X Factor's Simon Says: With Britney and Demi Lovato, 'We're Seriously Going to Kick Butt'

It’s now 110-percent double-secret official: Pop icon Britney Spears and former Disney queen Demi Lovato will occupy seats at the judges’ panel on Season 2 of The X Factor.

RELATED | Demi Lovato Lands X Factor Gig: Does She Have the Experience for the Job?

“I am so excited about this whole experience,” Spears said on stage, seeming just a bit nervous. “It’s going to be so much fun and so different from anything I’ve ever done. I’m ready to find the true star.”

Lovato then spoke, declaring herself to be “totally stoked” by both the opportunity to judge on X Factor and do so alongside Spears and returning judge/music producer L.A. Reid. “It’s an honor to be standing next to you,” she said to her colleagues. “I’m excited to represent my generation, and I’m ready to find the winner.”

With a nod to the two new judges, Reid called himself “the luckiest guy in the world,” and then waved the X Factor flag by saying the fab foursome represents “the Rolls Royce of television.”

Surveying X Factor‘s prospects for Season 2, in the wake of what some said was a disappointing debut last fall, Cowell said, “We started up well last year, but this year we are going to seriously kick butt.”

The X Factor will once again air Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8/7c; Fox’s full fall schedule can be found here.

Will you be tuning into this “new” X Factor?

1. Rolfe says:

Britney looks great! I’m so excited for this! I will not miss a second. She’s as big of a get Fox could find.

2. Jeff says:

Prediction: Worse ratings this season. The tumblr fangirls won’t save this sinking ship.

• fam says:

I am going to predict you are wrong, everytime Britney Spears appears on anything its a big event, I believe that both Glee and How I met your mother got their biggest ratings with Britneys appearance. Simon Cowell is a genius, I will watch just to see britney ,,,,I seriously dont know what to expect but im excited.

3. bad kevin says:

Britney & Demi are like Paula & Nicole…on crack:-(

4. Taffy says:

I liked XFactor up until Melanie started speaking with her accent. It confused me. Why couldn’t she just speak that way all along? It got me suspicious that it was a ploy to make her more interesting. I didn’t know if she was faking the way she spoke in the beginning, or if she was faking her accent for the second half of the season. I just hate that XFactor and Idol are so manipulated by production. I think with Brit Brit as a judge, I may want to tune in more. I stopped watching Idol after the first round of live shows. I just hate Randy and Jennifer now. I’m sad, I used to love Idol!! Wahhhhh

• rockmusicchick says:

I too taffy just hate jennifer and randy now esp randy… he used to be my fav judge. But since the voice started i dont like him anymore he changed (n yes i know he isnt on the voice n is on idol). I used to watch Idol religiously for 10 seasons. But this season is mostly unwatchable esp cuz how randy n jlo been. Its hard for me to even want to watch the xfactor cuz how la reid is. I dont like him as a person. But since britney n demi r going to be on the show ill at least tune into see the 1st night of the show. Still not as good though as the voice and esp not as good as the voice uk.

5. David says:

Simon Cowell has lost his mind. If you seriously were looking to break into the music business, would you put your career in the hands of crazy Britney Spears (who lip syncs every performance these days) or Demi Lovato (who isn’t out of her teens)? Who are they going to mentor…..the over 35′s…and the groups? Ridiculous choices.

• KSM says:

The X Factor is part singing competition, part performance, so I totally get the Britney hire. Not only will she totally pull in viewers, but she 100% gets how to work the system. I think people will actually value her insight. Now Demi Lovato on the other hand… that I don’t get. But I bet my 9 year old niece will be super excited.

• susela says:

Well, Britney will be able to coach them in how to lip sync convincingly . . . you don’t seriously think that other performers these days have no electronic help?

• Leila says:

Desperation for ratings. Those girls are bubble gum pop stars without any substance. If I were Demi’s mother I’d be concerned. It’s a lot of pressure on a show like this, especially with Simon who will not hesitate to fire his own mom.

• charles says:

agree

6. noa says:

this is just sexist. i mean, really? you couldn’t find to stable, credible women for your show? 2 singers who had a breakdown? a teenager? he’s keeping the credibility on the men’s side and it’s annoying. i’m sure he could find a woman who is a producer/vocal coach/song writer- something, other than a pop star. you need a big name? sure, hire Britney. but add another woman that is similar to you and LA. how about the music producer from the glee project? she was mean. i liked it… i’m sure she’s cheaper than both of them :)

• Sara says:

How…is that sexist in any way? It would be sexist if he decided girl judges would be of no use and decided to get two male judges instead. I think Britney and Demi are great choices *because* of their history. They know how tough it is, they know what’s going on, and they’re gonna be able to show these people how to deal with it now that they themselves have been through it. Demi has a disease; an illness. She isn’t crazy just for the heck of it, she isn’t crazy because the business screwed her up, she is sick and she has stepped up and decided to take care of herself. I don’t understand why it matters that she’s a teenager. Who cares? That doesn’t mean she doesn’t have any life experience and people shouldn’t be so quick to make assumptions.

7. BabyFirefly says:

It seems like Simon and Co. are more interested in the ratings bump Brittney and Demi are going to cause than any actual mentoring. I would imagine they’ll have a lot of people on hand to “help” them after how terrible Paula and Nicole were. At least I hope so, both of those girls seem a little bit on the fragile side to just dump into a show like this.

8. Grace says:

Brit needs to wear some clothes and I don’t know who Demi Lavato is. But, I will try to watch.

9. BG says:

At least Happy Days waited until Season 5 to jump the shark…

10. nickp91 says:

Britney Spears has joined the X Factor. I’m stupid exited

11. x says:

Britney looks good in that picture. Is there a video?

12. Boiler says:

Pretty funny! I think other posters right, more for ratings than developing any talent or have they anyway

13. Anon says:

Hate me all you want, but this is a TERRIBLE mistake. Demi? Really? She’s been in and out of rehab, has looked rough this past year. She’s still a kid foe crying out loud. No where NEAR as successful as Britney. Demi needs to get her life together, stop lying to her fans that she is “sober” and grow up. I’m NOT saying this to be mean. I think she has talent, she needs to get away from her enablers (sp?).

14. Sandi says:

I hate to be negative but I’m thinking “epic fail” here. I don’t know anything about the Demi person but Brittney Spears is about as insightful as a daydreaming 3rd grader.

15. Streak says:

Theyre both technically from Disney :P

16. PC says:

Will Deim or Brittney get to “coach” the over 40s group?
    That would be fun to watch.

17. Mary Beth says:

Don’t hold your hopes up Simon Cowell, you said that last year with 20 million tuning into “The Z-Factor”,

18. susela says:

I don’t even feel curious enough about how this turns out to tune in. At all.

19. JASon says:

They better try to diversify the talent a little bit!!! Their big screw up last year was having 80% RNB/Rap acts and virtually no Rock or Country. I thought Simon realized the formulas for Idol’s success was to have Singers from all genres. DOes anyone really care about Rap/RNB on these shows? The only successful artist have been Pop/ROck – Kelly Clarkson, Country – Carrie Underwood. Rock – Lambert/Daughtry. Hudson is really the only success in RNB.

20. Jack says:

What a garbage show, you couldn’t pay me to watch it. I cannot believe the level of idiocy being reached with these knockoff singing competitions. Cowell’s idea of singing has nothing to do with artistry, just marketing. He is the King of Musical Smut.

21. Martina says:

Following weeks of rumors, Spears and Lovato on Tuesday made their first promotional appearance on behalf of the singing competition at Fox’s upfront presentation of its 2012-13 slate, where they were introduced with much fanfare by network boss Kevin Reilly. em it’s still only Monday night, did you post this story a day too early????

22. JC says:

I can’t wait Kelly Clarkson one of my idols is doing Duets and Britney also an idol of mine is doing the X factor you will not regret this Simon she is big worldwide a lot will be tuning in for sure :)

23. connie says:

I barely know who Demi is. It is not a big draw for me. I also think they should have went with maybe a country singer. Maybe a rapper or r&b artist. Maybe Simon gave up to soon., And just picked the first person to say yes. I would have preferred Leann Rimes at least she is more talented

24. ronnel says:

I hope simon is more exciting in AI

25. TM2Bee says:

I can understand picking Britney. That’s pretty obvious despite her past troubles. But Demi? The only reason I know who she is, is because I have to ffwd thru her performances when she comes on idol. Girl cannot sing. And how will she react when Simon and LA get snarky. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

26. JC says:

Has Cowell shot him self in the foot again saying “We started up well last year, but this year we are going to seriously kick butt.”?? Last year he was bragging he was going to get 20 million viewers and he got just a little more than half that. Half of me kind of hopes it’ll do no better or worst that last season. I think initially the ratings will be higher with folks just wanting to see how lucid Britney is but I think the numbers will fall off after that. The Demi signing is just odd choice, way too young. As someone else suggested perhaps a country star like Leanne Rimes. Anyway, it is what it is.

27. Russ says:

While I love Britney and like Demi’s music, I not 100% sure they will be good judges. Demi is 17, and I don’t think Britney was in control of anything with her career which would explain why she shaved her head to control some part of her life.

28. Ramification says:

I imagine Demi auditioned / tested for the job. I remember people being up in arms about Dannii Minogue and Cheryl Cole the years they got hired as UK X Factir judges and both became very popular so I am taking a wait and see approach

29. oliver says:

i love demi lovato. but seriously, isn’t she too young and inexperienced enough to do this job? Simon’s credibility cannot carry the show alone.

30. Shaun says:

The problem with this show isn’t the judges,it’s the format of them being team leaders and them bickering or protecting their own groups interests.It’s very unhealthy for their show.

31. davidsask says:

Its not going to save the show or improve ratings at very least beyond first week. Why have they not announced who the host of show is yet?

32. Leo says:

Demi Lovato? They’re trusting her with a five million dollar contract? Seriously? What, Rebecca Black wasn’t available?

• Leila says:

Love the Rebecca Black comment, but I’m more concerned about this young girl’s well being than with the producers’ bet on her.