American Idol Top 3 Tackle Judges' and Jimmy's Picks: Who Earned a Spot in the Finale?

You’ve got to hand it* to Randy Jackson: I can’t think of anyone else in the history of reality televion who could select a song for a contestant on a singing competition, then proceed to mess up its title live, on camera. (*And by “it,” I may or may not be referring to a pink slip.)

Yet that’s exactly what the Dawg did when he announced that Joshua Ledet would be covering “I’d Rather Be Blind” (which is actually called “I’d Rather Go Blind”) during American Idol‘s Top 3 performance night. Yes, folks, weep while you contemplate how much the “third judge” has stowed away in his checking account over the last 11 seasons.

But enough about Randy and his ilk! We’ve got to dish the final nine Season 11 performances before the two-part season finale. I’ll post a full recap of the proceedings on Thursday right here at TVLine.com, but until then, here are just a few pithy thoughts on what just went down.

Judges’ Choice
Joshua Ledet: Etta James’ “I’d Rather Go Blind” (picked by Randy) | I think I was feeling Joshua’s duds — black jacket with white stitching and red button holes, gray vest, red shirt, red rose accessory — a little more than the performance. But given that it was the outfit of the season (men’s division), that’s not too much of a knock on the vocal, which was solid, but perhaps just a wee bit disconnected.

Jessica Sanchez: Mariah Carey’s “My All” (picked by J.Lo) | The most challenging number of the night, and unfortunately, that was evident in the way Jessica seemed to be just under the note for at least a third of the song. To take out of context part of Jessica’s post-performance comment: “I wouldn’t have picked that song for myself.” Oh girl, I wouldn’t have picked it for you, either, unless I wanted an all-guy finale.

Phillip Phillips: The Four Seasons’/Madcon’s “Beggin” | It’s funny, when Jessica doesn’t give Randy a “moment moment moment,” he’s all over her like a baby to a bottle of formula. But when Phillip gives a decent but not particularly memorable performance, we get references to a “Phil Phillips concert.” (Also, who gave Randy permission to shorten Phillip’s name to Phil?)

Contestant’s Choice
Joshua Ledet: John Lennon’s “Imagine” | I loved how restrained Joshua’s vocal was here — J.Lo was right that he treated the lyrics like a sermon — but I wish the band’s arrangement had been equal to the task. Imagine this performance with just a piano, and no cheesy string section or sappy background “ahh-ahh-ahh-ahhs”? (It’s easy of you try.)

Jessica Sanchez: Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” | I’m not convinced this is the type of artist Jessica wants to be in a post-Idol world, but her Pocahontas-esque pantsuit and necklace were lovely. (Urgh, that was a total Paula Abdul critique from me.)

Phillip Phillips: Matchbox 20′s “Disease” | I’m not crazy, I’m just a little underwhelmed.

Jimmy’s Choice
Joshua Ledet: Mary J. Blige’s “No! More! DRAMA!” | Church attendance is sure to be down for the next few weeks, because Joshua took us there and back, then back again, then Baptized us all in the name of R&B and raw emotion, so really, there’s no need for a regular service, right? Also, lawdie, he took off his jacket again.

Jessica Sanchez: Jackson 5′s “I’ll Be There” | Her vocal was as light and pretty as a swarm of butterflies rising from a mountain meadow, but the song didn’t give Jessica the explosive moment of last week’s “And I Am Telling You…” Really, this was a Top 8 or Top 9 kind of performance when she really needed heavy artillery.

Phillip Phillips: Bob Seger’s “We’ve Got Tonight” | Jimmy may have had to force him into the role of the sensitive romantic, but it definitely worked for him. When Phillip actually follows the melody and hits the notes, the creakiness of his tone can be really evocative. Of all the performances tonight, this was the finest piece of storytelling, and because it closed the show, it might’ve wiped out memories of Phillip’s two prior (and weaker) numbers and earned him a slot in the finale.

Anyhow, I’ll be back to post a full episode recap on Thursday right here at TVLine.com. But until then, hit the comments and tell us who you think deserves to advance to the finale. And for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. junebug says:

Thank you, Phillip, for not choosing a song that has been song ad nauseum.

2. ivy says:

poor jessica. she got sore throat :(

• Terry says:

Sorry but that’s no excuse when P2 has been in pain all season long from kidney stones so bad that he needs surgery but he’s putting it off until after the show. I do feel for Jess though, it was the worst time to have a sub-par night but she may have a big enough fan base to put her in the top 2.

3. Jaycee says:

I thought Phillip’s “Beggin’” was great. I can’t stop singing it. It was like being at a concert from the staging, the two drummers. Go back an listen again, Slezak, because that was the performance of the night.

4. HairLikeATeddyBear says:

Hokay, now that I watched the entire show – I really like that MJB song performance. Lots of suspense brewing the first 2/3 and all just went bonkers towards the end! Sooo good. Joshua FTW!!

