

26. You people are the biggest bunch of whiners. If you spent half the time voting that you spend thinking your opinions are the only right opinions – then Joshua would be in the final two. All season it’s been a whine fest. Get over it. Vote for the people you want and if they don’t win – well guess what, you got outvoted. Get a grip and a life and move on…

• Name That Tune says:

Oh, some of us have voted. Does not make a difference if you vote once, twice, fifty or 10,000 times. This show is stuck in one mode, one note.

I’m ready to hear the outcome, and haven’t voted once this season. Won’t be bothered at all by whatever happens. Been working in my garden the past 2 weeks, and haven’t thought much about this show. I expected P2 to win ever since I heard about him during the auditions. It’s anticlimactic and not worth spending your time on.

• darcy's evil twin says:

It’s never good when they call you ‘You People’.

27. HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Idol is dead to me – yay! In a strange way – I’m relieved, for Josh, for myself. Am looking forward to getting the 3-hours-a-week of my life back!! Although I enjoyed this Joshua-obsession-ride immensely – but gee, didn’t think fandom is this exhausting (even a half-arsed one)! Am glad I get to experience Josh, glad to have found the very entertaining Michael + Melinda and some very funny + passionate posters on this site. Man, what an eye-opener to see the things people say to each other in the name “taste”! Guess this will be my last Idology post unless Idol does something crazy and unprecedented and bring Joshua back for a final “bonus” performance just because…!

• HairLikeATeddyBear says:

I lie! I just want to add I think Josh’s mom is such a delightful lady – anyone who belly-laughs is a winner to me!

• deedee says:

Oh, HairLikeATeddyBear, you can’t leave yet. Josh will be back for the Finale, and he’ll probably get to duet with his idol (Fantasia? JHud? Someone not from AI? lol). Not to mention group sings and cheesy choreography. You can’t quite now!

• kim says:

Geez and its only one more week!

28. Lenard says:

Hahaha…
    Americans definitely are very wise nowadays on how the way they cast their votes.
    And that means they listen & appreciate the true song artist, and that is Jessica Sanchez…!:)

29. Red in Denver says:

Well, I’m weeping …. Joshua was the last of my ‘favorites’.

PP seems like a nice guy, and he’s very cute, but it’s difficult to tell if he can really sing, since he rarely does anything but his ‘schtick’ as opposed to even TRYING to nail the song/melody itself.

And Jessica, has a technically amazing voice; but, from almost the very first show, everything she does, every facial expression, every note, every growl, seems so contrived.

I don’t really care which of them win. The VoteForTheWorst website will be ecstatic, though, if their pick for the worst singer of the season (PP) wins the show. They will feel they have really accomplished their goal.

30. Sebby says:

You’d think with all the standing O’s the judges gave him, they’d be a lot more sad to see Joshua go. I know I was. That boy is a born performer with all kinds of soul pouring out of him. The finale will not be the same without him. That said, I guess I’m rooting for Phillip now. Jessica is an amazing technical singer, but she lacks the depth of soul and emotional connection for me to feel engaged in her performances. I feel like she covers songs instead of interpreting them. Personally, I don’t want to hear someone do a note for note cover of a song–no matter how well they may sing. I want to hear them put their own stamp on a song, and I don’t feel Jessica has done that yet.

• deedee says:

I know, right? Steven looked a little bummed, but maybe that’s just the way he looks. But JLo and Randy? Such fakes. “best singer in 50 years” gets booted and they’re like, “Oh well”. The standing Os were always a manipulation to hype Josh for thei own calculated reasons. Not sincere except for one or two performances. They just messed with this trusting soul’s head.
      I’m rooting for Phil now too. Mind you, not passionately. Just that Jessica was one of my least favourites this season, so I can’t get behind her. She’s probably the better winner option from the show’s perspective, but … screw the show. P2 ftw (lower case, lol).

• IdolFan says:

If you go to American Idols website and look under: video – still rolling – you will see the rest of Joshua’s exit performance as well as the judges time with him. There is no doubt they believed in Joshua and every single standing O.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Thanks, I’ll go look.
        I commented on this before but at the beginning of the program the judges looked as though they were about to face a firing squad.

• deedee says:

LOL, they did, didn’t they. But Steven was the only one who didn’t get enthusiastic on camera when the finalists were announced. I know that could mean that he was merely checked-out as usual, but I like to think it was his way of signaling to us that Josh got robbed. It seems Steven genuinely championed Josh all season more than the other clowns.

