Grey's Anatomy First Look: Watch the Opening Minutes of This Week's Harrowing Finale!

Get More: Finales, First Look, Video

Fasten your seat belts Grey’s Anatomy fans, ’cause Thursday’s season finale is going to be one Helluva. Bumpy. Ride.

The heart-pumping hour picks up pretty much where last week’s week’s penultimate episode left off — with the plane carrying Derek, Meredith, Lexie, Mark, Cristina and Arizona crash landing in the middle of nowhere.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Finale Preview — Who’s Going to Die?!

Press PLAY below to watch the chaotic opening minutes of the Season 8 swan song and then say a nice little prayer for the victims in the comments section below!

Loading video...

PHOTOS AND VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New!

Comments (559)

• Is it safe to say the major death is Cristina’s shoe? I don’t know how I could watch the show after a death like that.

Comment by Marty – May 16, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to be so freaking pissed if Lexie dies! She has to end up with Mark!!

Comment by S. – May 16, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doubt it. Shonda wants lexie and mark together and she can’t do that if she kills her off.

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys its Grey’s anatomy, the survivors are probably a red herring and someone in the hospital will die

Comment by dave – May 16, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet you Kepner offs herself and all the plane crash victims survive.

Comment by Jennifer – May 16, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The preview said ’6 went down, 1 will die’. This leads you to believe that it will be someone from the crash. You got Merideth, McDreamy, Arizona, Mark, Christina and Lexi on the plane, that is the 6. Lexi was in bad shape and the others didn’t look to be on the brink of death. I’m gonna have to say that Lexi is the one going away, which doesn’t make too much sense, because she is the other ‘Grey’ and if Meredith ever decides to not renew, there will be no more Grey’s left.

Comment by JJ – May 16, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, considering the fact that Derek was sucked out of the plane right before it crashed I seriously doubt that he could be alive. He would be my first choice. Then I think the show without Derek just wouldn’t be the same. So I guess we will all just have to tune in tonight and see who it is !

Comment by Alice Buck – May 16, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not Derek, it’s not Christina…….. but, they may even leave the show

Comment by Marcia – May 16, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you saw they first couple of minutes you’d see derek alive….and its on tomorrow not today….

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • a bunch of people keep saying “gotta watch tonight” and I keep getting paranoid… Its Wednesday People! Gotta waits another day! :(

Comment by rog – May 16, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. Derrick, he already said he wasn’t coming back to the show next season

Comment by Joanne Houston-fath – May 16, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Derek IS coming back to the show. Just signed a 2-year contract.

Comment by PFitzDC – May 16, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm….the pilot didn’t look so good and he was unresponsive. Just sayin’…

Comment by Cindy Lou – May 16, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lexie or Mark. Either Lexie won’t get out from under that thing alive, or Mark will die from internal injuries (since he appears to be the least injured…) saving her. Makes me sick. This is what we waited over two years for? What a smack in the face. If Chyler or Eric wanted to leave, I can’t say much to that. I can’t blame them really, they’ve never had a consistent and decent story-line really, they were wasted when they didn’t have to be, so yes, I WOULD blame Shonda and the writers despite her claim that she “has no control over contracts”. Well, perhaps if you’d come up with something decent for Chyler or Eric maybe they wouldn’t want to leave (should that be the case). Duh, it’s not rocket science.

Comment by Mahala – May 16, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TVLine reported Mark was safe, as well as Christina and Meredith. If the death is someone from the plane crash, it’ll be either Lexie, Arizona or Derek. If it’s from the Hospital, based on what we’ve seen of this season it’ll be April committing suicide in some way.

…Then again, this is Grey’s Anatomy, it could end up being something like another plane crashing into the hospital and killing Teddy or something.

Comment by kavyn – May 16, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you people not watch the damn 7 minute preview video? They all are responsive but one may die because of there injury. And its not derek, mer, yang or mark. They are confirmed to be back. They signed on for two more years. Geesh.

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m praying that Grey is dreaming all of this.

Comment by Christyl – May 16, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damnit… that could be true -_- Never really thought of this being a dream sequence. I hope it isn’t.

Comment by kavyn – May 16, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grey’s dreaming and this all becomes some “Final Destination” stuff. YAYAYAYAY!

Comment by Kas – May 16, 2012 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Cindy Lou, um, the pilot was alive and talking directly to Arizona. I wouldn’t call that “unresponsive” Shonda said that this was going to be a major character to die and not just some guest star, so he’s not going to be the one.