5. nikkiqm says:

Just wanted to say that this comment section is getting ugly and ridiculous. It’s about music and performances. Blind Phil fans like Tarc drive me crazy and crazed Jessica fans like Joe also drive me crazy. As a Jessica fan she didn’t have the best night last night but except for the Mariah song her voice was on point. As for Phil his last performance was great not better than Volcano but great none the less. He also benefited from his hometown package big time. But Phil has had some off performances and even if you are his biggest fan as I am Jessica you do him no justice if you never admit it. Also its sad Phil has kidney stones and it affects his singing and its sad Jessica had a sore throat last night. It shouldn’t be a competition of who was more sick and deserves more sympathy. Pathetic people. Hope Jessica pulls it through.

• Mary B says:

Jessica just might pull it through. According to dial idol her and Joshua are only a few votes apart. Jessica has a bigger fan base than Joshua and with internet and text voting she may actually beat him. I am a total P2 fan and yes I admit he has had an off night and so does he. His fans pulled him through when he was not feeling well and Jessica’s fans may do the same for her. Don’t be ready to say goodbye to Jessica just yet.

• deedee says:

*sob* I’m afraid you’re right. Poor Josh doesn’t stand a chance against the gale force winds of the Jessica voting contingent. That’s ok. Josh worked hard and had a great, great run. But at this point in the game, after being treated like a superstar in their home visits, the kids start to feel like they’ve already made it, so getting cut in third place is always a shock to their system. I think Joshua will be crushed tonight :(. Hope he does an upbeat sing-out.

• Marsaili says:

Oh man, I really hope you are wrong! ;-) I think Joshua deserves to be in the finale over everyone—I’m crossing my fingers for him!

• Mary B says:

I feel bad for Joshua. I blame the judges for his not having more fans. They just shoved him down everyone’s throat throughout the competition. All the standing o’s, statements like he is the best singer in 50 years. It turned so many people off. I am not a fan of his music but it is clear he is extremely talented, they ruined it for him. Plus I know he could have used some constructive criticism on not always having to go over the top on a song. I know I would have enjoyed him much more.

• Marsaili says:

I’m a huge Joshua fan, and I could care less what the judges do or say. Having said that—Joshua just doesn’t have the fanbase that Jessica and Phillip have—he is miles away from them and always has been. Of course, Colton had the largest fanbase of them all at one point–and look what happened to him?

• Mary B says:

Let’s face anyone of these kids deserve to win and whoever leaves tonight it will be heartbreaking. They are all so close they can taste it. They will all be fine and maybe the runners up will be the winners. They can be their own person. I love Phillip and I want him to win because I know he really wants it but would it really be the best thing for him.

• deedee says:

Amen. Why no constructive criticism?? It’s his first time really performing in front of big audiences (outside of Church and school plays)! For someone that green, he’s a mind-bogglingly good performer, but jeez, he’s not perfect. Give the man some guidance! Telling him he’s the best singer in 50 years is the kind of crap that can mess with anyone’s head. Dumb dumb dumb.

• tarc says:

Since they didn;t do a poll here, the poll at People is running 49% for Phillip for the final, 26% for joshua, and 25% forJjessica. Totally non-scientific of course, but plenty of general respondants.

• ET says:

And dialidol also showed Skylar at #1 the week she was booted off; it is worthless.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m not a fan of Jessica’s style of music but I’m glad to read her second and third performances were better (haven’t watched the DVR yet of the entire show).
      I agree, the comments here ARE ugly and ridiculous. this used to be a polite message board – did somebody bus in all the trolls?
      Sorry to read Jessica had a sore throat. That sure didn’t help her any in the difficult lower registers on the Mariah song.

• MA says:

I agree about the comments! I keep wondering if it was like this last year; can’t really remember, but don’t think so. Everyone needs to chill out. This is a TV show about music. It’s supposed to be fun!

• Mary B says:

Last year the board was very pro Haley and there was a lot of nastiness directed at Lauren and Scotty. I also was a Haley fan, still am, but there is no reason to be so vindictive against their favorites compitition. The difference from last year to this year most people here favored Haley but this year it is very split who the favorites are so which causes arguments.

• Marsaili says:

There is STILL tons of nastiness towards Lauren and Scotty—and Scotty is doing SO well! Of course, they are also dismissed because they are country singers and the people dismissing them also dismiss country fans as being stupid enough to like anyone. It’s all pretty sad—I listen to Lauren’s songs and to me, she’s just as talented as Jessica is–and the judges felt that strongly about her last year! But she’ll never get the credit because she’s a country singer—well, with the Idolverse, anyway. Of course, Haley—well, we all know what happened to her. ;-(

• MA says:

What do you mean, Marsaili? Haley’s doing fine.
            ***
            Hmmm…Mary B, that’s true. I guess it’s the arguments that seem so over the top. Who knows, but it certainly is disturbing.

• Marsaili says:

We all know what happened to her as far as what the judges did to her—Haley is my all-time favorite Idol!!!

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

@Marsaili … Lauren as talent as Jessica Sanchez? BAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

• Marsaili says:

yeah, exactly the reply I had expected. She will never get respect because she is a country singer and doesn’t do the Mariah and Whitney ballads—which she CAN do if she needs too. Yes, I will stand by MY opinion that Lauren is certainly as talented as Jessica. I listen to her and Jessica everyday–and they both have beautiful voices and are extremely talented. AND Lauren has a couple of hit singles on country radio and a hit record. Go ahead, blast country music next, I’m sure that’s coming.