31. Angela says:

Ugh. I like Jessica a lot, but this week was possibly her weakest of the season. Phillip…He seems like a great guy, but he’s had exactly two good performances this season. Joshua deserved to be in that final two – to win it, even. He never had a flat-out bad performance all season, I loved his voice and style and he was fantastically dynamic. He was way more exciting than either Jessica or Phillip, and I’m honestly not sure I can remember the last time an individual contestant gave so many genuine, standout performances.

Of the top three, it should’ve been a Jessica and Joshua finale. But Phillip is going to win, just like people have been saying for weeks. Just blech.

32. freeSyria says:

“a Ford “Music Video” so inane that I’m pretty sure Idol producers needed to sedate Jessica Sanchez and Joshua Ledet with tranquilizer darts to get ‘em through it”

i love ppchez but i love josh too, i really think he should have, and deservedly so won this whole thing but he doesn’t have a dedicated fans as the other two have.

33. Layla says:

I voted more than ever last night and I’m glad all the BluJays did as well. Congrats to Phillip for making the finale. It will be a good one. Joshua will be missed but he will be fine post Idol. Continue the my lil Swaggernaut’s bashing, I didn’t even visit last night because I see the same “robotic” “connect” “Tiara” “screamer” lalalalala tonight, and focused on voting.
    Go Jessica!!!!! :) :) :)

34. Wonderfoo says:

Great finale to come! Can’t wait to watch P2 win. Can’t wait to buy his album. I’m sure I’ll love it as much as the album Lee Dewyze put out. Love Phil’s voice. Love it.

35. Merla says:

Absolutely the first time in idol history that I could care less about the finale. Never thought Phillips should have gotten this far – same old idol crap WBWG wins. But since I was pretty sure he would after last night’s performances as well as being the only WBWG standing, I wuz certain it would be a Joshua/Phillips final. Again, I forgot the major viewing (and most importantly voting) audience is in the south and bigotry is still alive and kicking in this country. Joshua should have gone the whole way. I knew Phillips was going to take this (remember Jessica is also a minority) but thought at least a Phillips Joshua showdown woulda been fun. I am certain of two things from here – (1) I will skip the finale; and (2) Joshua is the only CD I will be buying from this year’s contestants. Adios, friends

• Sandi says:

Two questions…

If America is so bigoted, how did Jessica make it to the finale? Most of the top 10 were white.

If America is so bigoted, why are non-whites so heavily represented on the pop charts? Why do all these bigots keep buying music from non-whites?

• Name That Tune says:

Sandi, that’s utterly not the point. WGWG has nothing to do with RACE. The truth is a SINGER can no longer win this show. You can’t tell me there haven’t been some talented SINGERS (not guys who play an instrument) over the past 5 seasons who deserved to win.
        ————————-
        Honestly, Idol just needs to stop sending SINGERS to the Top 24 and just make it a talent show for people who play instruments. We already have The Voice (hmmm, it’s about SINGERS), The X Factor (which was about SINGERS) and here comes Duets, which will probably be about SINGERS. So let Idol be the place for people who play instruments and let’s just accept what Idol is.

• Sandi says:

1. Scotty – who won last year – was not a guitar player. He was a SINGER (not sure why that needs to be all caps but hey, why not.)

2. Jessica is still in contention to win and I think it’s pretty clear that she’s a SINGER.

3. The original post was most certainly about race and bigotry in the south and that was what I was responding to. I’m not sure what you’re responding to…

• Marsaili says:

Wrong! Scotty IS a guitar player! He played a few times on the Idol stage! And at his homecoming concert, he’s playing on stage!

• Mary B says:

And why did a non white male win the voice two years in a row.

• givemeglenn says:

Based on YOUR post, I think it’s quite clear that YOU are the bigot.

36. Miri says:

Not watching this finale

37. brandon69 says:

After watching tonight’s show, I have lost all the respect I had for Jimmy Iovine. It is clear that he is aware of the results and his comments are nothing more than part of AI’s carefully designed strategy to cover up the show’s flawed voting system. Thanks for signing Haley Jimmy, you are not good for much else.

