Dancing With the Stars Week 9 Results Recap: And Then There Were Three...

The distance between great and amazing is quite small on this season of Dancing With the Stars — really, all four couples remaining at the beginning of this week’s results show were qualified to progress to next week’s final grab at the Mirrorball Trophy. But only three did, and maybe not the three you’d have expected. Here’s how the semifinal week of DWTS played out:

Definitely through | Despite being at the bottom of the leaderboard last night after a ghastly mistake twinged her back and adversely affected their scores, Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas sailed into the finals on a surge of good will from the voting audience. As Katherine pogoed around the stage in glee at the news, Tom Bergeron noted, “I’m no doctor, but her back looks better now.” William Levy and Cheryl Burke, who performed their samba as the judges’ encore choice, also progressed to next week’s ultimate dance-off.

The rest of the hour | Alanis Morrissette premiered her new single, “Guardian.” (Think more “Thank U” than “You Oughta Know.”) Former DWTS pro Julianne Hough, along with her Rock of Ages co-stars Diego Boneta and Mary J. Blige, performed a medley of songs from the upcoming movie version of the rock musical. Anyone else think that Hough, breathless from performing and sporting frizzed-out ’80s hair, still tossed to commercial with more presence and enthusiasm than Brooke? Carrie Underwood later took the stage to sing “Good Girl” in a peacocky, shiny dress that featured webbing and feathers, but somehow worked. Strange.

Couples in Jeopardy
Maria Menounos and Derek Hough
Donald Driver and Peta Murgatroyd

The audience booed heavily when Maria and Derek were announced as being in trouble, but the pair seemed to expect their fate. Their competition did not; during the recap of the previous night’s performances, Donald made it very clear that he didn’t want to go anywhere. “Hell yeah, I want to make it to the finals,” he said in an incredulous falsetto. As it turns out, he got his wish — much to the audience’s dismay. When Maria and Derek were sent home, the boos reached a crescendo. But the oft-injured Extra host, who cried so often, held it together. “I learned how strong I was. I learned to persevere,” she said, head held high. Her partner offered this take: “She’s not just a champion at dancing, but a champion of life.” Um, Derek, she’s not a champion of dancing. You guys got sent packing. But we know what you mean.

What do you think? Did the right contestants get axed? Who’s your favorite to go all the way? Tell us about it in the comments!

1. So, so, so happy with this result!

• Michael says:

So, so, so unhappy with this result. Maria was by far the most improved this season, and had one of last nights two best dances.

• Kim R says:

Agreed. Very unhappy with the public’s decision. Maria was amazing & such a trooper to push through her injuries. I don’t understand the hate on for Derek and Maria at all. :(

• G says:

Just because they didn’t receive as many votes doesn’t mean there was a lot of hate for them. I really liked all 4 couples left, but was okay with Maria leaving. Any of the 4 leaving was going to be disappointing. To me that is a good thing as it means we finally had 4 couples left in the semi’s that really deserved to be there. Also this happens all the time in voted competitions, the person(s) with the highest scores don’t receive the votes they need as people assume they are safe and vote for other people they are afraid may go home due to having lower scores.

2. Amanda says:

Yes! I love when the sub-par dancer that the producers try to push ever year fall short. Maria was that dancer this year. Voters saw through the overscoring.

3. smidnite says:

If anyone was overscored this year, it was that soulless Barbie doll Katherine.

Mariea had a sweet personality; Katherine has about as much as a slice of plain white bread.

4. Isabelle says:

So happy with how it went. Next week should be a lot of fun if they don’t tire themselves out.

5. Ash1157 says:

The endless crying got old last night. Glad she’s gone!

6. toristunes says:

Reblogged this on Tori and commented:
    Yay another week for William!!!!! :)

7. M says:

After seen Katherine jump like crazy I question her ” injury”

• Isabelle says:

I questioned for a second also then realized it was a spasm and nothing too serious. She probably turned the wrong way or needs to drink more water. The showed harped a lot about it but it was never as serious as some of the other injuries.

• Lily says:

She said she forgot about it in her happiness but it did hurt and she realized it after the fact.

• BillyBob says:

Mark is such a tooord! It is plain that he did not clear Katherine and kicked her in the side. Katherine took the blame and he let her…even after they showed it again in slo-mo he said he said it was too foggy to remember..WT

• Judy says:

You are so right! It was Mark who made the mistake and yes he did let Katherine take the blame…how spineless is that? And oh so convenient when he said “my mind blacked-out at that point so he can’t remember what happened!” Give me a break…very disappointing Mark!!

• G says:

You have obviously never had a back spasm. They can come out of no where and you really have a hard time moving, feels kind of like a lightning bolt shooting through your entire body. Sometimes they linger for days, other times they go away much quicker. I’m sure that DWTS has good trainers and doctors as well.

8. Tess says:

Knew the guys would make it based on probable larger vote totals. Of the girls, Katherine is a better overall dancer (and has been all season) than Maria…add in her lower scoring putting her in the bottom and possible injury and you get sympathy voting and worried voting whereas Maria fans may have been complacent since she was on top in scoring (plus she may have had fewer fans voting to begin with). I for one am happy with this top 3. They’re all great and anyone could win, but I’m rooting for Katherine to take it.