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

Talented*

• WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

@Marsailli So wrong. My favorite singer in the world is Carrie Underwood FYI. So I don’t have a problem with country music at all, I do however believe Lauren sucks.

• tarc says:

Shove it, nikki. I’m about as far from a ‘blind’ fan of anyone as you can be. You’re just interested in pushing your agenda uninterrupted.

6. ClickMe says:

What a boring Top 3!!!
    Poor song choices for all of them….
    Jessica is the worst.. Her performances were so uninspiring… to boring….

zzzzzzzzz Top 3

7. carol522 says:

Joshua in the black T-shirt FTW!!

8. tomitweets says:

First, let me state, I have no favorites and I am not voting so I can’t complain about the results. On that note….reading all these comments just shows you how individuals love very different songs, very different artists. One person’s horrible is another one’s wonderful. Hopefully, for all of you committed to a performer, you are voting.

PS. I didnt even notice P2′s nervous thigh rub.

9. S says:

I liked Phillip’s Beggin song the best but yeah that’s just my opinion of course. Joshua wasn’t bad but he does go over the top and Jessica was shaky on that MC song and just eh on the others.

10. darcy's evil twin says:

I haven’t watched the entire program on DVR yet – watched the first three performances last night and just couldn’t stay awake any longer.
    I loved Joshua’s “I’d Rather Go Blind”. It wasn’t quite as passionate as a couple of his other performances but it was very good and you just can’t go wrong with old-school R&B in my world.
    P2′s performance of “Beggin’” was fine. Liked it.
    Jessica’s purple ball gown was stunning but whoever arranged “My All” should be killed and eaten. Plus, Jennifer should have to sing that song herself – I’ll even let her stand still and sing it.
    I am not fan of that style of music but it would have sounded much better in a different (just a little higher) key. Smoothing out the melody and getting rid of a few runs (like, about half of them in the lower register) would have given it a more pleasant sound and there would have been less comparisons to Mariah’s original. Jessica can sure belt out a song but this performance clearly demonstrated her lack of breath control and support – she reminded me of Lauren Alaina. Has she had any formal vocal training? Anyway, those difficult runs in the lower part of her register were not a good idea and affected her pitch. If there’s anyone out there reading this that knows more about music than I do (probably about 90% of you, LOL) please weight in. I haven’t read all the comments here, either, and I may just be repeating what others have already written.

11. kenbinc says:

That anyone could compliment (or enjoy) Mr. Ledet’s version of “No More Drama” is beyond me. It was a train wreck. That was not church. That was not “feeling”. That was a phoned-in shtick, predictably unhinged (no one could have been surprised by that overwrought ending), and wholly unpleasant to watch. And even if one thought the last third was good, how on earth could one excuse the first 2/3′s of that performance, which felt rushed, disjointed, and a little corny (his bouncing around the stage was distracting).

In the meantime, I’d like to propose a change for next season regarding the judges and their excessive standing ovations (which do nothing but incite rage from me anymore)…instead of standing up, the judges should have to do a stage dive every time they get the urge to overpraise a performance. That will fix the problem in two ways. First, it may deter them from leaving their damn seats in the first place; and second, if they do a stage dive, at least it should put them out of commission for a segment or two. Win/win for the audience.

Jessica Sanchez got the Haley treatment tonight. Those song choices were just blatantly manipulative; and I’m not even going to ask why the producers don’t abandon this whole “judges/executive” picks in Top-3 week, because I already know the answer. How else would they be able to sabotage the contestant they don’t favor for the finale? It’s their last stand! She didn’t help her own fortunes with that bizarre choice of an Aerosmith song that has been done to DEATH on previous seasons, but something tells me all the contestants’ hands were tied on that round too. Something tells me they were extremely limited in their selections. Can’t prove it, but it’s the only way I can make sense of her choosing that song over the kind of cut she would more likely record as a solo artist.

As far as I’m concerned, Jessica is the only potential superstar left. Not only has she got the best, most marketable voice and look, but the sheer magnitude of having a FEMALE win this show for the first time in a loooong time will set her apart and make her launch feel like a fresh start for a dying franchise. If another consecutive young, white rocker/guy wins this show, Idol will keep hemorrhaging viewers. It’s already inching toward that notorious shark.

• deedee says:

You had me up until the “Jessica is the only potential superstar” part. I get that you don’t enjoy Josh’s brand of singing – you would not be alone. It’s polarizing. I wouldn’t call his unhinged drama “phoned-in shtick”, though. Joshua’s not that cynical yet. It was clear to me that he was fighting hard to win this thing. He wants it pretty badly, that much is obvious. So, while he may have taken it over the edge, it was certainly not because of some jaded, been-there-done-that let’s give ‘em what they’re expecting attitude.

If Jessica wins, there is absolutely no guarantee that she’ll be a boost for the franchise. She’s young and female, but not particularly fresh or interesting when compared to acts that are already out there. She’s good, and all that, but not necessarily any more “superstar” material than either Josh or Phil or Skylar, for that matter. You can’t even remotely make such a call until after they’ve been out in the world selling their product. In my opinion, none of them will be huge stars, but they may carve a living out for themselves making music, which is something.

P.S. As I’ve thought all season – I still think Skylar is the money of the group.

12. John says:

I see Jessica as this years Jordin, Joshua as Melinda and Phil as Blake. It fits perfectly. During season 6 everyone this same night said Jordin was toast and that Blake (Phil) and Melinda (Joshua) would be the final two. #JessicaforFinale

13. john says:

I like something about all 3 so any 2 in the finale will be watchable (this is the 1st season I’ve felt that way). That being said, I think all 3 hit their pinnacles last week in terms of generating moments that stir you on the inside. So the odds were in favor of this week being something of a letdown. Helping these odds were the song choices, some of which seemed designed to mute certain people’s strengths, while others were opporunities lost.

Starting with Joshua, the Etta James song would’ve been fine 3 or 4 weeks ago but at this stage, we’ve seen him do tht genre too many times. I wanted to be moved by it but ended up looking down and finishing my pasta. Imagine was a missed opportunity for him. He should’ve done it without accompaniment or at most, just a piano or guitar. Instead we got an R&B/gospel syrupy mess. The MJB song was better but seemed desperate towards the end. That could’ve been the fault of Jimmy who overly hyped how she took it to church at the grammys. Joshua felt like he had to go crazy with it with made it hard for me to connect.

Jessica got short-changed the most. First, she got the worst possible Mariah song to sing. Most of it was too low a register for her so she spent the entire song just trying to get enough air in her to sing above the band. Mariah has so many songs with dramatic moments in them (how about “Vanishing”), I can’t help but think that this choice was a trap. Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing is a sappy ballad made interesting by having Aerosmith sing it. Having any great female singer sing it (Mariah, Celine, or even Jessica) still makes it a sappy ballad worthy of a bathroom break. I’ll Be There = dirty bomb. You only give it to someone if you want them gone. It was cute when a little boy and his family sang it in the 70′s but Jimmy must have known that having someone with Jessica’s show-stopping potential sing it as her last song was basically showing her the door.

Phillip got the best treatment from the show, which is surprising because he doesn’t seem to need the help based on his apparent fanbase. His 1st song was upbeat, inside of his limited range, and something he could “make his own”. To me, it was really the only moment that caught my full attention and entertained me. His choice of the Rob Thomas song didn’t help him much; just more of the same stuff he’s done all along (I washed my pasta dish). We’ve Got Tonight was the money song for him which sealed his fate. Bob Seger’s voice is similar to his, it diverts people away from his Dave Matthews imitation, and it’s full of dramatic opporunity. I don’t know if it’s because he’s sick but he really could’ve made that performance better by letting his voice soar towards the end (like Bob Seger does) and making it more urgent. To me, he dialed it down a little too much.

I’m hoping that the show gives both finalists equal chances to win and avoids what they did this week (made it boring). It took the entertainment level way down from the prior week.

• deedee says:

Wow, your summary is pretty dead on, john! Best line: “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing is a sappy ballad made interesting by having Aerosmith sing it”. How true! Without Steven’s bad-boy rasp, the song is complete schmaltz on toast.

Re “Imagine” – yes, doing it a capella (sp?) or with just a soft guitar backing and *not a run in sight* would have been much, much better. But even better would have been to ditch it altogether, and go for something like “She’s Out Of My Life” with a single guitar strumming. He desperately needed another “Ready For Love” last night.

Overall, you’re right. Last week was a peak for all 3 of them, so this week was going to be a letdown. Also, doing 3 songs causes each number to be slightly rushed, and that’s rarely a good thing.

• deedee says:

Oh, and forgot to mention: I don’t think “My All” was designed to sabotage Jessica. It’s a beautiful song, and I’m pretty sure whoever picked it (Nigel?) thought it would suit Jessica’s lovely voice and show off its softer side (inappropriate lyrics aside). Turns out she struggled with it, but I honestly wouldn’t have thought it would be so hard for her. Not sure why she chose such a low key.

And “I’ll Be There” was a hit for Mariah Carey, so that shouldn’t have been a trap for Jessica either. She stuck to the original J5 version almost to the note. There was plenty of room for her to diva-up that melody of she wanted.

• Mary B says:

I agree I don’t think they tried to sabotage her at all. Steven actually went so far and said she would be the winner. Phillip actually got the harshest criticism of them all and he was really good about it. I just think Jessica was not feeling well and had an off night. All of them really looked exhausted and there just may not have been enough time to fine tune all their performances. It was a very busy exhausting week for them.
          Change of subject. It bothered me that Joshua was the only one who did get the surprise present from Jimmy. I wonder why. Talk about being unfair.

• deedee says:

What surprise present?

• Mary B says:

The phone with that speaker box. I don’t know what its called but it was how he gave them their song choice from him. Joshua just got a text.