38. nodak says:

Have you people ever heard of difference of opinion? All 3 of these young people are talented. One of them had to go. There will be some who think Joshua was the best, some who like Jessica and others who are Phillip fans. Different isn’t wrong, it’s just different. Someone should be able to express their joy that their favorite will continue and others should be able to express their sorrow that their favorite is gone without being attacked for their opinion.

39. Sonic Wave says:

Over at the EW boards, it seems like a celebration of Joshua’s fall. There’s a reason why I’m over here at TVline.

• Angela says:

Yeah, I like Annie Barrett’s recaps, but the message board comments over there are…not worth reading, to put it politely.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, why are they celebrating Joshua’s fail? He’s completely amazing. Whether you enjoy that style of singing/performing or not there’s no denying his natural talent. That’s not something you learn – you’re born with it.
      Well, it’s good to know it’s more civilized here. I was getting a bit annoyed with all the comments about Jessica’s Filipino heritage. My husband’s heritage is 100% German (if we were dogs, his pedigree would be far more pure and impressive than mine, LOL) and I can’t imagine a bunch of Germans on here bashing everyone else. Well, probably because they’re off doing more important things, like scrubbing the bathrooms or making money!

40. ashley says:

sooo… Jessica Sanchez gets her own Ford commercial next week?

41. Elizabeth says:

Wanted it to be Joshua and Phillip because I cannot stand Jessica (because of her attitude). Oh well – rooting for Phillip all the way. He’s been my favorite all season.

• Marsaili says:

Please explain to me—what ATTITUDE? Jessica is a quiet, sweet little girl. Where do you find any attitude in her behavior? Sorry, but I am SO SICK of people accusing these female contestants of “attitude” problems—Haley, Elise and now Jessica? WHAT?

• brandon69 says:

I am surprised by your reaction Marsaili, considering your preferences. This is just typical reasoning from a typical Philip fan!!!

• Marsaili says:

I have always defended Jessica against crap said about her–and Phillip, and Elise and any of the other contestants—it’s not right to make up stuff about these kids. I might not be buying any of jessica’s albums, but she’s a great kid–with a HUGE talent and she doesn’t deserve to be talk about like that. Neither does Phillip. I’m not the kind of person who disses the other contestants because I like this guy or that—I’m more grown up than that! IT seems that there are many people here who seem to feel it necessary to cut down the other contestants to elevate their favorites—-that’s so Jr. high school. Plus, I’m a mother of 6—and I cannot stand bullying or picking on people, that’s mostly why I’m so vocal about some of these children here who do nothing but slam contestants and fans. Ok, aren’t you glad you responded to me, LOL! off my soap box now! for now……… :-)

• tarc says:

And every casual reader on the board tunes out when brandon says, “typical reasoning from a typical Philip fan.” In case you missed it, those ‘typical Phillip fans’ got their favorite to the finale.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Marsaili has always defended Jessica and has been one of the more polite people here. I also fail to see where the “attitude” comments come from re: Jessica. IMO Jessica suffers a little from *lack* of attitude, possibly because of her age, and although she’s a good singer I suspect she’s a bit overwhelmed because she doesn’t know that much about music and music theory. She’s been surrounded by people that haven’t just been making videos for YouTube. They really know their business. She doesn’t play an instrument like Phillip (or does she play an instrument? am I wrong?), she doesn’t compose music like Phillip, and she sure doesn’t have Joshua’s stage presence.
        Jessica seems like a sweet girl (even though some of her fans need to be locked away) and I think she has a good career ahead of her but she really needs some formal training. She had no clue what Steven VanZandt was talking about when he changed the chord progression at the beginning of “Proud Mary”, and those runs on the lower register of the Mariah Carey song Jennifer saddled her with were totally unsupported. That was part of the reason they didn’t work. Jessica is a good singer. Now she needs to become a good vocalist so she doesn’t blow out her vocal chords. I’m convinced that’s what happened to Lauren Alaina at the end of last season. No formal training and she wasn’t supporting her singing properly.

• MA says:

They did it to Juliet on the Voice too. “Bad attitude” is one of those age-old sexist middle-school digs at women. Men never get accused of it because they’re supposed to have attitudes. Women are supposed to be simpering and meek. There’s nothing wrong with Jessica’s “attitude.” PLEASE. And again, by “PLEASE,” I mean “give me a f****** break.”