Comment by Mahala – May 16, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think its derek.. maybe he dies and comes back as a ghost. And i think christina’s shoe got sucked out of the plane with derek… jus sayin.

Comment by jackie – May 16, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can not believe. It’s too scary!!!

Comment by Julia – May 16, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt Arizona is gonna die because I seen another preview and she is out from under the rubble and sitting next to the cockpit of the plane. My guess would be Lexie because I would think there would be no way they can move that big chunk of plane off her, She has the whole tail end of the plane on her. Arizona only has the door on her. So Lexie looks the most in danger. Derek will be fine seen a preview that he is alive still. I also read that Shonda said that Mark and Lexie “will get some satifaction, but she can’t say it’s not going to be bittersweet or painful”. So that leads me to believe the satifaction will be Mark telling Lexie he loves her and she saying it back so they both know it, and she will probably die which will be the bittersweet and painful. Which really bloody sucks !! I love Lexie, she is not like the rest all doom and gloom, she is upbeat and perky and I really wanted to see her and Mark get back together for the last couple seasons. It will really blow if it is her… Seriously though how many deaths can they do every season finale, soon its goona be cliched and predictable.

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think its going to be kallie….. she just told Arizona that she would never leave her…. just my thoughts, but i havent watched the clip just waiting to watch the show tomorrow….lol

Comment by kelly – May 16, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your wrong, we need to have more backbone like Christina.

Comment by Shelia – May 16, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The promo says “six were in the crash…one will die” (or something to that effect….so I’m not sure a bait-and-switch is in effect after all…

Right now, I’m picking Mark to make a glorious, unselfish sacrifice to save Lexie or Arizona or Derek.

Comment by PFitzDC – May 16, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TV Line already said that Mark will be safe.

Comment by CC – May 16, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thats true Mark is the only one connected to all three of the worst injured- Derek is his best friend, Lexie he loves, and Arizona is helping raise his baby. He may ignore his own injuries to save the rest :,(

Comment by zee – May 16, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should all live, but one of the member of the cast will leave the show. I am afraid that Lexie or Arizona will die. OMG, I am holding my heart for the final episode of this season. Nobody should day, it’s a great cast. Can’t wait to see it..

Comment by soraya – May 16, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The opening is a great homage to Lost (which I still miss). This is going to be a gut-wrenching finale.

Comment by kaib57 – May 16, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just googled Season 9 news and here’s what’s posted:
    For fans worried sick (sorry) over which beloved cast members are going to make it to the next season of Grey’s Anatomy, the prognosis is good. Series originals Patrick Dempsey, Ellen Pompeo, Sandra Oh and Justin Chambers – along with Chandra Wilson and James Pickens Jr. – have all put pen to paper on a deal that will see them return for a ninth and tenth season on the ABC medical drama.

In a radio interview with Carson Daly this week, Dr. McDreamy himself discussed his relief over the end of the long contract negotiations. “It’s just so nice to have a job and it continues on as a wonderful thing, so, very grateful that it’s happening,” says Dempsey. “[I'm] very happy … to move forward and looking forward to another couple of years of the show.”

Comment by JKnapp – May 16, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love you for posting this!!! I heard last week that they did all renew, but to see something that PD actually said confirming that he will still be around…Oh I’m SO HAPPY!!!

Comment by Katie – May 16, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally thought Grey’s jumped the shark when Meredith wondered what life at the hospital would have been like had her mother survived and not had Alzheimer’s. Sigh…. that whole episode made me roll my eyes.

Only on Grey’s would Derek survive a shooting AND being sucked out of a plane!

Let’s kill Yang off! LOL

Comment by Jen – May 16, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone please tell me where they were going? I must have missed it last week, because it is driving me crazy not knowing.

Comment by sm1212 – May 16, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were going to the Boise Memorial Hospital for the surgical separation of the coinjoined twins we saw a picture of in the last episode.

Comment by Manny – May 16, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Dempsey said in a magazine interview that he didn’t want to return for another season.

Comment by kaib57 – May 16, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he must have changed his mind because he recently signed a 2 year contract.

Comment by anonymous – May 16, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Derrick finally gone????

Comment by betty – May 16, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! I just watched the 7 minute preview for season finale!! I CANNOT wait for 9pm tomorrow!!!

Comment by Katie – May 16, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the person that ‘dies’ is going to be Derick. He didn’t resign his contract for this next season. This is his final one. I sure didn’t expect a plane crash killing him though! So sad! I’m going to be crying so hard!!