• deedee says:

Oh yeah. That was weird. Probably a production glitch somewhere, or FedEx lost the delivery. I don’t think there was anything sinister or intentional about it.

14. Tommyo2000 says:

This week is the hardest week of the contest .. a lot of songs, song choices from others that the contestents would likely not pick or not really their fav, hometown visits … One of the contestents always vocal troubles at this time. Lauren had issues, Crystyl had issues, Jessica has issues.. just tough … And for those downplaying a sore throat for a singer, really?? its would be like a wide reciever having playing on a sprained ankle… give her credit, she didnt mention it on the show… she could have done that for some sympathy votes

• Marsaili says:

I wasn’t meaning to downplay her sore throat—it came off that way but I seriously wasn’t–my point was that her fans are giving her a pass because she has a sore throat (which she should have because she’s been consistently good) but they don’t give Phillip the same pass when he is in horrific pain and has an off night because of it. My beef wasn’t with Jessica being sick—it was with the hypocrisy of some of her fans. I actually think she did really well last night, considering!

15. Lisa says:

Jessica is the best singer, Joshua is the best performer, and Phillip has the most charm and charisma. The truth is that this competition is about all of those elements, not just one. That’s how these 3 made it so far.

16. Beck says:

SLEZAK HAS COME TO THE DARK SIDE! HE WANTS PHILLY IN THE FINALE!!!!!!!!!!

17. Rocky says:

Jessica may indeed fall tonight, although I personally would send Joshua home. Not that he deserves it, but someone has to go, right?
    But down the road, the smart money on a successful music career goes to Jessica Sanchez. Put her in the studio with a healthy throat, and she will shine and rise head and shoulders above the other 2.
    I’m not a PhilPhil fan, but he had a good night until he butchered the Bob Seger song. But, I wish them all good luck. At this point, there are no losers. They should all be proud of what they have done.

18. Here is the problem with this season as a whole. It seems like the top 3 have never, in any point in the competition, been encouraged to push themselves in any way. PP always sings a PP style song, Joshua sings gospel, Jessica sings R&B. So what do the judges pick when it is their turn to choose? SAME THING. As a viewer, it just becomes so predictable and boring, and I also think the singers suffer as a result. Give them songs with a different style that forces them to find a way to interpret it. Oh, and make the age limit 18! Jessica is so talented, but the one thing everyone can agree on is she needs to live life, go through things, get out of her house! How can a cloistered, home-schooled 16-year old have any way to sing other than to just mimic what she likes?

19. Dan says:

You’re crazy. Philip’s first performance was easily the most entertaining of the first round, and his Seger cover fit like a glove. Who knew that Jimmy actually knows what he’s talking about.

Unfortunately, for a Top 13 that made me think we would get a female winner almost without doubt, we may not even wind up with one in the finale.

• Lalala says:

Really, Elise is the only one I could see making the finale. She had quite a few exciting performances that all of the other girls lacked (except maybe Skylar).

• Cris says:

Jessica is the only one I see making it to the finale, because no matter what you say, the reality is the other girls have been eliminated.

20. Lalala says:

I still can’t get over how much Jessica sucked. All three of her performances were early round rejection level. It is her time to go. Phillip and Joshua would make the best finale! Elise or Hollie should have been Top 3 instead of Jessica (who clearly did not merit the save!)

• Cris says:

Why can’t you get over it? Seems you dislike Jessica so much, it should be easy for you. BTW, Jessica clearly deserved the save.

21. two J's all the way says:

The song choices given to Jessica were straight sabatoge. I agree with Michael, “I’ll be There” is not the type of song to sing trying to get into the finale. The best song she did do was the song she picked but J Lo’s choice was straight gangsta, i.e. “Baby, you are not going to the finale”.

• Stevie says:

Excuses, excuses. Sore throat, sabotage… anything but Jessica being responsible for doing bad!

• Marsaili says:

I think the sabotage theory is ridiculous but to wah wah wah her about her sore throat is just nasty and overall she has put on excellent performances over the entire season. I think she did have a bad night—but I still think she did really well so I don’t know what everyone is crying about. I do think that it’s funny that when she does finally have a not-so-perfect performance, everyone is ready to blame anyone but her—but I still think she did really well, so again, I don’t know what the big deal is here.

22. Polly says:

I am sick of people whining about Jessica’s sore throat. Wah wah wah. The same people rake everyone else over the coals when they are sick but naturally 16 YEAR OLD Jessica Sanchez is an exception. I will be delighted seeing her get the boot tonight!

23. Stevie says:

The biggest mystery of this season: How in the world did Jessica Sanchez make it this far? She sucks! Just another wasted save like every other time they used it. Maybe when Jessica gets rejected tonight they will just give up on the save. It is worthless as can be.

• Cris says:

When a brain like yours is clouded by your prejudice, dislike for Jessica or simply that you have another favorite, it will always be a mystery for you.