• Sandi says:

Yes, I agree. What a b*tch that girl is. Meow! I can’t stand her either for all the nasty things she’s done in the imaginary personality I’ve created for her in my mind.

42. Donna says:

To Michael and all of us already missing Joshua — Listen to and buy the studio version of all Joshua songs. I usually don’t do that but listened to SVersion of Imagine – unbelievable, very different from performance version– he had time to build it and take it to church. I love this song and thought the slowed down original version was the only way to interpret it but what Joshua did in studio is great!

• Marsaili says:

I’ve bought all the full albums since the top 13—-Jessica, Joshua and Phillip all have marvelous studio recordings—it’s almost like seeing a different side of them. And I don’t believe they are over-produced to hide flaws like some people claim—they don’t have enough time to over produce them!

• Mary B says:

I also have all the albums sonce top 13 and play them all the time. Thats how Phillip became my favorite. I found I liked his music over the others. So you can throw out he is only liked for his looks theory.

• Marsaili says:

Now it’s *women are voting with what is between their loins*. I don’t know about you, but the only thing between my loins is some marinade and a nice hot grill to cook them on! ;-)

43. muzakality says:

A lot of people don’t like Joshua’s singing and wailing style. To me it’s like nails on a chalkboard. And while I haven’t necessarily thought Phillip should be in the finale, I thought last night he showed he deserved it.

44. Tahoe Mike says:

aww crap. I just don’t get why every real talent is doomed on this ifnruiating show. I guess it’s true that if you let a committee choose a color, you get biege.

45. Davey says:

My favorites of these three were Joshua and Jessica. I know Phillip had a good night last night but I still feel it was time for him to go, as it was time for him to go two or three weeks ago. But I do think Joshua proved to America what an exciting singer he is–now Jimmy will have to get the right talent to write good enough songs for him to sing.

When Jimmy said Jessica could be on the Grammys I knew she was through. However, before he said that I thought she was gone.

I hope Jessica can have her moments next week. I voted for her last night.

46. Davey says:

Please judges or Jimmy or whoever is choosing the songs next week. Please pick better, more melodic songs for Jessica to sing. And at least one number that’s a show stopper.

• Marsaili says:

I think he will, he realized his mistake with the J5 song—although I have to say, I really liked it and I like her studio version even better! At least Jimmy is willing to admit when he is wrong—unlike the judges…..

• darcy's evil twin says:

I kind of liked it as well (Liked it better than most of the songs Jessica sings) but it was totally odd how she sounded like both Michael AND Jermaine Jackson. As you said, Jimmy admitted his mistake. they should have had Joshua sing the Jermaine part! THAT would have been awesome.

47. Beck says:

voting four hours next week for #wgwg5 Phil. His feet have never scraped bottom. He’s taking this like Taylor Hicks. Who else never hit the seal?

48. two J's all the way says:

Why is Jessica getting all the hate and not Phillip. Phillip should have been gone the week Sklyar was eliminated, then Hollie, then tonight. It should have been a Jessica vs. Joshua finale but I knew this was going to happen.

Jessica is going to win it all, she is the only one who has MILLIONS of views on youtube and common sense tells you they are not all from the phillipines. The judge created this situation with their over praise of Joshua and that “the best singer in the last 50 years statement” was over the top.

Jessica Sanchez, American Idol 2012!

• Davey says:

Don’t pay attention to the Jessica hate. She obviously has admirers or she wouldn’t have made the final.

You certainly can’t say the judges helped her much last night. The song choices were not good for her.

And they gave Joshua something like 14 standing ovations so he didn’t lack for show support.

• two J's all the way says:

I agree with the song choices given to Jessica by JLO and Jimmy, were they trying to sabatoge her? They were horrible and prevented her from showcasing her strengths, ironically it made me vote for her even more because it appeared to me they wanted her off to make sure Phillip was safe and just assumed Joshua had the other spot locked up.
        #backfire

• darcy's evil twin says:

I liked “I’ll Be There”. “My All” didn’t showcase her strengths but it sure brought out her weakness, in spades, which is that she doesn’t support her notes. It’s important that Jessica learn to do this properly or she’ll blow her vocal chords. Her breath control was not good and I can’t believe the judges didn’t comment on her phrasing (there’s a word we haven’t heard nuch this season). I think Jessica’s been so amazing on most songs Jennifer thought she could handle anything. That was one difficult song.