Comment by GreysAddict – May 16, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He did, resign, I don’t know why people keep saying this

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Everyone is so un informed here… From HIS twitter page “Looks like two more years on Grey’s, love to know what people want to see happen?” People need to read more than one source for information

Comment by rog – May 16, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I stopped watching this show, when George died. Might watch this episode. I’m a tad bit far behind tho. haha

Comment by Kelli Chae (@kellichae) – May 16, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was sad when they killed off george (I stopped watching too) but started again and its a whole lot better!!!

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its arizona!!! Shes preggers in real life. Its not lexie.. Shonda is planning to bring mark and lexie together and I think she gets then together because of the accident. Everybody may think its lexie because she looks worse but the twist may be that she gets saved and arizona ends up dying.

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was also pregnant last year, it’s her second pregnancy during the show and she confirmed in january that she wouldn’t leave the show because she now has 3 kids.

Comment by Manny – May 16, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it will be Arizona over Lexie. Shonda said that Mark and Lexie have some resolution but it is bittersweet – they probably confess their mutual love but with Arizona gone, Mark will choose to focus on raising his child with Callie.

Comment by CJ – May 16, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, it could be bittersweet because they confess their mutual love on her deathbed… But I sincerely hope it isn’t that. That’ll rip my heart out, and not in a fun, dramatic-episode-of-tv way, but in a WHY SHONDA WHY??? way. Seriously, there comes a point where it’s just too MUCH.

Comment by jane – May 16, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know what you mean! I have a feeling that I will be bawling no matter who it is and how it goes down.

Comment by CJ – May 16, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they were going to Idaho to help with seperating conjoined twins…& Patrick Dempsey signed on for 2 more years!! :)

Comment by Katie – May 16, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Meredith, christina, karev, mark and bailey have renewed there contacts too :)

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why can’t I find the 7 minute preview? I only see the one for 29 sec

Comment by Dee Dee Boudreaux – May 16, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Search on youtube!!! Bluesky6134 is the users that has one of them up

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or go to abc.com greys page – its listed there under clips.

Comment by tvaddict70 – May 16, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • google: greys anatomy and then click on “watch full episodes.” right next to last week’s show is the 7 min. video. I’d post the link but I don’t know if it is permissible to post other links here.

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You can post other links and you should haha ;)

Comment by katy917 – May 16, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only person who hopes that Owen dies?

Comment by Sam – May 16, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not, but it’s not likely to be him.

Comment by kavyn – May 16, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope me too. But the likely hood of that is next to none

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t mind either…I he annoys me & I lost all respect for him when he cheated!

Comment by Katie – May 16, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s going to be Arizona because Karev was supposed to be on the plane but she took his place. So there will be all the drama of Alex feeling guilty and Callie blaming him ‘it should have been you’ and all that.

Comment by Terry – May 16, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few months ago Dr Bailey was on some talk shows & she’s starting a role on a new show. She is one of the writers for Greys Anatomy & the new show she’s starring in. She said she doesn’t want to go on with her character on Greys Anatomy any longer. If this is the case she will def be missed.

Comment by Mare – May 16, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Chandra Wilson recently signed a 2 year contract, so I doubt she’s going anywhere.

Comment by anonymous – May 16, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chandra Wilson is not one of the writers for the show. You are mixing her up with Shonda Rhimes, who is the creator of the show and one of the writers.

Comment by CC – May 16, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How major is the cast member? Maybe Adele, the chief’s wife is the one who dies.

Comment by haunted – May 16, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loretta Devine already confirmed via Twitter that she will be back next season.

Comment by CC – May 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That, too, could be a red herring though cos when she says “will be back next season” it could mean only for the first episode of the season.

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the 7 min preview, and why the heck would Derick do that thing with a rock instead of just wait….so stupid

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering, too. He had movement in his hand. I wonder why breaking it would possibly allow him to free his hand?

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it might be Arizona, Lexie or Kepner. Maybe Kepner killing herself because of her recent failures. But I don’t want Lexie to go…she just finally told Mark how she felt about him.

Comment by Cathy – May 16, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I went to ABC.com & watched the 30 second one 1st, then I scrolled down the page & saw the 7 minute one..& OMG Mare..I hope it’s not Bailey!!!

Comment by Katie – May 16, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why would it be bailey, she wasn’t on the plane and she also resigned for next year. I know that doesn’t matter sometimes, but I really don’t see it being her in any way

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bailey was not on the plane >.> she’s at the hospital with the rest >.>

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Highly doubt it since she is officially signed on for next season.