• Marsaili says:

You know, I have my opinions of the contestants and it’s my opinion and everyone has one—but to say that Jessica sucks is just so beyond ridiculous—-I won’t buy her music—but I do like to listen to her studio versions of all her songs (I have purchased every album this season) and I am blown away by her obvious talent. I do think she is too young to be singing songs about mature sunjects—and people can go on and on about what is on the pop charts or how there are no songs that aren’t about mature subjects–that’s all BS—because I have kids/teenagers and they listen to songs by artists Jessica’s age. And there ARE plenty of songs that aren’t about sex or sleeping with/waking up next to people or huge losses of love. I can see why some people don’t like her—diva ballads don’t go over well with everyone–and that’s ok. But to totally dismiss her talent, to write that Jessica sucks—that is so wrong, in so many ways. The thing about this season—EVERYONE is extremely talented and extremely different. Comparing Jessica to Phillip or Joshua to Colton or Elise to Skylar—-it’s all a joke because none of them sing the same genre of music and therefore are NOT comparable. It’s cool to not care for someone’s music—but the lies need to stop—you may feel that Jessica sucks, Stevie, but it’s not true in any way.

• tarc says:

“Cris” blathered on the same thing to me. Appearently, he doesn’t actually read the posts; if you don’t gush over Jessica, he posts something inane.

• Cris says:

Tarc, can you please cite specifically where I blathered.or posted silly things. Marsaili is actually reacting to Stevie, not me. You just got caught… you did not read the post.

24. two J's all the way says:

It is funny how everyone, including J Lo, Randy, and Jimmy, want to get Jessica booted off. What did she do other than being a talented 16 year old. The problem is Jimmy is not the right person to produce a record for Jessica and does not seem like he wants to. Why in the world would he select “I’ll be there” as her final song choice, really? After last week’s show stopping performance Jessica was sabatoged by the song choices of J Lo and Jimmy but I think it will backfire. I just made me and I am sure many others vote for her even more.
    I am from GA and like Phillip but I do not want to see him win. I would love to see Jessica take on Joshua in the finale and see the judges reaction; they clearly wanted her gone tonight. It reminds me of how they did not even select Candice to make the top 24 women in Las Vegas.

• deedee says:

I didn’t see it that way at all. She wasn’t the only one being criticized. The judges absolutely slammed Phillip’s second song, which I didn’t think was all that bad. Jessica had an off night with perfectly acceptable songs – it happens. Her personal choice could have been more creative, but whatever. It was still pretty cool to perform a song in front of the original artist who made it a monster hit..

• Marsaili says:

How do you come up with the idea that the judges want her voted off? I’m watching the same show and getting a totally different vibe—I think the judges LOVE her and have all season. I don’t understand how and why they choose to give standing O’s—for all we know, one of them could have ants in their pants are are standing up and the other two just follow. But to say they want her gone is ridiculous—they have done nothing but give her love all season. I think I’ll be There was a perfect song choice for her—and she sang it well—-but she didn’t do anything new with it—which is a problem with a lot of the songs she does so it’s not the song choice that is the problem, it is that Jessica doesn’t know how to fully put her own into a song yet. There is no sabotage here—Jessica had an off night—ALL of the idols have had off nights—and some went home because of them. Jessica is a 16 year old girl, she isn’t perfect, none of them are perfect.

25. imho says:

I didn’t get Jimmy’s song choices either. The No More Drama was a favor he owed to MJB, in my opinion. Hardly a song people pick as a fave on their ipods. He wants Jessica to sing current songs so he picks the Jackson 5?? Ever hear of Bruno mars or Adele? P2 was fantastic as always, but please – who cares if the guys sings the melody? Simon got all over people who didn’t change songs up – bet he wishes P2 tried out for X-factor – ha!

• tarc says:

I love Mary J, and Joshua didn’t do that song any justice. Bruno Mars would have been a much, much better choice. And the Jackson 5 pick for jessica was just dreadful – so boring. I’d have loved to hear her do robbie William’s Angels, for example. It’d be simple, a chance to show she can blow while dropping all the annoying tricks, and she’s right there with the message and the emotional level. And with Phillip? That was about the only thing I liked Simon for: he practically forced the contestants to find a sound and start learning how to make song choices fit their abilities. (The fact he hated jazz, blues, rock, and reggae made me loathe the guy as much as his fixation on 80′s balladeers, but he wasn’t completely wrongheaded.)

26. Name That Tune says:

I wasn’t stunned by any of the performances last night. Something about having to learn 3 songs and make a hometown visit just leaves them with less time to prepare. They all did what they usually do. It’s clear that TPTB are pushing for a Joshua/P2 finale. For last night I rank them:
    1. Joshua
    2. P2
    3. Jessica – hurt by song choices more than anything.
    For the SEASON, I rank them:
    1. Joshua
    2. Jessica
    3. P2
    I don’t know how the vote is going to go. The best finale would be Joshua/Jessica, but I’ll be mildy surprised if P2 isn’t there at the end.

27. Chloe says:

Jessica should not even be in the competition at this point. She was voted off. It makes the whole show seem like a setup to have her win the whole thing, and if she does I’ll be angry. The judges save is the worst idea this show has had.

• Cris says:

Live with it. It’s part of the game. You can be angry all you want. The judges’ save is a very good idea. What if the save was used on your favorite, would it still be the worst idea?