• Marsaili says:

LOL, if you think Jessica is getting more hate then Phillip, you need reading glasses! This board is almost exclusively the Phillip hater board. Apparently the EW board is the Joshua hater board—I haven’t seen a Jessica one, and I really don’t want to. As for her MILLIONS of views on youtube—so? Common sense tells you that MILLIONS of them probably are from the Philipines because she has a HUGE fan base there. nothing wrong with that. We all know that Jessica has millions of views on Youtube—ok? It doesn’t dismiss the fact that the other contestants are liked just as much as well—Phillip’s fan base is bigger than Jessica’s—-and it has been all along. And it doesn’t mean squat. to be fair, Jessica has been on other reality shows—Phillip and Joshua haven’t—so she already had fans to start with and people aware of her before she even tried out for Idol. So to try and use her youtube views as something to elevate her above Phillip is ridiculous because many of those views were before she was even on Idol—it doesn’t count. He’s starting fresh—never been in the bottom 3, never been eliminated and had to be saved. NONE of it matters in the long run—what matters is that people like them, they are talented and they both deserve to be where they are and they both will do very well after Idol, no matter WHO wins!

• two J's all the way says:

Jessica had a huge youtube following BEFORE she was on American Idol, I came across her last year. How can you assume Phillip’s fan base is bigger than Jessica’s? Like I said yesterday, Joshua was going home tonight (even though I voted for him) and Phillip is going down next week. AI knows if yet another WGWG wins, people are just going to throw their hands in the air and be like what is the point we we already know what the result is going to be. Phillip should have been gone the week Skylar left, at least she was a WGWG but a different gender.

• Marsaili says:

That is EXACTLY my point (and what I said above) Jessica already had a fan base—Phillip didn’t, really and yet here he is—top 2, never been in the bottom 3, never been eliminated or saved—he grew all his fans on ONE SHOW—he didn’t have a head start like Jessica did. now, I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with Jessica already having a fan base—I’m just trying to point out that despite the fact that she had a HUGE head start, Phillip has been in the top since the beginning. That says something. (I know, you’ll probably dis him again, but regardless, he’s got a HUGE fanbase without the help of another show or country!)

• FreeHaley says:

If he has never been in the bottom three why do you think he had no fanbase and grew all his fans in one show??? Contestants with no large fanbase from the start always play around with the bottom three and have to be perfect each week he survived a few poor weeks with ease. Doesn’t make any sense to say that Jessica had some huge fanbase lead over him from the start. She maybe did over say Elise.

• Marsaili says:

He wasn’t known before the show—maybe locally but not nationally like Jessica was—she was on another reality singing show—so she had a huge fan base compared to the rest of the kids. When I said he grew his fans on one show I was speaking of IDOL as the one show, Jessica’s been on two shows. Jessica had a huge lead over everyone this season—because she’s been on TV before. Nothing sinister in that–just facts.

• Davey says:

Clearly you haven’t been reading the comments about Jessica calling her a robot, a mimic, no emotion, not connected to her songs, boring, etc. etc. etc. She obviously has a lot of fans but they haven’t been posting on TV Line during most of this season.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’ve seen plenty of Jessica fans on this board. Some of them need a one-way ticket to the asylum, though.

• ivy says:

maybe because while you people are insulting her, her fans are busy voting for her ^_^

49. TC says:

Joshua is safe… Jimmy hinted so many times how he would treat Joshua’s album, I almost thought a deal was already made! Just saying…

50. Davey says:

I hope both finalists have great nights next week. But I do think no matter how fine Jessica is next week she will probably have a hard time beating Phillip. But this is the first time anyone of Asian-Hispanic descent has been in the AI finale, right? That’s something special right there. Could this have happened 11 years ago?

• Marsaili says:

honestly, i doubt race plays much in this for her—she’d be loved no matter what nationality she is—she’s cute, she’s talented and she’s adorable—people aren’t voting for her because she’s mexipean. Well, maybe some are, but many aren’t. I’m half Mexican, half Irish—I didn’t vote for Carly Smithson because she was Irish, I voted for her because she was fabulous! I’ve voted for Jessica when I felt she was fabulous, too—her nationality played nothing into it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Mexipean”??????? Or is it “Mexipino”?
        Thanks. I just spit coffee all over my laptop. :-)