Comment by anonymous – May 16, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope mr Mac dery don’t did or meridath!!

Comment by Pam – May 16, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I hope Mr. McDreamy don’t die or Meredith”…?

Comment by gen – May 16, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the person screamin sounds like arizona i think it will b her

Comment by ashley – May 16, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you saw the 7 minute long preview yes you would see arizona yelling

Comment by vae – May 16, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • even the 2 min. version on this page shows that it is Arizona screaming.

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arizona is pregnant in real life and is leaving the show, she’s the one who dies.

Comment by Crystal – May 16, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica Capshaw is not leaving the show. It’s the second time she’s been pregnant while shooting and when asked if she were going to leave now that she’s going to have 3 kids she answered that she’s not going anywhere… Sarah Drew was also pregnant, her baby is like 4months old and she still was a big part of the season. Pregnancies don’t mean anything when it comes to leaving Grey’s or not..

Comment by Manny – May 16, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heidi..desperate times call for desperate measures..in that moment he probably thought that was his only way to be saved! OMG!!! I can’t wait for tomorrow night!!

Comment by Katie – May 16, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya I suppose but when you are a brain surgeon you kinda don’t want to wreck that particular part, just saying lol

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m wondering how breaking his hand would help him free himself from the plane?

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe it makes it easier to pull out of the airplane piece his hand was stuck in. Since his hand was swollen, he probably couldn’t free it.

Comment by Cathy – May 17, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the preview, we are initially led to believe it is Derik who dies but I think its Lexie from what everyone is saying…….. : (

Comment by Veronica – May 16, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s April because she has not job offers and she was just cut from Seattle Grace. If she isn’t working anywhere why would they keep her?

Comment by Gail – May 16, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know this makes no sense to me either, why keep her if she can’t work anywhere. Although Hunt said that he had to make cuts cause he just doesn’t have the money to keep her, which is why he let her go BUT although I hate to say this cause I don’t want it to happen, my guess would be Lexie may die leaving Seattle Grace needing another doctor and freeing up some of the budget, so he can offer Kepner a job. I totally hope I’m wrong though

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought about that too:(

Comment by Cynthia – May 16, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me being Nieve, I want to know.. why death? can’t someone move, or go on vactation?? As much as I love grey’s and i really really really do, I think that adding new characters just so you can kill off a few SUCKS! but this episode des look GREAT! (i’ll be holding a box of tissues) but then Merideth will probably go insane if it’s her sister because for some reason death surounds her :’( that being said YAY for season 9. (p.s –Wishes Denny and George didn’t have to die)

Comment by GreenEyedDiva – May 16, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know how many loved one does Mer have to lose, all she has left of family is her sister….and now Derek

Comment by Heidi – May 16, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :: Where is Derek??????????’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :’(

Comment by :: Florence... – May 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you google “greys anatomy” and go to abc.com’s offical website/full episodes, you will find a 7 min. video (that the above 2 min. video comes from) that answers yr question.

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, they can NOT kill Lexie. She is one of the few I like on this show.

Comment by Sue – May 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LEXIE BETTER NOT BE THE ONE WHO DIES!!!!

Comment by Alma – May 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They never said it was someone on the plane who dies, there just trying to make you think that & they try to make you believe its Derrek. There are many magazine adds & Dr Bailey was on many talk shows saying she doesn’t want to go on with her character on the show & she’s already started her role on the new show. That’s why I believe its Dr Bailey. And she is a loved cast member & an original cast member.

Comment by Mare – May 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She already has a contract for 2 more seasons, its not her! I think its either Lexie or Arizona.

Comment by Alma – May 16, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could be that you are confusing the actress who plays Bailey, Chandra Wilson, with the writer of the show, Shondra Rimes. The actress has already renewed for 2 yrs and is not on a new show though Shondra Rimes does have a new show on tv: “Scandal,” I think is the name.

Comment by Nancy – May 16, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was nice to see Derek is still alive but I was like wth when he did that with that rock? .. like seriously ..?lol he could have screamed a bit louder or maybe he couldn’t Idk

Comment by S – May 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a such a great show. I don’t want Derek to be dead neither. I don’t want to lose anyone of the cast. Can’t wait for the show. I think this is the best show ever. I love Merideth and Cristina. I love them all. This is so dramatic. On pins and needles.

Comment by Vicky – May 16, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post