• deedee says:

Yes, it would, because a bad idea is a bad idea no matter who it happens to benefit in a given season. That’s called ‘being objective’.

• tarc says:

The judge’s save isn’t a bad idea – it’s a feature on a lot of reality shows. At the end of the day, it’s about making cash, and anything that ups the interest level makes them more money. The actual show is just a side efect of the cash-raising.

• deedee says:

But I wasn’t talking about the show or what makes money for the show. I was just pointing out to Cris that if somebody thinks something (anything) is a bad idea objectively, then it wouldn’t matter if it benefited them, personally, or not. It’s either a bad idea or a good idea – not depending on which way the wind blows.

• tarc says:

LOL! And I agree with you (at least in principle), deedee. :D

28. ena says:

i do not know why the judges gave phillips a standing ovation . . my gosh a singer without a melody . . .phillips against joshua in the finals . . BORING . . but joshua against jessica in the finals fantastic . . this is no time for the judges to be biased or over acting . .

29. zaza says:

I thought it was so cute when the camera cut to Shannon in the audience after Phillip’s last song and you could see her mouthing “he’s so cute.” And Holly reached over and fanned Shannon. Adorable!

• Marsaili says:

It’s funny to see Shannon, who is SO tall and Hollie who is SO short standing next to each other! They were very cute last night, I can’t wait to see them all together again!

• jayen says:

I saw that too! I also noticed that all the other contestants stood and clapped a lot for Phillip, but not so much for the other two. I think they’re pulling for him to win. And so am I!!

30. I did not necessarily want an all-male finale, but after last night, sorry Jessica’s 1 & 2 perfomances were weak (for her). I know she is awesome and can do better but last night lost it for me. I disagree that P2′s performances were underwhelming though. Joshua is a great church singer but I’d rather buy a Phillip Phillips CD – I want him to win.

31. we shall see tonight says:

I did not like any of the song choices except the last one for Phillip but I do not agree with Randy that it was “his best performance of the whole season”, I think that was just to give the last performance of the night a boost, it was not anything special to me.

Personally I can see any of the three winning but I think Joshua gets the boot tonight and no one is to be blamed but the judges. They have over praised him, given him too many standing ovations, and J Lo’s “the best singer in the last 50 years” was the kiss of death. It not have made less people vote for him but it made more people vote for other contestants.

Based on the talent level from this year (very good top 10) it would be fitting to have two SINGERS, in the finale. Phillip is who he is, a solid performer who knows how to stay in his lane and do well in it, but as far as vocally, it is Joshua and Jessica hands down. I hope the two of them make it and then they have some song choices that allow them to showcase what they do best. Those songs tonight were horrible, especially after the show stopping performances from last week when everyone stepped up.

Several people are saying they did not like the contestants’ choices but they are given a list, it is not like earlier in the season when they could chose any song they liked because I am sure Jessica would have chosen a more diverse song from the other two given by JLo and Jimmy (which were horrible choices for different reasons).

• tarc says:

I’ll happily vote again for the best *singer* in the competition – Phillip Phillips.

• Marsaili says:

I wouldn’t say he’s the best singer—but to me he is the best musician, his voice appeals to me and his guitar playing is awesome! Jessica and Joshua are great singers—but with all this WGWG hate going on—I don’t understand how someone can dismiss a multi-talented person who can sing AND play an instrument AND write their own music—that takes a hell of a lot more talent than someone who just sings whatever is put in front of them. Now, I happen to like a lot of singers who just sing whatever they have in front of them—but I always prefer the person (guy or gal) who can do it all.

• tarc says:

I see what you mean, but to me, all of that comprises what makes a singer to me. In an example I’ve used other places, that’s whay I’d take Billie Holliday over Christina Aguilera a hundred times out of a hundred. it’s all about making music that moves people, rather than brittle perfection or technical tricks. It won’t be long before we’ll have synthetic singers (literally totally synthesized) that can sing whatever you like, however you program it to sing (and heuristic algorythms to make it sound more natural). There’s something irreplacable about someone that can move people with their own music.

32. givemeglenn says:

To the idiot who made the snide comment about Phillip and his homecoming trip/concert/fans: I was at his concert, so let me give you a couple of FACTS… Phillip was actually about 2 hours LATE to his parade and concert, which was actually Saturday afternoon, because he got hung up visiting the children at the pediatric ward at the local hospital.

Even though Phillip was so late, there were still over 10,000 people waiting for him, and even though he was in obvious pain, he still sang 7 songs for his fans. I might add that while Jessica had a short helicopter ride to her home town and Joshua only had about a 3 hour flight home, Phillip had a nearly 5 1/2 hour flight (each way) which was very difficult on him physically for the show. If you’ve never had kidney stones, then you have no right to talk about the level of pain he’s in. Some people can’t even stand up, much less sing. His is so bad, he’ll have to have an operation when the competition is over.

Has he ever made one excuse? Nope…Phillip just goes out and sings his music to the best of his ability. Does everyone have to like his style? Absolutely not, that’s ridiculous. Should everyone respect him for going out every week and performing? You’re darned right they should. Personal insults are ridiculous. Here we have people insulting kids 21 years of age and younger, performing week in and week out in front of millions of people doing amazing jobs in their own right and there are so called “fans” doing nothing more then demeaning their names by insulting other artists and their fans. Trying to build up your artist by belittling others does nothing more than make your artist look bad. My guess is that none of them would like any of you to support them if they knew you did it this way, regardless of which artist you supported.

Jessica is an American, so stop all of the BS that she isn’t. On the other hand, let’s also stop all of the negativity about Phillip just being another “white boy with a guitar” as that’s derogatory just like some of the insults being thrown around at Jessica.

Grow up people.

33. Rusty says:

The boys stay.

34. lisak says:

I haven’t been a Phillip fan BUT i thought he did the best last nite. I particularly liked his own song pick and think it illustrated the kind of thing he’ll probably be doing in the future. Jessica has great potential – but needs a few more years to not sound like a kid doing a talent show. I love Joshua – fun to listen to – but not sure what he can do as an original in future ….

35. Selli says:

Picture P2 singing the National Anthem at a major sporting event. (I’m wondering if that should be part of the audition process? Just being practical here. It’s part of the job.)

• Marsaili says:

No, there are many different types of singers—and only certain types are able to do the Star Spangled Banner—one of the hardest songs to sing. There are plenty of singers who would not volunteer to sing that song.

• tarc says:

And why on Earth do you assume that the ability to sing one specific type of song covers the spectrum of excellent singing?

36. Tommyo2000 says:

I would not buy the sabotage theory, but there should be some coordination between the three song picks to highlight the individuals talent. Randy looking for a moment in that song, where?? He was right, but should have chided, Jimmy not her. And frankly I was disapointed in Jimmys pick .. just because she is 16 you dont have treat her like a kid … she has a mature voice beyond her years so it does not sound off when she is singing bluesy soulful material …

She also tweeted earlier she was going to sing something she already sang … obviously that changed and i wonder if it was her song choice … if she was forced to change up the the Aerosmith song that you can understand how people might think that there was some sabotage … two not so great choices by the judges and not being allowed to sing your own first pick … just saying

37. Jaime says:

I am not a fan of Phillip Phillips’ journey through Idol, but Why Don’t You Stay was his best performance of the year and I give him credit for really going for it. Also, I found his trip home to be really genuine and his dad was adorable. I am not saying, I want him to win Idol, but I honestly couldn’t pick up the phone to vote against him last night…

38. darcy the slutty twin says:

All I could do during the show was imagine that it was me Phillip was stroking when he was rubbing his thigh for his final song. He was totally sending me a sex signal through the TV. It was perfect.

I think Jessica should survive the results based solely on her hot dad with the sexy biceps. I could not take my eyes off his arms.

39. Betsy says:

1. Jimmy Iovine is a stupid song picker. And, man, he’s even shorter than Ryan Seacrest!

2. I thought all three contestants were FANTASTIC and proved they all deserve to be there and they all deserve to win. There should be a three-way tie.

40. billy says:

I love Jessica Sanchez, but I know this wasn’t her best night at all. I don’t blame her; JLo and Jimmy gave her terrible songs and she picked a pop track for herself because last week Jimmy said she should stay away from growling. She’s 16 and I feel she just follows whatever she’s told to do. Yes she was under the weather, but she tried her best and it wasn’t as bad as everyone keeps saying it is! Her songs were terrible choices for her but she still managed. It just seems a bit off because her previous weeks seemed so flawless. People forget that she’s human. She isn’t perfect, and she’s still a baby pretty much. Even if this wasn’t her best night, she still deserves a finale spot. It still amazes me how well she handles all the hatred and criticism at her age, and how she performs without any fear on stage and just goes for all these notes without any restraint. I hope she’s in the top 2! At this point they’re all good, but one bad night can really make the others, who don’t really change up what they do, look much better. Poor Jessica! I’ll pray for you! :)

41. billy says:

Maybe this is why JLo is leaving Idol… She’s getting so much hate from people! O.O I did not know Idol was still a big of a thing. I just started watching again because of Jessica Sanchez… But I never thought it would still have such a strong viewer community still!

42. Sheena says:

anyone who criticizes jessica’s vocal ability discredits record producers, great musicians and artists who was struck by her capability and even want to write songs for her or sign her.

so just ignore the people who says she’s not going anywhere in her career..

• Marsaili says:

You can say the EXACT same thing about Phillip—he’s got record producers, all the mentors and former Idols rooting for him in spades–Jimmy’s been waiting to make a record with him for months!

43. Sheena says:

just ignore the people who says she’s not going anywhere in her career..
    because Brandy said once when Jessica joined America’s got talent that she;s going to be a legend someday. and she has the support of great singers musicians record producers

44. Sheena says:

45. Sheena says:

so stop criticizing as if you knew so much about music like these real musicians and artists.

46. Sheena says:

criticisms must be really objective and not an attack to the person itself.
    how immature and shallow character

47. Sheena says:

pls don’t misunderstood me, i like both phillip phillips and jessica also.