• Alice says:

I think you are right abou the worried voting. I always use all my votes for Katherine online, but I rarely bother to call because she has consistently had very high scores. But last night I was worried enough to use the phone and the accounts for all 4 of my e-mail addresses. Katherine isn’t well known in the states, so I don’t think her fan base is larger than Maria or Derek’s, but we were probably more motivated because of that mistake. Can’t wait to see what Marc does for the freestyle!

• Nick says:

Me too, go Katherine. :)

9. Pretty sure either Donald or William will win; their fans are massive. I love Kath the most; she’s the epitome of ballroom dancing to me among all the celebrities this season. I’ll be happy with her dancing beautifully and at last receiving perfect scores.

10. Angela says:

Slightly surprising, that result, but eh, I understand the result, too-I think the sentiment from some here about wanting someone other than Derek to get a shot again has been spreading a bit. A shame in a way, ’cause I thought he and Maria did quite well last night, but I’m not too bothered either way. I’m torn between rooting for Katherine and William-I hope it comes down to those two battling it out, and whomever wins, I’ll be happy.

11. Isabelle says:

Agree; another week of William!! Also how amazing was it seeing Blake from S1 of SYTYCD as Alanis sang? He does those spins to perfection.

• Margaret says:

ahh Blake was perfection, i hope we see him on SYTYCD this season, especially bc the Canada version was cancelled. and his sister choreographed the number!! did anyone else catch Chris Judd in the Rock of Ages number? hard to believe he was married to J Lo & now he’s dancing in the ensemble on DWTS, yikes.

12. sam says:

Katherine should win it, she’s amazing.

13. afghan says:

I really loved Maria. At first, I got a crush on William cause he looked really good. But, Maria won my heart cause of how far she has come. All four deserved to be in the final. I know half, if not, 75% of the votes are going to William. So I think he is the most likely winner. Donald is a NFL player so he might just creep up there. So it’s between those 2. I am happy Katherine made it to the finals. Her body of work all season had been so consistent. And All-Star season, I want Nicole and Gilles back. I want them back so badly.

14. MK204 says:

This is the Top 3 I called at the very beginning and I’m happy with the results. I would have preferred Roshon and Chelsie in the semi finals, but it is what it is. I voted for Katherine because I started to see a pattern with the judges’ scores.

I’m very happy with the results. Katherine is the best female dancer this season and William is the best male. I hope Katherine takes it. She seems so genuinely sweet.

15. Mark says:

I’m rooting for Katherine! I had hoped Maria would make it over either guy.

16. Jaime says:

Look I love Maria but Derek’s won three times. The producers need to give him more of a challenge now because this all seems so easy for him.

• Steve says:

Easy for him??? Shouldn’t he be commended for his ability to teach these celebrities how to dance? Because he has won 3 times doesn’t mean Maria and him should have been voted off. Sad thing is poor Katherine who is the best dancer will not win because all the women watching the show will be voting for the man just because they are good looking men. What a joke.

17. Roberto says:

The show has become a complete joke – especially the pathetic excuse for judges. Why a Brit is even on the American version of DWTS escapes me. Patrick Swayze said it after season one – the fix is in. The ratings continue to drop and I for one am done with this travesty.

18. kat says:

I’m sad Maria went. I didn’t really care if they won or not, but I wanted to see what Derek would do for their freestyle.

19. Melissa says:

Sooo happy with the results. I think William should win the how thing and I can’t stand Derek so didn’t bother me at all to see them go. Final 2 should be William and Katherine, with William winning.

• Steve says:

Let me guess your happy William stayed because your one of the women sitting by the phone voting like a mad fool because you actually think you have a chance if you ran into him on the street? Ridiculous that William advanced just because of his looks, lets not forget how many mistakes he had made earlier in the season, the type of mistakes that would have had that couple voted off if ABC, the judges and lonely houswives didn’t push to keep him. No way Maria should have left, consistently week in and week our Maria, Katherine & Donald were the best technical dancers. I really enjoyed this show because it was the last one where people were voted because of their abilities or lack there of and not just looks. Now I have no competition show on TV to watch because they all now follow the same format. What a joke.

• Judy says:

I agree with you Mellisa, 100%!! I haven’t chewed my fingernails in 20 years and after watching DWTS & Private Practice last night I have little nubby fingernails now…what’s up with that? LOL

20. chattwen says:

The look on Donald’s face said it all when Tom said “the result is going to suck” which was a reference to Maria’s & Derek’s vampire dance — Donald knew he had advanced to the finals.

21. BillyBob says:

Mark is such a tooord! It is plain that he did not clear Katherine and kicked her in the side. Katherine took the blame and he let her…even after they shoed it again in slo-mo he said he said it was too foggy to remember..WT….

22. edma says:

Esto apesta como es posible q maria y dereck se hayan ido cuando ellos tuvieron las dos mejores presentaciones de la noche anterior, porfavor la q tenia q irse era katherine a perdido el control x completo y n o me han gustado las ultimas presentaciones q ha tenido estan locos los norteamericanos q sacaron del aire a uno de los mejores MARIA Y DERECK ustedes ganaron para mi, es mas tenia la fuerte conviccion de q maria y donald iban a quedar entre los dos mejores he dicho ESTAN LOCOS NORTEAMERICANOS Q VOTAN X CUALQUIERA Y SACARON A LA MEJOR

23. Forwarddad says: